Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

On 11/8/2017 at 10:06 PM, mojoween said:

Walmart, how about you show what an actual store looks like during the holiday season? Because the fairy tale one in your Holiday Helper ad does not exist in any universe.

Um, yeah. The reality doesn't match what they dream up in the headquarters. 

• Love 5

In the Kay Jewelers ad with the couple in the chaotic Christmas household featuring the child riding his bike through the house (which, no.) the necklace the guy gives his lady may be the ugliest piece of jewelry I have ever seen. The pendant is so damn big.

I do like dad in the recliner with closed eyes who says “I’m watching that” when someone tries to take the remote because I also have that father.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

I do like dad in the recliner with closed eyes who says “I’m watching that” when someone tries to take the remote because I also have that father.

You mean, my mother? ?

• Love 9

I was not really paying attention to the Best Buy commercial last night until I looked up right at the point they said you could get a Roomba for the cat. And there was a cat that looked like our Charlie sitting on the Roomba.  Love it!

• Love 6
On 11/12/2017 at 1:43 PM, mojoween said:

Sis, is that you?!

My dad's excuse, "I'm just resting my eyelids" never fails to crack me up.

Once again, the only Christmas commercial of which I never tire--The babies in the Pampers commercial sleeping in heavenly peace.  That ad just melts all my Grinch away.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Sis, is that you?!

My dad's excuse, "I'm just resting my eyelids" never fails to crack me up.

LOL, that was my Dad's excuse! That, or, "I'm just checking my eyelids for pin holes." Or he'd let one rip and when we'd complain, tell us it was the dog (outside in the doghouse), or act innocent and inform us that "The smeller's the feller." He once dropped his dentures and a front tooth popped out. He told the guys at work that Mom hit him with a frying pan. She would never do something like that and was a foot shorter than him, anyway, so we thought that was hilarious. The guys at work that had met Mom informed the rest that he was fibbing again. He was a hoot and I miss him.

• Love 17
29 minutes ago, riley702 said:

LOL, that was my Dad's excuse! That, or, "I'm just checking my eyelids for pin holes." Or he'd let one rip and when we'd complain, tell us it was the dog (outside in the doghouse), or act innocent and inform us that "The smeller's the feller." He once dropped his dentures and a front tooth popped out. He told the guys at work that Mom hit him with a frying pan. She would never do something like that and was a foot shorter than him, anyway, so we thought that was hilarious. The guys at work that had met Mom informed the rest that he was fibbing again. He was a hoot and I miss him.

Your Dad sounds wonderful!  Just like mine was, so mischievous and funny and special!

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Whatever happened to those Norelco commercials? Remember the one with Santa riding the electric shaver like sleigh? They used to be the harbingers of the Season.

Norelco is now Philips Norelco.  Maybe they don't want the old branding.

• Love 1
On 11/19/2017 at 0:52 AM, ivygirl said:

Oh, hooray. I've seen the return of the "Fa lalala DAICK! DAICK! DAICK the halls! D-D-DAICK! DAICK! DAICK the halls!" ads. Thanks a lot, Acura.

OMG, I was about to come out here and complain about that. I hate that commercial with the heat of 1000 nuns. 

• Love 3

You know what I haven't seen this year?  Seymour butt necklaces.  I guess the market was saturated so they stopped using tv ads? 

Out of curiosity I googled and yes, you can still buy them at Kay's and Zale's.  Christmas is saved.

• Love 6

I can't even remember which company this is for, but I *hate* the commercial in which the boy at different ages keeps looking out the window on Christmas for a new car. And then as an adult, he finally gets one. The two things that really drive me over the edge are 1) His over-the-top goofy look when he spots the car; and 2) His wife's "oh, he sees it?" reaction. I just kind of want to smack her. 

And that song! "Toylaaaand. Toylaaaand." 

• Love 3

I want a five-year moratorium on using the Carol of the Bells in holiday commercials and an absolute moratorium on using it in commercials aired before December 1. I'm tired of being assaulted by various rock versions of it between the week before Thanksgiving and the week after New Year's.

• Love 11
51 minutes ago, EighteenTwelve said:

I want a five-year moratorium on using the Carol of the Bells in holiday commercials and an absolute moratorium on using it in commercials aired before December 1. I'm tired of being assaulted by various rock versions of it between the week before Thanksgiving and the week after New Year's.

I love Carol of the Bells, I think it's a beautiful piece of music. It's unfortunate that it is a Christmas song. A lovely piece of music doesn't deserve to be reviled because it's over used.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, janie jones said:

There's an Amope commercial saying that an Amope device would make a good Christmas present.  If someone has expressed a desire for something like this, okay, but otherwise it seems like kind of an insulting gift.

I feel the same way about the ads for Keranique (shampoos and treatments for women’s hair loss). They’re always mentioning (on radio at least—can’t recall the tv spots) that their starter packs make a great gift. Unless you SPECIFICALLY ask for something to help thinning hair... who’s gonna be super stoked to get this kind of thing as a present?  “Hey, honey, I don’t wanna spend the rest of our marriage calling ya ‘Baldy,’ so here’s some hair treatment to take care of that bald patch of lawn on the crown of your head... wait, what do you mean I’m sleeping on the couch tonight?”

• Love 8
12 hours ago, janie jones said:

There's an Amope commercial saying that an Amope device would make a good Christmas present.  If someone has expressed a desire for something like this, okay, but otherwise it seems like kind of an insulting gift.

Reminds me of the year my brother and I both got tubes of toothpaste in our stockings.  My poor mom had no imagination.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Reminds me of the year my brother and I both got tubes of toothpaste in our stockings.  My poor mom had no imagination.

My husband's grandparents were from the depression era, and were seriously scarred by it. They were thrifty beyond the point of reason, despite the fact that his grandfather made a fortune in real estate in the 60's. Their Christmas gifts to each other were toothpaste, shampoo, shaving cream, etc., wrapped in newspaper.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

At least if you're giving someone toothpaste, it's a universal gift.  If you're giving someone an Amope (that they didn't ask for), then you're saying they need to fix their feet.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I still fill my (adult) kids' stockings with with stuff like toothbrushes, vitamins, zinc tablets, (plus some candy) etc.  They'd be disappointed if I didn't get them new toothbrushes.  It's a tradition and you never stop being a mom.  LOL

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, friendperidot said:

brusha, brusha, brusha with the new Ipana...something...good for your teeth.

"... with a brand-new flavor, it's dandy for your teeth." 

And now I have Bucky Beaver in my head.  In another thread, someone mentioned Feliz Navidad, and that ran on a loop in my brain for a good half hour.  I don't think this is an improvement.

• Love 5
On November 28, 2017 at 11:02 AM, friendperidot said:

brusha, brusha, brusha with the new Ipana...

Yep, that sprang into memory as soon as I saw the name. Ipana seemed to be one of the prime sponsors of The Mickey Mouse Club in the 1950s, so I saw the commercials pretty much every day. Bucky Beaver!

Brusha brusha brusha, new Ipana toofpaste,

Brusha brusha brusha, knocks out decay germs fast.

(Fast?)

Fast! You sure are right!

It's dandy for your tee-eef.

All the spots on YouTube are slightly later variations (Bucky is a knight, a salesman, etc.), not the pure original.

• Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, peacheslatour said:

I love Carol of the Bells, I think it's a beautiful piece of music. It's unfortunate that it is a Christmas song. A lovely piece of music doesn't deserve to be reviled because it's over used.

For me, it's not the music.  It's the horrible Manheim Steamroller/Trans-Siberian Orchestra massacre of it that I can't stand.

• Love 5