Type keyword(s) to search

Quiet On Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV

• Start Topic

As a 90s kid who grew up with The Amanda Show, All That, and Drake and Josh, this was hard to watch. I certainly never connected any of the goofy things happening to anything sexual or inappropriate as a kid, but even at age nine I remember thinking that those All That dares were traumatizing. Looking back, some of those jokes were horribly cringe, those poor kids feeling like they didn't have a voice in what skits they do, at least in most adult skit shows actors usually have some input in what sketches they perform in. Knowing that things were even worse backstage makes it even worse to think back on, I very much remember thinking that being one of the Nick celebrities would be the coolest thing ever, its awful knowing how things actually were. Dan Schneider really is a piece of shit, I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that he was doing even more that hasn't been confirmed, especially regarding Amanda Bynes, there was clearly some nasty stuff happening there. 

I read Jennette McCurdy's book and while most of it is about her horrible abusive stage mom, she also talked a lot about Dan Schneider, who she always called "The Creator" and it lines up with what we heard here. He played favorites, was a control freak, had a short temper, and was extremely creepy and inappropriate with the young actresses on his shows. You look at him and I swear you can see him secrete slime. 

The fact that they had two sexual predators on a set filled with children is just insane, while I don't know if Dan hired those guys specifically because he knew what they were, I feel like shitty people tend to find each other and he obviously made an unhealthy environment where vulnerable kids were easy prey.  

Knowing what happened to Drake Bell explains so much, that was brutal to hear. Its so sad that he went through so many terrible things and it seems like he never got help, and then the cycle of abuse just continued. This doesn't excuse any of the awful things he has done, but it does give it a lot more context. 

Uggg shut up internet people. How can you watch a whole documentary series about how hard child stars had it and then proceed to bully them online for not responding to this clearly awful situation in a way that you like. People really do tend to forget that actors and celebrities' are real people who have actual feelings.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, cmfran said:

I still don't understand how a registered sex offender can legally work on a set filled with kids.

Right? Why even bother with those kinds of lists if nobody's going to abide by them?

There's also the fact that I've always felt if one's sex abuse crimes are the sort where you have to warn the public that they're out, and they're restricted in where they're allowed to go besides, that's...probably a sign they shouldn't, y'know, be out in the first place? 

• Like 6
On 3/18/2024 at 4:00 AM, ALittleShelfish said:

I didn't catch if they mentioned it or not, but I got the vibe that Brandi may... not be with us anymore?  I imagine there was a lot of pain and guilt and possibly some form of survivors' guilt - from both Brandi and her mom. 

I unfortunately got the same impression about Brandi. I hope it is not true. I was also thinking that maybe she didn't want to relive all that happened for the documentary and wants a life outside the public eye. 

• Sad 7

Its weird to me these things still happened without consequence at that time.  This was long after we knew what the Coreys and others had been through.  

I too feel some sympathy for Drake. I was too old for these shows and don't really know anything about him other than what I've read here.  It obviously doesn't excuse anything he may have done, but he does seem to be a redeemable person. He certainly needs to do the work though.

I didn't realize till after I watched, the Brian they were referring to was the other guy from Head of the Class.  I agree the other actors shouldn't have to make any public statements about what happened, but Robbins certainly should.  He needs to be held accountable, or he needs to be removed from his position.

Every single response from Schnieder is an obvious lie.  He's a pig. And I really have to wonder what happened to Bynes.  She seemed like a nice kid, and its certainly possible her issues are chemical or hereditary, but you can't help but think even if that were true, there were likely other factors involved in her downfall. I hope she finds peace.

• Like 11
(edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 9:13 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Drake’s interview…I have no words. And it’s really hard when my sympathy for him is tainted with knowing he went on to repeat the cycle and this is all he had to say about it.

His poor dad though. He knew something was up and tried to stop it.

I felt for his dad. He tried to protect him, but I wonder if a child can be truly protected at all in this industry? 

It's sad that Drake repeated the cycle, but unfortunately it is not uncommon. I hope he never repeats the behavior. 

I didn't realize Amanda Bynes was a big Nickelodeon star. I'm older so all this wasn't in my generation. This was difficult to watch. I was cringing at many of the scenes on shows that were obviously sexualizing these children. It was disgusting. 

On 3/18/2024 at 9:39 PM, hypnotoad said:

To be honest, I'm still burning with rage over the language in some of those letters. I mean my god! 'That poor adult who was pushed into temptation by a child he could no longer resist.' For shame people, for shame. Also? GROOOOOSSSS!

This made me so angry. I couldn't believe all the people who wrote those letters. I think many in the industry do protect these predators. It is sad. 

I've always wondered about Hayden Panettiere, who has had a lot of substance abuse and mental issues. I wonder if something happened to her too as a child actor. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 8
On 3/18/2024 at 10:14 PM, Annber03 said:

And of course Dan was shocked when Nickelodeon finally let him go. He'd become so used to getting away with his shit for so long, he never expected there'd be a day when he might actually face any sort of consequences for what he did. 

He seemed like Harvey Weinstein light to me. Entitled and drunk off his own power. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2

Drake Bell's mother can rot for all I care. She had been specifically warned about Brian, and she let Drake stay at his place over and over again? And getting a call from his girlfriend's mother, saying, "I'm taking your son to our family therapist because something is very wrong with this situation" wasn't enough of a wakeup call?

Drake strikes me as having a severe case of arrested development. I think he stopped maturing at the age he was when he was molested (which is common for people in that situation). Something is "off" about the way he talks - it's like he's still trying to sound like a kid. And it helps explain why he had inappropriate text conversations with a minor.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
22 hours ago, sskrill said:

I didn't realize till after I watched, the Brian they were referring to was the other guy from Head of the Class.  I agree the other actors shouldn't have to make any public statements about what happened, but Robbins certainly should.  He needs to be held accountable, or he needs to be removed from his position.

No, he was Drake's costar, playing Josh. That's why some people were expecting him to make a comment.

• Like 1
(edited)

There was Brian Peck, the molester, and Josh Peck, one of the stars of Drake and Josh. They're unrelated.

Brian Peck was not an actor from Head of the Class, although Dan Schneider was.

I think my biggest complaint about the documentary was the constant close-ups of Brian and Dan looking creepy as hell. We get it, they're vile people. I don't need to see their faces in extreme close-up over and over and over again.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Like 3

I was talking about Brian Robbins.  I was under the impression he had a long relationship with Schneider, and was one of the people in power who pretended not to see the fuckery going on in his own house.

Maybe I wasn't following the story properly.

On 3/26/2024 at 4:32 PM, DanaK said:

ID has greenlit an additional episode, called “Breaking the Silence”, featuring new insights and interviews. It will premiere on Sunday April 7 at 8pm ET. The doc series is now streaming on Max

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2024/03/26/id-greenlights-an-additional-episode-of-quiet-on-set-the-dark-side-of-kids-tv-featuring-new-insights-and-interviews-with-former-child-stars-including-drake-bell-863115/20240326id01/

I saw this today and made a mental note to watch the next episode. Interesting that they added one. 

• Like 2

I know that their is a lot of hate for Josh Peck lately but I also feel like I hate that Drake Bell could be in as much pain as I could tell that he's in and feel like he could take advantage of someone else and cause that pain to her. I think Josh also feels like when he got married a cause for celebration and joy Drake automatically made it about him that he wasn't invited. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
(edited)

The Dan Schneiders of the world, who identify most with children in an unhealthy way, are incredibly stunted and immature (and angry). I suspect Schneider approved the hiring of the other creeps because he was desperate for friends who would co-sign his behaviors. They were a Mutual Predation Society. They had influence and money, and there will ALWAYS be parents willing to sell to the highest bidder.

It's so difficult to understand the Drake Bells of the world. They deserve compassion for what they endured as children, yet they are loathsome as they practice the same predatory behaviors. As I watched him talk (and talk, and talk) I thought there were elements of performance and manipulation. He's learned all the media tricks.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 5
  • Applause 3
On 3/25/2024 at 8:51 PM, sskrill said:

I was talking about Brian Robbins.  I was under the impression he had a long relationship with Schneider, and was one of the people in power who pretended not to see the fuckery going on in his own house.

Brian Robbins and Dan Schneider co-starred in Head of the Class. Robbins and Schneider created All That and then Kenan and Kel.  Robbins is now the head of Paramount Pictures and he was at one time the head of Nickolodeon. So yeah, he and Schneider had a business relationship for some time.

I too expected a statement from him, unless the all encompassing generic statement they ran at the end of each episode was supposed to be it. 

• Like 4
(edited)

In one of the episodes of Zoey 101, the character of Logan is wearing a "One Night in Paris" T-shirt. Why?? There's zero chance Dan--or anyone at Nickelodeon--didn't know that was the title of a sex tape. 

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Mind Blown 6
On 3/18/2024 at 3:00 AM, ALittleShelfish said:

I only knew Dan from "Head of the Class" and didn't realize he was the same Dan Schneider/Nickelodeon. 

Same,  I’ve heard a lot of buzz about this documentary so I’m finally checking it out.  I’m shocked this is the Head of the Class guy, I actually really liked him on that show.  Wow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Jennie Garth has no interest in setting the record straight about her time working with former Nickelodeon producer Dan Schneider.

The “Beverly Hills, 90210” actor starred alongside Amanda Bynes in the WB sitcom “What I Like About You,” co-created by Schneider, from 2002 to 2006.

When asked by The Hollywood Reporter about her professional relationship with Schneider for an article published last week, however, Garth offered a notably blunt response.

“I don’t want to talk about Dan Schneider ever again in my life,” she said.

I saw this reported and found this quote very telling.

• Like 7
On 3/23/2024 at 5:24 AM, tennisgurl said:

As a 90s kid who grew up with The Amanda Show, All That, and Drake and Josh, this was hard to watch. I certainly never connected any of the goofy things happening to anything sexual or inappropriate as a kid, but even at age nine I remember thinking that those All That dares were traumatizing. Looking back, some of those jokes were horribly cringe, those poor kids feeling like they didn't have a voice in what skits they do,

I wasn't as much of a Nick-kid growing up (was more of a Disney Channel kid, and I'm also waiting for Disney Channel's own day of reckoning to come if what I'm hearing about the staff is true), but I remember watching some of their live action stuff like The Amanda Show and All That (specifically the 2002 season 7 revival starring Giovonnie Samuels). Watching episode 2 of Quiet on Set where I got to see Giovonnie, Bryan Hearne and Kyle Sullivan talk about their horrible experiences had a similar "hard to watch" effect on me, and it really made me look back on my childhood thinking, "How did I not catch this? How did I find this ever funny?" Hindsight is 20/20 I guess as they say, plus the fact that I was probably too young to catch all those innuendos, particularly by "Pickle Boy". I was always kinda slow when it comes to catching subtle details like that, so I took those jokes literally than saw the hidden and appalling metaphors they stood for. It was really surreal seeing Brian Peck in this new light during the viewing of the episode because out of all the things I vaguely remembered from All That, Pickle Boy was weirdly one of the things I remembered quite distinctly.

• Useful 1
On 3/29/2024 at 10:42 AM, ellekaelin said:

I know that their is a lot of hate for Josh Peck lately but I also feel like I hate that Drake Bell could be in as much pain as I could tell that he's in and feel like he could take advantage of someone else and cause that pain to her. I think Josh also feels like when he got married a cause for celebration and joy Drake automatically made it about him that he wasn't invited. 

Josh doesn’t deserve the hate he’s been getting. He didn’t do anything wrong, and he had his own issues to deal with. For Drake to play the victim about not getting invited (which, given the way he acted, Josh probably was justified in doing) was a real shitty thing to do.

• Like 6
On 3/25/2024 at 8:51 PM, sskrill said:

He did, and ultimately their production company Tollin/Robbins created not just all the major kids shows but a bunch of movies. Brian Robbins is currently CEO and President of Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon.

Brian Robbins Wiki

• Useful 2
13 minutes ago, Rlb8031 said:

He did, and ultimately their production company Tollin/Robbins created not just all the major kids shows but a bunch of movies. Brian Robbins is currently CEO and President of Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon.

Brian Robbins Wiki

Whoah! I thought Brian Robbins played the nerdy friend of Dan's character! 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

Whoah! I thought Brian Robbins played the nerdy friend of Dan's character! 

No, he was actually the cool kid/heartthrob of the bunch,

• Like 3
(edited)

Solead asking Drake if he's gotten letters of support this time around and being surprised he hasn't. Uh, why would anyone want to support someone who then committed CSA and DV?  Not to excuse Peck, however, his supporters did not have vast sources of information at their fingertips at the time. 

Edited by Scout Finch
7 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Brian Robbins Wiki

Wow, he was born the day JFK was killed.  That would be a trivia thing for him to throw out at parties.

14 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Solead asking Drake if he's gotten letters of support this time around and being surprised he hasn't. Uh, why would anyone want to support someone who then committed CSA and DV?  Not to excuse Peck, however, his supporters did not have vast sources of information at their fingertips at the time. 

I think she was asking if people like James Marsden and Joanna Kerns sent him letters of apology for supporting Peck. They should, IMO - it wouldn't mean that they support Drake's misdeeds.

The stars who wrote letters and testified for Peck didn't know how extreme Peck's abuse of Drake was, but they knew that Peck slept with a minor - and it seems that they knew that Peck knew that the boy was a minor.

And in some cases (like Joanna Kerns), they still tried to blame the victim.

Brian Peck must really be charismatic. But now matter how charismatic he is, it doesn't excuse Drake's mother. I don't care how manipulative Brian was - if your child's father tells you "I really think this guy is out to molest our son," you don't let your son sleep over at his house, period, under any circumstances.

• Like 7

I watched this over the last few nights and my word, I'm so disgusted and infuriated. 

I'm slightly too old to have followed any of these shows and I only recognized a handful of people (Amanda, Ariana, Jamie Lynn) but this entire "empire" should have been wiped out with a wrecking ball decades ago. Just as with Weinstein, the idea that no one knew what was transpiring on these sets is utter bullshit. You don't film a scene starring CHILDREN and then joke, "That's the c** shot." 🤮

They should all be in jail and for much longer than 16 months. 

• Like 6
15 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

I also feel really bad for Drake's dad. He knew something wasn't right and must have felt so helpless!

I did too, but I also caught that Drake said at the sentencing, that his side of the court only had him, his mother, and his brother.  I wondered why his dad wasn't there.  It does seem there was a bad estrangement for a while, and that it seemed to encompass the time Drake was going through the trial, and that's unfortunate.

• Like 3

I watched the bonus episode, and my big takeaway was that the two parents (Drake's dad and Bryan's mom) who were the most present and vocal about their children's well-being ended up being the two whose relationships were ruined directly by their children's involvement in this business. How crappy must it be for you to be doing everything to protect your child, and the outcome is that your child hates you for it. It was so heartbreaking to hear that Bryan didn't even realize that the source of his anger towards his mom were these feelings that she was responsible for him being fired from the show, until he saw the documentary.

He's clearly been in therapy for a while, and to never have understood that fact just goes to show how these kids get used to thinking that their parents being true advocates is somehow abnormal or shameful. I'm glad that both of them seem to be rebuilding those relationships as adults, but that lost time together is truly tragic.

• Like 10
On 3/18/2024 at 4:40 AM, Gharlane said:

I watched the first part and it ended past my bedtime. Is it on late to avoid children from seeing it? 

It’s streaming. It’s on anytime you want it to be.

1x3: The Darkest Secret

This got much, much darker than what I was expecting. I was under the impression that it was a one-time thing, perhaps Brian flashed his dick and whatnot to a young Drake. I didn't really follow the news on Drake Josh (besides the infamous "child endangerment" case I came across), so I was rather shocked to hear that Drake could have gone through something so vile and horrible and  it would still seem like this actor on a kids comedy had a mundane life. I mean, if something so traumatic had happened to me, I wouldn't be able to function normally in my daily life, let alone perform on any kind of TV show. Perhaps it's because he had something to escape to, as he mentioned, having fun on the set of Drake and Josh letting him forget the horrible nightmare that was his childhood, at least temporarily.

My abuse growing up was nowhere even close to any of the victims on the show, but I could definitely understand that escapism, even a brief escapism, from your abusive life, even years after the abuse has stopped. It gets stuck with you.

I couldn't imagine what it's like for Drake's father to just find out about something like that. I mean, if it's that shocking for the rest of us, it must have been like going through a living Hell learning about what your son had gone through. I believe he tried his hardest to protect Drake, but I doubt he felt the same way, thinking he could have done more.

You gotta love Drake's girlfriend's mother for being sharp as tacks. If it wasn't for her, god knows how much longer it would've gone on for.

Anyway, I just feel emotionally exhausted watching this episode. My heart sank when Drake said, "And it got worse, and worse. And worse." And I was like... I don't know how much of this I could take. And when Drake left it to the audience's imagination what acts could have taken place, I was already thinking that it must've been pretty nasty stuff. But goddamn... when the episode showed that the  freaking filming of child porn was involved, I was just speechless. It just goes to show how powerful these Hollywood elites really were to be able to be able to commit such a horrendous series of affairs and still get hired.

• Sad 3
On 4/8/2024 at 3:50 PM, Scout Finch said:

I believe this extra episode missed the mark. Soledad didn’t ask Drake about the girl he was texting. A lot of the other info. was already covered in the first four episodes. 

I can see why Dan Schneider may have supported teenaged Drake. Not necessarily because he was a good guy. Perhaps Dan was into underage girls not boys.

On 4/9/2024 at 7:13 AM, Blakeston said:

I think she was asking if people like James Marsden and Joanna Kerns sent him letters of apology for supporting Peck. They should, IMO - it wouldn't mean that they support Drake's misdeeds.

The stars who wrote letters and testified for Peck didn't know how extreme Peck's abuse of Drake was, but they knew that Peck slept with a minor - and it seems that they knew that Peck knew that the boy was a minor.

And in some cases (like Joanna Kerns), they still tried to blame the victim.

Brian Peck must really be charismatic. But now matter how charismatic he is, it doesn't excuse Drake's mother. I don't care how manipulative Brian was - if your child's father tells you "I really think this guy is out to molest our son," you don't let your son sleep over at his house, period, under any circumstances.

ITA!  No excuse for the mother in my mind. The father warned her. 

• Like 4

Another person who probably should have been interviewed about all of this is Nick Cannon. He began working as a writer for All That at a young age and he later was the head of Teen Nick around 2009. He had to be aware of some of the stuff that happened. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 2
(edited)
On 4/10/2024 at 4:09 PM, lasu said:

I did too, but I also caught that Drake said at the sentencing, that his side of the court only had him, his mother, and his brother.  I wondered why his dad wasn't there.  It does seem there was a bad estrangement for a while, and that it seemed to encompass the time Drake was going through the trial, and that's unfortunate.

I don't think Drake's father was even aware of it. When Peck was arrested, Darke's father told Drake he was glad he dodged the proverbial bullet.

On 4/10/2024 at 5:00 PM, Rlb8031 said:

I watched the bonus episode, and my big takeaway was that the two parents (Drake's dad and Bryan's mom) who were the most present and vocal about their children's well-being ended up being the two whose relationships were ruined directly by their children's involvement in this business.

Bonus ep? How many eps are there? 

On 4/14/2024 at 2:36 PM, Sweet-tea said:

I can see why Dan Schneider may have supported teenaged Drake. Not necessarily because he was a good guy. Perhaps Dan was into underage girls not boys.

That is exactly what I thought.

On 4/15/2024 at 1:08 AM, Angeleyes said:

Another person who probably should have been interviewed about all of this is Nick Cannon. He began working as a writer for All That at a young age and he later was the head of Teen Nick around 2009. He had to be aware of some of the stuff that happened. 

Another reason to despise Nick Cannon.

Edited by Gharlane
  • Useful 2
On 4/22/2024 at 4:24 AM, Gharlane said:

don't think Drake's father was even aware of it. When Peck was arrested, Darke's father told Drake he was glad he dodged the proverbial bullet.

Which is bonkers.  I really hope the mom didn't pressure Drake not to tell his father, because that's a pretty big secret.  Not just the abuse, but the fact he was going through a whole trial against his abuser.  They never said anything about when Drake's father found out, did they?  What a weird situation (among the awfulness, I mean.  It's just weird to not know your child is going through a huge criminal trial).

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Since Drake was still a minor, I wonder if she kept it from him to avoid the father fighting for full custody?

Drake was already 17 when Peck was charged and the trial took place a couple years later, so Drake was not a minor and custody wasn't an issue.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Notabug said:

Drake was already 17 when Peck was charged and the trial took place a couple years later, so Drake was not a minor and custody wasn't an issue.

Ah, my mistake. Thought he was younger then. Yeah, that wouldn't be an issue at that point, then.

59 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

Am I missing something here? At no point did I feel they accused Dan of being a child predator. They absolutely said there were jokes done on the show that were clearly sexual in nature and were inappropriate (which...yes), but no one I can recall said anything about Dan facilitiating sexual abuse by Brian Peck or the other guy - at least any more than any other exec who let them get work afterwards. I mean they even left in Drake's lines (which he repeated in the fifth bonus episode) on how Dan was the only one to reach out to him from the network after his abuse to see how he was or if he could help in any way. He's a creep, but not *that* particular brand of creep.

Just seems like he's trying to lash out now...I don't see how this suit holds up though. 

• Like 12
33 minutes ago, MsNewsradio said:

Am I missing something here? At no point did I feel they accused Dan of being a child predator. They absolutely said there were jokes done on the show that were clearly sexual in nature and were inappropriate (which...yes), but no one I can recall said anything about Dan facilitiating sexual abuse by Brian Peck or the other guy - at least any more than any other exec who let them get work afterwards. I mean they even left in Drake's lines (which he repeated in the fifth bonus episode) on how Dan was the only one to reach out to him from the network after his abuse to see how he was or if he could help in any way. He's a creep, but not *that* particular brand of creep.

Just seems like he's trying to lash out now...I don't see how this suit holds up though. 

Same.  I watched the five episodes and I never got the feeling he was a child predator who abused anyone.  But, I think they might be saying that the trailer is misleading??  I'm not sure.  But otherwise, I agree, and if anything it makes me wonder why he's freaking out so badly.

• Like 6

Also agreed that Schneider came across as a massive tool, but not a predator. While watching, I kept waiting for one of the kids to tell a story about how he had preyed on them, and it never came. Maybe he's bent out of shape about how badly Nick comes across, but he was in charge of these shows. He could have easily changed the toxic atmosphere, but instead, encouraged it. 

• Like 7

I never got the impression that Schneider was a pedophile either.  However, I did get the impression that he was often inappropriately sexual in the workplace like when he told the writer to read her script while pretending that she was receiving anal intercourse at the same time.    Or, when he approved gags and jokes that definitely crossed the line and were far more suggestive than they should've been for a kids' show.    That sort of behavior may well have given the predators the idea that they could stalk their prey rather freely on his sets since inappropriately sexual themes were something Schneider encouraged.

• Like 6
(edited)

I don't know, while it focused on his being awful to work for, it did portray him as crossing the line with kids and those jokes he made them perform, and they definitely seemed to imply a predatorial side to his relationship with Amanda Bynes. I can see someone coming away with the thought he was doing more then bad jokes and being a bad boss. That being said, he's splitting hairs and definitely taking the wrong message away from the show. Also; if you don't want to be painted as a predator, don't be creepy with your staff and make gross jokes for kids to perform.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Like 5
(edited)

Ex-Nickelodeon Exec Sues ‘Quiet On Set’ Producers For Defamation

TBH, I would not be surprised if he were more interested in girls and either didn't cross the line or no one has spoken about it.

On 4/23/2024 at 3:43 PM, lasu said:

Which is bonkers.  I really hope the mom didn't pressure Drake not to tell his father, because that's a pretty big secret.  Not just the abuse, but the fact he was going through a whole trial against his abuser.  They never said anything about when Drake's father found out, did they?  

I think it was shame that prevented Drake from telling his father he was the victim in the trial. As for when he found out, I think his father talked about how he felt in his interview.

Edited by Gharlane
  • Like 2

Denberg claimed that her first such encounter with Schneider came in 1995, shortly after her 19th birthday, when he called her into his office for a conversation that spiraled into him showing her a pornographic video of a woman performing oral sex on a donkey

She was 19?  That makes him a creep, and likely a predator, but not a pedophile as far as I know.

5 hours ago, cynicat said:

She was 19?  That makes him a creep, and likely a predator, but not a pedophile as far as I know.

Just because he hadn't physically touched her before she was 19 doesn't mean there wasn't some kind of implicit grooming that led up to this. 

• Like 3