Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

When you want to bounce the light back at the tailgater, you move the mirror to the right, so it's essentially angled straight back.

Thanks for the idea--anything to annoy annoying drivers is a plus in my book.  But in my case it's not going to work because the car is so low, my rearview mirror points straight back into the tailgater's own lights, and if it's a pickup, probably not even that high.

• Like 3
On 1/19/2024 at 11:47 AM, shapeshifter said:

I'm sure we've sorted this out before, but I lived in the Mt. Shasta area from 1978-1997, mostly in Lake Shastina, the so-called "banana belt" (because of fewer inches of snowfall). I'm pretty sure you lived there later?

My oldest daughter goes back every few years. 
In hindsight I realize all that cozy wood heat gave her asthma. 
Here in Rochester NY almost all the homes still have fireplaces, but they aren't used much anymore.

I moved there in 1991, three weeks before my son was born (I am sure he "engineered" the entire move so he could grow up in Mt. Shasta, which was quite the perfect place to raise a kid), and we bought a home here at the beach in 2009 and went back and forth twice a year (spring and fall in Mt. Shasta, winter and summer here) for five years and then sold up in Mt. Shasta. Lake Shastina is a different world 😸 - much less snow and kinda flatish, no?

As to the wood heat, I am entirely unconvinced that it leads to asthma - certainly none of us, including my son who lived with it for 18 full years before heading off to college, never developed any asthma, and I don't know anyone else who raised their kids there that has reported this. IMHO, asthma is an auto-immune reaction and my friends that have had it report great success with a gluten free diet and severely restricting sugar. If you live in a place with real winters and the power goes out, what else are you going to do to stay warm? I was once there by myself for five days with no power and continuous snow - I kept the stove going (shoveling out to the wood store twice a day - lost 7 lbs!) and cooked on it, melted snow for drinking and washing water, and had a very nice time with just me and the cat.

I don't need a fireplace, but I won't mind one - they are so fundamentally lovely of a winter evening. (My next door neighbor put in one of those fake fireplaces but it was both expensive and clearly *fake*!)

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I moved there in 1991, three weeks before my son was born (I am sure he "engineered" the entire move so he could grow up in Mt. Shasta, which was quite the perfect place to raise a kid), and we bought a home here at the beach in 2009 and went back and forth twice a year (spring and fall in Mt. Shasta, winter and summer here) for five years and then sold up in Mt. Shasta. Lake Shastina is a different world 😸 - much less snow and kinda flatish, no?

As to the wood heat, I am entirely unconvinced that it leads to asthma - certainly none of us, including my son who lived with it for 18 full years before heading off to college, never developed any asthma, and I don't know anyone else who raised their kids there that has reported this. IMHO, asthma is an auto-immune reaction and my friends that have had it report great success with a gluten free diet and severely restricting sugar. If you live in a place with real winters and the power goes out, what else are you going to do to stay warm? I was once there by myself for five days with no power and continuous snow - I kept the stove going (shoveling out to the wood store twice a day - lost 7 lbs!) and cooked on it, melted snow for drinking and washing water, and had a very nice time with just me and the cat.

I don't need a fireplace, but I won't mind one - they are so fundamentally lovely of a winter evening. (My next door neighbor put in one of those fake fireplaces but it was both expensive and clearly *fake*!)

My parents had two fireplaces in their house. One in the living room and another in the dining room. They converted both to gas at one point because my dad got sick of splitting wood. After a few years, they converted the living room one back to wood because, as you say, it's just not the same.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I dunno about adjusting the mirror so it shines back at the tailgating jerk. Years ago? Sure. Today, with so many people armed & easily angered? That can be quite risky.

Yes, it can be scary out there even if you are not the driver initially at fault. 

Nevertheless, I just stick with Mom's advice when she was teaching me to drive in the 1960s on very dark Riverwoods Road in Lake County IL at night:
“Don't let them push you.”
— meaning: Just let them go around.

About 10 years ago, in Lake County, IL, after stopping at the stop light at the end of IL-60 and checking for traffic coming from my left, I pulled out to my right onto US 41. The speed limit changes at that point from 55 mph to 45 mph. There is a curve in the road to the left, so I did not see a car speeding into the 45 mph zone at 65+. There is another stop light 1/4 of a mile down the road (hence the reduced speed limit). At that stop light, the speeding car driver rolled down his window and yelled at me (he had to change lanes to avoid rear ending me). I ignored him. He spit on my windshield. 

Later a coworker said that sounded very scary and that I was lucky he didn't come out of his truck and accost (little old) me. 

Meanwhile back in the present:
My daughters tell me I should go the speed of other cars, even if it is over 20 mph over the speed limit. 

I just tell them I am sticking with their grandma's advice: Don't let them push you.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Nothing on TV that interests me so I'm watching Dodgeball, only during the "games". Loved the first game between the pathetic guys and the girl scout team. I couldn't stop laughing. 

There’s so much to watch.  “ Gilded Age” on HBO and “Belgravia” on Amazon Prime.  Both great series if you like that sort of period movies, which I do.  So many movies too.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

There’s so much to watch.  “ Gilded Age” on HBO and “Belgravia” on Amazon Prime.  Both great series if you like that sort of period movies, which I do.  So many movies too.

Maybe I'll try Belgravia. We don't have the premium channels. I made a note to watch the CNN special re: Martha Stewart on 01/28. That should be interesting. Who else went to prison and turned it into a positive PR experience? I wonder if she kept in touch with some of her fellow inmates (whom she worked with, teaching different skills, while there). 

• Like 4
(edited)
On 1/14/2024 at 7:40 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Bobby Darin & Stokely Carmichael went to Bronx Science!  I'm glad you survived that way-too-long walk to & from school. I had a long walk too, but it was 6/10 of a mile & was an hour north of the city (but I did it 4 x a day as the cafeteria was too noisy & smelly 🙄).

My ex-husband also went to Bronx Science - he graduated in '79 I think.

My friend and I would walk home from school sometimes to save the 2 (old) pennies bus fare to buy sweeties (no school busses).  I just checked on Google Maps - 1.8 miles.  We were younger than 10.  I don't know why it never occurred to me to look it up before, but it was fun to see our old house (well, driveway)!  My late father would have been pleased to see someone was gardening when the photo was taken.  He loved his garden.

On 1/18/2024 at 12:14 PM, Browncoat said:

Google and all its friends (gmail, etc.) are in French on my work computer today.  No, I do not live in France!  I've changed it back to English several times, but it still wants to be in French!

Mine were in British English a couple of days ago!  Very weird!  I live in the States but maybe I was missing my homeland and my laptop picked up on it?  😄

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 5
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I'm not finding much to watch either. Strictly cable here, but I do have Amazon Prime. May be time to dive in there and see what's available.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I'm not finding much to watch either. Strictly cable here, but I do have Amazon Prime. May be time to dive in there and see what's available.

These days every time I dive in looking for new TV shows to watch I come up empty handed even on streaming, and we have pretty much all the big and even a lot of the little networks too.  I could spend days and days searching and get frustrated in the process.  There's too much out there now and I'm just not hitting it right with anything.  I watched a show last night about escalators on the Science Channel and found that more interesting than a lot of the fictional stuff out there these days.  I recently tried two shows on Hulu and didn't like either of them (Feud and the new one about murder on a cruise ship).  I think a lot of the stuff that appeals to younger people these days doesn't appeal to me.  That wasn't the case until just a couple of years ago.  I don't know what happened all of a sudden.  I sometimes feel like I woke up in the Twilight Zone and not just because of TV.

12 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Oh I love "Gilded Age" but that's an exception for me.  I want to like other period stuff but again, just not hitting it right.  Maybe I'll try Belgravia.

• Like 4
On 1/18/2024 at 11:40 AM, peacheslatour said:

What type of collagen do you take, if you don't mind sharing?

I know this was for someone else but I started taking collagen several months ago and I just can't believe the improvement in my symptoms.  I have bad arthritis at the base of my left thumb and had lower back and muscle aches that last Winter were so bad it was getting debilitating.  This year it's all GONE and I think the collagen has a lot to do with it.  I've also started taking magnesium, turmeric/circumin, selenium, glucosamine, fish oil and alpha lipoic acid in addition to my mega B supplement and I think those are helping too.  I have a suspicion that the turmeric is making a big difference that I didn't see coming.

I'm taking a tablespoon of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides daily in my tea.  I often put it in smoothies because even though it's supposed to be tasteless I can taste it in tea.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

If you're looking for comfort food and/or a blast from the past - I've been watching Frasier and Northern Exposure on Prime.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Thanks! I do watch Frasier on StartTV on my cable already, but I will look for Northern Exposure on  Prime. I used to like that, I had forgotten all about it!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I recommend Love On the Spectrum. On Netflix. Very nice show. Second season just started. 

I found lots of old movies on Tubi tv.  It’s free too.  Trying to get back to reading books again.

• Like 4
(edited)

Just finished frying up a batch of meatballs. Yes, I know it's healthier to bake, but we just like them better fried. Right now they're cooking in a double batch of sauce. I usually make a big pot of meat sauce one Sunday a month and then freeze 3 containers for the next 3 Sundays. But with last month's holidays, my schedule is all off, and we've not had a Sunday sauce in weeks.

This is one meal that is a labor of love because it's a lot of standing on my feet, but there's nothing better than homemade meatballs and sauce, imo.

Edited by ECM1231
  • Like 4
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

These days every time I dive in looking for new TV shows to watch I come up empty handed even on streaming, and we have pretty much all the big and even a lot of the little networks too.  I could spend days and days searching and get frustrated in the process.  There's too much out there now and I'm just not hitting it right with anything.  I watched a show last night about escalators on the Science Channel and found that more interesting than a lot of the fictional stuff out there these days.  I recently tried two shows on Hulu and didn't like either of them (Feud and the new one about murder on a cruise ship).  I think a lot of the stuff that appeals to younger people these days doesn't appeal to me.  That wasn't the case until just a couple of years ago.  I don't know what happened all of a sudden.  I sometimes feel like I woke up in the Twilight Zone and not just because of TV.

Oh I love "Gilded Age" but that's an exception for me.  I want to like other period stuff but again, just not hitting it right.  Maybe I'll try Belgravia.

I LOVED Belgravia.  Watched six episodes in one day.  Very gripping and fast paced.  Don’t know when Season 2 is starting.

2 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Just finished frying up a batch of meatballs. Yes, I know it's healthier to bake, but we just like them better fried. Right now they're cooking in a double batch of sauce. I usually make a big pot of meat sauce one Sunday a month and then freeze 3 containers for the next 3 Sundays. But with last month's holidays, my schedule is all off, and we've not had a Sunday sauce in weeks.

This is one meal that is a labor of love because it's a lot of standing on my feet, but there's nothing better than homemade meatballs and sauce, imo.

I have to throw Rigotta on top.  It’s his favorite out of everything.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Btw I should say that love on the spectrum season two is the US version. There was an earlier Australian version. Also good. 

22 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Yes but I also add hot Italian sausage. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes but I also add hot Italian sausage.

For us, it's sweet sausage. I do that every once in awhile. I haven't made braciole in ages, but that's one of my favorites, too.

Kristen, I'm all out of ricotta, so just the romano cheese will have to suffice.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

If you're looking for comfort food and/or a blast from the past - I've been watching Frasier and Northern Exposure on Prime.

That's right! I've got to remember to watch Northern Exposure. I heard they use the original music on Amazon. It's one of my favorite shows.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That's right! I've got to remember to watch Northern Exposure. I heard they use the original music on Amazon. It's one of my favorite shows.

It’s not quite what I thought I remembered watching 30ish years ago, but still fun. I don’t remember enough to know if it’s all the original music or not, but once in a while I’ll Shazam something and it will come up as the original. 

Come over to the forum here if you decide to watch!

21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

“Don't let them push you.”
— meaning: Just let them go around.

About 10 years ago, in Lake County, IL, after stopping at the stop light at the end of IL-60 and checking for traffic coming from my left, I pulled out to my right onto US 41. The speed limit changes at that point from 55 mph to 45 mph. There is a curve in the road to the left, so I did not see a car speeding into the 45 mph zone at 65+. There is another stop light 1/4 of a mile down the road (hence the reduced speed limit). At that stop light, the speeding car driver rolled down his window and yelled at me (he had to change lanes to avoid rear ending me). I ignored him. He spit on my windshield. 

You definitely want people like that in front of you.  That way they can't follow you if you make a turn.  And you can make a turn and lose them if they're in front of you. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
On 1/15/2024 at 12:04 PM, BlueSkies said:

It is what it is 

That's a good mantra and can actually help in difficult times.

On 1/16/2024 at 1:03 PM, peacheslatour said:

It's been so fucking cold here in Seattle that I haven't taken a shower since Thursday. I mean in the low teens at night and mid twenties during the day. We have an old house with no central heating, just space heaters and radiators. We can't use anything too high watt because we'll blow fuses. I'm miserable.

Hopefully it's warmed up for you! A few years ago I picked up a heated throw from Aldi and it's so comfy. My office has a large, old sliding glass door and it's unbearable in here without that blanket once it gets under 30 degrees.

5 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I found lots of old movies on Tubi tv.  It’s free too.  Trying to get back to reading books again.

Yes, I often have old shows from Tubi, Freevee or the Roku channel playing in the background.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I watch a lot of old-time TV on Prime/Freevee.  Right now I'm watching Perry Mason and I recently went through the original Hawaii Five-O.  I cannot believe that my preteen self thought Jack Lord was all that!  In fairness, he's quite fine in the early seasons (very JFK-esque), but then suddenly he's in those 70s suits with the wide ties and he has those awful sideburns.  

Prime also has a lot of documentaries, which I enjoy.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

That’s it! It takes place 25 years after the first season.

Exciting, and moves along so fast.  It’s probably nine episodes again.

Edited by kristen111
2 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I watch a lot of old-time TV on Prime/Freevee.  Right now I'm watching Perry Mason and I recently went through the original Hawaii Five-O.  I cannot believe that my preteen self thought Jack Lord was all that!  In fairness, he's quite fine in the early seasons (very JFK-esque), but then suddenly he's in those 70s suits with the wide ties and he has those awful sideburns.  

Prime also has a lot of documentaries, which I enjoy.

I enjoy them all too.  We watch the detective ones of yesterday.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I watch a lot of old-time TV on Prime/Freevee.  Right now I'm watching Perry Mason…

25 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I enjoy them all too.  We watch the detective ones of yesterday.

I watch Perry Mason and Matlock reruns, mostly on MeTV, but I can find them on other streaming services too. I enjoy the comedic bits in Matlock.

I just watched S1.E1 of PBS's Miss Scarlet & The Duke. It's well done, but probably too dark and gratuitously violent for me to stick with it.

Soon-to-be returning or starting shows I'm looking forward to are these CBS shows:

• Ghosts (returning February 15 — great cast and writing)
  • So Help Me Todd (returning February 15, starring Marcia Gay Harden with a fabulous wardrobe and Skylar Astin)
  • Elsbeth (new spinoff of The Good Wife, starring Carrie Preston, February 29)
  • Matlock (reboot with Kathy Bates as Matlock, Fall 2024)
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Soon-to-be returning or starting shows I'm looking forward to are these CBS shows:

I am so pumped for this show's return :D. I've been doing a rewatch before the season premiere. I've missed this show and these characters, it'll be nice to have them back!

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I've been thinking about making a pot of meat gravy all week but these days I only have it like 3 times a year because of our diets, which sucks because it's my heritage and just so good.  I think the last time I had it was around Thanksgiving and the next time would be Easter.  I think I'm going to give in and make it now anyway.  I know I won't get any arguments from Mr. Yeah No, LOL.  And BTW, in my family we always fried the meatballs too. You are right, there's nothing better.  I feel like I'm connecting with my family in heaven when I make it.  I watched my grandma make it and have spent many years trying to live up to her cooking, which was amazing.

Funny story, but my father, who was not Italian, was determined to write down grandma's meatball recipe so he followed her around in the kitchen once a long time ago with a pad and pen in an effort to quantify everything she did.  He ended up with a written recipe that I use to this day.  It's perfection.  I miss my family!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 6
  • Love 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I watch Perry Mason and Matlock reruns, mostly on MeTV, but I can find them on other streaming services too. I enjoy the comedic bits in Matlock.

I just watched S1.E1 of PBS's Miss Scarlet & The Duke. It's well done, but probably too dark and gratuitously violent for me to stick with it.

• So Help Me Todd (returning February 15, starring Marcia Gay Harden with a fabulous wardrobe and Skylar Astin)
  • Elsbeth (new spinoff of The Good Wife, starring Carrie Preston, February 29)
  • Matlock (reboot with Kathy Bates as Matlock, Fall 2024)

I often watch Matlock on the Pluto channel and had no idea they were doing a reboot. How fun! I hope it's as good as the original.

Also, I've been meaning to watch Ghosts but never have. Glad to know it's a great watch!

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Funny story, but my father, who was not Italian, was determined to write down grandma's meatball recipe so he followed her around in the kitchen once a long time ago with a pad and pen in an effort to quantify everything she did.  He ended up with a written recipe that I use to this day.  It's perfection.  I miss my family!

That's a lovely tribute to your grandmother, Yeah No, that your dad wanted her recipe for meatballs. In my home, my dad was the weekend cook. Usually, it was steak on Saturday night and a meat sauce with meatballs, spareribs, braciole, and sausage on Sundays. He'd fry up the meatballs and save one on the side for my sister and I to share when we got back from Mass. My mom was a wonderful cook and could certainly make a good sauce, but dad enjoyed doing it, so she let him. But I'm not sure, exactly, how my dad learned to cook sauce, unless it was from my mom. His own mom had died in childbirth with him, so he had a difficult childhood, and no mother figure. 

I learned by watching my dad, but there never was any sort of written recipe. One of my non-Italian friends once asked me for a recipe for meatballs, and I was hard pressed to give her one. I could give the ingredients: ground beef, Romano cheese, eggs, parsley, bread crumbs, garlic, and even the amount of meat (no less than 1.5 pounds) but it's hard to say. I mean maybe 4 eggs, but depending on how much meat, maybe 5. How much bread crumbs? How much cheese? I honestly have no numbers. It just looks and feels right to me. I suppose there are recipes out there, but no one in my family has ever used one. 

My dad died in 2019 at age 90 but my mom's been gone since 1987; she passed at age 55. Only 2 aunts remain, and both have dementia of some sort, so yeah, I miss my family, too. Hugs!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 6
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

That's a lovely tribute to your grandmother, Yeah No, that your dad wanted her recipe for meatballs. In my home, my dad was the weekend cook. Usually, it was steak on Saturday night and a meat sauce with meatballs, spareribs, braciole, and sausage on Sundays. He'd fry up the meatballs and save one on the side for my sister and I to share when we got back from Mass. My mom was a wonderful cook and could certainly make a good sauce, but dad enjoyed doing it, so she let him. But I'm not sure, exactly, how my dad learned to cook sauce, unless it was from my mom. His own mom had died in childbirth with him, so he had a difficult childhood, and no mother figure. 

I learned by watching my dad, but there never was any sort of written recipe. One of my non-Italian friends once asked me for a recipe for meatballs, and I was hard pressed to give her one. I could give the ingredients: ground beef, Romano cheese, eggs, parsley, bread crumbs, garlic, and even the amount of meat (no less than 1.5 pounds) but it's hard to say. I mean maybe 4 eggs, but depending on how much meat, maybe 5. How much bread crumbs? How much cheese? I honestly have no numbers. It just looks and feels right to me. I suppose there are recipes out there, but no one in my family has ever used one. 

My dad died in 2019 at age 90 but my mom's been gone since 1987; she passed at age 55. Only 2 aunts remain, and both have dementia of some sort, so yeah, I miss my family, too. Hugs!

Awww, I can relate....((Hugs)) to you too!

My mom was a gifted cook too but she was actually better at French food, having watched Julia Child since day 1 with me and buying her books (I have a first edition of "Mastering").  She tried to imitate her mother's Italian food but always felt she came up short.  I feel that way too.  Grandma's food was just that good.  Relatives used to invite themselves over to have her food, LOL.  They'd say, "Put the pot on, we're coming over"!

My mother died in June of 2001 so she missed Sept. 11 by a hair.  She worked in that neighborhood for years before retiring due to medical issues in 1979.  I remember when the WTC went up, we used to watch the construction. 

As most people know my Dad died in 2020 of Covid at 92.  He was my last close living relative.  I'm an only child and don't even have first cousins.  I know a few of my first cousins once removed and second cousins online through the genealogy sites but I don't know them that well and we only connect online once or twice a year..

I was looking through my mother's recipe folder the other day and found a recipe I don't remember seeing in there before for something my grandma used to make that was like a meat calzone with capicola, provolone and sauteed onions, etc. that was so good people used to beg her to make it.  My mother did what my father did for the meatballs and followed her around with a pad and pen and wrote it down.   My mother and I used to try to make it but somehow it never came out as good.  I'm thinking of trying to make it myself for Easter since Grandma always made it on Easter in addition to everything else.  The only thing that intimidates me is making the dough.  I'm not a dough person and even though the instructions are detailed I don't know if I'm up to the task.  And it's not the kind of dough you can just get from the supermarket or pizza shop either.  I'm going to attempt it, though.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I was looking through my mother's recipe folder the other day and found a recipe I don't remember seeing in there before for something my grandma used to make that was like a meat calzone with capicola, provolone and sauteed onions, etc. that was so good people used to beg her to make it.  My mother did what my father did for the meatballs and followed her around with a pad and pen and wrote it down.   My mother and I used to try to make it but somehow it never came out as good.  I'm thinking of trying to make it myself for Easter since Grandma always made it on Easter in addition to everything else.  The only thing that intimidates me is making the dough.  I'm not a dough person and even though the instructions are detailed I don't know if I'm up to the task.  And it's not the kind of dough you can just get from the supermarket or pizza shop either.  I'm going to attempt it, though.

Back when I used to cook, my parents came to visit, and Dad, who really did like to cook, filled several index cards from my recipe box, recording the quantities and steps and times while I made a batch of 5 loaves of bread for the week.

I scanned those index cards into a PDF and shared them with my youngest daughter and only son-in-law when he was into making bread (before the 2 little Lambchops filled their lives with filled diapers).

But it’s my whole wheat flour tortillas that my daughter still tries to make every few years. It’s a strictly oral tradition, passed down from a self-sustaining pottery commune of the 70s, LOL.

Enjoy recreating your grandma’s dishes, @Yeah No, perhaps putting your own spin on them, as will inevitably happen.😉

• Like 5
  • Love 1

My grandmother made the best spaghetti sauce.  When anybody asked for her recipe, she would give everybody something different.  So my aunt watched her one day and sewed the recipe on the apron.

All I know is if you double the recipe,  don't double the spices.

• Like 3
  • Useful 7

One of these days I need to make a recipe for Semlor (Swedish buns with whipped cream in them) that my mom wrote down for me. She found the recipe after I'd raved about the Semlor buns we'd had at a Swedish group's dinner. This was back in 1995! I'm intimidated by the recipe, but I love seeing her pretty handwriting 🩷. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

One of these days I need to make a recipe for Semlor (Swedish buns with whipped cream in them) that my mom wrote down for me. She found the recipe after I'd raved about the Semlor buns we'd had at a Swedish group's dinner. This was back in 1995! I'm intimidated by the recipe, but I love seeing her pretty handwriting 🩷. 

Care to share? 
Either just the recipe typed, or maybe a picture including your mom's handwriting?

• Like 2
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Care to share? 
Either just the recipe typed, or maybe a picture including your mom's handwriting?

I'd share a photo but don't know how to make it small enough for this site 🥴. But I'll share the recipe. I'll type it up & share on the recipe thread. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'd share a photo but don't know how to make it small enough for this site 🥴. But I'll share the recipe. I'll type it up & share on the recipe thread. 

Maybe if you email the photo to yourself you will find that it automatically shrinks?  I sometimes see that happening when I share photos of mine by email with my family.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I grew up with fresh cream doughnuts, and really miss them. I haven't found anything like them here. 

• Like 5
(edited)

It's not very reassuring to be sitting in my (somewhat expensive, ie definitely not luxury but not cheap) apartment as the maintenance worker is on the phone desperately asking for help to stop the water streaming nonstop though my washing machine whilst asking me for towels.

"Water coming out.  Like water streaming out. Like it's not but I'm worried.  It's not shutting off when I shut it off.  There's definitely something wrong.

"I can't screw it off all the way.  There's no hot water. They were switched.

"Do you have a bucket?" Directed at me.

"It's all the way up for sure.

"That's not safe.

"There's something wrong.

"Holy moley.  Jeeze."

I'm not making this up.

And glad I was on here to record what was going on in real time so I have some kind of record of my experience.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Mind Blown 9
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

It's not very reassuring to be sitting in my (somewhat expensive, ie definitely not luxury but not cheap) apartment as the maintenance worker is on the phone desperately asking for help to stop the water streaming nonstop though my washing machine whilst asking me for towels.

"Water coming out.  Like water streaming out. Like it's not but I'm worried.  It's not shutting off when I shut it off.  There's definitely something wrong.

"I can't screw it off all the way.  There's no hot water. They were switched.

"Do you have a bucket? Directed at me.

"It's all the way up for sure.

"That's not safe.

"There's something wrong.

"Holy moley.  Jeeze."

I'm not making this up.

And glad I was on here to record what was going on in real time so I have a record, at least of my experience.

Rent or own?

(edited)
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Rent or own?

Rent.  Pacific Northwest, nice building but not anything particularly extravagant or "desirable", just a decent place in a good area where I'm going to have to follow up where I wish I didn't have to in the first

Edited by Ancaster
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 1