Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Week 18:  2/5 (W, Th)

I guess I'll bring some Pop Tarts as that was one of my two correct answers. I think some may be disappointed though, as my favorite variety is Brown Sugar Cinnamon, which are untrusted. 

It never occurred to me that this was a typo, I spent considerable time wondering why a pop tart flavor would be untrusted...was there something in the news I hadn't heard about?....

1 hour ago, Trey said:

1/5, back to my usual table. 

Ah, we all spend time at that table...well, at least I do, anyway.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Week 18:  3/5    Overall:  52/90 (58%)  4*   

BTW, I, too, like the Brown Sugar Cinnamon variety of Pop Tarts, but I believe they are indeed frosted.   (several minutes later) Just looked a package and it says (in tiny writing) Frosted (then in regular type) Brown Sugar Cinnamon. Is there also a non-frosted variety?

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Re: the above: Not all varieties are available everywhere (assuming it isn't a seasonal variety). So it's possible my store just doesn't carry it. On a related (sort of) note...I've been trying to find Duncan Hines Orange Cake---which the website indicates is available in several grocery stores near me (I'm in Chicago)--but they don't seem to actually carry it (no "blank space" where it would be if it just sold out). I've seen French Vanilla, Golden Yellow, Butter something, Lemon, Pineapple, Carrot, Spice, Angel Food, Devil's Food, German Chocolate, and a few others but not Orange! My sister ordered a box on Amazon and sent it to us.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Re: the above: Not all varieties are available everywhere (assuming it isn't a seasonal variety).

I don't know if I ever see unfrosted PopTarts around here (I do love the brown sugar cinnamon but I've never had them untrusted unfrosted, but it's the filling that I really like so unfrosted would be fine with me). The frosted ones are actually one of the two flavors I see in 2-packs at Wawa (the other being Frosted Cherry, also in my top five flavors...I also like S'mores and Blueberry).

• Like 4
(edited)
39 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Re: the above: Not all varieties are available everywhere (assuming it isn't a seasonal variety). So it's possible my store just doesn't carry it. On a related (sort of) note...I've been trying to find Duncan Hines Orange Cake---which the website indicates is available in several grocery stores near me (I'm in Chicago)--but they don't seem to actually carry it (no "blank space" where it would be if it just sold out). I've seen French Vanilla, Golden Yellow, Butter something, Lemon, Pineapple, Carrot, Spice, Angel Food, Devil's Food, German Chocolate, and a few others but not Orange! My sister ordered a box on Amazon and sent it to us.

And god knows you NEED that Orange Supreme cake mix to make a Harvey Wallbanger cake!

ETA: I'm so old, I remember when Pop Tarts came only in Strawberry and Blueberry. Untrusted & Unfrosted.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 8

My favorite Pop Tarts are the Frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon, but they were pretty stingy with the frosting on the ones in the last box I bought.  I also like the occasional Strawberry (frosted), but not enough to buy a whole box.

• Like 5

I can always find the unfrosted varieties of Brown Sugar Cinnamon, Blueberry and Strawberry Pop Tarts at our local supermarkets. They're usually on either the top shelf or the bottom shelf, though. Eye level placements are all the frosted varieties. The unfrosted Strawberry is so popular, it even comes in a value pack of 16! Here's a photo of one from my pantry. (My son likes Strawberry.)

Screenshot_20240113_184702_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Back to 2/5 😐 Tue/Wed.

Loved Pop Tarts as a kid, ate the unfrosted variety, because that's all that was available! Now, at least in my local markets, it's the other way around. 

• Like 4

Week eighteen: four of five. On Friday, I had no clue, so I guessed the Danube. Aren't there a lot of capitols on the Danube?

No Pop Tarts! I hate Pop Tarts!!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Week eighteen: four of five. On Friday, I had no clue, so I guessed the Danube. Aren't there a lot of capitols on the Danube?

4 capitals on the Danube: Belgrade, Bratislava, Budapest, Vienna

I only know this because I've been actively working on my geography knowledge on Sporcle.com. So I ran through those and didn't see flooding on the river would have given the capitals a name. Didn't even remember there was an Amstel river, much less relate it to Amsterdam.

Though I'm not overfond of Pop Tarts, I have eaten them willingly and enjoyed them. I haven't eaten Brown Sugar Cinnamon, but it's one of my favorite flavor combinations.

I think it's fun that we are having so much discussion about them, more than most FJ answers, it seems to me.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 6
12 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I guessed Danube too.
Actually, the clue:

• RIVERS: A European capital got its name as a consequence of flooding on this river

did make me think of Amsterdam, but I had no knowledge of its rivers. 

Regarding Pop-Tarts…
We had them a few times in the 1960s, but before they were available iced, which was 1967 (poptarts.com/en_US/our-story.html).

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

3/5 

I never had a Pop Tart until my second year of college when I went home with a friend and her parents had a box ready for her. They were strawberry frosted. Then I didn’t see them again until I had grandchildren. I’d need more filling to like them. 

23 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And god knows you NEED that Orange Supreme cake mix to make a Harvey Wallbanger cake!

Never heard of that before, but please save a slice for me. Sounds delicious. 
Where do I find a recipe for that? 

• Like 2

2/5: Bermuda Triangle Pop Tarts.

I will bring a pitcher of Bermuda Triangle cocktails, made with rum, orange juice and peach schnapps. Salut!

IMG_0521.jpeg.087922c45da1e205049848f958838120.jpeg

23 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I can’t stand them either. And they’re definitely not trustworthy. (I don’t know what that goo filling is, but it’s definitely not fruit.) So I didn’t see a typo, I saw someone calling them out for the sneaky little faux-pastries they are.

IMG_0520.png.5606894392fd0195e8f4ad70db35fcf7.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I can’t stand them either. And they’re definitely not trustworthy. (I don’t know what that goo filling is, but it’s definitely not fruit.) So I didn’t see a typo, I saw someone calling them out for the sneaky little faux-pastries they are.

IMG_0520.png.5606894392fd0195e8f4ad70db35fcf7.png

Oh thank goodness... I thought I was the only one who makes that cat-smells-yogurt face at the thought of eating one. Right up there with the woman trying to swallow an oyster video that's circulating on that evil FBook.

So sad. Have to pass on the rum. It's the only alcohol I'm allergic to. Makes me fall asleep immediately. Head in the dinner plate type of sleep. Hey - maybe I should try a shot at bedtime... I wonder if that would cure my 3 a.m. wakeup madness.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Bliss said:

Hey - maybe I should try a shot at bedtime... I wonder if that would cure my 3 a.m. wakeup madness.

No, it would not cure it and most likely make it worse.  Alcohol may make you go to sleep but it doesn't keep you asleep.

Here is a good article about it:

Alcohol and sleep

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

3/5 - Got Boston/Providence (thanks to many NE visits to Father Grundoon's side of the family); Bermuda Triangle - lucky guess and Pop Tarts (I am a child of the 60s and 70s).  When I saw the other two answers, I said of course but my mind did not make inroads anywhere towards them. 

I am lacking any imagination for food this week but I would like to sit with @30 Helensand drink cocktails - Mother Grundoon raised me to be "rummy".  I will work on a dish for next week. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
(edited)

Week 19 • Jan. 15 – Two Asterisks
91.     *ON THE STAGE - Paul Robeson said that even as this character "kills, his honor is at stake... the honor of his whole culture is involved" (Othello)
92.     NEW NATIONS - In September 2023 the U.S. recognized 2 new nations in free association with New Zealand: Niue & this archipelago (Cook Islands)
93.     19th CENTURY AMERICA - An 1884 article calls this newly completed structure "the highest work of man" & disagrees with those who call it "a great chimney" (The Washington Monument)
94.     *20th CENTURY HISTORY - After the Vietnam War, Vietnam got bogged down in a campaign against this leader whom it managed to overthrow in 1979 (Pol Pot)
95.     AMERICAN ARTISTS - In the 1920s he used wire, string & other materials to fabricate "models in motion" for a miniature circus scene (Calder)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Thanks 4

Week 19:  1/5 (F)

Thank goodness for Calder! At least I had a respectable, but still incorrect, response for Monday's Paul Robeson clue. I said "The Emperor Jones," a film in which Robeson did star and his character did kill a man. Why I didn't think of the more obvious choice of "Othello" is beyond me. 🤷‍♀️

Representing Thursday's FJ, how about some Vietnamese bahn mi? (I'm back with cilantro again. I'll keep it on the side as a garnish.)

Screenshot_20240119_235442_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Week 19: 1/5
(Fri. Calder)

I almost got Thursday too, but switched back from Pol Pot to Ho Chi Minh.

Here's another unicorn cake:

chocolate-unicorn-cake1-1200.jpg

Fortunately, there are a lot of them.

Same here. Only got Friday's. Sheesh.  Official statement: 1/5, no *

• Like 4
(edited)

2/5 no *

We actually laughed when I got Calder right - because I have this weird brain spasm that switches Calder and Pollock when I answer a question (even though I know each artist's work). But I got it right this time! Maybe I've finally retrained my brain!

I'll bring oatmeal raisin cookies - for no reason other than I made them for the first time this week (they're ugly but taste good, so it's still a win).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
9 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

2/5, no *.

I hope @ams1001 won’t mind if I put a little honey and bourbon in my hot tea. Dry January is against my principles. 

Knock yourself out!

(Well, not with too much bourbon, please.)

• Like 1
  • Wink 3
  • LOL 1

Week 19: 3/5, two *

YTD: 47/95, five *

I haven't made a Harvey Wallbanger cake in years, but I still have some Galliano, so I'll give it a go.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'll bring oatmeal raisin cookies - for no reason other than I made them for the first time this week (they're ugly but taste good, so it's still a win).

My dad used to make oatmeal raisin cookies. They were his favorite. There weren't a lot of things he cooked/baked, but anything he did was so good! Except for the time he tried roasting chestnuts in the oven. The slits in some weren't deep enough, and when they exploded, they made a mess!

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

2/5, no *.

I hope @ams1001 won’t mind if I put a little honey and bourbon in my hot tea. Dry January is against my principles. 

Can get some peppermint schnapps for the hot cocoa...

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

Week nineteen: one. Just one and not even an asterisk.

I'm blaming the cold for slowing my brain to a crawl. On Friday, I yelled "it's that guy that created the mobile in the Pittsburgh Airport!"

I'm making a big pot of pasta fajioli, with cheese tortellini for the pasta. I need heat, veg, and carbs!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1