Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Digestif

• Start Topic

The girls experience an unusual hangover. Shauna learns the thrill of peer-to-peer car rentals. Natalie audits Lottie’s class in emotional apiology. Tai reflects, Misty hits the high seas, and you’ve never attended a baby shower like the one the Yellowjackets throw here.

Original air date: April 7, 2023 (streaming) / April 9, 2023 (Showtime)

• Like 1
(edited)

This episode: 50% scared the hell out of me, 50% broke my heart.  

Poor Ben. It's sad to think if he'd followed his heart, he'd be living a happy life with his partner rather than being on the verge of death due to starvation. And what the fuck, Travis? Ben's clearly not well and you don't examine him or call for help? Not cool, man.

Young Misty's Steel Magnolias monologue, omg. Only Misty would perform a scene about the loss of a daughter at a freaking baby shower. She's the Olympic Champion of psychopaths.

And speaking of which, that scene of Shauna holding the gun to the chop shop guy had me on the edge of my seat. She really wanted to kill him even when there was no threat. She's by far the most dangerous of the survivors.

Dumb ass Jeff and his toxic masculinity. He's lovable, but if you're trying to lead suspicion away from your wife, you don't go all gym bro on the detective and point out how badly his visit stressed her out. 

Are they setting up Lisa to be wilderness baby or was that chicken whacking scene random?

So Nat didn't land a kill and it doesn't seem like they're eating those birds. Once they've digested Jackie, they're back to square one. I wonder who's next? 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 15
(edited)

Nat is a respectful hunter, and thanked Jackie for them being able to eat. Also apologized. It seems like Shauna really enjoyed hunting people. I know that she didn't kill Jackie, but it was still a good thing to do. 

Poor coach. 

I thought Lottie was a vegan. But she allows the killing of animals for her cult. I don't know why I'm surprised, although I thought she had decided that what happened in the mountains, wasn't real. Would she really have let that girl hurt Natalie?

I hate that I was so amused by Misty and the citizen detective. She's a terrible liar, and he enjoyed smacking Randy. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 8
(edited)

I'm surprised teen Misty wasn't more concerned about Ben, given that she nursed him for so long.  Maybe she stopped caring once he said he wasn't interested in her.  Still, you'd think she'd want to try to keep him alive for pride's sake.

And teen Tai seemed to bounce back well after realizing she ate Jackie, but she might have just been in shock.

Overall, the teens seemed to deal with what they'd done via denial.  They focused on the baby shower, something their innocent former selves would have partaken in, to prevent thinking about the dark act they had just performed.

Other observations:

(No spoilers) Mari's hearing her own blood dripping, isn't she? 

Someone asked if Crystal was a figment of Misty's imagination.  She's definitely not, but she does have this slightly stilted delivery, like she's Misty's wise spirit animal.

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Like 4

This feels like filler; as if they were confirming that Shauna is still unhinged, Tai isn't any better and Misty is still strange. And Natalie is ...Natalie

The practical side of me thinks teen Shauna's nosebleed is due to an underlying medical condition that the pregnancy and starvation has brought out. The girls will see it as a sign. I'm still in the camp that thinks they need to tone down the supernatural elements. I like them, I just don't want this to turn into The X-files.

The Tori Amos song reminded me of great line from No Country For Old Men. "Can't stop what's coming. That's vanity." I think of that line whenever something unforeseen happens in my or my family's life. It's the other side of thinking we have control over our lives.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I was sort of mildly disappointed by the first 2 eps but I loved this one.

So much humor: Kevin inexplicably wearing a backwards baseball cap to the gym, literally everything with Jeff, that waitress quickly turning to walk away when Jeff said 'strawberry lube,' Travis noping out of Misty's monologue and then noping out on Ben going insane, everything with Misty/Elijah Wood/Randy. There's probably more.

Teen Shauna telling Lottie she's afraid because she doesn't know what's going to happen juxtaposed with adult Shauna saying she liked being with Adam because she didn't know what was going to happen. 😘

The genuine terror of the man with no eyes and just literally everything with Taissa. Her and Shauna are in a 'who is more insane' contest lol.

Teen Nat and adult Nat break my heart.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Teen Nat and adult Nat break my heart.

I loved it too! I'm glad I'm not the only one because I'm reading so many comments about how it was boring. I've always tended to favor character building over action though, so I'm a little biased. 

I enjoyed Ben's backstory and his (likely) death is going to be even more tragic now that we've seen his relationship with Paul. 

Elijah Wood is a brilliant addition to the cast, and I can't wait to see his character's quirks coupled with Misty's brand of crazy. 

Adult Nat semi-participating in group by donning the heliotrope shawl over her black blouse and leather pants was hysterical, like, "I think this is bullshit but I'm not a totally uncivilized outcast." It's the little styling and set details that really make this show. Another thing that I noticed during the shot of young Nat sitting on the porch was the cabin setting seemed darker and more ominous post-BBQ. The exterior looked more rundown and was giving horror movie vibes. I wonder if that was intentional or whether I'm imagining things. 

• Like 10
17 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Poor Ben. It's sad to think if he'd followed his heart, he'd be living a happy life with his partner rather than being on the verge of death due to starvation. And what the fuck, Travis? Ben's clearly not well and you don't examine him or call for help? Not cool, man.

Call who?

I'm really liking Travis this season. He's developed a much softer affect with his new outlook.

Just now, BitterApple said:

I loved it too! I'm glad I'm not the only one because I'm reading so many comments about how it was boring. I've always tended to favor character building over action though, so I'm a little biased. 

I loved it too--and it didn't seem like nothing happened to me. Seemed more like building things up. Lottie's vision of blood and hearing her own voice whispering about what "he" wants (or it wants) is a great crack in her facade. And of course Tai giving herself the message to go to Van. 

Love that Randy basically gave Jeff away without even being questioned about him, much like Jeff did to Kevin. Though I suspect if Kevin talks to her he'll see Jeff was just spinning a story to make himself feel more manly. 

Re: Lisa, I'm hoping she's just like Adam, a rando who had the misfortune of running into the YJs. There's nothing about her that would make a good wilderness baby, starting with the casting.

I don't know whether the idea here is really that Shauna liked hunting people. I think it's more just feeling powerful and alive in that environment. I mean, if she really just liked killing she'd probably be a serial killer, but this felt more like her just reacting to a situation where someone was fucking with her and she got to help them find out.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

What if Coach Ben had chosen love?

Walter calling himself the Moriarty to Misty’s Sherlock was for some of the most hilarious stuff I’ve ever heard. 

Shauna threatening the carjacker guy was straight up scary because you half thought  she actually did want to shoot the dude.  Loved her Monologue about how hard it is to peel the skin off of someone..

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 12

It seems like there's a bit of a shadow over Mari. Her line about hearing things dripping seems important and she made the baby something uncomfortably like the spears in the pit (or the sword of Damocles).

And I liked the surprise twist of Misty's monologue being compelling. They could have gone the obvious "outcast gets laughed at" route but they didn't.

• Like 8
(edited)

I think some of the people who didn’t like the episode, are the ones who just want to see them being brutal. They got the cannibalism, so baby showers and facing down carjackers, isn’t cutting it. Misty found a friend, and isn’t obsessed with coach anymore, so no doing whatever they hoped she would do, fatal attraction style.  

I can’t remember who mentioned the leather trousers, but I cringe whenever I see Nat wearing them, because they don’t look like they would be that comfortable.  

Edited by Anela
  • Like 5
13 minutes ago, Anela said:

I think some of the people who didn’t like the episode, are the ones who just want to see them being brutal. They got the cannibalism, so baby showers and facing down carjackers, isn’t cutting it. Misty found a friend, and isn’t obsessed with coach anymore, so no doing whatever they hoped she would do, fatal attraction style.  

You eat you are not hungry anymore.  So everyone is back to taking care of their other needs.  Shauna’s baby is a good distraction.   Eventually though if Nat and Travis can’t find food they will get hungry again and the brutality will get notched up again.

• Like 7
13 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

You eat you are not hungry anymore.  So everyone is back to taking care of their other needs.  Shauna’s baby is a good distraction.   Eventually though if Nat and Travis can’t find food they will get hungry again and the brutality will get notched up again.

Exactly.  That’s what I’m saying.  Some people seem to want non-stop crazy.  

• Like 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Exactly ^ this episode to me felt more like the show I loved back in season 1

Travis is still disappointing I think, how can someone be so clueless? It’s clear Ben is slowly wasting away but he’s just…..”okay man”

I have a feeling his skin is who adult Shauna was referring to

I liked how last episode they sprinkled the Tai mirror stuff and tonight full blown showed us- so who is the other “she”? I’m thinking possibly the grandmother 

Hard to say who is more dangerous - Tai or Shauna

But my prediction is once Kevyn and the police have what they need to arrest Shauna, Jeff will do a false confession to save her, unless Misty and her BFF somehow plant fake evidence pointing it to someone else-

Edited by snickers
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, snickers said:

Travis is still disappointing I think, how can someone be so clueless? It’s clear Ben is slowly wasting away but he’s just…..”okay man”

Seems like he's a natural level of clueless for a teenager dealing with an adult who's not sick, but seems depressed. He asked if he was okay and had little else to offer, especially since he was one of the cannibals. But I think Ben's going to rally and start fighting to live.

8 minutes ago, Niuxita said:

What was Evil Tai in the Mirror mouthing to Our Tai? I can't read lips, and there was no CC. 

"Go to her." Meaning Van.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Niuxita said:

What was Evil Tai in the Mirror mouthing to Our Tai? I can't read lips, and there was no CC. 

Looked like "Go to her," and then she held up her hands to simulate Van's scar placement.

• Like 1
  • Useful 7
12 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Seems like he's a natural level of clueless for a teenager dealing with an adult who's not sick, but seems depressed. He asked if he was okay and had little else to offer, especially since he was one of the cannibals. But I think Ben's going to rally and start fighting to live.

I think he's dying and will next be seen as Ben's All You Can Eat Buffet.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 7
(edited)
27 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

12 minutes ago, maystone said:

To be fair, he could do both!

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I wonder if any of the meat was stored.  It looked like Jackie's corpse had an awful lot despite Jackie herself having been rather thin.  Even though there were a lot of girls, I can't see them being able to consume the corpse in one meal, with their stomachs shrunken from lack of food.

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

I wonder if any of the meat was stored.  It looked like Jackie's corpse had an awful lot despite Jackie herself having been rather thin.  Even though there were a lot of girls, I can't see them being able to consume the corpse in one meal, with their stomachs shrunken from lack of food.

I thought Crystal or Misty wanted to use the rest of her to make broth/soup, but were told "no". Ugh, just typing that made me feel sick. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 4
10 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

But I think Ben's going to rally and start fighting to live.

Oooh, I think I'd like that. Although, it'd make his inevitable death even more sad really. 

28 minutes ago, Anela said:

I thought Crystal or Misty wanted to use the rest of her to make broth/soup, but were told "no". 

Yep. Which, honestly, wasn't a bad idea lol.

• Like 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Neither was keeping her clothing!

Someone pointed out on the subReddit that Shauna's hissy fit over the clothing likely wasn't coming from a place of protectiveness, but because removing the jacket would reveal the nice chunk Shauna sliced out of Jackie's arm. I can't believe I didn't pick up on that before. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 7
  • Useful 6

The baby shower was a good idea, Misty's gift monologue of Sally Field's Steel Magnolia's M'lynn was brilliant! The subject was an interesting choice but Misty knocked it out of the park!

What do we make of the birds mass suicide by flying in to the windows of the cabin?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

What do we make of the birds mass suicide by flying in to the windows of the cabin?

That the gods of dirt and sky really really liked the monologue too! Especially the god of sky.

• LOL 5
12 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

I don't want it to go supernatural, so I'm kind of hoping we'll find out the lake water or something is responsible for some of the things they see/hear/do.

Maybe iron in the water.

• Like 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Someone pointed out on the subReddit that Shauna's hissy fit over the clothing likely wasn't coming from a place of protectiveness, but because removing the jacket would reveal the nice chunk Shauna sliced out of Jackie's arm. I can't believe I didn't pick up on that before. 

I thought she cut her arm, I didn't see her cut a chunk out. Ew. I must have looked away. 

3 hours ago, threebluestars said:

I don't want it to go supernatural, so I'm kind of hoping we'll find out the lake water or something is responsible for some of the things they see/hear/do.

I don't think I want it to be supernatural, either. I love spooky things, I'm a person who wants there to be an afterlife. I know how belief in certain things, can make you feel like you have some control over things, or protection, until you're reminded that you don't. 

When I started watching, I wasn't expecting anything supernatural. I was exhausted, looking after my dog who couldn't walk, not in the mood for Christmas, and saw people raving about it, so I binge-watched it over two or three days. I thought it was supposed to be Lord of the Flies, with girls, and the aftermath. I realized why the wild speculations were bothering me so much, but I can't talk about that here (real life politics). 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 7

Even minus the one leg he has an awful lot more edible muscle mass than Jackie did- he would be the one to provide them a few extra helpings later on.

It's easy to forget that these are high school kids. No boy that age is going to notice signs of illness in a person that already spends the bulk of their time lying down and withdrawn.

I do think Ben will be the next to go and call me evil but I'm looking forward to seeing their mouths automatically watering when the realization of the size of their next meal first hits them. How they play that is going to be FUN!

• Like 4
On 4/8/2023 at 2:39 AM, Brn2bwild said:

The cook in me weirdly finds herself calculating: 1/2 to 1 pound per person, more because there are no side dishes, Jackie weighs maybe 115 lbs, between how many survivors….

This show makes me think sick thoughts.  Back to preparing Easter dinner now!

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8

Really fun episode, that felt much better edited in the present/past transitions, which makes sense since it slowed down and delved into how these characters were dealing with various plot bombs past and present. Loved Misty and Walter's Cyrano Bad Cop interrogation of Randy, and the way Misty manipulated Walter into finding the bug her bonnet (what happened to Natalie) instead of figuring out Shauna killed Adam. It will be really fun when he hooks up with Lottie and Nat at Heliotrope Cult, and now I just realized the purple could be connected to Purple People Eater. LOL. 

I think for sure that Tai inherited some kind of 'traveler' and would love it if it's some kind of literal ancestral spirit guide, that passed from Grandma to her, and only really "takes" over when she's in danger from the no eyed man, aka death/danger. Doesn't explain why that guide would walk her off a cliff, but it's clear spirit guide can only take over when Tai is unconscious and thus has no awareness of the physical world they are walking through? That could explain why they had her sacrifice Biscuit to whatever told Lottie it wants blood, again in the present.

I know I'm supposed to be freaked out by Shauna scaring the shit out of the chop shop guy, but he was such a patronizing ass, eh good for her. 

I think we saw the first evidence of a schism, which obviously we already knew about, but it seems like more of the survivors buy into Lottie and he who needs blood than don't, which explains why Nat/Shauna/Tai are more reliant on each other in the present. I wonder if Misty being Misty changed sides at some point.

More Rosemary's Baby's vibes this episode with the shower and Lottie's being convinced it's a he. A he who wants blood. Hail Satan!

I can't imagine Coach is going to kick it too soon, and I'm still wondering when they cross the eating someone who died line to hunting and killing friends. I wonder if they will "mercy kill" him, and still feel okay about it, that is the next step on the path to that eventual hunt/kill/sacrifice.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Trillian said:

The cook in me weirdly finds herself calculating: 1/2 to 1 pound per person, more because there are no side dishes, Jackie weighs maybe 115 lbs, between how many survivors….

This show makes me think sick thoughts.  Back to preparing Easter dinner now!

Lulz! This is so funny because I was just having a discussion with someone on the subReddit about the best way to conceal all the remains when the rescue and forensics teams eventually show up. These boards are such a safe space for those of us who love the macabre. Happy Easter everyone!!! 😅💕🐰

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Pestilentia said:

Even minus the one leg he has an awful lot more edible muscle mass than Jackie did- he would be the one to provide them a few extra helpings later on.

It's easy to forget that these are high school kids. No boy that age is going to notice signs of illness in a person that already spends the bulk of their time lying down and withdrawn.

I do think Ben will be the next to go and call me evil but I'm looking forward to seeing their mouths automatically watering when the realization of the size of their next meal first hits them. How they play that is going to be FUN!

Unfortunately, I don’t see him surviving until the rescue but I don’t think he’ll be the next one to be eaten. This is still only season 2.

I wonder if the waitress ever came back at all after she awesomely turned on her heel.

I winced at Van's "You ate her face." Not the best thing to say to Tai! But since she said it, well, we may as well go ahead and get gross here: Does that mean Tai, who has the eyeless motif going on, ate Jackie's eyes?

My ears perked up at Ben's comment about burying what was left of Jackie's body with the plane crash victims making it look like Jackie died with them. It's been a theory of mine since S1 that the survivors gave out a story that everyone who died, died in the plane crash. It's the simplest story. It's not the most believable, which might explain why people have questioned it for 24 years, but it's the easiest to stick to without getting tripped up.

It was chilling to see how what was left of Jackie fit into that relatively small backpack of Natalie's.

We already know the showrunners watched The Challenge, because they picked that clip from it for the season premiere. That means they most likely watched Real World too, which makes me wonder if giving Ben's boyfriend the name Paul is a nod to Real World: New Orleans.

Interesting that Walter chose Moriarty and Sherlock for what he and Misty might be, because those two were enemies, and I'm sure Misty is aware of that. Saying that threw a wrench into their bonding, which surely Walter must have known would do.

Tai tried to call Jessica Roberts, so it looks like we're getting back to that and Tai should be learning Jessica's dead soon. Misty is still sitting on the information that Tai hired Jessica to investigate the survivors.

I'm not sure what's going on with Mari hearing dripping noises. Is it related to some unknown person pooping in the pee bucket, or not?

• Like 8

But they buried the people who died on the plane, didn't they? And left Jackie's bones in a bag, on the plane. Unless they went back to bury her bones, when the snow melted, I don't know why people wouldn't be asking why her bones were in a bag (and the remains of the others, if they do hunt each other). 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Anela said:

But they buried the people who died on the plane, didn't they? And left Jackie's bones in a bag, on the plane. Unless they went back to bury her bones, when the snow melted, I don't know why people wouldn't be asking why her bones were in a bag (and the remains of the others, if they do hunt each other). 

Yea, Natalie said she was going to bury it once the ground wasn't frozen anymore.

• Like 2

And in the meantime, Jackie's bones had to go somewhere and it was obviously better for everyone psychologically and emotionally if the bones were no longer at the site of the cabin. Nobody wants to run the risk of Shauna talking to Jackie's skeleton all day! 😇

• LOL 10

I'm not sure i like the whole supernatural aspect of this case..  what's wrong with just a story about the crash, survival with cannibalism, trauma and the aftermath.  ok, sure Lotty may have hallucinations and perhaps Tai too (having a psychotic break), but i don't need Natalie seeing a spirit moose, and suddenly dying birds.  i don't need another Lost.

• Like 13
  • Applause 6
48 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I'm not sure i like the whole supernatural aspect of this case..  what's wrong with just a story about the crash, survival with cannibalism, trauma and the aftermath.  ok, sure Lotty may have hallucinations and perhaps Tai too (having a psychotic break), but i don't need Natalie seeing a spirit moose, and suddenly dying birds.  i don't need another Lost.

It's not Lost, imo. The possible supernatural stuff is how they're processing their situation together and, like people in the past, seeing mystical meaning in the world around them. Laura Lee started the series seeing God's hand in everything, but that wasn't supposed to be supernatural. Natalie's moose might have been real--but even she, under stress, would have reason to imagine things.They have little to do all day but be hungry and it must be dark most of the time.

Lost was a sci-fi puzzlebox show. YJ is folk horror with unreliable narrators under stress. Even Coach in this ep was seeing things--but they all bring their own selves to what they're seeing. Spiritualilty seems like a natural thing to happen, especially given the ages of everyone imo. They're looking for meaning and feeding off each other.

That just made me think, too, about Crystal saying she likes to think she's channeling her twin when she's onstage. This stuff was always there in them.

• Like 9

Yeah, I think a lot of it can be put down to, if you wish (and I do wish), the old "seeing mirages in the desert" thing. Coach Ben didn't partake of Jackie, so he's still starving, and he was upset by the cannibalism, so mentally retreating into a happy place makes sense.

And we were given a non-supernatural explanation, courtesy of Misty, for the birds. We know from the malfunctioning compass and red river last season that there's iron, so it's entirely possible. The show has done a good job of making sure you can read things either way.

The present timeline has a lot less of the could-it-be-supernatural? stuff and that's probably not an accident; they're not starving in the present. Lottie is having her visions, but if she's not taking medication anymore, that's a rational explanation. Shauna understands Jackie is a manifestation of her own mind, not a real spirit. Nor is there any particular reason to think that Tai won her election because she sacrificed her dog. Politics is like sports in that sense; it's why you play the games, it's why you hold the elections. Upsets happen.

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I assume there is some kind of logical explanation for the birds, and like everyone else Natalie is suffering from severe trauma, so I don’t see either as “supernatural.” Hang in there!

• Like 5