Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E15: Fear And Loathing

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing February 23, 2023:

Cosgrove and Shaw must unravel a string of false crime reports to get to the truth surrounding a respected doctor's murder. Shaw becomes the target of retaliation when he files a complaint against two patrol officers.

• Useful 2

Up until the very end, this was -for me- the best episode of the reboot.

The team working together, most everyone getting a chance to shine -except Dixon, she got the short straw- and the whole team through the whole hour, give and take.

Then the end came and the anvils fell.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

This was a good one. I really like that they're collaborating more across teams. That was sorely missed last season. 

Shaw is a terrific character, and I'm glad he refused to be bullied even if it cost him. I think Dixon did the best she could, but I did wonder how the conversation would have gone with Van Buren in charge. (Would have been a great opportunity for a cameo too- a conversation with either Shaw or Dixon would have fit). 

Interesting that Frank was the first to pull out his phone and take pictures of their badges when he was complaining last season about how cops get recorded. I like that they've developed him more- he still doesn't understand and is occasionally ignorant but he's also had his eyes opened a bit to what his partners have experienced and I appreciated him saying he would back up Shaw's decision. 

I still love Jack and look forward to seeing him each episode. 

I think the revival has hit its groove this season and I'm so glad it's back. 

• Like 14
  • Love 1

This was a good episode - I wondered how it would go at the start and yes there was social commentary but L&O has never shied away from that and it was handled fine - I really like Shaw and I thought Mehcad Brooks gave a great performance tonight, Shaw has been a great addition to the show. I also liked Cosgrove and his interactions with Shaw, I also like how they’ve fleshed out Cosgrove into a well rounded character after a very rocky start in season 21, and I liked how he backed Jalen up and told off the cops for profiling him. Cosgrove/Shaw play off of each other nicely, and I liked Shaw’s “Frank Cosgrove, Esquire” line when they were talking with Price, it was a nice humorous line in a serious episode.

The case was good, I liked the final twist that the defendant wasn’t motivated by bigotry but by greed and wanting to purchase property cheaply so he was stirring up crime reports, that was a good twist. I did call the actual killer the minute he appeared onscreen, but I didn’t know why he did it, and I liked the detective work in figuring it out.

I really liked the interaction between the detectives and DA’s - that was missing last season and I like how they’ve added more of that this season, the interactions were well done in this episode, and I found both the detective side and the legal side strong in this one.

I loved Jack’s scenes as usual and how he gives Price/Maroun advice, it’s a treat to have Jack back as DA.

I also liked that there was no shocking final twist and no unnecessary foot chase in this episode, those have been my 2 major pet peeves with L&O this season and it was nice they avoided those in this one, both of those tropes are annoying and unnecessary.

Hopefully Shaw’s plot with IAB is resolved, since the show’s off for a month, the next episode will probably just be him having returned from suspension, I thought the plot was pretty well handled but I don’t want it dragged on.

Overall I thought this was a well done, well executed episode with good performances and none of the tropes that have annoyed me this season. Solid outing for the show. 

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Like 17

It would have been frosting on the cake, but I really wanted the 2 white cops from the opening scene to realize and admit to Shaw that the tip about a murderer who fit Shaw's description was from the app used by the real estate flipper guy to post bogus, racist, fear-mongering lies in order to drive down prices before he put in offers on properties. Shaw would still have his suspension, and they would have acknowledged that and been sorry, but they would have maybe had their eyes opened a tiny bit.

I think in earlier seasons that would have happened.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

I agree that this was the best episode of the reboot.  In fact, it's the best episode by far and it easily could fit into the original run. 

The personal stuff with Shaw fit in with the case.  This also reflects a more nuanced take on policing that L&O usually gets criticized for not doing.  Sure, the "heroes" were still the cops we follow but they didn't shy away from how corrupt the system is.  I don't think it's a coincidence that the best episode focused more on the cops than the law side and gave Dixon quite a bit to do.  

But it wasn't just that.  The case felt so full. It's what I've been clamoring for.  I feel like so many of the reboot episodes introduce one or two characters before landing on the guilty party.  But this time, there were multiple suspects (the doctor, the ex, the ex's new boyfriend, the actual killer) and then a stretch suspect and then the twist that it was greed.  Just very twisty and good.

3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It would have been frosting on the cake, but I really wanted the 2 white cops from the opening scene to realize and admit to Shaw that the tip about a murderer who fit Shaw's description was from the app used by the real estate flipper guy to post bogus, racist, fear-mongering lies in order to drive down prices before he put in offers on properties. Shaw would still have his suspension, and they would have acknowledged that and been sorry, but they would have maybe had their eyes opened a tiny bit.

I don't think the cops would have had a come to Jesus moment in earlier seasons but I too was waiting for the twist that it was the app that got him targeted by the cops.  Or I was waiting to find out it was the new boyfriend who posted the information after all who posted the info since he mentioned it during his interview.

But making it be about greed was decent as well. 

• Like 12
6 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I don't think the cops would have had a come to Jesus moment in earlier seasons but I too was waiting for the twist that it was the app that got him targeted by the cops. 

Yeah, you're probably right.
But in my head cannon, after the doctor was found dead, the real estate flipper updated his bogus post about the black doctor being an armed criminal, and now said the man in the picture (tall, well-dressed, black) had killed someone, and *that* was why the white cops thought Shaw "fit the description."

ETA:  
OTOH, maybe it’s better not to blame that one greedy house flipper for an endemic problem.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

I also have to say I appreciate the growth in Frank. He's more likable than last season and his partnership  with Shaw is turning into one of my favorites in the history of L&O. Frank and Bernard bumped into each other whereas he and Shaw fit like a glove. 

• Like 9

I wonder if a prior writer from the original series (I mean, before the reboot, obviously!) wrote this episode?

Because I am with everyone else: This episode was easily the best in the reboot. And yes, I also think this episode fits in well with the 20 prior seasons.

It was a downer, but I liked seeing ALL angles of police work shown here: The good and, yeah, the not-so-good corrupt stuff. The original 20 seasons tried to show a slice of life - good and bad - which I think this episode finally captured just as well.

My only complaint here is this episode, while finally hitting the needed elements, is the last for a month. So I truly hope, in the end, the momentum will not get lost in that time with the remaining episodes.

• Like 10
8 hours ago, mommalib said:

I also have to say I appreciate the growth in Frank. He's more likable than last season and his partnership  with Shaw is turning into one of my favorites in the history of L&O. Frank and Bernard bumped into each other whereas he and Shaw fit like a glove. 

Agree really like the dynamic and the Frank character has shown growth.

also, I’ve always like Dancy’s acting but Nolan just wasn’t clicking with me until this episode for some reason.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, storyskip said:

Up until the very end, this was -for me- the best episode of the reboot.

The team working together, most everyone getting a chance to shine -except Dixon, she got the short straw- and the whole team through the whole hour, give and take.

Then the end came and the anvils fell.

I was thinking that ADA Maroun got the short shrift when the detectives went directly to Price instead of the series historic norm to go to the assistant for the initial arrest and charging advice.  And then she took notes as Price paced looking down on her,  the suspect and his initial lawyer during that interview scene.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Raja said:

I was thinking that ADA Maroun got the short shrift when the detectives went directly to Price instead of the series historic norm to go to the assistant for the initial arrest and charging advice.  And then she took notes as Price paced looking down on her,  the suspect and his initial lawyer during that interview scene.

This probably won't surprise anyone, but in all honesty? I didn't miss her.

• Like 6
11 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I like that they've developed him more- he still doesn't understand and is occasionally ignorant but he's also had his eyes opened a bit to what his partners have experienced and I appreciated him saying he would back up Shaw's decision. 

Same. Cosgrove is willing to listen and learn, and now that he trusts Shaw, he's totally got his back.

10 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

the ex's new boyfriend

I thought more would come of him, as he seemed a bit abusive to me. Getting jealous that the father of his girlfriend's kid is around? That's gross. At least someone (Frank?) mentioned the parent angle, but lady: You in danger, girl.

I also wondered if the security store guy would play a bigger part, as he was also posting crime stats online. Or maybe that was to let us know how common it is?

26 minutes ago, Raja said:

I was thinking that ADA Maroun got the short shrift

She's the weakest link on the show for me by far, both the character and the actor.

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I thought more would come of him, as he seemed a bit abusive to me. Getting jealous that the father of his girlfriend's kid is around? That's gross. At least someone (Frank?) mentioned the parent angle, but lady: You in danger, girl.

I also wondered if the security store guy would play a bigger part, as he was also posting crime stats online. Or maybe that was to let us know how common it is?

I hope she knows time to get out as the ex wife all but accused the current boyfriend as she pointed the detectives towards him.

I would guess for episode time the security service would also be the victim of the evil landlord as he was a victim of garbage being put in for his advertisement/tracking app that spit garbage back out.

The evil developer was only different in this case from the many in fictional history who actually commission criminals to do real crimes in order to suppress property values to make it easier to acquire more real estate. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Raja said:

I hope she knows time to get out as the ex wife all but accused the current boyfriend as she pointed the detectives towards him.

The ex seemed terrified of him. So many flags in that relationship. 

Agree with everyone that this was a fantastic episode.  I get that the point of Shaw's complaint against the two cops being dropped is to show that there is systemic racism even within the police force.  But I don't get why the charge against him was allowed to proceed, especially considering he identified himself as a detective.  If they didn't want him reaching into his coat, they could have asked him for his badge number and called it in.

Frank Cosgrove has really been developed into a great character, and not the hotheaded, impatient, possibly racist guy that they seemed to portray him as last year.  I loved how Frank instantly came to support Shaw and said he would have his back.  I've always liked Jeffrey Donovan and I think he's doing a great job this year.

Best episode yet for Hugh Dancy, and Jack was great and wise here too.  Maroun didn't get as much to do, but I don't mind, because so many episodes this season seems to have been Maroun-centric.

When the show comes back I hope that Shaw has gotten exonerated.  

I could have sworn that the producers had promised that there would be some reference as to the whereabouts of Kevin Bernard.  Did I miss it?  I don't think so.  15 episodes in and nary a mention.  Why can't one of the characters have a throwaway line that mentions where he went?

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Frank Cosgrove has really been developed into a great character, and not the hotheaded, impatient, possibly racist guy that they seemed to portray him as last year.  I loved how Frank instantly came to support Shaw and said he would have his back.  I've always liked Jeffrey Donovan and I think he's doing a great job this year.

My favorite bit in the episode was when Cosgrove covered his head with his hands in exasperation right after Shaw and the white detectives finally parted ways, all of them still angry.

9 minutes ago, blackwing said:

When the show comes back I hope that Shaw has gotten exonerated.  

I thought Shaw being suspended for X number of days meant the issue was closed. Or can there still be exoneration later? 

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought Shaw being suspended for X number of days meant the issue was closed. Or can there still be exoneration later? 

The allegation by Shaw against the two white cops was definitely closed by IA.

However, Dixon said the allegation against him was ongoing and said he was suspended for a week without pay.  I assume the suspension was some preliminary decision to take him off the job while IA continues to investigate the situation.  I think they could easily come back and decide to hold further hearings or take further action.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

But I don't get why the charge against him was allowed to proceed, especially considering he identified himself as a detective.

Systemic racism again. Two white cops said he was uncooperative. That's going to hold more weight than a Black detective saying he tried to show them his shield in a racist environment.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1

Well add me to the club! 
I would say the best episode of the reboot so far, but the reboot is so weak that it would not be fair for this episode.
So I agree that this is one of the best L&O.  Very well written and acted and directed. 

I hope they will keep the good work going.

• Like 2
On 2/23/2023 at 9:18 PM, Xeliou66 said:

The case was good, I liked the final twist that the defendant wasn’t motivated by bigotry but by greed and wanting to purchase property cheaply so he was stirring up crime reports, that was a good twist.

The only thing I’d say is that he was motivated by greed and racism.  He posted pics of black men in his alerts for a reason- because that’s also his mental image of a “suspicious individual.”

The other big issue I had with this show was that it felt silly that Price somehow didn’t know that Shaw was under IA investigation.  Dude- do you even prep your witnesses?  That’s something that he absolutely should have known about- and even if he didn’t want to bring it up himself, that’s something that could have been remedied on redirect.  Geez… even if it was a complete surprise, Shaw is still on the stand - give him a chance to clarify the situation.  Then again, imo, Price is a terrible lawyer overall and doesn’t seem to know how to be a prosecutor.

Still, overall I think this was easily the best episode in a while, if not the entire reboot.  Maybe it’s because they had a significant B Plot with Shaw, but we didn’t get some of the standard L&O cliches - the foot chase, evidence getting tossed, a witness refusing to testify…. Even the objection rulings felt reasonable.  Basically, the show just felt like nearly everything played out like I felt it logically would.

I even think it mostly made sense to have the IA stuff happen off screen.  As much as I would have wanted to see, for example, a scene of Cosgrove backing up Shaw’s account (and presumably getting “but you didn’t see what happened before“-ed by the lawyer- having it all go down behind closed doors said everything that needed to be said about the whole situation.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
59 minutes ago, Chyromaniac said:

Dude- do you even prep your witnesses?

The show has done this a number of times, and I always think the same thing. Don't the ADAs talk to the witnesses first? It's not like it was some big secret—if the defense could find out, the prosecution certainly could. And should have. It makes them look so incompetent.

• Like 2

Felt so bad for Shaw in the beginning. Let's be honest though, if it was the real world, Shaw would've been shot the moment he reached and everyone on Fox would've said he shouldn't have resisted arrest. 

On a personal note, I am a conservative but I HATE the way conservative media talks about policing and the citizenry. I respect police but they are not always right. I thought L&O did a fantastic job of highlighting that. I loved Shaw's outrage and Cosgrove's support. 

ETA: That real estate guy is trash. So evil to take pictures of innocent Black men and label them as dangerous. I can't even imagine if something like this were to happen in the real world. 

Edited by Nintra16
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 2/23/2023 at 10:18 PM, Xeliou66 said:

The case was good, I liked the final twist that the defendant wasn’t motivated by bigotry but by greed and wanting to purchase property cheaply so he was stirring up crime reports, that was a good twist. I did call the actual killer the minute he appeared onscreen, but I didn’t know why he did it, and I liked the detective work in figuring it out.

It wasn't that he wasn't bigoted; it was that his bigotry was supporting his greed. As so much of the time in real life, people find a way to make a profit off prejudice.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 2/23/2023 at 8:09 PM, storyskip said:

I also have to admit that I’m a simple audience member to please.  Nolan helping himself to Frank’s lunch made the episode for me.

Me too! It wasn’t just you. I loved that! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
On 2/23/2023 at 7:28 PM, shapeshifter said:

It would have been frosting on the cake, but I really wanted the 2 white cops from the opening scene to realize and admit to Shaw that the tip about a murderer who fit Shaw's description was from the app used by the real estate flipper guy to post bogus, racist, fear-mongering lies in order to drive down prices before he put in offers on properties.

They never explicitly said why the cops thought that Shaw looked like the murder suspect, given that there were no witnesses to the murder. That info had to come from somewhere, and it makes some sense that the app tips (are they tied into the cops somehow?) supplied that description. 

The app seemed like an update on vigilante mobs. Information gets shared and riles people up to the point where they think they have to take matters into their own hands, usually with bad results. Original L&O did at least 1 episode on that theme. 

Also, while I know that killers sometimes try to observe and participate in an investigation, it seemed a little too convenient that the two cops stopped Shaw when he was just around the corner from the murder scene. It was also bogus that when he said he was going to take his badge out, they seemed to agree but then grabbed him. It seems strange, but aren't there protocols for when cops try to arrest other cops? For example, I'm wondering about situations where someone is undercover and police responding to a call don't know that. Do they have a secret password, or do they just go along with the program and wait until they are in a secure location to set the record straight?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, KittyQ said:

They never explicitly said why the cops thought that Shaw looked like the murder suspect, given that there were no witnesses to the murder. That info had to come from somewhere, and it makes some sense that the app tips (are they tied into the cops somehow?) supplied that description. 

During the trial we get this line:

• "Counselor, I'm aware that the NYPD is using... certain crime-fighting apps."

I thought the 2 white cops that tried to arrest Shaw referenced using an app too, but I'd have to rewatch to be sure.

19 hours ago, KittyQ said:

They never explicitly said why the cops thought that Shaw looked like the murder suspect, given that there were no witnesses to the murder

Actually, I think they said "a suspect" (or a "murder suspect"), not necessarily for the COTW.

(edited)

I found the real estate angle pretty ludicrous. It takes more than a couple of unsubstantiated crime reports to depress property values significantly. And even if they do, it takes a long time to recover from the effect. Its more like years, not months.

Edited by Rickster
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

I agree that this is the best of the reboot so far. Felt more like a classic episode - good, shoe leather detective work, not everything solved with a camera. No chases. Twisty case and FauxNextdoor as part of the crime made my day. 

The open was outstanding - I finally liked Cosgrove, him coming in and standing up for Shaw was great after last year. Donovan and Brooks are a great team - that partnership has really gelled.

Brooks was definitely the MVP this ep - great work. At the end, I was rooting for him to tell the cops to go to hell and take Price’s suggestion about joining the DA’s office. The absolute certainty and coolness when he explained why they arrested RealEstateGuy was terrific. 

Edited by ML89
  • Like 5

Great episode but I'm so so so mad on Shaw's behalf!!!!! Grrrr

Oh well I suppose investment is a good thing.

Loved that Cosgrove stood by him. The way it was portrayed, it felt like he truly had his back, no matter what. I've always like Cosgrove. Doesn't always say things that are soothing to the ear but he's a good egg. Love love love this partnership.

Omg now that they've put it out in the universe I want to see Shaw at the DA's office. Can't they rig up an episode where he's forced to help out!!!!!! I waaaaant it!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 2/23/2023 at 10:28 PM, shapeshifter said:

I actually thought that's where they were headed too.

• Like 2