Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E01: Charity meets the guys

• Start Topic

I made up the title.

This might be the only thread with no posts! 

One thing that's nice is that Charity has had a good life do far so maybe there won't be a bunch of sob stories.

• Like 5

Charity's brother, Nehemiah, showed up. Is he going to be a faux suitor, undercover brother?

I guess so! With a creepy mustache and wig. He just called himself "undercover brother." But he's in disguise as a bartender.

This may also be an undercover bachelor audition.

• Like 2
(edited)

Xavier might be the ukulele guy. His chyron says biomedical something.

Something is rattling in the background, making quite a bit of noise. You'd think a handy PA would fix that.

Trying to think of who Charity's brother looks like in disguise. Someone from the 70s.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Like 1

Wish they had spent more than 99 cents on her brother’s wig.  That said, I didn’t like him last season and don’t like him now.  She is a grown woman. Let her make her no decisions.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Ha ha! Braden thought Charity was going to kick him out because he blabbed about her to Nehemiah, but she gave him the first impression rose.

All the guys are silent with indignation. Prediction: Braden will be this season's Wrong Reasons Villain.

• Like 7

Is it cold there?  When was this filmed?  I think I was seeing their breath.  Brrr!
She is pretty, but kind of bland.

Brayden for first impression rose??  OK then.  I thought she had more of a spark with some of the other guys.   
Spencer doesn’t seem quite right.

• Like 10

I always liked her .   She has the same body type as me.  Small, square shoulders, skinny, small boobs.   I hope she doesn't cave to social media and get implanted and worse fill her butt to cartoonish sizenn

• Like 3

So far, the hottest guy to me is the firefighter and then the other hunks are Caleb the wrestler, the deep-sea diver guy and Joey is cute/hot in a baby-faced way.  I want some full on chest hair, fine lines and deep voices, a Tom Selleck mustache- I'll just have to hold out for Golden Senior Citizen Bachelor to get those wishes granted 😉.  Brayden in the previews looks like he ransacked a Claire's and put on as many dangly earrings as he could.  Spencer needs his thyroid checked- he's attractive, but his eyes are a little bulgy.  Charity is constantly licking her teeth and isn't very descriptive with her words.  I'll watch this season for drama, almost fist fights, ill-fitting Men's Warehouse suits and sloppy make outs.  I can't quit you, The Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise! 😩🌹💋

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Something is rattling in the background, making quite a bit of noise. You'd think a handy PA would fix that.

Nothing for a PA to fix, unless they can stop rain!! But I would have thought it would be edited out before broadcasting.

18 minutes ago, Real4real said:

She is pretty, but kind of bland.

I was not excited when she was chosen as B'ette, but I thought she did a great job with the guys' entrances, in terms of engaging with them, not seeming awkward, and making them feel comfortable.

11 minutes ago, Real4real said:

Spencer doesn’t seem quite right.

8 minutes ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Spencer needs his thyroid checked- he's attractive, but his eyes are a little bulgy. 

Beauty must be in the beholder, because I literally had to turn away from the screen when Spencer was on, and I'm not sure that has ever happened to me before.  He is so freaking bizarre, creepy, and off-putting.

9 minutes ago, Bluesky said:

I hope she doesn't cave to social media and get implanted and worse fill her butt to cartoonish sizenn

Me too. And speaking of having work done...holy hell, what happened to Ali Fedotowsky? Desiree also looked like she had work done, but she still at least resembled herself.

• Like 8

The sloppy make outs 😂😂😂. In one of the previews, it looked like one of the guys (Joey?) was practically licking her face!  So sloppy!

There were so many previews for the new Indiana Jones movie, I kind of feel like maybe I’ve seen the whole thing already.  Will I still see it—YES!  I have a little crush on Phoebe Waller Bridge!

• LOL 2

Yeah, Spencer creeps me out too- I like his jaw and his hair, but he's too intense and when she asked if he like his job he said, "A lot, a lot, a lot, a lot!" and kind of stretched his neck and face in a strange way.  At least he's memorable to me though- I've never seen so many guys with exciting careers and completely bland/basic personalities!  The sloppy hardcore make outs in the previews make Showtime's "Gigolos" look tame to me 😅.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

So far, the hottest guy to me is the firefighter and then the other hunks are Caleb the wrestler, the deep-sea diver guy and Joey is cute/hot in a baby-faced way.  I want some full on chest hair, fine lines and deep voices, a Tom Selleck mustache- I'll just have to hold out for Golden Senior Citizen Bachelor to get those wishes granted 😉.  Brayden in the previews looks like he ransacked a Claire's and put on as many dangly earrings as he could.  Spencer needs his thyroid checked- he's attractive, but his eyes are a little bulgy.  Charity is constantly licking her teeth and isn't very descriptive with her words.  I'll watch this season for drama, almost fist fights, ill-fitting Men's Warehouse suits and sloppy make outs.  I can't quit you, The Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise! 😩🌹💋

The wrestler from South Florida was miscast.  There’s no way she’ll choose him.  I agree with you on the firefighter, he is cute.  Sometimes I think half the firefighters are really good looking and half look like Lou from Rescue Me. 

• Wink 3
36 minutes ago, Bluesky said:

The wrestler from South Florida was miscast.  There’s no way she’ll choose him.  I agree with you on the firefighter, he is cute.  Sometimes I think half the firefighters are really good looking and half look like Lou from Rescue Me. 

Yep- the wrestler Caleb B. has a cool 80's TV wrestler vibe; I like that he's really owning his outdated look and he has great cheekbones and I like his wild and wavy hair.  I love the looks of a man in uniform and that San Diego firefighter Aaron S. is a major hunk! I liked Aaron's clever David Attenborough style commentary on the guys displaying their mating dances/behavior.  Aaron is 33 and only 1 year younger than me- I hope that she doesn't pick him so that I can dream about dating him 😅. Hahahaha Lou from "Rescue Me"! Excellent reference 😆

• Like 5

I probably won't watch again til the finale, I watched the guys parade and the rose ceremony, that's it. I am so relieved there were no over the top entrances, such as being shot out of a cannon, etc. I always felt vaguely uncomfortable during that. They did it to be memorable but it showed nothing of their real selves. 

I love the colors and sparkle of that dress! My taste always ran to the gaudy even as a kid. Charity is very slim and fine-boned. I thought the red dress with the bustier top, that she wore in the promos, was wrong for her body type. This glittery dress in shades of pink, she looks so good in those colors. 

Are high-water pants in style now for guys? I thought Braden's pants were too short when I first saw him, but they all seem that way.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Real4real said:

In one of the previews, it looked like one of the guys (Joey?) was practically licking her face!  So sloppy!

Yes, I noticed that too.  I hope we don't have to see him kiss her that way all the time...yuck!

10 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I love the looks of a man in uniform and that San Diego firefighter Aaron S. is a major hunk! I liked Aaron's clever David Attenborough style commentary on the guys displaying their mating dances/behavior.  

His commentary truly was funny, and original...really really good. At first I thought he was hunky, but the more they showed him, the less masculine he looked.  IIRC, the main subject of the nature commentary did not make it past the first night (the champion jumper).

Edited by LuvMyShows
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

None of the guys stood out to me, but they rarely do the first night. I was happy to see there was no one in a mascot outfit and no Wha-boom guy. Spencer had an odd affect. I thought it was an act at first. It still might be, but he acted the same way the entire evening. 

• Like 4

They didn't show all of the men who were eliminated, b/c apparently there were 6. From what I recall, they only showed 3 saying their goodbyes. 

Charity sent home 6 men: Ahmad, Christopher, Pilot Pete, Joe, Nicholas and Taylor. I only saw 3 leave. This one guy that left I had gotten a brief glimpse of, and I was thinking that he was so handsome, what a shame. His name was Joe and he's 32 and a tech operations director. I honestly thought he was one of the best looking of the bunch. I guess if you don't have time to chat that first night and make some sort of impression, even good looks will get you nowhere.

https://parade.com/tv/who-went-home-on-the-bachelorette-tonight-episode-one-premiere-2023

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

Yes, I noticed that too.  I hope we don't have to see him kiss her that way all the time...yuck!

His commentary truly was funny, and original...really really good. At first I thought he was hunky, but the more they showed him, the less masculine he looked.  IIRC, the main subject of the nature commentary did not make it past the first night (the champion jumper).

Aaron is funny, smart, handsome and a firefighter- totally my type.  I laughed out loud too when I heard his commentary about the other men.   I think that Aaron was one of the best dressed of all of the guys- a nice fitting cool colored grey suit that really brought out his blue eyes, nice dress shoes, classic haircut- Grade A hunk 😘.   The guys that have kissed Charity have zero understanding about easing into a kiss- they all went straight into way too passionate French kissing for a first kiss.  French kissing has a time and place and can be hot, but I like a slow build up at least when I'm kissing.   Maybe when these guys hit their 30's they'll know how to kiss 😅.

10 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

They didn't show all of the men who were eliminated, b/c apparently there were 6. From what I recall, they only showed 3 saying their goodbyes. 

Charity sent home 6 men: Ahmad, Christopher, Pilot Pete, Joe, Nicholas and Taylor. I only saw 3 leave. This one guy that left I had gotten a brief glimpse of, and I was thinking that he was so handsome, what a shame. His name was Joe and he's 32 and a tech operations director. I honestly thought he was one of the best looking of the bunch. I guess if you don't have time to chat that first night and make some sort of impression, even good looks will get you nowhere.

https://parade.com/tv/who-went-home-on-the-bachelorette-tonight-episode-one-premiere-2023

I'm really surprised that she didn't pick Joe! Joe is a hunky blonde tech-operations executive, 32 years old and he lives in my city of San Francisco- I'm 2 years older than him and I will swipe right on him if I see him on the dating apps  😄🌹

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I'm so glad that Nehemiah's "undercover brother" bit only lasted one episode, that could have gotten old really fast, especially with that sorry looking disguise. I was also quite relived that he was undercover as a bartender and not a competitor. Even if its all part of the game, gross. 

I liked Charity last season, I found her to be nice but rather boring, but I thought she did a good job here with the guys. She handled all of the introductions well, trying to keep things from getting awkward, and it seems like she was trying to talk to as many guys as possible. I don't think I would have given the first impression rose to Brayden though, I think he's going to become one the seasons villains. He just has that sort of vibe, hopefully Charity isn't one of the Batch's who keeps around the most transparently awful people for way too long. Sometimes you can blame producer interference, but sometimes its just bad decision making.

None of the guys stand out all that much yet, but I'm glad that we didn't get anyone too ridiculous, coming in wearing a stupid costume or a speedo, most of their opening bits seemed pretty restrained. I think the wrestler from Florida stood out the most, he's got a very 80s surfer look that he's really leaning into that I dig.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Go for it, @Hip-to-be-Square!

Oh yeah 🙌! I will! My bold personality might be too much for him to handle since techies in my city tend to be pretty introverted, but I'll definitely swipe right on him if the apps show us each other.  Maybe he'll be on Bachelor in Paradise? Either way, a hot and wealthy tech executive isn't alone for long, that's for sure! 😄

7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I think the wrestler from Florida stood out the most, he's got a very 80s surfer look that he's really leaning into that I dig.

Yes 😊🙌🌹!!  I am definitely into Caleb's 80's surfer look- he definitely stands out amongst the baby faced Instagram influencer guys making up most of this season's cast.  Caleb signed onto WWE television last year as a new wrestler and he has a great body and a lot of strength and speed. I was a varsity wrestler all throughout high school and I was the only girl on a men's team. Wrestlers are hot! Caleb does an amazing lift of his opponent at 2:18 followed by a fierce throwdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCArJvTbloA

• Like 3

Have there ever been this many highly educated (PhD, MD) people before? 

I never liked Charity much on the Bachelor, but she seems to have gotten a personality upgrade since. Although the previews showed way too many scenes of her poking at her teary eyes with those talons.

• Like 3

so the guys were watching many of the other men arrive from inside. So how did they not see her brother arrive sans wig???? Or did that happen first before they guys arrived.

And that wig and mustache was ridiculous.

• Like 3

I think she sent home a few really cute guys.  I don't think they showed her talking to any of them so not sure if there was no chemistry or if they never even got a chance to talk to her.

There do seem to be a lot of highly educated guys who have real, actual jobs for a change.   And lots of ethnic diversity.  From what I recall from her hometown date, most of her friends (and/or sorority sisters) were white.   So it seems like she might be comfortable dating inside or outside her race.  So far I'm surprisingly liking her as the bachelorette. 

• Like 5
23 hours ago, phlebas said:

Spencer reminds me of a TV character who is supposed to be on the spectrum but the screenwriter doesn't know any autistic people.

Yeah, he feels like a plant, like his behavior is part of a plot line. His affect swung so wildly from scene to scene, sometimes he seemed like a serial killer and sometimes he seemed perfectly normal. Charity's initial meeting with him was so strange, she was talking to him the way you'd talk to a crazy person who approached you on the street. 

I'm so glad that Nehemiah's "undercover brother" bit only lasted one episode, that could have gotten old really fast, especially with that sorry looking disguise. I was also quite relived that he was undercover as a bartender and not a competitor. Even if its all part of the game, gross. 

I was relieved it was as a bartender too, but it still seemed like a dumb setup. Bartenders may typically listen to people's problems, but they don't usually probe for information outside of Bachelor in Paradise, so having him ask direct questions should have been a red flag to watch their words. 

The other, even bigger, red flag should have been that ridiculous disguise. I know a lot of 70s and 80s hairstyles have come back lately, but I don't think the geri curl is one of them. That just screamed disguise. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

They should've just had Charity's dad or cousin dress as the bartender without having to have a disguise.  It would've even made better reality tv if these guys were bragging about kissing Charity to her dad.  Maybe my idea is too early 2000's VH1 trash TV, but I would've loved to see that! 😅

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Charity wasn't my choice for Bachelorette so I didn't watch this episode. I wanted to read the comments here though. I I've never been a fan of the first show and the limo scene. I like to watch when the preliminary stuff is over. 

I may check in a little further in the season. I always record this show and the Bachelor so I can fast-forward through the commercials and fluff.

What am I saying? The whole show is fluff. 😛

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

The brother's disguise should have been more subtle. A wig, sure, but a wig that didn't look like it came from the Halloween shop. And maybe glasses instead of a mustache. He was giving himself away asking probing questions, he needed to be listening, not interrogating.

• Like 4
(edited)

This is probably a bad sign that it took me an entire week to get around to watching the show. But I’ve invested 20 years here! Let’s hope this premiere sucks me back in and doesn’t just suck, full stop. 

Aaron with his two-headed coin was a good start.

Josh is giving “guard and protect your heart” vibes. For those who weren’t around back in the olden days of Ali’s season, that’s not a good thing.

My parents met on a flight, so here’s a ticket to Oxford Ohio. Um, you already met, so it’s not the same thing. Though, you know what they say, Oxford OH is the perfect place to fall in love!

A biomedical chemistry doctorate student, following a Harvard graduate student, with a resident physician now on deck! I am loving all of the smart guys this season! Yes, bring on the hot nerds! Keep ‘em coming!

A world-record jumper?! “Okay. I’m done. That guy is out here doing back flips, and I’m in HR.” Hahaha!!

Brayden the travel nurse adventurer is giving serious fuck boi vibes. I feel like he’s stealing his ex’s story of him cheating himself and pretending like he was cheated on.

Did Spencer get hit in the head with a 2x4 or something? Oh, martial arts. I knew I was picking up on a potential brain injury. One too many kicks to the head. Oh man. It’s getting worse. “Wildcard” is a polite descriptor.

Dotun not only gets an intro package but some jingly background music. That means keep your eye on this one. He’ll go far.

Oh, no. Don’t tell me Charity’s brother is actually going to go out there in that Party City getup. I think you’d blend in undercover better just dressed as yourself.

This tennis pro is holding her hand but looking straight ahead and asking questions but talking over her. Girl, life in Hawaii isn’t worth it for this red flag body language. Wait, she’s snuggling him?! Isn’t she supposed to be a clinical therapist? She should be picking up on this better. 

Dear Charity, please pick my son. He’s a very good boy. We also would like to be on TV, so please come for hometowns. We will have more cider and donuts waiting for you.

Xavier the biomedical chemist is still catching my eye. A kiss!! Yes!! I knew he was a good catch for her! Wow. Not a kiss. A whole-ass make-out session!

Why do they have undercover brother in a puffy jacket instead of a trench coat? Come on. If you’re going this far with the ridiculous disguise, you better lean all the way in.

John the data scientist also gets a make-out! Well, I was right about her going for the hot nerds. I wasn’t so sure about her as the lead, but so far I’m liking the same guys she does,

Sir, this home is a rental. Please don’t jump on the counter. Now we have synchronized back flips?! 

Spencer has a child?! I’m pretty befuddled how he got at least one woman to sleep with him. This man CANNOT be in sales!!! You have to be charismatic and a smooth talker. Unless he’s like the “before” example for whatever medical device they’re selling. Yes, I’ll take two!

Charity is still not catching on to this double-headed coin. But I guess she doesn’t care as long as she can kiss Aaron. We now have three kisses and contenders for the first impression rose. Once again, another one of my picks.

Oh, no! Now she’s kissing Brayden who is on my Naighty list. Please, Charity, don’t give up the other good ones for him. He might be saying the right things, but he does not seem sincere.

Does Charity now have the record for the most first-night make-outs?!

”It’s a fake mustache!!!” Bhwahahaha! No shit.  These expressions of shock and awe!!

The brother and I are both Team Aaron. If he doesn’t win, I think he’s for sure a contender for next lead. I don’t usually make that proclamation day 1. Xavier is my other favorite.

Charity and Brayden are inside and we can see this man’s breath! Someone forgot to pay the gas bill at the Bachelor manse. They are next to a wall of 100 candles for warmth, and it’s still not working. There is another wall sculpture of candles on the perpendicular wall! Good thing they have a firefighter in the house. He should be issuing a citation.

Wait. What?!? Your best friend/brother tells you Brayden is here for the wrong reasons and your response is that you’re glad he feels strongly about you and here’s the first impression rose. 

Girl, I was just about to say this is the first season I’m Here for the Right Reasons in a long time. The new production really did go back to the old way of casting desirable suitors—and instead she goes for this guy?!? I guess the final two will be the wrestler and the parkour guy at this rate.
angry how dare you GIF

Oh, god. There’s still 22 minutes left. There must be a revolt or something after she comes back all giggly.

Dotun didn’t even get to talk to her? He even got music during his intro. 

At least Aaron got the first rose amongst the general population. John next. Then Xavier. At this point, just say everyone I kissed, take one step forward.

okay, still a chance for Dotun. I knew that music meant something!

Oh, no, the weird salesman is crying. Whaaat?!?! She gave him a rose?!?! Charity, he is the only worse pick than Brayden! You have so many amazing guys. You better not screw this up!!!

My biggest takeaway from the preview is that Brayden’s earrings get progressively danglier and gaudier as the season progresses. He accessorizes like a quirky middle school art teacher with statement jewelry. Or, pieces of flair, like Mystery on the old VH-1 show, The Pick-Up Artist.

ETA: After reading the other posts, it seems like most people like firefighter Aaron? But I like the Black Aaron, not the white Aaron. Now I’m not sure which one the brother liked because I didn’t notice the initial to pick up that there was more than one.

Edited by JenE4
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1