Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: The Real Deal

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

CN was married to a man for 15 years before divorcing and getting together with her current wife, and now Miranda divorces her long-time husband to get together with Che.

Did CN treat her then-husband like crap too? If so, the guy has my sympathy.

46 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

This can be done well if we had seen some kind of evolution of Miranda showing that she was dissatisfied with her marriage and had found sexual interest in women over a period of time. But the last we saw of her and Steve, she had been devastated that he'd cheated on her and make him crawl over broken glass to earn her forgiveness. She was still deeply invested in their relationship, otherwise she wouldn't have cared. But along comes Che with their magic fingers and suddenly Miranda not only can't wait to escape the hell of her marriage but declares her undying love for Che

It’s the hypocrisy that galls me. Miranda was getting bored with her married life back then, treating sex like a chore and preferring daily brunch with her friends over time with her husband and later claiming she was too “busy” for him, yet she wasn’t the one that cheated so she still had the moral high ground.

But what could have salvaged this horrendous storyline is Miranda owning up to the hypocrisy of cheating after being such a hardass over his one-night stand. Maybe acknowledging that her harshness toward Steve last season was fueled by guilt and that she felt terrible for what she was doing to him, and that he deserved better. Then realizing that she needed to break it off with Steve AND Che and give herself space to focus on whatever was going on with her and figure out what she really wants out of life. Had the writers tried that approach, I would still have had some respect for Miranda.

• Like 8
7 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I liked Miranda much better when she was straight and cynical. The full nudity in the deprivation tank was stupid. We get it, CN is here to normalize nearly 60-year old naked bodies but that was really dumb. The character is way too uptight for a sensory deprivation tank and doesn’t she have a bad back anyway?

Even if she "came out", I miss the cynical and pragmatic Miranda. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Hana Chan said:

This is about Cynthia Nixon's personal agenda.

And shame on whoever is in charge for allowing it.  It has ruined the character and severely damaged AJLT and tainted SATC.  This storyline just does not fit Miranda.  As has already been mentioned many years ago when she was mistaken as a lesbian she said nope not me.  Was dismissive of Samantha being with a woman.  And was part of the mocking jokes when Carrie was dating the bi guy.  Out of the four leads on SATC Miranda was the one who was the least LGTBQ friendly.

2 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

And I agree that there is nil in the way of chemistry between Miranda and Che. CN looks pretty good for her age, but I find it hard to see how someone like Che, who is a decade younger, would have been at all interested in a (previously) grey-haired and presumably straight woman.

I think this is CN's fantasy.  She wishes she had this relationship with someone like Che. From what we have seen of her real life partner she is nothing like Che physically or personality wise.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

But what could have salvaged this horrendous storyline is Miranda owning up to the hypocrisy of cheating after being such a hardass over his one-night stand. Maybe acknowledging that her harshness toward Steve last season was fueled by guilt and that she felt terrible for what she was doing to him, and that he deserved better. Then realizing that she needed to break it off with Steve AND Che and give herself space to focus on whatever was going on with her and figure out what she really wants out of life. Had the writers tried that approach, I would still have had some respect for Miranda.

With these writers and of course CN being very outspoken about what she wants for Miranda I will be shocked if this happens.  For any good not horrible storyline that is shown on AJLT this show is going be remembered for the hole of suck that is Miranda Hobbes. 

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I think this is CN's fantasy.  She wishes she had this relationship with someone like Che. From what we have seen of her real life partner she is nothing like Che physically or personality wise.

I think CN has the worlds biggest crush on Sara and wants to jump in their pants in real life and this is a way to play out the fantasy without CN cheating on her wife. Our beloved Miranda was the causality. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
15 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

And shame on whoever is in charge for allowing it.  It has ruined the character and severely damaged AJLT and tainted SATC.  This storyline just does not fit Miranda. 

Writing that feels blatantly reverse-engineered is rarely good. @Hana Chanwas saying that it would have been better if we had seen Miranda evolving, growing dissatisfied with her marriage, but here, MPK just said to CN, "What do you think, should we make Miranda queer?" and she said, "Sure!" and they were off to the races. The marriage became bad to fit the story they were determined to tell, and then we had MPK adding his two cents in interviews about how Miranda and Steve were never a very good couple and they only got married because she was pregnant.  

I really blame him more than CN. Actors having input into their characters doesn't have to be a bad thing. I'm sure there a lot of cases where it's made a show, movie, or play better. But MPK is the showrunner. He should have kept a clearer line between the actress and her fictional character with 25 years of history. I've always liked CN's acting, and I probably still will in the future. But I'm sure when she was in Rabbit Hole on stage, playing Emily Dickinson for Terence Davies in a movie, in that political TV series Robert Altman directed, etc., those directors weren't giving her free rein to make the characters match her own life story.  

• Like 10

I've only read page 1 of this thread - too busy right now to read all of it, but I wanted to comment on the cabbie thing and I see it has been discussed.  I don't object to the  show calling out white to black racism and prejudice when it's appropriate, but in this case I feel that they were off the mark because it's been a very long time since there have been very many yellow cabbies that are white or even American born in NYC.  I could cite numerous articles and studies to this effect, and even as recently as 5 years ago the percentage of non-white yellow cabbies was over 85-90%, so if black people are getting passed over for white passengers by yellow cab drivers it's most likely today not being done by white people.  So it's barely even a thing today in NY - note that it was famously a thing decades ago, but that's not today.  Most yellow cabbies today are Southeast Asian or Hispanic.  

Note that my husband drives a limo. in his semi-retirement for a very rich NON-WHITE family and is down in Manhattan at least twice a week.  We are native NY-ers so we are well aware of the history of prejudice, but my husband was offended that they would make the unknowing public think that white-black racism among yellow cabbies in NYC is still a thing that needs to be called out.  For sure white-black racism is still being played out in other venues, so we think it would have been more appropriate to pick one that was timely and relevant, not one that is not even much of a thing anymore.  I'm not saying it might not happen in isolated cases with white yellow cabbies (if there are any still around), just that it's not the timely relevant issue the show is making people that don't know any better think it is.

BTW, my husband says that most cabbies of any race would not pass over a black man dressed in a suit that stood in front of a building in that neighborhood on Park Ave.  He says most cabbies have a sense for who is OK and not OK and it's not based on race.  Of course there are some that are prejudiced, but if this kind of racial prejudice is a thing today in NYC it's unfair to single out white cabbies for doing it when simply by virtue of the fact that most cabbies are not white or even American born, it's by far most commonly being done by people of other races and nationalities.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 6
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think CN has the worlds biggest crush on Sara and wants to jump in their pants in real life and this is a way to play out the fantasy without CN cheating on her wife. Our beloved Miranda was the causality. 

Hell I have a crush on Sara and I’m straight as an arrow! I think it’s a confidence thing plus I think Sara Ramirez is a really attractive person. 

I miss the Miranda that got hit on the head during the bouquet toss and didn’t miss a beat. 

• Wink 3
  • LOL 1
On 6/22/2023 at 7:07 AM, TakomaSnark said:

I can’t decide who is more annoying so far: Rock, Lily or Miranda. I’ve yelled ‘shut up’ at all three of them.

Rock and Lily get a pass from me -- barely-- because they're still children. 

On 6/23/2023 at 8:15 AM, luna1122again said:

I like Nya and am glad she's dumping her terrible, gaslighting husband. I'm hoping Gary Dourdon shows back up. 

You and me both. As I said about the last ep, I really like Nya, but she's so separate from everyone else. I wish she was able to interact with more than just her "about to cheat" husband and Miranda. Does she have any friends? Work friends? 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Hell I have a crush on Sara and I’m straight as an arrow! I think it’s a confidence thing plus I think Sara Ramirez is a really attractive person. 

I miss the Miranda that got hit on the head during the bouquet toss and didn’t miss a beat. 

Never seen Grey's and had to google and boy was Sara just gorgeous with the long hair.  Personally don't like Che. I dunno if it's the character or the actor since i have not seen them in anything but this show. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Steve tried the “I was unhappy!, we weren’t having sex, it was just sex, it meant nothing” tack and Miranda was still furious, yet ultimately forgave him.

Miranda pulled the “I *had* to cheat because Che awakened something in me and I was unhappy and I’ve never felt fulfilled in this relationship.”  I think Steve would be justified in it being equally pissed at being an *emotional* and physical affair.

“I’m sorry but I’m bored so I have to have someone be knuckles-deep inside me while my best friend languishes in another room.”  Being bored isn’t a hall pass!  

My only hope is that they will thankfully leave Char and Harry alone.  Give me one existing couple to root for.

Edited by Lethallyfab
It
  • Like 8
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1

I'm not watching this garbage but judging by what I have read in this and the previous thread, and by this photo:

72423385-12223591-image-a-65_16874488625

this show is sounding like The Real Housewives of Fake New York City.

(Charlotte is barely recognizable above.)

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
On 6/23/2023 at 10:18 PM, CarpeFelis said:

The “poor little rich girl” aspect wasn’t so much about how she got the keyboard as the “poor little rich me, my surroundings are so devoid of meaning” type of song she wrote.

100 likes for this! ^

Oh how I wished a supernatural being like  a Genii would appear right in the middle of Lily's tween lament about "the power of privilege"  and switch her place  with a lovely little girl from a family that's barely making it economically... one who might be grateful for all she has. 😡

The actress seems like a pretty sweet little girl. Once again I blame the writers. Hopefully halfway decent people in the real world who live the way Harry and Charlotte do  teach their children that a great thing to do with your creativity and free time would be to  get off yourself   and maybe think about how to help others.

• Like 3

Apropos of nothing, how come Carrie Bradshaw AND Sarah Jessica Parker are inveterate New Yorkers, yet she stays looking like someone who spends a lot of time at the beach?

I know for a few thou one can get  the highlights, but how come she's suntanned  year round?

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, T Summer said:

Apropos of nothing, how come Carrie Bradshaw AND Sarah Jessica Parker are inveterate New Yorkers, yet she stays looking like someone who spends a lot of time at the beach?

I know for a few thou one can get  the highlights, but how come she's suntanned  year round?

LOL, I have a longtime girlfriend I've known since we were 12.  We are both turning 65 this year.  I call her "the REAL Carrie Bradshaw" because she is a native NY-er, has lived and worked in Manhattan all her life, was single with her own Mr. Big for a long while but later broke up (she just got married to a really nice guy), tall, leggy with long blonde hair with highlights and a perpetual tan.  She even had a similar apartment!  That look is just a thing with some women, maybe an attempt at looking year round like they just got back from the Hamptons in the Summer.  What do I know?  I'm a pale faced brunette. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

LOL, I have a longtime girlfriend I've known since we were 12.  We are both turning 65 this year.  I call her "the REAL Carrie Bradshaw" because she is a native NY-er, has lived and worked in Manhattan all her life, was single with her own Mr. Big for a long while but later broke up (she just got married to a really nice guy), tall, leggy with long blonde hair with highlights and a perpetual tan.  She even had a similar apartment!  That look is just a thing with some women, maybe an attempt at looking year round like they just got back from the Hamptons in the Summer.  What do I know?  I'm a pale faced brunette. 🤷‍♀️

I used to spend a fortune on getting my highlights done just so on my long hair... finding and hanging on to the right colorist who'd give you what you wanted was a nightmare! and I used to use self tanners when they first became widely available and on into the 90's and 00's, but that was a huge time consuming production so I stopped. Granted I haven't tried them lately and maybe they're giving you a more natural color nowadays, IDK, but Carrie always looks like she has a natural suntan.🫢

10 hours ago, T Summer said:

100 likes for this! ^

Oh how I wished a supernatural being like  a Genii would appear right in the middle of Lily's tween lament about "the power of privilege"  and switch her place  with a lovely little girl from a family that's barely making it economically... one who might be grateful for all she has. 😡

The actress seems like a pretty sweet little girl. Once again I blame the writers. Hopefully halfway decent people in the real world who live the way Harry and Charlotte do  teach their children that a great thing to do with your creativity and free time would be to  get off yourself   and maybe think about how to help others.

I agree that Lily is old enough to feel gratitude for all she has, and hopefully she has some concept of how other people live. 

But I also lay blame at the feet of Charlotte and Harry. They were responsible for teaching their daughters how to recognize and appreciate their privilege. To understand the value of money. And do either of them do any public service or bring the girls with them to community volunteer events, etc?

For example, if Charlotte and Harry buy all designer clothes for their children, then why wouldn't Lily think she should have a brand-new keyboard just because she wants it?

• Like 5
On 6/23/2023 at 10:05 PM, buckboard said:

Searching for her phone, Miranda threw all the seaweed and garbage that they'd spent the whole afternoon picking up out of the trash baskets back onto the sand. 

And instead of dumping them all out, the logical way to search through multiple containers is to dump the first one, and then dump the contents of the second one into the empty first as she searched through it, the contents of the third one into the now empty second one, and so on. Never move stuff more than once. But Miranda’s common sense seems to have run off with her fashion sense.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, Blackie said:

Miranda putting  sea weed in a bucket and then walking 1 foot to dump in a pile was the stupidest part of the whole show!

She has her own scream as well, akin to Carrie’s little screams/shrieks. Very annoying.

• Like 6
On 6/26/2023 at 5:35 PM, Lethallyfab said:

Steve tried the “I was unhappy!, we weren’t having sex, it was just sex, it meant nothing” tack and Miranda was still furious, yet ultimately forgave him.

Miranda pulled the “I *had* to cheat because Che awakened something in me and I was unhappy and I’ve never felt fulfilled in this relationship.”  I think Steve would be justified in it being equally pissed at being an *emotional* and physical affair.

“I’m sorry but I’m bored so I have to have someone be knuckles-deep inside me while my best friend languishes in another room.”  Being bored isn’t a hall pass!  

My only hope is that they will thankfully leave Char and Harry alone.  Give me one existing couple to root for.

I would have respected the storyline a bit more if they spun it like they spent all that time shut inside during the pandemic and they realized they fallen out of love with eachother but stayed in the marriage for blah blah reason. Steve was super hurt last season and after the crap Miranda gave him when he had cheated and her acting so high and mighty, i feel they need to give Steve a win and have him living with some gorgeous woman younger than Miranda and more successful. 

As for Charlotte, I still wish we can get a Trey update.

On 6/27/2023 at 12:29 AM, T Summer said:

100 likes for this! ^

They would have had more success in a storyline where Lily becomes some type of activist trying to fight "the man" instead of singing how she lives in a glided cage. 

I'm telling you guys, an AI is writing this crap.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

So in the previous episode Franklyn invites Carrie to a  a rooftop thing on Tuesday where his buddy is previewing a new bourbon and she  feels compelled to dump him because she thinks he wants to.... like  get married or something? Even after she cancelled and told him she was only ready for Thursdays and he said ok.

Isn't that a bit hasty? She described their new thing as great when talking to Charlotte and when with  Anthony and Charlotte at lunch she said he's  a very nice man. On the verge of 60 in NYC in today's sucky world  are handsome pleasant easy going men so plentiful  Carrie can just discard one she's  enjoying spending Thursdays with? 

🤔

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, T Summer said:

Isn't that a bit hasty? She described their new thing as great when talking to Charlotte and when with  Anthony and Charlotte at lunch she said he's  a very nice man. On the verge of 60 in NYC in today's sucky world  are handsome pleasant easy going men so plentiful  Carrie can just discard one she's  enjoying spending Thursdays with? 

Carrie didn’t discard him. He ended it because he was falling for her and just didn’t want to be her bed warmer (love pulling that old fashioned phrase out when it’s called for). 

Carrie didn’t want to actually date him- so she understood why he ended it. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Carrie didn’t discard him. He ended it because he was falling for her and just didn’t want to be her bed warmer (love pulling that old fashioned phrase out when it’s called for). 

Carrie didn’t want to actually date him- so she understood why he ended it. 

Alright. You're right. I just rewatched the end scene.

I was thinking about how when he asked her to the rooftop thing she then called Che to ask what Franklyn was like, and then had to run it by Anthony.

You were asked out for a drink, Carrie. Get a grip.

Seems very unrealistic. but then I forgot how badly this thing is written.

• Like 4
On 6/26/2023 at 11:01 PM, millennium said:

this show is sounding like The Real Housewives of Fake New York City.

(Charlotte is barely recognizable above.)

Charlotte has been  toned down a bit from s1 but she is still nearly unrecognizable from the character she portrayed in early SATC episodes, and I'm not even referring to procedures she may have had.

The slow  exaggerated way of speaking, the baby talk,  the wide eyes as if incredulous every single time she delivers a line. 🤢 It's absolutely sickening.

• Like 3

I am annoyed with Miranda, she hated when Steve would wanted sexy time and she would be on the phone or trying to work and he would continue to try to get things started, she'd yell at him and there would be no nooky but cut to her getting busy with Che (down there as the commercial said), who had to take a work call and Miranda kept trying to get Che off after Che told her stop and Miranda was not happy about that...what happened to Miranda, where did she go?

Are they trying to rewrite Smith and Samantha's Hollywood story with Che and Miranda?

Seriously, that whole thing with someone trying get in your pants when you have clearly told them to stop is stupid, who could take a work call and still climax? Hollywood sex scenes, ugh. 

Charlotte has put so much filler in her face she cannot even speak normally, she has that hiss thing going on when she says certain words.

• Like 7
On 6/26/2023 at 7:35 AM, Yeah No said:

but in this case I feel that they were off the mark because it's been a very long time since there have been very many yellow cabbies that are white or even American born in NYC. 

LOL the racism went away because there are no white cabbies?

Black people take Lyfts and Ubers because taxis don't stop for us no matter who the driver is. It subsided a little right after 9/11 because some people wouldn't ride with Sikhs and those of south asian descent so those drivers began picking us up but that stopped soon enough. 

Whatever Kristen Davis did to her face is weird. SJP should not pull her hair back from her face. This show is so weird in the world we live in. I think in the future episodes of this will be held up as the ideal, in the same way, Andy Griffith show is. This life exists in a limited way but it will be held up as the norm.

• Applause 1
On 6/23/2023 at 12:00 PM, libgirl2 said:

Not everyone who is adopted wonders about that. I have several friends who are and they have told me they have no urge to find that out. 

Growing up, the adoptees I knew felt similarly. They had no interest in seeking out their bio parents.

• Like 1
On 6/22/2023 at 9:27 PM, violet and green said:

Less good than episode one, but still so far better than season one. I am so glad that damn podcast is over. They are really clearing out the dross to make way for more interesting aspects.

It was funny, after Hong Kong Garden in ep one, that they used up all their music money earlier on with Hotel California (great editing of the drum beat and the realisation she had to look in the piles of seaweed) and just had miscellaneous "upbeat music" for the end credits.

I am really surprised how much better overall this is than season one. Miranda's dreadful hair is better than the tortured wigs of differing lengths. Che is less offensive. And that stupid podcast is done!

Surprised that I liked this episode more than the last one. The Miranda garbage scenes were funny. Still wish I could see her old character though and not this weak facsimile. Miranda was known for being smart and driven, yet we're supposed to believe she's content to pick up garbage while waiting for Che? Even the scene of her at the AA meeting was not authentic of her character at all. Please writers, send Stepford Miranda away and bring back the real one.

I did enjoy the use of Hotel California and her scenes with the surfers though. 

Charlotte's kids irritate me, but Lily has a nice voice. Was that really the actress singing?

Che was more tolerable than usual. Like this character better alone than with Miranda. I cringed at the sex scene as they have no chemistry. I did like the scene  of Che and Tony Danza at the restaurant. Also thought Che's ex-husband was kind of hot. 

I'm not warming to Carrie, but I've never been a big fan of hers. The shut down of the podcast seemed random and sudden. I wonder what her next career move will be. 

I feel a little guilty saying this, but sometimes I wish things didn't come so easily for Carrie. Men, jobs, designer clothes and shoes. I wish I could see a more vulnerable side of her. I didn't even really see it when Big died. 

• Like 5
(edited)
On 6/23/2023 at 2:06 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t quite get what Charlotte expected her to do. Take it out of her savings? Selling her clothes seemed to be more financially responsible. 

Actually, there was some discussion about the future value of those Chanel pieces, so Charlotte also saw them as not just Lily's clothes, but an investment. Basically Lily did dip into Charlotte's investments.

ETA: I wasn't going to watch this season, just let you folks (who are made of sterner stuff than I) document the atrocities. But your comments are so entertaining I've been lured back into watching. I still can't get over how good Nixon is in The Gilded Age, and what a lousy actress she is on this show. Maybe it's because she's playing herself now, instead of Miranda, and it's just too personal.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Like 5

When Lily said she needed a NORD (which I guess is a keyboard) and a better audio interface   Charlotte replied you have a job playing for classes at AVT so just save up. Lily moaned that'll take forever, I have something I need to say now.

Charlotte shouldn't have added you want it, you find a way.

Is it so unthinkable that the answer really is  no right now?  Maybe her parents need to think about the expenditure. Maybe they want to  consider gifting  it  to her for an upcoming birthday or holiday.

Lily should not feel free to sell designer clothes she didn't pay for or to have people coming by the apartment without her parent's  knowlege and permission!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

So Seema's "red flag" detector was correct and her guy was trying to hustle her when he asked her to invest in a club with him. I wasn't sure that he wasn't legit and had just asked too soon, when it was too early in their relationship to mix dating and business. Her other red flags -- that he instructed his ex-wife to get the check and that he was still living with her -- then did add up to three red flags. He tried to explain their living together because of how difficult and expensive it is to rent/buy in NYC, but Seema wasn't having it.

I liked this story for her! She's a wealthy and independent woman who has learned to be wary and note red flags early on to avoid wasting her time. She is wise to decide yay or nay before she gets too emotionally invested, which might cloud her judgment. I think finding her Birkin was her signal that her bullshit detector was working just fine and she was right to walk away from that guy. Like her blowout man told her, he "blows hot and cold" and isn't living Seema's life so she shouldn't take his "advice" seriously.

I'd have kept her guy around a while longer for the sex though, LOL!

• Like 3
On 6/26/2023 at 9:45 AM, bluegirl147 said:

And shame on whoever is in charge for allowing it.  It has ruined the character and severely damaged AJLT and tainted SATC.  This storyline just does not fit Miranda.  As has already been mentioned many years ago when she was mistaken as a lesbian she said nope not me.  Was dismissive of Samantha being with a woman.  And was part of the mocking jokes when Carrie was dating the bi guy.  Out of the four leads on SATC Miranda was the one who was the least LGTBQ friendly.

Internalized homophobia is a pretty common phenomenon. Sexuality is complicated and feelings outside the "norm" are scary and confusing.  Repressing your sexuality and even outwardly being homophobic before coming out is hardly uncommon especially amongst queer people of a certain generation. 

Just because Miranda kissed one woman thirty years ago and wasn't into it, doesn't mean that she's straight. Nor does her being shitty to Samantha or Carrie. I think the show would be better if they acknowledged how this behavior could have been part of Miranda's own internalized homophobia and repression, but the behavior isn’t unheard-of.

Also Che isn't a woman. Just because Miranda wasn't into another woman 30 years ago, in no way means she can't be into a nonbinary person today.

Miranda was pretty clearly queer coded in the original show (at least IMO) and the mistaken lesbian plot was the writers lampshading it. I don't think Miranda's coming out has been handled well, but I also don’t think it came from nowhere. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 6/23/2023 at 9:22 AM, SnapHappy said:

The wheelchair bitch would have gotten SO much a verbal beatdown from me after that vicious spew.  No media company is going to go under because a single podcaster refuses to flood her airspace with vagina references.  NOT gonna happen. 

Maybe if you were a better fucking producer, Chloe, your podcast wouldn't have tanked. Good luck getting another job with that mouth.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2