Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: The Last Supper Part One: Appetizer

• Start Topic

And Just Like That Season 2 Episode 10 release date is August 17, 2023.

Release time is:

12:00 AM PT  3:00 AM ET

Viewers can watch the upcoming episode on MAX.

"The upcoming episode titled “The Last Supper Part One: Appetizer” will examine how the characters react to changing circumstances. A story that examines themes of commitment, progress, and the unexpected nature of life is made possible by Carrie’s brave choice, Miranda’s insights, Charlotte’s musings, and Anthony and Seema’s developing connections. Our characters will surely make decisions that alter their fates in unforeseen ways as they go into unfamiliar territory." quote Olivia Wilson (TV Acute)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

Miranda better be referring to Che AND Steve it comes to the exes she threw away. And this better be leading to her long overdue jerkass realization where he is concerned.

Don't count on Steve being part of it. 

• Sad 8
  • Useful 1
43 minutes ago, Night Cheese said:

Thank you @T Summer for starting the thread and posting the previews. Is it just me or do these preview synopses sound like they're written by AI? I'm not familiar with TV Acute...is that a well-known media site for TV shows?

YW. No it's not, that I know of?  but I looked for a synopsis on Max (and their twitter X accounts) and a couple other websites that had the video and times up, but their descriptions went way into speculation mode (which that kind of thing belongs on the media or speculation threads). So I chose that one which stuck more closely to the facts.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, T Summer said:

YW. No it's not, that I know of?  but I looked for a synopsis on Max (and their twitter X accounts) and a couple other websites that had the video and times up, but their descriptions went way into speculation mode (which that kind of thing belongs on the media or speculation threads). So I chose that one which stuck more closely to the facts.

Gotcha. I guess streaming networks don't put out episode descriptions before the episode the way the networks used to (still do?). I appreciate you finding a non-speculative description to share.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Don't count on Steve being part of it. 

She said she doesn’t want to throw them away ANYMORE. Meaning, after Steve.  :)

9 hours ago, EllenB said:

Carrie makes a "brave choice?" What, she wears a $5,000 pair of shoes more than once?

I hope it’s to leave Aiden and not buy that ridiculous new apartment.

• Like 8
16 hours ago, T Summer said:

Carrie’s brave choice

I'm guessing they have a different definition of brave than I do.

33 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

She said she doesn’t want to throw them away ANYMORE. Meaning, after Steve.  :)

Steve is better off but it does irk me that he has been treated poorly.  The writers wanted him to look bad so Miranda wouldn't look bad for ending her marriage.  They failed miserably and Miranda has looked just awful but Steve deserved better.  And I say this as someone who isn't a Steve fan.

36 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

I hope it’s to leave Aiden and not buy that ridiculous new apartment.

I will not be surprised if Carrie announces she will be splitting her time between NYC and Virginia.  Now I have no doubt if there is a season 3 we will not see Carrie in Virginia. We will hear  her talk about it but we will only see her when she is in NYC.   

MPK said some bullshit about not showing Carrie at Aidan's farmhouse because when they were filming it was the wrong season or whatever.   I don't believe him.  They could have filmed exteriors anywhere and said it was Virginia.  That happens all the time.  They could have filmed interiors in NYC.  It's not like they had to pay to film at an actual house in Norfolk. I think MPK has zero interest in anything outside of NYC unless it's Paris.  I mean they took SJP (and if I'm not mistaken Chris Noth) to film one short scene of Carrie with Big's ashes.  But they couldn't film something and have it be Carrie in Virginia?

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I think MPK has zero interest in anything outside of NYC unless it's Paris.  I mean they took SJP (and if I'm not mistaken Chris Noth) to film one short scene of Carrie with Big's ashes.  But they couldn't film something and have it be Carrie in Virginia?

I'll put the video on the media thread to not clog this up, but it appears they not only shot Noth in Paris for a fantasy  sequence  to go with the scattering of his ashes... but he seems to allude to filming  a ghostly visit to Carrie in NYC that was cut as well. Remember the lamp turning on or something that Carrie thought was some sort of sign from Big?

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

Harry and Charlotte being absolute doormats to their rotten children is beyond infuriating.

The gallery manager (?) acting like she'd never met a celebrity before and being dumbfounded at how to act in front of Sam Smith, of all people *eye roll*.

'The Last Supper' isn't that deep of a cut, in spite of how wowed everyone reacted.

Miranda, why should Steve want you to see his new establishment? YOU TREATED HIM LIKE GARBAGE. He has a right to start over without your presence being required.

Now we get Seemantha having her 'oopsie, I said I love you to this guy' storyline too? No other original ideas for this character, I guess. Anyways, it was more interesting when Samantha said it while on ecstasy with Richard.

Poor Karen Pittman, they really have no idea what to do with Nya. 

So Che was never funny in their 'comedy concerts,' got it.

Really throwing Stanford under the bus with this nonsense in Japan.  Let's toast him for giving up absolutely all the materialism that this show marinates in week after week!

Skipper? Who Miranda dumped that final time after he revealed he was inside another woman when he was talking to Miranda on the phone? No one would feel sorry for throwing that guy away two days after, never mind twenty-plus years.

Che's stand-up about Miranda, I mean... Not a Che fan but Miranda, stop expecting the world to rotate around your feelings after you've spent two years disregarding the feelings of others.

Aidan's kid is definitely going to be the endgame blocker. Eeyup.

And Just Like That... LTW wasn't really pregnant, as most predicted.

'We're not in high school anymore' says Carrie after she's spent the episode insisting on calling her dinner 'the last supper' as if it's the most profound thing ever.

Edited by TakomaSnark
  • Like 8
  • Applause 8

Finally, a decent episode where stuff ACTUALLY HAPPENED.  Of the two seasons, this ONE episode was the most like SATC.  

I knew the typists were setting up something with Wyatt and it makes sense that he would be acting out because his dad isn’t there all the time, but didn’t Aiden take long buying trips, like the one where he met up with Carrie in Abu Dabi in the second movie?  So … is this a new behavior since Aiden is reunited with Carrie?  You KNOW, Aiden will be forced to make a choice and it  WON’T be Carrie … and that will lead to a breakup … but maybe a get together again in a future season when Wyatt is older and has his own life (dates, guys, girls, etc).  It doesn’t sound like Aiden’s ex is such a great parent.   I mean, she knows her son has issues, yet she doesn’t keep tabs on him after a huge fight?  And, where were his brothers while this was happening?  The 19 year old might be off at college, but the middle one likely still lives at home.

I liked hearing Aiden take some of the blame for their second breakup.  When he started talking about “locking down” Carrie and saying how now he knows that doesn’t work, I was waiting to hear that his wife cheated on him … but he got interrupted with the phone call.

it shouldn’t be a question that Carrie might back out of the deal for the new place, because she has already closed escrow and has started to decorate.  She OWNS that place now.

Loving the fact that Miranda is getting payback for being a jerk.  Nya needs to accept a job at Harvard law school and leave the show.

I thought the tribute to Stanford was sweet.  

Charlotte’s outfit at the art gallery was stellar!  I wish her face were less puffy … still.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1

Well I certainly called that about LTW's pregnancy on the previous thread. Unplanned ill timed pregnancies in TV land always get taken away by mother nature, so the expectant mother doesn't have to face difficult choices.

LTW no sooner said: "I thought about  it, but I can't."

Cue the middle of the night gasps when she's coming from bathroom... something's not right. I'm bleeding. 🙄

I wanted to be wrong.

When Herbert said Lets go to the hospital, LTW replied yeah ok, but I think it's too late.🙄

And just like that Steve is back to sounding like he did in early s1.😡

I was glad he and Aiden got together though. About time.

I can't believe they had Miranda say I don't want to be someone who throws away exes anymore (having mentioned she's going to Che's show), and when Carrie tries to get who she's  forgetting about out of her... she goes all the way back to Skipper!!!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

And, another thought … why was Aiden crying and taking the blame for his son’s accident?  It was his ex-wife’s weekend to care for the boys!  If anyone is to blame, it’s HER … not him!  She knows Wyatt is a problem, yet she couldn’t  predict what he was gonna do after their fight?  And, she’s been living with this kid for 14 years?  Aiden trusted his kid’s MOTHER  to look after her own child and SHE F’d up!  She’s irresponsible!  WOW, for her to lecture Carrie on not to write about her kids and to “not hurt” Aiden, and then not properly look after her own son?  Talk about “lip service”.    She’s a real piece of work!  I think I’m figuring out now why they’re divorced … 

And … Wyatt needs to go to therapy … NOW!  Maybe he can go to that nice place where David Duchovny went? 😁🤣

• Like 16
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

The way this ended I suspect next week will be the big reset back to the beginning of the season. Aidan will break up with Carrie, she will back out of selling her apartment and moving out, Miranda and Che will reconcile  at the "Not Really the Last Supper", Charlotte will quit her job and nothing will have really changed for anyone except Nya. Tough luck about the apartment, jewelry designer.

I did like Che's acknowledgement about how messed up her relationship with Miranda was, tho. Pretty much what we'd all been saying all of last season.

• Like 10

Oh!  Forgot to mention that I REALLY really liked the brunch scene!  A throwback  to the “catch-up” weekend brunches that the original 4 used to have.  This show really needs to get rid of all those extra, ancillary “friends”.  Keep the four having brunch and call it a day.  There are just too many story lines to keep going here and I really don’t care about most of these characters.  I’d rather have more interest in the main 3-4 like the old show.  More character development of the central characters!  We don’t really know, beyond the basics, who these other people really are.  Keep Lisa.  If only for the fashion!  😁

• Like 15
1 hour ago, TakomaSnark said:

Che's stand-up about Miranda, I mean... Not a Che fan but Miranda, stop expecting the world to rotate around your feelings after you've spent two years disregarding the feelings of others.

Seriously. As much as it pains me to even indirectly defend Che, Miranda ghosted them for months, then showed up unannounced to their comedy routine (and only because she didn’t want to feel bad about herself). There’s a reason why you should call first. What did she expect?

And honestly, there wasn’t a single lie in Che’s bit. 

Nya, Miranda’s divorce was not like your divorce at all, so her scorched-earth approach to he relationship is NOT something you should admire.

1 hour ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

And, another thought … why was Aiden crying and taking the blame for his son’s accident?  It was his ex-wife’s weekend to care for the boys!  If anyone is to blame, it’s HER … not him!  She knows Wyatt is a problem, yet she couldn’t  predict what he was gonna do after their fight?  And, she’s been living with this kid for 14 years?  Aiden trusted his kid’s MOTHER  to look after her own child and SHE F’d up!  She’s irresponsible!  WOW, for her to lecture Carrie on not to write about her kids and to “not hurt” Aiden, and then not properly look after her own son?  Talk about “lip service”.    She’s a real piece of work!  I think I’m figuring out now why they’re divorced … 

And … Wyatt needs to go to therapy … NOW!  Maybe he can go to that nice place where David Duchovny went? 😁🤣

This. I hate that the show is already prepping things to make Aidan the asshole in the breakup for daring to prioritizing his children. Carrie is too solipsistic to take care of another living thing; I would t trust her with a houseplant, much less a kitten.

• Like 14

"And just like that... (serious voice) for the first time, I was worried."

So dumb to sell her apartment rather than rent it to the jewelry designer. How is it she is moving bits of furniture in to the new place, if the sale hasn't been finalised? And why is that hideous grey bed so short, especially as she was planning to sleep in it with Country Lurch? And who was ever going to feed the kitten when she whipped off to Virginia?

I quite liked the episode in other ways. It moved around the huge cast quite snappily.

Che is back to being a whiny asshole, which is also gratifying, somehow, after that huge redemption arc all of this season.

And great to see Steve living his dream.

• Like 9

Gonna go character by character.

Che. That was some unfunny standup (but they weren't wrong about what they said). As soon as Miranda said Che didn't know she was there I knew exactly what was going to happen. It really reiterated the impression of how wrong they were for each other. If Miranda reconciles with anyone, let it be Steve please. I was unsure of how to interpret the scene where they watched their old standup from 2012 when they identified as female.

Steve. What a cute place and his lines felt so real and Steve-y (if still doddering). Did Aidan say he had invested money in the Coney Island joint?? Thought they were finally gonna address the business connections re: Scout but no. Oh well.

Miranda. Was that flirting with the tall UN woman with the British accent? The chemistry was 0, it felt almost uncomfortable to watch. Please resolve your living situation and PLEASE stay away from Che. I felt she had every right to decline Carrie's dinner invitation but of course Carrie had to "MEEE"-e bully her into going.

Seema. She is not a teen so don't treat her as one please. That felt so off. Seema, to me, would take those "I love you"s in her stride.

LTW. Couldn't the writers have had some balls and let her get an abortion, instead of that sappy speech about how she was thankful to have that option but of course SHE personally couldn't... and then the world's calmest miscarriage where she barely wanted to go to the hospital, lol. "No, it's already too late". I was hoping she actually had an abortion and just wanted to keep it to herself. OR I was hoping her husband would decide to drop out of the running for city comptroller to step up for the family. All in all, the pregnancy added nothing. No narrative drive, no character development, no nothing. 🤷‍♀️ Maybe her husband will at least get that vasectomy now?

Charlotte. The other character in tandem with LTW who rebels against motherhood. It didn't feel all that believable Harry, Lily and Rock would suddenly start a calling/texting avalanche. I did like the Sam Smith cameo, they are so cute. Loved their giggling over the fangirling gallery associate after she curtseyed. 

Nya. Her character just feels like such a mess. The theatrical sex last week, the pettiness to actually buy a thousand dollar stroller for your cheating ex was really cutting off your nose to spite your face type of stuff. As I recall S1 (but may be off the mark here) she and André had a very mature, loving and stable relationship, and then the writers decide to write him out of it and drag him into this ridiculous storyline instead. What?? And why does everyone call him "André Rashad"? Is that his full name, or he has two first names? Even if it's two first names, I seriously doubt someone as close to him as his (ex)wife of two decades would still be calling him "André Rashaaaad" instead of just André of AR or whatever.

Carrie. Full disclosure, I've always hated her character. Still so pick-me, still so vapid, still so unconcerned with other people's feelings. Like forcing Miranda to her dinner, or listening half-heartedly to Aidan's car garage cry call without being able to provide any real comfort or understanding of the situation. "Breaks heal". She had "BUT MY DINNER, BUT MY APARTMENT" written all over her face. Lastly, the scene in her old apartment made me unsure of whether she was subletting or selling her apartment to Jewelry Designer (but I'm leaning towards selling? As Seema said, "at the price your got this apartment..."). I don't want to see Carrie crawling back in there another time, even if they already have the set design in the studio. 

Anthony. Or actually, Stanford. Also completely unbelievable Stanford would run off to Japan, run around crying in the street for days without calling his HUSBAND? Even if they were on the fritz? But now at least Anthony is truly free to be with his Italian amore and thanks to the newly minted Shinto monk, also free to let go of that which does no longer serve him, so free to get f***** in the a**. Go have fun, Tony 😉

• Like 11
20 minutes ago, Cloudly said:

Lastly, the scene in her old apartment made me unsure of whether she was subletting or selling her apartment to Jewelry Designer (but I'm leaning towards selling? As Seema said, "at the price your got this apartment...").

Yeah, if she actually sold the place why is jewelry designer not allowed to touch the closet or the clothes still in it? And why isn't Carrie moving her clothes if she's not going to be living there anymore? Which is why I think next week Seema will be selling Carrie's new place again, like she did in Season 1, and Carrie's not moving anywhere. Carrie's apartment is an actual character in this show.

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
41 minutes ago, Cloudly said:

Lastly, the scene in her old apartment made me unsure of whether she was subletting or selling her apartment to Jewelry Designer (but I'm leaning towards selling? As Seema said, "at the price your got this apartment...").

I got the impression because Seema said “rate”, not “price”, that Carrie merely rented it to the girl.  And, it appears that Carrie already owns the new place.  She has moved her clothes and is starting to decorate and put up drapes.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, violet and green said:

And just like that... (serious voice) for the first time, I was worried."

Yes Aidan's son is seriously injured and Carrie is worried.  About her not getting her happily ever after.  We all know that is what she is thinking.

2 hours ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

She OWNS that place now.

Yeah but she owned that place she bought after Big died and she sold that like it was shoes she didn't want anymore.

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don’t feel sorry for Miranda. Not one bit.

Agreed.  She was due for being knocked down a peg or two.

2 hours ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

And, another thought … why was Aiden crying and taking the blame for his son’s accident?  It was his ex-wife’s weekend to care for the boys!  If anyone is to blame, it’s HER … not him!  

Because Aidan is thinking if I wasn't up here in NYC playing house with Carrie the accident wouldn't have happened.  

2 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

I did like Che's acknowledgement about how messed up her relationship with Miranda was, tho. Pretty much what we'd all been saying all of last season.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

And honestly, there wasn’t a single lie in Che’s bit. 

I guess Che saw Miranda the way we saw Miranda.  This just confirms to me that Che was nowhere invested as much as Miranda was. Although I think Che was wrong saying Miranda brought her husband and son into their relationship.  Once Miranda was with Che she barely acknowledged she had a husband and son.  Until it became a plot point to cause friction between Che and Miranda.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I hate that the show is already prepping things to make Aidan the asshole in the breakup for daring to prioritizing his children. Carrie is too solipsistic to take care of another living thing; I would t trust her with a houseplant, much less a kitten.

Carrie is way too much of a narcissist to even consider maybe Aidan's children would take priority over her.  She probably really did think it was going to be all sunshine and roses. Aidan would come to NYC all the time when  he doesn't have his kids. And when he does have kids he will just bring them to NYC.  When you are involved with someone who has kids, especially someone who is sharing custody, things aren't always easy.  

56 minutes ago, Cloudly said:

Steve. What a cute place and his lines felt so real and Steve-y (if still doddering). Did Aidan say he had invested money in the Coney Island joint?? Thought they were finally gonna address the business connections re: Scout but no. Oh well.

They did mention Scout in passing when they were at the new place on Coney Island. And Steve had/has a brother?

I was hoping she actually had an abortion and just wanted to keep it to herself

If she hadn't said I thought about it but couldn't I would think she did in fact have an abortion and the bleeding was after taking the second pill.

Carrie. Full disclosure, I've always hated her character. Still so pick-me, still so vapid, still so unconcerned with other people's feelings.

That is one thing that has stayed consistent throughout SATC and now AJLT.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 11
3 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

Aidan's kid is definitely going to be the endgame blocker. Eeyup.

And Just Like That... LTW wasn't really pregnant, as most predicted.

I speculated that Wyatt attempted suicide, but maybe that wasn't the case.

Yep. I had a feeling Lisa wasn't pregnant.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I think she was pregnant, but they resorted to the miscarriage dodge. 

Yes.  I think the timeline is this episode was five weeks after last week's episode because Miranda's boss said she had been off on maternity leave for five weeks. That is assuming she gave birth shortly after taking maternity leave. So if LTW thought she was pregnant and hadn't made it to a doctor yet I would be surprised.  On the other hand timelines on this show are whatever they want it to be. So maybe it was two days after last week's episode.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Although I think Che was wrong saying Miranda brought her husband and son into their relationship.  Once Miranda was with Che she barely acknowledged she had a husband and son.  Until it became a plot point to cause friction between Che and Miranda.

Okay maybe ONE lie detected lol but I still stand by what I said.

• Like 2

Totally hilarious of Che to say Miranda brought her husband and son into their relationship when wasn’t it Che’s ex-husband who was LITERALLY in their bed with them?

I’m sure Che was getting to that part though [/eyeroll].

• Like 13
  • Applause 10
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

They did mention Scout in passing when they were at the new place on Coney Island. And Steve had/has a brother?

Yeah, his name was Jackie.  He was the star of two of the most deliciously uncomfortable Mary/Miranda scenes.

First, that Mary should not have worn white to her wedding because she was already knocked up with Jackie.

Second, that she didn't have a problem with Jackie's black wife.  Everyone just THOUGHT that was why they didn't get along.

Mary was amazing.

Regardless, I agree with everything you posted.  Except one thing the LTW abortion non-talk.  I never wanted children with my ex husband.  Motherhood was never going to be my thing if I had my choice.  But if I had gotten pregnant, I would have had the baby.  Not because I would have changed my mind or because I feel abortion is wrong (staunchly pro-choice), but because that being would have been created accidentally through an act of love between us. I could never in good conscience get rid of a fetus like that.  Just my two sense on that subject.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Wow.  For the FIRST TIME Carrie is worried about Aidan?  (Or, rather, herself with Aidan).  He has kids!  One of whom is not doing well psychologically!  Wyatt obviously needs help dealing with the divorce and dad’s new relationship.  He also seems to have an alcohol and impulse-control problem.  (Why did he go to the farm if he knew Aidan wasn’t there?  I guess 14 year olds don’t think so clearly sometimes, that’s to be expected.)  And all she can say is that the broken bones will heal, she can’t even see why Aidan’s upset about his kid’s issues.  And to think, I was predicting he’d finally come to terms with the apartment thing, and his own role in the demise of the relationship with Carrie.  I was thinking he’d show up at the Last Supper.   (I hate the way he said he was never setting foot in the apartment when they weee line for Che’s concert.  He had this flirty tone like he was whispering sweet nothings).  I predict he DOES show up, and he tells her he accepts what happened, but that they can’t see each other again because of his kids.  Then they can have “closure,” on both the relationship and on John Corbett’s commitment to the series.  I guess she’ll stay in the Gramercy Park apartment, because she didn’t just sublet to Lisette like a normal person would, she sold it, at too low a price.  Even this show wouldn’t make Lisette give it back.

Lisa- I have no idea what on earth they were trying to do with this stupid pregnancy.  They weren’t doing an abortion plot, obviously.  (But they were sure to have her share her - and the show’s - liberal bona fides by saying the totally clunky dialogue about “of course, I am grateful to have that option.”)  And then they go and take the time-immemorial TV way out of an unplanned pregnancy, a convenient miscarriage!  So what was the point?  For her to realize she has too much on her plate?  For her husband to realize he should help out more?  And why didn’t she, once she realized her hubby didn’t actually get the vasectomy eight years ago, get an IUD or something?  Did he not tell her?  Was this the first she’s hearing about it?  That’s unconscionable, but if that’s the case, why did it take till now to get pregnant again?  

Nya/Seema:  I appreciate that this episode managed to include all of the characters.  But these two did very little.  Nya…bought a stroller and listened to Miranda.  Like that she got a little snippy with Miranda about her exes.   Seema…said I love you and then was promptly shut down so Carrie could talk about HER problems.  These characters, and actresses, deserve better.  Perhaps their own spinoff.

Miranda:  she’s upset about SKIPPER?  What about her husband of 20 years and the father of her child?  On the other hand, I think Carrie was giving her too much grief about not seeing Steve now.  She shouldn’t have to go see his new restaurant, they’re divorced.  I do think she left him very abruptly and took off with Che, if that’s what is meant by “cutting him off,” and I do think she shouldn’t be afraid to show up to the Last Supper if he’s there.   (Che is a different story, which I will get to.)  Glad Miranda’s new job is going well.  Still not believable that she is only an intern, they could’ve given her a legal clerkship.  (They probably never thought of it). The woman took five weeks’ maternity leave?  Crazy.  (The old joke of referring to your baby as your “new boss” is just so cringe.  You know who your new boss is?  Your old boss.  Who wouldn’t let you stay home more than five weeks with A NEWBORN BABY.)

Charlotte- hilarious.  I can always relate to her storylines.  She did have a life before!  Still, no way I’m leaving my job to run home and bring something to my kid when she should’ve packed it the night before.  This is a lesson every kid needs to learn, hopefully it happens only once.  You forget it, you get the F.  And no way I’m asking my husband to do it, either, or giving him a guilt trip about it.  How many nebbishy henpecked jokes can they make with this otherwise successful, smart and assertive cutthroat lawyer?  So cute that she “tamed” him!  (Barf).  

Anthony: Sure, nobody should say they are, or the other person is, “the woman” in a gay relationship, that’s outdated and offensive to gay men (and women in general).  But, if Anthony doesn’t want to do a particular activity, he should not have to.  I wouldn’t want to do anal, and if somebody insisted that I do so for some political reason I’d be out of there.  (Of course, I’m not a man, it might feel different for them, but I imagine that not all gay men are into that.)  I guess the other guy felt like Anthony was just objecting on philosophical grounds, because he is “a top.”  The guy seemed to think Anthony would enjoy it if he could just get over his old-fashioned beliefs about what it meant.  But maybe he just wasn’t comfortable being penetrated.  That wasn’t made clear.  His preferences should be respected.  Physical tastes don’t change just because the politics have.

Stanford!  I thought it was disrespectful to Willie Garson for them to have Anthony make fun of him.  Still, I thought the send off of making him transcend to a higher plane of existence was poignant.  

And now…Che!  First of all, are we going to get a clunky reminder every episode that Che’s pronoun is “They,” and that so many people “just …don’t …get it…man?”  Enough.  We want to watch a show, not a polemic.  Also, Che’s standup is not funny, nor was Cheryl’s.  (Are we to take from this that part of the reason Che was unhappy as Cheryl and eventually came out as non-binary was because Cheryl had to diet to please men?  There must be more to it than that.)  Che’s set about Miranda was just awful.  Talking about how inept Miranda was sexually?  Even male comics don’t talk like that about women.  (Women comics sometimes talk about how men are inept, but not quite like that).  And it wasn’t “just comedy,” either, no matter what Che says.  It came off as how Che really felt, and it was vile.  Che broke the cardinal rule of comedy- you can be mean, as long as you are funny.  It wasn’t funny.  Miranda was totally right to be hurt and to tell Che off.  Che is just awful, selfish, unfunny, and mean.  Full stop. But of course, Toby thinks Che can do no wrong.  I assume we are supposed to side with Toby?  Sorry, no.    I do like the co worker in the vet’s office.  

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Like 11
  • Applause 7
6 hours ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

I get why Aidan is beating himself up thinking he should’ve been there.  I don’t think that’s true, I think Aidan is entitled to a life of his own, and Wyatt needs help to see that.  I think even if Aidan had been there, the kid would still be messed up and getting into some pretty bad trouble.  But it’s understandable Aidan feels that way.  And, knowing Carrie, she won’t understand that.

• Like 8
50 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

I get why Aidan is beating himself up thinking he should’ve been there.  I don’t think that’s true, I think Aidan is entitled to a life of his own, and Wyatt needs help to see that.  I think even if Aidan had been there, the kid would still be messed up and getting into some pretty bad trouble.  But it’s understandable Aidan feels that way.  And, knowing Carrie, she won’t understand that.

I agree- the only thing predictable about teenagers is that they are unpredictable.

His Mother has every right to ask Carrie not use her kids as material for her writing, and still be surprised when one sneaks out of the house. It doesn’t make her irresponsible.

Che- yes, I was with everyone else, they were awful. But I’m a veteran soap watcher and could recognize the softening of the character. We began to see their vulnerability. This will be very unpopular, but I cannot see what they saw in Miranda?

Che is a (supposedly) hip comedian, stoner, proud (podcast) non-binary, free spirit. Miranda is an uptight, confused snob. (My son is a french fry maker 😩)

Also unpopular- Charlotte is a child! Kristen Davis’s acting just gets worse and worse. 

Im not convinced that LTW didn’t have that abortion. Otherwise what was the point of that storyline?

And Carrie ignored the look on Aidan’s when she showed him her new place. I would have been worried then.

• Like 12
2 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Agree - Something might have happened regardless of Aidan being there or not. Also it was not his weekend. And didn't the son get his phone taken away by his mother - pure speculation on my part - but it sounds like Wyatt is wither a typical teen lashing out at his mom who is probably stricter than Aidan, or he resents Aidan going to NYC and is playing the parents against each other. Either way the kid has mental health issues - like most teens do these days - and Carrie didn't really come across as understanding that. The question is whether Wyatt was getting help all along - there were lots of signs from the little interactions we saw and I am sure a school/teacher/counselor would have been on it right away.

I hope Carrie and Aidan find a way to work through this - Wyatt does need help, but he is 14 - and my 14 year old went through a really tough time when my ex and I were getting divorced, long story but my ex was bipolar and an alcoholic so everything a parent should NOT do during a divorce to kids, he did, plus my son was coming to terms with revealing he was trans and there were other issues. I made sure to  get therapy, individual and family and other mental health treatments right away - (and no he did not hitchhike 30 miles, drink beer and crash my car..) 

My point being is that Aidan can still be there for his son and continue with Carrie - it might slow down a bit- but his son will be better with the right help and off to college. My oldest I am happy to say is off to college in less than 2 weeks and is thriving. From where he was at 14/15 to now is astounding - it took work but here we are. So it is possible for Aidan to be the dad he needs to be and continue with his life. 

Edited by zamp33
typo - I typed pat when I meant part
  • Like 11
  • Hugs 3
  • Applause 3
47 minutes ago, 2JEWELL said:

I agree- the only thing predictable about teenagers is that they are unpredictable.

His Mother has every right to ask Carrie not use her kids as material for her writing, and still be surprised when one sneaks out of the house. It doesn’t make her irresponsible.

Che- yes, I was with everyone else, they were awful. But I’m a veteran soap watcher and could recognize the softening of the character. We began to see their vulnerability. This will be very unpopular, but I cannot see what they saw in Miranda?

Che is a (supposedly) hip comedian, stoner, proud (podcast) non-binary, free spirit. Miranda is an uptight, confused snob. (My son is a french fry maker 😩)

Also unpopular- Charlotte is a child! Kristen Davis’s acting just gets worse and worse. 

Im not convinced that LTW didn’t have that abortion. Otherwise what was the point of that storyline?

And Carrie ignored the look on Aidan’s when she showed him her new place. I would have been worried then.

I don’t think there WAS a point to the LTW story.  I honestly think they just didn’t know what to do with the character.  She’s basically a Black Charlotte.  They tried the mother in law angle.  They couldn’t think of more.  I suppose she could’ve had a medication abortion, but why would she keep that from her husband?  He was willing to talk about it, she’s the one who shut it down

And, yes, Carrie is an idiot.  She keeps calling it “our place,” when Aidan made it clear she shouldn’t be buying it just for him.  He looks uncomfortable.  And how can it be “their place” when he’s only there sometimes, and she owns it?  I mean, Carrie was always a bit like this with men, but this time it just doesn’t ring true that she would have learned nothing, that she would still be behaving like this in her 50’s.  It’s pretty basic that you don’t move that fast with someone.  Shes like willfully not seeing or hearing stuff, about him, about his kids, nada. She’s so obviously deluding herself, but it feels like the writers are deluding us into thinking it’s totally normal for her to behave like this, that we all delude ourselves when we are in love, and she will eventually realize.  We do delude ourselves, but not like this, not over the age of about 25-30, not with her life experience.

• Like 8
58 minutes ago, 2JEWELL said:

You make a good point. Che is not written as a character who would be attracted to someone like Miranda.  That’s probably because the writers did not intend for that to happen, and it only did because of Cynthia Nixon.  Once Cynthia intervened, they went ahead with the romance but didn’t bother to change Che’s character into someone who would be a better fit.  I really don’t see how they could have, and kept Che as Che.  And yes, I do think they were trying to rehabilitate Che, and it almost was working. But that comedy set single-handedly destroyed any hope of that, at least for me.  I never want to see Che on my Tv again.  It was just a hateful, gratuitous screed against someone who had done nothing to deserve such treatment.  Miranda may have not been a good fit for Che, and she may have been shitty to Steve, but she wasn’t ever mean to Che.  (Also, did Che say something about “I’d rather slam my dick in a door?” Was that metaphorical?) 

• Like 3
  • Applause 8

Two things can be true at the same time. Miranda has every right to feel genuinely hurt by Che, and it probably is karma to how she ended things with Steve.

Che is just an awful person. And yeah, the standup bit wasn't even that funny. I think any person has the right to be upset if something that means a lot to them (Miranda's perception of her relationship with Che), is made fun of by that other party.

But as viewers this is nothing new to us. Miranda values her relationship with Che because it was her sexual awakening, and the permission to be finally her true self, but she was just a booty call to them. There has been no romance nor tenderness from Che's side towards Miranda in their entire relationship. Too bad Miranda was too blinded to see that.

• Like 16
1 hour ago, 2JEWELL said:

This will be very unpopular, but I cannot see what they saw in Miranda?

Not unpopular with me.  Everything Che said about Miranda was true except her bringing her husband and kid into their bed. No Che you brought your husband into your bed. They were not a good match. Had zero chemistry. Were at different points in their lives. I could go on.

1 hour ago, 2JEWELL said:

On another show I would expect that she did and her husband finds out and is upset. But on this show I doubt the pregnancy or miscarriage will ever be referenced again. It's like they came up with  (and I use the word loosely) this  storyline to give them something to do this episode.

34 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

And, yes, Carrie is an idiot.  

No argument from me.

I mean, Carrie was always a bit like this with men, but this time it just doesn’t ring true that she would have learned nothing, that she would still be behaving like this in her 50’s.

But this is who Carrie is. And making super rich doesn't help.  When they showed the recap from the last episode and she was  just so blase about buying what I assume is a multi million dollar house it was like nails on a chalkboard for me.  It's like she thinks she is living a charmed life and things will just work themselves out. 

She’s so obviously deluding herself, but it feels like the writers are deluding us into thinking it’s totally normal for her to behave like this, that we all delude ourselves when we are in love, and she will eventually realize.

I doubt the show will do this but Carrie might be rushing things with Aidan because she misses her husband and wants to feel that love and security again.  If I was writing this show I would have her call Aidan John.  Or at the very least refer to Aidan as John when talking about him to someone. 

13 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Miranda values her relationship with Che because it was her sexual awakening, and the permission to be finally her true self, but she was just a booty call to them. There has been no romance nor tenderness from Che's side towards Miranda in their entire relationship. Too bad Miranda was too blinded to see that.

The show should have had Che end things with Miranda at some point last season.  It would have made sense.  Che was looking for a fling and Miranda was getting clingy.  That could have set the stage for Miranda to move on and find someone she was more compatible with.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 13
8 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

The show should have had Che end things with Miranda at some point last season.  It would have made sense.  Che was looking for a fling and Miranda was getting clingy.  That could have set the stage for Miranda to move on and find someone she was more compatible with.

Che moving to LA would have been the perfect end point for both of them in the show. Che moving on to "bigger" things, and Miranda realizing she's LGBTQ. Che moving to LA should have been the end of them in AJLT.

Then we wouldn't have been subjected to the horrible subplot of their failed pilot, and Miranda could have had a hotter and much nicer partner this season. Or her storyline could have concentrated more on her new career in the UN, and dealing with Brady and her divorce with Steve.

• Like 12
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I found that the whole Che inviting Miranda  to go to California never made sense for either character. Che was pretty up front about their expectations of relationships, you would think they would want to go to California and focus solely on the show - gosh that show feels like it did not occur in this season. 

Che's standup was once again not funny - and if they knew that Carrie was coming they should have given her a heads up that they were going to talk about Miranda. Miranda has been one of Carrie's closest friends for years. 

• Like 19

Everything about the characters in this episode has been said, but I have to bring up one thing. I live in the Sheepshead Bay/Brighton Beach area of Brooklyn and have done so all my life (60 years).  It's a stone's throw from Coney Island.  The way they made Coney Island and the boardwalk look in this episode was beautiful.  That's not the way it really looks.  Most of the time the beach, boardwalk and amusement area looks like a shithole.  I was there 2 weeks ago because we were craving a Nathan's hotdog.  I have to assume the set crew came in and "cleaned up" the place significantly.  If it looked like it did in this episode, I would be there more often.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 12
14 minutes ago, Linda956 said:

Everything about the characters in this episode has been said, but I have to bring up one thing. I live in the Sheepshead Bay/Brighton Beach area of Brooklyn and have done so all my life (60 years).  It's a stone's throw from Coney Island.  The way they made Coney Island and the boardwalk look in this episode was beautiful.  That's not the way it really looks.  Most of the time the beach, boardwalk and amusement area looks like a shithole.  I was there 2 weeks ago because we were craving a Nathan's hotdog.  I have to assume the set crew came in and "cleaned up" the place significantly.  If it looked like it did in this episode, I would be there more often.

I thought the same. Also, Carrie referring to Steve's new hot dog stand as "kinda magical" got a snort out of me. But at least they were painting the Steve stuff in a positive light.

• Like 10
5 minutes ago, Night Cheese said:

I thought the same. Also, Carrie referring to Steve's new hot dog stand as "kinda magical" got a snort out of me. But at least they were painting the Steve stuff in a positive light.

I was amazed at how Steve had moved on, with his talk about “all that stuff that happened with Miranda,” like it was years ago.  It seemed like it was only weeks ago (it was only like two episodes!). 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

I was amazed at how Steve had moved on, with his talk about “all that stuff that happened with Miranda,” like it was years ago.  It seemed like it was only weeks ago (it was only like two episodes!). 

I guess time flies while we're over here banging our heads against the wall about the crappy writing.

Re: Che claiming Miranda brought Steve and Brady into their relationship: they may have been talking about Miranda insisting on being there every morning to wake Brady up on time and make breakfast. That seemed to cramp Che's life and schedule. Not that I'm defending how immature Che acted when they got all pissed off that Miranda's alarm was going off or that Miranda wanted to be more proactive in Bradys life, but I can see that Che might consider that baggage.

• Like 10