Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Driad said:

When the Smothers Brothers had Harry Belafonte on, they introduced him with "Here's the group you have always heard about -- Tom, Dick, and Harry!"

They had a sister named Sherry. I think their parents were funny, too. Sherry died this past April. So did Tom's first-born son, Tom IV.

The vat of chocolate song was written by Pat Paulsen. I miss him running for President via the STAG Party (Straight-Talking American Government.)

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Week fifteen: three of five, no asterisks. I think my original response got eaten by the update.

Week sixteen: three of five. I seem to be in a rut.

I've been under the weather for a week or more, but today I had enough energy to make what my family calls Chinese penicillin - egg drop soup with loads of onion, garlic, and ginger, with mini-wontons. I'm feeling better already! I'll bring a batch when I'm no longer hacking and coughing up a lung.

• Hugs 6
(edited)
56 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The vat of chocolate song was written by Pat Paulsen. I miss him running for President via the STAG Party (Straight-Talking American Government.)

I remember distributing Pat Paulson for President balloons in, maybe, 5th grade? (1968, I guess?) Did my classmates look at me funny? What, why would you ask that?

Edited by SoMuchTV
Because disturbing is not a synonym for distributing
  • Like 1
  • LOL 6
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I remember distributing Pat Paulson for President balloons in, maybe, 5th grade? (1968, I guess?) Did my classmates look at me funny? What, why would you ask that?

"Disturbing" would be a much funnier sentence!

• Like 1

Week 16: 4/5, making it a season's best (or maybe tied for best) for me to date. (That elusive 5 still... eludes. Man, I SHOULD have been able to guess Pele this week...)

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

apparently my brain was too full of ‘nog.

I had a very weird Xmas season - didn't have ANY egg nog and never saw the Hershey's Kisses bell-ringer ad nor the Corona palm tree ad.  It just wasn't Xmas around here. LOL.  (Although, I did manage to have 2 four-ounce Tortuga Caribbean Rum Cakes from Amazon.)

• Like 5
(edited)

Week 17: 4/5 with the *
YTD: 49/85 (58%) with 3*

In honor of one of the Misheard Lyrics clues this week, I'll bring some Juice and (Fig) Newtons. 😛

(Also, National Fig Newton Day is coming up on January 16th. Which I learned while trying unsuccessfully to find a picture of Fig Newtons and juice together.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

Week 17 • Jan. 1  One Asterisk
81.     LANDMARKS - 213 feet wide, this late 18th c. European structure has 5 portals, the middle of which was--at first--for royals only (the Brandenburg Gate)
82.     LANDMARKS - During Pope John Paul II's 1987 visit to Los Angeles, pranksters covered up this letter in a local landmark (“L” in the Hollywood sign)
83.     FROM THE FRENCH - With murder, shadows, a nosy reporter & Peter Lorre, 1940's "Stranger on the Third Floor" is the first example of this, some say (film noir)
84.     HISTORIC AMERICANS - They went their separate ways in 1806 & both became territorial governors: one of Upper Louisiana, the other of Missouri (Lewis & Clark)
85.    *CHILDREN'S BOOKS - A 2020 edition of this beloved 1911 novel came with a glossary of horticultural terms & a location guide (The Secret Garden)

• Thanks 4

Week 17: 4/5   No asterisk
Mon. Brandenberg Gate; Tues. L; Wed. Film noir; Thurs. Lewis & Clark

Once a year for the last 3 years I've been watching, I've managed to pull a 4/5 rabbit out of my hat/brain, and I guess this is it.
However,  I only knew Lewis & Clark from growing more familiar with Jeopardy! answers, and Brandenberg Gate came out of nowhere. 
And I think most of us found Tuesday and Wednesday to be easy — they were more about the wagering for the contestants — but apparently not overthinking it too.
So, maybe I won't always be able to lower the curve? 

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Week 17: 4/5 with the *
YTD: 49/85 (58%) with 3*

In honor of one of the Misheard Lyrics clues this week, I'll bring some Juice and (Fig) Newtons. 😛

(Also, National Fig Newton Day is coming up on January 16th. Which I learned while trying unsuccessfully to find a picture of Fig Newtons and juice together.)

Fig Newtons sound good, but I have grown very picky about additives, so maybe these: https://shop.wegmans.com/product/60694/nature-s-bakery-fig-bar-original-fig-twin-packwwfigedit.jpg

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
(edited)
55 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Fig Newtons sound good, but I have grown very picky about additives, so maybe these: https://shop.wegmans.com/product/60694/nature-s-bakery-fig-bar-original-fig-twin-packwwfigedit.jpg

I like those, but they don't work with my silly Juice Newton joke. Actually I like them better because the crust feels more substantial and I treat them more like a cereal bar than a cookie. (I've tried a couple of the flavored ones and actually found them a little too sweet, which is saying a lot coming from me.) I also like their Oatmeal Crumble bars (they have apple or strawberry; I think I've only found them at Target).

image.thumb.png.394d8ad5bdb7f2f3f059a2d1fcd6cbbf.png

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Week 17:  4/5 (doesn't happen often, for me!), plus the *. I keep meaning to look up a picture of the Brandenburg gate, because that was nowhere near on my radar.

Overall, 40/85, now with 2 *'s!

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
(edited)
19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Will the musical accompaniment be Juice Newton?

4/5 and 1* this week. ☺️

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Applause 2

Oh, my.

My first ever (since I've been playing this and keeping track, at least) 5/5. (With an *, no less.)

A feat this rare requires an equally rare contribution to the table.

What-is-Blue-Steak-1024x768.jpg

• Fire 2
  • Applause 7
  • Love 1

3/5 plus the one * 

I went out and bought Fig Newtons. They were hard to find as they must now have too many kinds of Oreos that mostly filled the cookie section. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

4/5 with one *  - I missed on Monday - my brain was in Merrie Olde England looking for an answer instead of Berlin.  And I swear, the only reason I got Secret Garden on Friday was because it was a very busy week at work and I kept singing "Hold On" from the musical version in my head to keep myself from lashing out at a few people.  🤣 Broadway knowledge strikes again. 

• Applause 3
  • LOL 1

Week 18:  2/5 (W, Th)

I guess I'll bring some Pop Tarts as that was one of my two correct answers. I think some may be disappointed though, as my favorite variety is Brown Sugar Cinnamon, which are untrusted. 

• Like 7
  • Hugs 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Week 18:  2/5 (W, Th)

I guess I'll bring some Pop Tarts as that was one of my two correct answers. I think some may be disappointed though, as my favorite variety is Brown Sugar Cinnamon, which are untrusted. 

I like those! Frosted Chocolate Fudge is my favorite, though. Brown Sugar Cinnamon might be my second.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

my favorite variety is Brown Sugar Cinnamon, which are untrusted. 

Either best autocorrect ever, or maybe you need to talk to someone. 

• LOL 10

Week 18 • Jan. 8  - No Asterisks
86.    STATE CAPITALS - The 2 closest state capitals, at about 40 miles apart, one was founded by someone no longer allowed in the other (Providence and Boston)
87.     THE ANCIENT WORLD - This text helped the soul, or ka, navigate a journey into a region called Amenti (Dead Sea Scrolls)
88.     SPACE - Since it has caused spacecraft to malfunction, a region called the South Atlantic Anomaly is known as this area "of space" (Bermuda Triangle)
89.     BRAND NAMES - Originally called Fruit Scones, the name of this food brand introduced in 1964 was influenced by an art movement of that time (Pop Tarts)
90.     RIVERS - A European capital got its name as a consequence of flooding on this river (Amstel)

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Either best autocorrect ever, or maybe you need to talk to someone. 

I can't stop laughing! 😄

I typed unfrosted! (Autocorrect struck again just now, but this time I was on it!)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 10

Week 18: 1/5
Wed. Bermuda Triangle

Tuesday I triumphantly yelled at the TV: "Tibetan Book of the Dead!"
But, no.
It should have been either just "Book of the Dead" or "Egyptian Book of the Dead." 
I debated with myself whether or not I might have just written "Book of the Dead" because of time constraints, and decided I would probably not have done that.

But I found a Unicorn Cake to cheer up us 1/5-ers:
unicorn-cake-70734-1.jpg
For the more adventurous bakers, there's even a recipe:
delicious.com.au/recipes/unicorn-cake/KVMVRHYB

• Like 7
  • Love 1

One of my better weeks: 4/5

Technically, it was 4/4 as we didn't get Tuesday's show (storm affected the satellite)... however, I don't think I would have got the answer. I'll never know! What I do know is that Monday was a fluke, and I "frosted" my gut guesses. LOL to @ProudMary's autocorrect.

Bringing frosted banana pudding (frosted - topped with real whipped cream).

• Applause 6