Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E02: Spilling the JT

Pop Tart
  • Start Topic

Reminder:

No spoilers. If something happened after the show was filmed it belongs in a character thread or media thread. There is also a thread for WWHL appearances. 

Stay on topic.  If you want to discuss in detail any personal experiences or travel plans to SC, please do so in the Small Talk thread. 

After Shep’s monologue about the beautiful women he met on his trip, the twins, blah, blah, I don’t think he should have an opinion on who Taylor sleeps with.  Shep is a braggart who’s only accomplishments are sex related.

• Like 8
  • Applause 6

Olivia’s date seemed like the most well adjusted person this show has seen in a while. Something about Olivia bugs me and I can’t figure out what it is but I am annoyed every time she is on screen. 

JT can pack his golf clubs and get off my screen, he was super obnoxious and cringey to watch.

This episode did a piss poor job of trying to convince us that these two new randos - Rodrigo and JT- are actually friends to the existing cast and not just add-ons because we need some new characters with Austen, Shep and Craig repeatedly going off on their own to have actual conversations. 

It is super interesting to me that Shep, Austen and Craig do manage to repeatedly mend their friendship after having at least one nasty blowout every single season.  

• Like 18
  • Applause 1

JT is an annoying shit-stirrer. I mean, okay, I get that he was hired to fill a role to amp up the Scandovalesque drama between Shep-Taylor-Austen. I don’t really understand that if he’s supposedly in love with Taylor why he’s making such a big deal about Austen spending time with her, too—unless he thinks if Shep and Austen get so distracted fighting over Taylor there will be more of an opportunity for him to swoop in for coffee dates with her.

Speaking of dates, I really liked Olivia’s date, Rod. They had great banter together. He was funny and sweet the way he went out of his way to get gluten-free bread for their picnic and a vanilla blonde coffee for a non-vanilla blonde. He gave a glimmer of hope for the ladies that maybe the Charleston dating scene isn’t so dire after all.

Then again, maybe Rod was too suave, showing potential player tendencies—but at least he was sweet to Olivia, unlike when she was supposedly “dating” Austen they barely even looked at each other or interacted alone last season. I just can’t buy into the storyline of her being heartbroken over Austen leading her on because I never believed there was anything more than a fake showmance between them—just like Whitney and Naomi.

Contrast that with how Austen is with Taylor. He does light up when he sees her. Even when she was still dating Shep, he was always had a lot of empathy and caring toward her. Frankly, regardless of a potential one-night stand, I could see Austen and Taylor actually ending up living happily ever after together more than any other current/former couple on this show.

I really like Rodrigo. He seems normal and intelligent. Having a gay man in the group adds a nice balance to the band of womanizing dude-bros. Yet, JT seems even more “dude-bro” than the rest of them—but he’s apparently not getting any women. So, summing up my thoughts on the new guys… Rodrigo and Rod are a breath of fresh air and I’m looking forward to seeing more of them. JT can crawl back to whatever trash pile he scurried out from under.

• Like 9
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2

Who thought it was a good idea to make Madison the narrator?  Cameran's (sp?) narration worked because she avoided most of the drama and functioned more as a detached observer (but with an inside view.)

Why did JT go to London to watch the World Cup?  Wasn't 2022 held in Qatar?  When you are planted in front of a TV, it doesn't matter if it's in Charleston or London.  However, if he watched it in a pub to partake in the English bar crowd's energy/enthusiasm for the sport then I (kind of) get it.  But JT still has really douchey vibes.

• Like 11

Yuk.  A bunch of overgrown frat boys bar crawling in the middle of the day.  Is this their only source of income?  I know Patricia was recognized in the Art world in New York City, but she’s acting like she’s Royalty in Charleston.  She overdoes it telling Whitney how to sit properly.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2

I’m glad Madison is happily married and that scene of Brett and her son chasing each other with the water/paint (?) guns was cute. 
   I wonder if Shep is addicted to sex. I hope he uses protection as he’s due to get a STD. The numbers are not on his side not to going through all those random women. 
    The new Rodrigo friends looked uncomfortable. 

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Yuk.  A bunch of overgrown frat boys bar crawling in the middle of the day.  Is this their only source of income?  I know Patricia was recognized in the Art world in New York City, but she’s acting like she’s Royalty in Charleston.  She overdoes it telling Whitney how to sit properly.

Craig has his Sewing Down South store and pillow business. He has a law degree, and I think there is some injury law firm using his name, but I don’t think he’s actively practicing. Austen has his Trop Hop beer. But unless something changed off-screen he had a boutique brewer actually making the beer for him, which he markets as his own brand/company. Shep has “mailbox money” and lives off his family’s investments. Years ago he had a (hot dog, I think) restaurant, but that didn’t last long. So he’s the only one without a day job. Whitney was the original creator/producer of this show, but presumably he’s also living off family money and tinkering around with TV/music more as a hobby than working steadily to support himself. I’m not sure about the new guys yet—didn’t catch whether jobs were mentioned. Back to this episode, interesting that Taylor is trying to be a canned drink sales rep for a friend of Shep’s business but seemingly has no sales skills…other than providing said friend with a platform to get his drink on TV.

• Like 12

Was JT brought on and given lines to say in order to create drama?  His questions about Taylor seemed to come out of nowhere and who does that in front of friends?  I know, it’s TV.

It’s weird to see Taylor and Olivia as the main women in the show.  And Madison as the “settled down” one.🙄.  Except for her talking heads when her bountiful breasts were on display. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 5

I thought there was all kinds of "I didn't quit my job" protesting done by Taylor after that Europe trip aired?  I remember it coming up during the reunion, how bad an idea it was to quit your job for a guy, and she insisted she'd never quit?  Did I imagine that?

Strangely, Shep is acting more like the old Shep - laid-back, thoughtful, somewhat mature - than he has in two or three seasons, when he was rude, crude, and obnoxious to everyone.  Maybe he's finally starting to grow up a pinch?

• Like 14

Way too much JT -- first time cast member should be quiet like children, since he's scarcely bigger than them.  Wow they're going all-in on this stupid scandal thing.

At the first bar -- the whole bar crawl was for the purpose of filling an episode with this BS scandal talk -- you could tell Shep and Austin were giving fake takes with their facial expressions.

How many times did they do those takes until the producers were satisfied -- ooh, where there's smoke there MUST be fire!

And Austen being purposely evasive.  He didn't outright deny something happened, he just looked away, which according to Craig, looking down and left means he's lying!🙄

They got nothing else going on, except Madison's married life.  Even Andy seemed skeptical, Brett is a firefighter and he's rich?  He said something about other jobs and investments.

So Madison is apparently not taking hairdressing appointments any more, she's got so much time for herself at home, so she's gardening.  Maybe she should have kept the vibrator.

It occurs to me that a lot of the women didn't go to college.  They don't have real careers at all.  To be fair, neither do the men, though Craig is supposedly a lawyer.

But at least they seemed to have gone to college, if nothing else to be frat bros.

They have expensive clothes and can dress up nicely, like professional white collar women.  But none of them appear to be that.  In fact none of the women who've appeared on SC seems to have finished college and tried to establish professional careers.

Did they deliberately not cast professional women?  Were they not able to find any willing to be on the show?  I don't know the situation on other Bravo shows either.  They may be rich but the real housewives are mainly housewives, don't have careers apart from having some lucrative jobs derived from the TV shows and social media?

Or are viewers suppose to conclude that Southern women, at least in Charleston, are undereducated and mainly attached to well-off husbands or men who come from wealthy families like Shep?

Yes the men don't have real impressive careers either.  Austen with the dumb beer, that was mainly created to make him look like he was doing something.  He may earn most of his income from this stupid show.

Craig is supposedly a successful entrepreneur but it's derived again from this show.  People buy the pillows and go to his store because they saw it on this show.

They all get huge social media followings, because of the show.  Maybe some are really monetizing that well.  Not to the extent that the Cardassians have but they could get a tiny fraction of the money they make and they would be doing very well.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mandymax said:

I thought there was all kinds of "I didn't quit my job" protesting done by Taylor after that Europe trip aired?  I remember it coming up during the reunion, how bad an idea it was to quit your job for a guy, and she insisted she'd never quit?  Did I imagine that?

Strangely, Shep is acting more like the old Shep - laid-back, thoughtful, somewhat mature - than he has in two or three seasons, when he was rude, crude, and obnoxious to everyone.  Maybe he's finally starting to grow up a pinch?

Yes, that was definitely a storyline that Shep wanted Taylor to quit her job and travel, and she was adamant that she would never quit her job without a ring on her finger. But seemingly Shep convinced her (or she convinced herself?) that he was committed to taking care of her and marriage was forthcoming. But somehow I thought she was a nurse and not an orthodontic assistant, so maybe I’m fuzzy on this whole “career woman” storyline. 

Okay, I’m glad you said it first!! I was also starting to think what’s wrong with me that I’m getting “old Shep vibes” that he seems more handsome and charming again this year than he has been in a long time? Even Austen also seems like a “better version” of himself. Craig had already been on a positive trajectory since dating Paige. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m so desensitized by reality TV bad behavior, or—like you said—Shep is finally “growing up” after realizing his antics made him lose the only woman he’s ever really loved. But then he starts bragging about the twins and all of the women he met traveling and it’s like okay, Shep is gonna Shep! But there’s a glimmer of progress there!

• Like 5

I think we need to clarify a few things before this season unfolds (because it's clear the direction this is all going) to show how absolutely stupid this whole storyline is going to be:

#1 - Shep could give a rat's ass about Taylor - what she's up to, who she's sleeping with, etc. etc. 

#2 - Austen and Olivia NEVER dated.

Proceed. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
52 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

I think we need to clarify a few things before this season unfolds (because it's clear the direction this is all going) to show how absolutely stupid this whole storyline is going to be:

#1 - Shep could give a rat's ass about Taylor - what she's up to, who she's sleeping with, etc. etc. 

#2 - Austen and Olivia NEVER dated.

Proceed. 

The way you wrote this implies that Shep cares. Is that your intention? 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

The way you wrote this implies that Shep cares. Is that your intention? 

Very plausible that he's pretending to care, playing along for the narrative that they want to push this season.

If he didn't care about Taylor, since he broke it off with her, then it wouldn't matter if Austen slept with her.

But they have to make it seem like there are some consequential stakes involved, not only is it bro code but he still cares whom she is sleeping with, especially if it's within that supposed circle -- they don't seem to really socialize as much as they depict on the show.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

No, sorry for any confusion.  Shep does not care at all about Taylor, just like Austen and Olivia never dated. 

No problem. That's what I thought you meant. Shep is trying to play it off, yet he still acts jealous. I think production wants the latter from him. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mandymax said:

I don’t know how to explain this but Shep is exactly the kind of guy I would hate in real life but inexplicably find somewhat charming on TV so I will admit my bias here but I agree. He is still Shep which is problematic for a thousand reasons but he seems less hot headed and on edge, always spoiling for a fight than he has the past couple of seasons. Much more like the original more likable but still problematic Shep of earlier seasons. 

In the scenes at the party last week I thought he did maybe still care about Taylor a bit when he was asking about her trip and referencing the one they took together but then his lack of reaction to the Austen/JT stuff made me think he is obviously all the way over her and doesn’t care what happens at this point and is just playing along for the drama here. Guess we’ll see how it plays out. 

• Like 4

Wow, Taylor is the worst at sales.  Did she even know what she was supposedly pitching to Leva?   I'm rooting for Taylor to get her groove back, but she's still in the angry and betrayed phase.  I hope she soon gets to the phase where she realizes she has to put down all this angst to move forward and meet someone better for her.

Shep talking about how progressive it is for "girls" to want careers like it's a new thing was hilarious.   As were his views on lust and love being different...well, yes, they are!  Is he just now getting that?  I think he's afraid no woman will love him as unconditionally as he loves himself, and he really doesn't want to change his lifestyle for anyone, nor answer to anyone.

This thing with Taylor and Austen and Shep is messy.  I'm not sure if the whole thing is fake or just some of it.  I'm pretty sure Shep doesn't care about Taylor, and I don't think he cares about bro code, or he didn't when he slept with Katherine.

• Like 8
12 hours ago, JenE4 said:

But seemingly Shep convinced her (or she convinced herself?) that he was committed to taking care of her and marriage was forthcoming.

I thought he explicitly said that if they could survive the trip without killing each other they would get married.  Then he found an excuse not to.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
23 hours ago, kristen111 said:

IKR?!  And why are we still pushing this narrative that Whitney dates 22 yr old models and parties til 4am??  Boy Bye.

Jury still out on the new people.  The forced, fake, uncomfortable laugh Olivia was doing on her date made me feel like she doesn't know Rod at all.  He's from casting,  they didn't meet in a bar IMO.

Not sure if I like Madison narrating the season.   Throwing away the dildo gift seems out of character with who she is....

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

Yeah he's a producer so they can push whatever narrative he wants.  If he's really relying on mommy's money, it's pretty pathetic.

Even if he isn't, so far most of his scenes are with mommy so not a good look for a fifty something bachelor.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 9/22/2023 at 8:08 AM, TeeMo said:

Olivia’s date seemed like the most well adjusted person this show has seen in a while. Something about Olivia bugs me and I can’t figure out what it is but I am annoyed every time she is on screen. 

I so agree ! This season and last. 

Here is my take on Olivia: I think she is uncomfortable on camera and it shows. She is sort of acting, sort of authentic, at times. Wasn't she in California (pre this show) to try her hand at some acting, and failed? Not sure where I read that. She has an immaturity for 30 something. 

She is another generic pretty blonde girl, with blue eyes, long hair, thin, cute clothes, and southern etc. Parents have money thus a nice house. By the way, she said this season that her parents have moved to Houston. She still living in their house and wants to have a future party there. My theory is the parents didn't sell their SC house so Olivia would have a nice place to live and film the show. Be featured on the show.

I think she tried out for Southern Charm. She got the gig, and the first season she was "tasked" with having a fake on camera flirtation/almost relationship with Austen so she could have an introductory story line. It came across as so fake for both.

And she did NOT want to kiss Rod. I am not buying their flirtation, authentic meet up date in the park. 

And then there is this: she has an on-camera nervous mouth habit  - she constantly moves her tongue and smooths it over her top front teeth, as if clearing away food. It's annoying. Thus, I think she is uncomfortable on camera.

Lastly, little spoiled girl had to call her dad to find out what to do with dog poops in the yard ? He tells her to dump it in the river and she does ! She then proceeds to take the big shovel and dump the poops over the yard fence. And she says something like she thought the yard help was supposed to do that.  The help. Remind you of something ?

A 30 year old woman who has had family dogs presumably for awhile, has never had to pick up poops?

Lastly she is just plain boring. Nothing interesting about her. 

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Like 11
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1

Katherine, Cameron, Naomi were the show.   Too much Madison.  I know Craig invented the pillows, Austin had someone invent his beer, etc. , but all they show is the drinking.  No storylines.  The best cast is gone.  They are reaching now with uninteresting people and it’s not working.  Shep and Austin cannot hold the show.  They both are boring now, so is Madison.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1

They could have leased the house for Olivia, like they did for Kathryn that one season, where she was supposedly paying $6000 a month or something.  No she wasn't paying that, Bravo was.

These Bravo reality shows are more soap operas, marketed as "reality."

Ever since Laguna Beach, where they use nicer shooting techniques and lighting, hair and makeup, multiple takes, reality shows have become soap operas.

They've drifted far away from the pseudo-documentary style of the Real World, which had basic lighting, no hair and makeup for the cast and handheld cameras chasing the cast around different rooms.  Now they have stationary cameras and professional lighting, with the cast in hair and makeup and blocking and multiple takes.

They glammed it up and then in the process made scripted scenes not just more common but the baseline.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Bossa Nova said:

And then there is this: she has an on-camera nervous mouth habit  - she constantly moves her tongue and smooths it over her top front teeth, as if clearing away food. It's annoying. Thus, I think she is uncomfortable on camera.

From the beginning, there’s something going on with her jaw, and she’s very aware of it.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Katherine, Cameron, Naomi were the show.   Too much Madison.  I know Craig invented the pillows, Austin had someone invent his beer, etc. , but all they show is the drinking.  No storylines.  The best cast is gone.   Regarding Shep.  I think he was more embarrassed he used Taylor for over two years.  Her thinking it would lead to marriage.  Maybe he uses girls to his advantage, then dumps them, which seems the case.  He’s cute and funny, but I’m not liking him at all.

• Like 3

I'm all for Madison settling down and Brett sure is cute, but no way is it going to work long-term with him in CA and her in SC. If he works three days and is off eight, that's about six seven-hour plane rides/month, not including time in the airport. Wonder if he's one of those guys with a girl in every port? 

Edited by wallies
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Brett might have been cast.  May be a fake marriage for the show.

On WWHL, Andy seemed dubious, he was a rich firefighter.

Then Brett mumbled something about other jobs and investments.  Not very convincing.

• Like 5

I think I like Rodrigo only because he called Austen a douche lol.

JT seems like a total bullshitter. I don’t really believe anything he says.

Madison is just so lame. She’s trying so hard to be this fake perfect little wife and it’s such a lie. She’s definitely had a dildo before and has seen one. Pls what a joke.

Shep is an idiot.

I like Craig. I don’t know why I just do.

Leva and Venita are boring.

Olivia’s dating life? No thanks. I don’t even believe she had a real relationship with Austen anyways. She’s so boring to me.

Edited by Marley
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, snarts said:

Brett has money from somewhere or Madison wouldn't have married him. I'm convinced that was her issue with Austen, he wasn't rich enough. You know Patricia's been in her ear, teaching her to marry up. They moved into a $1.5M Charleston house last year while stating that Brett still owns a home in California.

If Brett is rich through, why would they lie about how he's rich.  Fireman is better than if he came from a wealthy family like Shep?

But the thing about him being in CA so he's not always around, that must be an excuse so that Madison is seen by herself or being with the other cast members this season.

Some reality shows have cast pretending to live somewhere but they just fly in to shoot the season, like Sieta Key.  That show also had fake relationships.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, aghst said:

On WWHL, Andy seemed dubious, he was a rich firefighter.

Then Brett mumbled something about other jobs and investments.  Not very convincing.

Madison was dating him for a couple of years according to her Instagram. But it's possible the marriage was rushed in November, just before filming for this season started in January. 

Edited by ZettaK
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, snarts said:

Brett has money from somewhere or Madison wouldn't have married him. I'm convinced that was her issue with Austen, he wasn't rich enough. You know Patricia's been in her ear, teaching her to marry up. They moved into a $1.5M Charleston house last year while stating that Brett still owns a home in California.

They most probably got a loan (mortgage), they didn't pay cash for the house. Such loans are normal around here, and are given to many people. Brett probably has a mortgage in California, as well. That's the first time Madison, and Brett said he is a firefighter. She said he did something else before. Who claimed he is rich? Madison? 

I don't see how they will continue living like this. The show won't continue for too long, and they will have to decide where to live, if they last for that long, of course. His job is in California, but why doesn't he try to find employment in South Carolina? 

• Like 2

JT is fighting hard to become a regular on the show.

Madison needs to stop saying she is a veritable Martha Stewart while she cooks ramen noodles for her son. 

Tell me again why Patricia thinks Madison is so great.

I'm not interested in Madison's boring life. Or Olivia's. Taylor is a train wreck, so Bravo hit the lottery.

• Like 9
23 hours ago, aghst said:

I absolutely think they have an arrangement, or one of them has an agenda. I swear I read a blog post somewhere that Brett works for his family business that his parents or mother controls. There was no mention of firefighting.

The relationship is too random and the scenario doesn't hold up with the story constantly changing. It happened very fast after the A-Rod debacle. Madison zipping over to Mexico to marry in a ceremony nobody attended? Not what she would want without a good reason. And I believe Brett's family are practicing Mormons.

Last year I speculated that Madison would like to be on one of the CA housewives shows and is trying to angle for that so she can shoot in LA. The big difficulty there would be her child, who was raised in SC and has an involved father there.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, snaky Madison is up to something.

JT is that little annoying dog your friend has, where you have to pretend it's cute, when the whole time, you're hoping he goes and bugs the other people at the party.

The thing that's missing from these people, that we all loved in Season 1, is that they have no real lives.  They have Bravo money now, so they can be Peter Pans forever.  Austen had an actual job when he was first on, now it's one beer to the next, one girl to the next.  Shep even had that dive bar he owned, and he finally was in a stable relationship, but now it's braggy-braggy about twins in a foreign country.

And the girls are no better.  Cameran found her love and her life, and moved on, as did Chelsea and maybe a few others.

Pat hangs in there, because why not.  Caftans, martinis, and a new butler, and she's just fun to watch.  But Whitney is turning out to be no different than the rest of the men:  aimless, moving from one bobblehead model to the next.

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Nor the ability to engage in intelligent, lively conversation.

How many of them went to and finished college?

Not that it's required for interesting conversation but maybe would make them more inclined to read as well as have some domain knowledge.

They're older than the VPR cast but maybe not much more educated or well-ready or knowledgeable, even self-taught.

Edited by aghst
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I mean she dodged a bullet because even if he did marry her he would cheat constantly. She seems dim-witted.

She dodged a bullet, and she is not intelligent. She was also a disaster trying to promote that drink.

46 minutes ago, aghst said:

How many of them went to and finished college?

Not that it's required for interesting conversation but maybe would make them more inclined to read as well as have some domain knowledge.

They're older than the VPR cast but maybe not much more educated or well-ready or knowledgeable, even self-taught.

All the guys of the main cast have college degrees, but not all of the women do.

Edited by ZettaK
  • Like 3
59 minutes ago, ZettaK said:

She was also a disaster trying to promote that drink.

I don’t understand why a bar that likely charges premium prices for fresh cocktails would want to offer canned versions that anyone could buy at a liquor store.  And she said um at least once every sentence.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, ZettaK said:

All the guys of the main cast have college degrees, but not all of the women do.

The stunningly banal conversation is not due to lack of higher education. Madison & Venita are seemingly the only ones without a college degree, and they both went the professional certification route. 

• Olivia  - Clemson University
  • Taylor - Appalachian State University
  • Venita - College of Charleston Culinary School
  • Craig - College of Charleston, undergrad & Law School
  • Shep - University of Georgia & Vanderbilt University
  • Austen - University of Alabama
  • Whitney - George Washington University & Oxford University
  • Leva - South Carolina State University
  • Madison - Carolina College of Hair Design  

I have a hard time blaming them for the peter pan syndrome. I know if I could get paid $200+k/year to day drink & gossip, I most definitely would :)

Edited by snarts
  • Like 6
  • Useful 3