Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: The Last Supper Part One: Appetizer

• Start Topic

It's odd that Carrie does not tell Che that they cannot attend the dinner because Carrie's decades old friendship with Miranda trumps theirs, I just watched an old episode of SATC when the group was in Atlantic City and Carrie told some guy because he said that Miranda's ass was fat...where did that Carrie go?

I have been the Miranda before and had a friend side with someone that she should not have, she decided that I was out and the other person was in, I wracked my brains trying to make sense of it all and years later I still come up empty.  It is a horrible feeling and Miranda's feelings should be taken in to account above Che's, Carrie has known Che for about 5 minutes and I think Che would understand about not being invited, I would hope anyway.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I have been the Miranda before and had a friend side with someone that she should not have, she decided that I was out and the other person was in, I wracked my brains trying to make sense of it all and years later I still come up empty.  It is a horrible feeling and Miranda's feelings should be taken in to account above Che's, Carrie has known Che for about 5 minutes and I think Che would understand about not being invited, I would hope anyway.

And how Miranda just meekly folded also irked me. I remember the episode back when her neck snapped, and Carrie sent Aidan to help her instead, and Aidan saw her naked on the bathroom floor, Miranda was so mortified.

When Carrie visited later and brought bagels, while Miranda is in a neck BRACE already, all Carrie can talk about is how she's insecure about her renewed relationship with Aidan since he was flirting with someone else. Miranda suddenly went all "This is bullshit. YOU ARE BULLSHIT. I'm injured, your boyfriend saw me naked, and all you can talk about is your feelings about your boyfriend." Where is THAT Miranda???

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, Cosmocrush said:

I hope so!  Besides, if the public metaphorical punch in the face with Che's standup didn't solidify the breakup then our old Miranda is truly gone. 

Yes. After Che humiliated her if Miranda goes back for more there is no coming back for Miranda. Why isn't someone telling Miranda she is so much better off? The way the show is being written it's like everyone is doing the whole "there is nice people on both sides" bullshit.

• Like 9
57 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yes. After Che humiliated her if Miranda goes back for more there is no coming back for Miranda. Why isn't someone telling Miranda she is so much better off? The way the show is being written it's like everyone is doing the whole "there is nice people on both sides" bullshit.

That, or they're bending over backwards to accommodate LGBTQ characters because of past criticisms of lack of diversity. But seriously, did they have to write a horrible, godawful LGBTQ character such as Che? This is such a disservice to Stanford and Anthony, who have been in SATC since the beginning, albeit not always written with nuance and depth, but they've been there.

I feel like that person in the focus group who shredded Che to pieces: "walking boomer joke, phone, sanitized, performative, cheesy-ass, dad  joke, BS version of what a non-binary experience is. It sucked." I would add, they suck.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, RedHawk said:

JC as Down-Home Aidan, for sure. Every episode since he re-appeared Aidan is becoming less appealing. That whole "I just gotta chat with the neighbors in the lobby" schtick and "Country Lurch" once again in the tighty whities = YUCK! He's like a big annoying slobbery puppy.

You don't know how hard I just laughed!!!

• Thanks 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Just when I was going to ask what we're going to get together and opine about after Thursday, @funnygirl brought the news we're in for a season 3. Can you take it?

Or will you join the ranks of the non watchers? 😄

Edited by T Summer
rethought a word
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, T Summer said:

ust when I was going to ask what we're going to get together and opine about after Thursday, @funnygirl brought the news we're in for a season 3. Can you take it?

Or will you join the ranks of the non watchers? 😄

I'll be watching. I'll be "hate-watching", but I'm hoping I won't have to fast-forward through any Che-Miranda scenes anymore.

• Like 3

I've hate watched a show or two--A Million Little Things comes to mind, and sort of This is Us, but there were still things I liked about both, despite the things that annoyed me. Is that the case here? It's not ALL hate? Or is it? 

When Negan literally killed The Walking Dead for me, I stopped watching, stopped reading about it, stopped visiting the boards for it. Despite some lingering fondness for some of the characters, the hate outweighed it so much that I couldn't stand to watch or know any more about it. It was a RELIEF to give it up. 

Or is hate a motivating factor to keep watching AJLT? I don't hate it. I have criticisms and disappointment around it, but I don't hate it. I did hate Miranda, with Che, but apart, Miranda is more like herself, and up until the last episode, Che was better too. I don't hate Carrie either, tho it seems literally everyone else does. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I don't know if I would say I hate the show or even the characters. I hate that the show is not as good as it could have been. Although with these writers it was probably never going to be good.  I hated the way Miranda acted towards Steve and hated her personality change with Che.  But I'm always going to blame Cynthia Nixon for that.  I don't hate Carrie but I don't like her.  I particularly don't like that the writers don't see her flaws. Of which there are many.  They don't think she does anything wrong.  And it doesn't help that I'm not a SJP fan. She was always the weakest of the actresses IMO.  With very few exceptions every role she plays seems to be a variation of Carrie Bradshaw.

54 minutes ago, luna1122again said:

I've hate watched a show or two--A Million Little Things comes to mind, and sort of This is Us, but there were still things I liked about both, despite the things that annoyed me. Is that the case here? It's not ALL hate? Or is it? 

I watched both and for me it was a chore to get through TIU.  I will never do a rewatch.  I enjoyed MLT. It wasn't perfect but it kept interested enough that I would want to watch again.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, luna1122again said:

When Negan literally killed The Walking Dead for me, I stopped watching, stopped reading about it, stopped visiting the boards for it. Despite some lingering fondness for some of the characters, the hate outweighed it so much that I couldn't stand to watch or know any more about it. It was a RELIEF to give it up. 

I watched through to the end of TWD and it was a chore. I didn't touch any of the spinoffs. Well, except I watched Fear until that piece of sh*t kid fed his golden retriever to the zombies and then I noped TF out of there. That was not acceptable. I could deal with Glenn/Abraham but not the golden retriever.

Che is Negan in a sense that they killed the show. Make them likeable and beam Miranda back from the aliens and maybe there would be some hope but we know that's not going to happen.

I also hate watched TIU. I worked in a physical office at that time and TWD and TIU are examples of shows I started watching so I could participate in the office chatter. Ugh.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I watched through to the end of TWD and it was a chore. I didn't touch any of the spinoffs. Well, except I watched Fear until that piece of sh*t kid fed his golden retriever to the zombies and then I noped TF out of there. That was not acceptable. I could deal with Glenn/Abraham but not the golden retriever.

Che is Negan in a sense that they killed the show. Make them likeable and beam Miranda back from the aliens and maybe there would be some hope but we know that's not going to happen.

I also hate watched TIU. I worked in a physical office at that time and TWD and TIU are examples of shows I started watching so I could participate in the office chatter. Ugh.

OMG, I had no idea about a golden retriever. That would have killed me. I HATE that guy. More than Che. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Well, except I watched Fear until that piece of sh*t kid fed his golden retriever to the zombies and then I noped TF out of there. That was not acceptable. I could deal with Glenn/Abraham but not the golden retriever.

I have a rule that I do not watch things with a dog or cat that dies.  No Marley and Me.  No Old Yeller. 

3 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I was talking to someone I was friendly with when TIU first premiered. She randomly brought it up and said OMG are you watching TIU and I said no. She said you have to it's the greatest show ever.  I started watching a year later and got caught up on HULU and kept thinking how long before it turns into the best show ever.

• Like 1

What is TIU?

As there's nothing much good to watch series wise these days I'll probably be watching  S3... and hating the writing. I'm not really in the camp of hating Carrie which probably is due to finding SJP likable. I'm sure if I met someone who conducted themself like Carrie  in real life I'd avoid them like the plague!

I fear the end of S2 is going to be disappointing, lol.

I've stated it before but by writing the 4 women and their men as very successful to uber wealthy they've cut off a lot interesting  directions in which to to take the characters.   Realistic scenarios where  people grow apart because they  don't run in the same circles anymore or they have trouble keeping up with a friend who has no financial constraints  at all where you have nothing but... all those kinds of things are off the table because everyone has only rich people problems.

Che's fall  from stand up comedy sensation to veterinary office front desk person notwithstanding. We didn't come into this to watch Che.

• Like 3
On 8/17/2023 at 6:03 AM, ChattyCathyLA said:

And, another thought … why was Aiden crying and taking the blame for his son’s accident?  It was his ex-wife’s weekend to care for the boys!  If anyone is to blame, it’s HER … not him!  She knows Wyatt is a problem, yet she couldn’t  predict what he was gonna do after their fight?  And, she’s been living with this kid for 14 years?  Aiden trusted his kid’s MOTHER  to look after her own child and SHE F’d up!  She’s irresponsible!  WOW, for her to lecture Carrie on not to write about her kids and to “not hurt” Aiden, and then not properly look after her own son?  Talk about “lip service”.    She’s a real piece of work!  I think I’m figuring out now why they’re divorced … 

And … Wyatt needs to go to therapy … NOW!  Maybe he can go to that nice place where David Duchovny went? 😁🤣

Because he’s a pussy besides being immature . Just like he won’t go back intoCarrie‘s old apartment.  give me a break. both of these assholes should’ve thought about this apartment in relation to him living in Virginia or wherever the hell he lives and her not wanting to leave New York City. and his son sounds like a spoiled little bastard and correct the mother should’ve kept a better eye on him

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
On 8/21/2023 at 12:01 AM, T Summer said:

The typists can tell me Carrie is all lit up with newfound excitement in her 3rd go round with Aiden. I  just am not buying it.

Is there a reason the word typists is being used instead of writers? Is this a thing now?

I’m alone in thinking Aiden is sexy, I guess. But I like country boys, and John Corbett is a hot drink of water.

Looks like the showrunners went nuts casting all these new people in the name of diversity, but why add only Black characters? No East Asian, South Asian, Indigenous? 

The pregnant/not pregnant storyline was a waste of airtime. And who tells their wife they’re getting a vasectomy and then doesn’t do it and not tell her? Were they not using BC all this time and she thought they were in the clear?

Speaking of pregnancy, Miranda’s boss only taking 5 weeks of mat leave is ridiculous. Miranda said she took a couple months? What kind of third world bullshit is that? 

The whole thing about Carrie and her apartment is weird to me. Either you like it or you don’t. Her buying and selling and buying again is more bullshit.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

Is there a reason the word typists is being used instead of writers? Is this a thing now?

I’m alone in thinking Aiden is sexy, I guess. But I like country boys, and John Corbett is a hot drink of water.

Looks like the showrunners went nuts casting all these new people in the name of diversity, but why add only Black characters? No East Asian, South Asian, Indigenous? 

The pregnant/not pregnant storyline was a waste of airtime. And who tells their wife they’re getting a vasectomy and then doesn’t do it and not tell her? Were they not using BC all this time and she thought they were in the clear?

Speaking of pregnancy, Miranda’s boss only taking 5 weeks of mat leave is ridiculous. Miranda said she took a couple months? What kind of third world bullshit is that? 

The whole thing about Carrie and her apartment is weird to me. Either you like it or you don’t. Her buying and selling and buying again is more bullshit.

We use the word "typists" because they are horrible at writing.

Yes, pregnant/not pregnant was a waste of time, any man with a cold is a big production, I can not believe she thought he had a vasectomy, he would have been sitting around the house with a bag of frozen peas on his junk and not to mention, (she would have been with him to drive or at least ride in an Uber with),complaining bitterly and asking needing to be waited on hand and foot so there are holes in that story.

Miranda's boss only taking five weeks leave may have something to do with Miranda being really good at that job.

Carrie buying and selling apartments is stupid, it's not like buying a sweater there is a lot more to it then just writing a check, the typists must think we are stupid.

I will say that John Corbet is a nice looking guy but his personality or the way it is written makes him so simpy and bland that I do not find him attractive in this role.

One thing I think is interesting, the circles that these women run in are the well to do circles and not one of them have ever run in to Dr. Trey, not at a charity, not on Park Ave., no where.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Shermie said:

Seema is Indian and Che is Latinx, Carrie’s fuck buddy Franklyn was Mexican (at least the actor is), and her podcast former co-worker Jackie is played by Bobby Lee, who is of Korean ancestry.

The writers didn’t only add black characters. 

• Like 7
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:
12 hours ago, Shermie said:

Seema is Indian and Che is Latinx, Carrie’s fuck buddy Franklyn was Mexican (at least the actor is), and her podcast former co-worker Jackie is played by Bobby Lee, who is of Korean ancestry.

I stand corrected. I don’t pay as much attention to the secondary characters; I’m still watching mostly for Carrie, Charlotte and Miranda.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Shermie said:

It's a desire not to glorify them by referring to them as writers. I think @RedHawk used it first and some of the rest us thought it was pretty funny and carried on using it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

I stand corrected. I don’t pay as much attention to the secondary characters; I’m still watching mostly for Carrie, Charlotte and Miranda.

Seema is my fav addition to the show so far. Maybe because I want to be her when I grow up. A cross between her and Nya would be my fantasy life so I am very bias!🥰

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I can not believe she thought he had a vasectomy, he would have been sitting around the house with a bag of frozen peas on his junk and not to mention, (she would have been with him to drive or at least ride in an Uber with),complaining bitterly and asking needing to be waited on hand and foot so there are holes in that story.

Carrie buying and selling apartments is stupid, it's not like buying a sweater there is a lot more to it then just writing a check, the typists must think we are stupid.

Maybe not, Herbert seems to be a wonderful husband. I loved his telling LTW "Get that thought out of your beautiful head." They are relationship goals.

Dear God, no, not in New York! My closing took 4-5 months. (Boring explanatory side note, feel free to skip: Admittedly I was in special circumstances--I had steady though small income streams but my credit score was high enough that I qualified for various grants, but I had to jump through quite a few hoops to get the money. That added time but it was worth it.) In NYC there is an insane amount of paperwork and regulations and COs, etc. etc. etc.--someone always has their hand out for yet another requirement to fulfill. "Nope, nope, see the plumbing isn't sound, we have to fix this before the CO can be issued..." Buying an apartment in NYC is never a one-two month thing.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Shermie said:

It’s American bullshit. Some people take pride on how little time they take off just so they can look like they are doing their company a favor 🙄

• Like 2

I finally saw this.  I had heard how unfunny Che's set was, then I saw it for myself.  Just terrible.  Poorly written and poorly performed.  Sure they had a netflix special.  

You do not need to remain close to exes.  Miranda should still have interactions with Steve because they have a child.  However, people can also fully break up.  There is no reason for Miranda to go out of her way to be supportive of Che.  They weren't together that long, and it was a bad relationship.  Moving on is the healthy choice. 

I am glad they had Steve come off as competent finally.  I was never a fan of them as a couple, but they were together a very long time.   That doesn't just go away. 

Am I a monster for laughing when John Corbett was crying?  I predicted Wyatt would be the end of this relationship.  Seems well queued up now.   

• Like 5
On 8/24/2023 at 4:36 PM, Shermie said:

While I don't particularly like country boys, I've always had a thing for John Corbett. Seeing him in tighty-whities on this show doesn't necessarily light my fire, but it's never cooled my crush.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 8/24/2023 at 7:36 PM, Shermie said:

On 8/25/2023 at 8:14 AM, T Summer said:

It's a desire not to glorify them by referring to them as writers. I think @RedHawk used it first and some of the rest us thought it was pretty funny and carried on using it.

Yes, I have the dubious honor of originating the use of "typists" instead of "writers" in a frustrated, snarky post about a previous AJLT episode. (Heh, 95% of my posts about this show have been snarky.) Thanks for the shout-out, T Summer!

On 8/25/2023 at 10:17 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Big would have a heart attack if he knew Carrie was pissing away money buying and selling apartments over and over again.

Carrie probably bought the first one, the apartment with "all the light", for cash after selling the apartment she and Big shared. She then sold that one so had another pile of cash. No idea what she did with that cash -- I have no doubt that Carrie would let it all sit in one bank account! Perhaps she then (about one year after selling Sunshine on the Hudson?) bought this new place also for cash. She would have made a profit on the Big+Carrie apartment, maybe came out nearly even on Sunshine, and now she seems content to settle into Gramercy Park Palace.

If Carrie gained or lost a few hundred thousand here or there, she seems to have shrugged it off. (Easy come, easy go, eh?) The winner is Seema, who has made some nice commissions! 

• Like 3
On 8/17/2023 at 12:43 PM, Rebecca berkowit said:

They just come off as dumb people doing things nobody would ever do.  

I think this line perfectly encapsulates the Aidan/Carrie and Miranda/Che storylines.

I wish Charlotte had specifically called Lilly out for being so mean and disrespectful to her.

To whom must I beg to get Lisa and her family their own show? 

It sucks that they didn't give Nya better writing this season. 

Edited by Adgirl
  • Like 2
On 8/25/2023 at 6:58 AM, CeeBeeGee said:

Maybe not, Herbert seems to be a wonderful husband. I loved his telling LTW "Get that thought out of your beautiful head." They are relationship goals.

I don't know that I agree with this. It's very "don't worry your pretty little head about it." It's dismissive. I can't remember what they were talking about when he said this, but it was something really important. He handwaved her very real concern with some trite platitude and paid her a compliment while demanding that she dismiss her concern. 

• Useful 1
59 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

I don't know that I agree with this. It's very "don't worry your pretty little head about it." It's dismissive. I can't remember what they were talking about when he said this, but it was something really important. He handwaved her very real concern with some trite platitude and paid her a compliment while demanding that she dismiss her concern. 

I didn't read it as dismissing her concern, and he did continue the discussion. However, the "beautiful" adjective in "beautiful head" annoyed me. Why does she need to be told that her head is beautiful? Why does there need to be a compliment given? It did stop me for a moment because the reference to her "beauty" has no place in their serious discussion about her guilt over the sudden loss of the pregnancy.

I'm tired of so much focus on "beauty". Self-confident women with a healthy self-image don't need constant validation of their "beauty" from their partners.

Edited by RedHawk
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I finally had a chance to watch and I have to say the last few episodes really started to feel more authentic especially to the characters we love:

I love Steve's new business venture.   He's unapologetically "hot dogs and clams" with a gorgeous view of the ocean and he deserves all the happiness and success in the world. 

JC's crying scene about his son felt very real to me.  I can't even imagine the guilt I'd feel lf my kid went off the rails when I wasn't around.  

And the Stanford scene really got to me. Had me in tears.  I thought it was so well done even though the premise seemed silly when Carrie started.  I was all prepared to have a violent eye roll session---Stanford a monk?!  But they handled that story and scene well (if not belatedly!) and Anthony and Carrie both killed it.  

If there's a season 3, I'm in. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Stanford a monk?

I have a very dear friend, I have known her my whole life, she grew up a nice Jewish girl, Bat Mitzvah'd, her first marriage was a religious ceremony, etc...she is now a Zen Buddhist priest in Denmark and happy with her life so I thought it totally believable that Stanny could be a monk.

That said, is it crazy that that is the most believable thing written on this show? 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
On 8/17/2023 at 5:33 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

That was some bad fake crying by John Corbett. 

Yes. Bad crying can spoil what should be a touching scene. Even if Aiden's feeling of guilt is misplaced (the kid was with his mom that week), it is understandable that a parent would feel they've somehow failed to protect their child. Sobbing like that, though? I don't recall if Aiden was always so emotional, but it seemed out of character. I could imagine him quietly crying, but that was too much. 

• Like 2
On 8/22/2023 at 9:33 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

It is a nice little town about an hour from downtown Seattle, not much goes on there...you can drive back to Seattle thru Snoqualmi Falls, that is beautiful, it was featured in the show, Twin Peaks. 

If you want to splurge a little, you can book a room at the Salish Lodge at the falls. I think the exterior was used as a stand-in for the Great Northern Hotel in Twin Peaks. Nice little 90s TV road trip. :-)

• Applause 1