Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E14: Fin.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Sara had time to cut into 2 liver pieces.  I would have flung that puppy across the room into a fryer at that point!!!  Pretty much something would have been better than nothing…there was no time for the salamander.  I still want to try that cake!

THIS! I’d much rather try some kind of Hail Mary than send something out that is basically inedible. At least it would show that I tried.

I want a slice of that cake as well.

• Like 7
12 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Garden and Gun magazine!  That is all.  

I foolishly clicked on the link before considering the repercussions and the ads I'll now be seeing, but their recipe testers didn't even follow Sara's advice/instructions:

Bradley also utilizes both butter (to enhance the texture) and oil (to keep the cake moist).  Not the magazine though - butter only for them, because they obviously know best.

The key, though, is to not mix the batter too much. “Cake is the exact opposite of bread,” she says. “You don’t want it to develop gluten or it will be too dense and won’t rise.”   The photo show a flat, dense, unrisen, undercooked slice of nastiness.  Decorated with dehydrated peas, possibly because they look like BB pellets.

• Mind Blown 4
  • LOL 6
(edited)
17 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I did catch Tom C’s little comment to Buddha on the kitchen walkthrough that he probably wouldn’t be doing a third TC.  Not sure how we were supposed to take that but I took it as Buddha was already too good for this format.

Oh, I took it just as, he's competing a second time, back to back on top of that. I didn't see it as implying he's too good for TC or something like that. And Tom is not Buddha's biggest fan. I think Padma is.

I did notice the duck feet thing. He probably does have back or neck problemas, poor thing.

Reducing Buddha to only being technically proficient is unfair, I think (though it seemed to be the compliment he got the most from the guests). As someone upthread said, he is a kind of a culinary genius: makes flavorful, delicious food, is creative, has a ton of technique and is very precise in his plating. His dishes are so beautiful. They do look a bit fussy or old fashioned at times, I agree. But it's his thing, I guess.

I hope a lot of great opportunities come to Sara and Gabri. I love love love her, and Gabri is a sweetheart.

Oh and regarding Buddha's alleged sour face when someone gets a compliment: I don't think so! He has the same expression when people get compliments or are criticised. Maybe he has resting sour face. As a fellow resting sour faced person, I emphatize. We are not displeased! That's just our blank expression.

Edited by Norma Desmond
  • Like 8
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

One of my old magazine colleagues did some freelance for the group that owns Garden and Gun a few years ago. She grew up in Alabama, though, LOL. Anyway we had a good laugh about it. She was preparing bookazine reprints from their various publications. 

• Like 3

As for Sarah's raw liver it would have seemed to be the perfect candidate to be prepared sous vide - I am pretty sure I saw a pair of immersion circulators in the kitchen.  Just like the old Ron Popeil toaster oven - set it and forget it !

• Like 1

I actually think Buddha cooks with a lot of passion.  When he talked about wearing the Australian flag on Australia Day and being told by others that he wasn't Australian, he touched my heart and his persona fell into place for me.  His cooking is how he shows his passion.  He didn't "measure up" when he was young-he was 'different' and his school mates let him know so.  So, he doesn't show his vulnerability (that makes one too much of a target for bullies), but shows that he is enough through his accomplishments.  There are many of us who are just as vulnerable, just as passionate, as others, but we because we demonstrate it differently from others, we are judged as not being vulnerable or passionate.  When he shared that story, not only did I get it, but I related to it.  Buddha wore his passion differently from others, but it's there.

I also thought very differently about Tom in this episode.  The way Gabri really likes/loves him shows to me that Tom is far more than what the editors chose to show.

I thought this was a good episode and I, for one, am glad that Buddha won.  I want the best chef to win, and he did.

• Like 10
  • Applause 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, buttersister said:

As for the 70s plating, Buddha reminded me of a very old school restaurant in Chicago (Les Nomads), 4-star, expensive prix fixe, white table clothes, tuxedo'd waiters, formal French-style service (waiters remove the covers from plates in unison). Been there. Never needed to go back.

Sara knew the liver sank her. But not with as much certainty as Padma did. Felt that, Padma, for sure.

Ironically, the only time I went there was the first time I had sweet breads!  

My mother used to make hideous liver and onions until she gave up and we started buying canned liver pate.  We loved that stuff.  

I have so many feelings about this finale.  It will surprise no one that they center around Padma, Buddha, and Sara.  Huge audible sigh folks.

• Like 2
(edited)

I think that Buddha winning was the right outcome.  He is so skilled and consistent that there isn't the drama that seems to come to most of the contestants.  I would have been happy for Gabri to win though, just because I liked him the most and thought he had the most creativity.  I wouldn't want to eat grasshoppers though...

I never cared for Sara and her burgoo sounded disgusting.  She definitely shot herself in the foot when she didn't follow Amar's suggestion and check the liver.  That was a real boneheaded thing to do.

I didn't watch Top Chef for years following the Marcel disaster and only occasional seasons in the last few years.  I was annoyed with several of the competitions this season because it felt like the results are often unfair.  The team competitions don't seem fair and the language barrier was a handicap to those who weren't really fluent in English.  I'd planned to not watch the show again, but now I will be curious as to what they do without Padma.

Edited by Suzn
  • Like 5
(edited)
On 6/9/2023 at 4:33 PM, South said:

What are the chances that we will see food served on the backs of diners/judges hands next season?  It was beautifully done last night, but I can imagine endless, absurd possibilities.

It was a big wtf moment for me. Hands are often full of germs of the things you touch.It's just gross. And stupid. And gimmicky. And they were all oohhhh ahhhh-ing over it. I mean, they have no choice, I guess, but to do that even if they don't like it (the gimmick, not the food).

Edited by Norma Desmond
  • Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

I think the finale guest judge wanted to hire Gabri on the spot....bet he has lots of opportunities after this. 

Liver and onions was a dish my mom made for my dad while us kids ate pot pie and tried not to gag watching my dad eat. There are many food items I didn't like as a kid that I do now. Liver is not one of them. And cookie butter with liver? Whoo, boy, had to work hard not to barf at the idea. 

I once interned at a zoo and helped prepare meals for the animals. Involved lots of smaller critters being prepared for the larger critters and sometimes "stuffing bits and pieces" of animal X into animal Y to feed to animal Z. That was a zoo. It's not what I'd want to hear a chef saying as she prepared the meal of her life. 

That said, I'd have liked to try the pea cake. I would try to make one, but my wife was retching at the idea of pea cake, so guess not.

Padma tearing up got to me. She will be sorely missed.

I'm thrilled Buddha won. Don't give two craps whether he's sunshine and smiles and I don't think his ego is any more off putting than any other cheftestant. I'd rather have a chef's table at his restaurant than  a LOT of other beloved and far more hyped winners from this show. But I'm not there to chat with the chef. I'm there to eat a meal. And I'd be thrilled to see any of Buddha's plates arriving at my table. 

• Like 14
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Once again I wish this site did polls, like the old TWOP (Television Without Pity) used to.

My poll would be:

If offered grasshoppers and liver, what would you do?

1. Eat both happily
  2. Eat both cautiously/fearfully
  3. Eat just one happily (which one?)
  4. Eat one cautiously/fearfully (which one?)
  5. Run screaming from the room
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 9
(edited)

as mentioned above, I've eaten fried crickets, which I think are pretty much the same as the grasshoppers he used. They were salty crunchy, with no real flavor. Nothing to be scared of. Liver (other than chicken liver or liverwurst, both of which i like) is kind of gross, but I would at least taste it. My parents had liver and onions occasionally (we were not Jewish, but did hail from more or less eastern Europe a generation or two back). That was the ONLY meal that my brother and I got to eat something else. 

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 4

Moi as well, #5.  First, the liver has to be seasoned or . . . I don't know what the right word is, but you don't just eat straight-up liver.  It has to be off-set.  Otherwise it just tastes like blood/iron.  Second, I forgot - I thought Gabri gave them crickets.  That's fine.  But grasshoppers?  Short trip from a grasshopper to a locust.  Ew.

• Like 1

Heh, I turned up my nose at liver and onions as a kid. At some point, I came around and if the liver wasn't overcooked, and the onions were almost caramelized, it was tasty. See also: chopped liver ala Gramma. These days: not eating red meat or offal. Oh well. I won't be running all the QuickFires.

(edited)

I grew up in a liver-living household.

I was always happy when my mom made liver and onions.  And she and I fought over the liver when she made fried chicken (when I was a kid, you bought the whole chicken). 

I recently discovered that local chain Ezell's Famous Chicken has them on the menu - so on the rare occasion that someone is picking up carry-out for a family get-together, that's what I want.  

The first time I asked, my son forgot to order them. Last time, he really wanted to make up for it so he was sure to remember. Unfortunately, all that he remembered was that I liked some weird chicken parts. So he brought me – – gizzards!  A little too offal for me.

Edited by kirklandia
  • LOL 3
8 hours ago, kirklandia said:

I grew up in a liver-living household.

I was always happy when my mom made liver and onions.  And she and I fought over the liver when she made fried chicken (when I was a kid, you bought the whole chicken). 

I recently discovered that local chain Ezell's Famous Chicken has them on the menu - so on the rare occasion that someone is picking up carry-out for a family get-together, that's what I want.  

The first time I asked, my son forgot to order them. Last time, he really wanted to make up for it so he was sure to remember. Unfortunately, all that he remembered was that I liked some weird chicken parts. So he brought me – – gizzards!  A little too offal for me.

Any bits I don't want to eat, like the neck, just go in later with the carcass etc for chicken soup.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Any bits I don't want to eat, like the neck, just go in later with the carcass etc for chicken soup.

I love the chicken neck and heart!  No one else likes them so I eat them from the soup. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Leeds said:

Once again I wish this site did polls, like the old TWOP (Television Without Pity) used to.

My poll would be:

If offered grasshoppers and liver, what would you do?

1. Eat both happily
  2. Eat both cautiously/fearfully
  3. Eat just one happily (which one?)
  4. Eat one cautiously/fearfully (which one?)
  5. Run screaming from the room

Door #3.

I would eat the liver. BTW, Sara was on the right track; liver should not be "well-done," lest it metamorphose into shoe leather. 

Never any insect. 

• Like 2

After my darling Ali was eliminated, I was rooting for Sara. But serving raw liver is unforgivable. It's a bummer, because I think she would have taken the win. 

Buddha is an artful master, but I just couldn't get excited about the win. Probably, because he was still fresh in my mind from his original season. 

• Like 3

Gabri and German Tom's embrace as they convened to cook was precious. My favorite part of the whole show.

Buddha attempted to do something similar with Ali but it wasn't close to being heartfelt.

Gabri REALLY gets close to his food when he's cooking. Like, his eyes are about 4 inches away.

• Like 5
(edited)

I loved every second of this season.  I have watched Top Chef from season 1, episode 1 to today.  I enjoyed every season, most for very different reasons, but I have always looked forward to the new season.  This was the best season ever.  I loved seeing everyone's food from around the world, especially Africa and the Middle East.  My favorite chef this season was Sara, I love big bold flavors and I love her personality.  She has been one of my favs for a lone time.  If I am ever in neck of the woods I would drive hours out of my way to eat at her restaurant,  The only other chef that really touched my heart was Begona, from Spain.  I will research where her restaurant is and then try to find a season to go then eat everything on her menu.   Seriously.  

Edited by MarMar
  • Like 8
  • Love 4
On 6/10/2023 at 5:07 AM, dleighg said:

years ago I had fried crickets in a taco-like thing in Puerto Vallarta. They were basically crunchy-salty, which is what these grasshoppers looked like. But I think in addition to the pulverized grasshoppers, there were visible ones on the tostada or whatever it was.

My best friend and I bought a pouch of chili-lime crickets or ghoppers at a bodega in Queens about 30 years ago. We couldn’t believe what we had been living without.  We were so high.  I’ve had them a few times since and they are just crunchy with whichever flavor has been added.  I’d give anything, though, to relive that day in Queens.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I love the chicken neck and heart!  No one else likes them so I eat them from the soup. 

Like me, I suppose you know the whistling sound to be heard while standing over the kitchen sink, sucking the meatlets from the neck bones…bliss.

• Love 1
On 6/10/2023 at 10:18 AM, Msample said:

As for Sarah's raw liver it would have seemed to be the perfect candidate to be prepared sous vide - I am pretty sure I saw a pair of immersion circulators in the kitchen.  Just like the old Ron Popeil toaster oven - set it and forget it !

I don't have a sous vide machine, but your suggestion made be curious since from what little I know about them, cooking liver sous vide seems like it would be time- and labour-consuming, or incredibly unappetizing looking.  Sure enough, the couple of recipes I saw called for around 30 minutes in the machine, followed by dredging and pan frying, so it would have added another a step that could have gone wrong.

Chopped can keep Ted Allen. My niece had a scheduled interview for publication with him back in the day. He stood her up. Bye, Ted.

Also, he's super-connected to Chopped, show of gimmick cookery. I'd hate for TC to veer any more into that lane.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

Gabri REALLY gets close to his food when he's cooking. Like, his eyes are about 4 inches away.

I'm going to speculate he needs glasses. I used to do the same thing before I got my glasses. My former boss made fun of me for practically putting my nose on my computer screen. 

• Like 4
19 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

Gabri and German Tom's embrace as they convened to cook was precious. My favorite part of the whole show.

You could tell how close they'd gotten.

I also loved the little Tom greeting chorus that's been going on for a while - whenever Chef Tom and Judge Tom meet, they acknowledge each other with "Tom"

• Like 3
3 hours ago, buttersister said:

Chopped can keep Ted Allen. My niece had a scheduled interview for publication with him back in the day. He stood her up. Bye, Ted.

Also, he's super-connected to Chopped, show of gimmick cookery. I'd hate for TC to veer any more into that lane.

Is his name being bandied about?  I hope not; he's a sanctimonious little snot.

• Like 1
(edited)

Anybody who's inclined towards producer shenanigans and other monkey business might be interested to know that I just saw on a rerun of the first season of Project Runway that they had a disclaimer in the final credits stating "The judges considered both their scores and input from the Producers and Bravo in reaching their elimination decisions."  ie, the results were fixed.  I don't know how long the disclaimer was posted, or whether Top Chef ever had one, but . . . . food for thought. So to speak.

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 6/12/2023 at 5:04 AM, South said:
  On 6/10/2023 at 6:24 AM, ilovebeaarthur said:

I was curious about the pea cake and found Sara’s recipe: 

https://gardenandgun.com/recipe/a-sweet-spring-cake-with-a-surprising-secret/

Thanks for posting and reposting, @South  and @ilovebeaarthur (great name).

Here's my next question.  I make a lot of chicken stock or -- near the holidays -- turkey stock.  I heard Buddha using terms I didn't understand - when he set Ali to making lamb stock or jus?  Which sounded very successful.  What is the best way to make a powerful stock?  When I have time (not often), I roast bones and simmer for a long time.  But sometimes you cannot get good - what my Mom called "giblets" - necks, gizzards, livers, hearts.  

On 6/12/2023 at 6:39 PM, Leeds said:

Anybody who's inclined towards producer shenanigans and other monkey business might be interested to know that I just saw on a rerun of the first season of Project Runway that they had a disclaimer in the final credits stating "The judges considered both their scores and input from the Producers and Bravo in reaching their elimination decisions."  ie, the results were fixed.  I don't know how long the disclaimer was posted, or whether Top Chef ever had one, but . . . . food for thought. So to speak.

This has been discussed ad nauseum over the years, and the general concensus is that it's pretty much boilerplate. All the judges have said they haven't been influenced. Take that with however much salt you ned (i.e. salt to taste).

• Like 3
2 hours ago, carrps said:

This has been discussed ad nauseum over the years, and the general concensus is that it's pretty much boilerplate. All the judges have said they haven't been influenced. Take that with however much salt you ned (i.e. salt to taste).

Sorry, I didn't realize I was so late to the game.  I have read this thread pretty regularly for years and don't remember this being discussed before.  I didn't mean to bore anyone.

• Hugs 1

Finally watched the episode even though I spoiled myself beforehand. Just wasn't willing to let the season end, I guess! Anyway, no real surprises. Anyone inclined to read between the lines on the judging, especially from the guest judge, might come away thinking that Gabri never stood a chance. Probably Sara wasn't very close to Buddha, incredible dessert aside, but she did sound more in the running. But of course, Buddha won as we knew he would. With the same butterflies as last year. He deserves it! He's truly a great cook. But it was pretty predictable all the same.

I loved seeing the production crew at the end. That's something we haven't seen before outside of Lee Anne saying hi in the first all-stars cook-off episode (season 1 vs. season 2). It really was a nice look into what goes into creating this show. But I have to agree with the sentiment that it felt like a series finale. I hope it's not! Maybe it was just how they wanted to say goodbye to Padma. But it would be a solid way to wrap up the series if it's done. (Please don't be done.)

My only other note is that Ali knows how to position himself to get max camera time even when he's not competing and MAN, he's hot. That tan suit looked amazing on him. I hope if Top Chef does return, he will too as a judge sometime. Or compete again! I'd happily watch him again and again.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Leeds said:

Sorry, I didn't realize I was so late to the game.  I have read this thread pretty regularly for years and don't remember this being discussed before.  I didn't mean to bore anyone.

No biggie. Really! Didn't mean to sound like I was shaming you. It's just that I thought you might like a history. I can see I phrased it a little rougher than I intended. Mea culpa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 6/10/2023 at 12:33 AM, HappyDancex2 said:

Buddha’s food looks a lot like Eric Ripert (clutches pearls)….that whole fussy genre doesn’t make it for me anymore.  I’ve kicked Fancy Fussy Pants cuisine and modernist multi course upside down balloons lets eat nitro ice cream smashed right on the table cuisine to the back burner.  I guess I got tired of leaving the restaurant a whole lot lighter in cash but still craving a slice of pizza that might feel like a mouthful of food 😂

I think it's actually a testament to Buddha's incredible talent that someone that cooks "fancy fussy pants" French style food won 2 consecutive seasons of this show at a time when that kind of cuisine is not considered trendy or on point.  I remember recent past seasons of this show where food like that was treated as passé and uninspired.  For him to overcome all of that says a lot.

I've already compared the appearance of Buddha's food to Eric's.  Several hours after having Eric's tasting menu at around the midnight hour my group and I found ourselves somewhere else in Manhattan at a White Castle.  We had no regrets about Eric's food, it was amazing.  As was the White Castle, BTW, LOL. 😉

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 6/10/2023 at 3:46 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I think it would be a great prize in some kind of contest to sit at that judges’ table. I think what finally made me stop watching these shows was that I couldn’t taste the food. I got tired of just watching food. This finale reminded me that I should finally check out Marcus Samuelson’s Harlem restaurant. Years ago I once tried his Acquavit. 

Aquavit was always on my list but I somehow never got there when he was there.  I did go to Red Rooster about 5 years ago on my birthday and absolutely loved it, but thanks to the pandemic and other issues I haven't been back, unfortunately.  At least not yet!

• Useful 1
On 6/10/2023 at 7:24 AM, ilovebeaarthur said:

I was curious about the pea cake and found Sara’s recipe: 

https://gardenandgun.com/recipe/a-sweet-spring-cake-with-a-surprising-secret/

I made this cake last night (using half and half oil and butter, as it seems Sara does) and it was.... cake. Nothing to write home about. It tasted vaguely lemony and somewhat sweet. I don't know where the raves came from, unless this isn't actually what she made.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
On 6/9/2023 at 3:23 PM, Tess23 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I sensed a big lack of enthusiasm about Buddha's dishes overall from the judges - they loved the appearance of all four course and talked about how delicious they were, but I never did hear the 'oh my gosh, this is incredible.' Their comments regarding Buddha's food seemed slightly robotic.

I sensed that too, especially compared to how enthusiastic they were about his Tucson finale meal. It didn't sound like they emotionally connected to the food. That said, it's impossible to know if this is due to editing monkeys, what the judges chose to verbalize, or if they genuinely were less enthusiastic.

Tho IMO the first two courses got subdued reactions across the board. Great elements, but also flaws and no runaway winners. Things really picked up in courses 3 and 4 but until then the dinner seemed shaky.

On 6/9/2023 at 4:09 PM, barshi50 said:

Sara's dessert sounded delicious, but why did she serve just a couple of crumbles instead of a slice or a cube?

As she was tearing up the cake to put on plates, she said that's exactly how her mom does it!

On 6/10/2023 at 8:46 AM, Norma Desmond said:

Oh and regarding Buddha's alleged sour face when someone gets a compliment: I don't think so! He has the same expression when people get compliments or are criticised. Maybe he has resting sour face. As a fellow resting sour faced person, I emphatize. We are not displeased! That's just our blank expression.

I do think his resting face can be interpreted in ways that work against him and may not be fair. It's just his face. Also he has a way of tilting his head back and looking down that probably influences how people interpret him.

But because I identify a lot with him, I'll project another angle that could apply: When I get critical feedback or my competitor gets a rave review, I may look "off" because I'm in my head! I may even agree with the criticism and be happy for the competitor, but I'm frustrated with myself for not being perfect / the very best and thinking about how I could have done things better. In a competition I'm also wondering what the feedback means for where I stand -- every "best dish" comment that goes to someone else takes me farther from the win. They are tired, stressed, and competitive with a lot at stake. It's a lot to ask them to be vigilant about what their faces are saying at all times.

• Like 6