Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E14: FunkkOFF!; Retold; Chub Rub; Kahawa

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Emma Grede, the CEO and co-founder of fashion juggernaut Good American, founding partner of SKIMS and co-founder of Safely, returns to the Tank. First into the Tank are best friends from Dana Point, California, and Rye, New York, who hope the Sharks sink their teeth into their all-in-one product aimed at keeping smiles fresh and bright. Entrepreneurs from Los Angeles present their solution to a growing problem in the apparel industry with their recycling service; while an entrepreneur from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, pitches her easy-to-apply anti-chafing product that "saves thighs." Last into the Tank is an entrepreneur from New York City who is on a mission to challenge the way the coffee industry operates by empowering women farmers and laborers with her beverage originating from her African roots.

In a "Shark Tank" update, Kaley, Christian and Keira Young from New York City update us on Cupboard Pro, a two-sided bamboo cutting board with a cup invented by their dad, firehouse chef Keith Young.  

The Sharks in this episode are Mark Cuban, Robert Herjavec, Kevin O'Leary, Lori Greiner and guest Shark Emma Grede.

• Useful 1

I really don’t understand the clothing recycling bag. Instead of dropping clothes off at Goodwill or arranging a free pickup from the dozen charities offering to come to my house, I’m supposed to pay $14 to send a small quantity?  If I were cleaning out a closet, it would take many of those bags. 
Baffling. 

• Like 16

Sharks-Emma Grede, Mark, Robert, Lori, Kevin

Funkkoff!-Keeps smiles fresh and bright with portable toothpaste and brush.  Toothbrush and tooth gel, about 30 uses per set, reusable.   Amazon, and a few stores.  Sales are less than $100k.   decent margins, not profitable yet.  They have a gel formula, and coming out with toothpaste to fit in the device. 

No deal.  Robert’s now back in.   

Robert makes the deal.

ReTold Recycling-Solution to apparel industry recycling issue, a mail-in service to mail up to 5 lbs. of items, and they are recycled, and the company gets money from some companies that buy the recycled materials. .    Consumer who sends clothing in pays through a subscription network, $14.50.  43% gross profit.   Some businesses advertise the recycling on their website to their customers.  Mark and others suggest ways to make more money, and get more participation from customers.

I just don't see why this exists, and don't understand why I would pay to recycle when I can drop off a big bag at my local charity store. 

Mark makes a great offer, and has some very useful suggestions. 

Mark makes the deal.

Chub Rub Patch-Anti-chafing product for your inner, upper thighs. Nasty, painful rash when your upper thighs rub together.   Patches are thin, and can be worn all day.   Mark and Robert talk about their issues with chub rub.   One time use, and you can wear for three or four days.   Emma doesn’t like the name of the product.  Emma worries about allergies.   Mark says the Mavs trainers use Vaseline instead.  

No deal.

Kahawa 1893 Coffee-Beverage with African Roots. Their mission is to fairly compensate their laborers (coffee harvesters).  This is Kenyan coffee, farmers don’t make enough to pay them, and the 90% of the harvesters are women, some aren’t even paid.   Customers can tip the coffee farmers/harvesters.   There are 16 different types of roasts and flavors.    1893 is when coffee was commercially grown for the first time in Kenya.   Payments go to the male landowners, so the women don’t get paid, so the tips go to the women, and payments do too.  The founder’s background is amazing. 

Robert and Emma will go in together, for 25% with more cash.  

Deal made with Emma. 

Update: Cupboard Pro. Over 7 million dollars in sales over four years.   They still donate in their father’s name to 9/11 charities, and they’ve raised over $100k for the NYFD Foundation.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

I’m going to try to not get on my soapbox. The majority of items donated to thrift stores don’t get sold there (about 20% gets sold). Yes, some is used by textile recyclers, but the majority end up in Accra, Ghana, ruining their economy and environment. 

2 hours ago, Tango64 said:

I really don’t understand the clothing recycling bag. Instead of dropping clothes off at Goodwill or arranging a free pickup from the dozen charities offering to come to my house, I’m supposed to pay $14 to send a small quantity?  If I were cleaning out a closet, it would take many of those bags. 
Baffling. 

• Like 4

Funkkoff women (and why the extra K?), the one on the right had a one-shoulder cutout on her dress. I hate it. Please, let that not be a new trend. As for the product, I can get a little travel toothbrush in the plastic cover that turns into a handle, with the tiny tube of toothpaste. For free from my dentist. 

Coffee lady is awesome. She almost had two sharks for 16% total. I hope to see great things from her in the future. Unfortunately, I will not be buying her product because I absolutely can't stand the taste of coffee. 

• Like 3

Ah Lori's back with her messy wig. Seriously, didn't any of the stylists even once look at her hair and think that it looks so weird or messed up? Maybe it's intentional who knows..

I thought the first pitch presenters were so odd. They just seemed like two typical wine drinking, rich white ladies who were bored with their lives and decided to come up with a random product to make them think they were "entrepreneurs"..

Nice to see Mark & Robert speaking about chub rub as well.. I'm sure Vaseline is a better/cheaper option but do people really walk around with Vaseline on their thighs all the time? Won't it stain their clothes or furniture when you sit down?

The coffee girl should have thanked Robert since Emma essentially changed her entire offer because of him.. Makes me wonder why they offer such high equity in the first place and then are willing to take a lesser % just to make the deal...

• Like 2

I hear what hula-la is saying about the unsold or un-upcycled textiles.  In addition to tons of unrecycled plastics clogging the oceans and waterways, textiles are a huge problem in their own right.  There are not enough upcyclers or thrift shop buyers and sellers to accommodate the mountains of textiles dumped in Africa, Asia, and South America.  We desperately need more recycling centers that will take textiles and repurpose the pulp.  My state recently (finally) banned putting textiles in the trash. My city’s recycling center has a program where we can drop off any amount of clothing for free, or they will do curbside pick up for 2 large trash bags for $10.  I stopped bringing used clothing to Salvation Army and Goodwill after hearing how some workers take goods home themselves and many resell on EBay.  I donate to the local Veterans center and the women’s shelter instead.

The mini fancy toothbrush thingy is nothing I’d buy. For one, I haaaaate the name. And like many other people with two brain cells, I have easy access to a travel size toothbrush and mini toothpaste I can stick in my makeup bag if I think I’ll need to freshen up during my day/night out. Guess what’s also in my makeup bag? A lipstick with a small mirror on the bottom of the tube. 

Meh on the Chub-Rub.  I see the usefulness of it, but not a “problem” I am desperate to solve personally.  I guess I am not active enough, long enough for my chub to rub?

Liked the coffee company.  I hope the tipping money truly gets to the women workers.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

I hear what hula-la is saying about the unsold or un-upcycled textiles.  In addition to tons of unrecycled plastics clogging the oceans and waterways, textiles are a huge problem in their own right.  There are not enough upcyclers or thrift shop buyers and sellers to accommodate the mountains of textiles dumped in Africa, Asia, and South America.  We desperately need more recycling centers that will take textiles and repurpose the pulp.  My state recently (finally) banned putting textiles in the trash. My city’s recycling center has a program where we can drop off any amount of clothing for free, or they will do curbside pick up for 2 large trash bags for $10.  I stopped bringing used clothing to Salvation Army and Goodwill after hearing how some workers take goods home themselves and many resell on EBay.  I donate to the local Veterans center and the women’s shelter instead.

I wasn't clear on whether it was OK to send clothing that is too worn out to resell. That would be the attraction for me. At this moment, I don't know of anywhere I can take it besides throwing it in the trash. Some of the fabric can be cut up for rags, but not everything is suitable for that.

I know what you mean about thrift shops. I used to be an eBay reseller and I'd run around the region and buy lots of stuff to sell online. What was profoundly disturbing to me was seeing the back rooms at some of these stores packed to the rafters with donated clothing. There was no way it could ever all be placed in stores or sold. Where would it go? Why is there so much of it?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tired and hungry said:

Nice to see Mark & Robert speaking about chub rub as well.. I'm sure Vaseline is a better/cheaper option but do people really walk around with Vaseline on their thighs all the time? Won't it stain their clothes or furniture when you sit down?

33 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Meh on the Chub-Rub.  I see the usefulness of it, but not a “problem” I am desperate to solve personally.  I guess I am not active enough, long enough for my chub to rub?

I’m heavier. My thighs rub and I HAVE to have something in my thigh area to prevent the rash. Most of the time, it’s pants or tights, but in the summer months I do like to wear dresses without tights and shorts. I have found antiperspirant works well when I’m wearing slighter short shorts where I can’t wear the the thin short things I bought that are kind of like shape wear, but not as tight (forget their official name, but I’m sure you get the idea). What I don’t like about those thin shorts is you can hear the material rubbing against each other when I walk, which is embarrassing. The antiperspirant works well, but does need to be reapplied as needed (hotter/sweatier days I need to reapply  ore frequently). So, I bought these to try out. If I can descretly wear these without being able to hear them rubbing against each other, it’s worth it!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

There’s a product that you can buy that helps with the thigh rub (I can’t remember the name, but I feel that she sells in Target). As I’m in Canada, where we sadly don’t have Target anymore, I went to a sports store and bought a little stick of body glide, that runners use. Works great for me. @Whimsy, I know what you mean about the noise. You can hear me coming a mile away! 

if you want to learn more about the issues with clothing donation, I recommend reading everything that Aja Barber writes. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, hula-la said:

if you want to learn more about the issues with clothing donation, I recommend reading everything that Aja Barber writes. 

Thank you. I'll look into her writing. The whole fashion thing is something I don't relate to at all, so it's mind-boggling to me. I almost never buy clothing, and it's almost never new. I wear it until it falls apart.

• Love 1

I understand the point of retold vs thrift stores/ goodwill but 14.95 is too much

Same with the tooth thing did they say it was $20+?  Too much

The coffee is good idea but first I don't like coffee and second the market I'd incredibly crowded. 

Chub rub seems like a good idea. 

8 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I’m heavier. My thighs rub and I HAVE to have something in my thigh area to prevent the rash. 

Google "medical grade tape" and you will find her numerous competitors many of whom are much cheaper.

23 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Mark and Robert talk about their issues with chub rub.   One time use, and you can wear for three or four days.

Are men supposed to shave before applying it? If so, I would think it would be pretty uncomfortable to deal with itch as your hair grows back.

Are these people leaving it on for 3 or 4 days showering daily? If so, I would think having that wet patch on your skin would cause an even worse rash than the one you are trying to prevent.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I can get a little travel toothbrush in the plastic cover that turns into a handle, with the tiny tube of toothpaste. For free from my dentist. 

You also get that for free in your Welcome Kit whenever you get on an overseas flight. There is no need to be able to buy one at every gift shop you come to. The device you're describing also lets you brush all of your teeth.

With their device you can't reach your molars or even the backs of the four teeth that they were suggesting were the only ones that need to be cleaned.

10 hours ago, tired and hungry said:

They just seemed like two typical wine drinking, rich white ladies who were bored with their lives and decided to come up with a random product to make them think they were "entrepreneurs"..

Their biggest problem in life seemed to be how to get wine stains off their front teeth when they're trolling for their next pickup. Have they considered rubbing them with a cocktail napkin?

I would think before they do their walk of shame, they would prefer to be able to do a full mouth brushing instead of applying gel to just their front teeth, so you're back to needing your toothbrush and paste in your purse for after your conquest even if only their $22 device was needed beforehand (or are they making sure that they are only picking up guys who are willing to share toothbrushes?) 

• Like 2
On 2/19/2023 at 11:38 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Most of the clothes aren't resold only about 20% and many end up overseas causing landfill and pollution problems. 

How was selling people a $0.15 bag for $14.50 to collect 5lbs of clothes going to change that?

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, eel21788 said:

How was selling people a $0.15 bag for $17.50 to collect 5lbs of clothes going to change that?

I don't know that it does but the claim by the company is they will do better than the free donations places. 

But I agree it seems like a lot for 5 pounds of clothes

What bothered me about the toothbrush thing was that it was more single-use plastic for $22. They could make the brush head changeable and the tube refillable and put people on 30-day refill subscriptions.

Also, it looked like they spent a lot of money on premium packaging.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I guess I'll never be a mega successful entrepreneur like Emma, cause I loved the name "Chub rub."  I also think it looks like a very useful product, but not at all investible.  I liked the woman, and hope she got the "shark tank bounce."

I thought the real value of the clothes recycler was selling virtue to companies that needed to boost their visible sustainability.  Otherwise,  paying $15 to get rid of 5 lbs of used clothes seemed like something I would never do, especially when I'd probably have to take it to the PO anyway (I don't live in an apartment, or work in an office building).  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't know that it does but the claim by the company is they will do better than the free donations places. 

But I agree it seems like a lot for 5 pounds of clothes

Except they said that they're selling some (and by "some," I thought they meant "most") to thrift stores for $0.10 per pound ($0.50 per bag), so we're back to 80% not being resold and going to landfills. 

• Like 2
On 2/18/2023 at 9:41 PM, eel21788 said:

Their biggest problem in life seemed to be how to get wine stains off their front teeth when they're trolling for their next pickup. Have they considered rubbing them with a cocktail napkin?

I would think before they do their walk of shame, they would prefer to be able to do a full mouth brushing instead of applying gel to just their front teeth, so you're back to needing your toothbrush and paste in your purse for after your conquest even if only their $22 device was needed beforehand (or are they making sure that they are only picking up guys who are willing to share toothbrushes?) 

This is such an odd take.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1

Most women (even thin ones) get chub rub in the summer when we wear dresses and skirts. The best product I’ve found is called Thigh Rescue and is specifically made to prevent the chafing. Looks like deodorant but each application lasts for hours and one stick lasts for months. And you don’t have to wear sticky pads on your skin that look like you have an injury. 

Mark was right that the textile recycling company’s best bet is to work with clothing brands. I know of a few brands that charge for recycling bags but then give you a credit for the same amount towards their own clothes (translation: pay $20 for a bag you can stuff with textiles to recycle and receive a $20 gift card). But even without that, I don’t think $15 to get rid of textiles responsibly is too expensive. I waste more than that on much dumber stuff on a regular basis. 

Funkkoff!

So it wasn't just me who disagreed with Robert: "This is a great product!" and figured that it's just as easy to carry a travel size toothbrush and paste.  I cannot understand why the Sharks thought that this was so amazing.

ReTold

I really can't fathom that most people - especially these days - have the disposable income to spend on recycling clothes when there are free options available in so many places.  Their best bet is to pair with retailers who will give you the bag for free or store credit if you buy one as others suggested.  Otherwise, I don't see how this flies.

Chub Rub Patch

I think that the idea is good, but the cost!  $9 and you can't reuse it, but you can keep it on for 3-4 days.  I mean, they are going to be pretty nasty by then.  She needs to find a way to make them reusable or bring the cost way down.  And even if the cost is brought down, that's a lot of Chub Rubs winding up in the garbage by regular users when they're one-time-use.

Kahawa 1893

I don't ever drink coffee, but I like the idea of the women getting some money.  For all the money that she was making with the coffee, there was only $10K in tips - clearly only a tiny proportion of people are actually giving them out.  Maybe the system is too long - scan QR code, have to fill in a lot of stuff - people might just say "screw all that," I don't know.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, aemom said:

I think that the idea is good, but the cost!  $9 and you can't reuse it, but you can keep it on for 3-4 days.  I mean, they are going to be pretty nasty by then.  She needs to find a way to make them reusable or bring the cost way down.  And even if the cost is brought down, that's a lot of Chub Rubs winding up in the garbage by regular users when they're one-time-use.

I agree.  I wear a pair of shorts that are a lot like bike shorts, comfy and they wash up great.  The idea of those pads isn't appealing at all.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, aemom said:

Funkkoff!

So it wasn't just me who disagreed with Robert: "This is a great product!" and figured that it's just as easy to carry a travel size toothbrush and paste.  I cannot understand why the Sharks thought that this was so amazing.

They had an amazing ability to burn through money. After spending $1million on R & D, they had made all of $80,000 in sales at their ridiculous price point of $22 (3636 units sold) for 30 uses ($0.73 per use is a ludicrous amount of money to spend in order to brush only your front teeth).

I can never understand why the snarks are always so impressed by the margins (theirs is 34%) when the product isn't selling. If a lower price point equals more sales, then lower margins lead to higher revenue. Isn't that Business School 101?

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

They had an amazing ability to burn through money. After spending $1million on R & D, they had made all of $80,000 in sales at their ridiculous price point of $22 (3636 units sold) for 30 uses ($0.73 per use is a ludicrous amount of money to spend in order to brush only your front teeth).

I can never understand why the snarks are always so impressed by the margins (theirs is 34%) when the product isn't selling. If a lower price point equals more sales, then lower margins lead to higher revenue. Isn't that Business School 101?

This brings up something that I’ve been thinking of for a while…if I like a product then I see it on here that the6 have a 75% profit margins, I’m going to start thinking it is over priced.  

• Like 6

I got teary during the update on the cutting board.

Some many people thinking up products and then looking for a problem that relates to the product.  Like previously mentioned, use a napkin or rinse out one's mouth in the bathroom to get rid of wine stains, etc.

Didn't see the purpose of the clothing recycle thing as someone already pointed out, they said they resell it for 10 cents a pound.  Mark identified it's value as a marketing ploy for brands to appear to be environmentally responsible (when it reality, it's not).

If the coffee presenter wants money to go to the workers, then it should be part of the product/price.  According to the presenter, most consumers don't do that.  It should be part of the company's responsibility to ensure that workers are adequately paid-don't put it back on consumers.  The coffee market is very crowded and, although I liked her packaging, I doubt I would pay a premium price for her product.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I got teary during the update on the cutting board.

The cutting board is/was a great idea but they sold it through Williams Sonoma and it took forever for them to gear up for it, plus with it being WS once they had the boards in stock 12 months later the price was ridiculous. I have no idea which of the sharks they went with organized that deal but it was way overpriced & in very short supply. Millions missed out on all around.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

All of the sharks went in on the deal, but their profits go to 9/11 charities.    

I know but I doubt they all organized the deal with Williams Sonoma together and surely more sales equals more profits, virtually no sales for the first 12 months as they weren't even available. Poor effort on the part of every shark in my opinion.

• Useful 1