Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Sleeping Baby, Hammer & Nails, Amber, Bombas

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

A unique way to swaddle a baby; a nail salon for men; an improved athletic sock; a charging station for cell phones.

Two hour season premiere - I assume there will be more presented than just the ones listed.

It might be easier for the premiere, but will be an ongoing problem after reruns where it will certainly be broken up.  Plus ABC lists it separately and next week's will be listed as 603.

On the other hand, Previously admin agrees that together is easier.  So that's fine, I don't care.  

Products for the second half will include:

mobile wedding service, engineering toys, porcelain coffee mug, golf putter.  And a follow up on sugar scrubs.

$35 for a swaddle?! Good thing they didn't go into retail. I mean...it's a swaddle. Hey, lady -- babies wake up because of startle reflex, but also because they hit themselves in the face. That's why the retail swaddles have velcro. I swear, they got a deal on their sob story alone.

(Also "I'm so happy my other baby died so I could have this baby" could've used a little more sensitive phrasing. Really did not like them).

• Love 3

Apparently they partner with a charity called "Hannah's Socks", a nonprofit in Ohio/Michigan.  And I get it.  There's nothing unique about their socks, and someone paying $9 a pair just needs a reason to pick one brand over another.  Social conscience is good marketing for that kind of product.

As a non-parent, swaddles seem like a strange concept.  I would not sleep well with my arms strapped down, I know that.  I understand the logic as explained, but given my bias an elastic just seems more palatable than velcro straps.  So they could probably make good money selling to ignorant people like me.  (But it does seem really pricy.) 

Speaking of my own bias, I'm never getting manicure. No judgment on anyone of either gender who does, but to me it feels self-indulgent in a way that conflicts with how I feel I should behave as a man. Maybe that's a bias people are growing out of. But I just could not get that product.  (Talented guy, though.)

And nice job, phone charger guys. If there was any investor who could see through the over-engineering, the ridiculous price, and your utter lack of experience, they bailed at your "punch Herjavec in the teeth" comment.  Way to blow your national TV shot.

• Love 1

Hey, lady -- babies wake up because of startle reflex, but also because they hit themselves in the face.

I don't know anything about babies except what I've learned academically, but I was taught the Moro reflex disappears after about four months, and it may be twice that long before babies start sleeping through the night.  I'm not discounting her experience, just the fact that she said it scientific proof that twigged the back of my mind.

Apparently they partner with a charity called "Hannah's Socks", a nonprofit in Ohio/Michigan.  And I get it.

I always like the social giving aspect of products, but I guess I'd be kinder toward the Bombas guys if they were giving a monetary donation toward that with each purchase instead of the socks themselves.  Because I know that there are unfortunately plenty of people in the world who need clothing that they can't afford, but are a free pair of socks that retail for $9 really the answer there?

That said, I did really like the design of the socks, but I just can't justify paying $9 plus shipping when I can get a 10-pack of socks for less than that at Target.  Where, I've hear, I can also buy some Shark Tank products.

• Love 1
I was taught the Moro reflex disappears after about four months, and it may be twice that long before babies start sleeping through the night.

Yeah, something didn't ring true about her daughter "suddenly" sleeping 12 hours in this product.

I believe that babies' arms are constricted when they grow large enough in the womb (just prior to birth), so it would seem like that's how they're most used to sleeping. Hence, the swaddle to constrain their arms, so it's just like sleeping in the womb. All she did was make a blanket sleeper (a zip-up fleece sack with long sleeves) that had mittens. Her competitive set isn't just swaddle blankets and velcro swaddles, but the blanket sleepers -- again, which retail for about $20. I don't know if Lori has kids, but these people are lucky it was mostly men on the panel, who couldn't have called them out on their lack of knowledge about baby products.

• Love 1

I actually felt a little bad for those phone charger guys, just because they were really young and obviously had put a lot of time into it.  Only to get laughed at by the sharks.  It was a stupid product, but they could have been nicer about it.

The punch comment was unnecessary though.

Only to get laughed at by the sharks.  It was a stupid product, but they could have been nicer about it.

I think the sharks were laughing because the guys were kind of arrogant.  Sometimes there are these "fresh out of business school" types that come in thinking they've re-invented the wheel, and the sharks smack them down.

• Love 1

Apparently they partner with a charity called "Hannah's Socks", a nonprofit in Ohio/Michigan.  And I get it.  There's nothing unique about their socks, and someone paying $9 a pair just needs a reason to pick one brand over another.  Social conscience is good marketing for that kind of product.

I live in Toledo, the city where Hannah's Socks originated maybe 4 or 5 years ago by a then 8 year old girl (named Hannah, of course). It got a huge amount of attention here locally and even nationally.

Anyway, the concept was nice, and I have to say I liked the design as well as the charity tie in. However, $9- nope. Not for one pair.

I think a lot of businesses in that space of the buy one give one are hoping to be the next Toms.

As for the rest of the episode, I did like the swaddlers, but it is just as easy to use a receiving blanket bundled up for the same effect. It has always worked for me.

(Also "I'm so happy my other baby died so I could have this baby" could've used a little more sensitive phrasing. Really did not like them).

God, yes. That really rubbed me the wrong way. Geez.

And for some reason, I am very skeptical about how much they claim to have invested of their own money.

Agree with the poster who thinks two hours of Shark Tank on one night is too much.

• Love 1

I was hoping Damon would partner up with the Hammer & Nails guy. It's a great concept. I know plenty of guys who would cringe at the thought of going into a salon dominated by women to get their nails done. And I laughed at him when he was talking about his feet, having been married to a man with the ugliest toenails in the world.

I think he'll take this and be a success, having the exposure the show gave him. He's already proven he can be successful in different enterprises. A man like that has my interest and I'll be watching to see if this salon for men takes off. I think it will.

• Love 2

I was hoping Daymond would partner with him, too.  I thought Hammer & Nails was a great concept and would be very successful.  In the nail salon I frequent, there are several men who come in to have manis and pedis done and they always look uncomfortable and kind of walk in with their heads down and try not to make too much eye contact.  There's lots of "aw" from the women and those who aren't squeeing over them are usually looking at them suspiciously.  I have to think there are quite a few men who would rather have a more male-dominated environment.

The bar and shoe shine or even the mani/pedi with a bar would not work in all states. I'm in Kansas and that would be ag ainst all kind of laws. Granted KS is weird but I think a few states may have hinky laws similar to ours. But the dude could try some permutation of what he proposed and what the sharks proposed.

God, yes. That really rubbed me the wrong way. Geez.

I'm pretty sure she was referring to the outpouring of support she got from her online community, like without her business she wouldn't have had the support she needed after the miscarriage, and without the support she couldn't have found the strength to move on and have another child.

• Love 2

but the blanket sleepers -- again, which retail for about $20. I don't know if Lori has kids, but these people are lucky it was mostly men on the panel, who couldn't have called them out on their lack of knowledge about baby products.

Kevin is usually all about jumping on people that don't have something that is unique and patentable. I am surprised he didn't jump all over the fact that he could start his own company and make the exact same thing for less than the valuation they were asking for.

Also I really wonder if those people named their kid Maverick after the basketball team, after Tom Cruise's character from Top Gun or because they loved John McCain. Either way Maverick Parker seems like an unfortunate name.

• Love 3

I have a five month old who needed a swaddle until 4.5 months, so I think I can shed some light on the Zipadee-zip (a product I almost bought on at least three occasions based on the raves of other moms). <br /><br />So it's not really competing with your blanket swaddles - blanket swaddles are small, easy to get out of, and are not recommended for use once a baby starts rolling over. Most babies can't use a blanket swaddle after three months or so. I would say their competitors are the Woombie ($26), and Magic Merlin's Sleepsuit ($40) which are swaddle alternatives that also stifle the Moro reflex but the baby cannot break their way out of it. So their pricing is kind of right in the middle, and believe me, as a desperate parent I would've easily paid twice that for a good nights sleep. This product is probably not an every baby product, it's for the really poor sleepers out there.

• Love 3

I guess I had it kind of easy as a parent b/c my daughter slept through the night pretty quickly.  When we went to a 3 mos check up I asked the doctor when babies typically stop waking up every 4 hours & sleep 8-10 hour stretches.  She told me when a baby hits about 12-14 pounds, they have enough fat on them and their stomachs can hold more so they are more satisfied and can sleep for longer periods.  Sure enough, as soon as she hit 13lbs at around 5mos, my daughter slept from 7pm to 7am. 

Did not like the phone charger guys or their product.  Over engineered for sure.  There is no way a little sliding door would work every time somebody swiped their finger once.  Anyone with a smartphone or iPad will tell you the swiping thing takes multiple efforts many times. As for fingerprint recognition, I don't believe that high tech technology would work in that low-end gadget for a minute either.  Besides, there are too many competitors offering FREE charging all over the place now.

On a shallow note, Robert needs a haircut.  Don't like the flowing locks look he's sporting!

@BusyOctober

Did not like the phone charger guys or their product.  Over engineered for sure.  There is no way a little sliding door would work every time somebody swiped their finger once.  Anyone with a smartphone or iPad will tell you the swiping thing takes multiple efforts many times. 

Yes, the door concept was very suspicious. I couldn't tell if it was one door for the entire unit or of each charger/phone had an individual door. If it was one, what would stop someone from taking someone else's phone? I've only been watching Shark Tank for a few years but I think this is the worst pitch I have ever seen. 

@Amarsir

And nice job, phone charger guys. If there was any investor who could see through the over-engineering, the ridiculous price, and your utter lack of experience, they bailed at your "punch Herjavec in the teeth" comment.  Way to blow your national TV shot.

That's what he said?! I couldn't make it out even after replaying a couple of times. Very unprofessional. 

• Love 1

Also I really wonder if those people named their kid Maverick after the basketball team, after Tom Cruise's character from Top Gun or because they loved John McCain. Either way Maverick Parker seems like an unfortunate name.

Or the Mel Gibson movie.  (But probably not the TV show it's based on. Before their time.)

Kevin is usually all about jumping on people that don't have something that is unique and patentable. I am surprised he didn't jump all over the fact that he could start his own company and make the exact same thing for less than the valuation they were asking for.

Probably because they have a proven customer base.  Kevin could make his own, but he probably couldn't social network all those Moms in at the same cost. Being copied is a big threat when you're breaking in, but acceptable when established.

Probably because they have a proven customer base.  Kevin could make his own, but he probably couldn't social network all those Moms in at the same cost. Being copied is a big threat when you're breaking in, but acceptable when established.

Your totally right  his line about copying usually doesn't apply when companies actually show they have sales.

I just watched the sock pitch and when Robert was asking them how they planned on taking their company to the next level, instead of talking about hiring a customer acquisition person I really wanted them to say "our plan is to go on Shark Tank and get our product exposed to millions of people, and then just watch as sales take off".

• Love 1

This show has a new opening theme.  Robert shows off multiple luxury cars and a jet in his segment.  Mark is now called "renowned" and no longer "notorious."  Now that I've seen it once, I can skip the theme for the rest of the season. Plus, I save even more time by skipping the opening show overview/teasers right before the theme. 

Edited by Beach Party

This show has a new opening theme.  Robert shows off multiple luxury cars and a jet in his segment.  Mark is now called "renowned" and no longer "notorious."  Now that I've seen it once, I can skip the theme for the rest of the season. Plus, I save even more time by skipping the opening show overview/teasers right before the theme. 

I don't mind watching the teasers or theme, but I'd love it if they could stop putting ads for the show inside the show itself.  "Shark Tank helps make the American Dream a reality."  Yes, I know thank you.  That's why I'm watching.  You can stop telling me how great you are and go about the actual show.

• Love 2

The thrust of Kevin O'Leary's bio has changed as well -- he's no longer "turned a $10,000 loan into a software business worth $2.2 million," now he's "sold a children's education company for $4 million" (or something?) Must've been a recent transaction.

The credits now look less like "Shark Tank" and more like "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous." We get it, they're rich -- they have money to invest. I don't need it spelled out in sports cars and yachts.

• Love 2

The thrust of Kevin O'Leary's bio has changed as well -- he's no longer "turned a $10,000 loan into a software business worth $2.2 million," now he's "sold a children's education company for $4 million" (or something?) Must've been a recent transaction.

It's not.  He had an educational software business that he sold to Mattel for several billion dollars, but that was back in the 90s.  It was also not a very good investment on the part of Mattel, but that's a whole other discussion.

• Love 1

Yeah, something didn't ring true about her daughter "suddenly" sleeping 12 hours in this product.

Lol. Waking up every 15 minutes to suddenly sleeping 12 hours. Yeah, not buying it. I also don't believe they slept 12 hours if they were used to waking up every 15 minutes. A baby having that drastic of a change in sleeping would scare the crap out of them.

I can believe the daughter just didn't like being swaddled, so she slept better in what is a sleeper blanket. It seems we're all told that babies need to be swaddled, but my son didn't like it.

I just got an email that Bombas socks is offering customers a free pair of socks to make up for website problems with the Shark Tank promo code.  You just pay shipping (of course).

And even if you choose not to get the socks, they are donating a pair for all the people who couldn't use the promo code.

• Love 1

The bar and shoe shine or even the mani/pedi with a bar would not work in all states. I'm in Kansas and that would be ag ainst all kind of laws. Granted KS is weird but I think a few states may have hinky laws similar to ours. But the dude could try some permutation of what he proposed and what the sharks proposed.

I'm sure it's not legal in parts of KY either with their dry counties.  I don't think each business has to work in every town in America.  As described, I see it working only in certain metro areas.  On second watch of this episode, I thought it could be a good airport play at the major hubs.  Big screen TVs, booze, mani/pedis, hot shave, shoe shine and a quick steam of a garment...  better than one of those airline clubs.

Did not like the phone charger guys or their product.  Over engineered for sure.  There is no way a little sliding door would work every time somebody swiped their finger once.  Anyone with a smartphone or iPad will tell you the swiping thing takes multiple efforts many times. As for fingerprint recognition, I don't believe that high tech technology would work in that low-end gadget for a minute either.  Besides, there are too many competitors offering FREE charging all over the place now.

The finger swipe has to go.  We have one at work and it's flaky, forget about it if your finger is cold, hot or damp.   But they could do a credit card swipe to place your phone in and a swipe to take it out.  That's an easy way of making sure it goes back to the right person and they could charge a couple of bucks for the service.

• Love 1

So, a few weeks ago, I saw one of the guys from the phone charger service business.  I had met him before he appeared on Shark Tank but this was only my second time meeting him.  He is really cool and had no problem talking about his time on the show.  Also, business seems to be moving along.  

He mentioned that they were not ready when they appeared and had been contacted by a casting person who had mutual associates with them.  Since it's been a few weeks, I don't remember everything but they are getting some work with local businesses.

• Love 1

As an aside, I wish we had one thread for the season, instead of individual ones.  I wanted to comment on a product and had hell of a time finding the right week.

Anyway, bought the Bomba socks.  I haven't washed them yet, so don't know how they'll hold up after washing, but so far, I really like them.  They come in a size SMALL, which I need and am not always able to find, they do stay up, which the cheap ones I get at Target never do, and I was worried about the soles, since they seemed a bit thick ,and I hate those socks with the extra cushioning, since they never feel comfortable to me, but once on, I'm not able to tell that there's a bit of extra cushioning.  So far, so good.  Kind of expensive, yes, but if they last, and do stay up, I'll be a customer.

• Love 1

Maybe we should have a thread that's dedicated to the products as a catch-all beyond the initial appearances on the show?

Let us know how they do.  I liked them, but considering my socks are among my cat's favorite toys, I don't know if I feel like investing in them just to have them end being dragged from one end of my apartment to the other.

• Love 2

Update on the Bomba socks (and then I will start posting in the product thread).  They have been washed, came out of the dryer looking good and are still staying up like nobody's business.  That might not be important to everyone but it makes a difference for me, since I'm tired of my socks ending up around my ankles.  Now, I wish they would make some knee socks.  I will be buying a few more pairs.