Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Smallfolk

• Start Topic

Sisters are doin' it for themselves.

Well, we knew the Hulls were going to come into play at some point. They may not get Driftmark, but a dragon ain't a bad consolation prize.

And Aemond may be a psycho, but he had Larys' number.

• Like 9

The indignities of his youth?  You mean the years he was bullied by his brother and you let it happen, bitch?  Damn, Ewan did so much with one eye in that scene.

Oh boy, Aemond is drunk with power.  This ain't gonna end well but I am so along for that ride.

Poor Ser Steffyn.  He seemed like a stand up guy, too.

Could've done without the stupid makeout session, but at least it wasn't a blood relative, I guess.

• Like 10
(edited)

The philosopher Jagger also said:

If you try sometimes

Well, you might find

You get what you need.

Edited by paigow
ETA: Incomplete lyrics
  • Like 5
(edited)

Also, is there going to be a dragon around Rhaena and thr kiddos? Will she get to ride a dragon?

Edited by Lamima
  • Like 3

Nothing against Tyland; who, like most of the Green Council, seems like one of the more normal folks here; but the return of Lord Jason Lannister was everything because he just perfectly personifies that damn family.  Dude brought his own lions to the proceedings!  Who does that?!  Why, the Lannisters do!  Got the swagger of Jaime, the one-liners of Tyrion, the ego of Cersei, and the dismissive attitude of Tywin!  He is so extra.  I love it!

The hard knocks just keep coming to Alicent, huh?  Her own son boots her off the council, her queen/hand with benefits thing with Cole seems all but done now, the small-folks throw literal fish at her (poor Helaena getting caught in the crossfire though), and Daddy Otto has pretty much blocked her number and unfriended her on all social media platforms.  Harsh!  At least Gwayne took enough pity to let her know the one son she didn't have a hand in raising is doing pretty well.  Suspect that isn't a coincidence.  Probably best to keep things that way....

Good news for Aegon is that it looks like he will pull through.  The bad news is that he will likely not ever walk again.  Oh, and he still has to deal with Aemond visiting him and showering him with some nice, fresh, veiled threats.  But he still has an ally in Larys, since the latter seems just a wee bit miffed over how Aemond refused making him Hand.  Of course, with Larys, his alliances only last as long as it will benefit him, so we'll see how stable this will be.

You just knew Rhaenyra's plan wouldn't work once you saw that Ser Steffyn was a decent enough of a fellow.  Unless you have Stark as your surname, anyone resembling decency is doomed in Westeros/on this show!  Rhaenyra herself seems to be losing it a bit as she now feels almost everyone is doubting her: even Jace.  Well, she has fallen into the arms of Mysaria, which, I guess it's good to see a Targaryen realize you don't have to keep it in the family, but we'll see if this leads to anything good.

Show almost made me care about the Harrenhal craziness again with the appearance of Hallucination Viserys and the return of Paddy Considine.  But it's still the weakest part of the season by far.  Even Matt Smith seems to be reduced to either looking bored or barely suppressing a grin over the silliness of all of this.

Not surprised that the small folk are having enough of the Green's bullshit, because Aemond really is making it easy for them.  Have to say that Aegon really was on point about trying to at least pretend to care about their lives.  Also liked that one of them yearned for the days of Viserys because, yeah: no matter his flaws and who might have actually been running the show, life seemed way better for commoners during Viserys' reign.

Rhaena might try her luck with this wild dragon that's around the Eyrie?!

So, after a little bit of a temper tantrum (to put it mildly), Seasmoke does end up finding someone worthy of being a dragon rider: one of Corlys' bastard sons.  Figured that was where this was heading.  But any potential alliance will likely be off to a rocky start since Rhaenyra assumes the rider is a Green and is one her way with a purpose.  

Spoiler

Thankfully, the previews already spoil that she won't just go in dragon's blazing and will actually have a conversation with him.

Did I mention how much I love Jason just marching with lions everywhere he goes?  I do love those vain and crazy Lannisters!

• Like 15

Smiles. Daemon and Rhaenyra always have had a lot in common and they have even more in common now. 

Pup lived through another episode. 2 more to go. Please please please let pup live.

Freddie Fox is giving a fine performance in his small role. Not a surprise him being from that particular family. He was very good in The Great too.

Things will go easier for Daemon now and his haunting is finished I believe. And hey he got the support of Alys Rivers who is not a ghost after all but Sir Simons real healer.

When Aemond pressed that orb thing into helpless Aegon's chest adding more agony to his suffering I decided yes I am rooting for Aemond's death now.

• Like 10

So why do the Lannisters have their own lions again ? They’re using them for what ? Do they deploy them in war or something.  I admit it’s a flex but to what end 🤔 

So Aemond and his arrogance were quite on display this episode. He has no people skills it seems and couldn’t care less about the small folk. Larys was trying to lay some knowledge on him about the small folk and he just brushed him off. He also pissed off one of the most sneaky motherf**kers in the realm who will now be actively working against him. Aemond wants poor Aegon on milk of the poppy and pretty much threatened the maester on the down low to keep him that way. Meanwhile Larys is like you only have your mind. Aemond also needs to remember that he isn’t always around Vhagar. He can be poisoned just like anyone else. I wonder if he will feel anything when he hears about his mom and sister in that riot. 

• Like 6

I don't understand why Rhaenyra is keeping her plans from her heir.  She keeps shooting herself in the foot by not showing competence to her council.  No wonder they don't have faith in her.

Aemond just doesn't give two shits!  Jason Lannister was arrogant to demand his presence, but why treat his council like shit?  Does he really believe Vhagar is the only ally he needs? I couldn't believe he insulted Larys like that.  I'm not surprised that he went to give Aegon a pep talk to get rid of Aemond. 

I know Aegon was a bully, but I still felt bad for him when Aemond came to menace and terrorize. 

It's something else that the only nice kid of Alicent is the one that grew up away from her. 

It's interesting that only one of Corlys' sons has white hair.  I thought both would have it. 

Seasmoke is a spiteful troll, why else bend down to the Kingsguard like he was going to let him on?  Poor guy.  I jumped when he jumped in front of the younger son.

I just don't get Rhaenyra with Mysaria.  Mysaria just confided that she was raped by her father for years, sterilized, and almost murdered but she felt that was the right time for sexual contact?! 

• Like 10
12 minutes ago, bluvelvet said:

So why do the Lannisters have their own lions again ? They’re using them for what ? Do they deploy them in war or something.  I admit it’s a flex but to what end 🤔 

A lot of monarchs and rulers kept menageries, historically, and lions were a particular favourite given the royal connotations. Given that House Lannister's symbol is a lion, I imagine it's there for show.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Aemond made me miss Aegon as ruler. At least Aegon pretended to care about the little folk. Aemond seems completely indifferent to the fact that his people are starving. I cannot believe I was Team Larys this episode.

So Alicent's one kid that grew up away from her is doing well. Ouch.

I guess the Colicent grossmance is now over?

Finally Rhaenyra has a solid plan for winning power. The way to a starving peoples' heart is through food. Respect.

Still over the Daemon-dreams-at-Harrenhaal story. Is there a BTS reason for all this? I wonder if Matt Smith had somewhat limited availability throughout S2 and thus his scenes had to be shot separately. It's a bit like how in S3 of Bridgerton apparently Jonathan Bailey was barely available.

• Like 7
14 minutes ago, peridot said:

I just don't get Rhaenyra with Mysaria.  Mysaria just confided that she was raped by her father for years, sterilized, and almost murdered but she felt that was the right time for sexual contact?! 

I think it was more about the hug showing intererest on Mysaria's side as well. She seemed to be telling the story from a place of strength rather than vulnerability.

I really want to see Rhaena get a dragon of her own.

• Like 10
3 minutes ago, peridot said:

I don't understand why Rhaenyra is keeping her plans from her heir.  She keeps shooting herself in the foot by not showing competence to her council.  No wonder they don't have faith in her.

Aemond just doesn't give two shits!  Jason Lannister was arrogant to demand his presence, but why treat his council like shit?  Does he really believe Vhagar is the only ally he needs? I couldn't believe he insulted Larys like that.  I'm not surprised that he went to give Aegon a pep talk to get rid of Aemond. 

I know Aegon was a bully, but I still felt bad for him when Aemond came to menace and terrorize. 

It's something else that the only nice kid of Alicent is the one that grew up away from her. 

It's interesting that only one of Corlys' sons has white hair.  I thought both would have it. 

Seasmoke is a spiteful troll, why else bend down to the Kingsguard like he was going to let him on?  Poor guy.  I jumped when he jumped in front of the younger son.

Consider this: This is the first time Rhaenyra has ever been affirmed as Viserys' heir. Folks are either talking at her or around her; nobody seemed to just sit with her and say to her, "You'd make a splendid Queen." The hug was cool, but putting her tongue down Mysaria's throat seemed a bit... desperate, perhaps? I'm all for Girl Power, but I don't think that Rhaenyra should poop where she eats.  Mysaria's idea was a roaring success in King's Landing. She should just be Rhaenyra's strategist only.

I will admit that Rhaenyra looked a bit silly with the sword. I guess she is trying to become more like Visenya.

I knew Ser Darklyn was toast the minute they summoned Seasmoke.  Seasmoke already had a rider in mind! He was probably miffed that they tried to put that palm colored man on him. Heh.

Seeing that Addam also suffers from ignored second bastard son syndrome, it was an enormous win to be chosen (by the dragon, no less) to be a dragonrider! While taking after their mother, Addam still has enough Valyrian blood to claim Seasmoke. 

I wonder why Alyn doesn't want to go to sea with his father? Addam was chomping at the bit just to get Corlys to acknowledge him, and he just marvels at the fact that Alyn has their father's attention.

Poor Aegon.

So there is a dragon running around the Vale? Was Lady Jane wondering if Rhaena could possibly tame it? Is Rhaena going to try to claim it? She really isn't interested in going to Pentos.

Alicent just can't win; Aemond kicks her off the Small Council, she very nearly got married off, and now she can't go to the Sept anymore. Now she is thinking of the son she sent away? A small spoiler ask:

Spoiler

Does Daeron have the Targaryen looks or is he more Hightowerish in appearance?

Jacerys is getting a bit too big for his britches. Now he has an attitude when Rhaenyra runs off to see who this new rider is...

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Is Everyone Gone said:

Still over the Daemon-dreams-at-Harrenhaal story. Is there a BTS reason for all this? I wonder if Matt Smith had somewhat limited availability throughout S2 and thus his scenes had to be shot separately. It's a bit like how in S3 of Bridgerton apparently Jonathan Bailey was barely available.

I think from the writers POV they are both humbling and humanizing Daemon.  He is also bound to be having an easier time now getting the Riverlands on his side which is very important  for the Blacks. Some empathy is very useful when you are trying to rule.

It's very obvious that the writing is giving more humanity to certain characters like Aegon (greatly helped by the actor) and now Larys. 

The only one who is careening into straight up monster is Aemond.

• Like 8
(edited)

Seasmoke completely played poor Ser Darklyn.  He was like sure come on over — then “naah”. BBQ knight. 

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Useful 2
(edited)

I know this is supposed to be a part of the narrative that The Man is holding her back, but I found myself irritated with Rhaenyra complaining that her own son doesn't believe in her simply because he made the common sense point that they need Daemon. You can't complain about lack of resources and dragons on the one hand while refusing to admit that Daemon -- who has the only other dragon who is big enough to fight -- is a valuable, even needed, asset. He believes in you, you goof. He's just trying to give good advice.

Edited by MJ Frog
One addtional point.
  • Like 14
8 minutes ago, MJ Frog said:

I know this is supposed to be a part of the narrative that The Man is holding her back, but I found myself irritated with Rhaenyra complaining that her own son doesn't believe in her simply because he made the common sense point that they need Daemon. You can't complain about lack of resources and dragons on the one hand while refusing to admit that Daemon -- who has the only other dragon who is big enough to fight -- is a valuable, even needed, asset.

I think in general the writers view Rhaenyra as their heroine, and give her the benefit of the doubt on everything. 

So there are 2 dragons skulking around? One in the Vale and then Seasmoke near Dragonstone? So we are assuming Rhaena will ride Vale dragon and Corlys’s dark haired bastard son riding Saesmoke?

Rhaenyra and Mysaria???? Make it make sense!

Why do the Lannisters have lions? Why were they bringing these lion on the march to the Riverlands? What exactly were they going to do with them?

• Like 1
(edited)

Forgot to add, the baby dragons are so cute. For some reason, they made me think of Aegon and Sunfyre , little Aegon with baby Sunfyre sharing sweets and playing 😔. Poor Sunfyre. 

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Like 4
  • Sad 4
1 hour ago, peridot said:

Me too!

These dragons aren’t quiet. They make all types of noises. They can’t move around or fly without making noise, and they’re conveniently and eerily silent when sneaking up on this guy.

• Like 2
(edited)

Oh Alicent. First you don’t get to be regent and now you’re fully fired from the council. Really regretting your choices aren’t you?

It occurred to me during this episode of Daemon’s vision quest how wild it would be if Alys wasn’t doing a damn thing and the Targaryen madness simply decided to reveal itself.

Seasmoke was willing and eager to bond again but Darklyn was the wrong guy. Seasmoke: MY new human hangs out on the beach and YOU ARE NOT HIM.

Hats off to Aemond for leading Larys to thinking he’d be Hand only to pull the rug out and request Otto’s return. Nicely played.

The Maesters are better than I thought. Aegon took direct dragon fire and is already healing much more and better than expected.

How to tell this isn’t Game of Thrones? Our Prince Joffrey is a sweetheart.

Sending food to Kings Landing was a smart move. And Rhaenyra has a ladyfriend! 

Did Otto send Daeron away the second he was born? How does Alicent know nothing about him? Her mothering gets worse every episode.

He went about it in a cruel way but Larys’ chat managed to get through to Aegon. Aemond earned himself a significant enemy this episode.

I love how the Tully family are named after Sesame Street. I’d like to meet Snuffy Tully. 

Edited by scarynikki12
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3

Again, dumb question. Are we meant to believe that Alys killed Grover on Daemon's behalf, so that he could treat with the heir unhindered? That's the impression I got but I also don't know if we're supposed to see her as being willing to do something like that.

I predicted Rhaenyra and Mysaria kissing about twenty seconds prior to it happening, but it was mostly a joke when I said it to myself--I actually was hoping for something more like her relationship with Alicent when they were young, just a bestie who was actually in her corner. But whatever they can find with each other will hopefully be good for them. I hope this has a happy ending and I'm more than happy to stick my fingers in my ears and close my eyes to any bad things on the horizon.

Dogwatch 2024 continues, lol. I now believe that the dog will survive, because it would be too cruel to keep showing him and then kill him off. Did we get a name for the dog?

• Like 9
(edited)

I'll be in the minority, but Aemond's doing a helluva job as prince regent so far. He's addressed the blockade; he's targeting Damon on two fronts, setting up a Damon vs Aemond matchup in the near future (Probs not a good idea since it'll leave Kings landing wide open, but that's his only mistake so far). He's also bought back a competent hand while getting rid of/ limiting the power of the snakes on the council. Sure, he's evil as fuck, but still quite competent.

Larys not liking Aemond doesn't really do anything to him unless Aegon has a wolverine-type healing factor and a guaranteed rider to take Aemond's place. At best, Larys is ingratiating himself with Aegon if he ever recovers. 

Finally, Rhaenyra made a good move. Not sure how I feel about the love triangle that's happening, but at least the tension with her son is working. I hope this doesn't sign his death warrant soon due to his trying something reckless in the war.  I can't imagine it feels good for somebody to hear so many times that they ain't shit without Damon. 

The Harenhall stuff has to be coming to an end now that Aemond and crew are headed there. I would be shocked if Damon vs. Aemond happened in season 2 since Aemond is being stationed as the big bad and is legit the only thing that stands between Team Black and total victory.

Finally, I'm not sure how I feel about Seasmoke practically forcing somebody to be a rider, but at least we get Corlys to bond with his sons now since that's pretty much all he has left these days. 

It's kinda crazy that Alicent is one of the two main characters on the show and she has nothing to do. The only people on the show that might like her at the moment is Aegon and Helena. Her asking about Daeron doesnt endear her to me

Edited by Oscirus
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Consider this: This is the first time Rhaenyra has ever been affirmed as Viserys' heir. Folks are either talking at her or around her; nobody seemed to just sit with her and say to her, "You'd make a splendid Queen." The hug was cool, but putting her tongue down Mysaria's throat seemed a bit... desperate, perhaps? I'm all for Girl Power, but I don't think that Rhaenyra should poop where she eats.  Mysaria's idea was a roaring success in King's Landing. She should just be Rhaenyra's strategist only.

I agree. Never ever mix love or lust with dealing with statecraft, if you want to think clearly and make decisions soberly.

Mysaria might have spoken what she throught, but it could also be flattery.  At least speaking about being *equal* with the Queen was complete nonsense. (It's not possible even in democracy.)    

3 hours ago, MJ Frog said:

I know this is supposed to be a part of the narrative that The Man is holding her back, but I found myself irritated with Rhaenyra complaining that her own son doesn't believe in her simply because he made the common sense point that they need Daemon. You can't complain about lack of resources and dragons on the one hand while refusing to admit that Daemon -- who has the only other dragon who is big enough to fight -- is a valuable, even needed, asset. He believes in you, you goof. He's just trying to give good advice.

It's not an advice, not to speak of a good one, to say something self-evident. 

They have had no communication with Daemon, nor did they know if he is on Rhaenyra's side or against her. So a good advice would be to present a plan B how to continue without him or even against him if necessary.

2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Did Otto send Daeron away the second he was born? How does Alicent know nothing about him?

It makes sense if Otto's plan was to hide from everyone that Alicent has born a third son in order to keep him in sererve if anything happens to Aegon and Aemond.  

1 hour ago, DigitalCount said:

Again, dumb question. Are we meant to believe that Alys killed Grover on Daemon's behalf, so that he could treat with the heir unhindered? That's the impression I got but I also don't know if we're supposed to see her as being willing to do something like that.

I think that as a healer Alys simply knew that Grower would die.

It seems that Alys hasn't caused Daemon's hallycinations, but they are caused by "old powers" (modern interpretation: they rise from his own mind). In the last one Daemond seems to have learned his wrong actions and decisions - he behaved like he should have after Viserys grieved his wife and son. 

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, Oscirus said:

I'll be in the minority, but Aemond's doing a helluva job as prince regent so far. He's addressed the blockade; he's targeting Damon on two fronts, setting up a Damon vs Aemond matchup in the near future (Probs not a good idea since it'll leave Kings landing wide open, but that's his only mistake so far). He's also bought back a competent hand while getting rid of/ limiting the power of the snakes on the council. Sure, he's evil as fuck, but still quite competent.

Larys not liking Aemond doesn't really do anything to him unless Aegon has a wolverine-type healing factor and a guaranteed rider to take Aemond's place. At best, Larys is ingratiating himself with Aegon if he ever recovers. 

You make good points. However, Aemond thinks only short-time tactics, not long-term strategy.

And he is arrongant, too self-confident and ruled by his hate. It's unwise for a ruler not to listen to advice but believe that he can make good decisions all alone, not to speak of dividing your own supporters and making a new enemy who can strike on your back. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
9 minutes ago, Roseanna said:

You make good points. However, Aemond thinks only short-time tactics, not long-term strategy.

And he is arrongant, too self-confident and ruled by his hate. It's unwise for a ruler not to listen to advice but believe that he can make good decisions all alone, not to speak of dividing your own supporters and making a new enemy who can strike on your back. 

True, which is why I think making Otto his hand over a yes man like Larys was so crucial. We shall see if Otto can smooth out the bad parts of his leadership style.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The indignities of his youth?  You mean the years he was bullied by his brother and you let it happen, bitch?  

Yes, Alient failed as a mother, but at least she tried, although she had a sick husband to tend and later became a member of the Council.

Boys were raised by men when they became seven years old and began to learn to become warrior. Cole gave the boys a bad exmaple and Viserys saw it happen but didn't do anything.   

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Daemon used to be a fun character, but I find myself rolling my eyes every time he's on screen now. Hopefully this Harrenhal drama will stop now.

Loved Seasmoke claiming his own rider, although there was no need to do the dirty on ser Steffyn like that, poor guy. If Rhaenyra doesn't kill Addam on sight, the Blacks will have a new dragon. On the other hand, I wonder why the Blacks can't make the dragons fight riderless, like Dany did. Remember? She rode Drogon, but Rhaego and Viserion obeyed her orders too. 

Poor Haelena, she doesn't deserve to find herself in the middle of things like riots and stuff. I'm glad she survived, though, because there was a moment that I thought she was going to die impalled by a spike in her back. 

I still don't care about the feet-lover and his sad story. Tyrion had it worse and he didn't become a cold, selfish monster.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I just realized Corlys’s business is about to get put out there on these streets lol.  They’re assuming that Adam is a regular degular dude who just claimed a dragon. Hence Jacerys’s comment in the preview about what’s the big deal about being the blood of the dragon 🐉 if any regular man can claim . Ole Corlys gonna be like …stephen colbert laughing GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Like 1
  • LOL 14
20 minutes ago, bluvelvet said:

I just realized Corlys’s business is about to get put out there on these streets lol.  They’re assuming that Adam is a regular degular dude who just claimed a dragon. Hence Jacerys’s comment in the preview about what’s the big deal about being the blood of the dragon 🐉 if any regular man can claim . Ole Corlys gonna be like …stephen colbert laughing GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Don't you sorta wish there was at least a few more dark skinned folks running around on Driftmark? Like basically EVERYBODY already knows, right? Addum basically asking Alllyn (no idea if that's how you spell them) "Why are you even shaving your head, man, you think it's the hair that gives you away?" :)

• Like 3
  • LOL 10

Ser Steffyn: I've done it!

Seasmoke: No hablo ingles

8 hours ago, Is Everyone Gone said:

They need Daemon away from the main action but because it's Matt Smith, they're not comfortable with keeping him offscreen like Otto (or Corlys in S1). 

6 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Hats off to Aemond for leading Larys to thinking he’d be Hand only to pull the rug out and request Otto’s return. Nicely played.

Yes, because it's a great idea to insult one of your own advisers?  If Aemond is disgusted by him then exile him at once, don't just treat him like crap.

• Like 10
  • LOL 2
11 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

They need Daemon away from the main action

Damon being away gaves Rhaenyra a possibility to find her own strength and be acknowledged as a leader by others.

BTV, Rhaenyra is much blamed (also by me) not being ready to ascend the throne but she has been pregnant three times in a few years, it's Daemon who should be blamed more. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Oscirus said:

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say helluva job. He's doing what he can with what he has.

But:

1. The people of King's Landing are still starving and he has no immediate solution for the whisper campaign that the Greens are responsible or for Rhae's propaganda mission that Team Black has their back.

2. His proposed solution is to use the Stepstone pirates to try to block the brigade, which seems objectively a bad idea for the reasons his advisers spelled out. It's unclear why Vhaegar hasn't burninated the blockade except for plot reasons.

3. He is contemplating an alliance with the Greyjoys by marrying off his own mother to them, which a) would be terrible for his mother but more importantly b) seems like it is not going to be a good strategic move since their words are "We do not sow" and they are presumably at this time a group of traitorous bastards who do what they want just like in GOT.

4. While he sniffed out Larys for who he is, he went out of his way to humiliate him, making an enemy of him unnecessarily, and now Larys is going to worm his way into supporting Aegon and undermining Aemond wherever he can. I would not sleep on Larys' ability to screw things up for Aemond. 

5. Speaking of, while he may enjoy bullying Aegon, Aemond hasn't finished the job of killing him so he can become king undisputed rather than regent. Aemond can be Viserys II Electric Bugaloo and barely be coherent, drinking milk of the poppy like it's water. He's still king. And Larys has already struck up the "we disabled bros got to stick together" conversation.

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, peridot said:

Eh, Aegon's reaping what he sowed for years.  Personally, I love seeing him suffer.

Is the Triarchy plan really such a bad one?  It's not like there are actual Green ships nearby.  Maybe it's a terrible idea but at least something is happening.  And Tyland looked terrified in that scene.  Like "He's behind me, isn't he?" terrified.

8 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I will admit that Rhaenyra looked a bit silly with the sword. I guess she is trying to become more like Visenya.

Westeros had best hope she doesn't become like Visenya.  That did not end well.

6 hours ago, DigitalCount said:

Are we meant to believe that Alys killed Grover on Daemon's behalf, so that he could treat with the heir unhindered? That's the impression I got but I also don't know if we're supposed to see her as being willing to do something like that.

I think we're supposed to wonder.

6 hours ago, DigitalCount said:

Dogwatch 2024 continues, lol. I now believe that the dog will survive, because it would be too cruel to keep showing him and then kill him off. Did we get a name for the dog?

It didn't look like the same dog to me, but I only watched the episode once last night.  I'll have to look closer upon tonight's rewatch.

4 hours ago, Oscirus said:

It's kinda crazy that Alicent is one of the two main characters on the show and she has nothing to do. The only people on the show that might like her at the moment is Aegon and Helena. Her asking about Daeron doesnt endear her to me

Honestly I think the show is wrong to keep the focus on her and Rhaenyra as the main opponents here.  It should've switched more of the Green focus to Aegon and Aemond this season since Alicent is becoming more and more irrelevant.

I think it's telling that the one son she didn't have a hand in raising is the one who might be a decent person.

7 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Did Otto send Daeron away the second he was born? How does Alicent know nothing about him? Her mothering gets worse every episode.

Children were often sent away to ward very young, so in all likelihood Alicent probably hasn't seen Daeron for 10 years, except possibly for the rare brief visit to Oldtown.

4 hours ago, Oscirus said:

True, which is why I think making Otto his hand over a yes man like Larys was so crucial. We shall see if Otto can smooth out the bad parts of his leadership style.

Somehow I doubt Otto will have much time to do that.  And honestly, I can't see Aemond actually listening to him either.  I love the boy, but while he has some decent short-term ideas, his arrogance is going to fuck this up bad.

2 hours ago, Roseanna said:

Yes, Alient failed as a mother, but at least she tried, although she had a sick husband to tend and later became a member of the Council.

Boys were raised by men when they became seven years old and began to learn to become warrior. Cole gave the boys a bad exmaple and Viserys saw it happen but didn't do anything.   

Alicent didn't do a damned thing about Aegon bullying Aemond.  In fact, we saw her tell Aegon just not to do it in front of outsiders.  She wasn't taking care of her sick husband so much at that point.  She failed Aemond more than anyone else did, so she gets no sympathy points from me.

2 hours ago, Helena Dax said:

Daemon used to be a fun character, but I find myself rolling my eyes every time he's on screen now.

I always had this reaction to Daemon.  I hated him from his very first scene.

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia --> Daemon, Daemon, Daemon

Even Criston knows that you stay hidden by trees, not run into a clearing when chased by a dragon FFS!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, bluvelvet said:

Seasmoke completely played poor Ser Darklyn.  He was like sure come on over — then “naah”. BBQ knight. 

Seasmoke has his own agenda it seems?

Like they're going to try to hook me up with fake Targs so I better find me one.

So Addam and Allyn both know that Corlys is their father but Corlys isn't or at least hasn't explicitly owned up to it?

Corlys is trying to make it up to Allyn at least and Addam wants them to benefit from Corlys feeling guilty to give them a lavish lifestyle?

Now if they're blockading Kings Landing, what else are they keeping out besides food?  Weapons or money?  Because if they're going to send food through kind of goes against the point of the blockade but why would the "small folk" rebel against Team Green now that they've been fed, even it was from Team Black?

In any event, Hugh just mugs some poor peasant and maybe isn't quite ready to auction his smithing skills to the highest bidder yet.

That Lannister lion is going to be an appetizer for one of the dragons.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, aghst said:

In any event, Hugh just mugs some poor peasant

Hugh: Give me that!

Peasant: Drag your dumb ass to the beach and get your own

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
6 minutes ago, aghst said:

Now if they're blockading Kings Landing, what else are they keeping out besides food?  e dragons.

I have some questions about this. Presumably they're blockading at sea, which is to the east of KL...why can't they get food in from the Reach, over land? Rhaenyra has no ground army at all. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Alicent didn't do a damned thing about Aegon bullying Aemond.  In fact, we saw her tell Aegon just not to do it in front of outsiders.  

Even that was more than Viserys ever did. Boys were too old to obey their mother, especially as she couldn't say "or I tell you father".  

BTV, although Rhaenyra's sons held together, they weren't blameless but bullied Aemond. 

(edited)
4 hours ago, aghst said:

That Lannister lion is going to be an appetizer for one of the dragons.

Vermithor: What the fuck is that?

Seasmoke: I heard somebody call it a lion

Vermithor: Tastes like chicken

eta: have been imagining a few accents...

Dragons could be:

• Ben Affleck & Jeremy Renner in The Town
  • Paulie & Christopher in The Sopranos
  • Anybody in Peaky Blinders
Edited by paigow
  • LOL 14
13 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Is the Triarchy plan really such a bad one?  It's not like there are actual Green ships nearby.  Maybe it's a terrible idea but at least something is happening. 

And damn the consequences?

Aemond is a person who does something because he can or want to do, be it wise or not, like he followed Jace and lost control of his dragon. 

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, aghst said:

Now if they're blockading Kings Landing, what else are they keeping out besides food?  Weapons or money?  Because if they're going to send food through kind of goes against the point of the blockade but why would the "small folk" rebel against Team Green now that they've been fed, even it was from Team Black?

Why wouldn't they?  What has Team Green done to earn any loyalty?  They inexplicably glossed over killing the dragon that murdered thousands of people in the Dragonpit, which is the one big action they could have sold as looking our for the commoners.  Team Green hangs innocent people, locks everyone inside the city, and (supposedly) dines on fancy food while everyone outside starves.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

Why wouldn't they?  What has Team Green done to earn any loyalty?  They inexplicably glossed over killing the dragon that murdered thousands of people in the Dragonpit, which is the one big action they could have sold as looking our for the commoners.  Team Green hangs innocent people, locks everyone inside the city, and (supposedly) dines on fancy food while everyone outside starves.

And the smallfolk see that even the dragons get food while they starve. 

1 hour ago, aghst said:

The smallfolk will starve again. This isn’t enough food to last forever.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Roseanna said:

Even that was more than Viserys ever did. Boys were too old to obey their mother, especially as she couldn't say "or I tell you father".  

BTV, although Rhaenyra's sons held together, they weren't blameless but bullied Aemond. 

I'm a little confused by this. Viserys was extremely ill and was not very present for the boys. But IMO Alicent can't use "but Viserys" as a get out of jail for free card. She is a thoroughly shitty mother and that continues to the present day.

The boys would have listened to their mother IMO if she hadn't spent all her time obsessing about how they were invincible because they (unlike Rhaenyra's brood) had the Targaryen look with the white blond hair. She raised them to be soulless, entitled brats and that's what they are.

Heleana is much more likable because Alicent didn't butter her up so much with a false sense of entitlement.

Edited by Is Everyone Gone
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2