Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Chapter Twenty - The Foundling

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Dani said:

When of the most telling lines of the show came from Mayfield last season. 

That episode is sooooooo good. 

While the last two, the nicest thing I can say about them is that they're definitely in the top 20 episodes in the history of the show. 

• LOL 1

I think the stilted dialogue is deliberate. Someone mentioned upthread that not being able to eat together really takes away from healthy socialization. So everyone is overly stiff and formal way more than you'd think of such a small community. 

Similarly, we never see anyone playing music or painting anything either. 

46 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

The code frigging sucks, man. Same as the Jedi code. 

I think that's the fundamental theme Filoni et al are trying to show us. 

2 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

When of the most telling lines of the show came from Mayfield last season. 

Burr's monologue is probably the best in the entire history of the franchise. I use variations on it all the time when I'm pissed off at work because people are just gaming rules as they suit. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, Dani said:

But, yeah, there is definitely a lot of hand waving and plot contrivances. Sometimes I think a huge part of Filoni’s job has just been to flesh out and make sense of the halfbaked ideas of George Lucas. It is kind of amusing that so much emotional weight in Star Wars has fallen on the wafer thin logic of Order 66. 

One of the things I'm liking about these new shows is someone (Favreau and Filoni, largely) thinking about this big picture stuff. Characters have motivations in their world and not just take action to further the plot. Sure, a seemingly large number of Jedi survived, but now we see how their training and their unpreparedness outside the rigid life meant they weren't a force and were soon forgotten. I think we're seeing a lot of this in Din and the Mandos now. Are they living in Space Australia, where everything is trying to kill them, because it's a good hiding place or because they have to be hardasses about everything? Same sort of idea with the eating alone part...probably solid cult reinforcement to separate people and reinforce rules, but blind allegiance has them living in caves and hiding. 

Sometimes I think I may drawer deeper stuff than is intended, which to me means at least the creators are living things ambiguous enough to allow such thoughts, which I enjoy. This episode just had a lot of interplay about living with rules and being controlled by them. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, AncientNewbie said:

Sure, a seemingly large number of Jedi survived, but now we see how their training and their unpreparedness outside the rigid life meant they weren't a force and were soon forgotten.

I tend to think they became the ronin type figures that Lucas originally envisioned. It's a big galaxy. Even if up to 1000 escaped, they could be scattered all over the place and done all sorts of things. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Burr's monologue is probably the best in the entire history of the franchise. I use variations on it all the time when I'm pissed off at work because people are just gaming rules as they suit

It’s my favourite episode of the whole series.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Burr's monologue is probably the best in the entire history of the franchise. I use variations on it all the time when I'm pissed off at work because people are just gaming rules as they suit. 

Luthen Rael would like a word. The "what do you sacrifice" speech in Andor is for me the best speech in the history of the franchise. Although less useful for when you're pissed off at work :). 

• LOL 1
Just now, DoctorAtomic said:

I haven't watched Andor. I like Burr in general, and the speech is something he's said in some of his shows when he calls out the audience. It's the hypocrisy I like. 

I watched it once, thought it was blah, then in a lull in Star Wars content, decided recently to go back and rewatch it. I think it's the best of the Disney era Star Wars. If you do watch it, it helps to know that it's basically four "sections" of story. I didn't know that when I put it on and I think it made the pace feel strange. But if you ever wanted a show where there are no skywalkers in sight, no one uses the force, and you can get a look at how the Empire worked, could not recommend it more highly. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

"I don’t know. Seems to me like your rules start to change when you get desperate." 

This was so good, and ultimately, if mandalorians can be redeemed, is their bow really important? Din showed his face in public first to salvage a mission, and then to say goodbye to Grogu, but we didn´t see him go to the Armorer to tell her what he had done. It wasnt until his duel with Paz when the truth came out and then he went looking for a way back. But he knew he had broken a bow (for which he had been willing to die rather than breaking it before). And I think it's reasonable to assume a lot of other mandos have probably lied as well, even to the armorer after being asked if they had removed their helmets, specially since they all believed that The Living Waters were no more. Is there also a limit as to how many times they can be redeemed?

Which brings me to the Armorer's question: Have you ever removed your helmet? Has it ever been removed by others? They all say no, but we know the way the questions are formulated means they all lie. They take it off to eat, shave, clean up or whatever which sounds natural. And what about medical attention? Mando was prepared to die at the end of the first season rather than take his helmet off to treat his head injury, until there was suddenly an addedum: no living thing had seen his face since swearing The Creed, so then doing it in front of a droid is ok? Are they all expected to find loopholes like this when the a situation is dire but keep up the act when they are together? If the only doctor around was human would they let themselves die then? The covert works a lot for its survival and continuity, with an emphasis in the care and preparation of armor for foundlings. What if one of the kids had a head injury? would they not remove the little one's helmet in that case? Although, seeing how passive they were about a dragon eating a mando kid every two weeks because the beast was nesting far away and they couldn´t be bothered to walk all the way, maybe dying of untreated head wounds is also the way of the Mandalore.  

Or maybe I just have to much time on my hands and am overthinking this.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I keep wondering about dental care. Maybe they all floss daily (alone) and never have any cavities. Come to think of it: beskar fillings would be cool.

Book me a seat at the table of overthinking.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Also: even if the helmet-off thing in front of family is true Din needed to redeem himself as he also took off his helmet in the episode with Bill Burr.

Mando needed to be redeemed because he took his helmet off in front of Bill Burr's character, a whole cafeteria of stormtroopers and officers, Bo and her team, Fennec, Luke, and Grogu.  I guess my question though is why he can't take it off when he's alone with just Grogu; if it doesn't violate the rules, that wouldn't be what he needs to redeem.  But, obviously, we don't know all the rules yet...

1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Mando needed to be redeemed because he took his helmet off in front of Bill Burr's character, a whole cafeteria of stormtroopers and officers

Technically, he took off the Mando helmet and put on Imperial gear. That's what prompted "So is it you can't take off your helmet or not show your face?" He's moving the goalposts as the situation calls for it. 

Does it count if a jedi sees your face?

• Like 2

I think it might be time for a move, maybe a new cave, because this beach is seriously hostile. They cant even have one fight club/cook out without a giant dragon showing up to try and eat the kids. 

Din being all soccer dad with Grogu was so cute, he looked so nervous to be using his powers, although maybe next time start him off on how to throw darts instead of starting him off with fighting with another kid. It was so sad to see how upset he got when he saw the forge, just liked his daddy. I bet the Armorer is already trying to figure out how the hell she's going to make a little Grogu sized helmet. 

Its awesome to see Ahmed Best here after he got so much unjustified shit from the prequels. I'm so glad that he can have this new place in the franchise, saving Grogu and possible some other kids from Order 66, I hope that we see him again. 

• Like 7
6 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

According to the people who do those analysis videos on YouTube (superfans?), they are allowed to take their helmets off for that because they can take their helmets off in front of immediate family.  If this is true, theoretically, Ragnar has seen Paz Vizsla's face, because in the privacy of their own home, they can take their helmets off.  BUT - if this were true, wouldn't Din be allowed to take his helmet off in front of Grogu in the privacy of their own ship because the Armorer dubbed Din "you are as his father" back in season 1?  So Din doesn't seem to agree with the superfans.  

According to my recollection of what said superfans had mentioned around the time of the Boba Fett show, Din has to complete a simple, personal  Mandalorian adoption ceremony, where he acknowledges Grogu as his child, before they are officially father-son in the culture (and presumably Din could then remove the helmet with him).  I just Googled Mandalorian adoption (you know, instead of finishing my real-life paperwork for the day like a normal person), and Wookiepedia seems to confirm.  That all kind of goes along with the discussion in this thread about how it’s becoming noticeable that Din is not referring to Grogu as his own kid yet.  

2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Mando needed to be redeemed because he took his helmet off in front of Bill Burr's character, a whole cafeteria of stormtroopers and officers, Bo and her team, Fennec, Luke, and Grogu. 

Pffft, is that all?  😁  Oh no, it wasn’t:  Cara was there, too.  When Din transgresses, there are no half-measures. 

Edited by Peace 47
  • Like 3
On 3/27/2023 at 4:48 PM, Peace 47 said:

Din has to complete a simple, personal  Mandalorian adoption ceremony...

which will never happen because there will be another predatory animal adventure tomorrow.... 

On 3/27/2023 at 4:48 PM, Peace 47 said:

When Din transgresses, there are no half-measures. 

Mando can say Grogu keeps ripping off the helmet using The Force

• LOL 3
On 3/27/2023 at 5:48 PM, Peace 47 said:

According to my recollection of what said superfans had mentioned around the time of the Boba Fett show, Din has to complete a simple, personal  Mandalorian adoption ceremony, where he acknowledges Grogu as his child, before they are officially father-son in the culture (and presumably Din could then remove the helmet with him).  I just Googled Mandalorian adoption (you know, instead of finishing my real-life paperwork for the day like a normal person), and Wookiepedia seems to confirm.  That all kind of goes along with the discussion in this thread about how it’s becoming noticeable that Din is not referring to Grogu as his own kid yet.  

Pffft, is that all?  😁  Oh no, it wasn’t:  Cara was there, too.  When Din transgresses, there are no half-measures. 

I hope that we get to see that ceremony!  They'll have to be careful though if it does happen, and make sure to coordinate Pedro's shooting schedule.

Oh yeah... Cara.  Out of sight, out of mind!

• Like 2

These last two episodes made me do something I didn't think was possible; actually give a shit about Bo-Katan. I still don't care about what happened to her in the animated shows, but I like how she plays off the other Mandalorians. 

Although you would think that once she and Mando came back and told the rest of them that the living waters of Mandalore are still there and the planet isn't poison, that the rest of them would be getting ready to move back ASAP. Because your ancestral home world has to be way better than the shitty desert giant dinosaur planet. I mean Both has to be better than that place (assuming you are able to insulate that armour).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 3/23/2023 at 10:04 AM, coppersin said:

Does Grogu still have the mythosaur amulet that Din gave him? I've lost track.

Probably swallowed it and pooped it out. Maybe grow a mythosaur plant. 

On 3/27/2023 at 11:04 AM, Uncle JUICE said:

This is totally sensible, but does that mean only after marriage? What's wrong with me, why do I care how a Mandalorian gives their beau a handjob, do they both need masks on? How would you know what you were doing was right?!?

The code frigging sucks, man. Same as the Jedi code. 

I keep on thinking of the scalp diseases and helmet hair

On 3/23/2023 at 2:43 AM, tkc said:

Amazing how pristine that shoreline appeared, considering there was a giant space-gator carcass lying there not too long ago with its entrails all over the beach in front of the covert.

Can you imagine having to live with that?

How offal! 😄

Giant space gator is tasty!

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 1

To echo what other posters wrote, for a decidedly warrior and martial clan, the Mandalorians are woefully unprepared for attacks to their location, natural or otherwise. There is no defense, or at least warning, system whatsoever for the air and water of that beach?