Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Labor Day

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

After the first three episodes I skipped ahead to this one just to see if ANY advance in time has happened, and…nope. Charmaine has been pregnant since 2019. Two thousand NINETEEN! I think I’ve officially bowed out of this show.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 8
5 hours ago, meira.hand said:

I did watch the ten episodes and was glad they managed to close some of the more annoying arcs but then they crammed FOUR!! soap opera type cliff hangers in the last ten minutes before the winter break.

Yeah, I rolled my eyes pretty hard at that. I wish they’d follow soap opera time logic and have Charmaine go on a two-episode vacation, then return with a couple of 5-year-olds even though it’s only been two weeks for everyone else, and no one bats an eye.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

I like Muriel and Cameron and Brie and Mike. Preacher finally has a romantic partner with some semblance of staying power. Like Mel has a friend. All good things. 

The drug storyline was awful. I hate Brody. Why’d they bring back Charmaine? She has to no longer pregnant with the time jump, right?!?!?

• Like 2

Jack and Preacher, UGH.

Jack is obsessed with babies and marriage but doesn't seem to have thought through what either of those mean for his life. He's also condescending toward Mel about her feelings about carrying a baby. As well as explaining that you can build a family in a different way and it's still a family. As if Mel has no idea.

It also irritated me that Jack was immediately talking about trying again before Mel had even physically recovered from the miscarriage and D&C. Slow your roll, dude.

Preacher is so desperate for a partner than he shrugs off Kaia's "me being separated was a secret I wasn't ready to share" instead of seeing it for the giant red flag that is is. A secret is thinking It's a Wonderful Life is overrated, not being separated and dating someone else. Also, Kaia trying to sneak out without saying anything? Another giant red flag.

Brady is a hot mess, but I feel like he's trying to be a better person. It's always one step forward, two steps back with him, but he doesn't pretend to be someone he's not.

Mel didn't even bring Jack a cupcake from the clinic!

LOL that Virgin River is still recovering from devastating wildfire damage, but the town can still put oil a lavish Labor Day carnival.

Add me to the list of those who didn't need to see Charmaine again. I was sure seeing Calvin would send her into labor, so at least that cliché was skipped.

• Like 6
On 9/10/2023 at 12:29 PM, dubbel zout said:

LOL that Virgin River is still recovering from devastating wildfire damage, but the town can still put oil a lavish Labor Day carnival.

Charmaine has been pregnant since 2019. How many carnivals has the town had in those seven months?

• LOL 3
On 9/11/2023 at 4:51 PM, MaryHedwig said:

Charmaine has been pregnant since 2019. How many carnivals has the town had in those seven months?

All of them. They have had All The Carnivals. I swear, everyone in Virgin River is either a drug dealer or a party planner. Or a drug-dealing party planner.

• Like 3
  • LOL 8

Ugh, so now Lizzie is pregnant? What is it with these writers, and their obsession with pregnant women? I assume that Muriel is past child bearing age, but with these writers I wouldn't count on it. 

Also, who is Lizzie Chief of Staff to? Does Hope have a bunch of employees at  town hall that we have never seen? Or is Lizzie Chief of Staff to...well...Lizzie? 

Does anyone else think that Jack will end up being the bio dad of Charmaine's twins after all? And that something will happen to Charmaine, and Mel and Jack will end up raising the twins? Of course though, none of those things will happen for at least a few more seasons, so lots of time to speculate. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
9 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Also, who is Lizzie Chief of Staff to?  Does Hope have a bunch of employees at town hall that we have never seen? 

To Hope. The title is just a fancy way to say Lizzie is Hope's assistant. I don't have a problem with than when it's just the two of them. And it makes this a bit more formal when Lizzie is dealing with other people.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

To Hope. The title is just a fancy way to say Lizzie is Hope's assistant. I don't have a problem with than when it's just the two of them. And it makes this a bit more formal when Lizzie is dealing with other people.

Lizzie does not have anyone she is overseeing, and anyone who deals with her would know this. Virgin River is a tiny place. Executive assistant would be a more fitting title, if Hope felt like just calling her an assistant did not sound important enough. But then it isn't Hope who came up with the title that didn't fit, its the writers. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
On 9/11/2023 at 4:51 PM, MaryHedwig said:

I'm still not over all the professional quality Renaissance Faire costumes everyone just happened to have tucked away in their closets.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Also, who is Lizzie Chief of Staff to? Does Hope have a bunch of employees at  town hall that we have never seen? Or is Lizzie Chief of Staff to...well...Lizzie? 

I thought she was Hope's Chief of Staff, but since a town as small as Virgin River* would never have a paid mayor, I'm guessing Lizzie's getting paid peanuts from the bar.  Not exactly a "real" job worth what's his name giving up Stamford (?) for.

*  My guess given the evidence is population about 1033

So who wrote the storyline - an AI?

Charmaine pregnant so long and that it's Calvin who is the father of the twins?!?! Yeah she sure knows how to pick them.

Mel wants a baby but can't have one.  Lizzy is too young to have a baby.  Yeah right.  

Mel wants Jack and herself to buy the farm. With what money? Didn't Jack dump all his money in the glamping business which is now tied up with the police due to the drug bust?  

Mel's mother visited Virgin River (of course she did - *eye roll*) and had a love affair which resulted in Mel.  Watch how show will try to convince us it's Doc for the whole 2nd half of the season and then reveal it's the guy that was mayor for 2 seconds.

The reasoning Rose gave for with holding Doc's son from him was utter bull crap.  

Poor Preacher - hopefully he gets the girl and the secret of the body stays secret. For goodness sake Preacher, you need to dig deeper for a grave. 

I guess they are trying a May/December thing with Muriel (who is 60) and Cameron (who is in his 40's). 

At this point it's pure hate watching.

Edited by greekmom
  • Like 3

So my guess is that the showrunners have heard a lot of complaints from the book enthusiasts, and they are trying to "fix" some things.

In the books:

Spoiler

Jack and Mel have at least 2 kids of their own naturally, and then become background characters.  They only live in Hope's cabin for a short time; Jack buys land from a farmer and builds them a big house with a great view on the side of a mountain.  So is buying the farm the show's way of fixing this?

Brie and Mike get together and are the ones to live happily ever after from the start.  There isn't even a character named Brady.

Lizzie is younger (16, I think?) and she gets pregnant right away, but with Ricky's baby.

Paige and Preacher have their happily every after with Christopher, who is 3 years old, not 10, when they meet.  I assume that the actress playing Paige couldn't stay?

Hope is such a minor character that she barely says a word.

I quit reading after about 4 or 5 books I think, because each book focuses on a new character and love story, and they are all just lather, rinse, repeat. Jack's buddies from the marines are all these perfect men who can't find love until they come to Virgin River...  ::eyeroll::   

The show is so extremely different from the books that they shouldn't even share a title.  But I get the impression that there have been complaints, and on more than just the horrid pacing of the show. ::shrug::

• Like 3
10 hours ago, greekmom said:

Mel's mother visited Virgin River (of course she did - *eye roll*) and had a love affair which resulted in Mel.

Is there any back story for this? Did Mel accept the job offer at Virgin River because her mother had raved about what a lovely place it was?

On 9/8/2023 at 12:16 PM, sharifa70 said:

After the first three episodes I skipped ahead to this one just to see if ANY advance in time has happened, and…nope. Charmaine has been pregnant since 2019. Two thousand NINETEEN! I think I’ve officially bowed out of this show.

Wait a minute-- WHAT?!  I just stumbled upon this, and I stopped watching after Season 2, but always wondered if Charmaine ended up having the babies/if they were Jack's after all, etc.  Reading now that she is STILL pregnant boggles the mind, and reaffirms my choice to have stopped watching.  That is unbelievable!  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Well, that isn’t easy for a show that has a character who has been pregnant for 5 years, but I would say screen time with another character where things about Muriel having a life outside of baking things for Doc are revealed. 

• Like 1
On 9/10/2023 at 9:17 PM, Pallida said:

With fireworks! 

THIS!!  The episode includes Kaia’s role on the fire cleanup crew (so there wasn’t a time hop) but the writers just couldn’t resist the romance of fireworks. Hard eye roll…

Edited by Cancun
  • Like 1

I think I'm annoyingly fixated on the wildfire portrayal. I've gone to Reddit to see further snark/commentary, and someone there claimed to be a lifelong Californian and appreciated that the intensity of going through a fire was shown, and I'm trying to figure out the divergence of opinions. I grew up in CA and my family still lives where the Tubbs fire occurred in 2017 (my family was all good, but my brother has friends who lost their homes), and I now live in OR and was in communication with a friend who was actively going through the Almeda fire in 2020 and who is STILL working on recovery efforts in the community. Maybe I'm just too close to the topic, and I'd love to hear if others thought it was a good portrayal of wildfire and community fear. 

Acting like Hope would know more about evacuation plans than CalFire was so frustrating! All they had to do was say that the town plan was to help vulnerable people in "get ready" zones and it wouldn't be Hope is the Hero garbage.

A wildfire like that wouldn't be contained enough in 24 hours for evacuees to then go back to their homes like they seemed to portray. Time is weird in Virgin River though, so maybe I misunderstood that.

Assuming that the river was absolutely going to prevent fire was naïve at best. That river isn't that wide, especially by the bar, and part of the reason that the West coast fires spread so far is because winds pick up embers and blow them across distance. Is it less likely to jump? Sure, but to be soooooo shocked that it jumped was just silly.

I don't know enough about air water brigades to know if random community members could just go wild and dump water without coordinating with CalFire, but it seems implausible.

I realize this isn't specific to this episode, so I apologize if I've gone off topic too far. 

• Useful 1

How in the world did Charmaine hook up with Calvin? 

I imagine the "Special Holiday Edition at Virgin River" will be every bit Hallmarky as they can get.  Will a new character show up with the name Christopher Kringle?  I see him more as the father of the twins than Calvin. 

This season I literally slept through the majority of the season up to the fire.  Apparently the writers did too as they threw everything against the wall with the last 4 episodes.  

• Like 1

I'm trying to power through, but I don't like a single character in this show.  Or the ridiculous timeline (Charmaine has been pregnant for 4 months or 5 years, the town recovered from a fire in one minute).  Or plot lines. And am I the only one who notices the lack of interracial relationships?  Preacher, the only poc main character,  only is allowed to date other poc (Paige, the karate woman, kaia)  Otherwise there's lizzie and Denny (the actor is part Japanese), and that's it, no?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, HappyHanna said:

I'm trying to power through, but I don't like a single character in this show.  Or the ridiculous timeline (Charmaine has been pregnant for 4 months or 5 years, the town recovered from a fire in one minute).  Or plot lines. And am I the only one who notices the lack of interracial relationships?  Preacher, the only poc main character,  only is allowed to date other poc (Paige, the karate woman, kaia)  Otherwise there's lizzie and Denny (the actor is part Japanese), and that's it, no?

I’m not particularly bothered by Preacher only dating other women of color (Lexia Doig, by the way, is Filipina/Caucasian so that does make them an interracial couple). If by “interracial” you mean we haven’t seen him dating Caucasian women, it could be the writers but we don’t know Colin Lawrence’s own preferences. Denzel Washington famously won’t have on-screen relationships with white women out of respect for his large fan base of Black women and the Hollywood history of treating Black women as less desirable. I’m fine with Preacher being paired with other poc. I’d be fine with him being paired with a white woman, but I don’t think there’s anything to it that he hadn’t been so far. Writers who keep a woman pregnant with the same babies for five years just aren’t capable of any kind of nuance beyond “hey, Preacher needs a girlfriend.”

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 9/18/2023 at 4:23 PM, Quickbeam said:

I just can’t with the Muriel/Cameron story line. Nope. It’s Harold and Maude all over again.

I was thinking about their age difference (which in real life is like 15 years) and that,  well,  in reverse we have Jack and Mel. But then I looked up their ages and, well, I guess Martin Henderson is aging a little harder than I thought.  😲

• LOL 1

The carnival seemed over the top when they had so much devastation.  Who paid for the carnival? Fireworks in firezone and still rebuilding?

Brady is better off with the new girl and her daughter than Brie that never really gave him chance to believe in him.

Kaia running out to leave for a month and Preach still thinks she's good? 

Preach hopefully will cover up the body still and she does not figure out. 

Another pregnancy?  Lizzie will be pregnant until 2029.  Hopefully it's just a fake out about Denny since she said "I think" right when he wanted to leave for school. 

Mel and Jack are affording the farm how? But at least it's something they're going to build and Lily's farm will go to people she loves. 

I could have done without Charmaine. Calvin really? She should have just stuck it out with the rich husband. 

Good for Doc trying the trial. 

There's no name or return address on these love letters? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

There's no name or return address on these love letters? 

Of course not! I always drop letters in the mail with no salutation, no signature, and no address. It gets pretty expensive though, when I have to keep buying all those magazines only to cut them up, but that’s love, amirite?

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

Another pregnancy?  Lizzie will be pregnant until 2029.  Hopefully it's just a fake out about Denny since she said "I think" right when he wanted to leave for school. 

It's the chance for another plot line since Danny has Huntington's.  The Do We or Don't We debates aboutt abortion.

On 9/25/2023 at 2:15 PM, dubbel zout said:

An appropriately snarky roundup of gaspy moments from this season: https://www.vulture.com/article/virgin-river-season-5-gossip-recap.html

Thanks for that. Reading the synopses reminded me of how quickly several of the plots were resolved. For instance, we were at E9, and I figured it couldn't all be wrapped up by E10 -- esp the drug plot -- but lo and behold, it was. 

My sister kept remarking on the age difference betw Muriel and Cameron, but after checking the actor's ages, I pointed out that the gap was less than betw my (late) husband and myself. (He was the older one.) Bugs me that there's such a big deal when the woman is older, but not when the man is. 

I don't know if I'll watch more of this show. Depends on what else is on, I guess. Is this coming back in November? Well, maybe I'll check it out. I admit I'm curious who Mel's dad is. I don't like Preacher and Kaia, or Brie and Mike. Lizzy and Denny are fine, though boring. Hope is almost always irritating. It really is all very soapy. Not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

Why can't Charmaine just be gone and stay gone? If there is any character on this show that is insignificant, it's her. The twins aren't Jack's, we can all move on. But now that she's wrapped up with Calvin, all hell will break loose again and we'll have to suffer with more Charmaine. 

I like Brie with Mike and Brady with the new girl. Those pairings seem more complimentary to each other. 

Preacher had a perfectly lovely woman with the do jo (?) teacher that he stupidly broke up with for Paige. And now he's with Kaia and her mess. That man walks straight towards red flags. 

Jack and Mel buying the farm was pretty predictable, but at least Lily's legacy is in good hands. And it gives them more space than the cabin.

A lot happened this season with very little time passing. I really don't understand the writers having 5 seasons last within one calendar year. One good thing about the upcoming Christmas special means that some point soon, maybe at the start of season 6, the show will finally be in a new year. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, funnygirl said:

One good thing about the upcoming Christmas special means that some point soon, maybe at the start of season 6, the show will finally be in a new year. 

Nah, it’ll all be a Hallmark Christmas dream and all five seasons will disappear when Mel wakes up from her long train ride to start her job in Virgin River.

• LOL 4

We spread this season out, I actually didn’t realize that it was coming back so soon. 

I really like Muriel & kid doctor. She’s a great character, & she finally has a decent storyline. He’s pretty, & they compliment well. I’m glad she’s living out her goldenish years with a younger stud. 

Charmaine can go, Preacher is one of my faves, but his gotta-save-every-damsel-in-distress schtick is tiring, I still love Doc, & I love looking at Jack, so I’ll stick around, but mostly for Muriel getting her groove back.

• Like 2

Finally finished slogging through this season.  I'm with the poster above who said she hates everyone on the show.  The exception is Muriel who finally gets a juicy storyline.  Good for her for having a fling with the cute but vapid younger man!

Man, the actress who plays Kaia must have been really young when she was on Battlestar Gallactica.

On 9/14/2023 at 8:09 AM, greekmom said:

Lizzy is too young to have a baby.

If she's anything like Charmaine she'll be at least 24 by the time she gives birth.

On 10/13/2023 at 8:17 PM, funnygirl said:

Why can't Charmaine just be gone and stay gone?

I'm convinced her reappearance and the babydaddy reveal is setting up that somehow Jack and Mel are going to end up with the babies.  Because of course they will.  Jack kept talking about adoption and other methods of building a family.  This is how they get theirs.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

This is off topic but I don't know where else to post it. Hoping someone can answer my question........

On this Virgin River forum, some time ago, I clicked on "Mark site read". For some reason, this is the only forum that does not have the thread titles in BOLD when there is new postings. I have no way of knowing which threads have new posts in them on this Virgin River forum.

I read other forums on the Primetimer site, DWTS for one, and that forum works properly. I cannot figure out how to undo the "Mark site read" for the Virgin River forum.

Thank you.

Strange. For me, the unread threads here ARE bold. I'll add that The Great British Bakeoff forum is always yellow (indicating unread threads within), but sometimes when I go in, there are no unread threads. I've gotten into the habit of clicking Mark Unread before I leave the forum.

Sorry I can't help.

I'm expecting Balsam Hill to be front and center in the next episodes. I don't think those decorations in the preview came from Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

Cameron, Melissa, Tara and Bert and others have been busy cranking out Hallmark Christmas movies in the mean time.

3 more days....