Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: The Campaign

• Start Topic

Sean had to drop out of the race because you can't run for office with more than nine DUIs, I love it. So of course Colin Robinson took his place. I loved everything about that plotline. The debate scene especially was great. Loved all the fast forwarding. The timestamp showed it went on for five and a half hours. Colin was eating good. And oh man LOVED the Council of Energy Vampires, and loved that Jo Firestone was one of them. Come on, I'm hoping Joe Pera shows up as an energy vampire eventually. He HAS to be one IRL.

What a fantastic time to bring back Evie the Emotional Vampire. Their meeting in the support group was just a masterclass of cringe comedy. God, she's just awful in all the best ways.

Nandor continues to be jealous of Guillermo, so he made a new friend in Alexander The Jew (Robert Smigel!!) Loved "I had no idea there were Jews in New York City!" and of course the last time Nandor went to the movies it was for the train that came at the screen. It broke my heart that Alexander wanted nothing to do with him. And yet Nandor didn't learn, he thinks that it was because his foreskin grew back, and not, you know, being an awful person.

I wish there was more of Laszlo at Little Antipaxos. That plotline didn't go much of anywhere, I felt like this was the only thing dragging this otherwise great episode down. But you gotta love Nadja calling Laszlo "My King of Pigs."

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2

So: questions!

I’m certain it’s because I laughed uncontrollably after Nadja said, “Piping-hot strange” last week (even after the 4th screening), but I missed how NadjaDoll went back to herself…was it the threesome with Colin & Laszlo?

Also: wasn’t Barbara in a previous (Season One?) ep?  After a city council meeting, when Laszlo showed up on her porch with an offer to get rid of raccoons (or something like that)?

Another of Laszlo’s talents: speaking 14 languages, all English.  Matt Berry fucking rocks.

• Like 7
On 7/27/2023 at 9:44 PM, voiceover said:

I’m certain it’s because I laughed uncontrollably after Nadja said, “Piping-hot strange” last week (even after the 4th screening), but I missed how NadjaDoll went back to herself…was it the threesome with Colin & Laszlo?

Let's just go with that.

Also: wasn’t Barbara in a previous (Season One?) ep?  After a city council meeting, when Laszlo showed up on her porch with an offer to get rid of raccoons (or something like that)?

It's been a while since I watched the first season, but yep that was her.

Another of Laszlo’s talents: speaking 14 languages, all English.  Matt Berry fucking rocks.

He continues to be amazing in this show. I was so happy to see the blue kangol hat again.

Another great detail: Colin and Evie's abductors were all wearing beige, and their van was beige.

On 7/27/2023 at 9:35 PM, Galileo908 said:

And oh man LOVED the Council of Energy Vampires, and loved that Jo Firestone was one of them. Come on, I'm hoping Joe Pera shows up as an energy vampire eventually. He HAS to be one IRL.

The Council of Energy Vampires: Jo Firestone, Hannibal Buress, Aparna Nacherla, and Gregg Turkington. And led by Martha Kelly from Baskets. That's a murderer's row right there.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 4

Enjoyed seeing Evie the Emotional Vampire again.  Vanessa Bayer really shine at making her exactly that type of person that we all probably know in real life (just like how Mark Proksch does it with Colin!)  I kind of suspected it was all going to end with her winning the election somehow, but I got a kick over how it played out by her taking advantage of Colin's attempt to sabotage himself, and just made everyone root for her due to being "married' to someone like him.  Looks like they have to go their separate ways again, but I am strangely pulling for them to actually make it work someday.

Yeah, debates would be a five course meal for any Energy Draining Vampire!

The Council of Energy Vampires was great.  Liked how this approach was different from the original one by having it made up of comedians who thrive with this type of humor instead of the recognizable faces who famously played vampires in various forms of media.

Oh, Nandor!  I knew him attempting to make a new friend wasn't going to end well.  He really thought it was the foreskin that was holding their relationship back!

The stuff with Nadja and Laszlo felt more like a filler plot, but I didn't mind it since I was still cracking up over how Laszlo kept falling flat on his face.  And then everything worked out because they just assume he is a god (?) from their religion who is suppose to be an arrogant, pompous fuck-up.  Classic Laszlo!

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

Meh episode. Belief doesn't have to be as suspended as last week's episode, but it felt light. Or maybe the Energy Vampire Council being too cringe worked against the episode itself.

If a vampire's fangs can grow back, then why not a foreskin? Once again, Nandor is a dummy. I didn't know that was Robert Smigel as Alex. Nice to see him again. I do have to wonder . . . if a vampire befriends someone, what kind of bullshit excuse would the production staff feed that person to explain the cameras? Meh, I'll let that go . . . along with wondering how cameras can photograph vampires since they're based on mirrors.

Colin Robinson was also meh, though it was fun watching him shout out regions of Staten Island while unknowingly channeling Howard Dean . . . right before exposing himself in a Zoom meeting. I'd like to see more of Evie . . . or at least have the show explore vampire variations that feed on emotion and/or energy. That debate looks like the best dinner ever for those two. Good thing Sean had too many DUIs to run for office. I feel bad that all those gay-friendly shirts went to waste.

• Like 5

possibilities the Jew checking in! I loved everything about this episode.

I am starting to feel a little bad for Nandor, despite how awful he is. When Lazlo fails, he's somehow still charismatic. When Nandor fails, he just makes me sad.

Most people running on Staten Island only have 2 or 3 DUIs!

• Like 4
  • LOL 6

I loved this one. Evie was too hilarious a character not to bring back. She had that brief fling with Colin and years later she's still in a support group to get over it. 🤣

And of course Martha Kelly is the queen of the energy vampires. The casting was perfect all around there, and my favorite part was that one vampire insisting "I'm literally shouting right now" in that tiny whispered voice.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about was Lazlo behaving so stupidly with Nadja's friends. He's done some boneheaded things in the past for sure, but he's usually the best of the group at social interactions. 

• Like 8

The energy vampire council had me rolling. My God I could so relate. Anyone who has ever been stuck in line behind someone who doesn't know what the hell they are doing can totally relate. The phone that wouldn't stop chiming, the microphone that wouldn't work, the constant interruptions. It was all perfect. It does raise the question - can energy vampires feed off each other?

Great seeing Vanessa Bayer back as Evie, too. I'm glad they didn't just stick her in somewhere that didn't work and waited for the perfect storyline.

Nandor's B-plot had me in stitches too, even his dad bod at the gym is funny. Kayvan Novak must like taking his clothes off. "I didn't know there were Jews in New York City." LOL.

Little Antipaxos isn't really working for me though. That subplot was the weak spot of the episode IMO.

• Like 12
24 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Little Antipaxos isn't really working for me though. That subplot was the weak spot of the episode IMO.

It was okay but not as good as the rest. I could do without it. 

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

And led by Martha Kelly from Baskets.

So perfect. She was practically an energy vampire on Baskets, too.

The Supreme Council of Energy Vampires was great. I loved that they said that Colin must win the election "or else." I thought when Evie repeated that later to Colin that they'd wonder what it meant, but I'm glad they never questioned it. 

14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Colin Robinson was also meh, though it was fun watching him shout out regions of Staten Island while unknowingly channeling Howard Dean...

AND jumping on the couch like Tom Cruise. 

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I am starting to feel a little bad for Nandor, despite how awful he is. When Lazlo fails, he's somehow still charismatic. When Nandor fails, he just makes me sad.

Nandor is my favorite. I love his accent. The way he pronounces things never fails to crack me up.

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, I agree, although it was amusing seeing the one woman (in the blue dress) starting to get attracted to him.

Loved the little detail of Nandor spotting Alexander using just his fingertips.

Laszlo: Me, Laszlo. Do you people have names or do you communicate with sticks?

Nandor: How can two men be friends when they are so different?
Guillermo: You and I are different.
Nandor: You are. I am not.

I've watched all the seasons but only started posting here this season, so I don't know if this has been discussed: Are the ancient paintings they show real? Obviously the ones with our vampires in them are fake, but what about the ones in this ep from Little Antipaxos?

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
33 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Are the ancient paintings they show real? Obviously the ones with our vampires in them are fake, but what about the ones in this ep from Little Antipaxos?

I doubt they are created just for the show so they must dig them up somewhere. I think they just have people who go find illustrations that are appropriate to what is being described. It's really become a staple of the show, and they do a great job with it.

• Like 6

I love Little Antipaxos!

Watching Nadja avoid eating, and having her say that being with them makes her feel almost human, and that maybe this will end the curse! Seeing her not complaining for once, and not being bitchy, it's somehow hilarious to see some joy on the show. 

Lazlo having all the skills for language and music and sex appeal... but still messing it up-- and STILL coming out popular! It's his superpower, really. He may not be able to hypnotize the way Nandor does, but he is so naturally charming that it doesn't really set him back. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
(edited)
57 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Nandor is my favorite. I love his accent. The way he pronounces things never fails to crack me up.

So do I, it is also the way he just delivers his lines..... Hysterical. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 11
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

INandor is my favorite. I love his accent. The way he pronounces things never fails to crack me up.

I'm still laughing over last week's "Being tall." Up there with the classic, "Did you kill Carol?"

I don't think there could be casting more perfect than Martha Kelly.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I've watched all the seasons but only started posting here this season, so I don't know if this has been discussed: Are the ancient paintings they show real? Obviously the ones with our vampires in them are fake, but what about the ones in this ep from Little Antipaxos?

I always assume they're based on real paintings, since the Nadja painting in the opening credits is so recognizeable as a real painting, just with Nadja's face. Plus, it seems like it's just funnier. Though with the ones from Little Antipaxos I think they might have made up ones to fit what they needed, like I assume the paintings of Nandor (aka "Fucking Persian Frank Zappa") attacking Nadja's village was.

• Like 7
12 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I loved this one. Evie was too hilarious a character not to bring back. She had that brief fling with Colin and years later she's still in a support group to get over it. 🤣

And Colin entered just as the counselor said that their ex won't suddenly come back to whisk them off their feet.

21 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Colin Robinson was also meh, though it was fun watching him shout out regions of Staten Island while unknowingly channeling Howard Dean . . .

Oh, I assure you that Colin knew what he was doing there.

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Watching Nadja avoid eating, and having her say that being with them makes her feel almost human, and that maybe this will end the curse!

Loved watching her just pour coffee, K cups, the stirrers in all the food.

7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Laszlo: Me, Laszlo. Do you people have names or do you communicate with sticks?

Loved him shaking the dog's hand.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

No chance Evie and Colin were going to get it on, even when he'd dropped his pants.

Because she'd have to give up her support group.

Lazlo was great, taunting the Antipaxons?  Then they decided he was the guy foretold in their mythology.  They're living in present day Staten Island and still believe in the old superstitions.

Smigel was a good guest appearance but rather have seen his more famous alter ego.  Imagine if he trolled the vampires.

• Like 1

I loved this episode-especially the campaign.  The energy vampire council was everything that I would expect.  'Bureaucracy is our life.'  Yes, yes it is and it explains so much!

I like that it seems that all of the vampires are branching out a bit.  Sean, the restaurant, even Nandor at the gym.  

Oh, and I am always impressed that so many posters can recognize so many of the guest starts.  Well done!

• Like 4
(edited)
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

Watching Nadja avoid eating, and having her say that being with them makes her feel almost human, and that maybe this will end the curse!

Hex. Curses aren't real, they are just superstitious excuses for bad luck. But hexes are the real thing!

14 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

She had that brief fling with Colin and years later she's still in a support group to get over it. 

She's not in a support group to get over Colin. She's in an emotional support group because she's an emotion vampire. It's the perfect feeding trough for her. I never get tired of her over-the-top tales of woe.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 15

Guillermo is a mean guy (whatever the male equivalent of mean girl is), isn't he? He could have TOLD Nandor that humans don't like it when someone shows them their penis in public. He could have TOLD him that it takes time to get to know a human and given him pointers on how to do it. But he seems to be comfortable watching him fail. It actually seems at times that he enjoys watching the vampires be stupid while he critiques them. Maybe his mean streak is why he wanted to be a vampire in the first place. 

Sean and his friends don't have this same superior attitude, which is why their scenes are so fun, and they seem like real friends to Lazlo.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 7/29/2023 at 1:54 PM, possibilities said:

Guillermo is a mean guy (whatever the male equivalent of mean girl is), isn't he? He could have TOLD Nandor that humans don't like it when someone shows them their penis in public. He could have TOLD him that it takes time to get to know a human and given him pointers on how to do it. But he seems to be comfortable watching him fail. It actually seems at times that he enjoys watching the vampires be stupid while he critiques them. Maybe his mean streak is why he wanted to be a vampire in the first place. 

Sean and his friends don't have this same superior attitude, which is why their scenes are so fun, and they seem like real friends to Lazlo.

I think he sometimes does like watching them fail (some critic pointed out that Guillermo works best when he's smug and nervous with a secret), but there was no way he could have explained to Nandor any of that. Whenever he tries Nandor just insists he knows what's right--and in this case he would just accuse him of being jealous of his friendship with Alexander the Jew. He even tried to say something when Nandor decided the problem was they were too different (because he wasn't circumcised) and Guillermo pointed out that the two of them were different. (To which Nandor brilliantly corrected - YOU are, but I'm not.

I mean, Nandor's problem here isn't that he doesn't know how humans make friends since it's not actually different from vampires (just ask The Guide). Nandor sees humans as inferior and thinks he should get whatever he wants right away, so he can't listen to that kind of advice.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Like 8

I loved this episode-especially the campaign.  The energy vampire council was everything that I would expect.  'Bureaucracy is our life.'  Yes, yes it is and it explains so much!

Yes!! I not only loved this episode, I needed this episode. I have to finish a sexual harassment training video before a Monday compliance deadline. While the issue is important, unfortunately the "training" is a recitation of advice as obvious as don't flash your colleagues (or constituents) during a Zoom call.

The video was clearly designed by energy vampires: It takes a full hour, using both long, on-screen text and a droning narration that repeats every word in it. If you're capable of skimming, you can't escape. It won't let you go to the next page until the narration finishes. It won't even let you increase the speed. You have to sit through every page at a pace that would put a turtle to sleep.

But now that I realize the monotone female narrator is actually Evie, I can treat it like bonus footage. 🤣

• Like 2
  • LOL 13
(edited)
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

She's not in a support group to get over Colin. She's in an emotional support group because she's an emotion vampire. It's the perfect feeding trough for her. I never get tired of her over-the-top tales of woe.

I was laughing at Evie being in a group for people who can't get over their exes - not suggesting that her reasons for attending were in any way genuine! 😆

Edited by Blakeston
  • Like 3
On 7/29/2023 at 10:54 AM, possibilities said:

But every time that Guillermo tries to help Nandor, he gets told imperiously that Nandor knows best and he should just stand back.  So he does.  Nandor is not going to sit around and take pointers from his familiar.

BTW - I loved Nandor's exercise pants!

• Like 10

I'm so happy to see Evie, I can feel myself being drained listening to a story about her cats third surgery. I'm so glad they saved her second appearance for such a perfect plot. What an amazing batch of actors playing energy vampire counsel, the energy vampires being such big fans of bureaucracy certainly explains a lot. That phone going off every five seconds hurt me, I think I could feel myself being fed on through the screen.

The other two plots were small but fun. "His name is Alexander the Jew!" "It is not." 

I'm in a DnD campaign where my husband is the DM, he did a WWDITS homage in our last game! The party went to a strange island motel run by three weirdos with undefinable accents and their long suffering assistant Gregory, who they keep calling Gobbler. We had to fight them when one of the party found their coffins and an annoyed Gregory dragging corpses around, it was a blast. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
On 7/27/2023 at 9:47 PM, Galileo908 said:

Another great detail: Colin and Evie's abductors were all wearing beige, and their van was beige.

And the beige capes on the energy vampires, and Colin and Evie's beige campaign wear.  I have never seen so much beige put together with so much style and flair.  The costume department really made the dullest color shine in this episode.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

I loved the energy vampire council - it was a perfect rendition of many of the workplaces I've lived through! Just like when Colin was working at the other business. There are some writers for this show that really have a good feel for corporate America!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

I loved the energy vampire council - it was a perfect rendition of many of the workplaces I've lived through! Just like when Colin was working at the other business. There are some writers for this show that really have a good feel for corporate America!

More likely the writers for Colin are energy vampires, that's why they understand it so well.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2

That episode was pretty funny. I love a good Colin Robinson A plot every so often. Although I did think that Robert Smigel was kind of wasted in his role. The guy his hilarious and is a lot of the reason why Late Night with Conan O'Brien was so funny and why the Hotel Transylvania movies were way better than they should have been.

• Like 1