Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Out of the Shadows

• Start Topic

(edited)

The costume designers have outdone themselves. My favorite pieces from episode 1 were Lady Danbury's white ensemble and Eloise's coat/duster in the final scene with Colin.

The only thing that bugged me was that the continuity was off with Kate and Anthony. They're supposed to be just back from their honeymoon, but at the end of season two we saw them just back from their honeymoon. None of the characters had their updated looks yet, and Colin was present. Per what we saw in this episode, Colin should still have been on his trip at that time.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 7

I like Lady D in white, it is a new look for her.

Costumes were amazing as always,

But, so far, I am underwhelmed.  And I agree that the incongruity of the timeline is jarring.

I am guessing the "second honeymoon" plotline means those two will be gone for the rest of this series.

• Like 4

May the gods protect me from liking Lord Debling too much and then wanting for him and Pen to get together. lol I'm at risk. 

I'm invested in Pen and Eloise.  Emma! 

Oh, Colin. 

I like Francesca. I think her storyline will be interesting. 

• Like 10
(edited)

This was a good opening.  I'm already liking Francesca. (I would say "the new Francesca" but we never had a chance to know the other one at all). She seems to fit in the collective personalities of the Bridgerton family while also seeming distinct.

I'm working hard not to notice costuming anachronisms.  Season one was adjusting to some of the fabrics and color choices which were not consistent with the era. I now have to accustom myself to the idea that in the Bridgerton world of Regency England, a man walking through Mayfair with no cravat and his shirt collar open is daring but not out and out ungentlemanly and scandalous. Okay, Brain, GO!

8 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

The only thing that bugged me was that the continuity was off with Kate and Anthony. They're supposed to be just back from their honeymoon, but at the end of season two we saw them just back from their honeymoon. None of the characters had their updated looks yet, and Colin was present. Per what we saw in this episode, Colin should still have been on his trip at that time.

Yeah, the timelines are all over the place in this series.  I was also confused how the final scenes of S2 could fit into what we saw here in S3E1.  But like the cravat, I've decided to let the realities of time go too. 

The fact is, by making each season of the show be a consecutive season of the Ton and by having a Bridgerton daughter debut in each of those season (not to mention making S1 Daphne's first season), the show has made a mess of the Bridgerton family's ages. There should be more age difference between Daphne and Francesca.  Last season, someone said Collin was 21. He'd have to be older than that. But whatever.

I'm here for the (extremely silly and fun) ride.  And what I saw a so far, setting aside my nitpicking, was promising.  I think I am most pleased by the tone of the this first episode. It felt light and seemed to emphasize the family as the chaotic and charming collective they are.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1

I know that the timeline is screwy and the costumes are hilariously anachronistic, but I am still thrilled that this show's back, I'm totally along for the ride. I liked last season quite a bit more than the first so I am really hoping that continues, but that all depends on how invested I end up in Penelope and Colin. 

Penelope looks so much better when she isn't dressed like a banana. I totally get why Eloise is mad at her, I would be upset too especially after how much shit she talked about Daphne, but I do hope they make up soon. Even worse for Penelope, Eloise has become friends with Cressada while she's gone, the Regina George* of Regency society! 

Its interesting watching Queen Charlotte Brimsley now that I know their backstory. So why is she holding off on a diamond? 

Even if Anthony and Kate will be disappearing soon, I'm glad we got to see a bit of their wedded bliss, i love them so much. 

*Although Penelope is the one with the burn book

• Like 9

Penelope’s new wardrobe is absolutely lovely.   As for the rest of the family, well…still very Featherington (I will refrain from commenting on their choice of husbands). 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I like the idea that Francesca is a shy introvert who just wants to be left alone to play the piano. I like that both she and Eloise are not into all of the society stuff, but Francesca is not disdainful like Eloise was.

Anthony seems like a totally different person now that he's happy.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 12

I have a grudge against Penelope given the near-sociopathic actions she has taken as LW, so I figure this season is going to be rough sledding since it undoubtedly will end up with Colin overlooking the fact that LW has nearly destroyed him and his twice, with Penelope beating her awful sisters to an heir and getting all the good things. 

Is there some inside stuff about the era why everyone was staring at Penelope? 

• Like 4

Great costumes.

Lady Danbury looked great as always. I love her.

I love Penelope's new clothes. She looks great.

I get why Eloise is mad at Penelope even though I don't like Eloise but really? Becoming friends with Cressida? 

I like Francesca.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I like Francesca.

I was surprised by how much I ended up liking her. And I like John too. 

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I have a grudge against Penelope given the near-sociopathic actions she has taken as LW, so I figure this season is going to be rough sledding since it undoubtedly will end up with Colin overlooking the fact that LW has nearly destroyed him and his twice, with Penelope beating her awful sisters to an heir and getting all the good things. 

Is there some inside stuff about the era why everyone was staring at Penelope? 

Yeah, usually in romance novels when a characters acts like Penelope did in book 1 and book 2 the author puts them through the wringer before they get their happily ever after and the character is remorseful.  I am not seeing the show following this, and I get the feeling we are supposed to forget what Penelope did especially what she did to Marina.  

There is no inside stuff as to why everyone was staring at Penelope at least not why there were so obviously staring.  Their behavior was rude.  The Ton would have been more discreet in their behavior not stop their conversations to gawk at someone who's been out for the last 2 years wearing a more flattering color.  They know Pen is on the road to becoming a spinster so her dressing "better" is really just par for the course in the marriage mart.  Now, the mammas would be gossiping up a storm about Pen and a whole lot of other debutantes because that is what they do.  Just not so openly.  Wait until meeting for tea the next afternoon or quietly whisper while they watch the action of the ball or when they promenade on Rotten Row.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I am not seeing the show following this, and I get the feeling we are supposed to forget what Penelope did especially what she did to Marina.  

I'm fairly certain we are not supposed to forget.  But this is speculation on my part.

• Like 1
(edited)

I thought Colin looked better in previous seasons; I'm not a fan of the spraytan and sideburns, and whatever else they've done to his face.  I wish one of the Bridgerton boys had Daphne's complexion/hair coloring. 

Edited by Glade
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2

1. Francesca is a great addition to this. I particularly liked that she gave us a new, refreshing take on the whole HI QUEEN thing - yes, nervous, but not eager, like Daphne, nor protesting, like Eloise, just a "I have got to get through this, and then I can have some peace and quiet." Also liked that after participating in the "I shall stand outside my sister's door until she emerges for her debut" routine, she just....snuck out to the garden and then to the piano.

On that note, I'm hoping the piano remains a thing. One of the BTS things noted that because the piano in the Bridgerton's drawing room is a real antique piano, it's kinda finicky and fragile and has to be retuned before each and every scene when anyone is playing it. And on the one hand, I genuinely love this and the idea of an antique piano in the show, and on the other hand, I can't help but think that an 1805 piano would have looked much newer and done a better job of staying in tune in 1815? 1816? 1817?

2. On that note, yes, I'm kinda confused by the timing of this? The first season was set in 1813, and the second season in either 1814 or 1815. Then we had Queen Charlotte, which I guess was supposed to be set in 1814 or 1815, based on the dialogue between Lady Danbury and Violet Bridgerton, indicating that it took place right after season two, or during the first few episodes of this season (Violet says Anthony and Kate are on their honeymoon, and it seems like that could be referring to the time period right after this episode, since Anthony and Kate are leaving for another honeymoon?), except that Queen Charlotte is also set between the deaths of Princess Charlotte (Wikipedia says 1817) and the birth of Queen Victoria (Wikipedia says 1819).

But since nobody seems to be mentioning cute little baby Victoria, I....guess we're just supposed to ignore that, or maybe assume that this season is all happening before the birth of Queen Victoria?

3. And speaking of timeline confusion - other people already mentioned the "But I thought Anthony and Kate had already RETURNED from their honeymoon in season two," and, yes, that, BUT ALSO, this show has made a huge point of saying that nothing ever happens in Society/the Ton during the summer since everyone is scattered about at their different estates and nobody really interacts/gossips. This was even a plot point in season two - it's how Queen Charlotte correctly figures out that Lady Whistledown has to be a member of the ton.

So, given this, why exactly did Eloise expect to run into Penelope in the country (there's been no indication whatsoever that the Featherington estates are close to the Bridgerton estates - the Crane estates ARE close to the Bridgerton estates and yet apparently absolutely no one from the Featherington family has bothered to ride over to see how Marina is doing). And how, exactly, did Eloise manage to have enough interactions with Cressida to form a friendship?

I should probably try not to think so much about this show.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
39 minutes ago, Glade said:

I thought Colin looked better in previous seasons; I'm not a fan of the spraytan and sideburns, and whatever else they've done to his face.  I wish one of the Bridgerton boys had Daphne's complexion/hair coloring. 

I think the point in the books was that the brothers all looked very much alike 

• Like 6
17 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

@quarks I suspect this will all be much easier to watch if we do not think too hard about time... or physics... or continuity. 

You are 100% right, and yet, it's all STILL BUGGING ME. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I think the point in the books was that the brothers all looked very much alike 

Successful casting then - those actors look very much alike.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
(edited)

I enjoyed it by the end but I thought this episode had a very slow start. I can't see it pulling in new viewers, and it seemed like that wasn't the intention either. It had little in the way of action or excitement or anything to dazzle.

But Francesca is a breath of fresh air. I like that Eloise is a little different from how she was last season and that Colin has grown up some.

Is everyone binge-watching all four episodes this weekend or spreading them out over the coming weeks? I plan to spread them out; we'll see if I can stick to the plan! 😀

Edited by Kirsty
  • Like 4
38 minutes ago, Kirsty said:

I enjoyed it by the end but I thought this episode had a very slow start. I can't see it pulling in new viewers, and it seemed like that wasn't the intention either.

But Francesca is a breath of fresh air. I like that Eloise is a little different from how she was last season and that Colin has grown up some.

Is everyone binge-watching all four episodes this weekend or spreading them out over the coming weeks? I plan to spread them out; we'll see if I can stick to the plan! 😀

I considered drawing them out over the coming weeks, given that part two doesn't arrive until June, but I was weak, and binged.

This does allow me to rewatch all four episodes before June, though, so it works out for me.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
17 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Au contraire, @Chicago Redshirt, from the very angry way Colin spoke about the [still unknown to him] author of the LW scandal sheet at the end, I think you are exactly the audience this season is written for.

My complaint is the One True Romantic Pair pinky swearing to be just friends, with the dashing young man assisting the young damsel in landing a fish husband, is almost exactly what was done in season 1.
Just because Regé-Jean Page did not want to do the show after season 1 does not mean we have forgotten the plot. 

BTW, speaking of forgetting, Regé-Jean Page was a Triple Stumper on Jeopardy! on Wednesday, meaning after this clue was read:
   "In 2020, this actor played a duke over on Netflix…"
none of the 3 contestants buzzed in with the correct response.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

For what Pen did to Lady Crane and her using Whistledown when she's angry at someone I have a hard time rooting for her.  I'm hoping this season she stops hiding behind Whistledown. 

I also found Colin the more boring one of the brothers even with his season glow up. I hope he becomes more interesting. I suppose Eliose knowing her brother is upset with Whistledown and her being one of the few that know who she is should be interesting. 

As for the continuity issues, weren't they at their off season home? So we could go with Antony and Kate returned from their honeymoon and to their estate. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, quarks said:

You are 100% right, and yet, it's all STILL BUGGING ME. 

Me too. I'm a stickler for continuity, and while it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the show, I think it's kind of insulting to viewers that the writers are not heeding the timelines, as if we won't notice.

• Like 4

I checked again, and according to Wikipedia, Emma, the book Eloise is reading in this episode, was first printed in December 1815, with an official publication date of early 1816. 

This show easily could have name dropped an earlier Jane Austen novel, but since they chose Emma, I think we're meant to think that this season takes place at some point after December 1815, unless we want to assume that Eloise secretly knows Jane Austen and thus has access to advanced reader copies or something, which seems even more unlikely that the rest of this show.

Which gives us:

Season 1: 1813

Season 2: 1814 or 1815

Season 3: 1816

Queen Charlotte: Outside the bounds of time and history.

• Like 5
  • LOL 12
1 hour ago, quarks said:

I considered drawing them out over the coming weeks, given that part two doesn't arrive until June, but I was weak, and binged.

This does allow me to rewatch all four episodes before June, though, so it works out for me.

I just couldn't stop once I started.

• Like 3

This “new” Colin feels like a cosplay - winking at women, saying things like “you are all flowers in bloom”. Who are you? Sorry Colin, Benedict is way hotter than you! 

Lady Whistledown needs to stop writing out of anger. It’s reckless and as dangerous as drunk-texting your ex.

Eloise preventing Cressida from bullying Penelope, she still cares about her former BFF.

Francesca - the introverted Bridgerton makes her debut. I hardly remember her character. She’s practically a non existent in S02.

What makes Portia think that the fabricated story about a rich spinster aunt leaving them a fortune will help her in “cleaning” the scammed money?

Why are they bringing back the Mondriches? It’s not an interesting side plot.

Déjà vu… Anthony continues to be such a “giver”. Lucky Kate! But I expect more from Kanthony, not just the bedroom scenes. The affection between Violet and Kate is endearing.

My favorite line belongs to Portia:

“You are both married women. Must we tell a baker to bake?”

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 6
  • LOL 4

Actually, I think the Mondrich storyline is interesting.  I’m not only interested to see how they handle the situation of a child inheriting a title (not sure if they’re really going to bother with that) but how someone like them manages to deal with a completely new environment and culture.  It’s like being an immigrant without being an immigrant.  

• Like 8

As a more casual Bridgerton viewer (I've watched both seasons and Queen Charlotte, but only once and not read the books), I will admit that it's been too long since the end of Season 2 and I didn't notice the incongruities mentioned above. 

I was disappointed that Colin didn't have a better explanation for his Season 2 overheard dis of Penelope.  I expected him to say something like we've been friends since childhood and I consider you my sister, so of course I would never court you.   I think she let him off way too easily. 

I knew Pen was getting a glow up this season, but I'll be honest - I was underwhelmed by the dark green dress.  Love her hair, though. 

I hated Eloise's opening scene dress, with the ruffles and bow.  It is either the same, or something similar to a dress she wore last season.  I loved the cross neck dress and cape/overcoat she had on for the later scene with Cressida.  I'd love to see a "Taming of the Shrew" subplot with Eloise teaching Cressida how to be a decent human being and get a husband (or be happy without one).  Eloise's voice seems to have changed considerably.  She no longer sounds like she's been chain smoking since birth, or trying to do a simultaneous imitation of Suzanne Pleshette and Miley Cyrus. 

Franchesca is beautiful, far more stunning than Daphne.  I like her whole meh approach to coming out.

I don't really remember much about the club owner and his wife, so I'm not yet invested in their storyline with their kid being the new Baron or whatever. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Au contraire, @Chicago Redshirt, from the very angry way Colin spoke about the [still unknown to him] author of the LW scandal sheet at the end, I think you are exactly the audience this season is written for.

If this were written for me, it would end up with Colin leading a pitchfork brigade to burn Pen at the stake in revenge for all the harm Whistledown has done to the ton. Or at least, Pen deciding that she is willing to sacrifice being Whistledown and undergo various other acts of penance for what she did to Marina, Daphne, Eloise and others. 

I'll settle for a frank acknowledgement down the line from Pen that she's been a monster and that she ends up a kindler, gentler Whistledown.

I predict (not based on spoilers or having read the books) that it ends with Pen's bad behavior swept under the rug and Colin enabling it even further. 

• Like 8

I still have hard time seeing Penelope as Lady Whistledown. I know she is and they showed her writing as her. But I sitll have a hard time reconciling them as the same person.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, chaifan said:

I was disappointed that Colin didn't have a better explanation for his Season 2 overheard dis of Penelope.  I expected him to say something like we've been friends since childhood and I consider you my sister, so of course I would never court you.   I think she let him off way too easily. 

I don't think it wasn't about that Pen was hurt. Colin hadn't court her till then and she was sure that he wouldn't do it in the future as he saw her only as a fried.

It was about him shaming her to his friends - who interpreted his words just like Pen: he wouldn't court her because nobody would - she wasn't attractive enough.

It was to his friend he should have said what you suggested: "She is like a sister to me - if she wasn't, I would certainly court her" (even if it had been a lie, it would perhaps made some other man  court her, but Colin was too afraid that he would be ridiculed by his friends).

• Like 9
5 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

If this were written for me, it would end up with Colin leading a pitchfork brigade to burn Pen at the stake in revenge for all the harm Whistledown has done to the ton. Or at least, Pen deciding that she is willing to sacrifice being Whistledown and undergo various other acts of penance for what she did to Marina, Daphne, Eloise and others. 

I'll settle for a frank acknowledgement down the line from Pen that she's been a monster and that she ends up a kindler, gentler Whistledown.

I predict (not based on spoilers or having read the books) that it ends with Pen's bad behavior swept under the rug and Colin enabling it even further. 

I agree with you, although it would be enough if her family and friends abandoned Pen for lying to all and revealing their secrets to the world.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, PRgal said:

Actually, I think the Mondrich storyline is interesting.  I’m not only interested to see how they handle the situation of a child inheriting a title (not sure if they’re really going to bother with that) but how someone like them manages to deal with a completely new environment and culture.  It’s like being an immigrant without being an immigrant.  

I fear the Mondrich story will mirror Post-Civil War Reconstruction in the American South.
Meanwhile, the Featheringtons are reminiscent of the nouveau riche Beverly Hillbillies with a slightly evil twist, seemingly emanating from their anxieties about the precariousness of their social status.

13 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

This “new” Colin feels like a cosplay - winking at women, saying things like “you are all flowers in bloom”. Who are you? Sorry Colin, Benedict is way hotter than you! 

Lady Whistledown needs to stop writing out of anger. It’s reckless and as dangerous as drunk-texting your ex.

Eloise preventing Cressida from bullying Penelope, she still cares about her former BFF.

Francesca - the introverted Bridgerton makes her debut. I hardly remember her character. She’s practically a non existent in S02.

What makes Portia think that the fabricated story about a rich spinster aunt leaving them a fortune will help her in “cleaning” the scammed money?

Why are they bringing back the Mondriches? It’s not an interesting side plot.

Déjà vu… Anthony continues to be such a “giver”. Lucky Kate! But I expect more from Kanthony, not just the bedroom scenes. The affection between Violet and Kate is endearing.

My favorite line belongs to Portia:

“You are both married women. Must we tell a baker to bake?”

🤣🤣🤣

Re: Colin, I think its supposed to be the point.. Its wildly out of his character and supposed to feel wrong.

Can’t agree about Benedict. He does less than nothing for me. His character seems to have no inner life beyond…Maybe I’m an artist, after all there’s naked people in art!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
19 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

It gives me secondhand embarrassment. I hope its supposed to be funny, not sexy.

17 hours ago, chaifan said:

I don't really remember much about the club owner and his wife, so I'm not yet invested in their storyline with their kid being the new Baron or whatever. 

These characters are perfectly likeable, but if I recall, I was surprised they were even in the show in the second season. Wasn't he the boxing partner of Daphne's husband? They aren't really connected to the other stories.

12 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I still have hard time seeing Penelope as Lady Whistledown. I know she is and they showed her writing as her. But I sitll have a hard time reconciling them as the same person.

I wish they had never revealed who Lady Whistledown was and just kept her as a mysterious narrator. (I have a feeling someone will be tempted to tell me how this plays out in the books. I literally don't care, so save your energy! 😂)

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

I wish they had never revealed who Lady Whistledown was and just kept her as a mysterious narrator. (I have a feeling someone will be tempted to tell me how this plays out in the books. I literally don't care, so save your energy! 😂)

I agree with you very much. But, I doubt that in this media age, that it could've been kept a secret.

• Like 5
(edited)

You mean because people would say who it was in the books? That could be true, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be the same person on the show as it is in the books. But really my point was, I don't think the trials and tribulations of Lady Whistledown should be a part of the show, even if book readers know who it supposedly is.

Edited by janie jones
  • Like 1

When they were showing the parade of debutantes one girl and her mother signed to each other. Was she deaf? Or her mother? Or both? If so I had hoped we would see more of them.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

When they were showing the parade of debutantes one girl and her mother signed to each other. Was she deaf? Or her mother? Or both? If so I had hoped we would see more of them.

The mother was portrayed by Deaf actress Sophie Wolley. I'm not sure about the daughter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

That should have been the immediate end of Eloise's friendship with Cressida. I don't care how (justifiably) mad Eloise is at Penelope - someone who would deliberately shred someone's outfit like that is bad news.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

That should have been the immediate end of Eloise's friendship with Cressida. I don't care how (justifiably) mad Eloise is at Penelope - someone who would deliberately shred someone's outfit like that is bad news.

Yes, but in these fraught, polarized times of our world, I appreciate a show demonstrating how we can influence one another for good.😇🌼
Plus, they’re supposed to be much younger than the actresses who are portraying them, and so their characters are not yet set in stone. They have much to learn.
A “leopard may not change its spots,” but I imagine baby leopards spots are not yet fully formed.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Bobcatkitten said:

My overarching question is why did Pen continue with LW after Eloise found out and she saw how she really hurt people she loved. It doesn't make sense. 

I suppose Pen decided that either Eloise was going to out her or not. But stopping writing wasn't going to change that. It is her source of income. And she seems to enjoy it.

• Like 4
(edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 8:13 AM, braziliangirl said:

May the gods protect me from liking Lord Debling too much and then wanting for him and Pen to get together. lol I'm at risk. 

Same.... But I always seem to root for the couple that is fated to not be end game.

I find Colin boring. Hopefully the show spends time developing him and giving me a reason for why I should root for him and Pen. Pen having a crush on Colin for years isn't enough.

Edited by Fireball
spelling
  • Like 7
35 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

I suppose Pen decided that either Eloise was going to out her or not. But stopping writing wasn't going to change that. It is her source of income. And she seems to enjoy it.

Speaking of Pen's income from LW leaflets, has the show shown what she's doing with that income?  She couldn't spend it without her mother noticing, and wondering where she's getting money from.  She can't open a bank account without word getting around, let alone make regular deposits.  Is it all hidden under floorboards in her bedroom? 

I sort of want Lady Whistledown to end up being a Dread Pirate Roberts sort of thing.  That Lady W never goes away, even if Penelope stops writing, she just transfers the name to someone else.  Maybe Eloise has to cover for Pen at some point, ghost writes a leaflet or two for her, and then she's the heir apparent.  This will also provide a good explanation as to why Julie Andrew's voice sounds nothing like Pen.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, chaifan said:

This will also provide a good explanation as to why Julie Andrew's voice sounds nothing like Pen.

I had assumed Julie Andrew's voice just represented the voice readers imagined.
But it could also indicate that LWD letters continue into Pen's old age.

• Like 5