Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

Well, we just got back from getting a few things in, some food, and dad needed something for his van.

I had wanted to run into Target, but dad wanted to get home, because we got out late. Just after we got home, I opened twitter, and saw a headline about a bomb threat in a Jackson Township... the township featuring the Target we visit the most. They had a bomb threat today. I am so, so angry. Nothing was found, nobody was hurt, but you never know. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 8
2 hours ago, Anela said:

Well, we just got back from getting a few things in, some food, and dad needed something for his van.

I had wanted to run into Target, but dad wanted to get home, because we got out late. Just after we got home, I opened twitter, and saw a headline about a bomb threat in a Jackson Township... the township featuring the Target we visit the most. They had a bomb threat today. I am so, so angry. Nothing was found, nobody was hurt, but you never know. 

There was a bomb threat at a Target in Utah, too. Those probably aren't the only two.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

A few years ago I was making a real effort to avoid places like Walmart in favour of going to local stores, or at least Canadian megastores anyway.  Now I'm at the  point where I just can't afford to be high minded anymore.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  Walmart has better prices on most household merchandize and, to be honest, their store brand food items (at least that we've tried) are pretty good especially for the price.

• Like 7
41 minutes ago, Bethany said:

A few years ago I was making a real effort to avoid places like Walmart in favour of going to local stores, or at least Canadian megastores anyway.  Now I'm at the  point where I just can't afford to be high minded anymore.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  Walmart has better prices on most household merchandize and, to be honest, their store brand food items (at least that we've tried) are pretty good especially for the price.

I am. I feel bad about all the stuff I order from Amazon but ever since The Before Times, I just don't shop anymore. Plus I have serious mobility issues.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 6
40 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I am. I feel bad about all the stuff I order from Amazon but ever since The Before Times, I just don't shop anymore. Plus I have serious mobility issues.

I don’t have mobility issues but I don’t drive and am quite small.  Things like laundry detergent and even half my groceries are purchased online.  My schedule doesn’t make grocery shopping all that easy anyway.  Most of my groceries come from local supermarkets where prices are fairly decent for organic.  

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I am the same. My mobility has gotten much better since my fall, but shopping just wears me out. I buy most of my clothing on Amazon and lots of grocery items too. My kitty food comes from Chewy so I don't have to lift heavy bags of kittle and cases of wet food multiple times.

I also have an ulterior motive for shopping Amazon as much as possible. A portion of my purchases goes to help fund the Diabetes forum where I am a moderator.

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I am the same. My mobility has gotten much better since my fall, but shopping just wears me out. I buy most of my clothing on Amazon and lots of grocery items too. My kitty food comes from Chewy so I don't have to lift heavy bags of kittle and cases of wet food multiple times.

I also have an ulterior motive for shopping Amazon as much as possible. A portion of my purchases goes to help fund the Diabetes forum where I am a moderator.

Are they still doing that? My Smile charity was St. Jude's and I got an email informing me they weren't doing the Smile program anymore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Are they still doing that? My Smile charity was St. Jude's and I got an email informing me they weren't doing the Smile program anymore.

It is some sort of reward program, maybe just an Amazon thing? We've been doing it for several years...even in the Before Times. It is a very small amount per order but ends up covering our yearly fees to keep the site running.

• Like 2

If you mean Amazon Smile, that was discontinued a few months ago. I looked for the announcement online but didn't find anything. However, if you go to your Amazon account and look at the URL, it just says Amazon instead of Smile.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, ABay said:

If you mean Amazon Smile, that was discontinued a few months ago. I looked for the announcement online but didn't find anything. However, if you go to your Amazon account and look at the URL, it just says Amazon instead of Smile.

Greedy assholes.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

No it is not Amazon Smile. It is some sort of associate program. The person that handles it is in India (we have members Worldwide) I will ask him this evening what it is called when he is up. 

I just made a purchase last week and we got the credit so it is still an active program.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

No it is not Amazon Smile. It is some sort of associate program. The person that handles it is in India (we have members Worldwide) I will ask him this evening what it is called when he is up. 

I just made a purchase last week and we got the credit so it is still an active program.

It is called Amazon Associates. Smile was discontinued, but charities, or someone on their behalf, could put them on Amazon Associates and life would just go on.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Amazon I definitely started making more use of during the pandemic but I especially appreciated when I needed to order products for my mother which I was able to do in  way where these items were being delivered on a regular basis - IIRC every 3 weeks - directly to her retirement residence.  And the regular price thru Amazon was the price I'd be paying elsewhere only if I was lucky enough to come across a sale.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Bethany said:

Amazon I definitely started making more use of during the pandemic but I especially appreciated when I needed to order products for my mother which I was able to do in  way where these items were being delivered on a regular basis - IIRC every 3 weeks - directly to her retirement residence.  And the regular price thru Amazon was the price I'd be paying elsewhere only if I was lucky enough to come across a sale.

I order a lot of household products through well.ca.  They're under the Rexall family of stores, but you don't get points through them as frequently as you would if you shopped in person at a Rexall store.  Very unlike shopping online at Shoppers or Loblaws.  

(for those not from Canada:  Rexall is a pharmacy chain here)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I order a lot of household products through well.ca.  They're under the Rexall family of stores, but you don't get points through them as frequently as you would if you shopped in person at a Rexall store.  Very unlike shopping online at Shoppers or Loblaws.  

(for those not from Canada:  Rexall is a pharmacy chain here)

We used to have a store called Marvel Morgan. In the back they had Rexall Drugs and the basement was a full on hobby shop with every kind of model kit you can imagine. My DH used to build those Universal Monsters. He had them all and his mom chucked them when he moved out.

image.png.d756273941d393bfd3921ac09facb28c.png

• Sad 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Bethany said:

You gotta do what you gotta do. My husband likes their hash browns and frozen meals for work lunches every once in awhile.

Here we are fortunate to have a large, family-owned chain of grocery stores that has prices that are the same or better than Walmart. I shop at that store and Aldi, Trader Joes and a locally-owned pet food store, and again feel fortunate to have these options. There are towns within an hour from us in all directions that only have a Walmart or Dollar General to choose from.

I do have to shop at Walmart for hairspray,* as they are the only store that seems to carry it, and will pick up shampoo, cat litter, deodorant, etc., if already there.  But if Walgreens or CVS or Target carried this hairspray, or if Amazon did at a reasonable price, I'd buy it there just to avoid the sensory overload of Walmart.

*For some reason Aussie switched their formula to one that is absolute crap, and I had to switch brands. Thank the hairspray gods for IT Mega Freeze. I have long, curly hair and regular hairspray does nothing to keep it in line.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Like 2

@Kitty Redstone:  I find Costco more of a sensory overload than Walmart!  I took my son to ToysRus to get him a bike (our stores never closed since it's under different ownership) and he kept on wanting different things.  I told him that we were only there for a bike and nothing more.  That he wasn't allowed to look at anything else.  Did we get the bike?  Sort of.  I'm buying it online.  I didn't want him to change his mind again.  

• LOL 5

I took advantage of a 1/2 price deal on a Walmart+ membership, and got it for $49 about three months ago. With it, we got a Paramount+ membership free for one year (I think a $60 value), plus they deliver the groceries at no charge, cents off gas, and a couple other perks. Their current delivery fee is $8 bucks, so after tipping the driver, the savings are negligible (I tip $5, we're less than five miles from store). Prior to that, I would order online and pick up, which is a "free" service when spending $35 or more, with no tipping allowed. I believe that the online prices are slightly higher than in-store for some items, though I can't say how much higher. 

So far, Walmart's grocery pricing is better than any alternatives in our area. I hate the in-store experience, so I will probably continue to purchase from them, though I may not continue the WM+ membership when it returns to the full $99, I'll go pick up. Like others, my new personal economy no longer allows me to take the high road about where I shop. Walmart would probably be my last choice if that weren't the case.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

@Kitty Redstone:  I find Costco more of a sensory overload than Walmart!

Oh yes, Costco and Sams Club are overwhelming as well, with the crowds and the 20' high stacks of pallets everywhere. It's no place I'd want to be in a tornado.

Glad you were able to find your son a new bike!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Rexall used to be a chain in the U.S.  but I never see them anymore--probably got merged with Walgreens or CVS.

Rexall brand was bought by Dollar General,  so that is where you will find it.  Well I thought I read that somewhere, but apparently you can also get Rexall products at Walmart.

Edited by jennifer6973
Added more info
  • Useful 4

Did any of you start cutting your own hair during the lock down, and just continued doing it?

I have fussy, curly, fine but very thick hair. If it gets cut like a stylist would cut straight hair, it is an awful mess. My favorite stylist moved away and the guy who cut it after did it in layers and then blew it straight.  My hair felt so weird and heavy and did not look so good air dried.

I have shoulder length hair with light layers now. I've gotten pretty good at cutting to a length and snipping in some light layers. I shape cut as it dries (curly hairs will know what I mean).

Now that I'm mostly grey, they texture has changed too, so it is less wavy and more frizzy. Does anyone have any products to recommend? (I wash my hair only every few days, or it gets too dry).

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Oh yes, Costco and Sams Club are overwhelming as well, with the crowds and the 20' high stacks of pallets everywhere. It's no place I'd want to be in a tornado.

Glad you were able to find your son a new bike!

I was in a Costco in CA in 1989 when the Loma Prieta earthquake hit. It was when a section of the Bay Bridge from Oakland to SF collapsed. At first I felt nauseous and thought I was going to be sick, then I looked up and saw the signs all swinging back and forth. I looked at all the cases stacked so high and thought "Get the f*** out of there before you are crushed!" It was frightening!!

• Mind Blown 9
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I also have fine, wavy hair. I really like this stuff for how shiny and wavy but not frizzy it makes my hair.

image.png.e7573b92ee115abe80f249b15fe8cdac.png

This sounds interesting. Does anyone know what hairdressers put on our hair to make it glossy & perfect looking/behaving? I once asked a former hairdresser what they put on my hair after the shampoo & she said, "nothing".  Uh-huh. The only time my hair has no frizz and is glossy & *perfect* is after I leave a salon.  They're using some product...just wish I could buy it for at home use.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

This sounds interesting. Does anyone know what hairdressers put on our hair to make it glossy & perfect looking/behaving? I once asked a former hairdresser what they put on my hair after the shampoo & she said, "nothing".  Uh-huh. The only time my hair has no frizz and is glossy & *perfect* is after I leave a salon.  They're using some product...just wish I could buy it for at home use.

That's odd. Usually they're anxious for you to buy ALL THE PRODUCTS.

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That's odd. Usually they're anxious for you to buy ALL THE PRODUCTS.

I know. I have a hair appt Tuesday and will ask (I switched salons a few years ago). In between appointments, I go to Hair Cuttery for a shampoo & style. I'll ask there next time (they're*always* pushing products!!) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

I was in a Costco in CA in 1989 when the Loma Prieta earthquake hit. It was when a section of the Bay Bridge from Oakland to SF collapsed. At first I felt nauseous and thought I was going to be sick, then I looked up and saw the signs all swinging back and forth. I looked at all the cases stacked so high and thought "Get the f*** out of there before you are crushed!" It was frightening!!

I get that feeling of nausea too when an earthquake starts. I've woken up during one and since my bedroom is upstairs I really feel the sway.

That on in '89 would have been scary as heck.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, nokat said:

Does anyone have any products to recommend?

I have curly hair, too (about 25% of which is grey), and shampoo once a week, but rinse and condition whenever I'm in the shower.  I like (despite the stupid name) the Luv ur Curls line of shampoo, conditioner, and styling product.  I also like Pattern Beauty (their leave-in conditioner is great).

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

I have very unruly/frizzy hair, I have one hairdresser who does a wonderful job on it, years ago he  sold me on something called Daily Rush and I still keep a bottle of it for special occasions.  I am almost sure it isn't made anymore though.  The Dramatics chain had it but you can't buy it on their website now.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

So I'm feeling all fancy, sipping wine out of a plastic cup (I do have wine glasses), after I booked a first class one-way flight to the state I will soon be living in. I have only ever flown coach because I'm generally frugal. I'm going to look like one of the Beverly Hillbillies and should probably buy something nice to wear. The gremlins who like to play tricks made all of my nice work clothes shrink. 😆

I'm the idiot who will stand in the wrong line and wait instead of being the first to board. Any advice from those who fly frequently?

• Like 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, roseha said:

I have very unruly/frizzy hair, I have one hairdresser who does a wonderful job on it, years ago he  sold me on something called Daily Rush and I still keep a bottle of it for special occasions.  I am almost sure it isn't made anymore though.  The Dramatics chain had it but you can't buy it on their website now.

I get my hair cut at a Dramatics on the upper west side, and they stopped making the product I liked, Main Event.  I still have some, though. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I get my hair cut at a Dramatics on the upper west side, and they stopped making the product I liked, Main Event.  I still have some, though. 

Do you remember women using the horse product, Mane 'n Tail? Or was it just the women at the barn using it?

That is the usual though, a product you really love and works is discontinued. 

• Like 3
(edited)
28 minutes ago, nokat said:

I'm the idiot who will stand in the wrong line and wait instead of being the first to board. Any advice from those who fly frequently?

If the airline has a lounge at your departure airport, you may be eligible for a one-time admittance to it based on your first-class ticket, so check into that (it depends, as not all first class fares are created equal), as you may not have to stand in a line at all.  (They'll call your flight in the lounge at a time so that as you reach the gate it will be right when they've started pre-boarding.)  Otherwise, just listen for the call for pre-boarding, which will include first class passengers.  Then sit down, and enjoy your pre-flight drink (unless you're flying on a Sunday out of an airport situated in a county with crazy-ass blue laws that don't allow alcohol to be served on the ground) as everyone else shuffles past you.

Also, some airports have a dedicated security line for first class passengers (I once almost missed a flight home because I stupidly assumed an airport would have one and it didn't), so keep an eye out for that in case you can skip the big line.

Just don't set your expectations too high; it still beats coach, of course, but first class is NOT what it used to be (domestically).

9 minutes ago, nokat said:

Do you remember women using the horse product, Mane 'n Tail?

I didn't use that, but I still use Bag Balm on my heels.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, nokat said:

Do you remember women using the horse product, Mane 'n Tail? Or was it just the women at the barn using it?

That is the usual though, a product you really love and works is discontinued. 

I have heard that people used the horse shampoo/conditioner.  I have never known anyone personally, nor have I tried it. 

As to the first class flying, if you don't get up to board first, you can still go ahead of others.  They keep that line open for latecomers. 

Enjoy your flight.  It really is a more relaxing experience.  I have done first or business on a few occasions when I got an upgrade with points.  Or sometimes they let you upgrade for a small amount of cash if there's room. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Thanks 1

I've flown first class a couple of times, and it really is so much better, mostly because you have more leg room and the seats are a bit wider.  I flew Business to Argentina a few years ago, and it was so worth the price of admission.  For my flight to Heathrow tomorrow (!) I got an upgrade with miles to a lie-flat seat.  That'll be my first time with one of those, and I'll be the bumpkin taking photos.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Then sit down, and enjoy your pre-flight drink (unless you're flying on a Sunday out of an airport situated in a county with crazy-ass blue laws that don't allow alcohol to be served on the ground) as everyone else shuffles past you.

I intend to enjoy it. Out of LAX, yes there will be drinks.

• Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, nokat said:

Out of LAX,

Oh, good, then your airline probably has a lounge there; they have over 20.  Check to see if your airline has one, and, if so, if your particular first class fare gets you entrance to it. 

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I got an upgrade with miles to a lie-flat seat.

I love the seats that turn into a bed (I especially like that they give you "pajamas" [they're more like scrubs] to change into), but those lie-flat business seats are really good, too.  I don't know how people handle long-haul flights sitting up with only a little bit of reclining ability.

Also, are you on Virgin by any chance?  Their lounges at Heathrow (their enormous departure lounge and their cool revival lounge for overnight flight arrivals) are terrific, if you can get access to those.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I've flown first class a couple of times, and it really is so much better, mostly because you have more leg room and the seats are a bit wider.  I flew Business to Argentina a few years ago, and it was so worth the price of admission.  For my flight to Heathrow tomorrow (!) I got an upgrade with miles to a lie-flat seat.  That'll be my first time with one of those, and I'll be the bumpkin taking photos.

Oh yes, I wanted the extra leg room, and internationally I definitely would want it.  My first leg is California to Detroit, and that is only about 4 and a half hours, but that is a long time with your legs pressed into the seat in front of you, and I still have knee problems.

Enjoy your flight to Heathrow! Oh, a lie-flat seat, what bliss.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I have heard that people used the horse shampoo/conditioner.  I have never known anyone personally, nor have I tried it.

I used it for a while. I didn't notice any spectular effects on my hair. But I did develop a serious taste for oats.

• LOL 13
3 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I used it for a while. I didn't notice any spectular effects on my hair. But I did develop a serious taste for oats.

Was your hair this fabulous?

horse_mane.jpg

• LOL 12
On 5/27/2023 at 12:43 PM, ABay said:

I got an email informing me of this.  The past few years since the pandemic, I've been shopping almost exclusively from Amazon. My designated charity was the Tri-State Chapter of the Scleroderma Foundation. They fund raise and also offer support and education to those in NY, NJ, and CT, who are affected by scleroderma. It's a cause dear to my heart, as my mom suffered for 18 years with this disease before succumbing at age 55.

Damn Jeff Bezos for discontinuing Amazon Smile! 

On 5/27/2023 at 1:06 PM, peacheslatour said:

Greedy assholes.

Yep! 😠

• Like 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, nokat said:

So I'm feeling all fancy, sipping wine out of a plastic cup (I do have wine glasses), after I booked a first class one-way flight to the state I will soon be living in. I have only ever flown coach because I'm generally frugal. I'm going to look like one of the Beverly Hillbillies and should probably buy something nice to wear. The gremlins who like to play tricks made all of my nice work clothes shrink. 😆

If it makes you feel any better, I flew home first class after a day of hiking the back country in Yosemite.  Even though I changed before I left the park, I was still exceedingly scruffy looking and no one batted an eye.  🙂  It was so nice to be able to stretch out my legs and have a couple of glasses of wine once I boarded.  Admittedly, I was so tired from all the hiking that I promptly fell asleep after drinking the wine and didn't wake up until we landed so I didn't get to appreciate the full experience.  😉

• Like 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I previously wrote about that hair product Main Event, and I keep thinking it should be spelled Mane Event. 

I'm sorry for taking that and galloping  running with it.

• LOL 2