Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I have used SuperCuts to save money, and sometimes there are new, just-starting-out, or just-moved-here stylists who are very perky and personable. 

I usually go to SuperCuts, because all I really need is for my hair to be shorter.  I want it to look exactly the same, but shorter.  The new, just-starting-out stylists have a very hard time understanding that.  They want to do more! and show off their newly-minted skills.  Most of them listen to me, but I've had to go back later to get my hair fixed on occasion.  There was one who couldn't get my (curly) hair even, and just kept cutting.  I finally had to tell her to stop, or I'd end up with too short hair, but one side was noticeably shorter than the other.  The person the next day fixed it quickly and easily.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1

HAPPY EASTER everyone to those who observe.  Going to my daughters to see all my grands.  Two girls, four boys, Easter baskets, the whole traditional thing.  It’s nice not to cook anymore for me.  I just ordered a new sound machine from Amazon .. mine just broke.  It’s coming in 4 hours.  Love Amazon.  I take an 11 size shoe, am 5’7, almost, about 149 lbs, and I still color my hair light blonde.  Life is good.  No complaints.  Just happy to be alive to enjoy the day.  Happy anything to  everyone.  ❤️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 8
56 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Oh. BTW: Happy Easter to those who observe, whether bunnies or resurrection (bunnies do multiply so prolifically; perhaps they do represent resurrection). 

My daughter, like my mother, wants to instill the norm of the Easter Bunny into the psyche of my grandchildren. Her husband is like me: Meh. 
But any excuse to see my little lambchops👶🏻👶🏼 is a good excuse. 
🐣

Yep, and seeing the Lambchops gives a high for the rest of the week.  I never saw any of my Grandparents and missed that.  My grandkids crack up when I tell them stories of their parents while growing up.  Good and bad, lol.

• Like 8
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

HAPPY EASTER everyone to those who observe.  Going to my daughters to see all my grands.  Two girls, four boys, Easter baskets, the whole traditional thing.  It’s nice not to cook anymore for me.  I just ordered a new sound machine from Amazon .. mine just broke.  It’s coming in 4 hours.  Love Amazon.  I take an 11 size shoe, am 5’7, almost, about 149 lbs, and I still color my hair light blonde.  Life is good.  No complaints.  Just happy to be alive to enjoy the day.  Happy anything to  everyone.  ❤️

Thanks to you and @shapeshifter and same to everyone who celebrates!  At least we have a nice sunny day here in the Northeast for a change!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

But any excuse to see my little lambchops👶🏻👶🏼 is a good excuse. 

🐣

Enjoy your little bunnies and some Easter candies today 🤗🩷🪻

• Like 7
  • Love 1
On 3/25/2024 at 9:29 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

I feel like the least they could have done was say how much the hotel holds for incidentals. They made it sound like this easy breezy thing everyone knows about but I don’t travel a lot even for leisure so it’s not like I know this stuff inside and out. My mom explained it to me and said how this is normal practice these days and the hold should go away within a day or two. But of course that’s if my bank decides to let go of it that easy once the hotel removes the charge. 

I don’t blame my company for the fact that I screwed up my credit for a variety of reasons and so not having access to cards is really my fault. That’s fine. I am owning my mistake there. It’s just a matter of the position this put me in until payday. I have an invoice for some freelance work out too (done for a separate company of course) but that invoice is still being processed and the company has until May to pay me for it. So there is no chance I see that money tomorrow or Wednesday to put me at ease either. 

Sorry to be late to see this - Shall I trust this got resolved before you had any issue with your bank account?  I was going to say that this is why companies give employees expense account credit cards.  Usually they only give it to people who regularly travel or purchase things on behalf of the company.  I had one and thank goodness because at the time my bank account couldn't have weathered those holds.  If you find yourself in that situation again I'd ask them about that.  I know, you don't want to let on that you are that stretched for money but as my mother always used to say, "better to face the shame".  And as someone that regularly had to do expense reports and keep track of those holds I can say from experience that they often did not clear within a week and sometimes hung around much longer!

On 3/26/2024 at 11:38 AM, oliviabenson said:

I gave myself food poisoning or something. Not feeling well at all.

😭😭😭

I got that too a couple of weeks ago.  It was definitely food poisoning, although a mild case with no vomiting that was over in 48 hours.  My husband ate the exact same things as me that day and didn't get anything.  Then again when I got Covid he didn't get it.  He is unbelievable.

On 3/28/2024 at 6:43 PM, shapeshifter said:

It was such a relief when we decided not to police eating in the library anymore. 
Of course, it required someone to clean up after the heathens — which sometimes meant me or even my boss.

So our sign would have had to be something like:

• PLEASE PUT YOUR LEFTOVER FOOD & TRASH INTO THE GARBAGE CANS.
  • Mice love leftovers.
    514cba5f6b107bcf5ea1cad797087ee0.jpg bite-of-dessert-bread-crumbs-free-vector.jpg
  • If you feed the mice, they will learn how to read.
  • Knowledge is POWER.
  • POWER CORRUPTS.
  • The mice will turn evil and take over the world.
  • DO YOUR PART AND SAVE US FROM AN EVIL MOUSE APOCALYPSE.

Actually, it was just one mouse, and the students were mostly afraid of it until it was captured. This was a very suburban college, not NYU or University of Chicago or anything like that.

Haha, in the '70s I used to sneak a pickle and a knish from the appy store into my local library in the Bronx, LOL.  But I was careful and cleaned up after myself.  I used my book bag as a tray to catch anything that fell!

19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Speaking of Amazon, I've been looking there for slip ons. I take a 5W. I can't find any anywhere.

I hear you.  I am finding it harder to find anything online anymore.  WTF?  You can't find it in the store now OR online!  I am looking for formalwear for an event and am having trouble finding an outfit in a petite size 16.  I ordered the 14P and hope it will fit.  It probably will but I usually order 2 sizes just to be on the safe side in case it runs small.  None of the outfits in that brand come in 16P, it's not just that they were out of it.  Unbelievable.  I ordered regular 16 as the backup.  I hope the 14P fits.  Since when are short women not allowed to be a 16???  And plus size is too big on me!

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

As with anything, people are more apt to be directly rude like that (meaning talking to someone rather than about them) online than in person, but, yes, of course. 

I had a skinny female gynecologist tell me I was "heavy".  It wasn't in the context of health and wellness either and it felt judgy.  I admit it hurt me especially because I hadn't been overweight that long yet to have heard this directly from someone before.  Years later it still bothers me.  I never went back to her.  I asked for a different doctor in that practice.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 6
16 hours ago, isalicat said:

eBay is your friend! Search in women's shoes, by size and location (I only buy things from within the U.S., due to shipping costs and also filtering for unscrupulous sellers), and if you prefer, by New With Tags...and then always, always check the seller's feedback before bidding (if it is a true auction) and the shipping costs so you get a true cost. My mom wore a 5W also (so I wound up getting her shoes on line because no retail store seems to carry any size under a 6 these days). Good luck!

Yeah, I agree about Ebay but now also Mercari is becoming big and a good source for that stuff too.  Poshmark can be although some of their sellers become deadbeats and forget getting your item.  You have to look at the page to see when the last time they logged in was before buying.

I sell my "new with tags" and slightly used clothing on all these sites and buy from them all the time.  I don't know what I'd do without them now that so many stores have gone out of business that carried petite sizes.  I get a lot of repeat customers for my own petite sized stuff too because of that.  I have a 100% rating which I work hard to keep.  Those sites are a great source for hard to find items and sizes.  I know, I should look there for my formal outfit!

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

Happy Easter to those who observe. Our 2 grands were here last weekend and on Tuesday I dropped them off at the airport to spend 2.5 weeks with their maternal grandparents in Texas. My son was raised Christian, as was his wife, but they no longer believe. Because of this, I never know what traditions, if any, we should celebrate. I did buy an Easter pail and filled it with goodies, of the non-candy kind, since they limit sugar. But my DILs mom sent tons of photos today and my almost 3 y.o. grandson is wearing a Happy Easter tee shirt. I've been reluctant to buy stuff like that. The extended family is there and my grandson made out like a bandit with tons of Easter goodies, from plush bunnies to Marvel Spiderman. We all did visit Santa this past Christmas. They have no issues with telling the boys about Santa, but not the whole magic sleigh and gifts, not to mention the religious aspect. They had an Easter egg hunt and my grandson is having a ball. The little one is only 8 months, so he's just enjoying the people and good weather. 

We're having almost 60 degree weather here, and I am heading out to my wonderful niece's house. So nice not to have to cook. I just topped a block of Brie cheese with some fig jam and baked in the oven. Smells so good. Taking an apple pie and a coconut pie for dessert.th(1)(13).jpeg.2f80e0305cd696439bf032f3e3c040e8.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Love 3

I decorated eggs and my parents hid them for me to find on Easter when I was little, but that's the only version of the holiday we observed, so once I grew out of that it became just another Sunday.  But I'll be at my parents' house either tomorrow or Tuesday to drop something off, and I know my mom will have a chocolate bunny for me.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

It’s chocolate egg day for me, because I’m not religious.  I grew up with it being like Christmas Day with Easter eggs.  Big chocolate ones, with more in the middle.  

dad got me a chocolate egg that looks like it won’t taste very nice,  but I appreciate him getting it for me.  I also have chocolate orange buttons, and individual caramellos from the world market.  

• Like 9
33 minutes ago, Anela said:

It’s chocolate egg day for me, because I’m not religious.  I grew up with it being like Christmas Day with Easter eggs.  Big chocolate ones, with more in the middle.  

dad got me a chocolate egg that looks like it won’t taste very nice,  but I appreciate him getting it for me.  I also have chocolate orange buttons, and individual caramellos from the world market.  

Ugh, I had a bf in high school whose mom was a major vegetarian. She got me a carob bunny. I thanked her profusely but truly, the thing was inedible.

• LOL 20
(edited)
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Sorry to be late to see this - Shall I trust this got resolved before you had any issue with your bank account?  I was going to say that this is why companies give employees expense account credit cards.  Usually they only give it to people who regularly travel or purchase things on behalf of the company.  I had one and thank goodness because at the time my bank account couldn't have weathered those holds.  If you find yourself in that situation again I'd ask them about that.  I know, you don't want to let on that you are that stretched for money but as my mother always used to say, "better to face the shame".  And as someone that regularly had to do expense reports and keep track of those holds I can say from experience that they often did not clear within a week and sometimes hung around much longer!

I was able to stop a different payment that was outstanding and the hold was released by Wednesday after being put on Monday afternoon. But it was very tight for a hot minute. In order to get enough gas to get home I had to buy a gas card with what little I had left on my credit card and use the gas card to fill up. 

When we had our regular department meeting last week, the head of the department said some people had expressed to her that they would like to occasionally have team meetings in person or do additional team building at the office. So it’s possible I may end up traveling more in the future, which doesn’t thrill me if I have to be in this situation again, but nothing definite has been planned so I’m just going to worry about it if the time ever comes. Hopefully they will be day trips that don’t require a hotel or it wouldn’t be super often. I can’t imagine I’d stay at that job long term if more frequent 2.5-3 hour trips one way were required of me. I was already passively looking to see if I could find something outside of customer service anyway but if I were ever required to go back and forth more often I’d put my search into overdrive.

I have a bigger problem now anyway, as my car needs $800 worth of repairs and it won’t pass inspection in my state until the repairs are done. The mechanic is a friend of my stepdad’s and we all take our cars to him, so we’re going to see if he can work with us on payment. He has his own shop too, so there’s no promises but we’ll see. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 8
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Ugh, I had a bf in high school whose mom was a major vegetarian. She got me a carob bunny. I thanked her profusely but truly, the thing was inedible.

This one is from a place called sarris candies (I thought it said candles, at first). It’s only half an egg, and it says it’s melt away, so maybe it won’t be so bad.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Carob must have been pushed as a chocolate alternative at some point, because my parents gave it to me a couple of times. Probably in the late 80s or so. The problem with that it is, as you highlighted, it doesn't taste half as good. And that's being generous.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Happy Easter to y'all! I am religious, and of the Catholic variety, so just spent the last four days in church singing at various liturgies and being a lector on Good Friday. The church was packed this morning (lots of what we call C&E Catholics = Christmas and Easter) and the choir did a great job so hopefully some will come back on a regular Sunday once in a while. Now on to the eating (especially the chocolate) part! And the sun finally came out here in central California after three days of rain and wind so it feels very much like spring has finally sprung! Have a lovely day, whatever you believe and however you celebrate! 😸

• Like 13
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Carob must have been pushed as a chocolate alternative at some point, because my parents gave it to me a couple of times. Probably in the late 80s or so.

IIRC, the carob-as-chocolate travesty began in the early 80s -- I don't remember it in the 70s, but it might have been in the late 70s.  And it was indeed a travesty.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

My favorite Easter Bunny story involved my very close friend, who married a man who was quite a bit older than she was and had two young sons. One of the sons came to stay with her and his dad over the holiday and was gifted with a chocolate bunny. Not being a chocoholic, the boy just put the bunny in the breadbox and left it there. It was driving her crazy knowing there was this big hunk of chocolate in the house and not getting to eat any of it.

Finally, in the middle of the night, she couldn't bear it anymore (or should that be "couldn't bunny it anymore"?) and snuck downstairs. She took a knife and carefully sawed off the bunny's head and nibbled away at its neck, then squished the head back on. Then the next day, while the kid was out, she amputated one of its arms and nibbled at part of the upper arm, then did the other arm. She shortened both its legs in the same way.

Her stepson came home and decided to have some of his bunny for dessert that night. When he took it out of the breadbox, he was stunned by how it looked. "What happened to my Easter Bunny?! He looks like he's had some kind of surgery! It's Frankenstein's Bunny!"

My friend, of course, said she was just as amazed. What monster would do such a thing?

I'm the only one who knew what monster.

• LOL 20

I still see carob in stores.  I've never had it and it doesn't sound all that appealing, anyway.  I mean, if I want low sugar, I'll just go extra dark.  I like it extra dark anyway (I've even had 100% cacao!).  And Happy Easter to all celebrating (whether of the religious variety, commercial or a bit of both)!!  

• Like 10
  • Love 2
(edited)

I’ve complained a lot about my air fryer, because it keeps shutting off, or changing the temperature and not stopping when I try to stop it (so I have to unplug it), but when it works, it’s really good.  My roast potatoes are perfect, but my chicken is still roasting in the big oven, so I’ve had two, before they cool off. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

About carob:
Starting in the mid 70s I wanted to try going off chocolate, so I started cooking with carob powder. I liked it. But I went back to chocolate a year later.
(My name is shapeshifter, and I am a chocoholic.

Nevertheless, because carob is naturally sweet and so requires less additional sugars, because it is high in fiber, because it is caffeine free, and because I like it, I continued to bake with carob powder when my kids were young.
I also bought them carob-covered nuts for treats, and put carob chips in quick breads and "cakes" that had zucchini and carrots in them too. 

I rarely bake anymore, but this discussion has lead me to at least put a pound of carob powder and 12 oz. of carob chips in my Amazon cart. 
However, about 75% of the stuff I put in my Amazon cart gets moved to "save for later," and I never purchase it. It's my favorite Amazon feature.

And now for my fun carob anecdote:
My oldest daughter is now 45.
About 8 years ago she reconnected with a childhood friend who helped her get employment in the city where she wanted to live. 
They still regularly enjoy make jokes about how terrible my carob brownies were that my daughter brought to a school party 35 years ago.

• LOL 11
3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

My favorite Easter Bunny story involved my very close friend, who married a man who was quite a bit older than she was and had two young sons. One of the sons came to stay with her and his dad over the holiday and was gifted with a chocolate bunny. Not being a chocoholic, the boy just put the bunny in the breadbox and left it there. It was driving her crazy knowing there was this big hunk of chocolate in the house and not getting to eat any of it.

Finally, in the middle of the night, she couldn't bear it anymore (or should that be "couldn't bunny it anymore"?) and snuck downstairs. She took a knife and carefully sawed off the bunny's head and nibbled away at its neck, then squished the head back on. Then the next day, while the kid was out, she amputated one of its arms and nibbled at part of the upper arm, then did the other arm. She shortened both its legs in the same way.

Her stepson came home and decided to have some of his bunny for dessert that night. When he took it out of the breadbox, he was stunned by how it looked. "What happened to my Easter Bunny?! He looks like he's had some kind of surgery! It's Frankenstein's Bunny!"

My friend, of course, said she was just as amazed. What monster would do such a thing?

I'm the only one who knew what monster.

I would have eaten the whole bunny and claimed it melted and I tossed it. Sorry buddy unattended chocolate gets inhaled by me.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 9

@Mondrianyone, I can emphasize with your friend as I just can't keep chocolate in my house and eat it with moderation. I'd gobble it up all at once. My husband is like your friend's stepson ; he likes chocolate well enough but doesn't crave it. When he was a kid his Easter basket filled with goodies and a chocolate bunny would sit uneaten on his dresser. His younger siblings would sneak into his room, open the cellophane in the back and gradually take bits of chocolate off that bunny until eventually my husband would notice. I'd buy him a pound of Russell Stover chocolates on Valentine's Day ( nut &chewy kind) and it would last for weeks. I could never control myself in that way with my sweet tooth. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I had a skinny female gynecologist tell me I was "heavy".  It wasn't in the context of health and wellness either and it felt judgy.  I admit it hurt me especially because I hadn't been overweight that long yet to have heard this directly from someone before.  Years later it still bothers me.  I never went back to her.  I asked for a different doctor in that practice.  

Yeah well, I was always thin.  But, in my thirties, we went to a wedding, and I went over to my husbands Aunt to say hello.  She loudly said “you got so fat”.   I was humiliated, as I  just learned I had a low Thyroid from a blood test and my face had gotten very puffy.  Needless to say, I never looked at her again.  A .few weeks after taking Synthroid, I went back to normal.  People are so rude sometimes.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Hugs 6
  • Sad 3
  • Fire 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I decorated eggs and my parents hid them for me to find on Easter when I was little, but that's the only version of the holiday we observed, so once I grew out of that it became just another Sunday.  But I'll be at my parents' house either tomorrow or Tuesday to drop something off, and I know my mom will have a chocolate bunny for me.

Oh, you just got me choked up.  My dad used to bring me a chocolate Easter bunny every Easter.  I still have the one he gave me right before he died in 2020.  I can't bear to get rid of it.

My mom and I used to love Peeps so I still buy one package in her honor every Easter.

The only Easter candy I really eat anymore are those Zachary chocolate covered marshmallow eggs in the styrofoam egg cartons.  I allow myself one per day.  Yup, that's it!

People used to marvel when I worked that I could have mini chocolate candies on my desk for people to eat but I never ate any.  My willpower is amazing, while unfortunately my metabolism is not.  If I ate chocolate the way I wanted to my weight would shoot up.  After my father died during those dark first days of the pandemic I allowed myself 5 dark M&Ms per day and my weight shot up 25 lbs. on that alone.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 7
10 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I have a bigger problem now anyway, as my car needs $800 worth of repairs and it won’t pass inspection in my state until the repairs are done. The mechanic is a friend of my stepdad’s and we all take our cars to him, so we’re going to see if he can work with us on payment. He has his own shop too, so there’s no promises but we’ll see. 

I'm happy to hear the hold thing didn't turn into a nightmare (for now at least).  I hear you about your car.  Once years ago after I was laid off and eking by on unemployment benefits my then 10 year old car which had never given me a day of trouble picked that moment to need $2,000 worth of engine repairs and the last thing I wanted to do was charge it.  Unfortunately I had to eventually.  I had no choice.  After that every couple of months it needed something.  I was going broke fast.  Then a friend of mine who was also laid off told me she was able to lease a new car cheaply even while on unemployment, so rather than continue to owe thousands on the old car I did that.  It was the best thing I could have done under the circumstances. 

It's good to know an auto repair person.  My husband used to be a service manager of a shop so for decades I got cheap service but after he got out of that I didn't have that perk.  My lawyer friend is on the "barter system" with his mechanic.  He represented him in his divorce and gets free service.  He also does that with his dentist, LOL.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

About carob:
Starting in the mid 70s I wanted to try going off chocolate, so I started cooking with carob powder. I liked it. But I went back to chocolate a year later.
(My name is shapeshifter, and I am a chocoholic.

I remember carob being somewhat of a trendy thing back in the '70s.  My parents had it in the house for a while and I really wanted to like it as it was supposedly more healthy than chocolate but I just couldn't make that switch.  I remember it being an ingredient in "health shake powder" and I could tolerate it that way for a while.

Another trend that came out several years ago was buffalo meat as a replacement for beef.  I wanted to switch to that too but just couldn't.  Now I just stick to smaller portions of very lean cuts of beef.

Speaking of that, I just made a "Sunday gravy" for Easter with all the meats in it.  Instead of the fatty chuck roast I used a leaner sirloin roast and I threw in lean pork loin rather than the fattier shoulder.  I did add some pork sausage, though.  There was much less fat to skim off the top and other than the meat being a touch dryer than usual it came out great.  I also added hard boiled eggs as was my grandma's tradition.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Yeah well, I was always thin.  But, in my thirties, we went to a wedding, and I went over to my husbands Aunt to say hello.  She loudly said “you got so fat”.   I was humiliated, as I  just learned I had a low Thyroid from a blood test and my face had gotten very puffy.  Needless to say, I never looked at her again.  A .few weeks after taking Synthroid, I went back to normal.  People are so rude sometimes.

Ughhh.....Some people!  🙄

My thyroid levels keep getting lower but still are technically normal.  I might have to go on that eventually but that's for another thread. 

• Hugs 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Try to excuse me while I put on my Devil's Advocate Hat in an effort to perhaps rewrite the memory for you in a way that might erase the trauma:
Is there any chance she just thoughtlessly blurted out the F** word without thinking, when what she was really alarmed by was a change in your appearance that seemed to indicate you had an undiagnosed health problem?

When my middle child was born in 1983, I had moved to the next town over where nobody knew me before I was obviously pregnant. A few months after she was born people started asking questions insinuating that I should get checked for AIDS because I was so thin.

The memory still bugs me, but not too much.

ETA:
I did not have AIDS. I was just back to my normal weight.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 5
(edited)

Went to get Easter candy. Limited selection and not that cheap. Got 2 bags : mixed candy in each bag $3 each. No lemon Kit Kats left , sad face.

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Try to excuse me while I put on my Devil's Advocate Hat in an effort to perhaps rewrite the memory for you in a way that might erase the trauma:
Is there any chance she just thoughtlessly blurted out the F** word without thinking, when what she was really alarmed by was a change in your appearance that seemed to indicate you had an undiagnosed health problem?

When my middle child was born in 1983, I had moved to the next town over where nobody knew me before I was obviously pregnant. A few months after she was born people started asking questions insinuating that I should get checked for AIDS because I was so thin.

ETA:

Bless you for trying to see a potentially positive motive in this.  Even if so I still think the woman should have taken her aside rather than blurting it out like that where others could hear.  

I've had something similar happen, although discreetly.  When I was going through perimenopause and gained a little weight I went to my FIL's birthday party at a restaurant where the wife of one of my husband's cousins (who was a nurse) took me aside and told me she was concerned about the swelling in my lower legs and feet because it could mean heart disease, etc.  I know she had the best of intentions but it scared me so much I went to the doctor, who sent me for several tests for all kinds of things including venous issues or lymphedema, but turned up nothing.  When I subsequently went on Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig and lost 25 lbs. to get back to my normal weight the swelling disappeared. 

Of course that was then.  I was able to keep my weight down for over a decade with diet and exercise but after menopause despite dieting and exercise the weight came back and so has the swelling.  Even my recent weight loss was not enough to get rid of that again and forget losing any more (thanks to medical issues I've discussed in the medical thread).  But over the years I have had many nurses, doctors, and concerned strangers tell me it's everything under the sun.  So as a result I never wear skirts or any pants that show my ankles anymore.  I'm tired of it, not to mention fearing that people will make fun of the woman with the "cankles"!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 8
  • Sad 1
13 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Bless you for trying to see a potentially positive motive in this.  Even if so I still think the woman should have taken her aside rather than blurting it out like that where others could hear.  

I've had something similar happen, although discreetly.  When I was going through perimenopause and gained a little weight I went to my FIL's birthday party at a restaurant where the wife of one of my husband's cousins (who was a nurse) took me aside and told me she was concerned about the swelling in my lower legs and feet because it could mean heart disease, etc.  I know she had the best of intentions but it scared me so much I went to the doctor, who sent me for several tests for all kinds of things including venous issues or lymphedema, but turned up nothing.  When I subsequently went on Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig and lost 25 lbs. to get back to my normal weight the swelling disappeared. 

Of course that was then.  I was able to keep my weight down for over a decade with diet and exercise but after menopause despite dieting and exercise the weight came back and so has the swelling.  Even my recent weight loss was not enough to get rid of that again and forget losing any more (thanks to medical issues I've discussed in the medical thread).  But over the years I have had many nurses, doctors, and concerned strangers tell me it's everything under the sun.  So as a result I never wear skirts or any pants that show my ankles anymore.  I'm tired of it, not to mention fearing that people will make fun of the woman with the "cankles"!

I've pretty much given up salt. It helps.

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
On 3/31/2024 at 10:07 AM, Yeah No said:

I'm glad it's not just me that felt judged - last year at my mammogram the 30-something nurse asked if I'd gained "a lot" of weight since my breasts were larger. It pissed me off, first because YES I HAVE GAINED WEIGHT and second because being in my mid-50's menopause has not been kind and I was struggling at the time with my self-image.  The way she said it came off as so judgmental, and I left feeling so disgusted with myself. 

• Hugs 10
  • Fire 2

The ones who claim to be concerned are full of shit. They aren't concerned for you, they're trying to make themselves feel better.  And they can all mind their own business.

And doctors...this is the reason fat people with a genuine need for health care don't pursue it. Really, none of your thin patients get sick?

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I need salty stuff, unfortunately.  
I have a vent about body comments, but some of it belongs in the family thread.  I’m also just too tired to actually vent. I can’t be bothered.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 6
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

ETA:

Who knows what she was thinking.  I was always very thin, but I just took it from where it came.  The woman was just a head case in general.  Puffy face, swollen fingers and very tired does indicate a low thyroid.  Still, she was very rude. 🤷‍♂️

Btw .. Anyone here have a split screen today?  Anything going on here?

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

After my first child at 24 years old, my left foot has always been swollen .. not the right.  It’s just one of those things that’s unexplainable.  Especially in the summer.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I took my response to this to the Medical Thread here:

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/138201-health-and-wellness-chit-chat-your-primary-care-topic/?do=findComment&comment=8330618

Speaking of reducing salt, that Sunday gravy I just made was with reduced salt as well as reduced fat.  I used canned tomatoes without much salt and didn't add any.  I only very lightly threw salt on the meat when I browned it.  Only on one side, too.  The only thing that had added sodium were the sausage links and I only put 4 in a big pot.  Other than that, I did salt the pasta water a bit ('cause you have to) and lightly sprinkled my dish with grated cheese, which has salt.  Somehow that works.  It's not exactly like grandma's but it's still excellent!

• Like 7
  • Love 2
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I did salt the pasta water a bit ('cause you have to)

I don’t. 🤷🏻‍♀️
But then I am not a very good cook.
(See my daughter and friend’s review above.)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 5
6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I don’t. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Too foodies everywhere this is an essential step for a number of reasons.  I'll let Martha Stewart explain but there are many more chefs that will concur:

https://www.marthastewart.com/7991821/why-salt-pasta-water

I don't salt it nearly as much as "the sea" as many chefs recommend, but just enough for my taste.

To me it's almost like not salting bread. It's unbelievable how bad bread is without it (I've actually tried it)!  We tend not to think about sodium in bread, but it's there and wow, it needs it!

There are only a few things I really need to add salt to and I know a lot of people feel the same way about these - eggs for one and potatoes for another.  I use Morton's Light Salt for those.  I also use garlic, onion and herbs to mimic saltiness as well as anything with acid like lemon, lime and vinegar.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
6 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I'll let Martha Stewart explain but there are many more chefs that will concur:

https://www.marthastewart.com/7991821/why-salt-pasta-water

“Sodium patrollers can rest easy knowing that your pasta will not absorb the full tablespoon of salt. In fact, a pound of pasta is estimated to absorb only about a quarter of that amount” (marthastewart.com/7991821/why-salt-pasta-water).

— Good to know.

But the package does say the salt is optional.

This reminds me of my somewhat awful, ex, late father-in-law who loudly proclaimed that food cooked without MSG was “Yuck!”

Of course — by my description above — he was no Martha Stewart.

But I think I did used to salt the pasta water when I was married? Not sure. 35 years ago.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

But the package does say the salt is optional.

Salt is never an essential ingredient but for me it goes along with eggs, bread and potatoes as one of those things I couldn't get used to without it.  

I do use Schmidt "Old Tyme" 6-4-7 breads, which say they're low in sodium but taste great!  So a little salt can go a long way in bread.  But no salt, unless it's one of those brown whole wheat grainy breads is pretty bad in my opinion.

I love that Schmidt's 6-4-7 bread.  It's gotten very popular and comes in many different varieties including rolls and rye bread!  It's also a reduced carb. bread, which is the main reason I buy it.

• Useful 5
(edited)

Speaking of reducing salt, that Sunday gravy I just made was with reduced salt as well as reduced fat.

Great. I don't use a lot of sall as well. I fry eggs without adding it. Add a little when cook smth. I prefer undersalted meals, and I don't buy burgers cause  meat is too salty for me.

Edited by dani7141
add don't and meat
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, dani7141 said:

I don't use a lot of sall as well. I fry eggs without adding it.

My name is shapeshifter and I am a butter-holic.
I fry my eggs in butter. Salted butter. 
[hangs head in shame]

• Wink 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My name is shapeshifter and I am a butter-holic.
I fry my eggs in butter. Salted butter. 
[hangs head in shame]

You know we still love ya! 😁

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
5 hours ago, dani7141 said:

Great. I don't use a lot of sall as well. I fry eggs without adding it. Add a little when cook smth. I prefer undersalted meals, and I buy burgers cause  mea is too salty for me.

I never salt eggs. Unless we buy unsalted butter, there is plenty of salt in regular butter. I use a lot of herbs and yes, cheese. I get plenty of salt without adding any. One exception - popcorn. How are you gonna eat popcorn without salt? Fortunately, I don't eat it very often.

• Like 7

I don't use salt on very much; I usually use pepper or a salt-free seasoning mix from Penzey's.  The one they call Justice is great - shallots, garlic, chives, green peppercorns, onion.  It's really good on potatoes, eggs, or any veggies.  They have some good pepper blends.  My favorite is Florida Seasoned Pepper, a mix of black pepper, lemon peel, orange peel, garlic & onion.  I also love their Black and Red Spice, a mix of black pepper and cayenne red pepper.  

And I too cook eggs in salted butter!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

By keeping my processed food under control, I know how much salt (or sugar) is in my food most of the time. Unsalted butter, but putting salt on eggs, doing my own salad dressing, very few condiments, no pre-done barbecue sauces, etc. The amount of sugar and salt in those is ridiculous once you look it up.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

To me it's almost like not salting bread. It's unbelievable how bad bread is without it (I've actually tried it)!  We tend not to think about sodium in bread, but it's there and wow, it needs it!

I never change the salt in any recipe when I’m baking. It’s not about taste…it’s science! I know I should cut back on the processed foods. The salt is ridiculous! 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, chitowngirl said:

I never change the salt in any recipe when I’m baking. It’s not about taste…it’s science! I know I should cut back on the processed foods. The salt is ridiculous! 

I used to use Lawry's spaghetti sauce mix, my mom used it all my life, as did my husband's dad. Then I read the ingredients. Yikes! I found a great recipe online for a simple spaghetti sauce and never looked back. It has no salt or sugar in it at all. I had to tell my husband when he was on his second serving of lasagna that it was scratch sauce., not the Lawry's. He said it was great.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

How are you gonna eat popcorn without salt?

Very easily. I eat plain popcorn with no flavorings, butter or salt. I, by default, have been on my Dad’s low to no sodium diet for decades. When you aren’t used to it you don’t crave it. It also gives me difficulties as prepared food, eating out or regular canned foods are usually too salty for me. Even when I try to use the lower sodium options. Basically I have to cook from scratch every night. 

• Like 5