Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Digestif

• Start Topic

Poor Ben, if only he had just gone back to his boyfriend instead of going on the plane. Now he's probably going to waste away in this increasingly creepy cabin and is going to become a Ben Brunch. I feel like he's going to be the next to die and as the last adult he's the latest cut to their connections to civilization and their regular lives.

The comments about putting Jackie with the rest of the bodies by the plane makes me wonder if they just simplified the story and said that most everyone died in the crash. I don't know if anyone has ever publicly confirmed that they survived by eating bodies, although that's obviously what everyone assumes, they could have left all of that out, especially if things get significantly grislier. 

Misty doing a monologue about someone's daughter dying at a baby shower is the most Misty thing ever. Elijah Wood has been a great addition so far, he really works well off of Misty's bonkers energy. 

Jeff's idea for adding more spice to his marriage being a sexy trip to Colonial Williamsburg to churn butter is possibly my favorite thing that has happened on the season so far. Shauna pulling a guy on the chop shop guy was ridiculously intense, although the guy was such a condescending dick that it was hard not to cheer her on just a little bit. It really does seem she took the woods with her, maybe more than anyone. That's where she really thrived. 

Tai and Shauna are really in a "who can be the craziest" contest, with Tai and her split personality in the lead. 

With regards to the supernatural, I tend to think that they will keep it ambiguous as to what was something magical or if there is a logical, if creepy, explanation for everything. Is Lottie psychic or mentally ill? Are the survivors actually seeing and hearing magical things, or are they just starting to mentally break?  

• Like 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I don't know if anyone has ever publicly confirmed that they survived by eating bodies, although that's obviously what everyone assumes, they could have left all of that out, especially if things get significantly grislier. 

I think it's been established that the survivors never admitted to cannibalism. In the pilot, Shauna told Jessica Roberts that they starved and scavenged and prayed. Tai echoed that, minus the "prayed" part, to the donor she was trying to get in good with. And Jessica Roberts asked Misty if they ate each other, and Misty wouldn't answer.

It's so interesting that the idea to start lying about who died when and how originated with Ben. He didn't participate in eating Jackie. But I think he was worried about how the way she died would make them look, particularly him as the adult in the group. It would be reasonable for Jackie's parents to criticize him for not going out and bringing her back in where it was safe. They didn't know it was going to drop to freezing temperatures that night, but with wild animals in the area it wasn't safe for Jackie to sleep outside. It wasn't all that long after a sleeping Van had been attacked by a wolf as the group slept by a fire. So the idea of the adult not stepping in when the teenage girls got into a fight and one went outside for the night wouldn't go over well. We saw how Ben had lost all his authority by that point in the season, but it would be very hard to explain that to people who weren't there and didn't see it.

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

It's so interesting that the idea to start lying about who died when and how originated with Ben. He didn't participate in eating Jackie. But I think he was worried about how the way she died would make them look, particularly him as the adult in the group. 

I wonder if it was also a little bit of a dig, like he was telling her to cover up their crime, in which he didn't participate. It was subtly putting in the way other people would see it and tell her that if they did things like that they would need to also cover for it, if that makes sense.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Like 10
4 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I wonder if it was also a little bit of a dig, like he was telling her to cover up their crime, in which he didn't participate. It was subtly putting in the way other people would see it and tell her that if they did things like that they would need to also cover for it, if that makes sense.

This is exactly how I heard it. The moment he said it, I yelled out “yes!” (While watching all alone in my bedroom, lol.)

• Like 4

I agree with sistermagpie that it works on both levels. The overt reference was to covering up the manner of Jackie's death, which was two months prior and completely unrelated to the cannibalism. It allows Ben some plausible deniability should any of the girls take offense to the subtextual reference to the cannibalism, i.e. you probably don't want people to learn you ate a dead teammate's body.

Primetimer put up a good analysis of Misty's monologue. It's been many years since I last saw the movie, so while I remembered the gist of the scene I didn't realize just how accurate Misty's recreation was.

• Like 3

If there is a hatch somewhere in the wilderness, so help me God ...

I don't know if the trailer for this week is spoiler territory so,

Spoiler

It occurs to me that the brief glimpse of someone climbing down to what appears to be an underground area is where Van lives. Lots of former nuclear bunkers for sale. I saw a vid on one community and you have to be per-approved to live there.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, MBayGal said:

Several comments have mentioned the iron in the area. What is the significance of the iron?

The iron is a non-supernatural explanation for last season's incidents of the wonky compass and red river, and the birds in this episode. Iron messes with magnetism.

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, MBayGal said:

Several comments have mentioned the iron in the area. What is the significance of the iron?

Could be a reason for some of the animals’ illnesses. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I tried to like the supernatural stuff, but I just can’t. Adult Misty is the most interesting, in my opinion. I like the adult Taissa actress, but I hate her storyline.

Elijah reminded me, in the post-show behind-the-scenes, that he worked with Ricci in The Ice Storm.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Like 7
3 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I tried to like the supernatural stuff, but I just can’t. Adult Misty is the most interesting, in my opinion. I like the adult Taissa actress, but I hate her storyline.

Elijah reminded me that he worked with Ricci in The Ice Storm.

One of my all-time favorite movies!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Man it’s been soooo long since I’ve seen the ice storm … I need to rewatch but I remember I liked it 

I know he wasn’t in this episode but I forgot to mention… I’m 💯 a cat person, and I always said if I ever owned a dog I wanted a big dog, but Steve the puppy has changed my mind… he’s too precious 😆is he a yorkie ? I want, I want but I don’t think my cats will take too well to a small dog 🤣

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1