Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

All better. Had a plain salad for dinner and kept it down. 

Stayed home today just in case! 

Good for you for staying home and taking care of yourself. Take it easy, diet-wise, for the next few days as your GI system is *still* recuperating 😊.

• Like 4
(edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 1:05 PM, BetyBee said:

I really like ginger tea. It settles my stomach. However, I got distracted today and put EmergenC in my hot water when I meant to put in a ginger tea bag. Boy, did it bubble up! It didn't taste too bad either. Senior moment, I guess!

I always drink mine hot.  The only time I do it differently is if I'm about to board a flight or am on a flight, when I just tip the crystals down my throat (I'm probably wrong to think it does any good, but I reckon we need all the help we can get to avoid the crap that floats around aeroplanes.

On 3/17/2024 at 5:53 PM, PRgal said:

Little guy had a playdate with a friend from school today and they spent an hour in his backyard digging/hunting for insects.  Just how long does this phase last?  Parents of boys, please help!

Just wait until he runs out of the house in nothing but his underwear.  :-)

On 3/18/2024 at 5:32 PM, Browncoat said:

Maybe the mom will get lucky and the baby girl will identify as a boy.  

Let's go back to the days before people were able to find out the genitals of their babies before the babies are born.  Let the genders of all the babies be a surprise!

I agree.  I hate this kind of thing - you find out and are disappointed and you're already set up to potentially treating your second, unwanted-gendered child differently.  If you wait until the babies are born, you're going to be much more inclined to immediately fall in love with them for what they are.

On a similar topic, please wait for three months before you tell anyone you're pregnant.  The chances of miscarriage are relatively high during the first trimester, and getting a whole bunch of people excited and then having to tell them you lost the baby is awful.  It's also a wonderful secret to have with your partner for a couple of months.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 11
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m so glad your bout with food poisoning is done. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Good for you for staying home and taking care of yourself. Take it easy, diet-wise, for the next few days as your GI system is *still* recuperating 😊.

I’m not eating much. I need to recover lol

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

Just wait until he runs out of the house in nothing but his underwear.  :-)

He's 5 1/2 years old!  I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen anymore.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 6
34 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Fun fact: there are 2.5 million ants per person 

I did not know there are that many ants in the world 

I think I have more than my fair share!

• LOL 7
(edited)
11 hours ago, ABay said:

I've suggested to my colleagues that we change ants to mice and use it in our library.

It was such a relief when we decided not to police eating in the library anymore. 
Of course, it required someone to clean up after the heathens — which sometimes meant me or even my boss.

So our sign would have had to be something like:

• PLEASE PUT YOUR LEFTOVER FOOD & TRASH INTO THE GARBAGE CANS.
  • Mice love leftovers.
    514cba5f6b107bcf5ea1cad797087ee0.jpg bite-of-dessert-bread-crumbs-free-vector.jpg
  • If you feed the mice, they will learn how to read.
  • Knowledge is POWER.
  • POWER CORRUPTS.
  • The mice will turn evil and take over the world.
  • DO YOUR PART AND SAVE US FROM AN EVIL MOUSE APOCALYPSE.

Actually, it was just one mouse, and the students were mostly afraid of it until it was captured. This was a very suburban college, not NYU or University of Chicago or anything like that.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
(edited)

So I didn’t make it all the way to Easter without using Reddit. I have been using the browser version, but haven’t been logging in or posting; just searching things in Google (as in “bad job market 2024 Reddit”) and reading threads. I’m probably going to go back on the app in another day or two to clean out my subs and maybe start a new account (one of the positive things about Reddit is how often you can nuke your account and start over).

Aside from all the stuff I mentioned about wanting to free myself from fandom drama (and feeling successful now that I also left a fandom Facebook group where I was bullied), I think the other big thing I learned is that I don’t need Reddit like I thought I did. Life has gone on just fine and no differently without having the app and being able to check my notifications or scroll endlessly. I still have some of the same life issues but no social media app or hobby can take those away. You just have to find ways to deal or make plans to fix them without being online all the time. 

Also, even though I don’t feel like I’ve fully resolved some of the disappointment I have with not fitting in with some fandom circles or feeling envious of more “popular” fans or fanfic writers, I’ve realized that it really is much better to talk to a few open-minded people who are respectful of my TV opinions even if they don’t agree than feel like I’m begging for validation from a hive mind group of strangers and wishing they liked me. More friends isn’t always better. 

I also think that even though Easter is this Sunday, I should try to arrange for some more “unplugged” time on a regular basis. Like maybe every Friday afternoon into Saturday morning, muting all social media apps to focus on other things. I may do what a friend of mine did for Lent where she got off all social media but kept Facebook messenger in case someone needed her and so she didn’t cut off all contact from her friends and family. That seems like a good balance because with messenger you only talk to the people who you want to talk to and you don’t spend time endlessly scrolling for new messages. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 5
  • Applause 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

So I didn’t make it all the way to Easter without using Reddit. I have been using the browser version, but haven’t been logging in or posting; just searching things in Google (as in “bad job market 2024 Reddit”) and reading threads. I’m probably going to go back on the app in another day or two to clean out my subs and maybe start a new account (one of the positive things about Reddit is how often you can nuke your account and start over).

Aside from all the stuff I mentioned about wanting to free myself from fandom drama (and feeling successful now that I also left a fandom Facebook group where I was bullied), I think the other big thing I learned is that I don’t need Reddit like I thought I did. Life has gone on just fine and no differently without having the app and being able to check my notifications or scroll endlessly. I still have some of the same life issues but no social media app or hobby can take those away. You just have to find ways to deal or make plans to fix them without being online all the time. 

Also, even though I don’t feel like I’ve fully resolved some of the disappointment I have with not fitting in with some fandom circles or feeling envious of more “popular” fans or fanfic writers, I’ve realized that it really is much better to talk to a few open-minded people who are respectful of my TV opinions even if they don’t agree than feel like I’m begging for validation from a hive mind group of strangers and wishing they liked me. More friends isn’t always better. 

I also think that even though Easter is this Sunday, I should try to arrange for some more “unplugged” time on a regular basis. Like maybe every Friday afternoon into Saturday morning, muting all social media apps to focus on other things. I may do what a friend of mine did for Lent where she got off all social media but kept Facebook messenger in case someone needed her and so she didn’t cut off all contact from her friends and family. That seems like a good balance because with messenger you only talk to the people who you want to talk to and you don’t spend time endlessly scrolling for new messages. 

Wow, @Cloud9Shopper, this post seems to indicate you gained a lot of insight and growth from your (Lenten?) break from Reddit. 

Very inspiring! 

Now I just need to decide which online addiction I'm going to tank for a while, LOL. NY Times crossword? Wordle? PrimeTimer? Jeopardy!? Google????

Or maybe TV instead of the Web?

🤔

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Wow, @Cloud9Shopper, this post seems to indicate you gained a lot of insight and growth from your (Lenten?) break from Reddit. 

Very inspiring! 

Now I just need to decide which online addiction I'm going to tank for a while, LOL. NY Times crossword? Wordle? PrimeTimer? Jeopardy!? Google????

🤔

Not Prime Timer! We would be so sad. 😥

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

I've started subscribing to various Substack newsletters.  I even have one of my own.  I also have a blog under my own URL, but I really haven't updated that in ages (okay, I did post something around the Lunar New Year, which was just over a month ago).  I've found various recipe Substacks as well as beauty and general culture.  Seems like a fun bunch and many are civilized people.  The only issue is that most are freemium.  So for many, you can subscribe, but only certain posts are free and the remaining are for paid subscribers only.  Or you can read everything but not comment.  Right now, mine is free for everyone, but that's only because I don't have that many subscribers!  I'm trying not to look at my IG or FB too much, and have considered logging out of my personal Instagram and focusing only on my professional one.  

• Useful 6

Has anyone ever purchased anything from AliExpress?  Is it legit or scammy?  I'm looking for a lightweight, collapsible folding luggage cart, and they have two that look promising.  Assuming, of course, that they're real.

• Like 2
On 3/27/2024 at 12:12 PM, oliviabenson said:

All better. Had a plain salad for dinner and kept it down. 

Stayed home today just in case! 

Glad to hear you have recovered!

• Like 4
22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Very inspiring! 

🤔

I recently gave up Words With Friends and Royal Match, 2 places where I wasted too much time! I didn't even like Royal Match, but I had downloaded it for my grandkids and kept going with it. I listen to a lot of podcasts and read books, of course. I had played WWF for many years and I'm surprised that I don't miss it at all! 

Yesterday I cleaned the MBR closet and got rid of a ton of clothes. I also have a bag of books to donate, mostly book club books I'll never re-read. We also hung up a few pictures I got from my Mom's estate. I ordered floating shelves for some of them. Those will come tomorrow. I'm going to put them in one of the guest rooms. My guests are typically family and they may want to pick up the pics for a closer look, so I decided not to hang them. There are a few collages, especially of my Mom and my Grandma. I have to attack the other closets next!

• Like 10
  • Applause 5
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Has anyone ever purchased anything from AliExpress?  Is it legit or scammy?  I'm looking for a lightweight, collapsible folding luggage cart, and they have two that look promising.  Assuming, of course, that they're real.

Quoting myself to say I found the same items on Amazon.  They might still be scammy, but I somehow feel better (-ish) about purchasing from Amazon.  I can at least use an Amazon gift card and not hand out my credit card information to some random website.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Quoting myself to say I found the same items on Amazon.  They might still be scammy, but I somehow feel better (-ish) about purchasing from Amazon.  I can at least use an Amazon gift card and not hand out my credit card information to some random website.

Speaking of Amazon, I've been looking there for slip ons. I take a 5W. I can't find any anywhere.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Speaking of Amazon, I've been looking there for slip ons. I take a 5W. I can't find any anywhere.

I wear a size 5.5 M (6 in athletic shoes). Do people ever make comments about the size of your feet?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wear a size 5.5 M (6 in athletic shoes). Do people ever make comments about the size of your feet?

I'm a 5M (sometimes even 4.5).  People have freaked out, including one woman who looked disgusted.

• Mind Blown 5
  • Fire 2
1 minute ago, PRgal said:

I'm a 5M (sometimes even 4.5).  People have freaked out, including one woman who looked disgusted.

Where do these people get the idea that they can make comments about a part of someone else's body? I've never told another person, "Wow! You have huge feet!" or, "Gee, your hands are enormous!". 

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yes. All my life. I'm just really small. I can't help it. 

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1

I was an 8.5, but after I lost all that weight last year (SIGH-I was at Doha at this time last year, waiting for the connection to Jaipur!), I went down a size! And that’s never happened before! I discovered this when I was at trial, and my heels kept slipping out of the pumps I had brought to wear. Ended up wearing my flats, which fit a bit better. Who knew?

But I’ve always felt like my feet were too big.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 3/29/2024 at 6:45 AM, Cloud9Shopper said:

what a friend of mine did for Lent where she got off all social media but kept Facebook messenger in case someone needed her and so she didn’t cut off all contact from her friends and family.

Not using social media would cut off all contact from her friends and family?  Those closest to her wouldn't call, email, or text her if she didn't leave that one avenue of social media open?  I just looked up how long Lent lasts, and it's 40 days.  It's pretty sad if people normally in regular contact would let over a month go by because she wasn't on Facebook proper.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Where do these people get the idea that they can make comments about a part of someone else's body? I've never told another person, "Wow! You have huge feet!" or, "Gee, your hands are enormous!". 

People seem to think it’s fine to make comments on smaller people for some reason.  But only if they don’t have dwarfism.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Several people said wow you have giant feet. Gee I have not noticed that. Jeez. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Fire 3
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

People seem to think it’s fine to make comments on smaller people for some reason.  But only if they don’t have dwarfism.  

The most bizarre short person comment I got was when I met someone with whom I had worked with over the phone for years. Upon meeting, she said, "You don't SOUND so short." Like small people are supposed to sound like we're huffing helium? WTF? 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 8
  • Sad 4
  • Fire 1
On 3/29/2024 at 10:56 AM, oliviabenson said:

IMO Primetimer is going to be over this year.

Curious as to what makes you think that...care to share more?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, oliviabenson said:

Go look at the counting on thread 

https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/2401-counting-on/

The royals forum shut down too

I don't see any metrics that would indicate "shutting down" is being contemplated as a whole...and the royals forum was *shut down* by the powers that be, not because of lack of participation. I realize this is a commercial enterprise so I would assume the only thing that matters is if they are still successful at selling ad space and enough people are coming to see those ads..along with the content. If I am missing something else, do tell!

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

eBay is your friend! Search in women's shoes, by size and location (I only buy things from within the U.S., due to shipping costs and also filtering for unscrupulous sellers), and if you prefer, by New With Tags...and then always, always check the seller's feedback before bidding (if it is a true auction) and the shipping costs so you get a true cost. My mom wore a 5W also (so I wound up getting her shoes on line because no retail store seems to carry any size under a 6 these days). Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Not using social media would cut off all contact from her friends and family?  Those closest to her wouldn't call, email, or text her if she didn't leave that one avenue of social media open?  I just looked up how long Lent lasts, and it's 40 days.  It's pretty sad if people normally in regular contact would let over a month go by because she wasn't on Facebook proper.

I deactivated Facebook during COVID to take a bit of a break and a lot of people never reached out to me to say hi or check in. I’m back on it now but I get virtually no interaction when I post so for some people, sadly yes it seems like they can’t interact without Facebook. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
28 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Curious as to what makes you think that...care to share more?

27 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Go look at the counting on thread 

<<snip>

The royals forum shut down too

The Royals Forum was shut down due to one toxic thread, which was already discussed and debated pages back and told not open to discuss further. 

24 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I don't see any metrics that would indicate "shutting down" is being contemplated as a whole...and the royals forum was *shut down* by the powers that be, not because of lack of participation. I realize this is a commercial enterprise so I would assume the only thing that matters is if they are still successful at selling ad space and enough people are coming to see those ads..along with the content. If I am missing something else, do tell!

There isn’t as far as I can see. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

The most bizarre short person comment I got was when I met someone with whom I had worked with over the phone for years. Upon meeting, she said, "You don't SOUND so short." Like small people are supposed to sound like we're huffing helium? WTF? 

Yep.  Apparently we're either supposed to sound like Munchkins or very young children (it's the voice I like to call Hong Kong Valley Girl/vocal fry.  A certain segment of young (and now, middle aged!) women from Hong Kong speak with a certain tone which I think started in the 80s.  I saw it on imported TV shows and movies when I was young).  

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not just smaller people.

Well, we know we're not supposed to make comments on larger people if that's what you mean.  But we smaller people are a free-for-all.  

• Like 7
33 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Well, we know we're not supposed to make comments on larger people

Boy, did much of society misplace that memo.

• Like 9
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 5
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

You're saying people make comments about a person being large to their faces?

As with anything, people are more apt to be directly rude like that (meaning talking to someone rather than about them) online than in person, but, yes, of course. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

Onward to something cheerier. Our daughter & family are here for the weekend so we've been out & about. It's been so nice seeing all the extended families at museums and restaurants. The grandparents are beaming at the grandchildren (just like we've been doing 🩷). 

• Like 5
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I recently made the decision to stop having my hair colored.  I cannot believe the number of people who are appalled by MY decision to do what I wish with MY hair and have felt free to tell me so.  

It's been 3 1/2 months and it is multi-colors at this stage - dark brown, lighter brown, reddish, steel gray, silver gray, and white.  I'm very curious to see what it will be like in a few months.  I have hair just like my mom's, so I have to pull out some old family pictures and find out when she went from salt & pepper to white all over.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 8

I stopped coloring my hair several years ago. It's very freeing not having to watch my roots anymore! Anyway, I took my daughter to get her hair cut in a 2 person salon. As I read a magazine and waited for her, the other stylist informed me that my hair made me look 10 years older (I'd never met him before) and that I should color it stat! He was so rude. My stylist told me that my hair was beautiful and I shouldn't take his comments to heart. It was really hurtful and I never asked for his opinion!

• Mind Blown 6
  • Hugs 6
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
1 minute ago, BetyBee said:

I stopped coloring my hair several years ago. It's very freeing not having to watch my roots anymore! Anyway, I took my daughter to get her hair cut in a 2 person salon. As I read a magazine and waited for her, the other stylist informed me that my hair made me look 10 years older (I'd never met him before) and that I should color it stat! He was so rude. My stylist told me that my hair was beautiful and I shouldn't take his comments to heart. It was really hurtful and I never asked for his opinion!

Likely that rude stylist will wind up in a SuperCuts for low wages and lower tips.

I have used SuperCuts to save money, and sometimes there are new, just-starting-out, or just-moved-here stylists who are very perky and personable. 
And all of the SuperCuts stylists do give adequate haircuts.
(Caveat: My salon experiences are not many, so I can't really judge, plus I have "good hair.")
But the Supercuts "stylists" who are still there year after year (I would go every 6 months) do not have personalities that will "win friends and influence people."

Mom and my sister used to criticize me for not coloring my hair, even though it was actually still pretty dark until I had chemo when I was 63. 

Then my sister finally stopped coloring hers (which Mom thought was scandalous). 

But then when Mom couldn't drive any more and couldn't physically reach to touch up her hair between appointments, she developed the "skunk" pattern in the back (white stripe surrounded by black hair). And this was before that would be "cool" (if it ever was). 
So, I finally told her it looked like a skunk, which was rude of me, but which she needed to hear, and she let it grow out.
It looked beautiful silvery white.
Mom had good hair too.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 5
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

You're saying people make comments about a person being large to their faces? 

Yes. How do I know? Personal experience on the receiving end.

• Hugs 11
  • Sad 3
  • Fire 2

Oh. BTW: Happy Easter to those who observe, whether bunnies or resurrection (bunnies do multiply so prolifically; perhaps they do represent resurrection). 

My daughter, like my mother, wants to instill the norm of the Easter Bunny into the psyche of my grandchildren. Her husband is like me: Meh. 
But any excuse to see my little lambchops👶🏻👶🏼 is a good excuse. 
🐣

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7