Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: The Heir

• Start Topic

Nice time of year to learn Moses’s full name.  Think we’ll find out why he was in Madrid next week?

Is Inspector Wellington smart enough to see through the overplanning?  I was on the fence; I’ve now picked a side.  Just getting older doesn’t mean you’ve grown up.

• Like 3

Lots of little twists this episode! I liked it.

Knew the minute Eliza assumed she was getting a hefty sum of cash that she wasn't going to see a penny of it.

Moses Valentine!!!

William obviously spends most of his time with Arabella complaining about Eliza. I'm sure Arabella just looooves that.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Like 5
  • LOL 4

The longer this goes on, the less I like William. He projects "Eliza is my annoying little sister; our parents make me let her follow me around because she has fantasies of being a detective."

Although if he has been putting this on, in order to catch Arabella in a crime, I may consider forgiving him.

• Like 2

Ah, the classic English mystery.  So many characters, nobody is playing straight, guilt enough to go around, and a plot twist at the end.  I love it.  So did the British government, no doubt.  

Was it ever revealed why Eliza was rummaging through that certain house, i.e., how did she know that the documents were there?  And whose house was it?

I'm a bit puzzled by the inheritance thing.  How would Saracen and Blunt go about collecting on past unpaid debts?  There was no documentation thereof, and I find it unlikely that the solicitor would take the word of two random guys, or one after the murder, that Denny owed him 10,000 pounds.

Eliza, don't spend money until it's in your hands.  I got a good laugh at her getting busted with the counterfeit bills that she herself lost in the ransom attempt.  At least her reputation is burnished a bit now and she could get more clients with the sign.

Show of hands:  How many viewers thought that it was a genuine mistake that Arabella arranged for William to walk in during her tea with Eliza?  <crickets>  :)

• Like 8

Arabella totally planned Willliam to show up and Eliza totally knew. I did like how he spends their time together talking about her, so this "accidental" meeting was no accident. Arabella wanted to make it quite clear SHE is with William. And I no longer believe William is seeing her to uncover something. He is trying to convince himself that Arabella is the one he wants. She isn't and she won't be. 

Moses Valentine! I love it. I am so happy to see him having a bigger role this season. 

And I just knew Eliza wouldn't see a penny of that money. 

• Like 9

The central mystery was interesting, but it was sad how it ended with Martin Crabtree going to jail (maybe hanged?). I don't condone murder, but I could sympathize with him, considering his father abandoned him to an orphanage. Also, unless there are friends or relatives willing to take her in, his pregnant wife will likely end up in the poorhouse.

I liked how Eliza handled her conversation with William. She hid her hurt by talking about her not-so-great history with Arabella and her long friendship with William, she still wished him happy, and she genuinely made an attempt to be more friendly toward Arabella. I think she would've felt better about it if William had started dating anyone other than Arabella.

It's obvious that Arabella manipulated the situation to turn the screws on Eliza's discomfort by parading her relationship with William right in front of her. I'm now not sure, though, whether Arabella got involved with William in the first place to spite Eliza or whether she got only jealous and spiteful after William kept talking about Eliza to her.

One thing that Eliza and William have in common is that they're both really smart when it comes to solving crimes. I like how they work together (when they do finally work together). I think William is becoming more comfortable with consulting with Eliza on these mysteries, but right now he still wants a more traditional wife.

Last week, Eliza refused to let an innocent, albeit not so nice guy go to prison. This week she refused to let a guilty, more sympathetic guy get away with murder and, in doing so, she gave up her finder's fee. Yet in this same episode, she felt free to steal the police file. She clearly has a strong sense of right and wrong, but she's still willing to bend the rules to find the truth.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 5
30 minutes ago, tv echo said:

The central mystery was interesting, but it was sad how it ended with Martin Crabtree going to jail (maybe hanged?). I don't condone murder, but I could sympathize with him, considering his father abandoned him to an orphanage. Also, unless there are friends or relatives willing to take her in, his pregnant wife will likely end up in the poorhouse.

I liked how Eliza handled her conversation with William. She hid her hurt by talking about her not-so-great history with Arabella and her long friendship with William, she still wished him happy, and she genuinely made an attempt to be more friendly toward Arabella. I think she would've felt better about it if William had started dating anyone other than Arabella.

It's obvious that Arabella manipulated the situation to turn the screws on Eliza's discomfort by parading her relationship with William right in front of her. I'm now not sure, though, whether Arabella got involved with William in the first place to spite Eliza or whether she got only jealous and spiteful after William kept talking about Eliza to her.

One thing that Eliza and William have in common is that they're both really smart when it comes to solving crimes. I like how they work together (when they do finally work together). I think William is becoming more comfortable with consulting with Eliza on these mysteries, but right now he still wants a more traditional wife.

Last week, Eliza refused to let an innocent, albeit not so nice guy go to prison. This week she refused to let a guilty, more sympathetic guy get away with murder and, in doing so, she gave up her finder's fee. Yet in this same episode, she felt free to steal the police file. She clearly has a strong sense of right and wrong, but she's still willing to bend the rules to find the truth.

I thought she might let Mr. Crabtree get away with it and was a bit sad to see him being led away. I guess the law is the law and he did murder someone, but it was still a bit hard to see. 

I do wonder if Arabella is with William to hurt Eliza. Sometimes a bully is always a bully. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Was it ever revealed why Eliza was rummaging through that certain house, i.e., how did she know that the documents were there?  And whose house was it?

It was Sir Reginald Denning's house.  IIRC, Eliza saw an ad in the paper about an unclaimed inheritance of 20,000 pounds from Denning's death (he was murdered years ago) and she would be able to claim a 5% fee (1,000 pounds) if she's able to find an heir to claim this inheritance before the deadline expires (in 2 days). She decided to go heir hunting because she needs the money. So she broke into Denning's home and searched it for clues. She found those papers hidden behind a plaque (I believe). 

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 6

I love the way Moses (Valentine!) has become one of the gang, despite his attempts not to be. Ivy feeding him lunch just made me happy. And he has Eliza pegged better than anyone, even William.

Arabella is a snotty little beeyotch and bully, and given that next week is the season finale (NOOOOO!!!!!), I devoutly hope we get to see a comeuppance for her. I do NOT want to see her back next season.

• Like 15
6 minutes ago, kirinan said:

I love the way Moses (Valentine!) has become one of the gang, despite his attempts not to be. Ivy feeding him lunch just made me happy. And he has Eliza pegged better than anyone, even William.

Arabella is a snotty little beeyotch and bully, and given that next week is the season finale (NOOOOO!!!!!), I devoutly hope we get to see a comeuppance for her. I do NOT want to see her back next season.

Yes, when William showed up at the end, I shouted something not very nice at  her! 

Moses having lunch was cute. 

• Like 6

I must say ---  I do find Eliza and William and their banter SO damn cute! I missed him the last two eps.

I loved William asking Fitzroy about Eliza while he was gone !! Ha ha! "What kind of mood was she  in?" and Fitzroy was like -- she was happy and charming as usual! I loved them complaining to other people how much they each annoy one another! 

When Eliza was spending the money before she had it I was like -- don't count your chickens before they hatch! 

Moses Valentine! hello my love!

So. The elephant in the room -- Arabella.

The invite to tea was totally timed to coincide with William showing up to take Arabella for a 'walk" in the park. And right before William showed up - Arabella made some sort of dig at Eliza about William laughing at something Eliza did/said.

The look on Eliza's face was priceless when William walked in and Arabella pretended to have forgotten their appointment  Eliza knows that Arabella is still the manipulative bully she was back in school.

I just hope William buys a clue! Otherwise he deserves what he gets!

• Like 6
14 minutes ago, taanja said:

I must say ---  I do find Eliza and William and their banter SO damn cute! I missed him the last two eps.

I loved William asking Fitzroy about Eliza while he was gone !! Ha ha! "What kind of mood was she  in?" and Fitzroy was like -- she was happy and charming as usual! I loved them complaining to other people how much they each annoy one another! 

When Eliza was spending the money before she had it I was like -- don't count your chickens before they hatch! 

Moses Valentine! hello my love!

So. The elephant in the room -- Arabella.

The invite to tea was totally timed to coincide with William showing up to take Arabella for a 'walk" in the park. And right before William showed up - Arabella made some sort of dig at Eliza about William laughing at something Eliza did/said.

The look on Eliza's face was priceless when William walked in and Arabella pretended to have forgotten their appointment  Eliza knows that Arabella is still the manipulative bully she was back in school.

I just hope William buys a clue! Otherwise he deserves what he gets!

He wanted her to be in the depths of despair without him. Ha! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 4

Fitzroy is either going to be an Inspector Clouseau style detective with his complete obtuseness about William's questions re Eliza, or he's going to be a Victorian Columbo with his ability to completely rattle suspects into confession with that same obtuseness.  

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
7 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Fitzroy is either going to be an Inspector Clouseau style detective with his complete obtuseness about William's questions re Eliza, or he's going to be a Victorian Columbo with his ability to completely rattle suspects into confession with that same obtuseness.  

Fitzroy: Do you want to know what I know about this case -- or just what I know in general? <<< The look William gave him made me LOL!

• Like 2
  • LOL 8
12 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I think William saw right through Arabella’s little plan to rub their relationship in Eliza’s face, so I hope he dumps her ass in the next episode! What a conniving little b…

5 hours ago, tv echo said:

It's obvious that Arabella manipulated the situation to turn the screws on Eliza's discomfort by parading her relationship with William right in front of her. I'm now not sure, though, whether Arabella got involved with William in the first place to spite Eliza or whether she got only jealous and spiteful after William kept talking about Eliza to her

1 hour ago, taanja said:

I never liked Arabella, but I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. But the moment William walked into the room all traces of good will I might have had for her were gone. She timed everything down to the second. Did you see the way that she pulled William down to the couch next to her, possessively clutching him? Of course she returned the necklace to Eliza a few weeks ago. Why settle for an inexpensive necklace when she can snatch the grand prize from Eliza? 

These are the questions that remain that I hope get answered next week.

- Will William see through Arabella's manipulations? If he does will he care? (I'm asking from personal experience -- don't ask)

- Does Arabella really care about William or is she just using him to make Eliza jealous?

- If William does break it off with Arabella, will Eliza see it as a wake-up call and stop taking William for granted? Will she finally tell him how she feels?

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
27 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

My husband loved Columbo growing up. We watch Death in Paradise and his favorite DI is Jack because he reminds him so much of Columbo. 

• Like 3

I understand all of the interest in the Arabella/William/Eliza triangle.  I understand the interest in the human side of things.   But I expect PBS and their British imports to do relationships better than this.  For me, this is Hallmark Christmas movie channel territory.  See here, if you aren't familiar with Hallmark.

9 hours ago, tv echo said:

One thing that Eliza and William have in common is that they're both really smart when it comes to solving crimes. I like how they work together (when they do finally work together).

And couldn't they start with that, and build some sort of grown up relationship, whether it leads to romance or not?  I mean we are already in fantasy territory here, so can't we pretend that there are two Victorians out there that don't have Victorian sensibilities and morals?

Edited by Mermaid Under
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Mermaid Under said:

I understand all of the interest in the Arabella/William/Eliza triangle.  I understand the interest in the human side of things.   But I expect PBS and their British imports to do relationships better than this.  For me, this is Hallmark Christmas movie channel territory.  See here, if you aren't familiar with Hallmark.

And couldn't they start with that, and build some sort of grown up relationship, whether it leads to romance or not?  I mean we are already in fantasy territory here, so can't we pretend that there are two Victorians out there that don't have Victorian sensibilities and morals?

Ha! That's funny! it would be a different show entirely!!!!!

But I was thinking along those lines when I read something the showrunner was quoted as saying about Eliza and William the the will they- won't they aspect of their relationship. it's basically the entire premise of the show. (according to Hannah New)

I admit -- it' makes me kind of impatient. Don't get me wrong. This is one of my favorite shows right now. I think all the actors and the characters they portray  are cute.  I like the banter between Eliza and William. I do wish they had done the - Victorian Couple Solves Crimes Together --- without the will-they/won't-they tedium..

• Like 5
1 hour ago, taanja said:

Ha! That's funny! it would be a different show entirely!!!!!

But I was thinking along those lines when I read something the showrunner was quoted as saying about Eliza and William the the will they- won't they aspect of their relationship. it's basically the entire premise of the show. (according to Hannah New)

I admit -- it' makes me kind of impatient. Don't get me wrong. This is one of my favorite shows right now. I think all the actors and the characters they portray  are cute.  I like the banter between Eliza and William. I do wish they had done the - Victorian Couple Solves Crimes Together --- without the will-they/won't-they tedium..

I don't mind it. I do think it is time for Eliza to have a romantic suitor though. 

• Like 3

it's basically the entire premise of the show. (according to Hannah New)

I think I read the same (or a similar) article, but interpreted it differently.  The way I read it, she didn't say it was the premise of the show, she said the relationship between William and Eliza was what viewer's were most interested in seeing, and that the characters of Nash and Arabella fed into that interest by putting up roadblocks to that relationship. 

• Like 2

For anyone who is curious...  1,000 pounds in 1882 is the equivalent of $150,000 pounds today. 

I loved Harlots, and would always do the same thing during that show - find out today's value of prices they mentioned in the series, whether it was for lodging, the "services" of the ladies, food, etc.  There's a post from me somewhere on the the Harlot's page with all that info.

I've watched ahead on PBS streaming, so I know where William/Arabella end up at the end of the season. But I love seeing everyone's predictions, as I can't remember what I was thinking myself when I watched these episodes. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, chaifan said:

For anyone who is curious...  1,000 pounds in 1882 is the equivalent of $150,000 pounds today. 

I loved Harlots, and would always do the same thing during that show - find out today's value of prices they mentioned in the series, whether it was for lodging, the "services" of the ladies, food, etc.  There's a post from me somewhere on the the Harlot's page with all that info.

I've watched ahead on PBS streaming, so I know where William/Arabella end up at the end of the season. But I love seeing everyone's predictions, as I can't remember what I was thinking myself when I watched these episodes. 

No wonder she was so excited, that is a lot of money! My modern thinking was like, its nice but not that nice. 

I guess we will find out where everything ends up next week. I'm staying away from spoilers! 

• Like 1

As soon as we saw the scene of Eliza and Ivy with their new hats and clothes, it was obvious that she wasn't going to get to keep the money.  Which meant that Redhead was not forthcoming about something.

I have to confess I didn't really follow the rest of it.  Who killed the dead guy that William and Fitzroy were looking into?  Was that the Fake Heir Hunter?  Or was it Redhead?

Redhead killed his father seven years ago.  I think it was because he was upset at what happened to his mom.  Did he know about the 20,000 pounds?  Fake Heir Hunter said that Reginald owed him 20,000 pounds.  So what was his plan, he was going to have Redhead claim it and then turn it all over to him?  What was in it for Redhead?

As far as William and Eliza and Arabella... William isn't dumb, he should know he's being used in part by Arabella to dig at Eliza.  But then he seemed completely clueless about why Eliza was upset.  Next week is the season finale, I wonder if he is going to dump Arabella.  But it seems to me that William and Eliza are one of those "we are waiting with bated breath to see them get together"  couples which probably means they won't for now.  William doesn't treat her very well, I'm kind of hoping Nash shows up next week and she goes out with him.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Redhead killed his father seven years ago.  I think it was because he was upset at what happened to his mom.  Did he know about the 20,000 pounds?  Fake Heir Hunter said that Reginald owed him 20,000 pounds.

I found that confusing as well.  Is someone inheriting money responsible for gambling debts?  Is an IOU a legal contract inherited by the inheritor?  I'd tell someone to go jump in a lake if they came up to me at the funeral and told me to fork over money!

• Like 1

That brings to mind Tom T Hall's song about a funeral, The Ballad of Forty Dollars: 

Well here I am and there they go and I just call it my bad luck

I sure hope he rests in peace, the trouble is the fellow owes me forty bucks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

As soon as we saw the scene of Eliza and Ivy with their new hats and clothes, it was obvious that she wasn't going to get to keep the money.  Which meant that Redhead was not forthcoming about something.

I have to confess I didn't really follow the rest of it.  Who killed the dead guy that William and Fitzroy were looking into?  Was that the Fake Heir Hunter?  Or was it Redhead?

Redhead killed his father seven years ago.  I think it was because he was upset at what happened to his mom.  Did he know about the 20,000 pounds?  Fake Heir Hunter said that Reginald owed him 20,000 pounds.  So what was his plan, he was going to have Redhead claim it and then turn it all over to him?  What was in it for Redhead?

As far as William and Eliza and Arabella... William isn't dumb, he should know he's being used in part by Arabella to dig at Eliza.  But then he seemed completely clueless about why Eliza was upset.  Next week is the season finale, I wonder if he is going to dump Arabella.  But it seems to me that William and Eliza are one of those "we are waiting with bated breath to see them get together"  couples which probably means they won't for now.  William doesn't treat her very well, I'm kind of hoping Nash shows up next week and she goes out with him.

The fake heir hunter killed the dude. They were both owed money by the dead Lord/Earl/Duke (whatever he was - red head's father) They agreed to both just get half of what they were owed but fake heir hunter killed the dude when he reneged on the deal. ("He came at  me with a knife-- I had to kill him in self-defense!")<<< fake heir hunter claimed to Eliza and William during interrogation

I have NO CLUE what is going to happen between William and Eliza and Arabella! But I want to find out!

• Like 2

I tried to give Arabella the benefit of the doubt, but now I'm sure that Eliza was right about her still being awful. She absolutely knew that William was coming over while Eliza was visiting, she wanted to rub her relationship with him in Eliza's face. She didn't even seem to want to talk to him when he was there, just dangle him in front of Eliza to show how she had won. I hope that William wises up and ditches her by the season finale. 

Case of the week was pretty good, lots of twists and turns, even though I thought the ending was sad. Yeah Mr. Crabtree did murder someone and faked a kidnapping, but I still felt sorry for him. 

I knew right away that something would happen so that Eliza wouldn't get her money. But at least she got Moses's last name. Moses Valentine! 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I tried to give Arabella the benefit of the doubt, but now I'm sure that Eliza was right about her still being awful. She absolutely knew that William was coming over while Eliza was visiting, she wanted to rub her relationship with him in Eliza's face. She didn't even seem to want to talk to him when he was there, just dangle him in front of Eliza to show how she had won. I hope that William wises up and ditches her by the season finale. 

Case of the week was pretty good, lots of twists and turns, even though I thought the ending was sad. Yeah Mr. Crabtree did murder someone and faked a kidnapping, but I still felt sorry for him. 

I knew right away that something would happen so that Eliza wouldn't get her money. But at least she got Moses's last name. Moses Valentine! 

I felt so bad for him with a wife and a baby on the way. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

Assuming the child is born alive, wouldn't it be the heir?  As Sir Reginald's grandchild?  The money could go for the child's upbringing and Eliza could still get her commission.  

That makes sense but do we know where the money is now?  And not sure the wife would give it to Eliza after she (correctly) turned the kid in for murder.  I probably wouldn't.

5 hours ago, Calvada said:

Assuming the child is born alive, wouldn't it be the heir?  As Sir Reginald's grandchild?  The money could go for the child's upbringing and Eliza could still get her commission.  

Since the deadline passed I'm assuming the money is no longer available to be claimed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 2/12/2023 at 5:38 PM, katalizt said:

Since the deadline passed I'm assuming the money is no longer available to be claimed.

But Crabtree had already claimed the money. Since he cannot inherit now, wouldn't the money go directly to the grandchild from the grandfather?