Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

My job here is to make everyone else feel better about their scores.
Mission accomplished!
Week 38: 0/5

Donuts give me heartburn, but virtual donuts are heartburn and calorie free, and while we're at it, let's have ’em chocolate glazed with imaginary real dark chocolate:

Chocolate-Glazed-Air-Fryer-Donuts-thumbnail.jpg

• Like 2
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Week 38: 2/5 with one *
YTD: 93/190 (49%) with 8*

Mendel* and Magellan

In honor of Mendel, I will bring peas.

image.thumb.png.1d1235d9eb9cfb333610d2cf7d0ed602.png

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 3

Week 38 – May 27 – Two Asterisks
186.     *FEMALE SINGERS - In December 2023 she became the oldest solo artist, at 78, to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart, with a song she recorded in 1958 (Brenda Lee)
187.     *EUROPEAN SCIENTISTS - On the 2022 Bicentennial of his birth, the body of this man was exhumed & DNA used to determine his genetic afflictions (Mendel)
188.     HISTORIC GEOGRAPHY - This city attracted thousands of visitors even before a new shrine to a murder victim was dedicated there July 7, 1220 (Canterbury)
189.     AMERICAN BANKING - Around 1930 a bank named for this NYC area known as a slum was the USA's largest savings bank by total deposits (the Bowery)
190.     HISTORIC PEOPLE - An island near Cebu City has a statue of Lapulapu & a monument to this man that Lapulapu is said to have killed in 1521 (Magellan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Crawling out from my dark cave to post a sad 0/5 score for the week...

A massive storm and power outage left me without electricity (and internet!) for the last 4 days. We only got our electricity back this afternoon, by which time we were blinking like newborn moles against the sudden onslaught of light. In the meantime, we were lucky enough to have a portable generator, which we used to power the refrigerator along with a brief daily TV break for the evening news and Jeopardy. (Priorities!) 

Which is a long story to explain why my performance was so pitiful. I couldn't see the clues. If you buy that, then you will also enjoy the stumpy leftover candles I will bring to this week's gathering. I would also bring the leftover wine, but I don't have any. It was a long week, y'all.

• Hugs 10

2/5 1*

Thanks to watching Almost Paradise I knew Cebu City is in the Philipines so figured Magellan was a good guess.  I was still surprised that it was right.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I managed one - through a meandering trip starting in Mecca and Medina, then wandering up to Great Britain, thinking, wait - that's probably More...what's that cathedral again? Winchester...no, oh, Canterbury! I was gobsmacked that I was right!

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

1/5* (Brenda Lee)

The week started off perfectly... I was sizzling! Then... fizzle.

Bringing swizzle sticks. BYOB.

• Like 4

2/5 with no *.  Canterbury popped into my brain due to something I had seen on Britbox last week (don't ask what - totally can't remember).  Magellan was a wild guess after rejecting Cook as being later and further west. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

1/5 (Mao today)

Although Mary Poppins was an instaget after the answer was revealed. Should have had that one 😞

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Week 39 – June 6 – One Asterisk
191.     *COLLEGES - Of the Seven Sisters colleges, this one located in a place of the same name is the farthest south (Bryn Mawr)
192.     FICTIONAL CHARACTERS - This character in a series of popular books begun in 1934 promises, "I'll stay till the wind changes" (Mary Poppins)
193.     BRITISH PLACES - This city owes much of its early history to a temple dedicated to Sulis Minerva & a "sacred spring" found there (Bath)
194.     U.S. HISTORY - Challenged in a courtroom that same year, 1925's Butler Act in Tennessee outlawed this activity & wasn't repealed until 1967 (teaching evolution)
195.     WORLD LEADERS - During a 1972 presidential visit, Richard Nixon discussed a poem by this leader called "Ode to the Plum Blossom" (Mao Zedong)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Week 39: 4/5, 1 *.  

Bringing an assortment of tapas (Eurofood, Monday); hoping everyone loves garlic.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

2/5

Staying home with my lovely summer cold :-(

(If you insist I join the party, I'll bring virtual Buckleys)

• Hugs 6

June 3

Week 39: 3/5, no *

YTD: 80/195, twelve *

Best week in quite some time! 

I love garlic! I'll bring olive tapenade with toasted baguette siices!

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

4/5 with no * - I have never known enough details on the Seven Sisters to even hazard anything but a wild (wrong) guess.  Mary Poppins was the very first movie a young Grundoon was taken to by the parental Grundoons so I was sure on that one.  The rest of the week was somewhat confident guessing. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

Week 40: 3/5
YTD: 100/200 (50%) with 8*

Because the Ferris wheel (which I did not get) makes me think of carnivals and amusement parks, I'll bring cotton candy.

So Good Wow GIF by NBC

• Like 4
  • Applause 1