Type keyword(s) to search

Graham Norton Offers Cocktails And Talk, And What Else Is There, Really?

• Start Topic

It truly is one of the best things. I adore when you get some American on who has obviously never seen the show, is in the middle of a 50-city tour and about 4 minutes in gets a "what the hell is going on?" look in their eyes.

• Love 5

The Norton episode the photo is from is not a very good one--in good part because Denzel Washington turned out to be something of a raging bore, and Peter Capaldi not really into the interview.

But overall Graham Norton does a better show than most American talk show hosts. The whole "cocktail party" vibe, with all of the guests at once, has always been a breath of fresh air amongst the stale wind of most other shows, and has led to a lot of epicly entertaining episodes (just not this one).

Wonderful piece -- you really encapsulated what makes the show so much fun (and the Harrison Ford/Cumberbatch episode is one of the sweetest, funniest things ever -- who knew notorious grumpypants Ford would be so much fun and such a good sport??).

It's an absolutely terrific show, and the chemistry of the couch is what makes it so unexpected and cool. You never know what you'll end up with, and the best parts really are when unexpected couchmates react with real joy, humor and surprise at how interesting and fun the show experience is.

For me, Matt Damon summed it all up perfectly (from another fantastic couch assortment) when he spent most of his appearance last year laughing helplessly, then near the end of the show, said "This is the best talk show I've ever been on," and you could tell he totally meant it.

For people who haven't watched Graham yet, you're in for a real treat. It's fab.

• Love 5

Matt Damon's exact words were "This is the most fun I've ever had on a talk show," but I think he'd agree with your paraphrase. That episode was one of the best ever.

The show posts the drink orders after a series is over (S15 is up right now) and many of the guests are only drinking water -- but those who need a little help get it. The everyone-on-the-couch format *is* part of what works, but I have to give credit to Graham, who makes it look easy but is really gifted, and to the Brits and other guests who "get" the show and prod the others to engage in conversation with each other, not just the host. Some U.S. guests are favorites because they regularly participate, like Cameron Diaz and Bradley Cooper.

I don't watch any American talk shows, but I've been watching this on YouTube for several years (it doesn't get cut for time as it does on BBCA). You can get completely lost in the clips and full episodes over there. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Edited by mrsdalgliesh
  • Love 1
The Norton episode the photo is from is not a very good one--in good part because Denzel Washington turned out to be something of a raging bore, and Peter Capaldi not really into the interview.

Really? I enjoyed both of them. I loved Peter's story of filming "Three Musketeers" in the Czech Republic, finding out that one of the boys there loved "Doctor Who," but he couldn't tell the youngster he was going to be the next Doctor. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I am not liking it. That used to happen every once in a while. For example, when the first guests had to go off to the actual London premiere of the film they were there to promote, or something. Now it seems to be every week. Boo hiss, says I.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

Watched James Corben last night and I so want him to have Graham on!  Please!

Graham's a fairly busy man though.  When's he in L.A. anyway?  Likely once per decade.

Ohh and I just realized Miranda Hart has a book coming out the same month!  I so hope she is on a 'small' (or would it be 'short'?) couch and they can talk books for once.  I love when Miranda is on with maybe the 'big' star being an American who isn't that familiar with the show and a Brit who is.  Like maybe Adele, Matt Damon and Miranda.  I think that could be my dream show.  I'd love to hear what Adele would have to say about Graham's first fictional effort.  She'd be dear but plenty blunt. 

Odd bit of rumor regarding Graham.  Seems the Jolie wants to move to London and become the latest pretentious tool with a phony accent have gone as far to whisper she is trying to get on the show as soon as possible as a guest to stake her claim on popular British television.  The whole thing seems odd but I remember how odd I thought her parading into the UN with a scarf over her head when the last two times I remember her was 1) tonguing her brother and 2)my mother's frantic looks to see my reaction when she and Thornton almost fell out of their limo onto the red carpet still in mid-coitus and bragging about their back seat penetration.  The whole about face image wise always felt so contrived and   I felt like the kid who had to point out I could see the Emperor's junk.

But it shows how far Graham has come if even the rumors place him as prime British real estate for the attention greedy Jolie and Pitt. 

• Love 1

Well, the widget at the BBCA website tells me we're getting S20 E1 Saturday night 10/8 at 10 pm. For an hour (minus commercials). So, that's something for us poor benighted Yanks, right?

• Love 1
On 9/26/2016 at 7:53 PM, tenativelyyours said:

Odd bit of rumor regarding Graham.  Seems the Jolie wants to move to London and become the latest pretentious tool with a phony accent have gone as far to whisper she is trying to get on the show as soon as possible as a guest to stake her claim on popular British television.  The whole thing seems odd but I remember how odd I thought her parading into the UN with a scarf over her head when the last two times I remember her was 1) tonguing her brother and 2)my mother's frantic looks to see my reaction when she and Thornton almost fell out of their limo onto the red carpet still in mid-coitus and bragging about their back seat penetration.  The whole about face image wise always felt so contrived and   I felt like the kid who had to point out I could see the Emperor's junk.

But it shows how far Graham has come if even the rumors place him as prime British real estate for the attention greedy Jolie and Pitt. 

she seems to be a nutcase. nothing should surprise anyone.

On 7/13/2016 at 4:09 PM, tenativelyyours said:

Graham has his first novel coming out this fall. Just in time for the new season.   I'm wondering what the odds are that if Taylor Swift or Anne Hathaway is on in the following months, it will be required reading for at least one of their assistants. 

am reading it now and i love it. i didn't know he authored anything, i'll have to check out his memoir.

It was fun watching both of them trying to start things at the beginning, and then they found their rhythm. The only book of Graham's I've read is the compilation of his advice columns, and while the questions don't have much variation after a while, Graham's responses are hilarious. He's also very empathetic where he needs to be. But when people need a talking-to, he doesn't stint.

• Love 1
On 7/13/2016 at 4:09 PM, tenativelyyours said:

Graham has his first novel coming out this fall. Just in time for the new season.   I'm wondering what the odds are that if Taylor Swift or Anne Hathaway is on in the following months, it will be required reading for at least one of their assistants. 

i loved it! i hope he writes more...

One thing I definitely realized, Watch What Happens Live really is a low-rent, less classy version of this show.

Of course, you could make the same comparison between Andy Cohen and Graham as well.

• Love 1

My DVR picked up a new show for this Friday on BBC America.

There are 5 guests listed, plus a singer, but the show is only listed as 44 minutes long. 

Does anyone know if Graham is doing shows remotely or is this another compilation show?

ETA: Just checked twitter and it looks like it was a 30 minute special remote episode. 

I'm looking forward to having Graham back on my tv.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 2