Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, pivot said:

One link. There were rumors of him abusing Uma as well. 

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/07/gary-oldman-alleged-spousal-abuse-mel-gibson/

Nah, the Golden Globes aren't much of precursor any more. Let's see what happens at SAG. 

That would be true if Oldman weren't the presumptive winner since news of this role came out.  But he has been.  Focus has been campaigning hard for him.  He has this "overdue" narrative.  Actors keep talking about how much they admire him.  There's a real age bias at the Oscars which works against the potential competition.  And the role is so Oscar baity.  We joke about Nicole winning an Oscar for wearing a prosthetic nose but there's a reason why...

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Ms.Moon said:

One thing I have always loved about Oprah is that she was always able to be compassionate about people who have struggled in difficult times.  Reese Taylor lived in a time when her abduction and gang rape after church (Oprah made sure that was stated) by six white men would not be treated with any degree of seriousness she knew she would not see any justice for her pain and suffering.  This is a real crime that happened to an actual woman.  Oprah was able to tell that woman’s story and give women many in that room who had been victims themselves and women who were watching, women who will hear about this speech and seek it out, to the women and young women and girls who struggle in so many ways that there is hope, by speaking out we might not be able to fix our situation but our struggles might help others.  Times they are a changing and through all the darkness Hope.

Well said.. As soon as, Oprah invoked Recy's name, I knew that it was going to be one hell of a speech.  People who did not know who Recy Taylor was, will be compelled to read about this extraordinary woman who fought for her right to be heard, in a society that devalued her as a woman of color and as a human being.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 12
Just now, mtlchick said:

Hey show?  Panning to Greta when Barbra stresses the lack of female directors winning this award is sort of your fault so...

I noticed that, too!  

Wow, this 3 Billboards movie is really making the rounds.

7 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I watched Byzantium last night on Hulu.  I bought she was a 200 year old Vampire.

Agreed. She is that good. Gemma Arterton  was pretty great in it, too. Really think she should have won for Brooklyn.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

He loves acting, and the lifestyle it affords, but everything else? He stopped pretending a while ago.

And good on him! (Seriously!)

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 6
Just now, thuganomics85 said:

Whoa, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri wins the big one?!  Considering how polarizing it has been, I really did not see that coming.  Curious to see if the rest feel the same, or are the Globes being outliers.

Well it tries to make a hero out of a racist so there's that. 

• Love 1

I really liked Three Billboards.  Now I have to go and see everything else.

And I kinda missed Seth after the opening.  I seem to remember Tina and Amy (and other hosts) being around more.

• Love 5

Definitely felt like Seth wasn't used as much after the opening.  Too bad, because he was pretty freaking awesome.

Other then that, one of the better telecasts since I was rarely bored and I actually have seen some of the winners.  Curious to see how this Oscar season will play out.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

So Frances was the only one not to wear black?

I think it is hard to say with the lighting. A couple of the presenters looked like they were wearing navy blue and not black. But that could just be the lighting.

I love Frances and this was her first Golden Globe. Jessica Chastain was extraordinary in Molly's Game though so I was hoping she'd pull off an upset win. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Mystery said:

So I'm guessing that Babs didn't show up til the end and that's why she got seats down front next to Oprah. 

I think I spotted her and Mr Babs - I mean Brolin - sitting a bit farther back earlier in the evening.  I guess they just moved up later.

1 minute ago, Mystery said:

So I'm guessing that Babs didn't show up til the end and that's why she got seats down front next to Oprah. 

No, I saw her earlier.  The whole time it looked like her face was frozen.

• Love 4

So I got curious about Denzel after this discussion (I like his acting but I confess I don’t know much about him beyond that). After consulting Ye Olde Wikipedia, I found this quote (apparently from an ancient issue of Parade magazine): 

Washington is a devout Christian,[43] and has considered becoming a preacher. He stated in 1999, "A part of me still says, 'Maybe, Denzel, you're supposed to preach. Maybe you're still compromising.' I've had an opportunity to play great men and, through their words, to preach. I take what talent I've been given seriously, and I want to use it for good."[44] 

Makes me wonder if he was contemplating that during this very show. LOL

Edited by ivygirl
14 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

So Frances was the only one not to wear black?

I think Elisabeth Moss' dress was blue also.

12 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I really liked Three Billboards.  Now I have to go and see everything else.

And I kinda missed Seth after the opening.  I seem to remember Tina and Amy (and other hosts) being around more.

They seemed to be running behind schedule from early on, see Nicole Kidman's speech, and they probably cut stuff for time.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Neeners said:

John Goodman always seems like someone you'd love to have a beer with and hear some of his stories.

The Big Lebowski.

That is all.

Wait a minute - it's not.  Yay on Frances McDormand!

• Love 3