Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E02: Project Redemption

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Being unable to sew didn't seem to do Anya (season 9 winner) any harm.

True, but Anya's aesthetic was basically caftans........I don't know how to sew and I think I could manage that too. She was a one way monkey that the judges gave a pass to every week......

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

True, but Anya's aesthetic was basically caftans........I don't know how to sew and I think I could manage that too. She was a one way monkey that the judges gave a pass to every week......

How I miss Dmitri.

• Like 10
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 6/17/2023 at 4:20 PM, dleighg said:

I agree on that. A lot of the time I think it's too vague to be helpful -- "I don't see you in this." But it seems that the contestants know what he means, or maybe they're just faking it.

YMMV, but with Tim, his critiques seemed to get the designers to rethink and retool. With Christian, they plant doubts. 

On 6/19/2023 at 4:25 PM, Ilovepie said:

I thought Kayne totally deserved that win - it was gorgeous, well made and fit the assignment, something many did not even attempt to do  - I'm talking about you Prajje and Kara - wtf did either of those garments have to do with their original looks? Zero!

And why would Nora come on a show that is 50% a sewing competition and admit she hasn't sewn in 9 years? What? Why would you do that to yourself???? Her dress barely met the assignment and it was stylistically dated and horrifically sewn?

What I wouldn't give for an old school Michael Kors bon mot about Viktor's look - holy hell that was....something......

I find her annoying, but I actually liked Anna's redo, and I thought Britney and Mila did a great job too. I can't decide if I liked Fabio's - it looked good on the model, but if he had any of the bustier models, her boobs would have been falling out the side.

I  love sweet Bishme, but I would have put that in the bottom. It did meet the challenge, but it was gaudy and unflattering on his model. No idea what they were on about. I would have had Laurence's look in the top - her pants and jacket were 1000 times more classy, cool and elegant than Bishme's....

Also really liked Korto and Rami's. Who else thought that interaction between Rami and Christian was awkward? I'm sure it's not the last!

The sooner Hester leaves, the better. Seriously, in twenty seasons, THIS is who Nina wanted to see again? GAH! And she can take Elaine with her. Cannot stand her, and now she's in the car commercials I have to suffer through? Blech.

I would have trouble accepting criticism from ye old serving wench, oh my mistake, Alicia Silverstone. Who did she piss off that put her boobs in that top?  Those cups were working overtime to hoist those saggy bags!

This. Think of all the other Season 1 contestants they could have asked, like Vanessa Riley. 😁 Nora’s dress just looked sad, and made her original design look like high fashion.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, RoseAllDay said:

This. Think of all the other Season 1 contestants they could have asked, like Vanessa Riley. 😁 Nora’s dress just looked sad, and made her original design look like high fashion.

To be fair, we don’t know who they asked and said no…just who said yes.  

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
On 6/19/2023 at 3:54 PM, Ilovepie said:

I’m of the opinion that Anya’s aesthetic was basically caftans because she didn’t know how to sew — in contrast to Uli in S3, who had a similar aesthetic, but had the skills to easily step outside when necessary. Anya stated she learned to sew specifically to enter, and she could not set a sleeve without help from her fellow contestants. What Anya had in spades was style, and she was telegraphed as the favorite from the get-go. Her coasting to the win was a big reason I stopped watching until the show returned to Bravo.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
(edited)
On 6/17/2023 at 7:14 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Tim, who was not a designer, was good at giving design advice, but the last seasons he kind of just swanned around telling them to "make it work."  I love Tim Gunn, but you could see he was bored with it all towards the end there.

I am rewatching some of the previous seasons on Peacock.  The later seasons with Tim (before Christian became the mentor) it appeared to me that he was different (more bored, playing favorites a bit more, etc).  Also, each season became his “favorite” with the most talented designers.  It made me look at him as being a little fake.  Of course, I do think that my perspective on him changed after seeing him on “Under the Gunn”.  I wish that I could rewatch that to see if my feelings about that show have changed.

Kayne’s missing fabric —- The horsehair fabric was on the counter and not in a bag when Kayne left the counter.  It makes me think that it may have not been included in the items that were checked out and paid for.   I believe that in previous seasons other designers had things left at Mood.  While it is a stressful and rushed situation, I put the responsibility of the designers to make sure that everything that they want is included.  If they actually paid for it and forgot the bag, then I would hope that Mood would send their bag over to Project Runway.  Since I believe that Mood is closed down for the designers to shop, the store should realize that any extra bags belong to Project Runway and could set them aside.  Production could go back and pick up the missing purchases.  With it being a long standing collaboration between Project Runway and Mood, I would think that if items are paid for and missing that the accounting department would be all over it.  

Edited by Pixley
Repeated / missing words
  • Like 7
18 hours ago, caitmcg said:

I’m of the opinion that Anya’s aesthetic was basically caftans because she didn’t know how to sew — in contrast to Uli in S3, who had a similar aesthetic, but had the skills to easily step outside when necessary.

Loved Uli - she was a delight, as was that whole season!

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Pixley said:

I would think that if items are paid for and missing that the accounting department would be all over it.  

That's why I think you're right to begin with--horsehair left on the counter and not part of the paid order. Also, best thing that could have happened to Kayne that week.

• Like 2

Welcome to Project Runway: Some Stars. I'm not going to go into my thoughts on each look because, well, I just don't feel like it. I will say I like Kayne's winning look. When the model came down she had it up like an overcoat or something and it looked weird. When it dropped it was a lot of fun, so I'm glad it won. A lot of modern fashion is missing whimsey, so it was a breath of fresh air. 

I will say I don't find these asymmetrical challenges unfair. Listen, I know they are allowed to reinterpret it however they see fit, but some of these looks lended themselves to greater elevation than others. I liked both bottom looks to an extent (S1 for life) but they were both matronly, sadly. 

• Like 2

All of the clips from old skool Project Runway made me really miss Michael Kors.  I think at the time everyone thought he was incredibly bitchy but he had some CLASSIC one liners!

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

And why would Nora come on a show that is 50% a sewing competition and admit she hasn't sewn in 9 years? What? Why would you do that to yourself????

Sewing skills are necessary and picked on by the judges....but not always.  Allow me to remind you of Anya-Ayoung-Chee who won Season 9.  

At least Nora had that skill set in her past and could probably call upon it again.  Anya won without having much of it.

• Like 1
(edited)

I have to wonder if Nora was cast at the last minute when someone else had to back out? It sometimes happens in reality show casting. They may have reached out to her on social media to see if she was available. It may explain why she was so out of practice before going into this challenge. 
Also, I’m pretty sure Christian did design Alicia’s dress. He did a lot of red gingham in his spring 2022 collection. 

ETA: here’s a photo of a dress from that collection 

IMG_7075.webp

Edited by Angeleyes
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 3
4 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

ETA: here’s a photo of a dress from that collection 

That seems like a "more upscale" red gingham than what alicia was wearing? Wasn't hers more the classic picnic tablecloth pattern?

Oh my, I'm wrong. It is definitely his

image.thumb.png.3e90e24bd26897460edb33c068d1ed88.png

• Mind Blown 3

And why would Nora come on a show that is 50% a sewing competition and admit she hasn't sewn in 9 years? What? Why would you do that to yourself???? Her dress barely met the assignment and it was stylistically dated and horrifically sewn?

Not only did Nora show up without her sewing skills being on point...

but then she goes and changes to embellishing  the  new dress with petals. PETALS! All I could think of was PR winner of s5  Leanne Marshall's final collection with all the petals. So beautiful, and  so meticulously sewn.

• Like 3

Really loved Kayne's dress. Even better was Brandon's little gasp when the coat became a skirt/train. That dude loves a reveal!

On 6/16/2023 at 12:49 PM, CraftyHazel said:

Hester can leave any time now, seriously.  One of my least favorites ever.

She's not a favorite of mine, either. But she's nowhere near as awful as Helen or  Orange Josh for me. I noped out of one of the All Star seasons because of Helen and hope she and Josh never, ever come back to this show.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:15 PM, ichbin said:

By the end for me he wasn't the same Tim Gunn that he was in the beginning.  Under the Gunn did that in for me and I was never able to see him as benevolent and unbiased after that.  

Same.

13 hours ago, ruffy666 said:

All of the clips from old skool Project Runway made me really miss Michael Kors.  I think at the time everyone thought he was incredibly bitchy but he had some CLASSIC one liners!

Yes, he did! They played a clip of him saying someone's outfit was so dowdy and grandma that all it lacked was tissue in the pockets. I'm still giggling over that one.

• LOL 3
12 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Yes, he did! They played a clip of him saying someone's outfit was so dowdy and grandma that all it lacked was tissue in the pockets. I'm still giggling over that one.

I apologize since it is not on topic, but the clips of Michael made me miss him so much! I will never not laugh at "That crotch is insane!"

I feel like Brandon is there to bring the snark, but it's not the same. And I do miss Heidi too. OG cast was the best!

I appreciate Christian's style of critique a little more than Tim's because Christian is much more direct and often more collaborative than Tim. I feel like sometimes Tim would walk away and the designer was just as confused about how to fix the problem than with Christian who gets right to the point: "Why are you buying this fabric? Get out of this aisle!" I think being a designer vs. a teacher brings a different perspective, and Christian is much more willing to outright say how to fix something than Tim ever was.

• Like 3

The thing with Christian's mentoring is that IMO he sometimes is really close to redesigning the contestants' work so that the show becomes Project Christian as it is his viewpoint that ends up being designed/shown.  Tim's comments forced the contestants to reconsider and rework their designs rather than redesigning it for them.

Especially since this is an "all star" season-these contestants should all know basics and create their own designs since they are, you know, "all stars."

• Like 11
On 6/22/2023 at 5:28 PM, dleighg said:

That seems like a "more upscale" red gingham than what alicia was wearing? Wasn't hers more the classic picnic tablecloth pattern?

Oh my, I'm wrong. It is definitely his

image.thumb.png.3e90e24bd26897460edb33c068d1ed88.png

I think it is his also but someone, her or her dresser, decided to cross the shoulder straps and that made it wonky for her breasts. Add in that she was kind of slouchy and scrunching her shoulders and yeah, those breasts were on scrunch away from flopping out. I might go on twitter and ask him about this...

I can't remember which designer it was but I liked the green dress. I am going to have to go back to my recording and watch again (I binged the first two eps last night from 1am until 3am, I was on a mountain vacation the first week). 

I am beyond tired of Brit (can't remember which way she spells it). She seems to be looking for a casting call for her own show or something. 

I hope Kora Saun is gone in the third episode when I watch. Or at least this coming weeks. I do not like her. She completely manipulated that model switch. I am going to look for the model choices scene again also. 

I did a binge of a lot of the past seasons when there was a dry spell during the shutdowns but I think I am still missing some of the seasons. I only started watching maybe in the last four years.

On 6/22/2023 at 10:05 PM, Kitty Redstone said:

He actually said the tissue was in the sleeve. Which is even more grandma.

• LOL 7
On 6/23/2023 at 12:40 PM, Ilovepie said:

I apologize since it is not on topic, but the clips of Michael made me miss him so much! I will never not laugh at "That crotch is insane!"

I feel like Brandon is there to bring the snark, but it's not the same. And I do miss Heidi too. OG cast was the best!

I appreciate Christian's style of critique a little more than Tim's because Christian is much more direct and often more collaborative than Tim. I feel like sometimes Tim would walk away and the designer was just as confused about how to fix the problem than with Christian who gets right to the point: "Why are you buying this fabric? Get out of this aisle!" I think being a designer vs. a teacher brings a different perspective, and Christian is much more willing to outright say how to fix something than Tim ever was.

I feel that Christian’s method isn’t really helping , it’s just saying “I don’t like this fabric” which is just saying what his preference is, not helping overall. Tim would say “I don’t see the judges responding well to these ruffles” or something specific that wasn’t just about his personal taste. I like Christian but I agree he is trying to get everyone to design like him .

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
14 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I feel that Christian’s method isn’t really helping , it’s just saying “I don’t like this fabric” which is just saying what his preference is, not helping overall. Tim would say “I don’t see the judges responding well to these ruffles” or something specific that wasn’t just about his personal taste. I like Christian but I agree he is trying to get everyone to design like him .

I see how people see it this way, they are apples and oranges. I guess I would respond better to someone saying "get rid of that ruffle" than "make it work" or "I'm puzzled". Sometimes I felt like the designers were also puzzled when he walked away with no direction on how to fix whatever was wrong. I did love Tim, but I respond better to Christian's style.

• Like 1