Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: The Con

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing February 14, 2023:

With help from the FBI, Detective Lopez puts everything on the line to help Elijah Stone take down a gang leader in exchange for her safety. Meanwhile, Nolan and Bailey must deal with the secrets and shady dealings his late mother left behind.

• Thanks 2

Why are they so stuck on Elijah? He just isn't as compelling a villain as they seem to think he is. The actor's okay but this story doesn't work at all anymore. And it never worked like I think they wanted it to. His Teflon-ness is just beyond ridiculous. Please, show, let it go.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I was hoping this would be the end of the Elijah storyline.  Of course I wasn't that lucky.  This is really turning me off this show.  

7 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I can’t even follow the nonsensical Elijah shenanigans at this point. Please put it out of its misery. 

Oh, I can follow the "nonsensical Elijah shenanigans" while multi-tasking. I just don't want to.

21 minutes ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

Why are they so stuck on Elijah? He just isn't as compelling a villain as they seem to think he is. The actor's okay but this story doesn't work at all anymore.

I can't help wondering if the actor pissed off a head writer or someone. 
Or maybe this is an Emperor Has No Clothes scenario in which somebody's talentless nephew was given an opportunity to write the Elijah plot scripts.
Whatever is going wrong behind the scenes (all the writers had Covid or RSV or the flu or Daycare Center Pneumonia?) I have to assume that by the time this week's episode was reviewed by whomever reviews episodes (please don't tell me nobody's doing that) that someone is going to step up and say: Let's wrap this up in the first 15 minutes of the next episode.

In contrast to Elijah and the Sleepless South American out for revenge both refusing to die,  
thankfully Nolan's mom stayed dead. 
Although I would have been okay with some shenanigans in which she popped up again if it could be done with humor.
It was kind of cathartic to watch Nolan and Bailey be able to walk away carefree from his mom's house, even though I'm sure in real life it would have been a legal and financial nightmare for him. Right?

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

those lil'buggers, they fooled me that they would kill Elijah with their police con...but nope.. no such luck..
at least we did not have Simone, cause when I saw her FBI buddies I was terrified for a moment!

Someone somewhere  must tell police drama TV writers, that keep having a big villain after another, crimelord or serial killer, is not interesting anymore, it is just a boring cliche. Especially for The Rookie that the "cases" of the week's patrol was its initial charm. 

I confess... I do... I admit it dammit... I even enjoyed Bailey more than the Elijah story. There, I said it! :D

9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

thankfully Nolan's mom stayed dead. 

hahaha, I also thought she was alive and her death was some kind of con.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4

Here's the thing - I get it. I think we all GET it, that Big Bads really ARE better than generic villains. It gives the plots greater scope. So we totally get the idea of having Big Bads. The thing is that you have to EARN your Big Bad. You can't just TELL us that this person is the Big Bad and then that's it. Even Buffy the Vampire Slayer, one of the first shows to really revolve around a Big Bad per season, had trouble at times with getting its fans to give a shit about each Season's choice of Big Bad (remember freakin' Adam?) 

And yes, it isn't Brandon Jay McLaren's fault. Elijah is just extremely poorly written. Things work out for him because...they just do. The serial killer cult stuff was bad, too, but it was slightly better, and there, Hawley basically just cribbed from his own earlier series, The Following (which, by the way, when I first found out that he did both shows, I was, like, "Oh, of course, because law enforcement are mind-numbingly dumb on both of those shows"), so he at least knew it would work as a concept.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Although I would have been okay with some shenanigans in which she popped up again if it could be done with humor.

It was kind of cathartic to watch Nolan and Bailey be able to walk away carefree from his mom's house, even though I'm sure in real life it would have been a legal and financial nightmare for him. Right?

In real life doesn't really seem to be a good measure for this show - I still like it, but yeah, it's not as easy as packing up the house and not doing any thing else at all.

My (almost) exact words at the end was "Oh, fxxx, they're doubling down. @%$#@#!" One big bad is bad enough, but then this woman too.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of the Elijah and/or insomniac!LaFiera story lines either.  However, I will say I liked all the tension in the initial meeting scenes, as well as the "will he/won't he" scenes at the sting operations.  Those were well done.  But when the tension is gone you realize how ridiculous it all is.

I also got really confused at the sting house, because for a while there I thought they'd recruited Chen's puppy to be the stand-in for insomniac!LaFiera's girlfriend and I was all "Whaaaaa?  That's messed up!" when I realized it was some other FBI person.

So.  Nolan's mother is most sincerely dead.   I mean, if she's been cremated, then one can safely make that assumption, eh?  Unless.........the funeral director is in cahoots with her on one of her schemes and helping Nolan's mom fake her death because she's got waaaaay over her head on all her nefarious schemes.  Smuggling heroin is a pretty big step into criminality from snake oil cons.  I did crack up at how the tasers came in handy!  And honestly?  I didn't mind Bailey in this situation.  When she's not looking ridiculous as a firefighter and popping up as the chess grandmaster or sugar artist just at the exact time a chess grandmaster or sugar artist is needed for the case of the week, then she's fine.  I even cracked up at her "How do you feel about a controlled burn?" question when she first realizes what a chore cleaning Mama Nolan's house out in a day and a half would be.

Did they ever get to eat the sandwiches?  😆

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I had a sneaking suspicion this was going to not resolve the Elijah storyline and of course, it went exactly the way I figured it would with Elijah and LaFiera teaming up (I even turned to the last moments of FBI because I knew how it was going).  How do TPTB not know that this storyline is a turn-off?  Do they really think the audience was waiting for this?  That, and I have a feeling they are going to drag this out through May sweeps which does not make me happy.

Could care less about Nolan and his momma shenanigans...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I also got really confused at the sting house, because for a while there I thought they'd recruited Chen's puppy to be the stand-in for insomniac!LaFiera's girlfriend and I was all "Whaaaaa?  That's messed up!" when I realized it was some other FBI person

Wait. That wasn’t Chen’s puppy? 
Well, now that you mention it, that makes sense, but:

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

In real life doesn't really seem to be a good measure for this show

😉

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Zaffy said:

I thought it was Celina...

Pretty sure it was bc Lisseth Chavez was credited and I don't think Celina was in the episode otherwise. I also thought it was Tamara at first which is weird because I've thought they looked alike before (beyond dark hair)

Edited by JamieLynn832002
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, Zaffy said:

I confess... I do... I admit it dammit... I even enjoyed Bailey more than the Elijah story. There, I said it! :D

You’re not alone, honest!

I want to like Angela. The actress and the character can be funny, blunt, competent, and compelling. But her putting the screws to Elijah, starting with breaking into his house, is some How To Get Away With Murder-level bullshit. They really don’t hold as many cards on him as they think, and I was alternating between disbelief and second-hand embarrassment the whole time. The whole con felt not only doomed to fail (because of course the enemies are going to sit down in La Sleepless’s private jet) but genuinely cringeworthy. 

I don’t want to hate-watch you, show! Please don’t make me. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

What a boring, disjointed episode! 😴

Not only we are stuck with Elijah Stone, they have the nerve to keep torturing us by bringing back Abril Rodas too. WTH man…

The Wopez buying and escaping to their private island. Is this some kinda contingency plan for the actress’ maternity leave??!

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 2

Speaking of illogical, next week seems to be a Valentines Day episode, while last night was literally Valentines Day! Did somebody mess up the episode order? I could have waited a week to see more Elijah, believe me. 
I know that Nolan’s mother was a criminal con artist type, but heroin? That seems a step up from pyramid schemes and rip off beauty products. I half expected Elijah to show up at her door, if he hadn’t been otherwise occupied of course. 
I seem to have missed how Nolan’s old girlfriend was involved. He ran into her in the street and the next thing, she was bringing them sandwiches, and was giving them the news of the foreclosure. Was she a realtor, a lawyer? Given Nolan’s taste in women, probably both. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

So, so, so much better of a nickname than my tortured "insomnia!LaFiera."

Thanks! I was going to try out “Sleepless In Zihuatenejo,” or wherever she’s supposed to be from, but I couldn’t dredge it out of my creaky memory, and it just seemed like so much work. Also: is Abril’s (There! I finally remembered her name) insomnia going to become relevant to the story, or is it just there for colour?

Edited by Sandman
  • Like 2

I'd much rather have drug cartel lady than Elijah

so, uh, was this plot continued on Rookie: Feds, and if so did everyone involved die?

Can the writers get a good actor like Enrico Colantoni on the show? He could act the hell out of even the worst scripts. I'm not saying the guy playing Elijah is bad, it's just he's not that level of an actor to make a bad script seem even okay

• Like 2
10 hours ago, bros402 said:

Can the writers get a good actor like Enrico Colantoni on the show? He could act the hell out of even the worst scripts. I'm not saying the guy playing Elijah is bad, it's just he's not that level of an actor to make a bad script seem even okay

I'd love it if Enrico was a guest on the show. He's the best. He might be out of their price range though (not that I know anything about salaries and such).

15 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

Speaking of illogical, next week seems to be a Valentines Day episode, while last night was literally Valentines Day! Did somebody mess up the episode order? I could have waited a week to see more Elijah, believe me. 

I think it was pushed back a week for the State of the Union, which was last Tuesday.

• Useful 5
16 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I seem to have missed how Nolan’s old girlfriend was involved. He ran into her in the street and the next thing, she was bringing them sandwiches, and was giving them the news of the foreclosure. Was she a realtor, a lawyer? Given Nolan’s taste in women, probably both. 

She works in the bank and was in the pilot episode where a bank robbery leads Nolan to become a cop.  Since they were back in his home town, I thought it was a nice call back.  Also, when they were being shot at, it explained her comment that he was bad luck she seems to end up in terrible situations when he is around.  Since she worked for the bank, she was delivering the news that the bank was foreclosing on his mom's house since she hadn't made mortgage payments.  And she wasn't really a girlfriend - he said they went out once in high school.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
On 2/15/2023 at 6:30 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

The Wopez buying and escaping to their private island. Is this some kinda contingency plan for the actress’ maternity leave??!

Possibly? But would I watch the ever-living crap out of The Island of No Elijah Ever and No La Desvelada, Either?

Damn straight. And twice on Sundays. 

Edited by Sandman
Ha! I can Google Spanish, too, show!
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, Sandman said:

But would I watch the ever-living crap out of The Island of No Elijah Ever and No La Desvelada, Either?

I didn't think a lot of the episode. Too much Elijah Stone, La Fiera and Bailey Nune. Not necessarily in that order.

But then - perhaps this plot will lead to the once-and-for-all elimination of Elijah & La Fiera as they mow beach other down in an intense gun battle? Hell, if we're lucky, a few stray rounds could put paid to Bailey as well!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Hell, if we're lucky, a few stray rounds could put paid to Bailey as well!

Well obviously she'll be first to the scene and dance through the bullets - because it'll be at the wedding of Joh and Bailey. She'll whip out her National Guard uniform and react before any of the cops do, arresting everyone.

• LOL 2
1 minute ago, crowsworks said:

I'm confused. Was it the mean red-headed lawyer or Rosalind the cray serial killers who was warm for John's form.

She was the serial killer.  The mean red headed lawyer is still on and central to the awful Elijah plot.

• Like 1

Funny, I read "Elijah Stone" and I thought of Jonny Lee Miller's "Eli Stone". Now that would be amusing -- Elijah waking up to see George Michael singing at the end of the bed...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, tkc said:

Funny, I read "Elijah Stone" and I thought of Jonny Lee Miller's "Eli Stone". Now that would be amusing -- Elijah waking up to see George Michael singing at the end of the bed...

Or Eli Stone Elijah drops dead and an autopsy reveals an undiagnosed brain tumor.
Better? 
(Assuming the character is too mean to be believably rehabilitated through brain surgery.)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Or Eli Stone Elijah drops dead and an autopsy reveals an undiagnosed brain tumor.
Better? 
(Assuming the character is too mean to be believably rehabilitated through brain surgery.)

Aww, did I just get spoiled? (lol - I've tried watching the show twice, but for some reason even with my love for Johnny Lee Miller, I stop at some point).

50 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Aww, did I just get spoiled? (lol - I've tried watching the show twice, but for some reason even with my love for Johnny Lee Miller, I stop at some point).

Maybe——not?? I actually don’t remember the end of the series.🤣

• LOL 1
22 hours ago, tkc said:

yesss Eli Stone was so good. Legal musical dramedy was something I never expected to encounter, but it was such a joy back in... what, 2008?

14 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

You didn't get Eli Stone spoilers, don't worry. 

btw if you are looking for a musical show, Hulu is coming out with Up Here on March 24th. They haven't released a trailer yet... but it's a musical TV show, I have to give it at least one episode!

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

I'm done with this show until Elijah is dead.  If I'd been there, I'd have popped Elijah dead in the street, shot one of his goons in the leg and told the other to bring the body into the house, unless he wanted more, Then set the stage to make it look like Elijah shot first. "Anyone have a problem with this" Yeah, I didn't think so!"  Then I'd make sure that the ass-wipe who kicked the bottle was physically unable to be a cop anymore.  Last, shoot Long and Sleepless' Rhodas' plane out of the sky as well.

Just YUCK!

• Applause 1
On 2/22/2023 at 3:11 AM, shapeshifter said:

The following episode barely mentions Elijah, so you might want to watch it.

Nope.  I don't care if he's not even mentioned at all.  I'm done with this show until they're done with him.