Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E10: Burn It Down

• Start Topic

Wildfires threaten the Seattle region, leading to a flood of patients and emergency procedures; the doctors juggle overcapacity in the ER, complex surgeries and personal stress; Meredith makes a rash decision that can't be undone.

Season finale.

• Like 2

The promise of root beer floats with Pru and the "I love you, Miranda Bailey" sounded ominous even though Ben was registered safe on McNephew's database. Don't you dare kill Ben on Station 19, Grey's.

• Like 7

This wasn’t a terrible season but it was definitely lacking. Ten episodes simply doesn’t work for the show. With such a large cast and so many interconnected stories the more episodes the better, although 20+ is a lot. Maybe 16-18? Idk but this show works best for me when they get room to tell stories but also trim the excess sentimentality. 

And it was a middling finale but not the worst. Felt like things only picked up in the last 20 minutes and just as I was getting into it, it ended. Still don’t care about Jo/Link & their possible offspring. If it was up to me those two would be on their way out and Yasuda would stay. She’s fun and likeable and next to her, the other interns are fine but pretty forgettable. I kept zoning out of their scenes and wondering about Ben. I don’t see them killing him off on Station 19 (that would be a very cheap series finale) but they killed off Deluca—who was arguably less relevant—on there without a thought so who knows. I would really hate that for Bailey though. Their relationship is so healthy and sweet, I’ve always assumed they’d make it to the end of the series together. 

• Like 8
(edited)

According to Station 19 by way of Twitter, Ben's going back to the hospital. 

To the surprise of no one! They've truly made a mockery of that character. He went from anesthesiologist to surgical doctor to fire fighter back to surgical doctor. 

I still think Link and Amelia were the best together, had zero reason to break up when they did, and it's why I can't really get behind whatever new pairing they force upon them. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 11
  • Applause 1
(edited)

So to make clear, Meredith resigned, Amelia was fired(?), Owen was fired, Teddy remains fired, the residents (including a huge group I don't know that we have ever seen before) and Bailey have threatened to quit if Adams has to repeat his intern year (somewhere the ghost of George O'Malley is shaking his fist angrily) and Richard maybe has Alzheimer's?  

1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

According to Station 19 by way of Twitter, Ben's going back to the hospital. 

He would have to start his surgical residency over, right?  He can't just come back 7 or 8 years later like no time has passed. 

Lucas is a fucking Mary Sue!

Seriously!  Given that his attitude towards others generally is a mixture of arrogance and hostility, I have no idea why all these people feel so loyal to him. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Like 10
(edited)

I love Miranda  Bailey,  she's the OG and the best one there.

I was a bit bored, and I wasn't  sure if this was the finale or not.

Catherine  Fox, has never seemed  so cold.

Edited by dancingdreamer
  • Like 8

Meredith may have left the show last year, but it felt like we saw even more of her this season than last.  

So how is Catherine going to run a hospital without doctors?   Then again, from an ethics perspective, Teddie and Amelia deserved it   I guess Owen was fired because he let Teddie operate.  She couldn’t fire Mer because she didn’t actually work for her, but I wonder if she can sue?   The optics, however, would be terrible. 

• Like 2

From the beginning of the season I wondered if they'll go with Chief having Alzheimer's.

This will possibly be the reason why Catherine changes her mind about Meredith's research

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

I haven't watched for awhile but isn't Meredith still part owner of the hospital? Or did the merge with that hospital Alex and Richard worked at change the dynamics? Like I get the Fox money does the research funding or whatever but does Catherine own the entire hospital now?

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Lilac2000 said:

I haven't watched for awhile but isn't Meredith still part owner of the hospital? Or did the merge with that hospital Alex and Richard worked at change the dynamics? Like I get the Fox money does the research funding or whatever but does Catherine own the entire hospital now?

Meredith is. But the Harper Avery Foundation/Fox Foundation is the majority shareholder and owns more of the hospital than all the other shareholders combined. The really odd thing is that Catherine's relationship with Jackson's father was so brief and she's the one running their foundation instead of Jackson or some elder Avery. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I may be alone in this, but the mere mention of Tom Koracick made me smile.  I reacted similarly to the thought of Teddy and Owen being gone.

• Like 6
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, tessabq said:

I may be alone in this, but the mere mention of Tom Koracick made me smile.  I reacted similarly to the thought of Teddy and Owen being gone.

I loved Koracick, I felt the same as you. I really hoped he was returning.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

So Mer and Amelia use Fox money to fund their research but then act pissy when Catherine says it belongs to Fox? Meredith might be the most obnoxious entitled character on tv right now. Everything else, meh.

• Like 4

On the other hand, Catherine threatens to fire lots of doctors. 

Wasn't the hospital in problems because no new and good interns wanted to come and work there?

What she thinks, this would help hospital's reputation?

And what's up with her cancer? Wasn't there a plot it's returning, but now she has no sign of any disease.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Snow Fairy said:

Wasn't the hospital in problems because no new and good interns wanted to come and work there?

Absolutely. The hospital was in enough trouble that Miranda sent her talented intern back to Minnesota so his reputation wouldn't be tarnished by being at Grey Sloan. The residents in Schmitt and Helm's class went elsewhere, too. Every talented and (supposedly) capable resident at Grey Sloan has a backstory for what prevented them from being someplace better. 

This is a hospital with a head of trauma that had a suspended medical license less than a year ago. Dr. Monica Beltran aside, the residents and attendings open to accepting a position at Grey Sloan tomorrow might be worse than the ones Catherine fired or let quit.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

On the other hand, Catherine threatens to fire lots of doctors. 

What she thinks, this would help hospital's reputation?

And what's up with her cancer? Wasn't there a plot it's returning, but now she has no sign of any disease.

I actually thought when she said to talk to Koracik about the research, she was going to say she was stepping down because the cancer was back and she was resigning. I, of course, was incorrect.

And I really don't know what she's gaining by firing all those doctors. It seems more about her wanting to maintain authority than having quality doctors and groundbreaking research. Like, she will be the queen, with no kingdom--or, I guess, queendom--left to rule.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Catherine came off really unlikable in this episode. I get why in principle she needed to fire Teddy and Amelia (they went behind her back to use company money for something she didn't want), but she just seemed really cold and off. I wouldn't have been surprised if she told Bailey she was easily replaceable and fired her too. 

Meredith was annoying too. Does she thinking she can use other people's money and not give them control. 

I wouldn't threaten to quit my job over someone who had another offer lined up. 

13 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

From the beginning of the season I wondered if they'll go with Chief having Alzheimer's.

This will possibly be the reason why Catherine changes her mind about Meredith's research

Yeah, that would make sense and be a way to fix things. I was thinking Jackson would swoop in and make Catherine be more reasonable, but your way is more dramatic.

The most interesting thing was finding out that amnesiac patient was Kwan's old fiancé. I wonder if she will stick around. I am also surprised she wouldn't know. I mean, if she woke up from a coma with amnesia, I'd think people would tell her she was engaged. Then they'd break up because she doesn't remember loving him. But she would know that when she came out of the coma there was a guy she didn't remember, right?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

The most interesting thing was finding out that amnesiac patient was Kwan's old fiancé. I wonder if she will stick around. I am also surprised she wouldn't know. I mean, if she woke up from a coma with amnesia, I'd think people would tell her she was engaged. Then they'd break up because she doesn't remember loving him. But she would know that when she came out of the coma there was a guy she didn't remember, right?

Like you, this was the most interesting part of the episode for me. I assumed she broke up with him because she didn't remember him, and now she has a new life. But then again, maybe that doesn't make sense if now she sort of remembers him. Although (fictional and real) amnesia can be a tricky thing.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 4:19 PM, Snow Fairy said:

Yes.  I think in Season 18(?), the people in charge of reviewing hospital residency programs shut down Grey-Sloan's residency program.  The new interns we got last season were all supposed to be people who failed to match at other places, or otherwise had personal problems that made it so they had to transfer from other programs.

22 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Meredith was annoying too. Does she thinking she can use other people's money and not give them control. 

How many times has Meredith gotten away with stuff that would have gotten other doctors booted a long time ago?  She destroyed Derek's Alzheimer's study by breaking protocol for Adelle.  She engaged in insurance fraud.  I think she went to jail(?)    

Edited by txhorns79
  • Like 3
14 hours ago, Shellie said:

Like you, this was the most interesting part of the episode for me. I assumed she broke up with him because she didn't remember him, and now she has a new life. But then again, maybe that doesn't make sense if now she sort of remembers him. Although (fictional and real) amnesia can be a tricky thing.

That is what I assumed, but I thought if she broke up with him because she didn't remember him, she would at least remember the break up. But maybe not. 

10 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

How many times has Meredith gotten away with stuff that would have gotten other doctors booted a long time ago?  She destroyed Derek's Alzheimer's study by breaking protocol for Adelle.  She engaged in insurance fraud.  I think she went to jail(?)    

I don't think she went to jail. Meredith never has consequences for her actions.

• Like 2

I thought Kwan left her short before the accident or while she was in a coma. So her family didn't want to tell her everything not to upset her.

• Like 1
(edited)

I watch alot of medical shows and I’ve never seen a surgical tray with everyone’s phones. Is that the norm now? Also, wouldn’t the nurse that held the phone have to leave - rescrub and reglove?

Why would the intern with the crazy hair want to stay at Sloane when he has a fellowship with the prestigious University of Chicago med school in the cardiac unit? I figure he would eventually just show up on the Chicago Med show.

Edited by Diana Berry
  • Like 4
32 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

I watch alot of medical shows and I’ve never seen a surgical tray with everyone’s phones. Is that the norm now? Also, wouldn’t the nurse that held the phone have to leave - rescrub and reglove?

Why would the intern with the crazy hair want to stay at Sloane when he has a fellowship with the prestigious University of Chicago med school in the cardiac unit? I figure he would eventually just show up on the Chicago Med show.

I agree he should go take the job in Chicago, but he can’t switch shows because Chicago Med is on another network.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

I agree he should go take the job in Chicago, but he can’t switch shows because Chicago Med is on another network.  

It'd be funny if he showed up there as a different character.

9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I don't think she went to jail. 

It looks like Meredith was in jail in this clip from episode 16.6. The Wikipedia summary of that episode says, "Meredith gets a reality check in prison when she learns how her cellmate, Paula, landed herself behind bars."

The tray with all the phones was alarming. That's a lot of distraction when there's a patient on the operating table. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Yep very true but  you can watch chicago fire on peacock.  Let all the shows become one happy family. 

If they don’t give Richard Alzheimer’s I wonder if they will give it to Catherine. It would shake up the hospital leadership and cause changes.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It'd be funny if he showed up there as a different character.

He can be a resident named Adam Lucas who has three uncles and one aunt who are all highly regarded medical professionals. He'll be totally different from Lucas Adams who has three aunts and an uncle. Totally not the same character. 

• LOL 7

Discretionary funds are

an amount of money that is available to spend on things that are not considered necessary but that may be useful:

So if Catherine gave Teddy discretionary funds for her department, Catherine gets no say what Teddy spends the money on. If she doesn't like what Teddy used the money for, she can withhold the money back next budget.

Not to mention that the Fox Foundation should have funded the research in the first place. And I'm pretty sure that you can't fire someone for disagreeing with you about whether a surgeon should operate in an emergency. Or for doing research on their own time.

Catherine made so many bed decisions this episode, maybe she does have Alzheimers.

• Like 4
On 5/31/2024 at 11:08 AM, tessabq said:

You’re not the only one! I was disappointed Koracick didn’t put in an appearance. His snarky comments always make me laugh.

I’d also like Teddy and Owen gone, but I did enjoy Owen telling Catherine off.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

You’re not the only one! I was disappointed Koracick didn’t put in an appearance. His snarky comments always make me laugh.

I’d also like Teddy and Owen gone, but I did enjoy Owen telling Catherine off.

Koracick being hated by Owen only made me love Koracick more. 

The Owen/Catherine interaction was the first time in years I have enjoyed Owen. 

• Like 6