Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Return To Hell

Loved Badass Ruth!  I'm so glad that SOMEBODY finally shot the sumbitch, and I'm especially glad she had the pleasure.  I loved the look in her eyes when she did it. Poor Ezra.  I had a feeling he wasn't long for this world.  I was kind of surprised when Cullen and Ruth were on the wagon with his body, and nobody in the town even seemed to notice; they were just going on about their business.  There was a couple in the background that was just walking like they were taking a nice stroll and I'm sure they noticed the small coffin.  I realize that people are just used to death in the old West, and they're numb to it, but this was a child. 

When Sidney Snow and Cullen were at the stand-off, and Psalms was standing near Cullen, I was afraid that Snow was going to shoot Psalms.

So Eva's turned into a cold-blooded killer.  I guess she had a justified grudge against the dude, but man.  I don't like the direction her character has gone in.  I thought for a moment there that Louise was interested in Eva killing that old guy because she was pondering killing Campbell.  I still don't know what her end game with him is.  All I know is that I'm not liking her much right now.

I refuse to acknowledge the Norwegian or the Mormons.

• Love 1

I am done with this show.  I am sick and tired of this lesbophobic bs.  Clearly the show couldn't figure out what to do with the lesbian character so they said lets have her awaken to the pleasure of penis.  Unbelievable.  Watching this show since episode 1 and to see it indulge in this trope makes me want to vomit. 

At least it can join that long, long list - there is actually a tumblr dedicated to lesbian characters who find themselves unable to resist the allure of sleeping with a man. So Hell on Wheels can join that.  Way to ruin the show. 

All right, Church Lady!  The sermon next week will be "An eye for an eye".  Did they whiten her face up a bit for that scene?  She looked positively ghostly, as in Angel of Death. 

When Ezra went missing, I was almost sure that Sidney had taken him for use as a hostage.  Tough end for the boy; and now we won't have the confrontation with him and Gunderson.  Obviously TV Brigham Young knows what's going on with him (I use that moniker because I have no idea what his actual character was like).

What specifically did Eva's victim do to her?  Not that I'm defending him, I've just forgotten the character.

• Love 1
So Eva's turned into a cold-blooded killer.  I guess she had a justified grudge against the dude, but man.  I don't like the direction her character has gone in.  I thought for a moment there that Louise was interested in Eva killing that old guy because she was pondering killing Campbell.  I still don't know what her end game with him is.  All I know is that I'm not liking her much right now.

I don't know, IMO Eva killing that guy wasn't too different than Ruth blowing Child Killer's guts out. Whether it was justice or revenge, they both did what they did for similar reasons. And Ruth did it in front of a whole hell of a lot of witnesses, which is apparently going to bite her in the ass later. The only one who knows what Eva did doesn't seem to have much interest in telling anyone about it

I am done with this show.  I am sick and tired of this lesbophobic bs.  Clearly the show couldn't figure out what to do with the lesbian character so they said lets have her awaken to the pleasure of penis.  Unbelievable.  Watching this show since episode 1 and to see it indulge in this trope makes me want to vomit. 

At least it can join that long, long list - there is actually a tumblr dedicated to lesbian characters who find themselves unable to resist the allure of sleeping with a man. So Hell on Wheels can join that.  Way to ruin the show. 

With respect, I think that's a radical interpretation of the text. Louise didn't seem to be basking in the afterglow, and if anything she seemed to want to just get the hell out of there and away from Campbell. If she had been swooning in the aftermath, I'd agree with you, but she wasn't.

• Love 1

This show can make me so mad. I never have forgiven them for killing Lily, and now they go and kill Ezra. It makes no sense.The Swede is still out there and apparently on a collision course with Cullen (again *sigh*).Tonight we see Ezra interested in learning how to use a gun. That sounded like a good setup for a confrontation between those two. Well that's clearly not going to happen so what was the point, then? To give Cullen yet another person to grieve over and feel guilty about? They sure do love to pile on their main character, but I'm tired of it.

• Love 3

I was afraid last week that this would be the outcome, so I was less than enthusiastic even though last week's was awesome on its own. I've never much cared for the actress who plays Ruth, but she was amazing in all her scenes tonight! IMO both Ruth and Eva did what needed to be done. As Cullen pointed out, had he taken care of Sidney back when a whole lot of misery could have been avoided. And we have a blatant example of someone whose 'sell by' date has long since expired in the immortal Swede.

I would think that child killing might be more of a sticking point, but we each have our threshholds I guess.

• Love 1

I thought it was a very good episode, as difficult as some of it was.

Poor Cullen, finding Ezra basically the same way he found his son (Joshua), hiding, burned to death, except Ezra was alone instead of having someone who loved him holding him to the end. (Call-back to the excellent campfire scene in season 1.) Appreciated Mickey's sensitivity in quietly mentioning the hiding place.

Cullen's comment to Sidney that he's done with killing rang false though, especially now that he's the lawman, and considering that his failure to act left Sidney alive to wreak more havoc. With another confrontation with the Swede obviously coming, let's hope he'll kill at least once more. (If Thor survives the end of the season... there are no words.)

Poor Ruth. She really has lost everything and everyone she's cared about. I can't imagine what she can hold on to now, but seriously, show, do not hang Ruth. (I'm glad we were spared any sort of visual of Ezra.) Kasha K. nailed it through the whole episode, as she has done before when actually given something to work with.

Eva has pretty much lost herself. I can't entirely blame her; she's reached her tipping point after losing everything too. I loved her speech about all the people she's been, but that rapist guy was the worst piece of shit she'd ever seen (paraphrasing). From a pure storytelling point, I liked seeing both women act - of course they're capable of killing - but it's painful to see them pushed to it. I did like Louise going to talk to her -- there just isn't enough interaction between the women on the show.

Louise mentioned curiosity triumphing over experience, which seemed to be about "sleeping with the enemy" vs. her work, yet she's still going to write the article about justice. Whatever it is she has with Campbell, there appears to be very little if any emotion; it feels like there's some ulterior motive there, but who knows what. There also seemed to be something more to her questioning Eva than the fact that the guy also attacked her (beat her, as I recall, rather than rape) -- I, too, wondered if it relates to Campbell. Overall, Louise is still an enigma.

And now we have a month-long hiatus with just 3 episodes to go. There's a Walking Dead marathon next week, but that normally airs on Sunday, doesn't it? Anyone know why they're holding HoW?

Edited by justmehere

So they're setting the Swede on a collision course with Cullen again.  Oh yay.  Because we were all clamoring for more of that.

I wanted to like this episode because it had a lot of really solid elements to it.  I like that Cullen and Durant and Mickey and all of the railroad men for once are united and on the same page.  I like that we're finally seeing the women interact with each other.  I like that Campbell didn't even try to argue that naming Sidney marshal wasn't the absolute wrong thing to do and makes him responsible for this whole mess.  And yet.  We've spent a full season now with Ezra, waiting for the shoe to drop that he's the witness who can finally and definitively name the Swede as the murderer of his family and he dies in the church fire.  So what was the point?  To give our hero one more person who depended on him to mourn?  Ruth looked absolutely stunning after she gunned Sidney down, but her character has been so all over the place that I'm never quite sure whether I like her or not or whether I'm even supposed to.  Her speech about all the things she never knew about Ezra and that he would never do now was nice though.

And going by the previews, Sidney isn't even dead.  So we still have two psychos on the canvas and we know this show's track record for being willing to kill such characters off.  Sigh.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 3

I was afraid last week that this would be the outcome, so I was less than enthusiastic even though last week's was awesome on its own. I've never much cared for the actress who plays Ruth, but she was amazing in all her scenes tonight! IMO both Ruth and Eva did what needed to be done. As Cullen pointed out, had he taken care of Sidney back when a whole lot of misery could have been avoided. And we have a blatant example of someone whose 'sell by' date has long since expired in the immortal Swede.

I would think that child killing might be more of a sticking point, but we each have our threshholds I guess.

If every child on a drama died because screenwriters seemed to have no clue what to do with them than you better believe I would be complaining about that being the most overused trope on tv.  While my mind went to Deadwood which also used a child's death to create drama, the expectation when watching a drama on tv is not there's a child so clearly the show will have him or her die. 

When a lesbian is on a tv show or in a movie, the expectation is she will clearly mess around with a man because that is, according to screenwriters, apparently what all lesbians do.  If they can't figure a way to have her mess around with a man, she is going to die.  Louise sleeping with Campbell is simply a case of they can't figure out what to do with the character and need some character in the town to have a relationship with Campbell.  So why not the lesbian.  We all know that, according to tv, they all have curiosity in making out with men. 

Edited by dohe

When a lesbian is on a tv show or in a movie, the expectation is she will clearly mess around with a man because that is, according to screenwriters, apparently what all lesbians do.  If they can't figure a way to have her mess around with a man, she is going to die.  Louise sleeping with Campbell is simply a case of they can't figure out what to do with the character and need some character in the town to have a relationship with Campbell.  So why not the lesbian.  We all know that, according to tv, they all have curiosity in making out with men. 

We don't know that Louise is a lesbian -- she could be bisexual.  Either way, I think she's up to something with Campbell.

• Love 1

We don't know that Louise is a lesbian -- she could be bisexual.  Either way, I think she's up to something with Campbell.

There was nothing to show Louise has interest in men.  Nothing at all.  It is one thing for a woman whose relationships are with men to be hiding an interest in women.  But apparently she was hiding her interest in men? 

This is not a much needed case of bisexual representation.  This is a case of lesbian representation where they don't know what to do with the lesbian so they have her have sex with a guy.  The show is all but saying that all Louise needed all along was some good old sex with a guy.  It may even be hiniting that assault earlier in the season turned her on to men.  Her only problem is it is a bad person but hey the sex is so incredible she has let all moral boundaries - such as hiring a child killer - down.  This is a sickening plotline and it shows just how little respect is given to lesbians yet again. 

Anyways, I don't mean to sabotage the thread on one element.  I feel so let down by this show right now and am in such a state of disappointment because I expected more.  While I figured that they would probably find some way to have Louise have sex with a guy, I was still hopeful that this show would maybe be different.  It is such a shame.  Such a terrible shame that this show has been ruined. 

Edited by dohe

We all know that, according to tv, they all have curiosity in making out with men. 

We do? Because I didn't expect it, and since I am part of 'we' I think you're exaggerating a bit. Although it's interesting that you brought up Deadwood, which did the reverse of the Louise/Campbell situation when they had Jane and Joanie randomly share a kiss, despite the fact that the real Calamity Jane was married and had a daughter. I don't think you can take one incident as some sweeping statement about Louise's sexuality. Granted, I'd be interested to see the show expand on the bonding moment she had with  Eva when Eva said, "He done you too, didn't he?" and Louise didn't disagree with her. But that has nothing to do with "Gay now!" which I find much more obnoxious.

And if you notice, Campbell was the one lounging in the bed smoking while Louise was already up and dressed, so its not like she was asking him to fix her breakfast or whatever. If it was really as good as you're saying the show was trying to tell us it was, wouldn't she have seemed happier about it? Also, Eva told her prior to that, "Things get done to you long enough, you can do anything. You'll see." Of course Eva was talking about being violated and her response to it, but if you're looking for a sweeping statement, then that means Louise might end up doing any damn thing.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 2

A woman who has only been with a man or men entering a romance with a woman does happen on tv as in real life.  A woman who has only been with a woman or women entering a romance with a man happens in real life too.  The difference is quite simple.  Almost all women on tv who have been with men only do not find themselves attracted to women.  It is the exception when it occurs and not the rule.  Whereas almost all women on tv who have only been with women, shown attraction to only women, and/or are out lesbians end up attracted to a man.  In this case it is the rule not the exception. 

If all women who identified as straight on tv were falling for women you better believe I would be calling it out too.  It happens some but rarely.  As for men, it is extremely rare to see a man who has only been with women fall for a man and it rare to see a man who has only been with men fall for a woman.  There is a reason the lesbian messing around with a man trope stands out.  Because again it is the rule on tv and not the exception (unlike those other scenarios). 

That said, the more I think about it the more inflammatory and offensive this subplot is.  Is the show saying the assault on Louise began a desire to be with men?  Is the show saying the assault on Louise made her realize she wants aggressive, violent men? In the discussion with Eva, is the show hinting that Louise was sexually assaulted in the past and that is why she went with a woman?  What the hell is going on with this show?  I cannot see a path that would be taken that is not vile, loathsome and pushing a sickening and degrading viewpoint of lesbianism. It seems no matter what path is taken, the show seems stuck in a screwed up 1940's mindset.

Edited by dohe
  • Love 1

On a side note, I liked Swede Gunderson's appearance a lot more when he had his Mormon beard on.  Right now he looks like an extra from The Walking Dead.  Also got a chuckle out of Huntington's remark about his Norwegian name, and Gunderson's surprised reaction.

• Love 1
I don't know, IMO Eva killing that guy wasn't too different than Ruth blowing Child Killer's guts out. Whether it was justice or revenge, they both did what they did for similar reasons. And Ruth did it in front of a whole hell of a lot of witnesses, which is apparently going to bite her in the ass later.

Oh, I think the two killings were quite different.  I know that guy raped Eva but he was just lying there, injured and helpless.  Plus, as bad as the crime of rape is, the injury was only done to her.  And he didn't kill anyone.  Sidney Snow, on the other hand, killed/injured many people, on top of killing two children.  I also think that what Ruth did was more "righteous" because she killed Snow in front of a crowd, unlike Eva who sneaked and suffocated the guy.   So, no way am I equating Ruth's killing with Eva's.

Oh, I think the two killings were quite different.  I know that guy raped Eva but he was just lying there, injured and helpless.  Plus, as bad as the crime of rape is, the injury was only done to her.  And he didn't kill anyone.  Sidney Snow, on the other hand, killed/injured many people, on top of killing two children.  I also think that what Ruth did was more "righteous" because she killed Snow in front of a crowd, unlike Eva who sneaked and suffocated the guy.   So, no way am I equating Ruth's killing with Eva's.

Didn't Eva's victim also attack Louise, as was brought out later in the episode? I think you're right that the circumstances were different, but I think the dispensing of justice was pretty equal. This was likely Eva's only shot and she took it. I imagine Louise's article about justice will be read in voiceover as we witness the fallout for both Ruth and Eva in a future episode.

Great episode. I will certainly will miss Ezra. And Ruth.What a shocker! You have to wonder what lies ahead for her. She cares for Cullen who happens to be married.(if you can call that being married) Shes lost Ezra and the church. If Snow dies then shell probably go on trial. Seems to me her and Cullen are travelling similar paths. You have to wonder where its all going to end.

I'm really disappointed in the direction TPTB have chosen to take the characters and the series this season.  It wasn't like I was particularly fond of Ezra or anything, but I was anticipating the moment that he would unmask The Swede and finally destroy that man.  I thought Ezra's admission that he was Mormon was the first step in that process.  I was looking forward to that.  Ezra looked like the centre of that very trying Mormon compound/Cullen's imprisonment/Gundersson still on the canvas storyline.  It seemed to me that Ezra was the only reason for that storyline.  Wasn't that why he survived when his parents drowned?  Wasn't that why he escaped?  For me, that kid was Chekhov's Gun and I wanted him aimed at The Swede, so I could finally be rid of that character.  Instead, he dies quietly and pointlessly in the church.  And for what?  To show me that Sidney Snow is a bad guy?  I already got that.  To show me that Ruth has a breaking point?  Got that too.  In her own way, Ruth's always been fairly hardcore.  She had a loving relationship outside the bounds of matrimony with a societal outsider.  She stopped putting up with her father's crap.  She built her own church and her own life in a time when unmarried women had few rights.  I didn't need to see her shoot someone to get that she's a tough woman.  I'm glad she shot him though because my worst fear for this show would be Sidney Snow teaming up with The Swede to continue their vendetta against Cullen.  I'd have given up for good if that happened.

In other storylines, I have deep reservations about Louise and Campbell.  I get that she might be curious but Campbell's not just some guy.  He's the governor of the territory.  He may be discreet but I don't see the need for this storyline.  Louise and Campbell are natural enemies.  She wants to expose truths; he'd prefer to hide some truths and spin others to make himself and his situation look good.  Why not do that story without the sex? 

I continue to dislike the direction Eva's taken.  In summation, I'm not happy with the show right now.  I'm glad it's taking a break.

• Love 6
Didn't Eva's victim also attack Louise, as was brought out later in the episode?

Maybe he did, but sometimes I have difficulty understanding what the characters are saying (especially Cullen).  I've resorted to using closed caption but I didn't have it on for the entire episode.  So perhaps I missed the conversation. 

• Love 1

I refuse to acknowledge the Norwegian or the Mormons.

Yes, and if the Swede/Norwegian character still alive and kicking isn't enough now the Powers that Be want me to have to endure those two stupid curls on the front of the Swede's head?  I gotta look at that all day?  Just.no.

• Love 3

I have watched this show from the first episode and have finally had enough.   I enjoyed the first two seasons and was very disappointed when the character of Lily was killed off.   The last two years have been a disjointed mess of characters coming and going with no real importance to the story..in my opinion.   Why is it so many people are killed off yet the Swede gets to live on? I don't think there is a TV character more deserving of death then he is.   The killing of Ezra last nite was the final straw for me...time to find a new show.

Sad to say that I am actually hoping that Cullen is the next character killed off!!

• Love 2

I am new to HOW this season although I have watched bits and pieces of past seasons because my mom's such a fan.  Don't know what to think about this season but I'm not really liking it so much.  I went from not being able to wait for the new episode to air to each week to yesterday thinking "Meh, maybe I'll skip tonight's epi and watch the old black and white horror film 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' with my kid" (which I actually did).  Quelle nightmare!  Is the bloom off the rose for me?

I know the aim of the show's s'posed to be a raw, edgy, no-holes barred, darkish drama/series but some of the things that grate and are making me profoundly lose interest: 

Constant killing off of main characters in the series - overkill in my opinion; the writers should pull back on that a bit because the killings happen so much and so often now the viewers are a littled jaded?  Numbed out? so the over all "shock" factor lessens?  Every character I invest in dies suddenly so what's the point if I can't root for more than Cullen?

I don't like that TPTB are heaping and piling so damned much misery on Cullen week after week after week with no break.  It's exhausting and I'm just a viewer!  Like the poster up thread mentioned, its like you sort of want Cullen to be the next character killed off (Not really, but ...) - you want Cullen to be killed off just to put him out of his misery.  The writers need to pull back on that as well. 

Can't viewers just see Cullen in one love scene this season?  Just for about 5 minutes?  I wish Cullen and Ruth would fall/cry in each other's arms leading up to something more (if you know what I mean).  Give Cullen one good moment this season please.  I also do not like the dark path that Eva's character's going down.  Making me not like her so much these days and I was absolutely pulling for her all season!  So is this "blackjack expert/card-counting diva" going to be Eva's storyline this season?, female gambler, pulling herself out of poverty by cheating at cards? 

Now that Ezra's dead are the writers ever going to tie up the loose ends of that storyline (i.e. - Ruth finding out how Ezra's family was killed, etc.?) or are they just going to leave that hanging?  I am hoping that's the reason the Swede's not off my TV screen yet - the writers need the Swede's past to be revealed to Ruth? 

Lastly, I have a very difficult time with all the mumbling going on.  Maybe HOW should go the route of "Teen Mom" and use subtitles when necessary.  Um, its stupid.  If I can't understand what the characters say (and I know Cullen's supposed to be country and all) but if I can't hear what the characters say, what's the point?  How can I follow the story?  My mom complains about this incessantly so I know its not just me.

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 2

I, too, am getting tired of all the suffering--Cullen can't get a break, well-liked characters getting killed, bad guys lingering on episodes well past their "sell by" dates.  It's no way I want to spend my Saturday nights. 

Maybe he did, but sometimes I have difficulty understanding what the characters are saying (especially Cullen).  I've resorted to using closed caption but I didn't have it on for the entire episode.  So perhaps I missed the conversation.

Me, too!!!!! It drives me nuts! Why does it do that? I thought it was our TV.

I cannot see a path that would be taken that is not vile, loathsome and pushing a sickening and degrading viewpoint of lesbianism. It seems no matter what path is taken, the show seems stuck in a screwed up 1940's mindset.

Here's the thing. I think perhaps you're expecting modern, enlightened thinking out of a character who is living in post-Civil War America. Given the time period, slavery had just been abolished or was still in the process of being abolished. Homosexuality was considered a psychological disorder until something like the nineteen sixties. Lesbianism might be different from male homosexuality, but I don't see how it would be realistic for Louise to be out and proud given the era, and that seems to be the root of your complaint. I might just be extrapolating too much, but I think you're doing a bit of the same out of one event.

Oh, I think the two killings were quite different.  I know that guy raped Eva but he was just lying there, injured and helpless.  Plus, as bad as the crime of rape is, the injury was only done to her.  And he didn't kill anyone. 

Maybe I'm just bloody-minded, but I'm not particularly inclined to get exercised over a rapist dying. It was something he did to Eva because she was helpless to stop him, so him being helpless against her doesn't bother me. What Child Killer did wasn't technically to Ruth, but she was still feeling the hurt of it, and she even asked Cullen to do it for her when they buried Ezra. It bothers me a lot more that she might end up paying for it than the fact that she actually did it.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 3

Colbalt, please quote where that is the root of my complaint.  This storyline is not Louise starts having sex with a guy because she is worried about how people in the town view her.  This storyline has not, in any way, shown itself to be about her hiding her liking of women. This storyline is she begins having sex with the most hated guy in town after he makes a child killer marshall and she clearly craves that sex as she returns for seconds.  If the show demonstrated her hiding her sexuality by entering a show romance with one of the liked guys in town it would be one thing.  It clearly is not.  My complaint is the lesbian character craves dick all of a sudden (probably because the show writers are clueless of what to do with the character) and my fear is they are trying to either tie her new desire to having been assaulted or say her being with a woman and not being with men was due to a sexual assault long ago. 

Didn't Eva's victim also attack Louise, as was brought out later in the episode? I think you're right that the circumstances were different, but I think the dispensing of justice was pretty equal. This was likely Eva's only shot and she took it. I imagine Louise's article about justice will be read in voiceover as we witness the fallout for both Ruth and Eva in a future episode.

Another thing is there are no modern burn centers. Even if someone else caught Eva it may have been written off as the hard thing someone had to do to prevent additional suffering. Just what Cullen did out of love for Elam days before Edited by Raja
  • Love 3

This storyline is not Louise starts having sex with a guy because she is worried about how people in the town view her. This storyline has not, in any way, shown itself to be about her hiding her liking of women. This storyline is she begins having sex with the most hated guy in town after he makes a child killer marshall and she clearly craves that sex as she returns for seconds. If the show demonstrated her hiding her sexuality by entering a show romance with one of the liked guys in town it would be one thing. It clearly is not. My complaint is the lesbian character craves dick all of a sudden (probably because the show writers are clueless of what to do with the character) and my fear is they are trying to either tie her new desire to having been assaulted or say her being with a woman and not being with men was due to a sexual assault long ago.

I don't know what Louise is up to, but I don't see her liking the sex (her expression doesn't seem to say that she likes it) and there is no return for seconds--the same scenario is in two scenes, but it's only one encounter. She definitely seemed to have an agenda,and I don't think we've seen even close to all of it. Also, there was a definite moment when first Mickey and then Cullen made eye contact with her while they were walking back out to the railroad, and Mickey then give a glance up to Campbell. They seemed to be acknowledging her in some fashion.

I also think it's a huge overstatement to suggest that Louise has no storyline outside one sexual encounter in one afternoon. She has the newpaper, and a variety of interactions through the paper. She has also been the only woman conncting with other women, specifically Ruth and Eva. She has fought for her place, including getting an actual building (and a pretty nice one) to run her paper out of, and I have the impression that her stories are being carried by wire or train back East where they may be picked up by other papers. She is in a position of authority and none of the men have tried to oust her from her place in a long time. She is a strong and distinctive woman. To paraphrase Cosmia from Orphan Black--her sexuality is the least interesting thing about her.

• Love 4

Ailianna, it is shown at the end of the latest episode that she has gone back for sex again with the Governor.  She gets dressed again and tells him he won't like her article that much.  But she does go back for sex again.  As for the eye contact scene, it seemed more about it being noticed that she had messed with the Governor. 

Also I hardly see anything strong in a woman who has sex with someone, man or woman, who has just hired someone she knows is a child killer. 

I like Cosima on Orphan Black.  Of course Orphan Black would not have Cosima being assaulted and it open a hunger for penis in her.  It would not have her have sex with a person who hires a known child killer.  Orphan Black has too much respect for Cosima.  The people who write Hell on Wheels could learn a lot from Orphan Black on how not to write such a backwards depiction of lesbianism. 

Edited by dohe
  • Love 1

I can see the writers sitting there saying, "Yeah, OK, so everybody is expecting Ezra to eventually rat out the Swede, I know, let's REALLY surprise them -- we'll kill Ezra! They'll never see that coming! Yeah, man!"

Just like, "Hey, I know what will be a real mindfuck is if we bring back Elam and then kill him again! Cool! Yeah! Yeah! Hu-huh!" 

in Beavis & Butthead voices. 

Yes, and if the Swede/Norwegian character still alive and kicking isn't enough now the Powers that Be want me to have to endure those two stupid curls on the front of the Swede's head?  I gotta look at that all day?  Just.no.

Its a very Mormon psychopath interpretation of a Crybaby look.  It might have been the secret reason why Brigham Young punched him, he just got tired of looking at those curls.  Either way, I wonder if the Swede isn't going to try to kill Brigham Young and assume his identity.  

I, too, am getting tired of all the suffering--Cullen can't get a break, well-liked characters getting killed, bad guys lingering on episodes well past their "sell by" dates.  It's no way I want to spend my Saturday nights. 

My line is drawn at Psalms.  I'm out if they kill him.  I'm happy to see him take over Elam's role, I prefer him to Elam.

Ailianna, it is shown at the end of the latest episode that she has gone back for sex again with the Governor.  She gets dressed again and tells him he won't like her article that much.  But she does go back for sex again.  As for the eye contact scene, it seemed more about it being noticed that she had messed with the Governor. 

I barely remembered Louise was a lesbian because I don't believe that they have showcased that this season.  So, its possible someone just  wanted to hook Campbell up with someone for some ultimate end, and they chose Louise?   Or is it possible?  If the writers wanted a storyline for Campbell that integrated a love interest, there just aren't that many women in town to choose from.  I guess Maggie (hotel lady) but I don't really see that, there is the new lady that Elam held captive, but she doesn't even know the town yet, it could be Eva, but I think a guy like that wouldn't really have Eva as a "love" interest,and she is still mourning Elam.  Maybe Ruth, but I think maybe they want us to think that Ruth and Cullen will get together.  And Ruth doesn't seem like the sort to get super involved in intrigues and plots.  So that sort of, by default, leaves Louise.  So maybe they were just hoping everyone would sort of forget about the lesbian thing, since she was really the only character left to pair with Campbell

• Love 3

Louise has been shown to be a reporter first.  My guess is it isn't about the sex at all but to get close to Campbell in order to  expose whatever he's up to that he shouldn't be and get him out of there.

Either way, I wonder if the Swede isn't going to try to kill Brigham Young and assume his identity.

Interesting, although he was also plotting to be back around Cullen.  I'm sad about Ezra but hopeful that the Swede can be set up and taken down  in some other very satisfying way.

Edited by shron17
  • Love 1

And now we have a month-long hiatus with just 3 episodes to go. There's a Walking Dead marathon next week, but that normally airs on Sunday, doesn't it? Anyone know why they're holding HoW?

A bit out of topic: as The Walking Dead is now on its 5th season, it is going to be a rather long marathon, as AMC will air all previous episodes of seasons 1 - 4. That is why the marathon will be run on two days. As of why Hell on Wheels is suspended, I do not know. The next weekend after this is going to be movie marathon of Tremors.

A bit out of topic: as The Walking Dead is now on its 5th season, it is going to be a rather long marathon, as AMC will air all previous episodes of seasons 1 - 4. That is why the marathon will be run on two days. As of why Hell on Wheels is suspended, I do not know. The next weekend after this is going to be movie marathon of Tremors.

After writing that question, I fuzzily recalled hearing/reading something about it being October, so it's basically horror month programming and the series can just wait. Not absolutely certain of that, but it's been a theme.

I find it curious that people are calling Sidney Snow a child killer. Did I miss something that indicated he trapped or forced Ezra into that hiding space? I may have, because I was distracted. if I didn't, the fact Ezra chose to go there in a fire isn't Snow's doing. They threw chairs through the windows. Anyone could have jumped out. Ezra died in a fire started by Snow, but Snow didn't directly kill him.

I don't know why Snow returned to town after that. What did he hope to accomplish? He could have shot Cullen at any time. It looked like they were headed for a fist fight of all things. Maybe Snow is just that stupid and immature.

I barely remembered Louise was a lesbian because I don't believe that they have showcased that this season.

If you would have asked me to described Louise, I wouldn't have thought of "lesbian." That's how far off my radar it was.

Louise has been shown to be a reporter first.  My guess is it isn't about the sex at all but to get close to Campbell in order to  expose whatever he's up to that he shouldn't be and get him out of there.

If that is what happened, and the writers had no plan in mind beyond that, then I said this last week but will say it again - Louise is *committed.* Lesbian or no, that is one hell of a ruse to be able to then write an article to ruin Campbell - who, despite his faults, is indeed there because of Grant - that may well get you killed. If Louise did this to support Cullen and/or his plan, then holy sh-t. I would not mess with her.

Not looking forward to seeing Ruth stand trial for shooting Snow. And seeing her guilt and angst over doing it and still being a Church Lady. Hope that plot point is resolved very quickly.

Edited by Ottis

Regardless if Louise is lesbian, bisexual, or straight confused, I thought she looked stunning in her ensemble (loved the dress so much) for her first tryst and then she took her hair down, she was just so beautiful. What man or woman wouldn't be attracted to her? Some of the women on this show are so stunning (Eva, Lily).  Ruth was prettier when she first came on the show. They had her wearing a lot less makeup and it made her look more her age I suppose. 

• Love 1

I find it curious that people are calling Sidney Snow a child killer. Did I miss something that indicated he trapped or forced Ezra into that hiding space? I may have, because I was distracted. if I didn't, the fact Ezra chose to go there in a fire isn't Snow's doing. They threw chairs through the windows. Anyone could have jumped out. Ezra died in a fire started by Snow, but Snow didn't directly kill him.

It is called felony murder. Besides, by barring the door, Snow did have the intention of having everybody in the church dead. Therefore, all deaths or injuries resulting from the fire can be attributed to him.

• Love 1

Regardless if Louise is lesbian, bisexual, or straight confused, I thought she looked stunning in her ensemble (loved the dress so much) for her first tryst and then she took her hair down, she was just so beautiful. What man or woman wouldn't be attracted to her?

Jennifer Ferrin has the most gorgeous hair. I watched her for years on As the World Turns and was always mesmerized by it. She is stunning, yes.

• Love 1

In a previous episode Sidney Snow shot a child in the general store, then he shot the owner who witnessed him shooting the child and was ready to shoot Naomi when Cullen showed up.

Edited by RealityGal
In a previous episode Sidney Snow shot a child in the general store, then he shot the owner who witnessed him shooting the child and was ready to shoot Naomi when Cullen showed up.

I remember that part. That was an accident, in the sense that Snow didn't know a child was there. Otherwise, it seems like "child killer" would have been a label that was more vocal before this episode, when Ezra dies. In this last episode, "child killer" seems to have come up both in the show and on the boards a lot.

What a heart breaking episode. Poor Ruth, will she ever recover? I cried. Cullen I think held it together for Ruth. Another good episode with some awesome acting.

I can't figure out what's up with Louise. She surely isn't enjoying herself with Campbell. So what is she doing? I sure hope it's not for a good story for her newspaper. That would be so stupid. I'm thinking maybe she knows him from the past and is setting him up. She asked Eva how she was able to kill that awful man so that led me to believe she wants Campbell dead for some reason we aren't in on yet. I don't expect a fully flushed out lesbian story because it wouldn't fit with the historical times. But it wouldn't work for me at all if she's presented as a lesbian and then, now she's bisexual. There would have to be some very compelling event that would change her from one to the other and that in my mind would very doubtful.

Actually, because of the four seasons, the TWD marathon starts tonight and will be every night this week starting at 7pm. 

By the time this show returns in three weeks, people will have forgotten what happened.  The Elam return was pointless, and I think it is pointless to kill Ezra. What is the deal with Mickey? Overall I am sad to say I have fast forwarded most of this season.

• Love 1