Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Endgame

• Start Topic

These writers really went, “I guess it’s time to end this thing.” And then they did. And then nothing anyone did made any sense. And I’ll never know what this show was supposed to be about. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 4

Ha.  Making the twist out to be that Isabella is a psychotic friend was maybe a good twist? 

But it just felt so thrown into a poorly constructed season.  Goodness, Megan's mother didn't even appear in this episode.  And her illness served what purpose?  And shouldn't Megan still be in jail?  I mean, I get she didn't kill Luke but she did kidnap him. 

• Like 7
37 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

And shouldn't Megan still be in jail?  I mean, I get she didn't kill Luke but she did kidnap him. 

She also drugged him, which contributed to the convoluted things that led to his death. And I don’t know why I keep commenting on this show…I just hated it so much! But it was fun to laugh at with my 17yo, so I guess it wasn’t a total loss. 

• Like 6

What the actual F was that? It was sooooooo boring and then in the last few minutes, it's just one insanely stupid reveal after another. Outside of all of the really ridiculous characterisations, plot 'twists' and the mentions but non-appearances of characters like Deb and Ned, I think my favourite bit of nonsense was the sheriff's tech guys. What year 2000 small town sheriff's department would have tech guys (plural) who are so damn good at their job that they can dismantle security code written by a paranoid tech genius. But are also so stupid that they can't tell when a teenage girl has then gone onto their computers and accessed it, because they we coincidentally getting coffee in the middle of their game of Patience, just as she was opening files in a way that was visible on their own monitors.

• Like 7

So characters like Jeff and Parker were essentially pointless this entire season? 

Was Ned the one messaging Megan about a job offer?

I wonder if the sheriff is in trouble for essentially protecting the Chambers at all costs, up until Brent’s confession?

How did Isabella afford a last minute ticket (and it didn’t look like coach, either) to Ibiza?

Not a single mention was made of Megan’s pregnancy, or how it would end, in the finale? 

Edited by jsm1125
  • Like 7

Thank goodness this season is over. I LOL'd at the final shot of Megan, because it felt like the writers were trying to set up a potential continuation where the next season would be about Megan chasing Isabella around trying to bring her to justice. Or maybe they just wanted us to assume that Isabella won't get away with it in the end because Megan will make it her life's mission. Either way, don't care, certainly would not watch another season of this particular story.

27 minutes ago, jsm1125 said:

Was the one messaging Megan about a job offer Ned?

Yes.

27 minutes ago, jsm1125 said:

How did Isabella afford a last minute ticket (and it didn’t look like coach, either) to Ibiza?

Isabella's parents are rich and we've never had any indication that they rein in Isabella's spending. Remember that expensive high-end computer she got Megan for Christmas that Megan got pissy about? And how over the winter she was already planning a trip to Ibiza? In any case, if she was near the limit on her credit card, I'm sure all she would've had to do is call and they would have purchased the ticket for her. They'd want her out of there ASAP.

So Ned has security cameras all over the place, but never ever bothered to check the footage from any of them, not even when Steve was busy trying to get the cops to arrest him?

Steve is even more of an asshole than previously known: So when he thought the cops had hit a dead end on investigating Luke's murder, instead of being happy about that and just leaving it alone, he went and hired a private investigator explicitly to try to get someone sent up for it anyway?

Debbie being completely absent in this episode was weird.

No closure on whether Isabella did or didn't murder Lisa, but I don't really care. And the whole thing with Luke's murder was weird. So Brent couldn't find him in the morning after shoving him off the pier, and then Luke eventually dragged himself to the shore and just laid there for what, 10-12 hours? It looked dark again by the time Isabella found and killed him. Why would Luke just be laying there for so long? The alcohol and drugs would long since have worn off, and that ear nick wouldn't cause him to lose so much blood that he'd still be weak that much later. And he had plenty of time to rest up in all those hours, but was still so weak that he put up the most infinitesimal of struggles. None of that makes sense.

• Like 7

One thing about this episode that bugged me was Megan complaining about Isabella not having told her she’d had sex with Luke before Megan and Luke got together. Of course this was something she’d want to know, but that doesn’t actually make it any of her business because she and Luke were not together yet when it happened.

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

So Brent couldn't find him in the morning after shoving him off the pier, and then Luke eventually dragged himself to the shore and just laid there for what, 10-12 hours? It looked dark again by the time Isabella found and killed him. Why would Luke just be laying there for so long? The alcohol and drugs would long since have worn off, and that ear nick wouldn't cause him to lose so much blood that he'd still be weak that much later. And he had plenty of time to rest up in all those hours, but was still so weak that he put up the most infinitesimal of struggles. None of that makes sense.

I don’t think he was lying around for 10-12 hours. I think what happened was: Brent and Luke argue and Luke falls in the water. Megan tells Isabella she’s going back to the cabin in the morning. Isabella then goes to the cabin alone planning to kill Luke, discovers he’s missing, goes looking for him, finds him down by the dock, and kills him. This is all before dawn. Later she goes back with Megan pretending she knows nothing.

• Like 12

In an interview with TVLine (https://tvline.com/interviews/cruel-summer-recap-season-2-finale-episode-10-isabella-killed-luke-1235021403) when asked about Megan’s pregnancy, the showrunner says:

TVLINE | So what should fans interpret about the baby?
What we sort of landed on was that it was a false positive. So not long after, she got her period.

This is lousy writing IMO. This is not a plot point that should be a mystery we’re left to wonder about. Seriously, they expected us to make this assumption without either showing or telling us? There were three possibilities: abortion, miscarriage, or false positive. And a false positive never even entered my mind.

Likewise, apparently the writers made this up as they went along rather than having a solid plotline:

TVLINE | Was it always going to be Isabella who was Luke’s killer?
Oh, early on, we ran through a lot of different scenarios. Debbie was a potential killer, the sheriff, Brent. But fairly quickly, we landed on Isabella. And the way that we ended up doing it, it was nice because it’s Isabella’s moment, but then you get to be with Megan in real time when she sees it. So that also felt different and also more satisfying.

Seriously? This is how you end up with crappy plotlines like Lost that abound in dead ends and unanswered questions. 

ETA: This one really makes my blood boil:

Also, I think it’s important to note that Isabella doesn’t go there to kill him. She goes there to talk to him and try to reason with him and get him to stay out of Megan’s life, but she then is presented with [him] basically half-dead, and so, it’s one of those snap judgment, in-the-moment situations, and she decides this is the way to ensure Megan’s future at that point.

How the hell are we supposed to assume she just went there to talk to him after she’d already pulled a gun on him?

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 4

This was incredibly dumb and, based on the answers above from some of the writers, so poorly planned out. And way too much stuff that made no sense. So many questions: 
Why wouldn’t Luke’s dad just have Brent say that Luke tripped and fell off the dock instead of launching a whole investigation? Why did they bother making Megan pregnant? How did the sheriff not notice a camera pointing directly at the place Luke’s body was found? Why did I watch all this?

I guess at least Luke’s shitty dad might have some comeuppance. But also, don’t try to make me feel bad for Brent who’s a complete garbage person. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

That was so stupid, I'm just glad that this season is over so I can stop thinking about it. What even was that ending? I know that some people really didn't like the last minute twist in the first season, but at least that had some actual foreshadowing and made sense with the seasons themes. Isabella being a psycho stalker friend is such an obvious "twist" but it also feels so random. Isabella certainly always felt like she was lying about things and was super invested in her friendship with Megan in a way too intense way, but this just seems so unearned. 

Are they seriously blowing off the pregnancy with "it was a false positive and we'll only tell you in interviews"? How lazy can you possibly get, what an absolute clusterfuck. 

Just about every character ended up being pointless, Megan's mom didn't even show up in the last episode, it was just a cast full of useless red herrings. 

I did at least end up feeling bad for Luke and even for Megan by the end. Luke did a lot of dumb shitty things but he was just a stupide immature kid, he certainly didn't deserve to be killed in such an awful way and for his family to cover it all up. Steve really turned out to be a total piece of shit, and the only thing that makes Brett not as bad is that he actually did end up caring enough about Megan to not let her rot in jail, she is the only person he’s been nice to this whole season. 

This season just makes me sad.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 6

Not to pile on (oh, who am I kidding? What else is there to do besides pile on), but were there really that many security cameras in 1999/2000 that stored their recordings on some kind of permanent hard drive? Especially one like the dock cam, that could be hacked into months later?  

Maybe I’m misremembering my tech history but it seemed like that was the era where security cameras fed a vhs tape that was recorded over the day before the investigators came to look for it. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

This is lousy writing IMO. This is not a plot point that should be a mystery we’re left to wonder about. Seriously, they expected us to make this assumption without either showing or telling us? There were three possibilities: abortion, miscarriage, or false positive. And a false positive never even entered my mind.

Yes, it is terrible writing. When Debbie asked Megan about the pregnancy, Megan told her she handled it. That is not what you say when you had a false positive and weren't really pregnant.

I thought the scene at the end was going to show Megan deleting the video of Isabella killing Luke. Like she somehow wanted her to get away with it. I guess that would have been similar to last season's twist.

I did like the scene with Brent confessing to Megan. He was an asshole, but even he wasn't going to let an innocent person go to jail for him. You could sort of see him realizing how awful his father was. I was afraid the sheriff was going to refuse to let Brent confess because he was taking money from the father, but at least he did his job.

It felt like so much was left unresolved though.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

It felt like so much was left unresolved though.

Totally agree...like what was up with Isabella saying her name was Lisa??

3 hours ago, marny said:

place Luke’s body was found

Unless I'm mistaken I thought Luke's body was found downstream by the marina in town.

5 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I don’t think he was lying around for 10-12 hours. I think what happened was: Brent and Luke argue and Luke falls in the water. Megan tells Isabella she’s going back to the cabin in the morning. Isabella then goes to the cabin alone planning to kill Luke, discovers he’s missing, goes looking for him, finds him down by the dock, and kills him. This is all before dawn. Later she goes back with Megan pretending she knows nothing.

The problem with that scenario - and don't get me wrong, with these writers you could be completely right, because we all know this season's writers didn't think things through - is that Isabella didn't have transportation. It was mentioned in this very episode that for Isabella to be at the cabin the first time (for the planned ambush of Luke), Megan had to drive her there and drop her off, then return to the party to get Luke and bring him up. If the cabin was within quick walking distance, seems like Isabella could have just walked up the first time. That's why I thought Isabella killed Luke when she and Megan returned the following day. But really, the more I think about it, I feel you're right about the timing and the writers just totally forgot or ignored Isabella's transportation issues.

This all goes to one of the big reasons that S2 failed. A show like this thrives on viewers speculating. But when there isn't any logic whatsoever, it makes speculation feel completely pointless because there is nothing to ground it on. The writers showed their hand early in that respect with the ridiculous "Megan would lose her scholarship if people know she was the one on the sex tape" plot point. I tried really hard to just forget about that, but it became evident that it wasn't a one-off that I could give the show a mulligan on but indicative of the entire season.

S1 was not perfect in terms of logic, but those writers laid down clues and paid them off. Viewers were able to correctly speculate on who actually saw Kate in the house on the specific night in question that Kate referenced. And while the ending twist wasn't popular, it didn't go against everything we'd seen before. It fit in with a pattern of behavior for the character in question, and it was clever in that it pointed up that while we were all obsessing over the specific night in question that Kate was focused on, she was actually in the house for months and so that one night was not the only time someone could have learned she was in there. The twist didn't even make Jeanette a liar, because she was always careful about how she phrased her denials. It all held together pretty well. Unlike this season.

9 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Why is that the way Brent confessed? If he was so contrite and against the injustice of implicating Megan, why wouldn’t he just tell the sheriff directly?

Brent mentioned the sheriff gave him five minutes to talk to Megan. I assumed he told the sheriff the truth when he first came in, and then asked to be allowed to tell Megan himself. The sheriff didn't give any indication of being surprised as he listened in.

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, CAM said:

Totally agree...like what was up with Isabella saying her name was Lisa??

I took that as showing Isabella was just a bit crazy and a liar, and that we couldn't trust anything we'd ever seen her say. Like, if she lied about her name to that girl on the plane, maybe she lied about everything she told Megan (although we know her name is really Isabella)?

What is a bigger question to me is Ned. He seems to like Megan, so when he heard she was being a suspect and that they'd been at the cabin, why not look at all his security footage? Hell, why not do that the day Luke went missing? I feel like any one would do that just out of curiosity at some point.

Also, wasn't there a scene in the first episode where Megan went to the lake when she heard a body was found and then she and Ned exchanged a significant look? It implied Ned and Megan had interacted that night.

17 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Why is that the way Brent confessed? If he was so contrite and against the injustice of implicating Megan, why wouldn’t he just tell the sheriff directly?

Well, the sheriff isn't the star of the show so it wouldn't make sense to give him a dramatic scene like that.

8 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

The problem with that scenario - and don't get me wrong, with these writers you could be completely right, because we all know this season's writers didn't think things through - is that Isabella didn't have transportation.

Isabella could have taken Megan's car while Megan was asleep. She likely knew where Megan kept her keys and we know she had access to Megan's stuff and was on the same property.

• Useful 1

As to why Isabella claimed to the woman on the plane that her name is Lisa, I just attributed that to her taking the name of former “friends” of hers. Like, wherever she ends up after Ibiza, she’ll probably tell the next person her name is Megan. It makes about as much sense as most of the writing this season.

Edited by jsm1125
  • Like 2

I didn't enjoy the finale, but I will say I'm glad the theories about Luke faking his death didn't end up being correct. Up until the very end, I worried he was going to appear. I even worried he was somehow the "colleague" in Palo Alto who wanted a coder.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

Also, wasn't there a scene in the first episode where Megan went to the lake when she heard a body was found

Yes but it was at a different dock than the one where Luke died (it was bugging me so I went to Hulu to check)...so either the current moved the body downstream from the lake by the cabins or TPB lost access to the original dock set (located in town at the marina) and hoped no one would notice (which wouldn't necessarily surprise me)

I loved how the on-screen text told us the scenes are January 2000, and then the words 'WINTER 1999' flashed, followed by a timestamp saying it was January 1st...  This was just boring and ridiculous, those scenes of Megan and Isabella arguing right after leaving the cabin were so pointless, just restating things we've already heard.  Why did Megan the superhacker just HAVE to get to the video footage first, before the police? And then she HAD to stupidly confront Steve in person and then talked of telling the police about the footage they already had.  It made no sense, like most of the character's actions here, they are just empty puppets for bad writers.  Also, I'm pretty sure there would be records about the lake camera existing.  Megan's mother was in remission from....SOMETHING?  I don't care, but the writer's should have; I wonder if Tommy Wiseau was part of the writer's room this season? 

Tuition at UW would have been $3,858 for Megan's freshman year, and since her mother was low-income, she would have been eligible for a pell grant and subsidized loans...after annoying us with the scholarship plotline for so many episodes, maybe they could have showed Megan realizing that she could still go.

Please cancel this trash!  But I wish the S1 showrunner/writer got a multi-million dollar deal at Netflix or something so we could get something as good as S1.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

Oh come on! Are you telling me that when you have a late period you don't bleed all over your sheets and then hide them away in your room for a few months before stuffing them in the trash in a really shady way?

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

Whose blood was Megan cleaning at the cabin in an earlier episode? Luke barely had any from his ear gunshot wound, and Megan was never actually pregnant. So what was the point of that scene? 

Edited by jsm1125
  • Like 2

Ok I kinda get what the season was trying to do now.  A combination of the twisted obsessive friend and version of the Murdaugh family.  You know rich family where dad is more interested in protecting the family legacy so he makes the illegal shenanigans of his kids go away until everything fabulously blows up in his face.    I see what the season Was trying to do.  The problem was it did it so haphazard and whoever wrote it didn’t know how to write a compelling mystery.    Too many unnecessary red herrings instead of just telling a compelling story and there was a compelling story in there somewhere.     I liked the “who is Luke really” plot point.    I thought that itself would have been an interesting enough story.    But again every time something got almost interesting bad writing happened.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 5

I hope, that Megan will come through and show the footage to the cops, that it was Isabella who pushed Luke into the water. Brent must have found him underwater, pulled him up and left him lying on the dock while he went to get their father, and assumed Luke fell in again. 

Luke thought his actions  caused Luke's death, but not really. I hope Megan doesn't let Brent swing because neither of them killed Luke and it can be proven. 

Isabella disappears. God help this new girl she has hooked onto. 

This was the worst writing I’ve seen in a long time.  Season 1 was so good, they could not match it.  The first rule of mysteries is to wrap up loose ends. There were so many.

Why was Debbie in remission? Did we know she was sick?

What happened to Megan’s father? 

Why was there so much blood on the sheets and how did it get there? 

Why didn’t they they resolve the pregnancy?

Why didn’t Ned watch the tape on the camera? If he had it would not have been there for Megan to find but if it had been, the sheriff would have found it first. If Ned found it presumably he would have given it to the authorities.

Why was the majority of the cast missing in the finale? 

Now that we know Isabella killed Luke, will Steve and Brent be released? Will they extradite her back to the U.S.?

There was more but those are the main questions that bothered me.  I liked the season up until the poor resolution.

Edited by Attatude
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

Whose blood was Megan cleaning at the cabin in an earlier episode? Luke barely had any from his ear gunshot wound, and Megan was never actually pregnant. So what was the point of that scene? 

It’s the most egregiously bad writing I’ve seen on any show ever. Did they write themselves into a corner and decide to just tell us what happened because they couldn’t work it out? Also! There aren’t false negative pregnancy tests. You have the hormone or you don’t (or you’re taking fertility drugs). They obviously threw in as many potential twists as they could to keep people hooked. Megan’s rich dad? Mysterious mom illness? Bloody cabin? Bloody…rag?  
 Hey @attatude, we posted same thoughts at the same time 😜

Edited by RedInk
  • Like 2

I've let this episode sit in my brain for two days and... Fuck, the best i can say as there were a handful of good performances that are more impressive by the absolute shyte they were given to work with.

So many loose ends. What the fuck was Megan scrubbing away on the cabin floor in the first episode and was Debbie only sick so the girls would have an excuse to have access to drugs to slip Luke?  Fuck this season.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, RachelKM said:

... was Debbie only sick so the girls would have an excuse to have access to drugs to slip Luke? 

The thing is, they drugged Luke before Debbie got sick. Did they ever even explain/show that those were actually Debbie's pills?

10 hours ago, Attatude said:

Why was Debbie in remission? Did we know she was sick?

We were shown (via Megan getting her medicine ready) and told (via Isabella saying she stayed in town because Debbie got sick) in episode 1 and/or maybe 2. And then absolutely nothing else was ever said or shown about it until that throwaway line in the finale. Clearly they introduced that and then had no idea what to really do with it as they were just writing this whole season on the fly. ETA: I guess, perhaps they just did it to make Megan more tortured or whatever. In any case, terrible writing.

What happened to Megan’s father? 

I had forgotten about that one lol.

Why was there so much blood on the sheets and how did it get there? 

I guess, with the writers saying she was actually never pregnant, we can assume that was just from her starting her period.

4 hours ago, RachelKM said:

What the fuck was Megan scrubbing away on the cabin floor in the first episode ...

I wish someone had asked the writers this because there is not even a way to fanwank that one lol.

• Like 1

I really, really wanted to like this because season 1 was so good. There were too many red herrings and too many plot holes for any of this to make any sense.

Also... keep harping on this... I understand they wanted summer 2000 to look different, but Megan's switch from the typical teen look to slicked back hair/smokey eye hacker goth girl was unrealistic. If anything, she would have reverted back to ponytail Megan. Her new look would have drawn so much attention to her, and that's the last thing she would have wanted.

Oh -- and her sister totally changed from summer 1999 to 2000 too, and they just threw that away.

Very lazy planning and writing.

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

The thing is, they drugged Luke before Debbie got sick. Did they ever even explain/show that those were actually Debbie's pills?

We were shown (via Megan getting her medicine ready) and told (via Isabella saying she stayed in town because Debbie got sick) in episode 1 and/or maybe 2. And then absolutely nothing else was ever said or shown about it until that throwaway line in the finale. Clearly they introduced that and then had no idea what to really do with it as they were just writing this whole season on the fly. ETA: I guess, perhaps they just did it to make Megan more tortured or whatever. In any case, terrible writing.

I had forgotten about that one lol.

I guess, with the writers saying she was actually never pregnant, we can assume that was just from her starting her period.

I wish someone had asked the writers this because there is not even a way to fanwank that one lol.

So she went back to the cabin and started her period on the sheets? That would make her almost as creepy as Isabella.  I missed the throwaway line about Debbie being sick. At least they tried to have a good explanation for truth serum. I didn’t know chemo drugs were truth serum, though.

It wasn't "real" truth serum - Isabella said something about the combination of alcohol plus drugs having that effect. In other words, that a chemically-messed-up Luke wouldn't really be able to be careful about what he said.

I'm pretty sure I saw the showrunner say somewhere that all the blood was Luke's. Shows can get a little overly enthusiastic about throwing fake blood around.

2 hours ago, jackjill said:

Her new look would have drawn so much attention to her, and that's the last thing she would have wanted.

Maybe she thought it helped sell the story that her boyfriend ran away from his life and thus ran out on her?

• Useful 1

I knew that Isabelle was a female 'Talented Mr Ripley'...and the movie version did come out in 1999 so makes sense.

I assumed the twist would be that she had something to do with her friend Lisa's death...but now I believe she is actually a sociopath that will kill anyone in the way of her 1 track minded obsession.

• Like 2

The sheets had nothing to do with the pregnancy or Megan’s period. They were just bloody from Luke’s ear getting shot. They were the sheets Luke was on in the cabin bed that she must have taken with her when she went back to clean the (way too large) blood stain off the floor. I do think we were misled to think they had something to do with the pregnancy, but that was before we knew about Luke getting shot in the bed on New Year’s Eve.

With regard to the blood stain being so big, my only possible justification is that when Luke was super slowly getting his shoes and socks back on, I think we saw his ear dripping blood? If he was moving super slowly from the pills and alcohol, maybe he bled in one spot more than we were shown?

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
On 8/4/2023 at 12:21 AM, truebluesmoky said:

The sheets had nothing to do with the pregnancy or Megan’s period. They were just bloody from Luke’s ear getting shot. They were the sheets Luke was on in the cabin bed that she must have taken with her when she went back to clean the (way too large) blood stain off the floor. I do think we were misled to think they had something to do with the pregnancy, but that was before we knew about Luke getting shot in the bed on New Year’s Eve.

With regard to the blood stain being so big, my only possible justification is that when Luke was super slowly getting his shoes and socks back on, I think we saw his ear dripping blood? If he was moving super slowly from the pills and alcohol, maybe he bled in one spot more than we were shown?

Also, are we supposed to think no one went to the cabin between new years and summer 2000 and saw the blood? Luke's dad and Brent never went there? I know they knew Luke was dead and all, but would they really just stop going to the cabin when they tried pretending things were normal?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I thought we were talking about the sheets that Megan threw away. So, apparently, she took bloody sheets from the cabin, hid them in her room, and then threw them away 6 months later.

And yes then we have her cleaning up somehow still wet blood from the cabin floor (that no one apparently went to) 6 months later.

Make it make sense!

• Like 1

The best part of the episode was the quick shot of a book that was underneath a set of keys that Megan grabbed. It was titled, "Out of the Basement: The Kate Wallis Story."

image.thumb.png.e4fa73be740367e50e8ff5533bf971b4.png

Edited by Suzee
  • Like 2
  • Useful 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I have just finished (on Amazon in uk)

my biggest issue was that Megan really was guilty. They drugged him which probably led to his drowning (if we ignore Isabella later actions)

brett was never guilty of “murder” in uk it would be unlawful act murder-as no intent to kill but death resulted. 

On 11/8/2023 at 3:33 PM, catherinejane said:

I have just finished (on Amazon in uk)

my biggest issue was that Megan really was guilty. They drugged him which probably led to his drowning (if we ignore Isabella later actions)

brett was never guilty of “murder” in uk it would be unlawful act murder-as no intent to kill but death resulted. 

It would probably have been accidental manslaughter here in the US. Murder requires intent and neither Megan nor Brett intended to kill him. But it would depend on what the jury believed.

I think if someone dies while you are committing a crime (like drugging them), you can still be charged with felony murder. At least, that is what TV has taught me. But Luke was still alive when Megan left the cabin, so it seems like a stretch legally.

• Like 1
On 11/10/2023 at 7:51 PM, KaveDweller said:

I think if someone dies while you are committing a crime (like drugging them), you can still be charged with felony murder. At least, that is what TV has taught me. But Luke was still alive when Megan left the cabin, so it seems like a stretch legally.

When a death occurs during a assault or battery, that is usually a form second degree murder, which includes reckless murder. It's essentially any form of willful act that had the intent or high probability of causing extreme harm or death but was not premeditated as murder. 

Felony murder is an exception to the premeditation requirement. It generally requires that you be committing some form of crime that possess an inherent risk to people, though the elements of the crime do not require physical harm, and from which a death could be reasonably anticipated.  The most common examples are kidnapping and robbery. Both crimes put people at risk, but do not have a primary motivation causing physical harm.

• Useful 1