Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Quetzalcoatl

Aw Linder. That's why you don't bring a rock to a gunfight. I knew as soon as Eva started talking about the future, things were going to end badly.

Of the many things that can be said of Fausto Galvan, one thing is certain: It does not say "Yesterday" on his birth certificate.

• Love 3

I am mostly bored now, but I am sticking around to the end of this season.

Ah, poor Linder. Why didn't he just buy a gun? All because that stupid man told him that the rock had power. Eva's heart will be broken. I hope that they find his body so she knows what happened to him.

I cannot stand Robles. He better die next week.

Edited by SimoneS

So Robles thinks he's going to be the new kingpin, eh?  I personally doubt it.  The guy is a sideliner who couldn't organize a two car parade, and I doubt that he can command respect from either the CIA or the Clio group. 

Sonya for the goal:  "You mean the CIA is helping a drug cartel?  But that's wrong!"

Monte/Lyle sure got a come-to-Jesus moment there in the boot store.  Eleanor is not your friend.  Of course, he got his own you-don't-want-to-do-this moment  on as well.

So long, Linder.  So long, Eva.  So long, 1970's imported pickup truck camper.

Dammit, Linder!  You had one job!  But they really telegraphed his fate in this one; so many anvils.  Assuming he's dead and gone (because, why would Robles let him live?), I wonder if this is it for Eva too, and she'll be disappear off-screen like Ray did, when Charlotte died.  Either way, maybe it was the wrong call to shave The Beard.

So, it looks like Marco is getting ready to go on the worst camping trip ever.  Not sure it's going to be fun hiking up the mountains with Fausto, his bodyguard, and Sebastian's detoxing daughter.  That Fausto though.  He continues to refuse to accept death.  Even if he dies next week, I have to respect the guy for how long he's pulled this off.

Eleanor is out and about, destroying evidence and threatening Monty/Lyle Lovett.  Meanwhile, Buckley is breaking into Sonya's house and... killing her fish?  Oh, Buckley, you asshole!

Hank not only is able to check himself out of the hospital and walk around, but smack around Daniel with ease.  OK, I can actually by the latter, because, well, it's Daniel.  The brief Sonya/Hank/Daniel/Adrianna team was fun though.

So, it sounds like Adam Arkin's DEA guy is either involved in the conspiracy, or is really that clueless.  Hank seemed to think it was the former, and I suspect that's more likely.

Finale next week!  I wonder who will die in that one!

• Love 2

Dammit Linder, how the hell can you go after an armed crooked cop with a fucking rock?!  I'll miss our mumbling sensitive vigilante. I knew that he and Eva were too happy for this show, so of course he had to die. Poor Eva. Linder should have listened to her when she said they should stop chasing Robles and start building a life together. 

I laughed at Hank's line about "getting shot always makes me soft for a few days". Just how many times has he been shot?

Have Fausto's teeth always been that yellow? 'Cuz damn, it really stood out in this episode.

1 episode left and I still don't know who's got what on whom. And will we ever find out what became of that thieving masked bicycle kid who escaped the house shootout? I really hope we get a 3rd season.

Edited by bunnyblue

Have Fausto's teeth always been that yellow? 'Cuz damn, it really stood out in this episode.

I'll take that over the usual bright white teeth we see on every other show, including in the mouths of characters who would never have regularly seen a dentist much less had whitening.

Poor Linder.  Does this mean Eva=Delilah?  

Hank is a badass with a ridiculously high pain threshold.  Adrenaline can only do so much.  

I've enjoyed this show and I really didn't expect to when it started last year.  I lived in Texas for many years and never felt the need to know more about El Paso/Juarez -- but this show has been fascinating.

• Love 1

I think Fausto's teeth were always dingy. His outward appearance has always matched his low means of obtaining his wealth, in contrast to Sebastian who has the look of respectability but not the actions of it.

Marco would be in a bad enough situation if it were just him, but with trying to keep Romina alive, he's in a really tough spot. I wonder if she will die, mirroring Marco being unable to save Gus last season. Another "sins of the father" payback.

Linder has to be a goner; from what Eva said, she wasn't a true Delilah - there was no betrayal. She didn't want him to go. She wanted him to leave the vengeance behind and he didn't.

I did enjoy the scene with Adriana, Daniel, Hank, and Sonya.

Next week everyone looks like they're in mortal danger. Maybe Monty will come along and save everyone and then ride off into the sunset.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 1

Eleanor wants what Sebastian has promised her, I'm thinking that is her father that was presumably removed from his basement cell when the Mexican Marines invaded Fausto's place.

I know Eleanor is efficient and all, but how could she and Cesar have cleaned out ALL the places listed in that ledger before Hank and Sonya got to them? We're talking a matter of a few days and Eleanor is the walking wounded herself.

Aw Linder, no way are you surviving this though I did enjoy seeing Jonno again. What role is next for you I wonder?

Things have been taking an awful long time these last few episodes. A 10-part series might have been better paced.

I was reflecting on how much the show changed this season. Last year we had these bizarre murders, a big mystery about who was behind them and why. Then it turned out to be all about Marco and thus about Marco and Sonya. This year there's much less mystery; perhaps that's why the confusing timeline. Since the plot is really about how the CIA manipulates a Mexican drug cartel, the focus has been much more on Fausto, Eleanor and Sebastian. I don't mind because the characterizations of these folks have been terrific. But the show has been at pains to find things for Sonya and Marco to do. Sonya especially seems almost an afterthought or else caught in stupid storylines like the romance with Cobb's brother and the kidnapping by the slowest moving assassin ever.

• Love 1

The Chopper didn't live up to his moniker at. all. I'm disappointed (though glad Sonia got away, of course).

Maybe it was a typo in the scripts. Perhaps he was actually "the Shopper", known for his bargain-hunting skills when buying shovels.

• Love 4

lulee:  hee hee, The Shopper

Oh, Linder, my heart aches for you and Eva.  Why didn't you listen to her?  But I have to believe that if Hank could survive all that crawling and putting ledgers in metal boxes and bleeding and getting finger-probed in gaping wounds, and then doing a classic yanking out of IV lines and fetching his own clothes and putting them on - I have to believe that maybe you can manage to survive somehow, too.  Sure, it's improbable because that vermin Robles is standing right there and ought to shoot you in the head if he has any common sense at all, but this is TV.  He can forget to shoot you again and you can crawl away, and you don't have to haul a ledger with you either, so that gives you an advantage.  Please, Linder, you have to get back with Eva.

It would be one thing for Sonya to be angry about "our own government" doing highly immoral things, but for her to be incredulous about it is a bit much.

I don't understand how simply sending the decoy car down the road enabled Fausto and company to get clean away from the Marines.  Can someone explain this to me?

• Love 1

Weird, Ankai, I was thinking the same thing. Of course the minority population of El Paso is far more Hispanic than African American but you'd think they'd have some black characters. Have there ever been any on The Bridge?

Other than the one in this episode, I really cannot remember any.

Actually, has there been that many Hispanic-American characters? There is the receptionist at the station and maybe two other minor characters. I guess that Cesar and his family might count? The rest seem to be Mexican. Adrianna is played by an American, but she herself does not count.

Edited by Ankai

El Paso's 2010 census info:

According to the 2010 US Census, the racial composition of El Paso was:[53]

Whites – 80.8% (14.2% non-Hispanic white)

Black or African American – 3.4%

Native American – 0.7%

Asian – 1.2%

Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander – 0.1%

Two or more races – 3.3%

Ethnically, the city was:

Hispanic or Latino (of any race) – 80.7%

Monty -- You stood up to Eleanor.  Man, that gets my respect.  I would have been shaking in my boots.

Hank -- You're one tough dude.  Not only did you survive a gunshot wound that would kill a normal person, but then you hop out of a hospital bed, go chasing bad guys with Sonia, beat up Daniel, go back to the office, have a confrontation with the Adam Arkin guy, and go on a stake-out that evening.  And I get tired  just mowing the lawn. It's a big lawn, but, still . . . 

CIA guy -- not only do you go around killing innocent fish, but you actually like rhubarb pie.  You're a freak.

Linder -- Aw, damn.  What can I say?  Hope you're as tough as Hank.  (By the way, is there an extra shadow in that scene?  Like someone watching from off to the side?  Or am I seeing things?)

I liked LInder's desire to protect abused women, but he grew too careless and foolish with his agenda.  I hope he's gone.  He would only put Eva in danger with the way he was acting.  The ominous message he left for Robles.  Basically, it was a suicide mission.  

I really wish they would replace Sonja's character.  Take her out and put a really good actress who plays an interesting character.  IMO, Sonja adds nothing to the show.  

Why doesn't the Lyle Lovett character just take Eleanor out?  What's in it for her to stay alive?  

Wasn't there only one vehicle shown leaving Fausto's compound?

I agree with Fausto on one thing.  Sebastiion may be more tormented if he is left to care for his daughter. 

...I did enjoy the scene with Adriana, Daniel, Hank, and Sonya...

Even though I would love a show made up of the exploits of this odd quadruple, here the team-up rang false to me. I was glad they split up before it became eye rolly.

Of course the minority population of El Paso is far more Hispanic than African American but you'd think they'd have some black characters. Have there ever been any on The Bridge?

Other than the one in this episode, I really cannot remember any...
What black character?

I liked LInder's desire to protect abused women, but he grew too careless and foolish with his agenda.  I hope he's gone.

--unless he just gets one final scene, recovering in a hospital, U.S. Marshall Mary Shannon standing by as he tells Eva she was right, "We can paint our new home pink."

Why doesn't the Lyle Lovett character just take Eleanor out?

Day's not over.

Loved that scene with Eleanor and Lyle.  Such tension and he fascinates me.  I'd love to see a spin off starring his character.  

Poor Linder.  I'm afraid he's a goner, but perhaps he's related to Hank and has some super human healing power too.

• Love 1

Shot in the gut in TV = may or may not make it, but surely looks grim, he's in the middle of abandon-town I don't think he'll get prompt help, a bit surprised that Robles didn't finish him up.

Shot in the gut in TV = may or may not make it, but surely looks grim, he's in the middle of abandon-town I don't think he'll get prompt help, a bit surprised that Robles didn't finish him up.

I can't recall, but if Robles did previously cross paths with Linder when he still had the beard, then Eva may have saved his life by shaving him--making him unrecognizable. Since he was armed only with a stone, Robles may figure he's just a wannabe mugger, not worthy of another bullet.

Oh, Linder, my heart aches for you and Eva  - I have to believe that maybe   you  can manage to survive somehow, too

Fausto made a big deal about his head henchman,wearing a too small bullet-proof vest when he had one big enough He stated he "lost" it. Hopefully Linder found it.

• Love 1

Fausto made a big deal about his head henchman,wearing a too small bullet-proof vest when he had one big enough He stated he "lost" it. Hopefully Linder found it.

sadly, im pretty sure we saw blood seeping onto Linder's shirt.

Who was in the driver's seat in the decoy car?  Was it the guy who was already dead?

Not likely, since he was really driving, right? I wondered about that too. My guess is some poor schlub who believes that Fausto still has the resources and the will to be able to provide for the dead guy's family better than the dead guy could if he was alive.

Whites – 80.8% (14.2% non-Hispanic white)

Well, perhaps I was wrong and most of the White people on this show are Hispanic White.

What black character?

The guy who inspected the seal. He was Black, wasn't he?

But Chekhov's bullet proof vest is still out there. Maybe Marco's got it?

He didn't when we saw him at the end. Given how big the henchman is, I can't imagine Marco hiding it somewhere on his person. Sebastian's daughter didn't have it, either. I think the Chekov's gun aspect will be that the henchman is doomed because he lost it—he also ripped off the too-small vest he was wearing as soon as they got out of the truck.

What black character?

The guy who inspected the seal. He was Black, wasn't he?

Yes, he was.

Linden wanting revenge was destined to end badly, I think.

ETA: Argh with the double-quote formatting.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

I'm probably way overestimating my high-school Spanish skills, but do they play a bit fast and loose with the subtitles? 

Maybe that's common--I don't watch any other subtitled shows where I have a vague (very vague) grasp on some of the language.

I wasn't thrilled with this episode. I liked some of the momentary team-ups, and liked some of Sonya and Hank's moments together (I love their relationship), but it felt a bit disjointed to me.

I was especially sad for poor Linder. It just felt like a waste, and I'm not entirely sure I buy that the character would be quite that tone-deaf and dumb if he were going to go after the chief. He was far smarter at circumventing the authorities last season, for instance. But the actor's amazing, and I loved his conversation about the pink house. Sniffle. I do think it was interesting and poignant that he could not let go of revenge while the girl he loved (and who had actually been the one gang-raped) was able to say, "We need to get away from all of this. It's the best thing to do." And she was right. Living is the best revenge.

I liked the Monty/Eleanor standoff except that there was no tension there for me at all -- they were basically in public, she was being stupid and misguided to threaten him, and I liked that he just coolly flipped his holster and showed that, "hey, if you want violence I'll be happy to, ma'am." But it was so odd to me since I didn't see Eleanor's reason to want vengeance here (I mean, he directly saved her life one episode ago) and I thought Monty was one of her inner circle folks.

I love Hank so was glad to see him up and around, and thought it was kind of amusing that he was so Texan and Terminator about it -- "Gosh damn it, I'm fine! Argh! Just give me another swig of bourbon and a little more trail dust and these bullet holes are history!"

I'm interested to see where all of this goes for the finale. I haven't been sold on this season as a whole, but I still feel great affection for the characters, and many are truly unique to my TV viewing experience, and I really like that.

I agree with some of the comments here about this episode (and most of the season) being disjointed. And Hank as Robocop combined with Sonya's naivety required a huge suspension of disbelief.

I wasn't sad to see Linder go, because the subplot wasn't adding anything to the main story anymore, but it was a very anticlimactic ending after two seasons.

Sidebar: Does anyone happen to know why Sonya wears such unflattering pants? Adriana too, this episode.