Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I did read that Katie McGrath handled the whole mess very well, so at least there's that.

This may be, strange as it may seem, part of what's driving this? There's a fan perception that Katie McGrath looked uncomfortable in that video and the juxtaposition of uncomfortable Katie McGrath vs. the rest of the cast who are clearly having fun is really bad because everyone knows that feeling of being forced to laugh along with people about something that bothers you. Double or triple that feeling for LGBTQ+ fans who sometimes have had to laugh along with something because it would be dangerous not to, and wow, that is like rubbing salt right into a gaping wound.

• Love 1
(edited)

Jesus... I didn't hear anything about this, so I looked up the Tumblr responses mentioned upthread and saying the fans went nuclear is an understatement. I get why it could offend people but do people really think social media attacks (not saying how offensive it was to them or why they were upset but things like personal attacks on the actors) will do anything? All this does is put the show and actors on the defensive instead of starting any dialogue or bringing any understanding as to why it's being found offensive. 

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Love 4

Isn't Jordan the one who was trying to get his lesbian cousin away from one of those pray away the gay type schools a year or so ago? I guess I can see the thing being a bit insensitive but I think it's ridiculous if people are calling him homophobic and attacking him over it.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

Isn't Jordan the one who was trying to get his lesbian cousin away from one of those pray away the gay type schools a year or so ago? I guess I can see the thing being a bit insensitive but I think it's ridiculous if people are calling him homophobic and attacking him over it.

Yes, he was, which was exactly the point I raised in his favor when I defended him on Twitter.

And as I noted above, he's learned his lesson.  He now gets why everyone was upset and has admitted that he was wrong and has sincerely apologized for the incident.  Moreover, most of the haters have forgiven him and moved on (except for a few people who simply don't know how to let things go).

• Love 3

I'm obviously completely on my own with this and maybe it's because I'm not overly involved in this particular fandom but.. I never picked up on any queerbaiting or even any Romantic vibes between Kara and Lena. I just thought it was a nice friendship which was there to parallel the Clark/Lex friendship in other shows. 

• Love 9
(edited)

The elephant in the room that has not been mentioned yet is that a significant number of Supercorp supporters (but not only them) have been constantly sending lots of very insulting social media messages (e.g. tweets) to actors (such as Jeremy, Chris, Melissa, Rahul), producers (including Andrew Kreisberg), other people involved with the show (like Sterling Gates, who was one the writers of episode 2x13 or Leanne Aguilera who has interviewed the cast or Kevin Smith who directed two episodes), and fans of the ship between Kara and Mon-El (Karamel) for months. These messages are not difficult to find in social media. In the week before SDCC Kevin Smith and Leanne Aguilera spoke about the insulting messages that they have got because of this on their Twitter accounts. Rahul spoke about the hateful messages that he received right after he was announced as playing Lena's ex in a recent interview. It has been and still is quite bad. 

For the record, I am aware that a majority of Supercorp supporters and people who don't like Mon-El or his fictional relationship with Kara have not sent hate or insults to anyone. I am also aware of the reasons that people have for not liking the ship or the character. I do think that every storyline or character or ship in any show or movie or story can be criticised. But I also believe that any criticism can be done in a respectful manner. I have no problem with people having different opinions and expressing them publicly and trying to convince showrunners to change their storylines if they are not happy with them as far as they do not send insulting messages to real people. Some of the hate that has been sent has been extremely bad. I also think that people involved in the show and fans should be able to express positive opinions if they want to, that all ships, canon or fanon, are valid, and that everyone should be able to enjoy any show in the way that makes them happy.

I have also seen plans shared in social media by a big number of people (many of them Supercorp supporters) to boycott Chris' presence in SDCC and make him feel as uncomfortable as possible because he has spoken about the perspective of the character he plays, his character development to heroism and his relationship with Kara (btw Chris he got the loudest cheer during the Supergirl panel). I have seen messages shared by Supercorp supporters 'joking' about murdering Chris during SDCC so Mon-El wouldn't return back.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cast actions and reactions during that song, who were childish, had something to do with months of all this hate being sent to them. It is not nice receiving hateful messages so I don't think that everyone in the cast have happy thoughts about the Supercorp fandom and maybe they had too much fun with this particular joke. 

I do think that the cast members who participated in that song shouldn't have done it, because the way they said that Kara and Lena were only friends and a romantic relationship between them will not happen in the show could have be interpreted as mocking because of the song and their reactions. I also think that this has been blown out of proportion because some of the Supercorp supporters were already unhappy about characters and storylines and statements from actors/ producers about the story that they want to tell. Maybe it wouldn't have been interpreted as mocking Supercorp and LGTB+ fans if the most vocal Supercorp supporters weren't already hating vehemently the direction that the show seems to be taking (Mon-El returning + Lena and Kara as friends and not a romantic couple).

I also think that some of the opinions and summaries that have been posted online about this situation as a response to people asking what had happened during that interview are not true or biased. For example, Chris was the one cast member in that room who didn't laugh or react during that moment (when Jeremy said that they were just friends) but a lot of people is saying that Chris was mocking fans and Katie was not. Full disclaimer, as a Karamel shipper and Chris Wood fan I am probably biased too. So the best way to get an opinion is watch the video.

I have read many social media messages from LGTB+ people on this issue trying to really understand their perspective. Many said that they think that this wouldn't have happened if this wasn't a wlw ship so there is homophobia involved. Many said that this has been really bad for them because shipping LGTB+ ships can be important for people struggling with their identity to help them accept themselves and feel that they deserve happiness and love. Many said that shipping is sometimes the way some LGTB+ people use to cope in difficult times, and they are crushed because Supercorp was their safe happy place and now it does not feel safe and happy anymore. Many said that they are feeling terribly bad because they have interpreted this as a non LGTB+ person telling them that the way they are and their feelings are not important or valid. Many said that because there is discrimination against LGTB+ everyone should be specially sensitive and not saying things that could be affecting negatively LGTB+ people. Many said that this situation has been a trigger to them reminding them of bad experiences. Many said that non LGTB+ shouldn't be the ones to decide what is discrimination and how to feel about the idea of two women loving each other. I am listening to all these opinions and think that they have good points.

So this situation has been a mess and it would have been better if that joke during the song hadn't happened. And I think that apologies were necessary because feelings were hurt.

In their defense, the cast spent all day joking about everything in all their interviews. That same day they also joked about Karamel and made fun of each other. I don't think that what happened at that interview was planned, it was just an improv song and it happened.

I also think that Jeremy is a good guy and he feels truly sorry. He has listened to the feedback that he has received and I don't think that he would do something similar in the future. I think that it is difficult to understand what is being part of a minority when you are not part of it and he has probably learned from this incident.

Edited by emarasmoak
  • Love 8
(edited)

I don't doubt the hurt feelings but  wanting the show be cancelled seems foolish and counterproductive to me. Despite Maggie's actress not being a regular I want the Alex/Maggie to be the best and most rewarding romantic relationship on the show throughout how many seasons it will run. That will serve as a lasting positive legacy for future generations of LGBT and remembered more than some dumb, ill advised moment at a comic con.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

My heart breaks for how this all went down.  I understand the need to be represented and to feel respected.  As a member of a different minority community that is also underrepresented in entertainment (and often grossly misrepresented the rare times we are included), it's a sensitive and important topic for me as well.  But, I also realize that many times the things that trigger anger and hurt for me are truly not understood as offensive from those outside my community who don't live with my reality every day, and I think that's what happened with the situation this weekend.  And for those times when the offense is unintentional, I think it's best to call it out with respect and a focus on educating people rather than the extreme lashing out that has been going on the past couple of days. 

I imagine that Jeremy, Melissa, and the others didn't fully understand the deeply personal meaning that particular fanbase attached to their ship before this happened.  They knew they were passionate about it, sure, but maybe not aware of the complexity of why it was so important to them.  I feel so bad for Jeremy especially.  I've mentioned here before that I've been a fan of his for many years.  I've met him a couple of times, and while obviously I don't know him on a personal level, I've seen and experienced the generosity and kindness he extends to his fans and have nothing but respect for him.  He's the kind of guy that will stand outside a theatre and greet fans for as long as it takes to make sure he's gotten a chance to speak to everyone, take pics, sign autographs, etc.  I've also seen him share very personal things about himself and his own challenges in life in the hope that he might be an encouragement to others, particularly his younger fans who may be struggling with various things in life.  Given all this, it's easy to believe that he is probably truly very hurt and sad about what happened this weekend.  He's apologized numerous times and explained that he has learned something from this that he will carry with him, and I don't doubt his sincerity.  While I can now understand more about the initial anger and betrayal some felt about the situation, at this point and after him reaching out to them and apologizing, it's almost pathological and bordering on scary the way some are continuing to attack. 

Any thoughts as to whether this will have any effect on what happens on the show?  In particular, might it change the way they handle scenes with Kara and Lena?  I'm not sure.  The reaction has just been so extreme that I wonder if they night be discussing how to best proceed. 

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Yeah, I feel like this is one of those things that happens when people conflate one ship (which is explicitly not canon) and the LGBT+ community.  Like, if they were talking about the show's treatment of its actual queer characters, that might be different, but reactions to specific romantic pairings are questions of preference, not representation.

That being said, however, making fun of your fans is always kind of a dick move.  Like, I don't blame him, or anyone else in the cast, for having a problem with shippers who've taken things too far, but they probably insulted a good number of people who haven't been involved in any of that.

• Love 4

It's all fine to fantasise and everyone has the right to like what they want. But when cast members and crew are threatened and it starts to go further, that can go too far. 

But never mess with shipper fans. They really are so passionate (and it really means so much to them and their lives) and with social media, they have huge followings. I just don't like shows that bend to the will of shipping fans just to please them. It has to work for the story. I guess because I have followed so many shows where the shipper fans have taken it too far, and I left the fandom for shows because I like to discuss my favorite shows, and not get into shipping wars, and have been hassled before for it. I stay well away from shipping discussions now.

With that said what he did was a bad move, but he has learnt his lesson. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Those Supercorp fans have been very nasty for a long time and have constantly attacked the actors and everyone associated with the show. Say one nice thing about Mon-El? Off with your head! Be a one episode guest star playing Lena's ex? (You can skip to 1:20)

And they are very gross about Chris, even leaving nasty comments about him on Melissa's Waco cast member's instagram. They were nasty before this joke and they will be nasty after it. The only thing that'll satisfy them is making Supercorp canon which is never going to happen. 

Edited by Xander
  • Love 3
(edited)

I just read about this in some other article, so i did some reading, and now I just registered because I wanted a place to talk about it, lol. There are a lot of misconceptions about shippers in general in some of the writeups. It seems like the cast was treating it like general shipping. The people angry were treating it like an LGBTQ issue. Some of the worst comments seem to be made by people who wanted to treat it like both.

As a giant smallville fan, the way I see it is that the cast was responding to a Chloe + Clark shipper situation, and the crowd responded like it was a Clark + Lex situation.

I can tell you, as someone who was around at the time, on tv and online communities, TPTB over Smallville ridiculed Chlarkers just as badly as anything I've seen here.

If his first apology had seemed as well thought out and sincere as his second, I'd bet most sincere people would have acknowledged it and moved on.

As for the second one, I've also seen people say that he was basically saying "I'm sorry you were hurt." I disagree. "I'm sorry you were hurt" and "I'm sorry I hurt you" are two TOTALLY different things.

Edited by wraithlead
  • Love 1

I was totally taken aback by the reaction at first but having read some of the reasoning for why and how this is a sensitive topic I think I grok why some people were quite so upset.

My antennae for this sort of thing is nonexistent but I don't actually think the series has been queerbaiting Kara and Lena. The issue is partly that - as anyone who has seen Merlin will know - Katie McGrath often has a very intense sort of onscreen chemistry with other actors. When you combine this with the fact that Lena almost never interacts with anyone other than Kara or with her mother it just really magnifies the issue. (This isn't just an issue with Lena incidentally; the show is pretty bad about having characters interact outside a particular couple or small group - we barely ever see Maggie interact with other characters without Alex as a buffer.)

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Lazlo said:

Katie McGrath often has a very intense sort of onscreen chemistry with other actors.

I never saw Merlin, but yeah... she basically eyefucks everyone in sight. I think her eyes are so gorgeous that it's just built in.

• Love 5
On 2017-7-24 at 6:42 PM, emarasmoak said:

I also think that some of the opinions and summaries that have been posted online about this situation as a response to people asking what had happened during that interview are not true or biased. For example, Chris was the one cast member in that room who didn't laugh or react during that moment (when Jeremy said that they were just friends) but a lot of people is saying that Chris was mocking fans and Katie was not. Full disclaimer, as a Karamel shipper and Chris Wood fan I am probably biased too. So the best way to get an opinion is watch the video.

I finally watched that video and agree with you  that he didn't laugh or mock fans. I'll go further to say that imo he actually looked uncomfortable, like he didn't know how to react. 

I'm not a Karamel shipper and the only thing I know of Chris Wood was that he was horribly evil as Kai on TVD so I don't think I'm biased.

The rest of them though did not endear themselves to me. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I never saw Merlin, but yeah... she basically eyefucks everyone in sight. I think her eyes are so gorgeous that it's just built in.

DUDE. Merlin is on Netflix so if you ever have time... Or maybe just watch a few clips off YouTube. But yeah, that's basically it. Katie isn't the best actress -- not the worst either, just middle of the road, really -- but her ability to have chemistry with everybody is unbelievable.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:
On 7/24/2017 at 1:42 AM, emarasmoak said:

I finally watched that video and agree with you  that he didn't laugh or mock fans. I'll go further to say that imo he actually looked uncomfortable, like he didn't know how to react. 

I'm not a Karamel shipper and the only thing I know of Chris Wood was that he was horribly evil as Kai on TVD so I don't think I'm biased.

I think he knew immediately what the reaction from this was going to be!

I wish I could tell Chris and the rest of the cast that this will die down once the show ends but Sarah Michelle Gellar said in the EW 20th anniversary Buffy reunion that she still gets hate mail and death threats because she once said Buffy should be with Angel and not Spike.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I think he knew immediately what the reaction from this was going to be!

Oh, I agree with you.

I have watched most of the interviews during that day, and I think that Chris was nervous at the beginning of the day and got a bit more relaxed as the interviews went on. The cast (specially Melissa and David) seemed to be quite protective towards him. I think that he was hyper-aware of the possibility of any of his actions being interpreted as proof of what a horrible person he is as it usually happens with everything he does or says. And that he was nervous about the possibility of getting hate during the day.

There is a reason why Chris has almost disappeared from social media in the last eight months. And he is not the only one in the cast (Jeremy said that he would take a break of social media months ago - he tweeted something about all relationships being beautiful just before 2x13 and he received a lot of hate because people interpreted that he was supporting karamel).

All of the cast probably knew about the plans widely shared in social media by many of the most vocal Supercorp supporters (and others) to boycott and boo Chris' presence at SDCC. Just before the finale there was a finale public screening -Katie was there so there were a lot of Supercorp supporters- and many people booed every time that his character appeared so him being booed at SDCC was a real possibility. One of the things that was planned was that during the panel or interviews he would get questions that would make him feel very uncomfortable. Some interviewers asked Supergirl fans to send them questions for SDCC and they received suggestions that were quite extreme and offensive in my opinion. The explicit goal for many of the people who send hate is to make him leave the show or TPTB decide to eliminate the character and/ or his fictional romantic relationship with Kara because they hate Mon-El / Karamel and many of them say that they hate Chris too (extremely offensive things about him and Melissa -his girlfriend- have been shared in social media). Many of them have said that only thing that will satisfy them is making Supercorp canon. And I think that the cast knew about this because SDCC was alerted about these plans.

So maybe what happened during that interview had something to do with an increased anxiety within the cast, specially if they talk to each other about the hate. In addition to that, SDCC is not easy. The cast mentioned in another interview that they got a long list of things that they couldn't speak about as TPTB do not want them to spoil certain storylines, and there were just a few things that they could and should talk about. They also have to be funny and entertaining during a long day full of interviews.

BTW, I have seen people in social media saying that they were unhappy that Supercorp was singled out for no reason at all (nobody has talked about other non-canon ships such as SuperCat or KarOlsen or MonWinn). Well, I think that one of the reasons could be all the hate that many members of the cast and producers (specially Chris, Melissa, Rahul and Andrew Kreisberg but not only them) have received from many of the most vocal Supercorp supporters. They are not the only ones but many of the people sending hate identify themselves as such (you don't need to accept my word on that - it is quite easy finding hate messages in social media). And again, I am well aware that the majority of Supercorp shippers do not send hate. It is a shame that many of the most vocal ones do. So yes, I don't think that everyone in the cast have happy thoughts about Supercorp. I know that I used to like it but I don't enjoy interactions between Kara and Lena as I used to do because I am thinking about the hate messages that will follow.

It's so sad that this situation is hurting so many people. Including normal shippers who do not send hate. Including LGTB+ people. Including the cast.

Edited by emarasmoak
  • Love 3

Maybe I am missing something but I just don't get how some people can take a ship so far as to harass anyone they see as a "threat." Especially actors who, in most cases, have little to no control over what is written and are just doing their job. I get being invested in a ship and why Supercorp has special meaning to many but it sounds like to a small hardcore faction of those shippers it has been taken too far. The only ship I have ever really gotten invested in was Emma and Hook on Once Upon a Time and even though TPTB on that show treat that relationship horribly and as an afterthought a lot of times, I don't go harassing them, or the actors, on social media. With ships, nothing is owed to you or the characters you are pushing for. While it is nice when TPTB take what fans want into consideration it is totally up to them where they want to take the show, for better or worse. It's fine to be invested and complain, but it's ultimitely their show and they are the ones who decide what happens and the story they are telling.

• Love 7
(edited)
22 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Maybe I am missing something but I just don't get how some people can take a ship so far as to harass anyone they see as a "threat." Especially actors who, in most cases, have little to no control over what is written and are just doing their job.

Agreed. Everyone can be unhappy or disagree with whatever storylines they get in a show. Sending hate or 'joking' about murdering an actor is not okay. Criticism can be done in a respectful manner.

I hated Arrow season 5. I used to love Olicity but I think that they ruined it for me. I expressed my opinions online but didn't send hate to anyone. I stopped watching in January. So yes, I understand what is like feeling that someone is transforming your favourite show and ship into something you hate.

I had never felt the need to block people in social media but my block list is hundreds of people now because I am a Karamel shipper so I have been a hate target too.

Edited by emarasmoak
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, emarasmoak said:

I had never felt the need to block people in social media but my block list is hundreds of people now because I am a Karamel shipper so I have been a hate target too.

Yikes! Sorry about all the hate you've gotten!

• Love 2
(edited)

Now this is why I keep well away from shipping debates. I know some people only watch for the relationships and ships. But It is why I never discuss my favourite shows on social media, I much like old school forums for this exact reason, it way better for healthy discussions. I find social media horrible, with all the trolls and people who threaten and do stuff as as been mentioned above. That is why forums are way better than social media to talk about shows, forums have mods who can take care of issues, you can't do that on social media really, unless you block people. Social media can't control all the trolls and horrible people who start fights and threaten.

I feel so sorry for those who have been given a hard time online because of shipping stuff. I too have had the same in the past, and why I just keep away. It is the one thing I hate about social media. 

Edited by nightwing877
  • Love 2

Crossover dates were announced at TCA's:

• Monday, Nov. 27, 8 Pm: Supergirl (and they're promising it'll be a real 4-show crossover this time!)
  • Monday, Nov, 27, 9 Pm: Arrow (Special night)
  • Tuesday, Nov, 28, 8 Pm: Flash
  • Tuesday, Nov, 28, 9 Pm: Legends of Tomorrow

As before, it's the week after (US) Thanksgiving (and just 10 days after the Justice League movie premieres).  So far as what it's going to be about, CW boss Mark Pedowitz said,

Let me just say, romance is in the air. What’s the joy of having the third Avengers? It’s the fun of having everybody get together, that’s the fun of it. You get to see a whole different thing. They’re all big episodic productions, but this will be even bigger.

• Love 3

Kevin Smith directing again, BTW.

The sense I get is that whenever Smith directs, it's like having a laid-back substitute teacher that week.

Edited by Trini
Gah! Hate when my typos get quoted!
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, Trini said:

I sense I get is that whenever Smith directs, it's like having a laid-back substitute teacher that week.

But I think he's right. The editors know how the show is supposed to look; his job is to have a consistent mental picture of how the script plays out and get the shots in the can within budget. He might have some interesting ideas about camera shots, but get too fancy and he's just going to gum up the works. 

• Love 1

It's funny, but I sometimes find myself looking forward to the yearly Kevin Smith outing more for the unfiltered fan joy than the episodes themselves. That man posts from sets like a kid in a candy store. He's just so happy to be there, he loves his job, he loves the shows, and when that enthusiasm translates on screen, it's wonderful.  It's fun, and shouldn't it be?

• Love 4

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Oh wow, I thought it was just a poster/backdrop!

Agreed, I thought it was a banner for a moment myself before the background came into focus around it and then you notice how 3-d it looks. It still might be (it's such a quick shot), but if it is a statue it is huge.

This is kind of sort of media related because this show was mentioned-so I'm putting it here, to express my ?????over not seeing MichaelFUCKING!Rosenbaum show up as Lex. He has a podcast and he recently interviewed ? ❤️?❤️?Tom Welling?❤️?❤️?and this show was brought up and he said he didn't want to reprise his role!???????Because it's a different show/universe.

DAMMITFUCKDAMMIT!!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1