Type keyword(s) to search

S48.E12: Pedro Pascal / Coldplay

• Start Topic

Did anyone else mention the song used in the teacher fancams was that SZA song she did for SNL "Big Boys"?

The song about how we need a big boy when it's winter to cuddle us 😄

Michael Longfellow looked so hot in the Superbowl watching outfit......

Pedro's acting in the grandmother sketch is extremely good.  What a great idea for a sketch and it gave Marcello a great showcase.

I'm rewatching almost the whole thing and Bowen reacting to Ego is enough to make me laugh until I cry.  😄😄😄

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

What the hell is going on with Chris Martin? Speaking Spanish and singing with a choir; it read as performative allyship to me. UO around here apparently but IMO he is such a poser.

He was speaking English with a Spanish accent!!  Acting like English is his second language.  Why??  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I don't eat beef but even I know you don't put ketchup on steak. I actually gasped.

I wondered about the pitcher of iced beverage sitting on the table.  It was moving all over the table and Punkie kept grabbing it to make sure it didn't spill all over her.  Were they hoping for it to tip over?  It was a big distraction for me, I kept watching the pitcher.

• Like 6

I got the feeling it was Bowen making that table move (he may have had an accomplice;-)

Lennie, I'm mostly with you on the cast crack-ups (I hated Fallon doing it, I can't watch The Tonight Show). It's a short list of people who don't annoy me doing it: Harvey Korman, Tim Conway, and now, Pedro. (He was either having the best time of anyone, ever, or he's an even better actor than anybody thought.)

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Pedro Pascal was amazing and in so many skits with a lot of dialog. He was a terrific host. Sarah Sherman is one cast member I could live without. She is always looking at the cue cards even when she doesn't have much to say in a skit, and she is over the top with her screechy, loud voice and mannerisms. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Kenz said:

Pedro Pascal was amazing and in so many skits with a lot of dialog. He was a terrific host. Sarah Sherman is one cast member I could live without. She is always looking at the cue cards even when she doesn't have much to say in a skit, and she is over the top with her screechy, loud voice and mannerisms. 

Usually I like her but this week....... I don't know.  I'm starting to get the complaints.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

He was speaking English with a Spanish accent!!  Acting like English is his second language.  Why??  

He dedicated the song, in Spanish, to Pedro and his mother Veronica. Chris speaks Spanish, one reason being a huge portion of Coldplay’s fan base is Spanish speaking.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
25 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

He dedicated the song, in Spanish, to Pedro and his mother Veronica. Chris speaks Spanish, one reason being a huge portion of Coldplay’s fan base is Spanish speaking.

I heard “it’s for Pedro and Veronica, les go les go les go” unless I’m mis-hearing.

Didn’t like the first song. I used to love Coldplay.  Not into the new stuff.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

That's OK, it's not a Coldplay song. 😉

The only things that took me out of the balloon sketch were the fact that it was shredded when they shot it down, so having Bowen float around like a big innertube was kinda dumb.  And the "3 buses" was referring to the equipment underneath it, not the balloon itself - those things are HUGE.

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, rmontro said:

I wondered about the pitcher of iced beverage sitting on the table.  It was moving all over the table and Punkie kept grabbing it to make sure it didn't spill all over her.  Were they hoping for it to tip over?  It was a big distraction for me, I kept watching the pitcher.

I was also distracted by the pitcher. Certainly when they rehearsed this sketch they knew the pitcher would be in danger of falling. I thought Punkie did a good job holding onto it while staying in character. 

9 hours ago, buttersister said:

I got the feeling it was Bowen making that table move (he may have had an accomplice;-)

I'm sure someone under the table was moving it.

I don't mind people cracking up during the sketches unless the person does it all the time. I"m particularly tickled by it when it's a cast member who rarely if ever breaks.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I agree that is gross, but I know it's what some (many?) people do. I believe that Trump, for instance, puts ketchup on his steak.

well, then that's a strong endorsement not to

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
8 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I heard “it’s for Pedro and Veronica, les go les go les go” unless I’m mis-hearing.

“Let’s go, let’s go,” to the singers.

Also, attention writers: Write skits in which Pedro has to use the bedroom voice from The Mandalorian. Please. And Pedro, consider recording some bedtime stories in that bedroom voice for the Calm app. Asking for an insomniac friend. Or millions of them.

Yes, please. I was really hoping he'd do that swaggering walk the Mandalorian does too. (Though I am aware most of the time it's another actor inside the costume when you can't see the Mandalorian's face due to the helmet.)

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I agree that is gross, but I know it's what some (many?) people do. I believe that Trump, for instance, puts ketchup on his steak.

JRV17zz.jpg

This may have been one of those times when it would have been a good idea to check someone's posting history before offering examples.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu

Re:  The people under the table who were moving it around for them in the Lisa from Temecula sketch

The way Pedro started laughing / the way he was reacting, it looked like someone hit him in the leg by mistake or something.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

“Let’s go, let’s go,” to the singers.

Right, he’s speaking English with a Spanish accent.  I don’t speak with an accent just because I’m speaking to a Spanish speaking friend.  That would be very strange.

5 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

That's OK, it's not a Coldplay song. 😉

I thought it was written by Chris Martin, performed by Coldplay.  I guess I should say I don’t like recent Chris Martin-written songs.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, buttersister said:

And Pedro, consider recording some bedtime stories in that bedroom voice for the Calm app. Asking for an insomniac friend. Or millions of them.

That would be awesome! He has narrated a few audio books, although it was when he was younger so his voice is a bit different.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

I thought it was written by Chris Martin, performed by Coldplay.  I guess I should say I don’t like recent Chris Martin-written songs.

It was written by Chris and Jin from BTS (and others) for Jin to release as his first solo song before left for the military.  (I guess Chris has the right to sing it if he wants.)

More details on the song

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sarah Sherman is one cast member I could live without. She is always looking at the cue cards even when she doesn't have much to say in a skit, and she is over the top with her screechy, loud voice and mannerisms. 

She's just a terrible actress. I think that is why she makes faces and yells all the time. She has no ability to actually act any other way. It was really obvious this episode where it called for a little more nuance. Totally out of her capability.

The woman in the back of the band on the right was there again this week, although she didn't actually enter the band area taking selfies and pretend play a gourd. But she was still very distracting to me. There's a similarly dressed woman on the left but she doesn't make herself obvious. I wish they would just move those two. They shouldn't be competing with the host.

• Like 5
22 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Pedro's acting in the grandmother sketch is extremely good.  What a great idea for a sketch and it gave Marcello a great showcase.

I know just enough Spanish to understand some of the Spanish lines, which made this extra funny!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
On 2/5/2023 at 9:14 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

I'm so old I remember when laughing at the joke was considered a trait of a bad comedian. Thus, a cast's "cracking up" fails to amuse me. 

I don't mind breaking in some cases - even some of the earliest episodes of SNL had moments of breaking (in one, Lorne was under a desk tying Belushi's shoes together to get a reaction from him). There's a fine line between getting caught up in the moment and self-indulgence, but the main thing for me is if I'm watching other people laugh while I'm not laughing. And unfortunately that was the case here. 

• Like 2

Regards the Lisa from Temecula sketch and why so many of them broke -- I am betting the live performance was nothing like rehearsals/dress.  I headwank that the table movement was much less ..uh.. vigorous ... in dress and I also think Ego must've ad libbed a line or two or maybe even the part where she stood up to get traction.  I figure there must have been a point in dress where she may have known it wasn't really hitting so she just went for it in live in a way she didn't in dress.

Bowen's reaction to the 'Why, cuz we black?' line (and upon re-watch you can see an extra behind her almost spit take in his coffee cup when she says it) really makes me think that was an ad lib.  I also think Punkie keeping the Sangria pitcher from falling, and the fact that it didn't fall right away even before she started trying to keep it upright, just added to the overall absurdity of the sketch and what made it so hilarious.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Regards the Lisa from Temecula sketch and why so many of them broke -- I am betting the live performance was nothing like rehearsals/dress.  I headwank that the table movement was much less ..uh.. vigorous ... in dress and I also think Ego must've ad libbed a line or two or maybe even the part where she stood up to get traction.  I figure there must have been a point in dress where she may have known it wasn't really hitting so she just went for it in live in a way she didn't in dress.

Someone who was at dress said they didn't laugh, so you're probably right.

• Useful 2
On 2/5/2023 at 2:53 AM, pezgirl7 said:

but you really have to be an online fan to understand the meaning behind Sarah Paulson

I was thinking when she appeared that it was her, (I don’t remember her being so hot though) I’m not really an online fan, could you maybe explain it to me???

• Like 3
23 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Bowen's reaction to the 'Why, cuz we black?' line (and upon re-watch you can see an extra behind her almost spit take in his coffee cup when she says it) really makes me think that was an ad lib.  I also think Punkie keeping the Sangria pitcher from falling, and the fact that it didn't fall right away even before she started trying to keep it upright, just added to the overall absurdity of the sketch and what made it so hilarious.

Also, the steak falling off of Ego's knife.  There was no way that was planned.  Everything that could go sideways, did.

• Like 2
On 2/5/2023 at 1:02 PM, peeayebee said:

I have no idea why Sarah Paulson was there. Just because they're friends? I am an old, and I am completely ignorant about fancams.

4 hours ago, wmdekooning said:

I was thinking when she appeared that it was her, (I don’t remember her being so hot though) I’m not really an online fan, could you maybe explain it to me???

It's possible I'm reading way too much into her appearance. Perhaps they just needed a woman to play the female teacher, and since Sarah was there to support Pedro, they picked her. But here are some more possible layers... Pedro and Sarah have been friends since college, and some fans even wondered if they had dated, back when Sarah dated men (she's currently with a woman). I even remember an interview where she was asked about it, due to a photo she had posted of Pedro licking her face. She responded with something like "Don't all friends lick each other faces?". So the bit in the sketch with them admitting they were dating might have just been them having a laugh at the fan speculation. Historically the term daddy has been sexual, but I think it's started to have a more innocent meaning, especially for younger fans. A protective, strong man, like Pedro's characters in The Mandalorian and The Last of Us. Since Pedro has played lots of fathers recently, a lot of fans refer to him as daddy, whether they mean it in the sexual way or the more protective father figure way. In a recent interview, he was asked about it and he admitted that he is a daddy, and joked that it's a state of mind. When he appears with a woman who fans also like, she then becomes mommy. Since fans like Pedro and Sarah's friendship, they sometimes refer to them as daddy and mommy, or mom and dad, like in a joking "will they adopt me?" way. I would never use these terms myself, but I'm familiar with them because they seem to be very prevalent in the younger fan base, the kind that make the fan videos. So I think whoever wrote that skit really did a good job of interpreting the current online culture of celebrity adoration by the younger generation and incorporating their slang.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Like 3
  • Useful 4
On 2/5/2023 at 11:58 PM, Kenz said:

Agreed on both counts. I'd been half-heartedly watching the first 2 episodes of The Last of Us with some zombie apocalypse fatigue but after watching Pedro on SNL, it totally changed my level of interest in The Last of Us and now I'm obsessed. A similar thing happened to me with Schitt's Creek, I couldn't get into it at first because the Alexis character bugged me and then I saw an interview with Annie Murphy explaining how she came up with the character and I ended up loving her. I think I was just assuming she was an annoying person IRL and not acting much, I hadn't realized how much of a stretch it actually was. Long way to say, seeing Pedro in this comedic setting and how charming and funny he was, it gave me a new appreciation for the character of Joel.

As for Sarah Sherman, I find her annoying 95% of the time. Every once in a blue moon, she'll hit on the right character or material for her particular style and it's mildly amusing. But mostly I find her shouty, hammy, and projecting to the back row with her overly mannered, self-consciously quirky style. Like that mullet hairdo, it's like she's desperate for any attention, even if it's negative.

I don't mind people cracking up during the sketches unless the person does it all the time. I"m particularly tickled by it when it's a cast member who rarely if ever breaks.

Bowen holds it together pretty well usually, IMO, so his very obvious break was funny to me. He also broke a little in the hospital sketch because he messed up one of his lines and it came out kind nonsensical. But frankly, I'd prefer someone mix up their lines a little bit rather than stare obviously at the teleprompter like some of them do. Like Sarah, for example.

I wish they'd give Michael Longfellow a little more to do, I find him compelling for some reason. 

• Like 7

Pedro is discussing the SNL episode on Seth Meyers right now.  Second segment.  I'm sure it'll be up on YouTube tomorrow.  It's very funny and he gives good background info on the sketches.  He talks about SNL before AND after when he talks about The Last of Us, so ALSO watch the end or skip to the end if you don't want to miss that.

Added the video here:

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
On 2/5/2023 at 1:31 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

Everybody was breaking and I was less forgiving of it here than in the overdone steak sketch at the end. Pedro was good but I couldn't see any reason why the others shouldn't be able to keep it together.

Me neither.

On 2/5/2023 at 1:43 PM, JeanJean said:

Maybe this is looking for too much logic in a sketch, but it didn't make sense to me that the waiters would tell the women their m.o. I wish it had been revealed some other way.

What made no sense to me was why complimenting all members of a group, except one, would lead to bigger tips.  I could see if they were flattering each customer individually, with different compliments, that that would result in bigger tips.  But the same generic compliments to everyone except one, doesn't seem like a good way to get big tips!

Loved that article. Thanks for posting it. So interesting hearing the background of the sketch and the whole history. One question: It says that they were running out of time and that Bowen mimed the stage manager’s hand signal to wrap up the sketch. I rewatched the sketch and didn't see that.

Ego: Lisa represents the kind of characters I like to play: indignant, strong, and wrong.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

One question: It says that they were running out of time and that Bowen mimed the stage manager’s hand signal to wrap up the sketch. I rewatched the sketch and didn't see that.

It's when Lisa says "Y'all just haven't had it right." I can see Bowen move his left hand.

• Like 1

Today I got some take home food and was given a nice bag to carry it. After getting home I carefully folded the bag and put in the drawer that I store "good" bags I want to keep. After I did that, I burst into laughter thinking about the Pedro as a mother skit.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, khyber said:

Today I got some take home food and was given a nice bag to carry it. After getting home I carefully folded the bag and put in the drawer that I store "good" bags I want to keep. After I did that, I burst into laughter thinking about the Pedro as a mother skit.

Seriously, he was so good in that!

My mother went on a trip and bought all of her kids presents.  What's the first thing she says?  "These bags are nice, and I want them back."

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
On 2/5/2023 at 10:24 AM, Ottis said:

I don’t know who Sara Paulson is, but I thought Pedro was a great host and clearly was willing to go places that last week’s host didn’t want to go (including playing an older Hispanic mom, in pink!). Enjoyed his enthusiasm and the tough steak skit was better because he laughed (and felt a lot like Wanda on In Living Color when she got up to cut her steak!). If anything I thought the writing didn’t take the sketches far enough (kids blaming their every bad behavior on COVID, steak lady being a professional objector). But I laughed a lot more this week, even though YouTube TV messed up the recording and I only came in in middle of the social media skit and haven’t seen anything before that, yet.

Sara Paulson Has Hosted Saturday Night Live ! I Think Sarah Paulson Is An Actress ! She Might Have Played Mikey Day's Wife When He Wrote Those Letters ! I DO Think IT Was Some Body Else That Was Writing To Hitler ! 

On 2/5/2023 at 1:02 PM, peeayebee said:

The hospital sketch was hilarious! My guess, which may be wrong, is that Pedro told the writers that he can do this weird, funny accent, and they made the sketch out of it. Maybe not, but the voice was great. Love this

I have now watched that sketch all three times this episode has aired.  I laugh every time.  The only thing I ever wonder about is when Keenan says it the accent is "some weird LA mush/mash up."  I guess it is so he can say "I love El Ah"  LOL. 

Like you I think it is probably just something Pedro has done over the years to make people laugh at parties.  So funny.  

• Like 1