Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: The Good Boy

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

On the way to their babymoon, Lea and Shaun get a quick lesson in parenting when they rush to aid an injured dog. Meanwhile, Dr. Danica Powell secretly performs an operation on a friend that could jeopardize her career.

Original airdate 1/30/23

• Like 1

I'm glad Powell is gone.

Too bad that Lea and Shaun couldn't keep the dog. Hopefully they got some money back from the parents who let the dog out without a dog tag! (almost like they wanted the dog to get lost!)

Sad that Asher got probation for Powell screw up.

Would Resznick and Park just make up already!!!!

• Like 7

...awwwww, Lea :(. I'm glad the family found their dog, but oh, I felt for her having to say goodbye. I'm glad she and Shaun were there to take care of Buddy and get him the help he needed, and I loved that Shaun had come around to the idea of having a dog. 

Interesting way for Powell to leave. I liked the back and forth between her and Lim over it. Andrews bringing up the recent issues with Shaun was an interesting point. 

Also glad Park and Morgan were able to help save the guy's arm. 

• Like 5

Whelp, with the respect to the past patients of the week (and we've had some good ones), Buddy is definitely already in the top echelon!  Shaun might not have known it, but that was clearly the biggest case of his entire career that needed to be solved at all costs!  Figured they were going to find his owners at the end, but I do wonder if the possibility of having a pet to go with their child could be in play since Shaun seems to be warming up to that idea.  Again though, I have to imagine a lot of focus will be on their son once he is delivered.

Richard Schiff and Paige Spara did great work during the Glassman/Lea scene about his daughter and her fears over messing up as a mother.

So, Powell returns to basically get written off more or less.  Had I liked this character more, I might have been interested in her dilemma, but since I don't, I just found it annoying how uncompromising she was and how she roped both Asher and Lim into it.  And I don't know if I was suppose to feel this way or not, but I actually found it low that she would bring up the time she convinced Lim to not go through with the initial surgery and basically say that she owed her.  Really kind of made me question just a lot about this friendship.  Plus, Lim mentioned something about the bullet "disappearing", but since we saw a nurse bag it, doesn't that mean she (or they if there were more?) had to play a part in this cover-up?  Yeah, I think Andrews suggestion was the right one (honestly, he's actually kind of been on point his season.)

Another case for Park and Reznick to be at odds.  Park was his normal patronizing and condescending self, but I do think he was being accurate that had the patient been conscious, he would have taken the risk over losing his arm for sure.  Still, even though it worked out, it seemed like he realized that maybe his ego was pushing a lot of this.  But, hey, at least both of them seem to be thawing out a little, so maybe there is hope this drama will run its course sooner rather than later.

• Like 6

The undocumented man's surgery and the cover up of a bullet wound in a guy on parole would probably never get by the admin. All kinds of questions would be raised about who was paying, and what happened with a shooting. But this show always handwaves the finances, so I guess I will, too.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, Powell returns to basically get written off more or less.  Had I liked this character more, I might have been interested in her dilemma, but since I don't, I just found it annoying how uncompromising she was and how she roped both Asher and Lim into it.  And I don't know if I was suppose to feel this way or not, but I actually found it low that she would bring up the time she convinced Lim to not go through with the initial surgery and basically say that she owed her.  Really kind of made me question just a lot about this friendship.  Plus, Lim mentioned something about the bullet "disappearing", but since we saw a nurse bag it, doesn't that mean she (or they if there were more?) had to play a part in this cover-up?  Yeah, I think Andrews suggestion was the right one (honestly, he's actually kind of been on point his season.)

Lim: Fire her? I don't know...

Andrews: Asher has learned his lesson. Has Powell?

Powell: Nope, I did the right thing, I'd do it all again.

Lim: Bye, Felicia.

1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Another case for Park and Reznick to be at odds.  Park was his normal patronizing and condescending self, but I do think he was being accurate that had the patient been conscious, he would have taken the risk over losing his arm for sure.  Still, even though it worked out, it seemed like he realized that maybe his ego was pushing a lot of this.  But, hey, at least both of them seem to be thawing out a little, so maybe there is hope this drama will run its course sooner rather than later.

OMG this thing between them has been DRAAAAAAGGGGIIINNNNGGGG OOOONNNN TTOOOOOO LOOOOONNNNGGG, would one of them just die already, they're not right for each other.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

Powell getting written off made sense - she has the least impact of the characters. At least we saw that the right decision was made by her saying she would do it again!

7 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The undocumented man's surgery and the cover up of a bullet wound in a guy on parole would probably never get by the admin. All kinds of questions would be raised about who was paying, and what happened with a shooting. But this show always handwaves the finances, so I guess I will, too.

IIRC in California, medicaid got expanded to cover undocumented immigrants

However, St. Bonaventure doesn't seem like the kind of hospital that takes medicaid - it's a skosh too fancy.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I didn't like Powell either, but she really was in a no win situation. I thought they actually did try to make her at least a little sympathetic with the situation she was in this epsode. I still didn't like her, though! She was, in fact, extremely unlikable. But she had reason in this episode, unlike previously, and unlike when they in the past made Morgan into an unrelenting bitch.

I didn't even notice she was missing last week, until after... and I was relieved when I realized she'd been left out of the episode entirely.

• Useful 2
15 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Plus, Lim mentioned something about the bullet "disappearing", but since we saw a nurse bag it, doesn't that mean she (or they if there were more?) had to play a part in this cover-up? 

Lim actually said the bullet was “offset” (trajectory?), therefore, not reportable. (With all the bullets flying around these days, apparently laws have added exclusions to the mandate to report?) I took this as her following the law to suit both her and Powell’s needs. This way, Powell is out of the surgical program (fired for employment reasons), but not barred from the medical field entirely. And was it conveniently “offset” because it migrated? 

Anyway, from the beginning, Powell seemed better suited to working with Vets: amputees, PTSD, etc. 

• Useful 3
20 hours ago, circumvent said:

The synopsis for the episode sounds like an after school special for teenagers: take care of a dog for the weekend and let's see if you ready to have sex with the possibility of pregnancy. 

yuuup

7 hours ago, jacourt said:

So why was it ok for Lim to do the surgery?  Is it because she is certified? 

I'm guessing because she was treating it like a trauma - she had to try to stabilize the patient.

• Useful 1

i wasn't looking forward to this episode, I don't much care for seeing animals in distress.  It was all fairly painless, however.  That dog was a good actor.  I thought it was funny when the vet asked who was going to pay for the operation, and Shaun and Lea both looked at Glassman.  Glassman loves Lea now?  Seems abrupt, but okay, I guess he knows what she means to Shaun.

It makes sense for Powell to leave, but it's funny that her last appearance (presumably) was her most interesting story.  But she wasn't really gelling on the staff or on the show.  I wonder about Lim though, she didn't really conduct herself in the most up and up way herself, but apparently she's above any sort of punishment.  She participated in the operation at Powell's apartment, and I thought it was suggested that she had a hand in the bullet disappearing.  All's well that ends well, however.

• Like 3

It is rare for me to enjoy the portrayal of autism in this show but I didn't mind it this time. Shaun has shown real growth, the way he talked to Lea. He was able to adapt by being himself, by solving a problem. He was also incredibly sympathetic to Lea's at that disgusting motel. For some autistic people, the complete change in routine, plus the surprises along the way of a well planned, to the minute, trip would cause a lot of stress, sometimes a deep need to rest, for example. But the show did good this time.

Agree that Powell had her best episode but also glad she is gone. I don't know why the writers had that character in the sow. Maybe because they wanted to add another disabled character but they didn't developed her well, she was unlikable in all areas. I find the other new resident (addicted doctor) meh but the writers used the old "addicted doctor in a hospital setting" trope, so it was a safer bet than a disabled doctor they didn't know what to do with, other than display her disability. It speaks to the need of more mainstream education on disability, not simply a token in a show that already has disabled people. Adding disabled actors without a story is pointless.

There was a ridiculous scene during the surgery when Andrews, I guess, asks for the cardiac paddles (is that what they are called?) and Jordan says: "almost ready". I mean, it is a dangerous surgery, things need to be ready because "almost" means a patient dies. 

I was also annoyed that they didn't make a bigger fuss about putting all the burden of deciding the fate of a person on that person's kid. The boy was 16, in a stressful situation, one cannot simply go there and unload the whole thing on him. At least pretend that social services are always amazing supportive and engaged, instead of overloaded. Just add a minor character to the scene.

The surgery guy story was heartfelt but very unrealistic. He is a parolee, there is a lot in that story that got brushed over. And bullets that disappear like that come back to bite a some point (unless the bullet was the JFK assassination magic bullet). Too many people saw it, in the end the poor nurse who collected it would be the one to fall. That story has too many holes (pun intended)

I think I like the show better (or at all) when they are not at the hospital because there is too much magic and miracles happening there and the character are boring. Shaun wasn't yelling "surgery, RIGHT NOW" and that's a plus. Park broods and Resnick does something that makes her unlikable all the time. The rest is all wishful thinking about how the system works

• Like 4

I'm glad that Powell is gone, I am not going to miss her at all. Her "I know everything" attitude was obnoxious and I hate how she was always butting into Lim's business. Andrews was right, she was always going to do whatever she wanted no matter what she was asked to do or what the procedure is with no regrets. 

Buddy is a real cutie, I felt bad that Shaun and Lea bonded with him but had to give him back, but also happy that he's alright and is back with his family. Get that dog a chip or a collar ASAP. I thought they explored Shaun and Lea's fears about parenting well and they did a good job communicating with each other. They are probably going to want to focus on their baby for awhile, but I could see them really enjoying having a pet in a few years. 

• Like 7

I actually never minded Powell.
Do always wonder with these kind of things: do they just introduct a random bunch of new doctors every (other) season, then decide who to keep based on audience response? Or is it all planned ahead?
(Also thinking of that time Asher and Jordan arrived with 2 or 3 other goners)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mvnl said:

I actually never minded Powell.
Do always wonder with these kind of things: do they just introduct a random bunch of new doctors every (other) season, then decide who to keep based on audience response? Or is it all planned ahead?

i kind of liked her and would have liked to see more of her

• Like 1
19 hours ago, circumvent said:

It is rare for me to enjoy the portrayal of autism in this show but I didn't mind it this time. Shaun has shown real growth, the way he talked to Lea. He was able to adapt by being himself, by solving a problem. He was also incredibly sympathetic to Lea's at that disgusting motel. For some autistic people, the complete change in routine, plus the surprises along the way of a well planned, to the minute, trip would cause a lot of stress, sometimes a deep need to rest, for example. But the show did good this time.

Obviously all of Shaun's plots need to take place outside of the hospital 

11 hours ago, Mvnl said:

They do surveys - years ago my mom did surveys for gift cards and she was asked to watch episodes of TV shows and provide feedback on what characters she liked, which she didn't like, ways to possibly improve the characters, relationships she liked between the characters, etc. One that sticks out was for some comedy? We got a VHS tape or two with something like 3-5 episodes to watch. I do not remember the name of the show for the life of me, and even if you told me the name of it I would not recognize it.

• Useful 3

How did the friend get shot and why did he go to prison ? I couldn’t hear the dialogue 

glad the little boy got his dog back. A baby and a dog would have been alot  for  Lea  and Shaun.

I think resnick will discover Ivf not going to work… gets back together with park…then they have a baby.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Diana Berry said:

How did the friend get shot and why did he go to prison ? I couldn’t hear the dialogue 

glad the little boy got his dog back. A baby and a dog would have been alot  for  Lea  and Shaun.

I think resnick will discover Ivf not going to work… gets back together with park…then they have a baby.  

yuch... i hope not, i don't like them as a couple and i don't see her character wanting a child

• Like 1

I don't need to like all the characters on a show, but I want them (and their interactions with other characters) to be interesting.  Dr. Romano on ER, for example: I would have loathed him if I had to work with him, but he was a great character (until his last season or so) and I enjoyed his scenes.

Apparently the dog did not have a microchip. They should have mentioned that, and suggested that his family have one put in.

2 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

I don't remember the reason why he went to prison but he got shot because he was in a place where a gang was causing mayhem and he didn't want the probation officer (?) to think he had anything to do with the whole thing. I think that's the gist of it.

• Like 1

JHFC, have these people never heard of MICROCHIPPING THEIR DOG?!

Not at all sorry to see Powell go. I couldn’t stand her.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:51 PM, thuganomics85 said:

So, Powell returns to basically get written off more or less.  Had I liked this character more, I might have been interested in her dilemma, but since I don't, I just found it annoying how uncompromising she was and how she roped both Asher and Lim into it. 

Much as I despised Powell, to be fair, she didn’t rope Lim into it. Lim forced her way in when she heard the guy groaning.

Edited by CarpeFelis
typo
17 hours ago, bros402 said:

Obviously all of Shaun's plots need to take place outside of the hospital 

They do surveys - years ago my mom did surveys for gift cards and she was asked to watch episodes of TV shows and provide feedback on what characters she liked, which she didn't like, ways to possibly improve the characters, relationships she liked between the characters, etc. One that sticks out was for some comedy? We got a VHS tape or two with something like 3-5 episodes to watch. I do not remember the name of the show for the life of me, and even if you told me the name of it I would not recognize it.

I remember doing something similar once many years ago, but in this case it became painfully obvious from the survey questions that they didn’t care about the show. They were wanting to know how effective the commercials were!

Edited by CarpeFelis
6 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I remember doing something similar once many years ago, but in this case it became painfully obvious from the survey questions that they didn’t care about the show. They were wanting to know how effective the commercials were!

There are actually sites nowadays where you can watch pilots and rate them (well, they are one of the kinds of surveys you can do)! I did some around... 6, 7 years ago - all for pilots that ended up not getting picked up.

• Thanks 1
On 1/31/2023 at 3:47 PM, Daff said:

On 1/30/2023 at 11:51 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Plus, Lim mentioned something about the bullet "disappearing", but since we saw a nurse bag it, doesn't that mean she (or they if there were more?) had to play a part in this cover-up? 

Lim actually said the bullet was “offset” (trajectory?), therefore, not reportable.

Lim told Powell the bullet was misplaced. 

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, Lukeysboat said:

Lim told Powell the bullet was misplaced. 

Went back to check, with cc and yes, you’re right. That makes Lim’s actions truly unethical. The absence of a bullet doesn’t relieve her of her duty to report a gunshot wound. SHE didn’t see “the point” of reporting it?? Not her call. 

• Like 2
On 2/7/2023 at 6:41 AM, Daff said:

Went back to check, with cc and yes, you’re right. That makes Lim’s actions truly unethical. The absence of a bullet doesn’t relieve her of her duty to report a gunshot wound. SHE didn’t see “the point” of reporting it?? Not her call. 

My husband kept insisting that some future audit of the hospital's records would reveal a gunshot wound that wasn't reported. I wasn't so sure that there is any agency that would track that -- not like the police would come sniffing around for that information. Maybe insurance? For liability? 

I agree with Thuganomics, it was low of Powell to tell Lim that she owed her. For what, it never felt like she had her best interests at heart, more like she was trying to recruit to the disabled club. I did not like Powell and I won't miss her.

• Like 2
On 1/31/2023 at 8:33 AM, possibilities said:

I didn't even notice she was missing last week, until after... and I was relieved when I realized she'd been left out of the episode entirely.

I did notice last week when they were all sitting on the floor outside the operating room. I did wonder about that, and now I know why.

I was not a huge fan of her either.

But wow, they have a serious revolving door of surgical interns at the hospital!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I just started catching up with this show after its hiatus.  Not that I was planning on giving it up or anything, but I've had eye surgery and a few other things going on, so TV just wasn't really a high priority for me.  

At any rate, I really loved this episode, much more than I have in the last few seasons. 

I loathe Powell, so I think I'm biased about anything she does, and that pretty much sums up how I felt about her this episode as well.  I really hope that was the end of her stint on this show, but I doubt that it was. 

I'm not sure how I feel about Park and Morgan, but it's nice to see them supportive of each other.  

As for Shaun and Lea, I've done a done a complete 180.  They are a great couple and seem to have so much love.  I can't quite forgive the show for making Shaun an abusive ass and Lea coming to accept that, but I'm glad to see a loving and supportive relationship between them now.  

P.S:  Somehow I realized I missed an episode since the show came back, so I'll have to go back and watch, and then hopefully get caught up with further episodes sometime this week.  

• Like 1