Type keyword(s) to search

Why You Never Take 19 Kids to a Bridal Store: The Duggars' Kleinfeld Experience

I'm truly surprised that they didn't do a crossover episode with "Say Yes to the Dress" (unless there's some spin-off in DC of which I'm unaware).  Seems like a missed opportunity for another free trip to NYC where they can moan about how all the Kleinfeld dresses are too "immodest" for them and require extensive alterations.

Also, I love how the female Duggars can drop everything and go for an extended trip to buy a wedding dress, because it's not like they have jobs or anything else that demands a schedule.  Not that I'd want their life, but sometimes it's truly rage-inducing how spoiled they are. 

• Love 7

Weren't the Duggars on Say Yes to the Dress? I think it was for the vow renewal? I seem to remember hearing something about it and afterwards Kleinfields said they would never have them on the show again. Does anyone else remember or am I remembering it wrong?

• Love 2

Yes the whole dang family was there. The howler monkies were climbing everywhere, being loud. Just like at home. JimBob telling the owners he wanted MEchelle in a dress with big puffy sleeves

"80's style. The girl flat out told him no. MEchelle wouldn't even let anyone in the dressing room while she changed clothes. Can't defraud anyone. "Insert eye roll".

• Love 1

Lol, Michelle wouldn't let a female Kleinfeld's employee into the dressing room with her? Is it that serious? The other day I let a Victoria's Secret employee measure me for a bra. Considering boobs are her business, I didn't feel I was defrauding her by showing her mine:)

• Love 3

I believe the Duggar episode of Say Yes to the Dress is on Netflix streaming, if it's okay to mention this. My favorite part of the whole thing was the thinly veiled disgust of one of Kleinfeld's employees sitting in a chair outside of the dressing room while J-Chelle tried on the dress. She mentioned she had been working there for whatever number of years and had never encountered a bride who would not allow her into the dressing room while changing before.

• Love 1

I, too, thought maybe TLC would do a crossover again with Kleinfeld. I agree that that store probably has banned them from their "experience". My guess is, YES, they brought the whole herd of them to the store, which was totally inappropriate, including a pregnant Anna and Josh. It was obviously filmed during normal store hours as other brides were there too. I thought the other brides, who paid for their appointment, complained about the distractions from this mob of a family and didn't accomplish most of what those girls were there for. I think Kleinfeld had to "comp" these brides a return...also, why would Michelle be so "modest" to not let that nice lady in the dressing room with her? She is a professional bridal consultant, handling bridal gown samples worth thousands of dollars and they don't want them to get damaged from inexperienced clients handling them...Michelle was filmed giving birth, how modest is that?

I'm glad they "derailed" Jill to nearby DC. Still, IMO, no reason they couldn't stay local and make it a day trip....so unusual, this family.

• Love 2

Since there is such a large gap of time between when the wedding happened and when this episode is airing, I'm not that interested in seeing the dress shopping. We already know what dress Jill wore and that it was ever so modest.

I actually thought it was the lame the employees seemed so peeved that Michelle didn't want their assistance in the dressing room.

Part of helping with the dress is making sure it isn't damaged.

• Love 5

I actually thought it was the lame the employees seemed so peeved that Michelle didn't want their assistance in the dressing room.

The consultants are there to help you lace up the dress properly not only to see how you look in it, but to ensure the sample doesn't get torn up. Plus, I'm not sure what her modesty issue was with someone helping her. During my wedding dress fitting I had on a long slip and bustier that kept me completely covered while they helped me put on dress after dress. Also, who cares about your shoulders showing? I am a very conservative dresser and never wear strapless/sleeveless, but while I was trying on strapless samples I wore the sample as is and the consultant explained how sleeves could be incorporated into each dress using sample fabric so I could see how it would really look if I bought the dress. 

Regarding MEcheele not letting the bridal consultant in with her- I thought I remembered MEchele explaining/giggling that being modest, she wasn't allowing her skin to be seen by the consultant at the beginning of the change but she would allow her in after she got dress on to be zipped/buttoned up. OMG her thinking. Like another poster said these are expensive dresses that have to be handled correctly & put on a certain way,needing the consultants help. I also remembered one of the little girls touching/wiping her hands down MEchelles dress & I was hoping that for once her hands were clean. I wonder who will help Jill change at the salon?

• Love 2

Part of helping with the dress is making sure it isn't damaged.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the employees wanting to be in the room. I know they need to make sure their property isn't damaged. I said it was lame that they looked so peeved and I still think that. I've worked retail and some customers have odd requests - you just adjust.

Edited by trimthatfat

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the employees wanting to be in the room. I said it was lame that they looked so peeved.

Given that the whole family had to show up, littles running around unchecked, Boob asking for styles they haven't carried in 30 years and blah blah blah modesty, family commenting on camera about what other brides were wearing, it was just the last straw in the peeving. It was insane that the whole effing family had to go. 

• Love 14

Given that the whole family had to show up, littles running around unchecked, Boob asking for styles they haven't carried in 30 years and blah blah blah modesty, family commenting on camera about what other brides were wearing, it was just the last straw in the peeving. It was insane that the whole effing family had to go. 

Oh, I definitely agree that it was insane for the whole family to attend the bridal consultation. I still grimace when I think of Jim Bob inserting his two cents into what he wanted to see Michelle wear.

• Love 3

The more I think about Mechelle not wanting anyone to see her in the dressing room it really kinda pisses me off. Its just another way to show how pious she is BUT she fails to see how it affects others. Once again a Duggar takes the JOY out of a situation. Her family's being late and mean pranks are worse but this is just an example of her self involved interaction with others.

• Love 6

Yeah I agree. Maybe it's just me but I don't particularly enjoy company in dressing rooms, even if they're pros. Maybe I'm too modest... ha.

• Love 1

If they were banned from Kleinfeld, why not do it at the shop where TLC has the Atlanta spinoff?

Lori wouldn't put up with the dog and pony show that is the Duggars. Period. And imagine what would happen if an openly gay man was featured as well. The quest for a "suitably modest" wedding gown should give anyone (including the viewers) a sick headache, IMHO.

• Love 5

There was apparently an ardent desire to discuss the Say Yes to the Dress episode on which the Duggars appeared.  In case you haven't seen it, they brought all the kids (ALL) to Kleinfeld to "help" Michelle pick out a dress for their vow renewal.  If you haven't seen it, you must.  Try Netflix.

Anywho, this is a place to discuss this episode and all Duggar-related things that happened therein.  I know it's not technically an episode of this show, but for all intents and purposes it might as well be.  So discuss modesty panels and Michelle's weird aversion to letting professionals actually do their jobs here.

• Love 3

I can't even imagine what must have happened in the salon while the howlers were running amok, herp derp Jim Boob was desperately trying to find something with "puffy sleeves" and a turtleneck that was out in 1989, and MEChelle (thank you to whoever came up with it) was insisting that she is soooooo modest she couldn't possibly have a store employee in the room while she's trying on a wedding dress that goes for a minimum of $1500. And we all know damn well that ugly monstrosity probably went for a lot more than that.

I am only sorry that TLC didn't insist that Jill go to SYTTD Atlanta to obtain the blessedly modest wedding gown; I would have gotten the show on PPV to see what happened when they encountered both Lori and Monte.

• Love 1

A friend of mine once told me that after you have a host of strangers feeling around inside your hoo-haa during labor and delivery you come out the other side dramatically less uptight about modesty than you were before. With that said, I'm amazed that Michelle would make such a big deal about not allowing a female professional inside the dressing room with her. In their quest to cement their super-duper-ultimate Christian status, the Duggars make themselves look positively foolish.

• Love 8

They showed this episode on one of the Dishing with the Duggars episodes. I went to another blog & read posts that were done after episode originally aired. Besides Boob's comments about what he wanted in the dress, it sounded like Smuggar put in more than his two cents too. But somehow most of Smuggars comments were deleted when the Dishing with.....episode aired recently. Don't know if the Netflix episode has it or not. Sounds like his comments were worse than Boobs. They also commented about Smuggars & Anna's PDA in the salon (a lot of kissing, Anna sitting on his lap, etc)

On the Dishing episode, MEchelle tried to explain what Boob meant by a puffy sleeved dress. She said he meant the little sleeves princess dresses have. She went on trying to describe it. By this point she was driving me nuts in her explanation & I started yelling at TV "they are called cap sleeves idiot!!" Funny thing about the whole thing was she had on one of her infamous blouses that have the cap/puffy sleeves. She could have just said "sleeves like these". And we know Boob meant the long puffy sleeves that were the rage in the 80's. I should know - I also got married in 1984 (like Boob & MEchelle) & my dress had them.

• Love 2

michelle-duggar-wedding-dress-3.jpg

Photo description from TLC:  While the Duggar kids alternately misbehave, and then fall asleep, Debbie searches for the perfect dress to please her bride.

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/photos/michelle-duggar-wedding-dress3.htm

michelle-duggar-wedding-dress-6.jpg

Photo description from TLC:  Jim Bob and the kids hang in there through the long day.

michelle-duggar-wedding-dress-7.jpg

Photo description from TLC:  Even Josh steps in to share his opinion on the dress.

___

That makes how many kids PLUS Josh and Anna and their kids??

I thought her dress was pretty if too modest (never thought I'd see the day when I thought something was TOO modest) but the kids, wow, they were out of control.

Oh also... I feel really sorry for the consultant after this whole thing.

• Love 1

Does anyone know what series/season of SYTTD this was? I'm looking on Netflix, but there is the original show, SYTTD Atlanta, and another one subtitled " -- Knows Best" (the name of the guy just escaped me; I've never seen the show). There are so many seasons all put together that I'm not even sure where to look.

• Love 1

Does anyone know what series/season of SYTTD this was? I'm looking on Netflix, but there is the original show, SYTTD Atlanta, and another one subtitled " -- Knows Best" (the name of the guy just escaped me; I've never seen the show). There are so many seasons all put together that I'm not even sure where to look.

Say Yes to the Dress: Season 4, Episode 6

100 Dresses and Counting (2 Oct. 2009)

Consultant Debbie has her hands full when Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar come to the salon with their 18 kids to select a dress for Michelle and Jim Bob's wedding vow renewal.

• Love 2

Agreed. No style, no shape. Wonder why the store even stocked that one. 

MEchelle picked it because it looked like something you would wear if you were pregnant and counting.  Horrid!  It's just bad beyond belief.  I am MEchelle's age and I would be so embarrassed to even put that crap on and walk out in front of my family.  

Maybe that is why she didn't want the person in the dressing room.  

• Love 1

That dress Mechelle chose for her vow removal ceremony, which wasn't necessary at all, started out as a nice dress that Kleinfeld stocked. It was her awful body, oversized nursing boobs, and those horrible modest alterations that they had to work in that ruined the dress. She added those stupid puff capped sleeves on that thing too, which didn't help, Also, her awful cheap orange sunless tanner, and that spit-slicked down flat hairstyle she sported which completed the horrendous "look".

• Love 7

I’ve never been to a wedding where a bride’s mother or mil had their wedding dresses on "display".   I've been to weddings where the dresses were re-used/ re-done for the wedding, but not on display.   Is this a regional custom?

• Love 2

I’ve never been to a wedding where a bride’s mother or mil had their wedding dresses on "display".   I've been to weddings where the dresses were re-used/ re-done for the wedding, but not on display.   Is this a regional custom?

No -it is just called tacky and wanting attention!

• Love 8

IIRC they displayed Derrick's fathers police or some type of uniform to honor/remember him. Of course Michelle couldn't let anyone else out do her/show her up so they displayed "her" gown. Don't think it was mentioned that it was originally Grandma's.

I can't even imagine what must have happened in the salon while the howlers were running amok, herp derp Jim Boob was desperately trying to find something with "puffy sleeves" and a turtleneck that was out in 1989, and MEChelle (thank you to whoever came up with it) was insisting that she is soooooo modest she couldn't possibly have a store employee in the room while she's trying on a wedding dress that goes for a minimum of $1500. And we all know damn well that ugly monstrosity probably went for a lot more than that.

I am only sorry that TLC didn't insist that Jill go to SYTTD Atlanta to obtain the blessedly modest wedding gown; I would have gotten the show on PPV to see what happened when they encountered both Lori and Monte.

I'm guessing if TLC ever thought of having Jill look for a dress at Lori's in Atlanta, it was JB and Michelle who said "No, we won't go there..."   For obvious reasons.

Is this the same dress on display at Jill's wedding or was it the dress from her original marriage?

I'm curious what it looked like before all the alterations required to make it modest enough. (not curious enough to Google it or anything, but I bet it looked really different)

Almost 3000 haha apparently several of us are just not interested enough to Google it (no judgment, me too!). 

I thought it was really neat that they displayed Derick's Dad's uniform at the wedding. Also thought it was pretty weird to display Michelle's when she was THERE herself. I didn't think about it earlier but I bet the whole "modest" vow renewal (or removal lol) gown would've been different from her original wedding gown though.

I thought it was really neat that they displayed Derick's Dad's uniform at the wedding. Also thought it was pretty weird to display Michelle's when she was THERE herself.

Yeah. What was the point of that? It's not like she's Princess Diana or something.  Who needs to see her dress? 

I suppose Derick's dad's uniform was a sweet idea, although a lovely pic of he and Derick would have been nice as well. 

• Love 3

As horrific as the vow renewal monstrosity of a dress was, at least it saved the viewers from the awful spector of watching J'Chelle repeat her "I Do's" wearing her puffy green shirt and shapeless denim skirt. She is the very definition of hot mess.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 1

Was Randy involved in that episode? I saw part of it in a rerun once, but can't remember. I do remember thinking her posture was atrocious even then.

HPmec, unfortunately, the only part of that description that Mechelle hears in her head is "hot." She's never gotten over cheerleader syndrome. Some people never mentally leave high school.

Oh kasseygreene, thank you so much, but I can't take credit for the "vow removal". That would belong to Jessa, I'm afraid. During the preparation for the "removal" ceremony, they interviewed Jessa and she said vow "removal". The producer off camera caught that and corrected her. She said, did I say removal? He said, you sure did and played it back for her. She then went on to say how hard they were working on that ceremony and that they were very tired... that shows me that Michelle and Jim Bob's adult children are TOO involved in their lives and use them as free labor. I wish I thought of it, though!!  Thanks!!

• Love 2