Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Chapter Twenty - The Foundling

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, paigow said:

How long ago did Din kill that croc? Based on Kenobi canon, desert slaughterhouses are remarkably effective at preventing spoilage without refrigeration. There should be plenty to feed their pets...

Amazing how pristine that shoreline appeared, considering there was a giant space-gator carcass lying there not too long ago with its entrails all over the beach in front of the covert.

Can you imagine having to live with that?

How offal! 😄

Edited by tkc
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Dani said:

I thought that was more an indication of their inflexibility. That even amongst only fellow clan members they had to eat in complete solitude away from the light and warmth of the fire.

That scene struck me as so sad, and possibly even counterproductive. Sharing food and eating together is a key element in social bonding. That helps tie groups together. Everyone having to rush off to eat separately means they're missing that bonding. They have to have absolute trust in each other for military maneuvers, but they never see each other's faces? It might make more sense if they didn't take their helmets off with outsiders, but could as long as they were among fellow clan members, since that would tighten bonds among the clans and separate them from outsiders. Separating them from each other is just weird.

I kind of got the sense that Grogu was sad while listening to the Armorer's lecture about the forge. His eyes looked sad and his ears were drooping. That could have been because it was somehow bringing up the memories that led to the flashback (though I'm not sure what the link to what she was saying was to the flashback), but I'm getting the vibe that Grogu is no more keen on being a Mandalorian than he was on being a Jedi. He wants to be with Dad and make him happy, but he might not want to get into any group that requires rigid obedience or fighting, particularly yet another group that might be persecuted. The poor kid may just want something like a normal life that doesn't require lifetime vows and following some creed. And it's impressive that they're able to convey all this with facial expressions on a sophisticated puppet.

• Like 14
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

That scene struck me as so sad, and possibly even counterproductive. Sharing food and eating together is a key element in social bonding. That helps tie groups together. Everyone having to rush off to eat separately means they're missing that bonding. They have to have absolute trust in each other for military maneuvers, but they never see each other's faces? It might make more sense if they didn't take their helmets off with outsiders, but could as long as they were among fellow clan members, since that would tighten bonds among the clans and separate them from outsiders. Separating them from each other is just weird.

On the other hand, the fact that they so strictly follow the rules of their cult might replace some of that bonding that would happen over sharing meals. All that social programming about "the way" and this is the only "true way" and being expelled from their society if you break the helmet rule for any reason - that's all very powerful reinforcement. Din was able to overcome the expulsion by bathing in the living waters because he is our hero - but until he went there  every one of the cult members thought Mandalore was effectively gone. That means for anyone but our hero you are OUT of the cult forever! That kind of social pressure in a very isolationist culture - it's all they know, so for us it's sad, but for them it's just how life is, full stop.

I'm an atheist so I have a different perspective, but it's not very far off from all the rules religions follow, it's just a matter of degree as far as I'm concerned. To me they are sad and isolating, but to the religious members it's "the way". 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Eliza422
  • Like 1
On 3/22/2023 at 1:49 PM, Dani said:

I thought it was interesting that Grogu and Kelleran Beq escaped in a Naboo ship. Based on the timeline and how deep in denial Padme was at that point it, she wasn’t behind it.

I was trying to remember the timeline. Would Padme have known about Anakin at that point? She could be just trying to save the Jedi, thinking he was with them? Although the senate being like WTF and helping the Jedi is still plausible. I love the meta aspect of Jar Jar doing it. 

I also read Beq's backstory on the wiki and he's the perfect person to save the padawans/younglings. I hope we hear more about his fate. 

1 hour ago, Eliza422 said:

That kind of social pressure in a very isolationist culture - it's all they know, so for us it's sad, but for them it's just how life is, full stop.

It did seem like Bo felt a little sad sitting alone by the fire, since she's not from that particular branch of the culture.

Someone in another discussion of this elsewhere pointed out that there might be a tactical issue with them having to be out of sight of each other to eat. That would be a really good time to attack. You could pick them off one-by-one. A few really good stealthy assassins could make a decent dent in the group before they could figure out something was up, get their helmets back on, and team up.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Sbeetle said:

I was trying to remember the timeline. Would Padme have known about Anakin at that point? She could be just trying to save the Jedi, thinking he was with them? Although the senate being like WTF and helping the Jedi is still plausible. I love the meta aspect of Jar Jar doing it.

If they are sticking with how she was written in Revenge of the Sith it wouldn’t make sense for it to be her. She was completely clueless about what was happening. Clone Wars Padme would have been more proactive but George Lucas just has her crying and getting information from Anakin and Obi-Wan. At that point Bail would have known the Jedi were being targeted and could have reached out to allies like Jar Jar. 

5 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

Din was able to overcome the expulsion by bathing in the living waters because he is our hero - but until he went there  every one of the cult members thought Mandalore was effectively gone. That means for anyone but our hero you are OUT of the cult forever!

That really stood out to me over the last few episodes. They have been initiating new members believing that there was no change a redemption. The helmet rule was always strict but at least in the past redemption was possible and not much of a challenge. More akin to a baptism. It’s so much more fanatically when there is no hope for redemption. 

From my understanding of the timeline the Children of the Watch were very much created during the time Mandalore was already on the path to its quasi-final destruction in the Purge. They are an apocalyptic cult and those are not known for being laid-back or big on redemption

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

From my understanding of the timeline the Children of the Watch were very much created during the time Mandalore was already on the path to its quasi-final destruction in the Purge. They are an apocalyptic cult and those are not known for being laid-back or big on redemption

I think they would have to be older than that. Din was rescued during the Clone Wars and was still pretty young when he took the oath. The purge was at least 17 years after the formation of the Empire based on Ezra’s age in Rebels. Seems like they would have had to have been created in the early imperial years. 

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

If they are an offspring of Deathwatch they may have started before the Purge when Madalore was already struggling in civil war. 

The only way I can tell to estimate when it started would be in terms of Din’s life. He was rescued at the end of the Clone Wars by Deathwatch. Based on the age of child actor playing him he would have taken the oath not long after. The cult would have had to have started by then. Which would make sense that the Children of the Watch would embrace the old ways out of anger over Mandalore’s capitulation to the Empire. Din would have been in his late 20’s when the Purge happened.

So for 15-ish years after they formed redemption would have been a possibility. 

On 3/24/2023 at 12:48 AM, MissLucas said:

If they are an offspring of Deathwatch they may have started before the Purge when Madalore was already struggling in civil war. 

Timeline Events.

19 years BBY [Before Battle of Yavin where Death Star 1 destroyed] Maul takes control of Death Watch and rules Mandalore.

Ahsoka & her Clone Battle Group arrive on Mandalore and capture Maul- but he escapes while she is trying not to die because of Order 66

1 BBY: Sabine gives DarkSaber to Bo-Katan.  Ezra & Thrawn hijacked by those crazy hyperspace whales.... 

9 ABY:  Din Djarin hired by Werner Herzog

Edited by paigow
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, Dani said:

That really stood out to me over the last few episodes. They have been initiating new members believing that there was no change a redemption. The helmet rule was always strict but at least in the past redemption was possible and not much of a challenge. More akin to a baptism. It’s so much more fanatically when there is no hope for redemption. 

Exactly. It's akin to something I have personal experience with. I was in a training program; prior to my going to the intense "phase 2" classroom portion, they eased up on the consequences of failing (before you were fired if you failed), and allowed for more chances to run programs. I had some co-workers who complained that it was now easy for us and it should have stayed the same. "I had to get hazed, so now all the new recruits still need to get hazed" - that sort of thing. No concept of making it better for people.

And going through those intense types of experiences and bonding with people over them makes you even more committed to the crazy. 

• Like 3
On 3/22/2023 at 9:16 AM, Peace 47 said:

Did Din say that he was Grogu’s ward?  I thought “ward” meant the person under care, not the carer.

I thought he was using the older meaning of the word “ward,“ which is “to guard, or protect.“ I thought he was indicating that he was Grogu‘s guardian, and thus could make the decision to enter Grogu into the training.

I don’t think the place where Mama went down, was the same area where the Mandalorians had their encampment. We know that the Mandalorians cannot fly the distance between the nest and the encampment, yet they were still apparently having no fuel issues at the time that she was brought down. Apparently there are extensive lakes and rivers (which may even open to the ocean) where the croc-turtles may reside. 

Edited by Boadicea
  • Useful 1
On 3/23/2023 at 4:04 PM, Sbeetle said:

I also read Beq's backstory on the wiki and he's the perfect person to save the padawans/younglings. I hope we hear more about his fate. 

I wonder if it was another Senator like Bail Organa or Mon Mothma. Considering Mon would be Chancellor right about I wonder if she might be making an appearance at some point. Having her be part of Grogu's rescue from Order 666 might set that up.

Personally I've never thought Din's journey was rejecting the covert completely. I always thought he was being set up to unite the various factions and lead Mandalore into the new Era. Which probably  means finding a middle ground between Bo's liberalism and the Armourer's rigid rules.

• Like 2

Speaking of the Mandalorian factions, I really wonder if there are any of the pacifists left. Maybe Korkie’s out there somewhere leading a group in the principles of his Aunt Satine. I’d pay extra to see Din react to that. 

I do think part of the show will be about uniting the factions. I hope it isn’t all about the warrior Mandalorians. As much as Bo has mentioned her father, there needs to be some reference to her sister and what she represented. 

3 hours ago, Boadicea said:

I thought he was using the older meaning of the word “ward,“ which is “to guard, or protect.“ I thought he was indicating that he was Grogu‘s guardian, and thus could make the decision to enter Grogu into the training.

I think it is that Star Wars thing where they take a word that exists today with a perfectly good meaning and they give it another similar but not quite the same meaning. Like parsec. Or jizz.

• Like 1

When Din said "ward" I just assumed he meant guardian. So the dragon mom kept that boy in it's mouth over night and the boy didn't have any slobber on him when she spit him out which kinda looked like she was regurgitating him. And Bo's ship didn't look big enough to hold those 3 baby dragons.

The best part of the episode for me was the flashback. I can't wait to finally see how Grogu ended up where Din found him.

I only know Bo from this show, I've never watched any of the animated shows or read the books/comics so I'm not her biggest fan and for me this season has too much Bo and not enough Din Djarin and Grogu adventures. Because of that I'm just not that invested in this season.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

this season has too much Bo and not enough Din Djarin and Grogu adventures. Because of that I'm just not that invested in this season.

Surprised that you - i.e. Mulder - cannot recognize your red headed, skeptical soul mate... Granted, Scully never moped around the Forgotten Basement Of Solitude...

• LOL 2
On 3/22/2023 at 11:35 AM, angora said:

Lol, Bo-Katan trying to get the Armorer to understand that she legit saw a Mythosaur. Like:

"No, I'm not talking about a metaphor or a vision, I'm talking about the *actual* ancient creature that we all thought was extinct!!"

So did the Mythosaur knock Din down to the depths of the waters? Or did he just sink because he didnt realize it was deep and he was wearing a metal suit? 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, tv-talk said:

So did the Mythosaur knock Din down to the depths of the waters? Or did he just sink because he didnt realize it was deep and he was wearing a metal suit? 

He wasn't pulled, seismic activity during the Purge opened a chasm that nobody knew about. Din had also removed his jetpack. So down he went and the poor Mythosaur gets blamed.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

He wasn't pulled, seismic activity during the Purge opened a chasm that nobody knew about. Din had also removed his jetpack. So down he went and the poor Mythosaur gets blamed.

Sure but his helmet is effectively scuba gear. I just found that pretty weak for Mando, the notion that mistakenly stepping into deep water would end his life. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Will Grogu's first words be "This is the way" or "The way, this is"?

Minor spoiler for Tales of the Jedi:

Spoiler

In Tales of the Jedi we see Yaddle, another member of Yoda's species. She speaks normally and does not do any of the reverse-talk that Yoda does.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, tv-talk said:

Sure but his helmet is effectively scuba gear. I just found that pretty weak for Mando, the notion that mistakenly stepping into deep water would end his life. 

Din was weak. He had already lost blood and was unconscious an hour or two ago before stepping into the Living Waters. I think his tenacity and risky behaviour is consistent to the character we've come to know and probably one of the reasons he's liked in the fandom.

I think it's become clear here that while Din is not the best fighter in this universe, he's a great pilot and has tons of persistence in battle and tough situations.

• Like 7
On 3/22/2023 at 4:57 AM, vadare said:

3. Poor Grogu having flashbacks while watching The Armorer...just like his daddy. His sad little face broke my heart.

Just realized that the flashback triggered by The Armorer's work was a callback all the way back to S1E1, when Din was remembering how he became a foundling. Full circle storytelling.

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Athena said:

Din was weak. He had already lost blood and was unconscious an hour or two ago before stepping into the Living Waters. I think his tenacity and risky behaviour is consistent to the character we've come to know and probably one of the reasons he's liked in the fandom.

I think it's become clear here that while Din is not the best fighter in this universe, he's a great pilot and has tons of persistence in battle and tough situations.

This. I feel like that episode really amplified Din’s personal weaknesses which led to him being in an unusual vulnerable position rather than making the character look weak. Din is so limited by his training and the dogma with which he was raised.

It really stood out to me in the scene after the kid was taken. Din and Vizsla immediately jumped into fruitless action. Bo, who is less limited in her thinking, gets her ship and can actually change what apparently was a repeated pattern of failure for the covert.  

Why do these people live on a planet of giant dinosaurs?

I always am somewhat baffled by Order 66. Sure, there's overwhelming numbers in the stormtroopers, but, still, these are supposedly Jedi. I would think you'd need nearly a tenfold advantage. It looked even before Grogu got in the elevator. Then Jedi Jar Jar took out 5 guys on his own. 

I did get a good laugh out of 'how do we eat?'

It was actually nice to see the Mandalorians acting like actual people for a change and showing emotion. Except the Amorer of course. 

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I always am somewhat baffled by Order 66. Sure, there's overwhelming numbers in the stormtroopers, but, still, these are supposedly Jedi. I would think you'd need nearly a tenfold advantage

The element of surprise, the “et tu, Brute?” aspect and they did have a tenfold (or more) advantage. Most of the Jedi were dead within seconds. At the temple the Jedi also had a huge disadvantage because they were trying to protect the kids and not just escape. 

I'm being kind of glib because in reality, it's plot driven. You look at the first Clone Wars short series, and there were like a hundred of them or so and just Windu. He cuts them down without breaking a sweat. 

I take the point, sure, in that first wave, a whole bunch of jedi are going to be cut down because they don't know what's going on, but the canon is strewn with jedi who did manage to escape, as we've seen them on a lot of the shows. I suppose one could handwave that not all Jedi are Kenobi and Ahsoka level. She had the tactical advantage too. 

Here, there were even numbers before Grogu got in the elevator and they got cut down, then Beq goes off on 5 of them or so. Even weaker Jedi do have the advantage of the force. 

It's only a minor observation. It's not ruining the show for me or anything. 

• Like 2

Tales of the Jedi gave an additional explanation for Ahsoka's survival (in addition to the split second warning she got by Rex trying to fight Order 66).

If anything bugged me about this episode it was the fact that raptor mom had attacked before and yet those supposedly great warriors never thought of taking precaution. I'm also somewhat miffed that show more or less dropped Mandalorians being great with all sorts of tech. We saw Din fix his armour once but then that aspect got dropped completely. Sabin would have MacGyvered an early warning system out of scraps (granted she was exceptionally gifted but Rebels still had Mandalorians being good at engineering as a theme). And if the covert has lost its tech skills (except for the Armorer) then at least post a lookout!

6 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I take the point, sure, in that first wave, a whole bunch of jedi are going to be cut down because they don't know what's going on, but the canon is strewn with jedi who did manage to escape, as we've seen them on a lot of the shows. I suppose one could handwave that not all Jedi are Kenobi and Ahsoka level. She had the tactical advantage too. 

It’s definitely plot driven but I don’t think it’s a complete handwave because the shows have shown that not all of the Jedi are at the level of Kenobi or Ahsoka. There is a logic to the Jedi whose job it is to train the younglings not being as combat skilled as those we are more familiar with and Beq having a higher skill resulting in him earning the position of overseeing all the training. Plus the temple being taken by the 501st who have been shown to be more skilled than most clones. 

But, yeah, there is definitely a lot of hand waving and plot contrivances. Sometimes I think a huge part of Filoni’s job has just been to flesh out and make sense of the halfbaked ideas of George Lucas. It is kind of amusing that so much emotional weight in Star Wars has fallen on the wafer thin logic of Order 66. 

I have to give a lot of credit to Clone Wars for created a situation where I watched this flashback and my heart broke for everyone involved, including the clones. 

1 minute ago, MissLucas said:

Tales of the Jedi gave an additional explanation for Ahsoka's survival (in addition to the split second warning she got by Rex trying to fight Order 66).

That's what I meant by 'tactical advantage'. Even so, there were hundreds there too. I was screaming at the tv for the entire escape. 

3 minutes ago, Dani said:

It’s definitely plot driven but I don’t think it’s a complete handwave because the shows have shown that not all of the Jedi are at the level of Kenobi or Ahsoka.

No, I wouldn't say it's a total handwave either, and it's also a correct point that the jedi were also protecting the children too. I'm always kind of dumbstruck that they don't fight with the force more. It's the singular advantage they all have. It's kind of too bad they didn't get into strength of the force more. We got spoiled by the Clone Wars with the top three jedi basically of all time. In Rebels, I wouldn't say Ezra or Kanan were especially strong, but Ezra had the other talents of talking to the space whales. 

Ahsoka just wrecking Maul still is a thriller. 

When she was on this show, I don't recall Ahsoka remarking on the potential strength for Grogu. Is there anything that their species is unnaturally strong in the force?

25 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm always kind of dumbstruck that they don't fight with the force more. It's the singular advantage they all have. It's kind of too bad they didn't get into strength of the force more.

I agree. It’s annoying how often they just forget they have the force for plot reasons. 

25 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Is there anything that their species is unnaturally strong in the force?

It’s my understanding that very little is known about his species, but using Yoda as a case study on one, yes. There was the line about Anakin’s midi-cholorians being higher than even Master Yoda’s. The whole reason they are hunting Grogu is for his blood and presumably high M count. I think Ahsoka said the classic “the force is strong with him” line about Grogu. 

There was another of their species besides Yoda in the movies, no? I didn't remember that Anakin was even more topped up than Yoda. I wonder where Luke is on that scale. One could speculate that Yoda refused to promote Anakin to Master for reasons other than him 'not taking the tests'. I know Windu didn't want to either. 

I tend to think not fighting with the force is an artifact of the OT movies because they didn't there and that's basically the way it's been done. In-movie universe, you could argue because there were only the three jedi basically and fighting training as it were, was lost with all the jedi being killed. On the other hand,  if you watched the Kenobi series, they most certainly did fight with the force, but for some reason 9 years later, they didn't. 

Of course, in this flashback, we're in the prequels, so there were a lot of jedi. You'd think they'd at least try to force push. I suppose because they always show the jedi using their hands to do force things, if you're being shot at, your hands are busy with the lightsabers. 

If Grogu is supposed to be strong, I'm really hoping Mando gets into some dire situation and the baby just wrecks it. Sheets of lightning flying out of those little fingers.

On 3/22/2023 at 1:49 PM, Dani said:

I thought it was interesting that Grogu and Kelleran Beq escaped in a Naboo ship. Based on the timeline and how deep in denial Padme was at that point it, she wasn’t behind it. That leaves Jar Jar as the most likely ally which would make Beq’s line about his friend very meta. 

You may very well be right! Someone from Forbes thought so too. I clipped a shot from this episode and enhanced it a bit and flipped it so you can see the ship more clearly:

jarjar.thumb.jpg.faf80525099023dce539a3524a696ddb.jpg

jarjar2.thumb.jpg.86b2658463836f5558ad2031b514e844.jpg

Compare to Senator Jar Jar's ride in Clone Wars:

960x0.jpg

Edited by tkc
  • Like 3
On 3/23/2023 at 12:56 PM, Shanna Marie said:

The poor kid may just want something like a normal life that doesn't require lifetime vows and following some creed. And it's impressive that they're able to convey all this with facial expressions on a sophisticated puppet.

I continue to be amazed by what the puppeteers of Grogu can do. They have helped to make him a fully realized character, with an inner life that's clearly conveyed with changes in facial and eye movements, coos, and hand movements. It's truly a marvel.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I continue to be amazed by what the puppeteers of Grogu can do. They have helped to make him a fully realized character, with an inner life that's clearly conveyed with changes in facial and eye movements, coos, and hand movements. It's truly a marvel.

I still marvel at the music video where Grogu is rocking out with director Robert Rodriguez while Rodriguez plays his guitar. You even see Grogu's little teeth and hear him cheering, etc.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 3/25/2023 at 7:34 PM, tv-talk said:

On 3/25/2023 at 8:08 PM, MissLucas said:

23 hours ago, Athena said:

I think it's also been established that Din can't swim.  Bo and her team had to save him once already when he went into the fish hold after Grogu on that boat in season 2.  He wasn't expecting to take another step and not have any ground beneath him, and all his beskar pulled him down.  

• Like 2

Look everybody, I love this show. I really, really do. But I'm on record as having hated the last episode (no apologies, the adventures of Dr. Pershing was a complete shitshow for me), and while this one is a step toward more what I like, it felt "off" for a couple of reasons. 

First, the training stuff just rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't like the way it felt like Din was pushing Grogu, for one thing. I really didn't like how it resolved, either, with the weird looking double flip over then shooting with paintball darts. Firstly, isn't that basically a quick draw contest? That's not really training as much as checking your training to this point. But more importantly, having him freeze the paintballs mid-air (or trying to and failing the first time or two) would have told us a lot more about Grogu than the bizarre looking flip thing. 

Really though the thing that sticks out is HOW they talk. Everything's super formal, completely non-conversational, and in this particular episode, I felt like we were hearing a lot of "this is what I'm currently doing at this very second, but if I don't say it, the audience won't know". "I'm plotting a course to intercept them," for example. I hate that. And I thought the whole thing was that a 'foundling' was essentially an orphan. Ragnar is directly related to Vizla, so is he NOT a foundling? Weren't they all supposed to be foundlings? Ugh, enough with the code. 

And don't pretend I'm the only one who heard that thing about them eating and thought, wait, is that how they fuck, with their helmets on??? How do they perform {WIFE CUTS ME OFF}...

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3
8 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

And don't pretend I'm the only one who heard that thing about them eating and thought, wait, is that how they fuck, with their helmets on??? How do they perform {WIFE CUTS ME OFF}...

According to the people who do those analysis videos on YouTube (superfans?), they are allowed to take their helmets off for that because they can take their helmets off in front of immediate family.  If this is true, theoretically, Ragnar has seen Paz Vizsla's face, because in the privacy of their own home, they can take their helmets off.  BUT - if this were true, wouldn't Din be allowed to take his helmet off in front of Grogu in the privacy of their own ship because the Armorer dubbed Din "you are as his father" back in season 1?  So Din doesn't seem to agree with the superfans.  

12 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

According to the people who do those analysis videos on YouTube (superfans?), they are allowed to take their helmets off for that because they can take their helmets off in front of immediate family.  If this is true, theoretically, Ragnar has seen Paz Vizsla's face, because in the privacy of their own home, they can take their helmets off.  BUT - if this were true, wouldn't Din be allowed to take his helmet off in front of Grogu in the privacy of their own ship because the Armorer dubbed Din "you are as his father" back in season 1?  So Din doesn't seem to agree with the superfans.  

This is totally sensible, but does that mean only after marriage? What's wrong with me, why do I care how a Mandalorian gives their beau a handjob, do they both need masks on? How would you know what you were doing was right?!?

The code frigging sucks, man. Same as the Jedi code. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

This is totally sensible, but does that mean only after marriage? What's wrong with me, why do I care how a Mandalorian gives their beau a handjob, do they both need masks on? How would you know what you were doing was right?!?

The code frigging sucks, man. Same as the Jedi code. 

I also think that Star Wars as a whole is, at a max, PG-13... so maybe we're overthinking things. 😉

• Applause 1

I wouldn't trust the YT superfans they need to come up with content and sometimes they are very 'creative'. I was also thrown by Paz Vizsla's claim that Ragnar was his son. It could mean adoptive son. If Ragnar is his biological son then my first question is not helmet-related but: where is Ragnar's mother? Also: even if the helmet-off thing in front of family is true Din needed to redeem himself as he also took off his helmet in the episode with Bill Burr.

Plenty of questions. I think one of the reasons Bo Katan was thrown into the mix is that someone asks all those things in lieu of the audience.

• Like 2

Even if the helmet rule is as extreme as what they are saying on the show, it would extremely unlikely is at least some of them aren’t breaking the rules in secret. I feel like the rules being unreasonable is the point the show is trying to make.  

When of the most telling lines of the show came from Mayfield last season. 

MAYFELD: I’m just sayin’, somewhere someone in this galaxy is ruling and others are being ruled. I mean, look at your race. Do you think all those people that died in wars fought by Mandalorians actually had a choice? So how are they any different than the Empire? (SCOFFS) If you were born on Mandalore, you believe one thing, if you’re born on Alderaan, you believe somethin’ else. But guess what? Neither one of ’em exist anymore. Hey, I’m just a realist. I’m a survivor, just like you.

THE MANDALORIAN: Let’s get one thing straight. You and I are nothing alike.

MAYFELD: I don’t know. Seems to me like your rules start to change when you get desperate. I mean, look at ya. You said you couldn’t take your helmet off, and now you got a stormtrooper one on, so what’s the rule? Is it that you can’t take off your Mando helmet, or you can’t show your face? ‘Cause there is a difference. Look, I’m just sayin’, we’re all the same. Everybody’s got their lines they don’t cross until things get messy. As far as I’m concerned, if you can make it through your day and still sleep at night, you’re doin’ better than most.