Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E13: Cowgirls Don’t Cry

• Start Topic

A bull rider shows up at Grey Sloan with severe injuries, forcing Maggie, Amelia, Owen and Blue to examine their own biases. Elsewhere, Simone can’t find anyone to be her maid of honor, and Mika takes drastic measures to pay down her student debt.

Airdate: April 6, 2023

It wasn’t mentioned, but Winston must be stewing over Maggie and all of her opportunities when he, as one of her six assistants, isn’t getting any….and I don’t mean in a jealous way, but just that it is another sign of Maggie’s dismissiveness of him.  She really has no empathy.   She may even be right about him protecting himself, but she has also given him plenty of reason and not done anything to reassure him.   

And damn this show is getting so preachy.  Even though I am 109% pro choice and pro animal rights, it seems like we are getting lectured every week.  

So, glasses got dumped.  And he is acting like a jerk to the interns.  

As for Teddy….I will never understand why a good surgeon takes on a primarily admin role which takes away from their time in the operating room.   And then the complain about not having enough surgeons.    Which is exacerbated by Jo playing hooky and Linc taking a day off to hang with her.  

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

It's been at least weeks or even months in Grey's-world since that football player Linc operated on died in surgery and Linc is still persona non-grata in Seattle and having surgeries cancelled? Was Tank a Tom Brady/LeBron James generational sports talent or what?

• Like 5
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

It's been at least weeks or even months in Grey's-world since that football player Linc operated on died in surgery and Linc is still persona non-grata in Seattle and having surgeries cancelled? Was Tank a Tom Brady/LeBron James generational sports talent or what?

With his size, he was either an offensive lineman or defensive lineman.  The former kinda go unnoticed by most fans (maybe during a game, an announcer will point out a key block that enabled a running back/wide receiver/tight end to get a large yardage gain).  The defensive lineman get more notoriety, mostly due to quarterback sacks.

• Like 3

I hope Winston doesn't follow Maggie to Chicago. I'd like to see where they go with him staying at Grey-Sloan. He and Nick have a lot in common with following the sisters to Seattle, but Meredith/Maggie always valued their career over Nick/Winston. Would be nice to have a bromance on the show again and get some more social scenes outside the hospital!

Glasses bringing the interns out for drinks was so weird. It would have been like Bailey bringing out MAGIC in S1/S2. It just wouldn't have happened. They have no idea what to do with him now that he's the only resident left. Helm holds down the Joe's/outside the hospital world, which I like. Jo has moved up into the attending level group. So Glasses is left floundering. Maybe he'll take a cue from his latest fling and become a traveling doctor so we don't have to deal with him every episode.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, shantown said:

Glasses bringing the interns out for drinks was so weird. It would have been like Bailey bringing out MAGIC in S1/S2. It just wouldn't have happened. They have no idea what to do with him now that he's the only resident left.

Bailey was a well thought out character played by a very charismatic actor.  I can't imagine Glasses giving the interns his version of the 5 rules.  Bailey felt suited to a position of authority, while Glasses feels like the kind of person who has failed upward.  

On the positive side, I recognized the patient who didn't want care because of insurance problems as being Mrs. (Utz) from Mad Men.  She was the woman terrorized by Jimmy Barrett during the second season of the show whom he was forced to apologize to, so that was a nice moment. 

• Like 8

Maggie is awful. She always has been. Her last speech towards Winston was just garbage. These two never should've gotten married. I found myself remembering how Linc proposed to Amelia at Maggie & Winston's wedding and that's when they broke up. I'm glad this misery is over though. How long have they been married? They got married during the pandemic, correct? Then spent most of their marriage taking care of raising Meredith's kids.

Simone asking various coworkers to be her maid of honor was just sad and ridiculous.

Schmidt as Chief Resident will never work for me. Never.

• Like 9
  • Applause 4

I guess it easier to divide this into Good & Bad.

The Good:

• Simone & Luka searching for the answer to that guys pain.
  • Masuka advocating for the under insured patient.
  • Masuka chatting with Helms at the bar.
  • Jo & Linc's day off together

The Bad:

• Winston & Maggie fighting.
  • Levi mooning over what he knew was going to be a short term romance.

I feels like the nurse fling was just to show us that Levi has truly moved on from Nico this time. If that was the case, I wish they had brought back the hot research guy who flirted with him when he was doing the vaccine trials. When Maggie first came to the show I liked her. I really liked her and Winston together. I really dislike how the writers decided the only way to break up characters is to make one immensely dislikable. What really annoys me is how the writers have taken all the B plots of the Covid Meredith is on the beach season and completely destroyed them.  Maggie & Winston, Linc & Amelia, Levi & Nico all seem to align and come together.  Even accepting that the writers find more reward in tearing couples' apart, I still wish they would give the new interns something more to do. This week was a little bit of an improvement, but could have been better. I guess we're now in the part of the season where they're just setting things up for the finale.

• Like 9
6 hours ago, marceline said:

Maggie is awful. She always has been. Her last speech towards Winston was just garbage. These two never should've gotten married. I found myself remembering how Linc proposed to Amelia at Maggie & Winston's wedding and that's when they broke up. I'm glad this misery is over though. How long have they been married? They got married during the pandemic, correct? Then spent most of their marriage taking care of raising Meredith's kids.

Simone asking various coworkers to be her maid of honor was just sad and ridiculous.

Schmidt as Chief Resident will never work for me. Never.

Agree that Maggie's argument toward Winston was garbage. Then again, he was quite harsh toward her in the therapy session. It just doesn't feel like there's love between them any more

And the ending in the garage was just chilling.

• Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, MarylandGirl said:

Agree that Maggie's argument toward Winston was garbage. Then again, he was quite harsh toward her in the therapy session. It just doesn't feel like there's love between them any more

I was annoyed by Maggie's attitude when she said she was on trauma call. Apparently she didn't bother to let him (or the therapist) know that before starting the session. If you know there's a chance you could be called, it's just common decency to let the person you have an appointment with know that before you start. Don't get all pissy when they get annoyed at you for checking your phone. I don't think it's unreasonable for Winston to have expected her to be focusing on their session when he didn't actually know she was on call.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 10
  • Applause 3
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was annoyed by Maggie's attitude when she said she was on trauma call. Apparently she didn't bother to let him (or the therapist) know that before starting the session. If you know there's a chance you could be called, it's just common decency to let the person you have an appointment with know that before you start. Don't get all pissy when they get annoyed at you for checking your phone. I don't think it's unreasonable for Winston to have expected her to be focusing on their session when he didn't actually know she was on call.

That's a good point, that she should have alerted both Winston and the therapist. I guess I meant more that he seemed to have nothing good to say about her, in terms of being harsh.

I do wonder if he'll stay on the show after Maggie heads to Chicago (assuming she does, but it sounded pretty final in that last scene). It would be interesting to see what his character is like without her around. Maybe he can find a partner who actually respects him for who he is. Or he could be happy alone for a bit.

• Like 3

Wow. Two days since this episode aired and only ten comments. How far this show has fallen.

Why was Amelia doing spinal surgery? Isn't she a neurosurgeon?

Are they writing Maggie off?

• Like 3

The spinal chord is where the nerves are so it makes sense for Amelia to be doing it.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Wow. Two days since this episode aired and only ten comments. How far this show has fallen.

Yeah. A big difference. There's more energy into the hate than the love.

For me, even with the new interns, it seems hollow and repetitive.  The last relationship I cared about was Linc/Amelia and they destroyed that for one very boring relationship and one entirely predictable one. The only newbies that I'm interested in are Luka and Masuka; giving Simone a fiance so early in her appearance makes me not care about her and why does Millin have the maturity of an 11 year old?  Everything feels old and tired and Meredith's monologues have become so ridiculous, I mute them now.

ABC will probably think that any drop in viewership is due to Ellen leaving but for me but that's not the reason I'm bored.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

For me, even with the new interns, it seems hollow and repetitive.  The last relationship I cared about was Linc/Amelia and they destroyed that for one very boring relationship and one entirely predictable one. The only newbies that I'm interested in are Luka and Masuka; giving Simone a fiance so early in her appearance makes me not care about her and why does Millin have the maturity of an 11 year old?  Everything feels old and tired and Meredith's monologues have become so ridiculous, I mute them now.

It never won't annoy me that they sledgehammered Linc/Amelia for no real reason except to force Link/Jo together and then find someone for Amelia. Was it really only because they didn't know what to do with Camilla/Jo after Justin/Alex's abrupt departure? 

Lucas' main point of interest is that he's a Shepherd nephew but aside from his early scenes with Amelia they don't play that beat often. His other interns didn't care when he told them, and we don't know which sister is his mother. I wonder if TPTB even knew. 

• Like 8

Jo was my least favorite of her intern group. Calling Stephanie a liar and the DeLuca and Chest Peckwell of it all didn't help, either. She was okay enough this episode though. 

Surely Winston remembers what he use to like about Maggie. But the last time she seemed likeable might have been when she was talking about Simone about what happened at her first residency. She criticized the way Winston heats up water. Basically, she somewhat respects Winston as a doctor but doesn't at all respect him as a person. 

The Shepherd thing was mentioned/referred to a couple of times in this episode. Masuka called Lucas a silver spoon nepo something or other during that conversation about Lucas getting left at home when Masuka and Simone left for work. Richard mentioned being saved by a Shepherd. Mr. Adams, Lucas' Bahamian dad who married the Connecticut Shepherd sister might be more interesting. 

Simone's grandmother interacted with Lucas. If she sees him again as part of his man of honor duties and/or at the wedding, she may say something that pushes them together.

• Like 4

Is Jo even a surgeon anymore?  I don't remember if she's been involved in any medical stuff this season.  Maybe she has, but my impression of her is she has been a mope for multiple seasons with no joy or energy whatsoever and is barely even a doctor, much less an interesting one.

On 4/8/2023 at 2:45 PM, LexieLily said:

It never won't annoy me that they sledgehammered Linc/Amelia for no real reason except to force Link/Jo together and then find someone for Amelia. Was it really only because they didn't know what to do with Camilla/Jo after Justin/Alex's abrupt departure? 

22 hours ago, Rae Spellman said:

Jo was my least favorite of her intern group. Calling Stephanie a liar and the DeLuca and Chest Peckwell of it all didn't help, either.

I feel that same way, and I will never like her and Linc together, never.

On 4/8/2023 at 8:33 AM, MarylandGirl said:

I do wonder if he'll stay on the show after Maggie heads to Chicago (assuming she does, but it sounded pretty final in that last scene). It would be interesting to see what his character is like without her around.

I, too, would like to see Winston made a full character without Maggie.  I couldn't believe when she told him it wasn't that she didn't respect him for switching specialties for the sake of their marriage, but that she thought he was a coward and that's why she didn't respect him.  Wow, way to make things even worse, Maggie.  I also couldn't believe she was claiming she was trying to save their marriage but Winston wasn't and "wasn't there."  We've been watching this show, Maggie, and you are a cold, absent partner and always have been.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

• Like 11
5 hours ago, izabella said:

Is Jo even a surgeon anymore?  I don't remember if she's been involved in any medical stuff this season.  Maybe she has, but my impression of her is she has been a mope for multiple seasons with no joy or energy whatsoever and is barely even a doctor, much less an interesting one.

She's not a surgeon anymore, she's an OB. Just a couple episodes ago she gave that woman who suffered PPD an abortion. That's all I can really remember her doing lately.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

It is season 19. Could someone on the writing staff finally take a look at a medical journal and see what an actual article is? In a real medical journal 1. the doctor is not interviewed 2. the doctors write the article themselves and submit it and it takes about 18 months for an article to be peer reviewed and published; and 3. all the authors would be listed so even if Maggie is first author, Winston's name would be right behind hers and any hospital seeking to poach her (is this a real thing?) would see his name and make him offers too. (GA's refusal to acknowledge the difference between a medical journal and People Magazine is very annoying.)

Was Maggie always a narcissist?  Getting angry because her husband wants her to talk to him before she orders dinner is not a well-balanced person.

Why are all Grey's therapists incompetent?

Speaking of therapy, Georgina needs therapy rather than to follow her passion. Repeatedly risking your life because your grandfather and uncle were champions at torturing helpless cattle (I've never liked Kwan as much as I liked him here) is not healthy and her parents should not be enabling it. (Let's explore what seems to be her feelings of inferiority compared to the men in her family.) You like riding, Georgia? Try doing it without stirrups or saddles like the Comanche.

Also yes, Owen, women have testosterone too.

My favourite part was Adams figuring out the toothpick problem. Not a big deal but it made me feel good unlike the Maggie and Glasses plots.  See, Georgia, I bet he's not going to go back to chewing on toothpicks after this even if it was his "thing" before.

Linc and Jo psychoanalyzing each other was Zzzzzzz.

17 hours ago, izabella said:

s Jo even a surgeon anymore? 

She's an OB resident now (an inferior position which shows that they really don't know what to do with the character) but she was involved in the surgery on Tia, Addison's resident who was hit by the car. I guess that's why she's in bed now, it was so traumatic?  (How long has Jo been a doctor again?)

Edited by statsgirl
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

Bailey browbeat Jo into taking rotations as a general surgeon because the hospital was so short-staffed. I'm surprised the show didn't move Jo into pediatric surgery or doing whatever it is Addison does - she's an OB/GYN but also a surgeon (fetal surgery?). 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Jo wanted to become an OB/GYN during COVID because birthing babies "makes me happy" as opposed to surgery which presumably made her sad. 🤷‍♀️

It would have made more sense for her to become an OB surgeon maybe doing in utero surgeries because that at least would have kept her connected to the rest of the cast rather than being off in her own bubble.

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

Maybe I am the only one, but I actually like Jo. And I like Jo and Link together.

You're not the only one.  I think they're a much better match than Link and Amelia. 

And I still like Maggie, Owen, and Teddy, although they've been in some not-so-great stories lately.

"Be the vagina."  How did Bailey manage to deliver that line?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, statsgirl said:

See, Georgia, I bet he's not going to go back to chewing on toothpicks after this even if it was his "thing" before.

If we gave prizes for best comment, this would be my vote.

Attempts to make Glasses into a character I like will not work show. Please kill him off.

I don't like Lync and Jo together so I can't enjoy their scenes together. And I dislike how they can just take days off no problem but all other times we're told how busy/short staffed everything is.

• Like 7

Fuck Maggie and that awful speech blaming Winston for everything. He tried to talk to you and you dismissed and decided his feelings weren't valid. Fuck this show for trying to make Winston look like he was to blame for her being a narcissist. Winston was the only thing that made her likeable there for a bit. 

• Like 6
On 4/9/2023 at 8:26 PM, statsgirl said:
On 4/9/2023 at 2:12 PM, izabella said:

Is Jo even a surgeon anymore? 

She's an OB resident now (an inferior position which shows that they really don't know what to do with the character) but she was involved in the surgery on Tia, Addison's resident who was hit by the car. I guess that's why she's in bed now, it was so traumatic?  (How long has Jo been a doctor again?)

Jo did a full residency plus a chief resident year as a surgeon. (I maintain that the writers forgot to count the year Meredith went away after Derek's death toward the education of Jo's class, so I believe she actually ended up doing 6 years as a resident.) She briefly flirted with the idea of ortho, but that seemed to go out the door even before Torres left. Following residency, she did a year as a research fellow. Afterward, she only worked a few months as a full attending surgeon in general surgery before the pandemic made her consider OB/GYN, but given yet another time jump at the end of that season, she more or less worked 1+ year as an attending before asking Bailey to switch fields. As others have noted, Bailey last season convinced Jo to moonlight as a general surgeon since the department was understaffed.

Visually, when they want to show Jo as an OBGYN resident she's in pink scrubs, and when she's working as a general surgery attending, she's in dark blue scrubs. I've noticed that they've gotten a bit sloppy with that this season, however, and they seem to keep her in the dark blue scrubs even when she's doing OBGYN activities like the abortion a couple episodes back. She should've been in pink and also had an OB attending nearby during that scene, as she's still only a second year OBGYN resident. But anyway, I do think it's become harder to keep track of her career trajectory as she keeps wearing the dark scrubs more often and almost never is shown actually learning from attendings in her new field. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Wow, I know I am late to the party being in Australia and 2 weeks behind courtesy of Disney+, but I can't decide which character I detested more in this episode, Levi or Maggie.  Levi and his yelling is just plain annoying, and his "chat and drinks" at the bar at the end of the day was more than forced, it didn't even sound genuine. Why couldn't he have quit and become a bar man and Helm was Chief Resident?  So much more love for this than what we have.  He is such a douche. 

And then there is Maggie.  Was she always so one-sighted?  I used to love her and Winston, (just like I loved Linc and Amelia) why must they ruin the decent character couples?  She has become so annoying.  I really have no interest in what "research" she is doing.  I feel for Winston.  He is such a nice guy and Maggie is treating him like crap.  Worse than crap is probably a better description. And then there was the way she treated Amelia.  The total dismissing of her peeved me off.

Watching Jo and Linc, I kept expecting Jo to say she was pregnant.  I don't know why, but I have had that gut feeling for a few episodes.  Jo and Linc were so good as friends, I just don't see the chemistry between them as a couple. 

I enjoyed the interns in this episode, but they don't give me the same "love" as I had for MAGIC. 

My motivation to watch Grey's these days is waning, yet I have watched from the beginning and intend on watching until the end. However, it is getting harder by the episode.  

• Like 3