Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion

halgia
  • Start Topic

"The Case of the Man with No Name." Not your usual "the husband did it" story. But we need some sort of follow-up to this because they spent 2 hours figuring out who this guy was, and we never really found out anything about him except his real name. They even found the brother (who also seemed kind of creepy) but we learned nothing about this guy's background, childhood, family, etc. etc. that would give us any insight on why he turned into such a psychopath.

And just think, that guy has a daughter. I hope "The Bad Seed" isn't real.

I can't believe Dwayne had a brother named Darrin and a best friend named Darrin. Like it's that common of a name. 

Jason sure lost a ton of weight, I'll give him that.

I can't believe nobody stole the truck he left out in the open for someone to steal. Maybe your smarter thieves would think it's a setup but how about drugged up junkies or drunken teens out for a joyride? At least take the phone! I dunno - maybe Canadians are just nicer people. 😉

• Like 5
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I guess the only mystery is why so many men think they can get away with this. The husband didn't even seem smart about it. I guess that's what happens when your ego is greater than your intellect.

You also have to wonder about these defense attorneys willing to go on TV and defend such obviously guilty clients. Do they think it will attract more clients? I guess if I murdered someone and nobody else would take my case, but . . . she didn't win.

I wonder about that, too. Especially given all the high profile stories of husbands who've eventually been caught in these kinds of crimes over the years. You'd think guys like him would keep that in mind, especially since he'd already made a public appearance on one of the most popular game shows ever with a comment that would surely sound REALLY bad out of context*. 

But arrogance and lack of smarts will always be these guys' downfall in the end, so...

*On the one hand, I was surprised that "Dateline" didn't make more out of his appearance on "Family Feud", and that particular comment, but on the other hand, I'm glad they didn't, 'cause yeah, it definitely reads horribly in retrospect, but at the same time, plenty of people make comments like that and don't commit murder, so... 

I remember seeing this story on "48 Hours" a couple weeks back, too, and they went into a lot of detail about the camera footage of the mystery man on the bike and whatnot. And yeah, his defense attorney...the fact she was also working his divorce prior to this makes her defense of him against the murder charges all the more suspect to me. Maybe he shouldn't have used the same person as his attorney for both cases? Maybe she should've avoided getting involved as his criminal defense attorney? I just have to think there's some serious conflict of interest or something going on there. 

The "Dateline" episode also went a lot more into the allegations regarding his dad's interactions with children, so, yeah, that's...troubling. And would probably explain some of why this guy turned out as he did. 

As for last night's episode, yeah, quite the fascinating case, but I agree, I would've liked to learn more backstory about Jason and what led him down this life of crime in general. His poor ex-wife, she went through so much hell. Her thing about needing to have protection on her way to and from work and while she was at work was chilling. Very glad he won't be able to bother her or her daughter ever again. 

I also had to laugh at how Jason's attempt to turn himself in on that warrant backfired so spectacularly for him. But this is the same guy who closed the trunk when setting the car on fire, thus mitigating some of the explosive power of the fire, so... Not the brightest bulb, clearly. 

I was also surprised that he was able to have an ID without a last name. I didn't know that was allowed.

I really feel bad for poor Aubrey. Guy already clearly had a rough life as it was, with his homelessness and drug use and tangential relationship with his family, and then this is how it all ends for him. How awful. 

On a much lighter note, I enjoyed hearing all the Canadian accents throughout the episode. Especially the cowboy. Something about a cowboy with a Canadian accent just amused me greatly :D. He should consider himself lucky, too, that when he came to drop off the evidence he'd collected, the police didn't immediately start looking at him as a suspect, 'cause we've all seen the stories of how police will be suspicious of people who seem like they're being almost TOO helpful to a case. 

• Like 6
23 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Did Dateline really need to bring Encyclopedia Brown into it?! 😁

Yes, because Encyclopedia Brown is awesome!  I absolutely loved those books as a kid.  It was amusing to hear EB referenced on Dateline.

A fascinating case, and I love hearing about the Canadian legal system.

• Like 3
  • Wink 2
  • Love 2
On 11/3/2023 at 6:23 PM, Irlandesa said:

There was a brief moment where there was doubt, considering she had a boyfriend. 

But there was just something about the ex-husband's face.  And then when they said he had a big personality and was excited to be on Family Feud, I knew he must be in jail since he wasn't being interviewed by Dateline.  At least they kept it to 1 hour.

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't he trying to answer a category where he had to think of what answers could be up on the board?  If that's the case, I think the way they treated that answer is a bit overblown.

The Family Feud thing was a little overblown and I agree that the point is to think of answers that could be on the board, but if that was the intent of his answer, he would have also said something like "not that I would have said something like this but..." Instead he made a face and said "sorry honey" or something like that. 

The ex husband was a man who never outgrew his frat boy persona. I could see how when they were in college and in the first few years after, he'd be considered charming, but that gets old after a while. He was stalking her and clearly couldn't handle her moving on with her life with a new man. I too thought the defense/divorce attorney was ridiculous. She says they never proved he was inside the house? How do you explain the shell casings? Even without the gun, that's a hella coincidence. 

• Like 6

Thursday's episode, "The End of the Affair." At first I was convinced the wife was behind it since they weren't interviewing her, that's always a tell-tale sign. But I guess she just didn't want to be interviewed. Can hardly blame her.

And when it comes to blame, it's always a slippery slope to victim-blaming, but boy, Camilo Salazar was playing with fire, having an affair with a woman with such a dangerous husband. 

• Like 4

I accidentally saw the title of the episode (which I usually avoid) so that gave it away for me. Shocked the perp turned himself in though. I guess one can kill a person by lighting their genitals in fire ..but still put family first. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by TVbitch
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I guess one can kill a person by lighting their genitals in fire ..but still put put family first. 🤷‍♀️

The lieutenant describing the scene when he came across the burning body was...yeow.  What a horrifying image. I wonder how long it took him to shake those images out of his head :/? 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Thursday's episode, "The End of the Affair." At first I was convinced the wife was behind it since they weren't interviewing her, that's always a tell-tale sign. But I guess she just didn't want to be interviewed. Can hardly blame her.

And when it comes to blame, it's always a slippery slope to victim-blaming, but boy, Camilo Salazar was playing with fire, having an affair with a woman with such a dangerous husband. 

Salazar was a POS. Not that he deserved to die, but geez. The guy had been married less than a year, had a three week old baby and was having an affair. So his daughter grows up without a father because said father couldn't be faithful to his basically newly wed wife. I wanted to smack his mother and sister who painted him as such a great, fun loving guy. And Dennis at the end who said to the sister "we need more guys like him in the world". No Dennis, we need way, way less. 

And I must say, his mistress didn't seem overly upset at his demise. She seemed like a cold fish. All in all, the only people I had sympathy for were the wife and daughter. All in all the whole epi felt like a waste of my time.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
37 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Friday was Gilgo Beach murders again. Plus Andrea. Hard pass!

Again? I don't remember seeing it before. But good choice on the hard pass, because this felt like an awfully boring episode about a serial killer. It spent an inordinate amount of time on the victims and their friends/relatives/advocates, and shockingly little on the killer himself. I don't even think they got into who it was until the second hour, and even then we got only a cursory overview of his life. 

It's almost as if the point of the episode was to highlight the plight of sex workers rather than solve a mystery.

• Like 3

I was pleasantly surprised. I appreciated that Dateline gave the same respect and focus to the victims of the killer in this episode that they do to the victims of domestic violence they regularly cover.

Given society's obsession with serial killers, I'm sure he'll be covered over and over through history so I'm glad Dateline resisted the temptation to make him more than he is. 

I only wish the one sex worker who didn't feel comfortable with him had felt comfortable enough to call in a tip. 

• Like 6

Yeah, I appreciated how they talked about these women, too. 

Everything with Shannon Gilbert and her family, and all that happened with them after Shannon's death. Just such a tragedy the whole way around. Her poor surviving sister, I can't even begin to imagine how she's trying to cope with everything. 

The story from the woman who let Rex take her to her home after her injury, and helped settle her into bed. Wow. Yeah. Talk about dodging a bullet, indeed. I can't imagine how surreal it would be to see someone you knew and worked on the news like that.

It was very telling how so many of the women Rex had interacted with seemed to remember him as a nicer guy, compared to the stories from the men who'd interacted with him. Of course he was nicer to the women much of the time. He had no use for the men. Just chilling. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I can't imagine how surreal it would be to see someone you knew and worked on the news like that.

Agreed; however, when the interior design woman whom he assisted after her accident, actually VISITED HIS EXTREMELY DILAPIDATED, FILTHY home (an eyesore in the midst of a lovely residential area) it's very odd that her entire opinion of him didn't turn "on a dime." ANYONE who could have lived in such a "hell-hole", REGARDLESS OF HOW BENIGN AND CONGENIAL he may have presented in his work life would have raised an IMMEDIATE RED FLAG with me!  Even though he used the pretext to entice her to visit with a planned "remodel" job, it was clear that this was NOT A HEALTHY, "NORMAL" PERSON.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

Everything about the Gilgo Beach murders was so sad and horrific I couldn't sleep last night.

Those poor desperate girls and Andrea sitting there nodding as the friend said they were simply providing a service, as if the beautiful, successful journalist thought it was a perfectly fine career choice. 

I hate that our society has decided to reduce the stigma of sex work when what we should  do is reduce the need for such demeaning, dangerous work in order for young women to pay the rent and support their children!  We should have free tech schools in every town so girls can stay home until they have their hairdresser or med tech degree and can properly support themselves.

I also hate that the police don't treat their murders with the same concern as any woman's.  Still it was to their credit that they could sort out all the men in Manhattan and find the killer.

His wife gave me the creeps.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
On 11/12/2023 at 7:04 AM, JudyObscure said:

Those poor desperate girls and Andrea sitting there nodding as the friend said they were simply providing a service, as if the beautiful, successful journalist thought it was a perfectly fine career choice. 

I hate that our society has decided to reduce the stigma of sex work when what we should  do is reduce the need for such demeaning, dangerous work in order for young women to pay the rent and support their children!  We should have free tech schools in every town so girls can stay home until they have their hairdresser or med tech degree and can properly support themselves.

I also hate that the police don't treat their murders with the same concern as any woman's.  Still it was to their credit that they could sort out all the men in Manhattan and find the killer.

His wife gave me the creeps.  

Ok - let me preface this by saying that I have felt for the last 40 years that sex work should be legal.  Sex workers should have a safe place to work, get regular health checkups AND pay taxes like the rest of us have to do.   On the other hand, nobody put a gun to these women's heads to be sex workers.  I don't remember the details but at least one of these murdered women had drug issues (as did Shannon Gilbert) and the bottom line is that you make more money being a sex worker than working at McDonalds or cleaning houses.  NO sex worker deserves to be murdered but on the other hand, you go into that kind of life, there are dangers, which include being butchered by a psycho.  Free tech schools aren't going to solve this problem because my guess is that most of the folks who go into sex work have more issues than just not making enough money.  

Well, I'm the winner this week of the person on the forum who has Dateline give a view of a local "attraction" - in my case The infamous (and recently closed down) Sayville Motor Inn.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
22 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Free tech schools aren't going to solve this problem because my guess is that most of the folks who go into sex work have more issues than just not making enough money.  

I agree that free occupational training won't solve the problem for everyone, just, as I said, reduce the need a little.  There were two in this episode who said their dream was to get enough together to become a hairdresser or med tech. I'll never vote for it to be legal.  

• Like 1

As thrilled as I am that they nabbed mama Adelson at the airport tryng to flee and gave brother Charlie life in prison for the murder of the daughter's ex, I hope Dateline does not rehash the case this week. 20/20 just did it last week. I hope they get more of them as it seemed to be a rich, entitled family endeavor.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 11/13/2023 at 2:26 PM, 12catcrazy said:

NO sex worker deserves to be murdered but on the other hand, you go into that kind of life, there are dangers, which include being butchered by a psycho. 

I can appreciate your point. But if there's one thing I've learned from watching Dateline it's that being able to light up every room you enter is also a risk factor. 

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 7

Part of the Plan:

It seems like every week we ask how so many people think they can just murder their spouses and get away with it, but in this case in particular I think it's fairly obvious these were just not very bright people. And it looks like the killers will be right at home in prison.

Not sure why it took five years to get Michael and his cohort to trial, seems like he was arrested fairly quickly.

The brother and his wife, Veronica - while the brother was talking at one point, the wife was staring straight into the camera the whole time. It was unsettling.

For the record, nobody believes the wife tried to stop it. I kind of wish Keith had interviewed Michael and the other guy, I'm pretty sure they'd say she's the one who planned the whole thing.

• Like 9

I mean, the wife practically pointed the cops right at her co-worker by IDing his car?!  Why? Did she think she would be able to convince the cops he acted alone? But wait, then she comes to the police station and confesses that their texts were all code for the murder. But, she's actually a saint who was trying to stop the whole thing. Then she gets herself committed by saying she will harm herself. Was she thinking about going for insanity?! But then she ends up pleading guilty. It's a new high bar for stupid.

Tonight Murdaugh again, ugh. If anyone watches, let me know if there is anything new.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Tonight Murdaugh again, ugh. If anyone watches, let me know if there is anything new.

Yeah. There have been multiple docuseries on this story.  You'd think for a story with all that content that Dateline could put together a new hour on the story but I just have a feeling they'll spend most of the episode rehashing a case they've covered so much already with maybe a little bit of new content.

But hopefully someone watches and says Dateline has proven me wrong.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

but in this case in particular I think it's fairly obvious these were just not very bright people. And it looks like the killers will be right at home in prison.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why she offered up Michael as the only person that she knew with a Black Car. 

• Like 5
On 11/16/2023 at 4:03 PM, Mannahatta said:

I can appreciate your point. But if there's one thing I've learned from watching Dateline it's that being able to light up every room you enter is also a risk factor. 

Gold.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yeah. There have been multiple docuseries on this story.  You'd think for a story with all that content that Dateline could put together a new hour on the story but I just have a feeling they'll spend most of the episode rehashing a case they've covered so much already with maybe a little bit of new content.

But hopefully someone watches and says Dateline has proven me wrong.

I watched it.  Sporadically because I kept dozing on and off.  I’ve listened to podcasts, watched Dateline episodes on the subject and even watched some of the trial.  

I have a question to where I cannot for the life of me find the answer.  I thought last night would address it but again, it was glossed over. 

Alec admits on the stand that’s his voice on the tape.  It’s three or so minutes before the murders.  So how does he say he didn’t kill them?   Does he say it’s a masked intruder?  

Every (and I mean every) show does the same thing with this part of the story. They show the prosecutor zero in on the phone voice evidence then never show what Alec says to try to convince the jury he did not kill his wife and son. 

The other mystery to me is that they never discuss the wife Maggie in terms of her life before Alec.  I don’t believe I’ve ever heard comments from her family and that is if she has any remaining family members. 

In last nights episode I found it interesting that Maggie’s assistant is the one tending to Maggie’s and Paul’s grave. 

If anyone can clear this up for me I’d be thankful because I’ve search for the answer and have come up with nothing. 

Oh, one more thing on Part of the Plan: I was surprised Dateline left in the part where the lead investigator said he has always refused doing "Dateline" type shows before, because he does not believe murder should be entertainment. He said he was only doing this one episode because he fears the wife will convince the young boys that she wasn't part of the murder plan, and he wants it out there that this is categorically not true.

Okay, I have to respect the guy. ...But, I mean, I am still watching my murder stories. 😬

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
14 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Yeah, I just am not interested in watching another Murdaugh recap with some new info sprinkled into it.

In the past, I've definitely given five hours over weekends to the three network true crime shows (Dateline, 20/20 and 48 Hours), but I can't remember the last time I did. The three all seem to be covering the same cases. Last night's 20/20 was the same case Dateline had on a couple weeks ago.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I was surprised Dateline left in the part where the lead investigator said he has always refused doing "Dateline" type shows before, because he does not believe murder should be entertainment. He said he was only doing this one episode because he fears the wife will convince the young boys that she wasn't part of the murder plan, and he wants it out there that this is categorically not true.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. He's wants to make sure those kids know their mother was a murderer. Is that a good thing? Is that going to help them in life? It's just weird.

• Like 2

It's not going to help them, but I think it is better than believing your mother is innocent and wrongfully in jail for decades, and being conflicted with what the rest of the family is saying, and being lied to by your mother (who denied you of what looked like a good dad) for your whole life. The kids will be better off having nothing to do with her -at least until they are older and can decide for themselves based on the truth.  

• Like 6
8 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Oh, one more thing on Part of the Plan: I was surprised Dateline left in the part where the lead investigator said he has always refused doing "Dateline" type shows before, because he does not believe murder should be entertainment. He said he was only doing this one episode because he fears the wife will convince the young boys that she wasn't part of the murder plan, and he wants it out there that this is categorically not true.

Okay, I have to respect the guy. ...But, I mean, I am still watching my murder stories. 😬

And Keith Morrison's gonna keep on interviewing and hosting murder shows!

• Fire 1
  • LOL 1
On 11/18/2023 at 11:48 AM, TVbitch said:

It's not going to help them, but I think it is better than believing your mother is innocent and wrongfully in jail for decades, and being conflicted with what the rest of the family is saying, and being lied to by your mother (who denied you of what looked like a good dad) for your whole life. The kids will be better off having nothing to do with her -at least until they are older and can decide for themselves based on the truth.  

If the kids are being gaslit by the mother or her family they probably won't be swayed by a Dateline episode. Moreover, it's probably not something they appreciate being aired on TV for everyone they know to see. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 11/18/2023 at 9:33 AM, AManfred said:

n the past, I've definitely given five hours over weekends to the three network true crime shows (Dateline, 20/20 and 48 Hours),

It's always about the $$$$.  That's what I believe. 

I COULDN'T BELIEVE that 20/20 was reviving the Laredo murders case and Dateline was reviving the Murdaugh case.

Both these shows (and 48 hrs) are vintage offerings.  Been around for DECADES.  Maybe the mgt has decided to cut costs by relying on their competitors for material and then producing their own spin on them.

They obviously have no respect for their viewers, MANY OF US of very long duration.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 11/18/2023 at 8:33 AM, AManfred said:

Yeah, I just am not interested in watching another Murdaugh recap with some new info sprinkled into it.

In the past, I've definitely given five hours over weekends to the three network true crime shows (Dateline, 20/20 and 48 Hours), but I can't remember the last time I did. The three all seem to be covering the same cases. Last night's 20/20 was the same case Dateline had on a couple weeks ago.

I deleted the 20/20 episode as soon as I recognized it was the same case Dateline had just covered. It's irritating that they keep covering the same stories. There are so many cases/victims out there (unfortunately!) why do they have to do the same ones? 

As for the episode on Thursday, I deleted it before watching as the episode description sounded like the one from last week with the guy whose body was burned in Miami. I guess I should have started it just to make sure. 

The Murdaugh episode didn't really add much other than the investigators talking about how they unlocked the phone and also a mention of the clerk whose behavior is now under scrutiny. I didn't realize that 10 of the 12 jurors signed affidavits denying the clerk said what Harpootlian claims she did. However, if they can actually prove that she did say or do any of those things they are alleging, I would have to unfortunately agree that a new trial would be appropriate. At this point, I just don't trust the defense is telling the truth. But they've managed to poison the well enough to sow doubt so I guess they succeeded. 

They did interview the prosecutor Crayton Waters and I wish they'd shown more of his cross examination of Alec. I happened to be working from home that day and had the trial on and his cross was pretty effective and it was so funny how he kept needling Alec about his "new story". 

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, GiandujaPie said:

The Murdaugh episode didn't really add much other than the investigators talking about how they unlocked the phone and also a mention of the clerk whose behavior is now under scrutiny.

I thought the most interesting new revelations (if you could call it that) were from the housekeeper.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, GiandujaPie said:

There are so many cases/victims out there (unfortunately!) why do they have to do the same ones? 

My guess?  Participation.  Not all family members or those close to victims are going to want to talk about it. Ditto with cops and prosecutors.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I thought the most interesting new revelations (if you could call it that) were from the housekeeper.

I forgot about that, but yes I agree, it was interesting to hear from her. Although every time she mentioned how Maggie and even Alec were her "friends" I would yell that they weren't her friends, they were her employers LOL. I think it's pretty clear that the Murdaughs felt most people were beneath them, including and especially "the help". 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, GiandujaPie said:

I think it's pretty clear that the Murdaughs felt most people were beneath them, including and especially "the help". 

I think of Maggie as one of the "help" where Alec was concerned.  I think she had a true bond with Blanca, the housekeeper. I don't think she had ANY POWER IN THAT MARRIAGE.

Maggie had already consulted with a divorce atty regarding ending her marriage. 

Alec is a true sociopath and his behavior over MANY years proves that he subjugated Maggie for many years. 

Whether his "drug addict" claims were true or not, he was not sharing much of his life with his wife. 

His son, Paul, was also his victim in more ways than one.  Paul's abusive and controlling behavior the night of the boat crash that killed Mallory was indicative of an "entitled" life modelled by his father. 

Maggie was "out of the loop" along with her ally, Blanca.

Alec knew that Paul's upcoming trial was going to reveal his enormous "hidden life" so he didn't "blink an eye" and killed both him and Maggie.  

• Useful 1
On 11/18/2023 at 8:52 AM, PsychoKlown said:

I watched it.  Sporadically because I kept dozing on and off.  I’ve listened to podcasts, watched Dateline episodes on the subject and even watched some of the trial.  

I have a question to where I cannot for the life of me find the answer.  I thought last night would address it but again, it was glossed over. 

Alec admits on the stand that’s his voice on the tape.  It’s three or so minutes before the murders.  So how does he say he didn’t kill them?   Does he say it’s a masked intruder?  

Every (and I mean every) show does the same thing with this part of the story. They show the prosecutor zero in on the phone voice evidence then never show what Alec says to try to convince the jury he did not kill his wife and son. 

The other mystery to me is that they never discuss the wife Maggie in terms of her life before Alec.  I don’t believe I’ve ever heard comments from her family and that is if she has any remaining family members. 

In last nights episode I found it interesting that Maggie’s assistant is the one tending to Maggie’s and Paul’s grave. 

If anyone can clear this up for me I’d be thankful because I’ve search for the answer and have come up with nothing. 

IIRC he said he then left to go to his parents. He got out of there just in the nick of time to not be shot. He’s so lucky!! (Sarcasm) Also I’ve seen on a few forums by people who believe he’s innocent that he was probably held at gun point while his family was killed but he can never say b/c he’ll be in danger. IMO those people are nuts. 

22 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

I don’t think there was ever any proof of this. No one testified to it, not even Blanca or her sister who she was close to. She may have told or threatened him with a divorce though. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, GiandujaPie said:

The Murdaugh episode didn't really add much other than the investigators talking about how they unlocked the phone

Come on, no one else is going to comment on that?  They were thinking of sending the phone off to that place that might take 7 YEARS to unlock it with a special software, yet not one single person in all the previous years, had ever thought to try the guy's birth date?!?!? SMH

• LOL 4
19 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Come on, no one else is going to comment on that?  They were thinking of sending the phone off to that place that might take 7 YEARS to unlock it with a special software, yet not one single person in all the previous years, had ever thought to try the guy's birth date?!?!? SMH

Well, they said they had a limited number of tries so they didn't want to waste one of the attempts on what seemed like an easily guessable passcode but sometimes we give people too much credit and expect them to be smarter than they really are. LOL Remember Spaceballs and the passcode on the combination lock for the president's luggage? 

• LOL 1
On 11/18/2023 at 8:52 AM, PsychoKlown said:

If I'm remembering correctly, Dateline did a show after the murders and they interviewed the parents of some of the kids that were on Paul's boat.  Apparently, Murdaugh wanted to frame one of the other boys as the boat driver and got heavy handed about it.  I remember that the other parents talked a bit about Maggie and said that she could act warm at times but at other times she let people know that she was a person with money and family power and that other folks had better know that.   She didn't sound like the nicest person from that show but making the pecking order of places like where she lived made her that way.  The episode also pointed out that she was very protective of her sons; frankly, the both of whom sounded like a couple of spoiled privileged brats. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

IIRC he said he then left to go to his parents. He got out of there just in the nick of time to not be shot. He’s so lucky!! (Sarcasm) 

Thank you so much.  I was under the mistaken impression that he went to his patents before he went to the barns but what you’ve provided makes perfect sense with what I recall.  The whole parent visit wasn’t fitting on my timeline but now it does. 

What a slimy creature he is…and for no one in particular let me just say that if he were the last man on earth and I was the last woman…We’d continue to be the last.  There isn’t enough money or paper bags to get me near him. 

His destruction is mind boggling and I’m with the camp that believes we don’t know all his evils. 

21 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:
21 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I don’t think there was ever any proof of this. No one testified to it, not even Blanca or her sister who she was close to. She may have told or threatened him with a divorce though. 

It seems like she'd have had a hard time finding a lawyer who would have had the nerve to represent her against Alex.  

• Like 2

Saturday's episode was a repeat of the woman who killed her husband after having written a blog about How To Murder Your Husband. Glad it was only an hour. I remember seeing this before because of the detective they interviewed that had some weird criss-cross of tape on his forehead. 

There was just so much evidence against this woman, I guess she thought herself a pretty good actress to agree to go on the stand. Apparently her mystery/romance novels didn't make her enough money. I would have perhaps been willing to overlook the stuff with the guns but the fact that her van was captured on video right when the murder was taking place, on top of her claim to have amnesia during those hours, was more than I'd ever be able to swallow.

• Like 2

Friday's (12/1) "The Day Alissa Disappeared" episode.

Observation: 

• Andrea is so annoying. Can't stand her interviewing skills. Too many redundant or leading questions. She needs more distance and less bias like Keith Morrison possesses. 
  • The father definitely suffers from paranoia and has control issues. I suspect he has more extensive mental health issues and maybe personality disorders.  I theorize that he probably killed her and then convinced himself she ran away, using the old note.  It seemed like he had warring impressions of her. As if a part of him saw her as his true daughter and cared about her, but the darker side of him had a sexual attraction to her (perhaps she reminded him of her mother) and at the same time was disgusted by her sexuality. He definitely exhibited some misogynist attitudes. 
  • While I think odds are he did it, I don't think there was enough legal evidence to convict him, especially without a body to prove she was even dead. The first prosecutor who didn't want to bring it to trial was probably keen enough to realize this. The second one who did likely did so out of public pressure from the sister's podcast going viral. Provided double jeopardy doesn't apply (my legal studies son says it probably doesn't) then the judge was correct to dismiss the case at that point. I'm assuming if more evidence is discovered, it could be brought to trial again with a higher confidence of conviction. Would be nice if Dateline spent a few seconds to clarify this rather than wasting it on showing Andrea ask repetitive questions. Although there really needed to be better detective work and more interviews in the early days of her disappearance to acquire more evidence than what they had. 

Questions to ponder:

• Why did Sarah not participate in the Dateline show/do an interview if she was such a public voice for the case?
  • Was Sarah around when the convenient store phone call came in/did she also overhear it?  (Since there is a phone record of the call, I'm thinking it was a wrong number and he convinced himself it was Alissa.)
  • How much did Alissa's biological dad see her? Was surprised when he popped up since he signed off rights. Felt like there was more to the story there.
  • What about Mike's first wife/the mother of his sons? If she was still living, what was her impression of him?
  • Did the 3rd grade teacher sort of drop the ball on Alissa's statement about having sex with her dad? I know she [Alissa] walked it back, but still felt like a guidance counselor or someone should have followed up on that/interviewed her more extensively about the comment, especially given her mother had died (just the year before?) and she was being raised by her stepfather. 
  • Like 14
6 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Friday's (12/1) "The Day Alissa Disappeared" episode.

Observation: 

• Andrea is so annoying. Can't stand her interviewing skills. Too many redundant or leading questions. She needs more distance and less bias like Keith Morrison possesses. 
  • The father definitely suffers from paranoia and has control issues. I suspect he has more extensive mental health issues and maybe personality disorders.  I theorize that he probably killed her and then convinced himself she ran away, using the old note.  It seemed like he had warring impressions of her. As if a part of him saw her as his true daughter and cared about her, but the darker side of him had a sexual attraction to her (perhaps she reminded him of her mother) and at the same time was disgusted by her sexuality. He definitely exhibited some misogynist attitudes. 
  • While I think odds are he did it, I don't think there was enough legal evidence to convict him, especially without a body to prove she was even dead. The first prosecutor who didn't want to bring it to trial was probably keen enough to realize this. The second one who did likely did so out of public pressure from the sister's podcast going viral. Provided double jeopardy doesn't apply (my legal studies son says it probably doesn't) then the judge was correct to dismiss the case at that point. I'm assuming if more evidence is discovered, it could be brought to trial again with a higher confidence of conviction. Would be nice if Dateline spent a few seconds to clarify this rather than wasting it on showing Andrea ask repetitive questions. Although there really needed to be better detective work and more interviews in the early days of her disappearance to acquire more evidence than what they had. 

Questions to ponder:

• Why did Sarah not participate in the Dateline show/do an interview if she was such a public voice for the case?
  • Was Sarah around when the convenient store phone call came in/did she also overhear it?  (Since there is a phone record of the call, I'm thinking it was a wrong number and he convinced himself it was Alissa.)
  • How much did Alissa's biological dad see her? Was surprised when he popped up since he signed off rights. Felt like there was more to the story there.
  • What about Mike's first wife/the mother of his sons? If she was still living, what was her impression of him?
  • Did the 3rd grade teacher sort of drop the ball on Alissa's statement about having sex with her dad? I know she [Alissa] walked it back, but still felt like a guidance counselor or someone should have followed up on that/interviewed her more extensively about the comment, especially given her mother had died (just the year before?) and she was being raised by her stepfather. 

Thanks for including the date and episode title.  Was this airing a rerun. The case sounds familiar and I think I've seen it before, or was it on 20/20 and this is new?

Most importantly, did Andrea make any interesting fashion statements?

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Thanks for including the date and episode title.  Was this airing a rerun. The case sounds familiar and I think I've seen it before, or was it on 20/20 and this is new?

Most importantly, did Andrea make any interesting fashion statements?

YES!!  It was on 20/20 or 48 hours.  I COULDN'T BELIEVE the true-crime shows are covering the same cases!!  So STUPID! 

Andrea was up to her usual "fashion faux pas."  The outfit that particularly caught my eye was some frilly  pink-and-white number the hemline of which was half way up her thigh.  Looked like a chiffon-type fabric one would wear to a garden party.  She chose it to do one of her interviews with the detective and/or missing girl's family. LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

The second one who did likely did so out of public pressure from the sister's podcast going viral.

AS A SIDE NOTE:

The County Atty who charged the case, was Allister Adel, the first woman County Atty we've ever elected in Maricopa County (where I live). 

Unfortunately, a short time after she took office in 2020, she fell and hit her head suffering a brain bleed. 

Soon afterward, there were reports of her having alcohol and anxiety problems. 

She soon took a leave of absence from her post.  This was at the height of the COVID pandemic.

Unfortunately, she passed away in 2022 at the age of 45.

Rachel Mitchell was selected to replace Allister Adel.as our County Attorney (D.A.)  She later ran for election on her own and won.

Some may recall Rachel Mitchell testifying at the contentious confirmation hearing for Justice Kavanaugh as an impartial witness.  She assessed Justice Kavanaugh's fitness to serve on the bench and gave him high marks.  

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 9

I can't read "Maricopa county" without thinking of "Raising Arizona," one of my all time favorite movies.

I found Alessa's story sad and unsatisfying.  Poor young thing had lost her mother, her step-father was a nasty man who called her awful names (at the very least) her teachers let her down and her nice aunt in California and kind older brother, who would have loved to help her, just weren't close at hand when she needed them.

I agree with everything @Peanut6711  said.  There just isn't enough proof.

10 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Andrea was up to her usual "fashion faux pas."  The outfit that particularly caught my eye was some frilly  pink-and-white number the hemline of which was half way up her thigh.  Looked like a chiffon-type fabric one would wear to a garden party.

Garden party dress is what I always think, too.  I wonder if she has someone make her clothes or she finds them in some sort of store that caters to pre-teen girls. I never see anything like them when I'm shopping.

• Like 5