Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Driad said:

Are the producers telling contestants to say the entire category name now?

Yes, that was stated a while back.  It's annoying.

• Like 9
22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I thought I was going to struggle in the rappers category,

I thought I'd tank it, so getting three in a row was pretty surprising. (Didn't know 50 Cent or Chuck D. Dr. Dre was a guess, and Queen Latifah kind of was, too, but the capitalized "Queen" in the clue sort of made it obvious. Ice-T I knew because of SVU.)

7 minutes ago, Driad said:

Are the producers telling contestants to say the entire category name now? I got tired of hearing "Lending You a Poker Hand" when "Poker" would have identified the category and saved time.

This came up a while ago; apparently they started asking them to do this at least since the beginning of the season. At least once tonight someone (Nicole, I think) shortened the category then corrected herself and read the whole thing. It gets annoying with the longer category names.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm always disappointed when someone says "Fifty" rather than "Fiddy" Cents.

I know! It’s actually fun to say. (Athough, to be precise, it’s Fiddy Cent… no “s”.)

The husband and I both preguessed Huey Long, without conferring. Although, to be fair, does this show know another Southern politician?

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

(Athough, to be precise, it’s Fiddy Cent… no “s”.)

I know that, but what I don't know is why I typed that S, so I'm glad you pointed it out; it's fixed now.

• Useful 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Driad said:

Are the producers telling contestants to say the entire category name now?

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yes, that was stated a while back.  It's annoying.

Annoying but helpful too, for those of us in the target audience:
👴🏻👵🏼👴🏽👵🏻👵🏽
Sorry.

I got tired of hearing "Lending You a Poker Hand" when "Poker" would have identified the category and saved time.

Yes, just ”POKER” would have been sufficient.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Darn, I was rooting for Long (not Huey).

Whereas I'm thrilled to death that he lost because I couldn't stand him.

Are the producers telling contestants to say the entire category name now? I got tired of hearing "Lending You a Poker Hand" when "Poker" would have identified the category and saved time.

Given that every single contestant has done that so far this season with every single clue, I'm gonna say yes, they are being told to say the entire title.

18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I feel like I should have known FJ tonight, but I didn't even have a guess.  

But I did get the TS of Canyon de Chelly, eye in the sky, and anthrax.

I said Huey Long even though it was a complete guess and I actually thought the year was too early for him.  I got anthrax, though; that seemed so obvious.  On the other hand, I said Chaco Canyon and then realized that was in New Mexico.  Couldn't come up with Canyon de Chelly quickly after that.

• Like 1

Early in our relationship, my husband suggested I read William Penn Warren's All the King's Men. I tried but couldn't make it through the book. Later I started watching one of the movies made from the book. Couldn't make it through that either. But it got me to Huey Long.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Annoying but helpful too, for those of us in the target audience:
👴🏻👵🏼👴🏽👵🏻👵🏽

Or those of us who play 90% aurally because we’re also making dinner.

I don’t even notice most of the time, unless the category name is especially long. And then I think we can agree, it’s annoying for everyone.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

February 14 ❤:

80% / 63% / 72%

Good first round, not so good second. In J I ran Low Tech, missed two in So Far Away, and one in everything else. In DJ I ran 1970s Movies, missed one in Kid Kings & Queens, two in Snakes in a Book and 10-Letter Words, and three in Organizations and Air.

FJ was an instaget. It was the only thing that made sense.

TSes: (J had 3; DJ had 5 + 1DD) I got sheep, American Ornithological Society, and water vapor.

• Like 3

FJ was an instaget and I got American Ornithological Society and changeling but that's about it. Was surprised they didn't get changeling but maybe that's from my fantasy reading?

• Like 3

I got FJ.

I got the missed clues of Uruguay (I think the contestants were honing in on the Holland part), sheep (after I said goats), American Ornithological Society, American Legion, and changeling.

I got the entire category of kid kings right and the entire category of air wrong.  Hope I don't have to breathe any time in the near future.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

I thought FJ was an instaget, but I'm gobsmacked - I looked it up on the Broadway Database (ibdb.com) and Struthers played the neatnik & Moreno was the slob.  I would have sworn it would have been the other way around. I bet they had fun.

• Like 9

The most instagettiest of instagets tonight.  Once upon a time, I was part of a local community theatre group, and one season we produced that play.  I was one of the friends.  It's a funny show.

I also got the TS of sheep, American Ornithological Society, and changeling.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

sheep (after I said goats)

I was leaning geese instead of goats but then went sheep after goats and geese were both ruled out.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

The most instagettiest of instagets tonight.

I was shocked that they didn't all get it, but I grew up on the Tony Randall/Jack Klugman sitcom version and knew that there had been a female version of the play. (Although if they had asked me to name who had played Florence and Olive I would not have come close to thinking of the correct response.) Elliott just whiffed it and Ilhana went too highbrow. I was rooting for Vince though so I was glad he got it.

• Like 3

I was going to be so disappointed if Ken didn't say "Talkin' about Shaft" and he didn't let me down.

I only ran low tech in the first round (appropriate, since I'm pretty low tech), but I got all but one each in the rest, so it wasn't bad. 

I blew snakes entirely and missed three in kings and queens, plus missed two in words when vocabulary categories are usually my jam, so I did not have a great DJ.  But I did run the other three.

Third instaget FJ in a row, though, so I ended on a high note.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I have never heard of a distaff Odd Couple, but a play with two characters,  names starting with an O and a F, led me quickly to the answer.

I was rooting pretty hard against Vince, once he mentioned Yogesh as an ally. So of course he won. Ugh.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1

The Odd Couple was an instaget - even though I had no idea it was a gender reversed play on Broadway. I'm not sure what clued me in.

Like @Prevailing Wind I would have guessed the neatnik was Moreno and the slob Struthers.

I was disappointed Long didn't make win, but them's the breaks.

• Like 6
16 hours ago, dgpolo said:

FJ was an instaget and I got American Ornithological Society and changeling but that's about it. Was surprised they didn't get changeling but maybe that's from my fantasy reading?

I got changeling.  Didn't get AOS, partly because I forgot that the answer needed "American" in it.  I did get American Legion, though.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think the contestants were honing in on the Holland part

That's what I did.

15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I thought FJ was an instaget, but I'm gobsmacked - I looked it up on the Broadway Database (ibdb.com) and Struthers played the neatnik & Moreno was the slob.  I would have sworn it would have been the other way around. I bet they had fun.

Not an instaget for me but I did get it after a moment or two.

13 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Hold on, I think I know changeling from Shakespeare! The fairies in A Midsummer Night's Dream.

I know it from stories about selkie changelings in European folklore.  One of the fantasy authors of whom I was quite fond used the motif a few times.

I only got one clue wrong in the first round (Uruguay).  Then I got a bunch wrong in DJ.  I did, however, run Snakes In A Book, 1970s Movies and Those Meddling Kid Kings & Queens.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I was rooting pretty hard against Vince, once he mentioned Yogesh as an ally. So of course he won. Ugh.

If it hadn't been for that, I would've really liked him.  Ugh, indeed.

• Like 4

February 15:

77% / 80% / 79%

Pretty good game…in J I ran Jackson and Chemistry Test, missed one in Pop Music, and two in everything else. In DJ I ran One-Word Play Titles, missed two in Dealing with things Diplomatically, and one in everything else.

I got FJ (not quite an instaget but pretty quick).

TSes: (J had 3; DJ had 3) I got Gospel, keelhauling, and New Orleans.

• Like 2

I got FJ.  Almost switched to the Eiffel tower, but realized that has 4 legs, not 2.

I got the missed clues of sentry, keelhaul and New Orleans.  So, next weekend I think I'll keelhaul a sentry in New Orleans.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
25 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.  Almost switched to the Eiffel tower, but realized that has 4 legs, not 2.

Same here.

And I got the TS of gospel, keelhauling, and New Orleans.  I was surprised they missed New Orleans, with Louisiana in the clue.  Actually, I was kind of surprised they all missed FJ.

• Like 7
26 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of sentry, keelhaul and New Orleans.  So, next weekend I think I'll keelhaul a sentry in New Orleans.

I guess I can keelhaul a Gospel singer in New Orleans?

• Wink 1
  • LOL 5

February 16:

73% / 57% / 66%

Not a great game…First round was decent; missed one in Dog's Life, That's Got 2 Hyphens, Transportation, and Cuban, and two in Presidential TV and Fiction & Nonfiction.

Second round wasn't so decent…missed one in Notable Names, two in Mythology, Describing the Song, and Oh "My" Word!, and three in Canadian Geography and Science Stuff (weird that I did better in Mythology than Science…),

But FJ was an instaget again. Did pretty well in FJs this week.

TSes: (J had 2; DJ had 6 + 1DD) I got Harry Truman, Camila Cabello (though that wasn't truly a TS, since it was ruled after the fact that he mispronounced it), Shirley Chisholm, and Ernest Shackleton.

I liked Mira's dress.

• Like 6

I got FJ.  And i think that means I only missed Monday's.  That is not normal for me.  I'm usually lucky if I get two right in a week.

I got the missed clues of Truman and Huron.

I got the entire categories of 2 hyphens and dogs right (don't tell my cat).

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I had to think about FJ for a second, but I got there in time.

I also got the TS of Harry Truman and Ernest Shackleton.

8 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Can't stand Mira's voice

She does have a bad case of vocal fry.

• Like 6

I'm so happy I'm not the only one who got Shirley Chisholm! 

There seemed to be a very friendly dynamic amongst the contestants this episode. It reminded me of what we saw at the championship of champions (I can't remember what they called it)-- the one with all the super champions competing against each other.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Can't stand Mira's voice

I was hoping she wouldn't win so that I wouldn't have to listen to her in another game.  I noticed that she dropped the vocal fry a couple of times, so that makes me think she really does know she's using it.  It's not cute, and I think it makes woman who use it sound less intelligent than they are.  If it hadn't been for the mythology category, I think she might not have won.  She lucked out on the daily doubles. 

• Like 5

February 19:

77% / 57% / 67%

Pretty good first round, pretty bad second…In J I ran TV Coaches and It's All "Small" Stuff, missed one in States' Highway Welcome Signs and Heavy, two in Their Name's a Bible Book, and three in Potent Quotables. In DJ I missed one in Awards & Honors and Plant Lore, two in Geographic Book Titles, Pop, and The Question?, and four-and-a-half in National Statuary Hall (I got half of the Hawaii question).

FJ was a near-instaget. (My first thought was pertussis, aka whooping cough, and I got it from there).

TSes: (J had 5; DJ had 6) I got Small Business Administration, yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum, Kyle Chandler (not sure why I know that; I've never watched Friday Night Lights, and I'm not sure I'd have gotten him just from the picture), and Yale.

• Like 3

FJ was obvious to me after the answer was revealed, but I had no idea before.  I said bleeding for lack of anything better.  I actually just wanted to say tussive, but knew that wouldn't fly.

I got the missed clues of yo ho ho and a bottle of rum, whisky, Kyle Chandler, Eisenhower, Congo, and Calhoun

I got the entire category of heavy right.

Had a fairly good first round, not so good second and tanked final to wind up with a fairly large sum owed to Jeopardy.

• Like 3

I got FJ thanks to Robitussin, I said Yale just to say something so I got that too. And that's about it, my excuse is I was distracted through most of the show.

• Like 4

I was kind of disappointed with FJ. The question was really just asking what an antitussive is (and were given the name "Buckley") - IMO too easy for FJ. I know everything is easy if you know it, but for FJ I'd expect more.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I said Yale just to say something so I got that too. 

lol...that's how I got that one, too. I almost said Harvard but changed my mind for no real reason.

• Like 3

I'm a little surprised they didn't figure out what the A was in the small business agency -- I wonder if the first contestant had just said SBA if that would have been accepted or resulted in a BMS prompt.

I ran heavy, small, and potent quotables (and, man, do I want a drink now -- I'm temporarily on meds that don't allow it) and got all but one in welcome signs (I joined the contestants in being stumped by Great Lakes and then rolled my eyes at all of us when it was revealed), but missed three in coaches and two in Bible books, so the first round was not one of my finest.

It was bloody brilliant compared to my DJ performance, though; not only did I not run a damn thing, I didn't even get all but one in anything.  I missed two each in questions and books and three each in all the rest.  Quite possibly my worst round ever.  Maybe I'm being more affected by my painkillers than I think. 

FJ was an instaget, though (for the reasons Ken said).

• Like 5
(edited)
18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

February 19:

77% / 57% / 67%

Pretty good first round, pretty bad second…In J I ran TV Coaches and It's All "Small" Stuff, missed one in States' Highway Welcome Signs and Heavy, two in Their Name's a Bible Book, and three in Potent Quotables. In DJ I missed one in Awards & Honors and Plant Lore, two in Geographic Book Titles, Pop, and The Question?, and four-and-a-half in National Statuary Hall (I got half of the Hawaii question).

FJ was a near-instaget. (My first thought was pertussis, aka whooping cough, and I got it from there).

TSes: (J had 5; DJ had 6) I got Small Business Administration, yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum, Kyle Chandler (not sure why I know that; I've never watched Friday Night Lights, and I'm not sure I'd have gotten him just from the picture), and Yale.

Maybe you saw him in a different role - I first saw him in Early Edition. Also he was in Super8 and a bunch of other stuff.

6 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Not sure why FJ category was "Canadian Medicine".  "Canadian" was not remotely pertinent 

It was a Nova Scotian doctor who invented(? they said devised) a widely used cough medicine so that's where Canada comes in.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

surprised they didn't figure out what the A was in the small business agency -- I wonder if the first contestant had just said SBA if that would have been accepted

Since the category was "It's all "small" (notice the quotation marks) stuff", you must include "small" in any correct response. SBA won't qualify, so not accepted. 

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Since the category was "It's all "small" (notice the quotation marks) stuff", you must include "small" in any correct response. SBA won't qualify, so not accepted. 

Ah, yes, of course.  I guess in the 15 minutes between watching and posting, I forgot the category.  I hope my brain is working better tonight!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • LOL 3

February 20:

73% / 53% / 64%

Decent first round…ran US Postal Service and Smell, and missed two in everything else.

Terrible second round…ran Bodies of Water, missed one in Taking Flight, two in Literary Helpers, three in 4,4, and four in Artists and Action Movies.

I got FJ! I wasn't thinking of the right reason, but I got it!

TSes: (J had 3 + the DD; DJ had 6) I got submarine, slush pile, uranium, and The Importance of Being Ernest. And the second half of stop bath.

15 minutes ago, Bliss said:

The highlight of tonight's show for me was Jesse "doing" Owen Wilson.

That and Ken having to read the word "boobage" in a clue. 😄

• Applause 2
  • LOL 7