Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Like most of us, my brain said India= Kipling, and you know they did that to trick us. But I don’t think of Kipling as a poet, so I then focused on the wild animal part and  “tyger tyger burning bright” /Blake came to me just in the nick of time. Not sure if I would have had time to write it down, but I’m a fast scribbler so I’m claiming it.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was quite sad that Matthew Shepard was a TS.

If it's any consolation at all, I knew who they were asking for, but blanked on his name. Maybe at least one of the contestants had the same problem.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

If it's any consolation at all, I knew who they were asking for, but blanked on his name. Maybe at least one of the contestants had the same problem.

This non-contestant had the same problem.  I was sad too that he was a ts.

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS of Sidney Carton, Christmas tree, Matthew Shepard, and Liffey.  I was quite sad that Matthew Shepard was a TS.  

I was sad I couldn't get his name out of my brain - I knew who it was, just couldn't get there in time.

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I knew Dada.

IEWYKI™️ (It's Easy When You Know It)

I never know Dada.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I have never heard of Caesar's wife being above reproach, only suspicion, so I was surprised they accepted that.

https://latin.stackexchange.com/questions/18145/origin-and-actual-quote-of-the-proverb-caesars-wife-must-be-above-suspicion

It does not say "reproach"--"accusation" & "suspicion" but not reproach. 

For the record, I Googled "Caesar's wife above" and all the hits were "above suspicion".

Edited by illdoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Another o.k. but not great game. In the J round I ran "Pithy Quotes" and got 4 in "Sounds Like a Language". In DJ I ran "Broadway Musical Settings" and got 4 in "Name the James". Only TS/missed DD was Lazarus (DD).

At least I ended the week with a FJ get. Don't know what it was about the clue that made this Disney fan think of Peter Pan, but somehow everything came together to get me there.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

November 17:

87% / 63% / 74%

Flipping the script a bit from the last couple days…great first round, meh second. But no FJ again.

In J! I ran Curls Gone Wild, Bones, and Sounds Like a Language, missed one in Pithy Quotes and Tricky Questions, and two in Springsteen Lyrics.

In DJ I missed one in Name the James and Broadway Musical Settings, three in Musical Instruments, and two each in the rest.

TSes: (J had 1 + the DD; DJ had 3) I got Lazarus (DD) and James Fenimore Cooper.

Ken's reading of I'm On Fire was really creepy. But I guess a song that starts with "Hey little girl, is your daddy home?" is pretty creepy anyway.

Didn't remember Carrie but I did remember the emotional support kitten story.

• Like 5

I said Johnathan Livingston Seagull changed it to Peter Pan and then changed to Tarzan, almost changed back to Peter Pan, but decided not to.  

I got the missed clues of Lazarus and James Fenimore Cooper.

I got the entire categories of quotes and musicals right.  I have been getting a lot of Broadway and musical questions right lately, and it's weird.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the entire categories of quotes and musicals right.  I have been getting a lot of Broadway and musical questions right lately, and it's weird.  

I tend to do well in Broadway categories. I used to do trips to New York where I binged on Broadway shows and had a subscription to Broadway in Chicago for a number of years. Since I can't do that these days I sometimes miss clues about current shows, but today's clues were in my wheelhouse.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I did not get FJ, but I feel like I should have!  It was a "d'oh!" moment when the correct response was revealed.

And I only got two TS:  1661, and James Fenimore Cooper.  1661 was a wild-ass guess, just based on the category name.  I was gobsmacked that it was correct.

As a watcher of The Amazing Race, I got 1991 immediately -- before Ken finished reading the clue, and without getting to go up in a glider.

• Like 6
  • LOL 5
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did not get FJ, but I feel like I should have!  It was a "d'oh!" moment when the correct response was revealed.

And I only got two TS:  1661, and James Fenimore Cooper.  1661 was a wild-ass guess, just based on the category name.  I was gobsmacked that it was correct.

As a watcher of The Amazing Race, I got 1991 immediately -- before Ken finished reading the clue, and without getting to go up in a glider.

I immediately thought Peter Pan but desperately tried to think of someone else and when time ran out I sorta said 'Oh well, Peter Pan then' so I was very happy!

When I saw the date category I said to myself, one of them -has- to be 1991 (because of the Amazing Race) and yep, when that one came up I got it right away. I'm usually awful with any kind of numbers but I got most of the dates simply from having a vague idea of what century it took place and knowing it had to be a palindrome.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I'm usually awful with any kind of numbers but I got most of the dates simply from having a vague idea of what century it took place and knowing it had to be a palindrome.

Me, too. The palindrome gimmick meant that you really only had to figure out the correct century, and then the rest of the date filled itself in automatically. 😀

• Like 7
21 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

I guessed Christopher Robin.  Eh.

I’ll do you one better. My thought process went something like: 

What character is a cross between a boy and a bird? Someone with wings?… nothing. Maybe a beak? A long nose, perhaps?

I got so far down that ridiculous rabbit hole that flying never even occurred to me. I said Pinocchio.

Feel free to laugh at me.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2

My thought process fortunately got me to Peter Pan. Bird made me think fly which made the song "You Can Fly! You Can Fly! You Can Fly!" pop into my head. The song is from Peter Pan and he is the boy who won't grow up. Then I thought the date could work for J. M. Barrie so that was my answer. Fortunately it didn't take as long for me to think this thru as it took me to write this post.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
42 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

What character is a cross between a boy and a bird? Someone with wings?… nothing. Maybe a beak? A long nose, perhaps?

I got so far down that ridiculous rabbit hole that flying never even occurred to me. I said Pinocchio.

No laughing from me!  I didn't have a guess at all.  The "betwixt and between" sounded familiar, but I couldn't place that, nor could I identify a boy who was part bird.  My brain went to other bird features besides wings -- if I'd managed to get to wings and flying, I might have had a chance.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I was so far off the beam I said Tom Sawyer.  I have no idea why he came to mind.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
19 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I laugh only because my mind went down that road for a bit too.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
On 11/19/2023 at 1:01 PM, Clanstarling said:

Well, I am a big gymnastics fan and my thought process went like this:  Cathy Rigby, one of the first great American woman gymnasts, was on a tour of PETER PAN because of her ability to "fly" through the air with her leaps.  She came to my town.  Ergo, PETER PAN.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

Split kinda game today - really good J round, DJ eh.

In the J round I ran "All God's Creatures", "Stupid Answers" and "A Little "Deb"ll Do Ya" and got 4 in "1 Man, 1 Career, 1 Team" and "Wars by Battle". TSs were iguana and U.S. Civil War.

In DJ my only good category was "A Matter of Taste". TSs were Constantine, apple and litmus.

Kinda surprised myself by getting FJ today. I was trying to do some math to see if I could figure it out, but all I decided was "it's not Taft". Finally I said "what the Hell, Grant" who I wasn't sure was from Ohio. All that matters is that I started the week with a correct FJ and that I did put it in the form of a question.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

November 20:

80% / 60% / 70%

And back to form…great first round, not great second.

In J! I ran All God's Creatures and A Little "Deb"ll Do Ya, missed one each in Wars by Battle, Stupid Answers, and Opus & Opera, and three in 1 Man/Career/Team (thanks to Ken's "Da [Bears]" impression and a Yankee player whose name I actually recognized; I fully expected to tank that category completely).

In DJ I ran Movie Sequels and A Matter of Taste, missed two in Etched in Stone, three in People in Their Element and Lesser-Known Ancient Romans, and four in There's Always Next Term.

Got all three DDs, and FJ was pretty much an instaget (well, instaguess...I didn't know if Grant was from Ohio but he was the first to come to mind that would likely have gone to West Point), once I considered whether the date made sense.

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 10!) I got iguana, Civil War, 2001: A Space Odyssey, pepper/vinegar (didn't think of salt…though I should have since I've read the book Salt by Mark Kurlansky, which has a whole section about Tabasco sauce), apple, litmus, and Constantine.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

It got very, very annoying hearing 1 Man, 1 Career, 1 Team over and over and over again. Whoever made that new rule should be subjected to listening to the Category titles over and over and over again. If I was there I'd say to hell with it, and shorten it.

I did get FJ, don't know why but it was just West Point=Grant, I didn't even know he was born in Ohio.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3

Excuse me, Ken, but Virginia is the mother of presidents, with eight, thank you very much.

Ahem.  I did get FJ, but it was a wild-ass guess, based on West Point=military=Grant.  I didn't know where he was born, either.

I also got the TS of iguana, US Civil War, 2001:A Space Odyssey, mayapple, and class.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I thought that looked kind of like Shakespeare, but then the quote threw me off and I assumed it must be some other Elizabethan-looking intellectual.

I think it was an advantage not to know much about Grant -- I also went West Point - military - Grant and didn't worry about anything else.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I agree. Presidential years are not my strong suit, yet that’s where I went. I got bogged down in the math and trying to remember who fit the time period, and time ran out before I got there. If I had just thought “president, military” and kept things simple, it would have been an easy get.

• Like 6

I'm sorry, Kevin dear, but you need to get over your baldshamedness and just get rid of the weirdest combover I've ever seen and embrace the bald.  Shave it all off darlin' or go for a tonsure, as others have done.

tonsure.jpg

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 2
On 11/19/2023 at 9:40 AM, SomeTameGazelle said:

And Henry Moore -- I got Henry Moore. I walk past his Large Two Forms fairly often.

I love Henry Moore.  When I would fly "home" to visit my parents while they were still alive, I would plan on a stop on the way from the airport at the North Yorkshire Sculpture park, which has  a truly wonderful outdoor park with Moores and other lovely sculptures in an amazing setting (think All Creatures Great and Small).  Since I don't suppose you all have a small, out of the way, somewhat obscure sculpture park on your bucket list, I'm providing a link so you can browse the delights from the comfort of home!

https://ysp.org.uk/visit-us/autumn-day-out-at-ysp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, dgpolo said:

It got very, very annoying hearing 1 Man, 1 Career, 1 Team over and over and over again.

For me too.

Good for Deanna!  She chose her DD wagers quickly, and she's a fellow southpaw!  Are there any statistics about left-handedness among Jeopardy contestants?

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
12 minutes ago, Driad said:

For me too.

Good for Deanna!  She chose her DD wagers quickly, and she's a fellow southpaw!  Are there any statistics about left-handedness among Jeopardy contestants?

I'm sure there's some sad soul living in his (ahem) mom's basement working on that for you right now.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 5
7 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I love Henry Moore.  When I would fly "home" to visit my parents while they were still alive, I would plan on a stop on the way from the airport at the North Yorkshire Sculpture park, which has  a truly wonderful outdoor park with Moores and other lovely sculptures in an amazing setting (think All Creatures Great and Small).  Since I don't suppose you all have a small, out of the way, somewhat obscure sculpture park on your bucket list, I'm providing a link so you can browse the delights from the comfort of home!

https://ysp.org.uk/visit-us/autumn-day-out-at-ysp

Here in NJ we have Grounds for Sculpture. I've never been but one of these days...

https://www.groundsforsculpture.org/

• Like 2
17 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I did get FJ, don't know why but it was just West Point=Grant, I didn't even know he was born in Ohio.

Same here, I looked at the date he went to West Point, added the years (sort of) and came up with Grant. Didn't take Ohio into consideration at all.

Other than that, it was a pretty crappy game. Though the YouTube video we watched was incredibly good quality for YouTube Jeopardy videos, it went straight from the displayed clue to the first answer (fortunately, it was one of my few lightning fast answers).

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Surprised to see that I did better in today's game than I thought I did while watching.

In the J round I ran "A Drop in Which Ocean?" and "Chicken Soup" and got 4 in "All About Acting". TSs were Pacific and Rhode Island.

In DJ I didn't run any categories, but got 4 in "19th Century Scrapbook", "International Cinema Showcase", "A Pain in the "R"s" and "Make the Phrase". One TS - Iran.

No FJ for me. My guess was "The "A" Team". Before you start a fit of uncontrollable laughter I checked and the show had a character named Murdock. Don't know how it came to mind though since I didn't watch the show - then or now.

• Like 6

November 21:

77% / 77% / 75%

Pretty good first round again; missed two in 2B or Not 2B and one each in everything else.

Same score in DJ…ran Teaching, missed one in Communication, Pain in the "R"s, and Make the Phrase, and two in 19th Century Scrapbook and International Cinema Showcase.

[For "Something that serves as a substitute, especially of an expedient nature, is "make-" this" I said makeshift ...acceptable or no? (If yes, then my score becomes 77% / 80% / 77% and I also ran Make the Phrase.)]

Did not get FJ. I have never watched Succession (though I do know it's based on Rupert Murdoch and Co., it did not occur to me; I was trying to think of a character with that name...which made me think of the A-Team, though the character's name is spelled with a K, not an H). [Side note, I wrote this out before I read chicagofan's post above me; no uncontrollable laughter here! I did watch the show as a kid, though probably more because my brother was watching it.]

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 2) I got Rhode Island, nobble/noble (by figuring out noble and adding a B; never heard the word nobble before), and Mendeleev.

I like Ed's bow tie. It suits him.

Future Jeopardy Champion onesie.

They also have one that says "I'll take being cute for $200" (which also comes in a women's tee shirt and tank top). My other favorites: the "Ooh, That Will Cost You" and the Jeopardy! Music tees.

jpdhoiatmus_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=170055372

• Like 9
  • Love 1

I got to Rupert Murdoch quick enough, but that took me to Fox News and I tried to think of a show set at a news network. I went with The Newsroom, but didn’t feel it was right. It wasn’t.

Edited by opus
  • Like 3
9 minutes ago, opus said:

I got to Rupert Murdoch quick enough, but that took me to Fox News and I tried to think of a show set at a news network. I went with The Newsroom, but didn’t feel it was right. It wasn’t.

Basically the same for me, though I had to firmly put aside Murdoch Mysteries which I knew was wrong but was the first Murdoch I thought of, then I thought of Rupert Murdoch and also tried to think of a news centered show or something but no luck. I've barely heard of Succession and have never seen it or know what it's about.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I could only think of Murdoch Mysteries also, which was clearly wrong but I couldn't shake it to think of anything else. However, I know nothing about Succession and never would have got the answer anyways.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I could only think of Murdoch Mysteries also, which was clearly wrong but I couldn't shake it to think of anything else. However, I know nothing about Succession and never would have got the answer anyways.

Murdoch Mysteries was also the first thing that popped into my head, but I could not imagine that that would be it. Then my brain also went to "Howling Mad" Murdock of the A-Team (except it called him "Mad Dog") which I also rejected because it seemed improbable that that character would have been the lead. Succession (which I have never watched) never crossed my mind even though I know the premise and I remember hearing Brian Cox (on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me?) saying he had run into a man who told him that his wife found it hard to watch and  that Logan Roy would treat his daughter better in the next season -- because that man's wife is Rupert Murdoch's daughter.

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

For "Something that serves as a substitute, especially of an expedient nature, is "make-" this" I said makeshift ...acceptable or no?

Makeshift was definitely my answer and I thought it was better. I think of makeshift as an adjective and "make do" as a verb.

I was surprised by how they got to "make weight" -- I always think of it as adding weight to something to make it heavier rather than trying to get lighter.

Having "Pacific" twice is the only time I remember the same response being valid twice  in the same category. According to Google we officially have five nowadays since they acknowledged the Southern Ocean in 2021, so they could have avoided that.

I couldn't think of Billy Ocean and floundered around with the name Frank Ocean, wondering whether they would have let me get away with Ocean for that one.

I got Rhode Island.

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

nobble/noble (by figuring out noble and adding a B; never heard the word nobble before

I associate nobble with something you do to prevent a horse from winning a race. Not sure whether I am misremembering something that happened in Wodehouse (and confusing it with hobble?) but I see that there is a definition of nobble that means influence through underhanded means or thwart.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I liked all three players today. Guess we can look forward to at least one more lucky bow tie.

I was not a Succession viewer either, although I know the premise and might have made the connection if I hadn’t been positive that there was a TV show with a character named “Murdoch” and spent all my time trying to think of that show. I thought it might be a police show (“Sgt. Murdoch” seemed to ring a bell) but that’s as far as I got. And I’ve never seen the A-Team either, so… 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 3

I applaud all who said, "Murdoch Mysteries."  As an avid watcher of Acorn, of COURSE I'd say that. I never even heard of Succession. Phooey.

ETA: I like the bow tie.  Of course, I can never even think, much less hear "the bow tie" without hearing it as Al Franken's impersonation of Senator Paul Simon.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 3

I said Matlock for FJ, too.  I've heard of "Succession", but I had no idea what it was about.  I would never have thought of it.

I got the TS of Rhode Island, nobble and noble, Mendeleev, and Iran.  I've never heard nobble before, either, and got there by adding a b to noble.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I applaud all who said, "Murdoch Mysteries."  As an avid watcher of Acorn, of COURSE I'd say that. I never even heard of Succession. Phooey.

Thanks for the applause! I knew it was wrong, but my mind was otherwise blank. My husband, who eschews most TV apparently knows Succession was about Murdoch (which I did not). So he got it. Sigh...

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1