Type keyword(s) to search

S48.E11: Michael B. Jordan / Lil Baby

• Start Topic

Hosted by Michael B. Jordan, with musical guest Lil Baby.

Airing Saturday, January 28, 2023.

Aubrey Plaza's episode was so good that I'm excited for this one.  Also......................... Michael just looks so good!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Airing Saturday, January 28, 2023.

Aubrey Plaza's episode was so good that I'm excited for this one.  Also......................... Michael just looks so good!

I had not remembered that one of the new guys was called Michael so I was prepared to see Che. 

As someone who has seen my share of State Farm ads, I was dying at the Jake from State Farm commercial. I only wish the husband took Jake's annoying ass down. Also too bad there wasn't a Mahomes cameo.

• Like 4
  • LOL 14

I think this episode has been kind of meh. I did like the cold open, although the Garland impression was weak. I feel like James might have been better and fits it better physically. Some of Southwest Airlines was funny. And I liked the Gallegos ad. The energy was high but the writing just wasn't great. With the State Farm commercial,  you could tell early where it was going to go. 

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, JeanJean said:

I think this episode has been kind of meh. 

Oh definitely.  Big step down from Aubrey Plaza.  Weird sketches.

This last sketch about MJB falling all the time made me think a lot about Andy Samberg, like Dismukes was giving major Samberg energy in this sketch.

• Like 6

Cold Open: I wish Beck was here to play Lonely Boy Pence. Mikey Day was getting shorter every time he went back to the podium, right? I wasn't the only one who noticed that? I have no idea what Merrick Garland sounds like, but "weenie who uses ten year old memes" sounds about right for an impression.

Monologue: Shout out to whoever dug up that All My Children clip. Good to see Punkie here, and even she had the hots for Michael B Jordan.

Good Morning Today: The second Sarah showed up with that glued on mouth, I knew this sketch was written by her. And props to Michael B for committing to the makeup, too. I honestly got grossed out by this, open mouths weird me out.

Southwest: That 2002 laptop with "the red nipple in the middle" unlocked a memory. But seriously, you bought a Southwest ticket. You knew what you were getting in to.

Pool: Hey, a Marcello sketch! It was an excuse for him and Kenan to talk like David Ortiz for a whole sketch. I wasn't really feeling that. JAJ as the tourist that offered the guys a prayer was a fun bit.

State Farm: I figured that this was "ha, the wife is banging Jake From State Farm," but then the sketch kept going. And going. LOVED the punchline of Mikey being saved by the LiMu Emu, and the son wearing a State Farm shirt.

VO: Putting Bowen in Street Fighter should've been better. Very meh.

WU: Colin being sassy towards George Santos has yet to get old. It was good seeing Angel, the Boxer's Girlfriend again.

Male Confidence Seminar: Dismukes is totally the perfect person to run an "alpha male" seminar. Jimmy Neutron AND Dexter's Lab references in one SNL episode? That's aimed at me. "Jimmy Neutron doing street magic" was a perfect insult towards Dismukes, I'm surprised it hadn't happened already.

The giant forehead guy didn't get enough time to land. The audience's reaction to him threw him off.

Bachelorette Party: Now here I was expecting Michael B Jordan's stripper to actually be someone inspecting the room to be up to code. And not his pregnant wife showing up and making everything awkward. Also, nuts how one of the cameras showed up in frame for a few moments.

"You got three strippers for the price of one!"
"Ma'am, please stop referring to your fetus as a stripper."

"How pregnant is she?!"
"A little over a year, but whatever."

Those were definitely lines of the night.

King Brothers Toyota: I do like that a dealership is hurting for business because of a bad location next to a Raising Cane's with a long line. 

Falling Down: This was certainly Andrew Dismukes's night. Loved Bowen and Sarah's intervention for him. "You have to stop watching Michael B Jordan fall down!"

Well, Michael B Jordan was certainly game for anything. Too bad this episode felt like a massive letdown after last week. Pedro Pascal hosts next week, and Kyle Mooney better be coming back to do Baby Yoda.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

Yeah, I have to agree. The show has been average at best and nowhere near as good as last week. Nothing's been outright bad though the I found the monologue kinda cringey with the women all fawning over him. ( I know they have done that bit before, but it's outdated to say the least.)

My two favorites were Southwest Airlines and the State Farms ads.

Michael B Jordan? He was Ok I guess. Did you know he's jacked? 

Edited by vb68
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 minute ago, vb68 said:

Yeah, I have to agree. The show has been average at best and nowhere near as good as last week. Nothing's been outright bad though the I found the monologue kinda cringey with the women all fawning over him. ( I know they have done that bit before, but it's outdated to say the least.)

I knew that wouldn't be popular.  But, I did like Punkie and her lines were making me laugh like "Punkie B. Curious".  I knew they were going to do something like that about his looks.  I think 30% of the sketches were about his looks.

Punkie:  Even vegans have cheat days, right?
Michael:  No, they don't.
Punkie:  Hahahhahahaha.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 5
12 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Shout out to whoever dug up that All My Children clip.

I was hoping for a clip from The Wire where he was Wallace.

12 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Pedro Pascal hosts next week, and Kyle Mooney better be coming back to do Baby Yoda.

Please no. That "impression" was obnoxious and just bad.

Edited by vb68
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I was hoping for a clip from The Wire where he was Wallace.

Please no. That "impression" was obnoxious and just bad.

Agreed. Not a fan of the Baby Yoda sketch. 

I’m enjoying this season more than last, laughed out loud repeatedly tonight. 

I’m not familiar with boxing movies, how accurate is Boxers Girlfriend in Every Boxing Movie Ever?

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

I think this episode has been kind of meh. I did like the cold open, although the Garland impression was weak. I feel like James might have been better and fits it better physically. Some of Southwest Airlines was funny. And I liked the Gallegos ad. The energy was high but the writing just wasn't great. With the State Farm commercial,  you could tell early where it was going to go. 

That State Farm Commercial Reminded Me OF The Teacher Coming On To Ego And Kyle Did Not Like That ! I Don't Know IF They Have That Cane With The Tire Place In New York, But, They DO Have That In Louisiana ! 

31 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

44 minutes ago, vb68 said:

My two favorites were Southwest Airlines and the State Farms ads.

Michael B Jordan? He was Ok I guess. Did you know he's jacked? 

This is exactly what I thought of this episode.  Thanks for doing the typing for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I meant to note that it was very classy and dignified (yet subtle enough not to be  off putting)  of the show, and in particular Kenan, to acknowledge the events in Memphis at the end of the cold open. 

• Like 18
27 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I meant to note that it was very classy and dignified (yet subtle enough not to be  off putting)  of the show, and in particular Kenan, to acknowledge the events in Memphis at the end of the cold open. 

I am pretty sure Michael closed the show with saying "RIP Tyre Nichols".

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

It's difficult for me to compare the two episodes because Aubrey not only has an improv background, she even brought a former SNL writer (Neil Casey) on last week to co-write several of her sketches. There seemed to be more trust in her as a host. As soon as they did the "hot guy" monologue with Michael, I immediately wondered whether they had much trust in him. He did have his moments, but others like when he was on Update, he seemed to struggle with the cards. His best sketch performance live was the one that disappointed me because as is sometimes the case with SNL, there was no clear ending written (the alpha male sketch). Otherwise, as @Trini said, I felt his pre-taped material was very strong. The State Farm pre-tape was one of the best they've had this season. 

The Southwest pre-tape was originally in last week's dress rehearsal. Aubrey wasn't in it, so it seems they just added Michael. The Southwest jokes feel out of date, but I still liked this due to the performers. 

The writing was up and down, but the cast made most of it work for me. I could have done without another week with wacky Bowen and Heidi character sketches...even if this was probably one of the better wacky Bowen character sketches in a while.

I was glad to see James Austin Johnson get to just do characters instead of being dragged out again for Trump. He seemed to be having the time of his life in the car lot sketch with Andrew (a surprisingly strong team). That was another Michael didn't fit for me, although I changed my mind after a rewatch. 

Andrew being in so much of the episode was a pleasant surprise after the last few months. His pre-tape at the end of the show felt like Kyle and Lonely Island together, along with three or four other comedians. I wonder if we'll get more of those the way we did with Kyle. 

At first when they had Mikey as Merrick Garland, I thought it was a Kate cameo. Probably the best cold open this season, whatever that's worth. 

Sarah getting such a prominent sketch, early in the episode, was interesting, just because of seeing how far she was trying to push a grossout element into the format.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

That was HILARIOUS. The State Farm commercial had me giggling for hours. I had no idea Michael Jordan had such comedic talent.

And I loved that pointed referral to the horror in Memphis at the end of the cold open.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Like 8
2 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

because as is sometimes the case with SNL, there was no clear ending written

This has been a problem for many years. There is no big finishes to sketches, they just drizzle out. Kind of kills what could be really good sketches.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Mikey Day was getting shorter every time he went back to the podium, right? I wasn't the only one who noticed that?

I guess I noticed, too. I mean, the third time he came back to the podium I said to myself, Was he that short at the beginning of the sketch?

The second Sarah showed up with that glued on mouth, I knew this sketch was written by her. 

The mouth wasn't glued on; it looked like one of those dental instruments to keep your mouth open.

I thought this was a great show, better than last week's. As I posted last week, I didn't really care for Aubrey in most of her sketches, but I loved MBJ here. The monologue had me grinning and giggling. I esp loved it when Ego came out in the wedding dress. Yes, the show has done this kind of bit before with a hot host, but I thought it was well deserved because MBJ is so cute and hot and nice. Yes, I'm biased.

I really didn't like the Good Morning Today sketch because it just grossed me out, esp when the food was sticking in Michael's beard. I literally averted my eyes.

Loved the Southwest sketched. The bit about the luggage color was inspired. And the motto at the end: If it's that important to you, just walk.

I wasn't so sure about the resort sketch at first. It was reminding me of the Key & Peele valet sketches. But I really liked the characters, and there were plenty of funny lines. "I want to fold the toilet paper into a little triangle, so the first wipe is crazy."

The State Farm sketch was outstanding. The direction it went was unsurprising, but it was so well executed.

The voiceover sketch was ok. My favorite part was Bowen saying, "Yes, chef." Oh, and Auditory Recency Bias? Is that a real thing?

During WU when Colin was doing the bit about George Santos, I didn't understand something he said after remarking that Santos said he was never a drag queen. "OK, honey. We knew that from your ___." What did he say at the end? Heidi's boxing-movie girlfriend is very well done, very accurate, but I wasn't really feeling it until 'Creed' came out. It improved after that.

Male Confidence Seminar was ok. Michael made it work.

The bachelorette party sketch was ok. Well, actually as I think about it, I changed my mind. It was probably the weakest sketch of the night, though I did like the line about the wife being over a year pregnant.

The Toyota commercial was fantastic. Really loved it. We have Cane's restaurants around here, and I've heard that their chicken fingers are great, so the popularity of that, Chick-Fil-A, and In-N-Out messing up the dealership's business was spot on and hilarious.

Falling Down was ok. Again, there were some lines that made me laugh, like Andrew saying, "Hey, I'm at work. If you don't want me to see you fall down, quit falling down where I work." "Sometimes, you fall. And sometimes, I there."

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The moment when MBJ was stripping and the cameraperson went RIGHT into the frame was so funny, like how into the show were they?

I didn't see that. I watched this morning on Hulu, so maybe they reshot that sketch.

16 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't see that. I watched this morning on Hulu, so maybe they reshot that sketch.

probably used the dress rehearsal version. I don't think they reshoot sketches past airing.

• Like 2

I actually liked this ep for the most part. The little absurd details mixed with the occasional outburst of utter derangement worked for me. Have they added any new writers for 2023?

• Bowen fangirling over Obama in the cold open
  • the hair and the clothes and the mouth effect for Sarah and Michael B Jordan (but not the gross food part)
  • Southwest luggage sorted by colour ("that makes it your responsibility -- not ours!")
  • "it's a big ocean and a small little fish", and the fact that each guest who wanted a towel had a different quirk
  • the way Michael B Jordan bonded with Bowen and followed his lead in the voiceover sketch even though it was the opposite of what the director was asking for
  • Che's doorman airing his dirty laundry
  • Michael B Jordan offering just the word "forehead" as the meanest thing he could say about Andrew Dismukes in the men's seminar sketch. (I also laughed at Devon and JAJ's characters in this sketch)
  • Punkie's beautiful outfit in the bachelorette party sketch.
  • Andrew Dismukes' rage against councilman Hugo Gallegos in the Toyota sketch, and the introduction of "jacked" Brian Patmore not for physical violence but to reveal secret ingredients.
  • the idea of animosity between Michael B Jordan and Andrew Dismukes over the falling, especially as a sort of bookend to the men's seminar.

Michael B Jordan seemed adorable to me. The use of the cast seemed pretty well-balanced, although I would like more Punkie and Marcello and less Heidi.

• Like 9

2 things really made me laugh; Che during WU, Just crushing the cringe humor. Also, the Mens group sketch where Michael B Jordan just nailed his part and his forehead comment and the reaction was so funny.

Also, just wanted to send a shout out to Ego for how beautiful she looked tonight with the wedding dress, her sketch and in the goodbyes. She is one of my favorites and I really wish she would get more sketches.

Edited by juno
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I don't know  if it's because i'm Canadian or what, but the Toyota sketch was like trying to watch something in another language without subtitles.  I tried to watch it twice and even tried closed captioning.  I had zero idea what was going on.  Maybe I'll try again.

Ok, this helped.  Just not my humour.  I'm sorry.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I will never understand why anyone wants a name that involves "Lil" or "Baby". This has nothing to do with the musical guest in particular. It's just one of those things I never understand whenever I see it. 

I was annoyed by the constant fawning over MBJ's sex appeal. I get it. We all get it. Nobody on the planet doesn't get it. Now say something new.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Loved Bowen and Sarah's intervention for him. "You have to stop watching Michael B Jordan fall down!"

This is so me getting called into the office for stupid shit!

• LOL 2

I enjoyed the show a bit more than last week's.  Michael B brought a lot of energy and talent. And introduced us to Pop and Lock. Mercy.

Regarding the CO..an example of SNL, as Lorne said decades ago, of "taking the moment to comment on the moment". Of course, SNL has often done this, notably after 9-11 and the Sandy Hook shooting. Last night set just the right tone with Kenan's comment. Tears here in Ohio.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, lou ann b said:

Regarding the CO..an example of SNL, as Lorne said decades ago, of "taking the moment to comment on the moment". Of course, SNL has often done this, notably after 9-11 and the Sandy Hook shooting. Last night set just the right tone with Kenan's comment. Tears here in Ohio.

Despite being a comedy show, SNL has never failed to impress me with its ability to make legitimate, pointed comments/referrals on current events and social issues.

• Like 1

Apparently someone once told Sarah Sherman that making stupid faces (the grosser the better) and yelling at the top of your lungs all the time is funny.  She cannot get off my TV fast enough.

ETA: By the way, who was that woman during the monologue in the top right of the band and behind the band who was taking selfies and at one point shaking a colorful gourd in no particular rhythmic manner? Once I noticed her I couldn't keep from being distracted by her. Especially the selfies. It was bizarre. Who takes selfies on stage during a monologue?

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't know  if it's because i'm Canadian or what, but the Toyota sketch was like trying to watch something in another language without subtitles.  

I enjoyed it, but I've heard a few people say it is especially easy to get if you are from Texas (as Andrew is), so it may be more of a local appeal. 

Speaking of which, Raising Cane's replied (JAJ retweeted it):

14 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I actually liked this ep for the most part. The little absurd details mixed with the occasional outburst of utter derangement worked for me. Have they added any new writers for 2023?

They haven't (Sam Jay returned to guest write but her sketches didn't get on), but it seems many of the writers who usually write a good chunk of the show (Please Don't Destroy, Alison Gates, Kent Sublette, Michael Che, Colin Jost) weren't in anything that got on this week, which may mean the newer writers (aside from PDD of course) getting more of their voices on.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
On 1/29/2023 at 12:57 AM, JeanJean said:

I think this episode has been kind of meh.

One of the things I note with hosts is, how willing are they to look foolish? This one felt like Jordan did not want to go off brand, and his brand is apparently "hot, cool guy." So the show was oddly flat, with skits that stayed safe and even the audience could tell they wouldn't get funny after the initial set up. Contrast that with Plaza, who while attractive clearly doesn't give a crap about that and so she went for it in every skit, which made it funnier.

Monologue that focuses on Jordan being a hot guy? Check. State Farm guy who bangs other guy's wife? Check. Fireman stripper? Check. Guy poking fun at "male confidence seminar" because the guy is more confident than the instructor? Check. 

It was so blatant that the "falling down" skit at the end seemed like a last-minute attempt by frustrated writers to get Jordan past his brand. And even that was mild, with some "stunt fallers." You could argue the trapped rollercoaster news people was a little goofy, but it didn't require Jordan to *be* goofy, he was just putting on a costume (with mouthpiece) and then acting normal.

The whole show felt flat to me, and the audience didn't seem to know what to do except for "woo!" when Jordan was acting like a hot, cool guy.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
19 minutes ago, Ottis said:

It was so blatant that the "falling down" skit at the end seemed like a last-minute attempt by frustrated writers to get Jordan past his brand. And even that was mild, with some "stunt fallers." You could argue the trapped rollercoaster news people was a little goofy, but it didn't require Jordan to *be* goofy, he was just putting on a costume (with mouthpiece) and then acting normal.

There's some truth to the idea that they kept going to the "hot, cool guy" well with Michael, but I think the rollercoaster one involved a lot more goofiness on his part than you're indicating. I mean, the guy was being fed directly from a soup ladle and had food falling out of his mouth and trapped in his beard - that's not exactly in keeping with the hot guy brand.

I will say that I didn't care for the State Farm sketch at all. The use of the other insurance companies was kind of funny, but otherwise it just felt like a retread of the Don Cheadle sketch from a few years ago where a cockroach insinuates itself into a suburban family's life and ends up supplanting and cuckolding the husband. That also featured Mikey and Heidi as the couple in question, oddly enough.

44 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

There's some truth to the idea that they kept going to the "hot, cool guy" well with Michael, but I think the rollercoaster one involved a lot more goofiness on his part than you're indicating. I mean, the guy was being fed directly from a soup ladle and had food falling out of his mouth and trapped in his beard - that's not exactly in keeping with the hot guy brand.

I get that, and admit that when it became clear that the sole joke in that skit was that their faces were frozen and then when they tried to do typical stuff, they couldn't, I fast forwarded through the second half of the one-note skit. Which I would argue supports my original point ... being given a prosthesis and then having things done to you that don't work well because of the prosthesis is akin to being tied up while people throw pies at you. The end result may *look* goofy, but it wasn't because *you* are being goofy - it was being done *to* you. That's allowed in the "cool, hot" guy brand. Yelling in a low, unattractive voice "Fraaaaaaance!" while being in a cheesy beauty pageant skit is a different level of being willing to go for it. YMMV.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ottis said:

I get that, and admit that when it became clear that the sole joke in that skit was that their faces were frozen and then when they tried to do typical stuff, they couldn't, I fast forwarded through the second half of the one-note skit. Which I would argue supports my original point ... being given a prosthesis and then having things done to you that don't work well because of the prosthesis is akin to being tied up while people throw pies at you. The end result may *look* goofy, but it wasn't because *you* are being goofy - it was being done *to* you. That's allowed in the "cool, hot" guy brand. Yelling in a low, unattractive voice "Fraaaaaaance!" while being in a cheesy beauty pageant skit is a different level of being willing to go for it. YMMV.

I didn't care for the sketch at all so I'd never suggest that someone should watch it again, but IF you did, I think you'd see that he was doing more than just standing there having stuff done to him, and he was acting in a goofy manner that took him out of his "hot cool guy" comfort zone.

To be sure, there was a lot of "Michael B. Jordan sure is good-looking" in this episode, sort of like the most recent J. Lo. episode, so there is something to your overall point. I just think he should get a little more credit for breaking out of that than just the "Falling Down" sketch. And even some of the sketches that had that as the starting point zigged in another direction - like the tough guy video game voiceover actor going all in on Bowen's approach, or the car salesman making scary threats to...reveal the restaurant's secret recipe, and so on.

6 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

I will say that I didn't care for the State Farm sketch at all. The use of the other insurance companies was kind of funny, but otherwise it just felt like a retread of the Don Cheadle sketch from a few years ago where a cockroach insinuates itself into a suburban family's life and ends up supplanting and cuckolding the husband. That also featured Mikey and Heidi as the couple in question, oddly enough.

State Farm Reminded Me OF The Teacher Coming On To Ego And Kyle Being Upset ! 

7 hours ago, Ottis said:

One of the things I note with hosts is, how willing are they to look foolish? This one felt like Jordan did not want to go off brand, and his brand is apparently "hot, cool guy." So the show was oddly flat, with skits that stayed safe and even the audience could tell they wouldn't get funny after the initial set up. Contrast that with Plaza, who while attractive clearly doesn't give a crap about that and so she went for it in every skit, which made it funnier.

I think in some cases it's also about how nervous you are being on the show. There was one moment which could have easily been along the lines of the hot, cool guy line - when he was playing Creed on Update - where he struggled with reading the cards, and sort of messed up the flow. It reminded me of just what a learning curve hosts who don't have an improv background have in the more recent years of the show where hosts are put into many more live sketches than they used to be. 

16 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Apparently someone once told Sarah Sherman that making stupid faces (the grosser the better) and yelling at the top of your lungs all the time is funny.  She cannot get off my TV fast enough.

ETA: By the way, who was that woman during the monologue in the top right of the band and behind the band who was taking selfies and at one point shaking a colorful gourd in no particular rhythmic manner? Once I noticed her I couldn't keep from being distracted by her. Especially the selfies. It was bizarre. Who takes selfies on stage during a monologue?

I agree about Sarah Sherman.  I can't stand to look at her in most of her sketches.

I also wondered about that mystery woman in the band.

• Like 2