Type keyword(s) to search

Thomas Ravenel & Kathryn Dennis: Will He Put A Ring On It?

• Start Topic

I wish Kathryn would do something normal with her hair.  She very obviously has extensions or something, and it's distracting and severe-looking.  She looked so lovely last season with it just plain old down and undone.  I feel like she's dressing this way / doing herself up this way in some kind of terrible First Lady imitation.

I love JD.  He reminds me of old college friends.  He's clearly friends with TRav at least in part because of the business it brings in, and I don't blame him.  I think he's amused by Thomas, and likes playing the part of older, wiser friend.

• Love 5

And he wanted to pursue Dani but then saw this 20 year old offering herself.

It was Dani who was not at all interested in him. He tried. She wasn't having it. So he then moved on to Kathryn. 

• Love 3

Plus she had broken up with Shep because he was a womanizing manchild who wasn't interested in marriage. Why would she start dating a much older less handsome, less witty, uptight womanizing manchild?

• Love 9

Does anyone have any info of what Katheryn was like before the show? I know she was a sorority girl at USC. But is she from a good family herself? I mean other than Her 200 year old last name

Yes, a very good family. They are nowhere near as wealthy as they once were, but are very respectable. Interestingly, she did not deb at St. Cecelia's, which is a little odd considering the family name- it only would have taken buying the dress. 

She did not finish USC and dropped out of tri-delt before that. She has modeled locally for quite awhile and I think she thought of making that a career, but was probably considered too old by the time she got around to it. It's a shame because she's actually very bright. 

• Love 3

I think Kathryn still harbors delusions of being a glamorous fashion model, which is why we see her with pounds of eyelashes and elaborately wacky hairdos. She reminds me of attendees of fly by night modeling schools. "Do you have what it takes to be a glamorous high fashion model? " She really does have a fresh prettiness when she's not spackled with artifice - I've likened her before to a young Sissy Spacek - and she's definitely tall enough to model. The professional models I know, though, would never wear such heavy amateurish makeup. They opt for the no makeup makeup look

• Love 5

I really wish she would reconsider loosing all that weight, she looks so much better with a little meat on her bones. Her face looks better filled out. Danni could use a couple pounds herself. But I think Kathryn looks much more elegant this season, and she got some great makeup advice compared to all that caked on turquoise eye shadow last season

She is! She has a Facebook page as well under Candace Yearwood Leaird. She looks like a stunning woman and even has a daughter now

• Love 1

Quoting from the episode thread:

I'm looking forward to seeing Tom and Kathryn's new place

As am I, since I am wondering who lives there now. I had heard through the grapevine that Thomas was in Mt. Pleasant, not downtown Charleston on Charlotte St. But my source could be wrong, or he could have bought a second home. And that Kathryn was living with her parents, with Kensie.

I don't think it's wrong for Thomas to want his wife/girlfriend/babymama/female companion to be a support and keep the home neat and organized while he goes out tilting at windmills (sorry, just saw "Man of La Mancha"). She should also be available to look good on his arm at official functions and be charming to one and all. "Spotless reputation" is a goner here, but it's the modern era, right?

Thomas is 52 and was raised in a world where many men expected this. I'm the same age and from a similar background so I only say that as long as both parties agree then it's all good with me. Kathryn seems to want to fit that role, as long as she can walk to Starbucks (such a city-life cliche!) and her fave bars and visit hungover Craig in the afternoon and get shit-faced drunk now and then. She has no desire to go out and make her own career, happy to hitch her star to an established man. Again, no judgment from me. She's got an inkling that she needs to play this differently, hence the "put on my big girl pants and deal with the next 45 days" statement to Craig. Why didn't she pull herself together and do that? Might have gone a long way toward impressing Thomas that she could be an adult when necessary rather than always a needy young girl. He's such a party boy himself, her good times would not be over by far. 

• Love 2

I got to thinking about Thomas trying to act as if Kathryn isn't there during his campaign events. And how he wants her to stay hidden away at home. Is he really that dumb? By the time he started his run for office, the first season of this show had already aired. Everyone knew about Kathryn, about the other men she'd been with, about the baby.... how on earth did he think people didn't know?

• Love 3

Everyone knew about Kathryn, about the other men she'd been with, about the baby.... how on earth did he think people didn't know?

I guess in a statewide election there really are a large number of voters who have never even heard of "Southern Charm" or read any "current" gossip about Thomas. He wanted to minimize it as much as possible. Imagine if you didn't know anything about him and saw a typical campaign ad (not "Raise the Roof"), you might vote for him, especially if you didn't like Senator Lindsay Graham. People who didn't know the show might know of his former position as State Treasurer and then his prison term, but might say that he's past that and vote because they like his message. 

I think there was a time when he might have proudly shown Kathryn and Kensie in an ad, but then he couldn't decide to marry her and things were going downhill so he backed off. Overall, it seems to me that he also waited to late to get in the race, pull his team together, do fundraising, etc. So much of his campaign seemed to be for the cameras rather than truly serious. Next week's preview shows a yelling match between Thomas and Whitney with Whitney seeming to say that Thomas lost because he didn't use Whitney's ads. Both of them are totally deluded if they thought Thomas had a snowball's chance in hell of winning. Thomas is now (from what I saw of his WWHL appearance) embarrassed by a lot of things and angry that he spent so much of his own money on a losing campaign.

• Love 1

I wish he'd tell us who gave him the advice to run that he took it to heart and actually thought he had a chance. His dad, maybe?

I think it was that guy who he got advice from last season. Is that Will Folks who I've read tabloid articles about? He and Thomas parted ways late last summer. 

Once again, I think the campaign was 50% to have something going on for the show and 50% Thomas and Whitney believing way too much in their rich-boy dilettante daydreams.

ETA: I doubt it was his dad, whose advice is most likely "marry the mother of your child, get off TV, and settle down". Gossip seems to be saying that the Ravenel family are deeply embarrassed by Thomas.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 5

I believe it was Will who convinced Thomas to launch his bid, and also influenced both Thomas's decision to run as an Independent and to delay announcing until so late. Nancy Mace, Will's business partner, was running against Lindsey in the GOP primary; she and a host of other Tea Partyesque candidates divided the anti-Lindsey vote, so none of them ever had a shot. Enter Thomas, a fiscally conservative Libertarianesque candidate who wouldn't have to worry about splitting the animus toward Graham. It makes sense on paper, but it would have required a perfect candidate and it probably would have had to happen in the primary rather than the general. Lindsey was abstractly a top target for the anti-establishment right and in the last midterm cycle Nikki Haley had overcome a huge deficit in both polling and funding - as well as a really horrible whisper campaign that could have proved more damaging to her reputation than Thomas's prison stint was to his - to take out the sitting Lieutenant Governor in the gubernatorial primary. So, strictly in theory, such victories are not without precedent.

• Love 2

I wish he'd tell us who gave him the advice to run that he took it to heart and actually thought he had a chance. His dad, maybe?

Thomas blamed Andy Cohen the last time he was on WWHL.  A joke but seems that Thomas wanted encouragement and when he got it, he ran.  Now that he's lost spectacularly and with his own money, it's blame game time.

• Love 2

Did Thomas get dumped from office when he was treasurer?

And then he expects to win a higher office?

Talk about failing upwards. Guess he really estimates the power of that family name.

• Love 1

Yes, he had to resign once he was arrested and convicted. Oddly enough, the way the law works, he cannot run for a state office, but it's OK to run for federal office of Senator, Congressman, etc. He could run for President if he wanted to.

Yes, different laws apply for each state. He'd have to move and stay put for a period of time anywhere before running for office, not sure how long.

LOL, if he moved to DC, Whitney would be packing his own bags so fast Patricia would get the vapors and take to her bed....with a martini, Xanax and TCM.

• Love 5

Thomas is a drunken, entitled misogynist and yet I still find him more likeable than Kathryn. There's a coldness about her and she comes off contemptuous of everyone. I don't bame her for being contemptuous of Thomas - what makes for great reality TV probably sucks big time to live with in real life.

• Love 5

T-Rav is right this very minute having a Facebook/Twitter meltdown about what he calls "Bravo's lies." He wrote that he went to pick Kathryn up twice but that the makeup artist wasn't ready, etc. He also wrote that he won't do anymore interviews or go on Andy Cohen's show again. Like Andy Cohen seriously gives two shits.

We all know that Bravo plays fast and loose with editing, timelines and story arcs but holy cow, T-Rav is an asshole and a sore loser.

• Love 5

I didn't think TRav was coming off particularly poorly this season.

So he's mad at Bravo and Cameran?

No More TRav if the show is renewed?

Edited by scrb

I didn't think TRav was coming off particularly poorly this season.

So he's mad at Bravo and Cameran?

No More TRav if the show is renewed?

I can't imagine this show coming back without T-Rav, but it's quite possible and likely. He's definitely not as fun and carefree this season, but I suppose running for state senate, attempting to be a loving new father, and trying to please his pissy young babymama all on camera has a way of draining one's originally effortless onscreen charm. I still like him and all, but he definitely has lost his luster after he pretty much stole the show last season.

• Love 1

Thomas and Kathryn are interesting TV.  But if they left?  We've still got Shep and Craig for hilariously comic relief.  Their interplay, especially on last night's episode, was great fun!  Craig may be hopelessly stuck in Peter Pan mode which annoys me to no end.  But he sure is fun to watch with Shep.

I can't remember who posted it, or in which thread, but if someone local knows where the carriage house is located, please get in touch with me. Of where any of the other places from the show are. I want to add them to my Southern Charm Road Tour next weekend. :)

Just send me a PM. Thanks!

• Love 1

I can't remember who posted it, or in which thread, but if someone local knows where the carriage house is located, please get in touch with me. Of where any of the other places from the show are. I want to add them to my Southern Charm Road Tour next weekend. :)

Just send me a PM. Thanks!

or email cooksdelight @ ShepStalker.com  :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 4

If this two had met, outside of the show, they might have had a chance. Thomas liked the idea of Kathryn- a scion of 2 old Charleston families like he likes to say, but after last season aired and the bombshell of Kathryn sleeping with 3 cast members, within a 3 week period, aired on national TV, it put a kibosh on things. Thomas likes the pedigree and knows with his notoriety, the type of woman he thinks he should be with, who also want to be with him, are far and wide between. He liked Kathryn's attention, and maybe even thought he could make her a trophy wife, but now he is runnng scared, and maybe even his family are in his ear about the whole thing.

• Love 2

REDHAWK, ON 03 MAY 2015 - 6:00 PM, SAID:

Well... they've now got Kensington Calhoun Ravenel as their new scion, and I think Thomas will do his best to funnel some of his fortune to what likely will be his only child.

Oh, totally. Kensington will be bringing them a nice income stream. But I'm sure they're all a bit disappointed that they never got him on the line for marriage and then the eventual divorce settlement/alimony.

The thing is, he'll set aside money for Kensi's education and whatever she needs, but the family will get nothing. Thomas is at least smart enough not to put Kathryn on the payroll, knowing she'll use it for shoes and clothes. That's not his responsibility, that will fall to whichever guy she eventually does marry. But his daughter, yes, he will see that she has what she needs.

• Love 1

I think I read somewhere (??) that Kathryn has a younger brother.  Don't know, but could that have been him seated with his father and the other 2 gentlemen at the 2nd baptism?

Watching reruns today, Thomas said that he has the townhouse behind the big house on Charlotte St. So that big brick house isn't theirs. It's the smaller townhouse behind it.

They show her opening the door at a brick residence, and it probably is. But looking from above, there is a huge house, a pool and a smaller building adjacent to it. Which must be the townhouse.

:)

• Love 1
It looks so shabby, and not in a good way. Kathryn was on the phone with Thomas, about the ball, and the bed doesn't even have a dust ruffle. Just a bare, exposed box springs.

Well, they did just buy the furniture. I'm sure there are some items like that they still needed.

Or maybe it's just indicative that they both felt, subconsciously, that it was only temporary.

• Love 1

Oh, Cooks, don't get arrested scaling the walls or anything. Then you'll need to call Akim to get you out of jail.

Watching reruns today, Thomas said that he has the townhouse behind the big house on Charlotte St. So that big brick house isn't theirs. It's the smaller townhouse behind it, 29-1/2.

They show her opening the door at a brick residence, and it probably is. But looking from above, there is a huge house, a pool and a smaller building adjacent to it. Which must be the townhouse.

Getting my Waze coordinates ready..... checking out the streets on Google Earth.

:)

• Love 1