Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: You Don't Know Me

• Start Topic

THURSDAY, APRIL 11, 8:00-9:00 p.m. EDT

Hen and Karen welcome a new addition to their family, while a call unfolds involving a person's limb that's taken on a mind of its own. Meanwhile, Eddie and Marisol take a closer look at their relationship, and Buck navigates his new feelings.

(edited)
30 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Sooo...the little girl now has access to seeing whatever goes on in Hen and Karen's bedroom?  I don't think they thought this through. 

Short term it is a good plan.  It makes the new child feel safe.   Hen and Karen can put off sex for a few months to make their new daughter feel safe. 

I am glad that Buck's story was done really well.  Of course he panicked a little but then he went to his sister and talked things out and when Eddie was having similar relationship issues he had no qualms about telling him about Tommy to make Eddie feel more confident about his own relationship.  Plus Eddie telling Buck that Tommy doesn't know that Buck is an idiot was just adorable.

So next week we are doing The Hangover.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 6

Eddie: "I've just got a reservoir of Catholic guilt just lying dormant. Just waiting to be activated."

Buck: "Like sea monkeys."

Eddie: "No."

Ha ha!

• Applause 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)

Honestly, I did think that they were gonna delay Buck's coming out since we have a three week hiatus but then I remembered this show loves speeding through plots like it's a racetrack. 

The Buck stuff was done fairly well. Buck/Tommy's first date was a disaster and I could definitely have passed on Buck's cringeworthy "I'm an ALLY!" declaration (twice), but Tommy's reaction was very well done to the whole situation. He recognized Buck was figuring stuff out, especially with his adverse reaction when Eddie/Marisol showed up, and he decided to leave. I'm glad he explained that he left primarily for Buck's comfort, rather than being offended by Buck's rather strong reaction. 

I am glad we got the two major coming out scenes with Maddie and Eddie. In typical Buck fashion, he Bucks it up with Maddie by accidentally coming out to her because he can't keep the pronouns right. I am surprised she was genuinely surprised by him being interested in men, but it did lead to one of the funniest lines of the episode, in an episode of funny moments:

"Sure, I'll check out a hot guy's ass, but that's normal."

As for the Eddie scene, it was really well done. Buck obviously had a hard time telling Eddie, but once he did, Oliver Stark played that relief really, really well. And Eddie's reaction was touching and sweet. 

"Wait...TOMMY'S GAY?" And no question on Buck being bisexual, so that was a way to break the tension.

Solid, solid episode for Buck, especially since he finally learned to talk to people and apologize and really communicate to his date. Now, inviting Tommy to the wedding is typical Buck fashion, moving too fast on something, but at least Tommy's friends with Chimney so it won't be too awkward. 

Eddie/Marisol was annoying, but the nun plot seemed....sudden. Once I got over the absurdity, I see that it's setting up some Catholic guilt type story, and it led to a really nice moment with Eddie/Bobby so if handled well, it could be interesting to explore for a few episodes. I also like when the show circles back to Bobby's Catholicism. 

The Hen/Karen plot was ok, it felt rushed but I get why it felt rushed. They also could have gone a little deeper into bringing in a more troubled foster child but I guess they wanted to keep it mostly light and mostly contained to this one episode. I think they solved the issue way too fast and am disappointed they took massive strides in less than three days, but if they're planning to keep Mara, then I guess in a shortened season, it's better than nothing.

I'm very glad we got a tease of the Hangover Wedding before the hiatus. It's gonna be a long hiatus.

I probably shouldn't have laughed as hard as I did at the opening call, but I did.

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Like 3
(edited)

I was delighted to notice that the song playing in the background during Buck and Tommy's dinner date was "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered".

Edited by CoderLady
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Eddie  played his part to perfection  tonight. DH is Catholic,  and everything  he said made us laugh.

I know it was mentioned  up thread about Mara can now see Hen and Karen's bedroom,  I had the same thought,  but perhaps  after she feels safer, they can shut it off.,Poor child, I hope they don't  have to move her again.

Now,  what's up with Chimney late for his own wedding? Jail? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Buck has now had two stories you don't typically see depicted that often on TV.  In Season 1, it was his relationship with Abby.  It's still pretty uncommon to have the hot 20-something stud date a woman a good 15 years older than him and for age not to even be mentioned as a factor in the same way that it'd be told if the genders were reversed. Even though it ended badly, I loved it at the time.

And now they're telling the story of him realizing he's bi, or at least having an attraction to some men, well into his adulthood.  It's the kind of story that I've seen multiple times with women but I can't ever recall seeing it told with men.  I think there's always this assumption that guys must realize it sooner and suppress it but that's not always the case.

I loved how he was so cringe on the date and then had a pronoun slipup with Maddie--although I thought she might have suspected.  Tommy "so it's just me who makes you nervous" has got some game. 

I stumbled on some spoilers a week or so ago that mentioned this nun thing and I thought it was hilarious even if the overall story seemed bizarre.  I'm not sure what to learn from Eddie's rash decision to have Marisol move in. 

The foster story wrapped up pretty quickly.  I wonder if we're going to continue to see more trauma from her.  It was nice to see Denny again. 

I hope Chim and Maddie get a nice wedding. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, dancingdreamer said:

Eddie  played his part to perfection  tonight. DH is Catholic,  and everything  he said made us laugh.

Heh, and Bobby's "Lapsed Catholic, still a Catholic" line. Yup.

• Like 3
(edited)

This episode felt off. None of the Hen and Karen story felt realistic to me. They have fostered kids before, they should have been better at this. Plus the whole thing felt rushed and lazy. They're just now hearing about some 9 year-old in a group home and bang, the next thing you know she's moving in. Did the social worker happen to mention she was that traumatized? I kept wondering why neither Karen nor Hen just sat down and tried to talk to the kid instead of tip-toeing around her and pretending everything was normal. 

Bobby coming out to Eddie did not feel genuine either. It felt more politically correct for Eddie to just go with the flow than realistic. Especially in an episode that revolves around Eddie's latent Catholic guilt. Eddie and Buck have been way too close for Eddie to not even bat an eye about this. I would expect the wheels to start turning and for him to start wondering if Buck was attracted to him and for there to have been an awkward phase. 

Then the wedding. WTF? Did this just come out of the blue or what? I don't remember hearing anything about Chim and Maddie having a wedding and then suddenly, Bang! We're at one. And it looks like we're in for a "The Hangover" rip-off.

I just thought the whole thing was badly written.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 4

Wouldn't Hen and Karen have been provided more background on the child, not just that her parents were dead?  That her parents died and Mara found their bodies?  That her parents had an ongoing drug/criminal life that Mara was exposed to?  Why do they have to go to Athena to pull police records and Maddie to obtain the 911 call?  The parents are dead; it wouldn't be violating any type of privacy concern by providing H&K with all the facts on them and Mara. 

Why does Marisol have a framed picture of herself as a novitiate?  I guess I can understand her keeping the picture; that time was a part of her life after all.  But to have it framed and ready for display?  I thought that was odd.

I was wondering whether I missed an episode, because I also was thinking wedding?  What wedding?  I cannot believe there wouldn't have been an episode with Maddie nonstop talking about the venue, the dress, the cake, etc.   

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Short term it is a good plan.  It makes the new child feel safe.   Hen and Karen can put off sex for a few months to make their new daughter feel safe. 

Unless your partner is ill or has other issues, a few months is a long time not to have sex, just to make the daughter feel safe.  They could have come up with a better idea but, frankly, they didn't seem prepared for taking in another child. 

Also, they didn't adequately address her hitting their other child (forgot their name) upside the head.  What if she gets violent again for some reason?  I'm surprised that "therapist" Karen can't come up with a treatment plan for the daughter.   

• Like 3
(edited)
On 4/11/2024 at 11:12 PM, Lady Calypso said:

"Sure, I'll check out a hot guy's ass, but that's normal."

"...Its not...abnormal..."

I'm glad that they are really going there with Buck, so far they are handling this story pretty well. I like that Buck is mostly cool with the idea that he's bisexual or something but he's still being awkward about it, so many times in these kinds of stories the person trying to figure out their sexuality, especially later in life, is either totally cool with it immediately or collapses in a pile of repressed angst, this seems very true for Buck. That whole "we're off to find some sexy ladies" was such cringe, that physically hurt. Now he's come out to Eddie and Maddie, which I think the actors all did really good work with, he just has the rest of the gang now.

Maddie and Eddie both seemed surprised by Buck going on a date with a guy, but I remember TK thinking that Buck was hitting on him way back in the Lone Star crossover, which is what made me wonder if they would actually go there. Say what you will about TK being the most disaster prone person in Texas, his gaydar is on point.

Eddie's nun freak out was kind of weird and random, but it did lead to that fun talk with Bobby. I like exploring his faith and seeing how they connected over it even if Eddie isn't a practicing Catholic. Lapsed Catholic is still a Catholic, very very true. "Head to confession, check in with her ex." 

You would think that first responder Hen and Karen would have some more skills when it comes to clearly traumatized kids, this isn't their first time with foster kids. 

The wedding is happening super fast, but at least they gave us a preview before the break starts. Of course it cant go smoothly, but at least it seems like it will be more of a "wacky hangover hijinks" and not "psychotic murderous ex husband" sort of situation that's going to put the wedding in jeopardy. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 4
9 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Maddie and Eddie both seemed surprised by Buck going on a date with a guy, but I remember TK thinking that Buck was hitting on him way back in the Lone Star crossover,

In my experience, there are straight people who miss ALL the cues (they don't know how any of this works!), and straight people who don't. I would have expected at least some of his friends and family to be all "yeah, Buck, we already knew, did you really not know that about yourself?" and some to be totally unsuspecting.

I didn't like this episode much, to be honest. I think Tommy's lines are fine, but the actor is giving NOTHING and Oliver Stark is trying to carry their scenes by himself. I don't know if Ferrigna is just a crap actor, or if he's being directed to be extremely reserved as a defense in case Buck goes into "nevermind, gay panic" mode, in which case we'll see more from him once he feels more clear that Buck is serious about him, but for now it's really uncomfortable to watch Buck leaning in so hard while Tommy acts like dead weight.

Also, I thought they promised us Buck wouldn't have any gay panic/ identity crisis, but this episode was all gay panic/identity crisis.

I also thought Eddie was terrible to Marisol, asking her to move in and saying she shouldn't bring any of her stuff. That was not about the nun thing, because he was like that right away. And I just don't really have any interest in watching people be obnoxious to each other and not communicate about things. I thought his conversations with Buck and Bobby were fine, though.

Maddie was also fine with Buck, though I thought she'd be one of the people who wasn't so surprised by the situation. Doesn't she usually see right through him?

I agree that a foster placement or adoption would have more info and counseling attached to it. Sink or swim is not really how that's supposed to work. At minimum, they'd be able to call the social worker for support, not only to say they reject the child and want her removed.

I did like that the firefighter who got bitten by the dog was not holding a grudge against the dog. I was worried that after they resuscitated the dog, they'd remove the dog for mandatory euthanasia due to the dog having "been a biter".

All the promos for this episode were based on the season opener shipwreck rescue, so I guess the network didn't think they could promote this episode directly, either.

• Like 6

Since they bit off Titanic, I thought they were copying some horror movie with the kid. Why'd she destroy the bear & throw the mug? & the screaming when at the foot of their bed??? Um. WHY?!! Just. Weird. It went from that to she found her parents dead, where's the connection??? 🤨

• Like 3

I thought the screaming was a night terror-- i.e. she was sleepwalking and standing at the foot of their bed, but when they spoke to her she woke up suddenly in her panic state.

They said the throwing the mug was because Denny touched her blanket.

• Useful 3
4 hours ago, Calvada said:

Wouldn't Hen and Karen have been provided more background on the child, not just that her parents were dead?

Not only that, they should have first met her in some neutral place. Their first meeting with her shouldn't have been when she's being dropped off at their house! Geez, no wonder the kid was traumatized, she's being dropped off with complete strangers.

4 hours ago, Calvada said:

Why does Marisol have a framed picture of herself as a novitiate?

She ended up confessing to Eddie that once a guy found out about her past they either freaked out and left, or liked it a little too much. Yet when Eddie found the picture she was way casual about it, like "Oh yeah, that's when I was a nun." And went back to drying her hair. If it's been a big issue in the past she should have addressed it more directly and earlier.

• Like 4

No scenes together but we get a Bathena cameo... awesome☹ Although Bobby did look like he wanted to eat Athena’s face in one of those shots. Anyway, moving on, I enjoyed the Henren story line. It was a little dicey at first as I didn’t know if we had a children of the corn situation happening. I’m glad they persevered and were able to get the info that helped them figure out a path forward. (They might want to rethink the monitor situation in a bit lest they forget, and Mara sees mommies in a whole new light).

I’m glad that when Buck came out to Maddie & Eddie, he had a soft landing. I wanted to see him come out to his quasi-dad Bobby, but that point is moot since having Tommy as his date for the wedding speaks volumes. I don’t know but I found Buck’s interaction with Tommy to be kinda sweet. His almost childlike enthusiasm in exploring something new in his life was sort of endearing to me. I see a lot of people on these interwebs saying that Buddie is end game so I'll see how things shake out. I do have a question though if Buddie does happen how are they going to continue to work together? Wouldn’t one of them have to change shifts?

The opening call was hilarious-poor Eddie, but did you clock how fast Bobby came to Buck’s rescue (you mess with my kid you mess with me lol) I think that Kenneth Choi is funny as all get out so hopefully he’s doing the heavy lifting in this Hangover spoof. All in all, it was great to see the gang back together again.

• Like 3

If it was night terror, then Karen should have discussed it with her.

Regarding the mug-throwing, Hen and Karen seemed to brush off the violence.  What if it happens again if someone touches something she doesn't want touched?

It just seems like the child should be taken to a children's therapist instead of setting up a camera to the bedroom.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Plus the whole thing felt rushed and lazy. They're just now hearing about some 9 year-old in a group home and bang, the next thing you know she's moving in.

I know some foster parents. Fostering can happen that fast. 

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Yet when Eddie found the picture she was way casual about it, like "Oh yeah, that's when I was a nun." And went back to drying her hair. If it's been a big issue in the past she should have addressed it more directly and earlier.

I kept thinking, this never came up? I guess she hid it, but then she was so casual when it came out. It was really weird.

Buck is really just so cute. Love that he’s got such support.

Hated Maddie’s wedding dress. It made her look dowdy even with the impressive cleavage she was sporting.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I kept thinking, this never came up? I guess she hid it, but then she was so casual when it came out. It was really weird.

Probably didn't want Eddie to react like the other guys , either freaking out or expecting her to put on a sexy nun costume.

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Also, I thought they promised us Buck wouldn't have any gay panic/ identity crisis, but this episode was all gay panic/identity crisis.

They said it wouldn't be a traumatic experience for Buck but they didn't say it'd be smooth.

I guess it depends on how one defines gay panic or an identity crisis.  I don't think Buck is panicking about what he's feeling for Tommy.  If he did, I'd think he'd be running away from it.  I also don't know that uncertainty about identity is necessarily a crisis.  I think he wasn't prepared to define things or answer questions about things as he's still exploring his recently discovered attraction to Tommy.  It made him tense and a bit of a disaster. It took conversations with Maddie and Eddie for him to realize that all he needs to say is that they're dating and let that speak for itself.  He doesn't need to have all the answers and the people closest to him accept that.

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The wedding is happening super fast, but at least they gave us a preview before the break starts. Of course it cant go smoothly, but at least it seems like it will be more of a "wacky hangover hijinks" and not "psychotic murderous ex husband" sort of situation that's going to put the wedding in jeopardy. 

Yeah.  They're obviously going to rewind. I am looking forward to the episode.  I am a bit surprised they didn't hold the wedding until the finale.

• Like 3

"Then we're going to look for some hot chicks!" and "I'm an ally" is panicky talk.

Also, being afraid to tell his closest friends what he's feeling or doing is shame/fear based.

I don't think he's suicidal or anything, but he's certainly not handling it in a non-panicky way.

Being surprised or even confused does not lead people to hide what is happening rather than confiding in their usual confidantes, and it does not lead you to start and stop and back away from it when you start to tell them, and it doesn't lead you to have to blurt out defensive absurdities.

(edited)
7 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

That kid was screaming like she needed an exorcism.  

I feel like most of them do. 

I say this as a former child.

ETA: I thought Karen was an engineer, not a therapist. Did I miss something?

Edited by jewel21
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
16 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

ETA: I thought Karen was an engineer, not a therapist. Did I miss something?

She's a scientist. There was that episode with the explosion at her lab.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't know if Ferrigna is just a crap actor, or if he's being directed to be extremely reserved

To be fair, his main role for the last 6 years has been backup for a group of MANLY men (on S.W.A.T.) so he's used to being reserved.

6 hours ago, MrsDixon2U said:

I see a lot of people on these interwebs saying that Buddie is end game

Ugh. UGH UGH! I know that a lot of people like this but if Eddie is also bi (or gay, moreso), I see that as "gay-pandering" -- there's absolute nothing to indicate that he likes men.

And, no, I do not check out other men's asses. Or any other portion of their anatomy.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

Being surprised or even confused does not lead people to hide what is happening rather than confiding in their usual confidantes, and it does not lead you to start and stop and back away from it when you start to tell them, and it doesn't lead you to have to blurt out defensive absurdities.

Sure - when he blurted out to Eddie and Marisol that they were going to go find some "hot chicks" that was certainly a moment of panic. But there's a distinction between that and what's typically meant by the words "gay panic." Buck wasn't panicking about being gay (or bi or pan or whatever). He wasn't freaking out about his own feelings and running away from them or trying to deny them or beating up a gay guy because he was aware he felt an attraction to him. That's what's typically called gay panic. 

Buck just wasn't ready to tell anybody. That didn't change the way he felt about Tommy. He still wanted to continue on the date. 

• Like 6
(edited)

And not telling people isn't always due to shame.  Fear can also drive. Even though there's no indication that Maddie or Eddie are homophobic, people can react differently than their declared "allyship" when a loved one comes out to them. 

20 hours ago, MrsDixon2U said:

I see a lot of people on these interwebs saying that Buddie is end game so I'll see how things shake out.

I think that'd present a writing challenge for the creative team. If these two were opposite genders who considered themselves straight, they'd probably already be together.  But they're not and, up until a week ago, both assumed they were straight men. It'd be one thing if we already knew one of the two were bi or gay from the very beginning but I don't know how you elegantly write two late-in-life coming out stories for two characters in the same fire department.  I have no objection if they want to try, but it's a big ask.

I personally like Tommy and Buck so I hope he sticks around for at least the rest of the season.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3

I also think it's telling when he told Maddie what happened that he felt like it was someone else speaking when he told Eddie the lie, so it's clear that he didn't MEAN to react the way he did and he felt immediate shame/humiliation over lying like that, so the gay panic/identity crisis isn't like other instances where we've seen coming out stories on TV. He's not shameful for his sexuality, he's shameful that he felt like he had to hide it in that moment to Eddie. Which is likely why Maddie even told him upfront that he's more confused about his feelings.

I think Buck obviously needed time to figure out his own feelings because of his sudden the discovery is for him. 

He was panicked, yes, but not in the typical way we've seen in the media. It was more nuanced, more "I'm not really sure of things right now and I don't really want to try to explain to others when I'm not sure myself."

• Like 5
On 4/12/2024 at 11:56 AM, iMonrey said:

Then the wedding. WTF? Did this just come out of the blue or what? I don't remember hearing anything about Chim and Maddie having a wedding and then suddenly, Bang! We're at one.

So I didn't miss part of an episode? (Sometimes I fall asleep.)

It seemed like the writers (understandably) spent more time on Buck's story at the expense of the the other 3 plots that came after the 2 opening rescues. 

• Like 1

There was a lot of weird stuff this episode. Like I can't believe that Marisol wasn't super pissed that she has just moved in and Eddie said she needed to move out. Because now she has to find a new place to live which sucks. It wouldn't have surprised me if she said I'll move out, but we are done.

On 4/12/2024 at 2:53 AM, Irlandesa said:

.And now they're telling the story of him realizing he's bi, or at least having an attraction to some men, well into his adulthood.  It's the kind of story that I've seen multiple times with women but I can't ever recall seeing it told with men.  

The only story I have ever seen on TV that is anything close was The Todd on Scrubs who was a super horny super tough guy surgeon. But he eventually realized that he was so horny he didn't care if he was getting it from a guy or a woman. So it makes me think that Buck is more of a dramatic version of that where he is a guy who loves relationships and being in love and doesn't care as much of who it is with.

On 4/12/2024 at 1:33 PM, Calvada said:

Wouldn't Hen and Karen have been provided more background on the child, not just that her parents were dead?  That her parents died and Mara found their bodies?  That her parents had an ongoing drug/criminal life that Mara was exposed to?  Why do they have to go to Athena to pull police records and Maddie to obtain the 911 call?  The parents are dead; it wouldn't be violating any type of privacy concern by providing H&K with all the facts on them and Mara. 

I have never been a foster parent but I can't imagine they would really leave you on your own like that with a traumatized kid to the point where the only options are figure it out yourself or send the kid back. Because what would have happened if Hen's friend the cop hadn't helped her out.

Lastly I am super disappointed they didn't get Bruce Campbell to be the guy at the beginning who couldn't control his hand.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Like I can't believe that Marisol wasn't super pissed that she has just moved in and Eddie said she needed to move out. Because now she has to find a new place to live which sucks. It wouldn't have surprised me if she said I'll move out, but we are done.

It was mentioned that Marisol owned her own place and she said she was thinking about renting it out when she moved in with Eddie.  I'm guessing she wasn't moved into Eddie's long enough to have rented it out and had a place to go back to.

It's still annoying to have done all that moving but at least she's not homeless.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)
On 4/12/2024 at 2:53 AM, Irlandesa said:

.And now they're telling the story of him realizing he's bi, or at least having an attraction to some men, well into his adulthood.  It's the kind of story that I've seen multiple times with women but I can't ever recall seeing it told with men.  

On 4/14/2024 at 12:00 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

The only story I have ever seen on TV that is anything close was The Todd on Scrubs who was a super horny super tough guy surgeon. But he eventually realized that he was so horny he didn't care if he was getting it from a guy or a woman. So it makes me think that Buck is more of a dramatic version of that where he is a guy who loves relationships and being in love and doesn't care as much of who it is with.

Fran Drescher ("The Nanny") was married for 18 years to Peter Marc Jacobson, at which point he came out as gay (imdb.com/name/nm0414908/bio). 
In 2011 he produced a sitcom based on their marriage and his coming out, "Happily Divorced." 

Two of my former coworkers were hetero until their 30s (one male, one female, both married with kids). 

But, yeah, I think it's more common IRL than on TV.

On 4/14/2024 at 12:00 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

Lastly I am super disappointed they didn't get Bruce Campbell to be the guy at the beginning who couldn't control his hand.

😂🤣

Edited by shapeshifter
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It was mentioned that Marisol owned her own place and she said she was thinking about renting it out when she moved in with Eddie.  I'm guessing she wasn't moved into Eddie's long enough to have rented it out and had a place to go back to.

It's still annoying to have done all that moving but at least she's not homeless.

But that does show how fast the "next step" was for them. The fact that she hadn't even rented out her own place and happily moved in with a man she's been dating for only four or five months, at the most. 

It was a stupid plot, regardless, the more I think about it. It also didn't make any sense because why would Eddie move his new girlfriend in with his son? He had dated Ana longer than Marisol and Ana never got the "moving in" plot. It really didn't make any sense. They should have figured out a different way for Eddie to have discovered Marisol being a nun.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Ok I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to catch that part. Either way, moving when you are an adult, and have actual stuff,  is a huge pain in the ass. So her having to do that again, because of his issues and not being super angry about it was really weird.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Denny Wilson has gotten so big and handsome too.

Can someone remind me where Denny came from? I seem to recall it had something to do with Hen's ex, who went to prison. And that's about all I can remember. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Can someone remind me where Denny came from? I seem to recall it had something to do with Hen's ex, who went to prison. And that's about all I can remember. 

Denny’s bio mom (Eva Mathis) met his bio dad (Nathaniel Greene) in rehab, had a brief relationship. His dad wasn’t aware of his existence until S02.

Once Denny was born, his mom Eva signed all parental rights away and her ex - Hen and Karen Wilson adopted him.

In S01, Eva filled for custody of Denny when she was released from jail, hoping that Hen will come back to her if she has Denny.

In S06, Denny found a file about that his moms kept about his bio dad. He tracked him down, wanting to reconnect.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

In our house the wedding took us by surprise. We also have no recall about Marisol. Mr. Jillybean usually remembers this stuff but we don't remember when she came into the picture.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Fran Drescher ("The Nanny") was married for 18 years to Peter Marc Jacobson, at which point he came out as gay (imdb.com/name/nm0414908/bio). 
In 2011 he produced a sitcom based on their marriage and his coming out, "Happily Divorced." 

Two of my former coworkers were hetero until their 30s (one male, one female). 

But, yeah, I think it's more common IRL than on TV.

My college roommate couldn't go 5 minutes without having a live-in boyfriend. The year after she graduated, she decided she was gay. I'm still not pretending to understand it.

17 hours ago, Jillybean said:

We also have no recall about Marisol.

I don't remember where she came from either. Was she Christopher's teacher? Or am I mixing her up with someone else?

• LOL 1
29 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't remember where she came from either. Was she Christopher's teacher? Or am I mixing her up with someone else?

That was Ana.

• Useful 2
On 4/14/2024 at 12:14 AM, shapeshifter said:

Two of my former coworkers were hetero until their 30s (one male, one female). 

I have a family friend who came out in his late 40s/early 50s after 20ish years of marriage and three kids. He’s married to a man now. (His ex-wife was deeply upset, though they’re okay now. The three kids are grown and there’s at least one grandkid. The three kids were teens when this all happened and were cool with their dad’s sexuality from jump.)

2 hours ago, eel2178 said:

That was Ana.

Did a relative of Eddie’s set them up or did I make that up?

26 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Did a relative of Eddie’s set them up or did I make that up?

The way I remember it is they had some animosity over how Chris was being treated at school, and then the sexual tension overwhelmed them (and underwhelmed me), and they suddenly decided to start dating.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1