Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Turn

Yup. I have this sickening feeling, a terrible revelation which just dawned on me recently, that we all lose precious grey matter while watching Under the Dumb & Dumber, and this, our vital brain waves, IQ, call it what you will, is the stuff which then sustains the Dome --I believe the writers may also be enthralled to the horror of its non-Euclidean geometry. This may very well be the beginning of The End.

Was compelled to edit "dome" to "Dome". Hmmmm.

Edited by JBody
  • Love 3

Well, that happened.

At least Crazy Murdering Big Jim is back.

And Lyle and Mrs. Big Jim are gone.  So, yeah.

Next week is the Sleepy Hollow season premiere!  Yay!  I mean, next week is the Under the Dome season finale.  I can hardly contain myself ._. 

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 1

I like how Julia doesn't even have a limp after having her leg impaled last episode, merely minutes ago in showtime.  Barely even a twinge of pain.

Did she even change her jeans ? Do her pants still have a big hole in them ?

And the Dome is making funky noises. It's talking to them, why will no one listen ?

Skaterboy Ben is back.  And he is a regular Debbie Downer.

Finally, Rebecca is back to studying Rebecca's blood.  She's got an auto-immune problem -- I bet it's lupus !!  Only it's never lupus.
But Rebecca and the lima beans to the rescue for blood typing (and they really figured out Rebecca was the right blood type damn quickly -- did the even open the can of lima beans ?).

Lyle understands Pauline's art -- seriously ??  It's little more than fingerpaints.

The 8 hands - taking the 4 hands up a notch.  Have they completely forgotten about the monarch at this point ?

They need 8 hands, but they only have 7 people -- quick, Drownsie needs to touch herself.  Cue Divinyls music.

That vortex CGI was so shitty.  I mean really, really, really shitty.

And Lyle stabs Pauline to death because he was meant to be with her.  And Jim murders yet another person -- goodbye Lyle.  Your makeup looked shitty in your death scene.

How come everyone but Jim is still standing around the hole in the ground ?  Two murders just occurred mere yards away from you, and no one even says what happened to Big Jim, Lyle and Pauline ?  No one ??

Was this episode title 'Turn' simply because they bought the rights to the song ?

Big Jim ends the episode shouting up at the Dome gods -- Why ??? How do I appease you Dome gods ?  Do I need to kill Sam now too ??

Why did Barbie's dad's security teams turn on him after he picked up the egg ?  Who do they REALLY report to ?

• Love 5

Yes it can get any stupider. From the instant blood typing to getting quantum physics completely wrong, it is one big pile of idiocy.

And don't get me started on how the physics of the the Dome shrinking is so off. Not enough material for the distance it contracted, to the fact that if it is shrinking, the ground should be lower from it settling down as it shrinks.

Good to see Jim still has immunity for anything he does.

• Love 2

What the....?  How stupider can this show get?!

First off, of all the things to bring back, I certainly didn't want the return of Julia and Rebecca's "science vs. faith" battle.  The whole thing is just so stupid.  Stupid!  It makes both of them come off like idiots!  IMO, it is obvious that both can play a part of this.  Some stuff has been saved by scientific technobabble, but there is clearly some religious bullshit going on with the Dome too.  Why can't these two figure this shit out?!  It's both!  Christ, almighty...

So, yeah.  Basically, Pauline got another vision to "save" Melanie, by using all of the seven hands to save her.  But, whoops!  All it did was suck her into a magical vortex.  Maybe she's in Hell!  It can't be much worse then Chester's Mill!  I want to believe that the Dome was just fucking with all of them.  I wonder if she's gone for good, or if she'll magically return.  I'm hoping the former, because I want to actress to find something else.  It's hard to tell, but I think she might be capable enough, but she needs to find a much better show to get a sense of that.

But, no, that wasn't it.  Just when I thought it couldn't get even sillier, Jim/Pauline finally make-up, only for Lyle to stab Pauline in the back.  Because he's crazy and believe they are meant to be together in Heaven.  And, of course, Jim grants him that wish.  I won't miss either of those characters, but that's not enough to make up for all that crap these past few episodes.

Don is convinced to bring the egg back, only for the soldiers to turn on him.  It sounded like someone else might be running the show, above him.  I can't wait!  I'm sure he or her will be played by someone who is way too talented for this dreck.

Sam's "I know what death looks like!" retort to Rebecca.  Sure you do.  Hell, you fucking killed a person yourself.  That, no one, including the victim's own brother, really seems to give a shit over, anymore.  Sam and Big Jim have at least one thing in common. People seem to give no fucks over their psychopathic acts.

Stoner Ben comes out of wherever he, Joe's dog, and Aisha Hinds are hiding, and basically is like "We're so fucked!"  And, that might have been my favorite part of the episode!

Another scene of Julia "talking" to the Dome.  As someone who actually likes Rachel Leferve, this is never not cringe-worthy to watch.

"Next week, the Under the Dome season finale is finally here!"  I swear, the announcer guy sounded thrilled to say that.  I think he's tired of this shit, too.  And it looks like it's going to be a doosy!  Big Jim is pissy and going to scorch the Earth!  And, I'm sure he'll be forgiven, because that's how this show roles.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

Next week is the Sleepy Hollow season premiere!  Yay!  I mean, next week is the Under the Dome season finale.

Let's see.........

All new episode of "The Blacklist"

All new show "Forever"

All new episode of "Dallas" on TNT.

How bad is your show that the final episode ever still ranks 5th or 6th on my watching priority?

I just hope that we have closure - I'm still upset over the final episode of "Revolution"......... and "FlashForward" ............ and "The Event" ............ and .................

• Love 2

My favorite part, and I'm paraphrasing because there's no freaking way I'm going to rewatch to get the exact dialogue:

Junior: *looks doomed and hopeless*

Junior's mom: "Oh my God Junior what's wrong?"

Junior: *face contorts with sadness* "It's Drownsy ..."

Junior's mom: "Is she BETTER?"

It's like the writers have never met human beings before. 

• Love 5

BEST EPISODE EVER! Julia talking to the dome (again) and offering herself as a sacrifice was the highlight of the entire season:

JULIA: You chose Me to be the Monarch! *makes her best martyr face, tears and all* Let Me die, so that the others can live!
DOME (and me): lol okay! *starts contracting again*
JULIA: Not today, Dome! Not today! *runs away*

I loved that bandage over Julia’s jeans. I hope it works and her pants heal soon. Nobody wants to see a fashion crime. I don’t know about Julia’s wound though.

• Love 16

I loved when Julia was pleading with The Dome (just writing that first part makes me laugh) to send her a sign and The Dome moves in a few more inches. Basically just a big "fuck you" from Dome to Julia.

I hate to disappoint anyone, but previews for next week show that Pauline isn't quite dead yet. She's feeling better. She feels happy, so happy!

When they were walking into the high school (which is apparently the only set that hasn't yet been torn down and sold for scrap), why did Joe feel the need to explain to Fivehead and hacker kid what Pauline's plan was when the three of them have been together all episode?

It must have made Barbie feel like crap when Dad Barbie was willing to return the egg to save Drownsy, but didn't give two shits if his son was crushed to death by The Dome. And why is everyone so obsessed with saving Drownsy all of a sudden? Nobody seemed to care when Hardware Store Guy got squashed in his car.

Should we wonder where Lyle got that nifty three piece suit, or just be grateful that he didn't decide on a purple velvet tuxedo, puffy shirt included, circa 1970's prom style?

When Big Jim took Pauline's hand and a brush, and was trying to encourage her to paint, did anyone else get a nauseous Ghost Pottery Wheel feeling in their stomach? And how did her paints stay wet after all these years?

If Dad Barbie isn't the boss man, then who can it be? It would have to be someone we've seen before, because the show's budget couldn't handle another role. My money is on Stoner Ben.

As the season draws to its merciful conclusion, it's funny to think back and realize that nothing has really happened this year. They still don't know why or who or how to get out, or what Dad Barbie is all about, or wtf is up with Lazarus Drownsy, or where is Fivehead's other mother. It's like the writers are just biding their time until the show gets cancelled or they get replaced by more talented people.

• Love 9

As always, the commentary here is a billion times the superior of whatever ridiculousness the show drops in our lap. SIGH. I actually watched this whole thing. It's like one of those 3D prints from the '90s where one had to hold it & squint at it a certain way --I just don't get it. I don't see whales frolicking in the ocean. It's just a bunch of squiggly blue & green lines.

• Love 4

The entire script is composed of platitudes & clichés to an extent rarely seen on network television. I too was relieved to see Julia's pants healing rapidly. Soliloquy to Dome with smug Prius in the background was as cringe worthy as possible. Lima beans: thank unnamed deity (Dome?!?) for hoarders, eh? Yes, total squick with Mr & Mrs Big Jim painting --had to avert my eyeballs there. Lyle, we hardly knew ye. Save a spot for Big Jim in Hell.

• Love 3

The title of this episode:  "Turn" :

Should have been used an episode or so ago when the Dome was rotating.

Not to mention:  Somewhere, Bob Dylan is puking in the nearest toilet.

PLEASE Let there not be a third season.  Oh wait.  Somehow this dreck has sucked me in like Drownsie through the vortex.  Please, Big Jim, come and kill me before I have to suffer any more of this tripe.

I don't know if I can sit through another hour of watching this stupidity and yelling at the TV screen.

Ben's sudden re-appearance (and with speaking lines) was strange.  It's like, yes, there's another minority still living under the Dome.

Even the Dome rejected Julia as a sacrifice.  Speaking of Julia...  Did Julia ever love her husband?  It sure didn't seem like it.  When she was packing stuff and looked at the picture of her husband, and Barbie says "you can take that" (gee, generous of you, Barbie, considering you killed her husband), Julia decides to leave the picture behind and dismisses her dead husband by saying "that's my past life".

Rebecca sees a big (fake looking) strand of Melanie's hair is coming out of her head and, yet, when we see Melanie recovered, her hair all looks fine - no bald spots.

Isn't it strange that no one mentioned that Sam was the one responsible for Angie not being there when they were assembling all 7 hands on deck to save Melanie.  It's like the show forgot he's a cold-blooded axe murderer.  And ick, on Sam reaching out his hand to help Rebecca up from the stairs.  He's a murderer, Rebecca!  Is Sam the only doctor in town?  Wasn't he hiding out in the woods when the show started?  Where's the regular town doctor?

Pauline's visions are one of the most contrived plot devices I've ever seen.  Whenever the characters need to know or do something, there's a convenient vision to show them the way (for example, the red door portal).  Even when it's inconsistent with the show's own "logic" (can I say that without laughing?).  The egg leaves the Dome and Pauline's visions stop.  Oh wait, they need one more vision to do the whole hands-on Melanie thing, so Pauline has one more vision even though the egg is still outside the Dome.

The song "Turn" playing at the end made no sense to me.  Does the Dome have to go through all four seasons?  Oh, I know why the people didn't wear heavy overcoats when it was so cold and why the "winter" lasted so short.  We have to be able to see the actors' fit bodies - biceps on the tee-shirt wearing men and the figures on the women.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
Nobody seemed to care when Hardware Store Guy got squashed in his car.

They should have at least been like, "How the hell did that happen? The dome's only pushed up about two feet of dirt!" Was he driving a Hot Wheels?

Jim was so proud that he'd saved Lyle. "I did it for you!" he tells Pauline. Uh, you should want to save people just because it's the right thing to do, generally speaking.

And why did they even bother with lima beans? Couldn't they just have hollered for someone with Type O-neg blood?

Edited by Tippi Blevins
  • Love 2

Wow. Not sure if I can make it though one more episode of this dreck. No one is even trying anymore, writers, actors, even set designers and special effects are dialing it in.

Why did Barbie Sr. and his minion have to stand on a ramp over the 5 ft. chasm in order to communicate via a computer screen and paper? Could you really not see that far?

Why would anyone wear a bandage over their clothes?

Big Jim is a murdering psychopath and no one notices? From 10 feet away?

The dome advances on Julia when she offers to sacrifice herself. I could almost hear it saying "Double dog Dare ya to stand right there...bwhawhahaha"

The dome "tricks?" Pauline into dragging poor sick Drownsie to the place of her original death and lay hands on her, then sucks her into the ground. That was very mean. I can't really feel sorry for Jr, since he is a psychopath just like his father.

This show makes me laugh. Norrie, talking about the time Joe almost shot someone in the face? Comedy gold!

I love how one of the defining characteristics of the bad guys (in addition to their black uniforms) is the fact that they are deprived of the use of wonderful Microsoft Surface and Prius products.

At this point, I think the writers were just sitting around, smoking peyote, talking about painting and quantum physics and. . . stuff. Then they realized they were up against the deadline and just mashed everything into the script.

• Love 2
So, yeah.  Basically, Pauline got another vision to "save" Melanie, by using all of the seven hands to save her.  But, whoops!  All it did was suck her into a magical vortex.  Maybe she's in Hell!  It can't be much worse then Chester's Mill!

I'm expecting to see Melanie show up in that playground. 

What was Melanie's purpose anyway?  Why was she brought back and then taken away?  I guess the Dome doesn't need her hands anymore?

Should we wonder where Lyle got that nifty three piece suit, or just be grateful that he didn't decide on a purple velvet tuxedo, puffy shirt included, circa 1970's prom style?

When they showed Lyle tapping his feet in the hallway, I was expecting him to break out into a dance.  I'm very disappointed that he did not.

• Love 1

May the deity of your choosing bless you, Tara, for your sticking with these recaps all season. I love reading them. I gave up on watching them last year, when the kitchen design truck, while speeding through town on a Kitchen! Decorating! Emergency! crashed into the Dome.

• Love 2

Oh, and I had complete forgotten that Julia practically through her husband's photo into the garbage when she was getting her stuff together.

Though, admittedly, I'd throw out my shit, too, for Dreamy Hunk-o Man Barbie (new from Mattel).

Also, "Not the abs of a nerd" was priceless :D

Edited by bmoore4026

I love how one of the defining characteristics of the bad guys (in addition to their black uniforms) is the fact that they are deprived of the use of wonderful Microsoft Surface and Prius products..

Is this what passes for symbolism in UtD scripts?
  • Love 1

The bandage over the tight jeans (over an injury which involved an actual impaled leg and hypothermia less than a day earlier) was just great, next level crazy. I guess the costume department insisted Rachelle Lefevre had to wear tight jeans.

How the heck did the dome contracting a few feet at the slow pace we saw crush someone's car and kill them?

I'm still waiting for Phil to show up with a bandage over his chest.

I don't think Dwight Yoakam was acting when he thanked Big Jim for killing him.

So the main male leads in this show are a mass murderer, a kidnapper/murderer, an ax murderer, and a collector for a bookie. I guess we could add a hacker and an idiot to the list. 

Another beautiful Pauline Rennie painting !

• Love 7

My dream for the finale:

The dome contracts on everyone pushing them all together and killing them painfully. Then as it contracts, the picture on your TV contracts until the whole show is just one tiny pixel in the center of your screen that just winks away into nothingness. The End.

• Love 3

I long ago gave up any pretext that this is any quality take on people trapped under a dome.  I look at it as TV's version of the movie, Airplane.

The writing is juvenile, the acting laughable, the characters ridiculous in almost everything they do.  It's a parody and I watch it that way and enjoy it.

So, my take on this week's fun and frivolity in dome, sweet dome....

There is a lot of exposition done by characters that doesn't need to be....in the opening...

Joe: The dome is starting and stopping.  

We know, we can see it.

Rebecca: The dome is evolving.

What?

Joe: Why is it moving again?

A lot of questions are also asked with no apparent answer, so why ask them?

Barbie: I'm helping people out of their homes.

Which is basically waving them out and saying go that way.  Of course, no one could do this without Barbie's help.

And lima beans can be used to type blood?  Is this right in there with the windmill?  Did you notice they got almost 10 cans of lima beans?  Are they planning on typing the whole town? How many beans does it take to type blood?

Rebecca:  Maybe Melanie faked her own death.

Because she looks over 40?!??!?

Joe, with more exposition commenting on the dome..."Look, it's stopping."

The problem is that it didn't stop until he said something. 

Later, there were comments the dome was moving faster...  Rebecca was frantically calculating how soon they would all be dome mush, but it looked the dome had only moved 10 feet even at the end.

This show is really funny, what hijinks will our domeites get into next week....Will Jim kill someone? Will Junior threaten to kill someone? Will Joe continue telling us everything we can see?  Will the Mill people have heart to heart talks with the dome?  Will Rebecca come up with another out of this world solution to some outrageous situation?  Will the domers miraculously heal from previous injuries? Well, of course, this is Hunter's Mill and reality doesn't exist here.

Next Week...the finale...

Don't miss it, same dome time, same dome channel!!!

• Love 8

I gave up on this show after the first season but I check in here now and then out of curiosity.  I have a question, though.  Is lima beans a name you've given one of the characters or are they really typing blood with actual lima beans?

I think I've figured out why the writing is so crappy.  Has to be nepotism.  Has to be.  They've hired Stephen King's nieces and nephews as the writers just because they're related to Stephen King.  There can be no other explanation.

• Love 2

I hate to disappoint anyone, but previews for next week show that Pauline isn't quite dead yet. She's feeling better. She feels happy, so happy!

Damn you, Lyle! You had one job!

I think I've figured out why the writing is so crappy. Has to be nepotism. Has to be. They've hired Stephen King's nieces and nephews as the writers just because they're related to Stephen King. There can be no other explanation.

My theory is that they're trolling us. There is no way this insanity is not on purpose.
  • Love 2
I think I've figured out why the writing is so crappy. Has to be nepotism. Has to be. They've hired Stephen King's nieces and nephews as the writers just because they're related to Stephen King. There can be no other explanation.

It's not like King himself has written anything that good in 20 years or so....

• Love 1

What I'd like to see is the troubles of Haven making it into the Dome. That way we won't just have boring old knife and axe murders, we will have crazy over the top "troubled" murders!

Then Rebecca will come up with cream corn to solve the "troubles".

• Love 4

I look forward to the show, because I know there will be an awesome recap to enjoy the next day. But this show has become so epic-ly DUMB, I don't even know if the promise of a recap can save the season finale. 

I'm beginning to think I will miss the insanity of the dialogue/plotting/characterization, the gestalt that is UtD, and particularly the reviews and commentary.

Tor's Grady came through again: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/09/under-the-dome-recap-turn

"We’ve got one episode left, and all the lima beans, hoses, and windmills in the world can’t bring back the parts of our souls that have curdled and died this season."

Edited by Cyranetta
  • Love 2
DrLar, on 17 Sept 2014 - 4:05 PM, said:

Anyone jumping into the Melanie!Hole?

To paraphrase Baby Plucky from a much more superior Steven Spielberg executively produced show:  Melanie go down the hooooole!

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 1