Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Return To Hell

I remember that part. That was an accident, in the sense that Snow didn't know a child was there.

So "oops" then?  He's still a child killer.  He heard a sound, and intended to shoot whoever was there.  It happened to be a child.  Sure, he had an "oh crap, that's the kid on the train" look on his face after he shot the kid, but he seemed to have gotten over this "accident" pretty quickly.  The main point is that he would have shot anyone who was there because he's a killer. 

Ezra died in a fire started by Snow, but Snow didn't directly kill him.

And I'm not even sure he died in the fire because the camera made a point of showing a knife next to the floorboard, and that's what Ruth and Cullen saw.  I think that when Snow and Ezra had their staredown, Snow had a feeling that Mickey was hiding under that floorboard.  So Snow could have figured that's where Ezra was hiding, and he stabbed him and left him there.

And I'm not even sure he died in the fire because the camera made a point of showing a knife next to the floorboard, and that's what Ruth and Cullen saw.  I think that when Snow and Ezra had their staredown, Snow had a feeling that Mickey was hiding under that floorboard.  So Snow could have figured that's where Ezra was hiding, and he stabbed him and left him there.

I thought that the knife being shown right next to the floor board was to show that Ezra was there and used the knife to pry up the floorboard. That was why Cullen stared at it, because he realized that meant Ezra was most likely under there.

• Love 2

I thought that the knife being shown right next to the floor board was to show that Ezra was there and used the knife to pry up the floorboard. That was why Cullen stared at it, because he realized that meant Ezra was most likely under there.

Actually, someone else told Cullen to come inside what was left of the church, that he'd found something in the back room under the floor. Cullen opened the trap door thing, and Ruth saw him staring. He tried to keep her from seeing Ezra, but she looked anyway.

Actually, someone else told Cullen to come inside what was left of the church, that he'd found something in the back room under the floor. Cullen opened the trap door thing, and Ruth saw him staring. He tried to keep her from seeing Ezra, but she looked anyway.

I know that. It was Mickey that told him where to look. But it appeared that the focus on the knife was to show that perhaps Ezra had used it to pry open the plank to the hidey spot. Either that or Cullen knew that the knife belonged to Ezra? I really don't think the focus on the knife was to show that Ezra had been knifed by Snow.

• Love 1

While I haven't been particularly happy with some of the events that have taken place this season, I will continue to watch. It is one of a very few shows I find truly compelling. I might talk at the tv during other shows, but HOW really makes me feel the characters and react to their situations. During this last episode, I yelled, not talked, at the tv when Cullen was approaching Sid. Yelling at Psalms to move away from Cullen, to get out of the line of fire. And when it was revealed that Ruth had shot Sid, I immediately started clapping. Loudly.  This show does that to me. Love or hate what happens to the characters, the show makes me care. (With the obvious exception of the Swede of course.  Please make him go away. PLEASE.)

• Love 5

Louise has to be up to something. She's sort of been on Bohannon's side since the start, and Campell has been causing him trouble. I feel like she's doing it all for an expose or something. Even if she's not, though, and she's just experimenting with different things, so what? I know lesbians who have done that. I also didn't believe her when she told Campbell she'd never had sex before.

I don't understand the point of Ezra at all if they always planned to kill him off before a confrontation with the Swede.

I have no problem with Eva smothering the rapist or Ruth shooting Sidney. It's the 1860s in the Wild West. It's not like there were cops and DAs who'd see Eva as a sympathetic rape victim. She's a prostitute. No one would have believed her anyway. The dude got what he deserved.

I continue to miss Lily with every episode of this show. :(

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 5

I don't see how Ruth's actions would be considered murder. Snow had just set fire to her church, killing her adopted son. Now he's holding a gun on Cullen. Shooting him was entirely justified.

And Snow's actions were clearly murderous, both before he was "deputized" and after. He IS a child killer (twice). He knew that Ruth and Ezra were in the church (along with a lot of other people), and he barred the doors and set it on fire, shooting at anyone trying to escape. The expected consequence of this is the death of everyone inside, including Ezra. The fact that nearly everyone else got out doesn't mitigate his crimes.

• Love 1

On a side note, I liked Swede Gunderson's appearance a lot more when he had his Mormon beard on.  Right now he looks like an extra from The Walking Dead.  Also got a chuckle out of Huntington's remark about his Norwegian name, and Gunderson's surprised reaction.

The Swede's new look (complete with his weird, waxy complexion) reminds me of Lurch from the Addams Family.  The Swede could be Lurch's brother.

• Love 2

Ezra is not apart of The Swede's story arc. He was there for Ruth's

Which is what...that she's ready to be a mom? It just seems wasteful to me. The Swede is one of the most compelling (and infuriating) characters on the show. Ezra's entire introduction and character seemed to be building toward a confrontation, and then they just let all the air out of that balloon. Now there's no suspense; who cares if the Swede comes back to Cheyenne? He'll confront Bohannon? Big whoop. That happens all the time. He'll go on a murderous rampage? Booooring. He'll spout some Mormon sermons? Been there, done that. Ezra was the only one who could expose him and change the course of his storyline. Now we're just back to where we ended season two with the Swede.

• Love 4

Louise has to be up to something. She's sort of been on Bohannon's side since the start, and Campell has been causing him trouble. I feel like she's doing it all for an expose or something. Even if she's not, though, and she's just experimenting with different things, so what? I know lesbians who have done that. I also didn't believe her when she told Campbell she'd never had sex before.

I don't understand the point of Ezra at all if they always planned to kill him off before a confrontation with the Swede.

I have no problem with Eva smothering the rapist or Ruth shooting Sidney. It's the 1860s in the Wild West. It's not like there were cops and DAs who'd see Eva as a sympathetic rape victim. She's a prostitute. No one would have believed her anyway. The dude got what he deserved.

I continue to miss Lily with every episode of this show. :(

Of course there are some lesbians who sleep with men in real life.  Problem is, according to tv and film, almost all lesbians make out or have sex with men.     It is a trope that has been done at a ridiculous level and even then not as offensive as this was. 

Edited by dohe
So "oops" then?  He's still a child killer.  He heard a sound, and intended to shoot whoever was there.  It happened to be a child.  Sure, he had an "oh crap, that's the kid on the train" look on his face after he shot the kid, but he seemed to have gotten over this "accident" pretty quickly.  The main point is that he would have shot anyone who was there because he's a killer.

But he wasn't considered a "child killer" before Ezra, because he didn't know it was a child and that seemed clear to everyone (including viewers). Which was my original point.

think that when Snow and Ezra had their staredown, Snow had a feeling that Mickey was hiding under that floorboard.  So Snow could have figured that's where Ezra was hiding, and he stabbed him and left him there.

That's a lot of supposition. My read was that we saw Ezra had a knife in an earlier episode, and later wanted to learn how to use a gun (and Cullen was going to teach him). So when we see the knife outside the hiding place, that's foreshadowing that Ezra is in there. And the fact the show doesn't try to give us a shot of any of his body (not even a shoe or something less disturbing) when the space is opened and everyone reacts confirmed that sequence.

• Love 2

The idea of killing off Ezra I think was to place Cullen in position where he would feel responsible for the boys death because of his hesitancy to deal with Snow. Taking away what mattered most to Ruth and dealing with Snow the way she did takes Ruth where Cullen has already been when he lost his first family. Ruth and Cullen have changed places it would seem.

• Love 2