Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: A Stolen Truck and Going on the Lam

Bort
  • Start Topic

“We’re not getting divorced.” ”Over my dead body.” ”Yup, that’s exactly how it’s going to end.” Yeah, we already know, show. No need to go with that gallows humor.

Liked seeing Paige’s mom and her and the Coopers snarking about each other ‘s problems.

That cop that pulled over Missy and Paige was cool. I was hoping that the Coopers would actually start TALKING about all the issues that led to this, but not yet.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1

I would totally be Missy when that cop pulled them over.  My urge to confess is why I don't commit crimes.

I feel like they made Sheldon extra clueless.  He doesn't have empathy or much for feelings, but Missy was missing and I don't think he'd be quite so blase.  

• Like 15
12 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

“We’re not getting divorced.” ”Over my dead body.” 

😟So. Not. funny
Agreed?

14 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

That cop that pulled over Missy and Paige was cool.

Give her a spinoff show, stat!

• Like 11

To me, this was a filler episode. We all know where, and how, this is heading. They could have used this episode to lay in more nuance, but no. Perhaps Paige’s mother was supposed to provide some of that, but all I got from her was what I would expect under the circumstances. And there was nothing knew from Paige. The only person who seemed different was Georgie, and good for him.

• Like 3

It's a tough situation for Missy.  On one hand, she has to be punished for what she did, but on the other hand, she really needs some counseling and parental support.  What a mess. 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Like 11
  • Sad 3

Agreed, that joke was not funny.  Overall the episode wasn't terrible, wasn't great either. I bought Missy being unrealistic about the consequences of running away, what I didn't buy was Paige.  Not the running away aspect, but the idea that they could be mermaids in Daytona Beach.  She's smart enough to know they are 13 and are not going to get hired anywhere.  Her end game is just acting out and pissing off her parents.  

• Like 10

Since Missy was in Baton Rouge, and probably less than an hour since her parents talked to the Medford police…  how the heck did a Louisiana cop find them so fast? It’s not like she pulled them over for something else. 

Edited by kay1864
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, kay1864 said:

Since Missy was in Baton Rouge, and probably less than an hour since her parents talked to the Medford police…  how the heck did a Louisiana cop find them so fast? It’s not like she pulled them over for something else. 

An APB?

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

It's a tough situation for Missy.  On one hand, she has to be punished for what she did, but on the other hand, she really needs some counseling and parental support.  What a mess. 

They should bring back the therapist who saw Sheldon in the earlier seasons. 

This is really frustrating knowing that this was the first episode after a few weeks of repeats and now we get a few more weeks of repeats before another new episode. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
8 minutes ago, kay1864 said:

how the heck did a Louisiana cop find them so fast? It’s not like she pulled them over for something else. 

With the alert out there, that truck was easy to spot!  

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, kay1864 said:

For all we know, she pulled them over for erratic driving and then Missy spilled the beans as soon as she rolled down the window.  The cop never said that she was looking for them specifically.

”At least none of my kids stole my truck or had a baby out of wedlock.”  Right, your kid only stole your credit card and almost went to Hawaii.  As far as babies, check back in a few years.  No Cooper had a baby at 13 either.

Sheldon really needed to be told to shut up more often when he was younger.  Now it’s too late.

• Like 13

With regard to that joke - did anyone else find it odd that it was George who was saying there would never be a divorce?  Did they have him say that just for the opportunity to make a cheap joke?  I mean by this that it would be uber religious Mary who would be the one saying "over my dead body" where divorce is concerned, not George who has been a sad sack for a couple of years now and who has definitely been at least thinking about straying, even if he didn't go there.  Yet.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
26 minutes ago, kay1864 said:

17 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

With the alert out there, that truck was easy to spot!  

Was there already an APB on George's truck? Maybe?
I assumed the patrolperson just noticed 2 too-young girls in the truck (one driving) because she had a daughter the same age and probably knew other girls like them.

• Like 7

The Coopers are messed up, but their dysfunction pales in comparison to Paige and her family. Crossed over from feeling sorry for the girl to being a bit scared of her in this episode. Paige is a deeply disturbed young lady; can't say I'd want my daughter being influenced by her right now, either.

One positive result from Missy's little adventure - Mary's more than likely on her way back home.

Sheldon was in about as full-scale SHELDON COOPER mode as he's ever been. How that boy survived to adulthood is a mystery.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

From Raegan Revord's (Missy) instagram today

Tonight’s episode was incredibly challenging for me to film, personally. On the way to work my mom and I were t-boned by a driver driving under the influence. The irony here is I’m pretty much in a car for this entire episode, but you know what they say, “you gotta get back on the saddle”. And that’s not to say it wasn’t difficult. I had full blown panic attacks and PTSD for weeks after the accident and the only way I was able to get through it was because of the most loving and supporting cast and crew. They checked in with me along the way and never made me feel like finishing filming was a priority, that my well being came first. With that said, I hope you enjoy tonight’s episode. When I read the script I remember being so excited to film it and being even more excited to film it with my friend (who was also instrumental in getting me through some of those tough times- love you Kenny)

• Like 8
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Hugs 8
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, shura said:

”At least none of my kids stole my truck or had a baby out of wedlock.”  Right, your kid only stole your credit card and almost went to Hawaii.  As far as babies, check back in a few years.

It really annoyed me that she refused to listen to Mary when she tried to point out that the divorce DID negatively affect Paige, even if it was for the best in the long run. If she can’t see the evidence right in front of her, then I am really worried for Paige.

• Like 12
9 hours ago, kay1864 said:

Are we sure about that, because she didn't look like she was expecting Missy's confession.  Like at all.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I think Mary was just agreeing, "until death do us part", since she doesn't know the future like we do. Regardless, that was some pretty dark humor.

I liked Sheldon insisting that Missy was doing it wrong because she didn't head towards California like his math predicted. Especially funny because he was right, she just drove east by mistake and then opted for spring break. He still doesn't understand uncertainty as it relates to other people.

• Like 19
9 hours ago, shura said:

“At least none of my kids stole my truck or had a baby out of wedlock.”  Right, your kid only stole your credit card and almost went to Hawaii. 

I did laugh when Paige’s mom said she dropped Paige at her dad’s and went to Hawaii rather than eat the non-refundable ticket.  But I feel sorry for Paige: her parents have no clue.

The Coopers, while troubled, love the kids.

• Like 14
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

It really annoyed me that she refused to listen to Mary when she tried to point out that the divorce DID negatively affect Paige, even if it was for the best in the long run. If she can’t see the evidence right in front of her, then I am really worried for Paige.

The divorce was the final straw for Paige because she knew that what led to the divorce was the way her mother spent so much time obsessing over Paige - even to the point of making her husband give up his dental practice to move to Texas for more opportunities for her.  Honestly, I'm surprised that her mother isn't more angry at Paige for seemingly throwing away (at this point anyway) all the perks of being a genius. Not to defend her, because I think she was wrong, but in her own mind she did a lot for Paige and look where it's led her!

11 hours ago, shura said:

”At least none of my kids stole my truck or had a baby out of wedlock.”  Right, your kid only stole your credit card and almost went to Hawaii.  As far as babies, check back in a few years.  No Cooper had a baby at 13 either.

Paige also has an older sister, roughly Georgie's age, who resented the attention Paige got.  Maybe she won't end up pregnant but I wouldn't be so sure that Paige is the only one causing her some grief!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 9

I had assumed Missy was driving too slowly. They had a little chat about her speeding or driving slowly but I could see her thinking that 30 or 35 wasn't slow but in a 45 speed zone it would be considered slow. She seemed to be on a back country road between communities so somewhere between 45 & 55 was probably the speed limit. If you're not used to driving 45 can feel FAST. (At least as a parent teaching a teenager to drive it does. 😆)

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
23 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I had assumed Missy was driving too slowly.…If you're not used to driving 45 can feel FAST.…

— especially if Missy had only driven in a parking lot previously.

And this is why we don’t teach 13-year-olds to drive.

Interesting that it was Paige who asked Missy if her parents would be worried about her.  
I hope Paige and Missy can ultimately be good friends for each other —  neither will feel so isolated.
And one being the family genius with the other being a genius’s twin could give each other insights for growth.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

That cop that pulled over Missy and Paige was cool.

That was Karen Malina White! I know she’s been in a ton of stuff, but I remember her most as fast-talker Charmaine from “The Cosby Show” & “A Different World”

• Like 6
  • Useful 3

A little surprised Sheldon did not check on Missy when she did not answer his call on there talkies. He knew she was upset, maybe knock on her door offer her a beverage and an ear to talk to like he did for Paige. 

Mary comes over the get a few things after seeing George's truck is gone. It looks like she is trying to avoid George. Then surprised when he is at home and tells him his truck is gone. 

George and Mary overlook Missy when the cop is there. George knew she was angry. I will give he did knock on her door for breakfast. The cop is the one bringing up about asking Missy if she knew anything about the truck being gone. Then and only then do they discover Missy is missing.

The silence in the truck on the way home does not look good for the family. Forbidding Missy from seeing Paige is not going to solve this problem. Missy was the one on her own to steal the truck, quickly gave a very good convincing lie at the gas station, call Paige ask her is she wants to run away with her, picks Paige up, then and only then does Paige get involved. 

• Like 5
57 minutes ago, Irish Mermaid said:

That was Karen Malina White! I know she’s been in a ton of stuff, but I remember her most as fast-talker Charmaine from “The Cosby Show” & “A Different World”

Dijonay from the Proud Family?! Didn't recognize her!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I bought Missy being unrealistic about the consequences of running away, what I didn't buy was Paige.  Not the running away aspect, but the idea that they could be mermaids in Daytona Beach.  She's smart enough to know they are 13 and are not going to get hired anywhere.  Her end game is just acting out and pissing off her parents.  

I'm not so sure.  Paige might have thought they could get some fake IDs and lie about their age.  She seems to be a lot more street smart than Sheldon, for instance.  She seems like the kind of kid who could get by on her own for awhile couch surfing, or doing what she had to do.

Lam.

• Like 7
15 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I bought Missy being unrealistic about the consequences of running away, what I didn't buy was Paige.  Not the running away aspect, but the idea that they could be mermaids in Daytona Beach.  She's smart enough to know they are 13 and are not going to get hired anywhere.  Her end game is just acting out and pissing off her parents.  

I think Paige wanted to believe in a fantasy, even if only for a few moments. Let's run away and become mermaids speaks to a certain degree of innocence on Paige's part. She could have suggested a topless bar or a place like Hooters, but she wanted to be a fantasy creature that would also appeal to Missy. She also may belieive that because she is a genius she would be able to figure something out. 

5 hours ago, appositival said:

I liked Sheldon insisting that Missy was doing it wrong because she didn't head towards California like his math predicted. Especially funny because he was right, she just drove east by mistake and then opted for spring break. 

I thought that was great too. He was right, but Paige was the one who pointed out that based on how far the girls had already traveled,  Daytona Beach made more sense. Making more sense being a relative term in this situation. 

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I hope Paige and Missy can ultimately be good friends for each other —  neither will feel so isolated.
And one being the family genius with the other being a genius’s twin could give each other insights for growth.

I want Paige and Missy to stay friends. I like that Paige is the one person who is legitmately honestly by choice friends with both Cooper twins and that both Cooper twins would want to spend time with.

I wish there had been a longer converstation between Paige and Missy comparing their respective home-lives. What it is like being the genuis who gets all of the attention and the pressure, and what it is like being the over-looked sibling. 

I really enjoyed this episode. 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I wish there had been a longer converstation between Paige and Missy comparing their respective home-lives. What it is like being the genuis who gets all of the attention and the pressure, and what it is like being the over-looked sibling. 

That's the conversation I wanted to hear.  This show is just so damn depressing anymore.  Ugh. 

• Like 3

As messed up as the Coopers are, they are at least better off than Paige's family. Her mom really should have listened to Mary when she said that their divorce clearly affected Paige. Even if the divorce was for the best its obviously made Paige feel even more isolated and has made her act out even more, and her mom refuses to take any responsibility. At least George and Mary could admit that they've been ignoring Missy, even if it doesn't seem like things are going to get better. 

Missy certainly needs to be punished, but I hope that George and Mary can take this as a wake up call that they need to give Missy some more attention and understanding, but I don't think that will happen, or it will be too little too late. 

Sheldon was so very Sheldon in this one, he would probably have been a much more well adjusted person if more people told him to just shut up, think about someone else, and read the room. 

The cop that pulled Paige and Missy over was really cool. 

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Missy certainly needs to be punished, but I hope that George and Mary can take this as a wake up call that they need to give Missy some more attention and understanding, but I don't think that will happen, or it will be too little too late. 

I think it's too late for Mary & George to undo or make things right with Missy.  Her formative years are behind her, and as we've seen before, she's always felt like she was on her own.  Mary tried to do some things with her, but then she got to Junior High (I think it was Jr. High) and she didn't want to be seen with her mother.  The damage is done.

5 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Sheldon was so very Sheldon in this one, he would probably have been a much more well adjusted person if more people told him to just shut up, think about someone else, and read the room. 

I don't think Sheldon is capable of reading the room.  I know that there's been a lot of discussion on TBBT as to whether he has Asperger's Syndrome or not, and I don't want to start that debate, but I have seen this exact behavior with a family member who has A.S.  This person is simply incapable of reading a room or knowing how to interact with people without coming across as rude.  Sheldon mirrors my relative in more ways than one.  It's a frustrating relationship because I know that he's incapable of having a normal conversation, so I deal with him as best that I can.   I can see why Mary placated Sheldon all of these years.  It's just easier that way (that doesn't make it right, but I get it).  Sadly, the other kids got the raw end of the deal.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
24 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I was surprised that Sheldon wasn’t upset that he didn’t realize Missy was gone and where she went because they were twins. 

He showed more concern for Paige when he found her at the party than he did when finding out Missy was gone.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think him trying to map where she was amounted to his way of caring. With Paige, he did the right thing because it was in front of him and he could do it. With Missy, what could he do? He tried to figure it out.

I don't know if Paige's problems come from the divorce or not. She wasn't happy before then, either. And living with parents who hate each other is also very stressful.

My favorite line was from Meemaw to Georgie: You became a dad really fast.

• Like 12
6 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I think him trying to map where she was amounted to his way of caring.

I hadn't looked at it that way but you're right.  Sheldon is only 13 (thank god they've at least moved the twins up into the teen bracket - finally!!) and we know he's not going to be any real practical help, even if he wanted to be.  At least he was trying to do something to help.  They could have written it that he was obsessing over something else and being annoyed that everyone was being distracted by Missy.  Glad they didn't go that route!

• Like 7
48 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I think him trying to map where she was amounted to his way of caring.

Good point!  I didn't think about it that way.  Sheldon is all about solving a problem, so that is what he was trying to do, therefore bringing Missy safely home - even if he was wrong!

• Like 11
On 3/30/2023 at 6:54 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

Agreed and that makes me like Paige even less. Missy might be naive enough to think underaged girls can make it on their own, but Paige certainly isn't. She's not an entirely unsympathetic character, but she isn't someone I'd want hanging out with my kid either. 

I also agree the "dead body quip" was tasteless and unnecessary. 

Glad we didn't have to deal with Mandy's whining though, so that was a plus. 

I didn't hate the episode but I didn't think it was one of their better ones. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

Contrast with how much he didn't care when the baby was being born last episode. He was obsessing about his database launch and had to be repeatedly told to buzz off.

That's a facinating point. Sheldon deeply cares and was worried about Missy and Paige, as evidenced by his attempt to try and find where they went. 

• Like 3
On 3/31/2023 at 7:33 PM, ChitChat said:

He showed more concern for Paige when he found her at the party than he did when finding out Missy was gone.

I think he was concerned about Missy as a brother and her twin, but knows that she has street smarts (to an extent). I wonder if he sees himself in Paige because of their similar intellectual abilities and worries more about her because he doesn’t want her to ruin her future potential. 

• Like 3
On 3/31/2023 at 9:16 AM, rmontro said:

Paige might have thought they could get some fake IDs and lie about their age.

This is what I think. I realize the actresses are older than 13 but with how they look (their actual age) I assumed Paige was going to go the "fake ID route". Missy had that under-the-table job at the comic book store, too. It's really not that big of a stretch for either of them to think they would be able to find some sort of work.

• Like 6
56 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

This is what I think. I realize the actresses are older than 13 but with how they look (their actual age) I assumed Paige was going to go the "fake ID route". Missy had that under-the-table job at the comic book store, too.

Lol, we've been so focused on Paige being the oldest and the brains of the outfit, I completely forgot Missy has already lied about her age to get a job.  😮

• Like 1
  • LOL 2