Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E11: Soldier Up

• Start Topic

Airing January 12, 2023:

While Benson tries to help the gang member who attacked her, Duarte reveals a shocking piece of evidence in the case. Fin is tasked with hiring new detectives for the Bronx SVU.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Does anyone have any idea how long this “SVU goes to the Bronx/gang coming after Benson” storyline is going to go on for? I was very bored during the last episode which was a disjointed mess, and if it’s going to take up the entire second half of the season I may quit. It really seems like these writers are clueless as to what to do with the show because this season has been pretty bad so far. 

• Like 8

I don't know. Doubt anyone does.

But a part of me is wondering if the whole Fin hiring Bronx SVU detectives is floating whether some spinoff would fly with Fin as lead should MH want to call it quits or something?

Probably not, but it strikes me as odd.

• Like 6
22 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Does anyone have any idea how long this “SVU goes to the Bronx/gang coming after Benson” storyline is going to go on for? I was very bored during the last episode which was a disjointed mess, and if it’s going to take up the entire second half of the season I may quit. It really seems like these writers are clueless as to what to do with the show because this season has been pretty bad so far. 

22 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

But a part of me is wondering if the whole Fin hiring Bronx SVU detectives is floating whether some spinoff would fly with Fin as lead should MH want to call it quits or something?

Probably not, but it strikes me as odd.

I'll go a step farther. I wonder if the SVU finally finds it's end, because doesn't NBC contract end with Wolf after this season? There is no story of renewal or cancellation. I think we will see a lot more of Benson all the way to the end of the season.

Edited by dttruman
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
14 minutes ago, dttruman said:

I'll go a step farther. I wonder if the SVU finally finds it's end, because doesn't NBC contract with Wolf after this season? There is no story of renewal or cancellation. I think we will see a lot more of Benson all the way to the end of the season.

I’m really wondering if SVU is done after this season as well. The writers seem absolutely clueless as to what to do with the show and this whole squad to the Bronx/another Benson in danger arc makes me think that the current writers have run out of ideas and are just pulling stuff out of their asses. Season 24 has been weak so far, and I’m wondering if this is it for SVU. 

• Like 4
23 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I love Fin, but I have less desire to see the Bronx SVU than Aroldis Chapman.

7 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’m really wondering if SVU is done after this season as well. The writers seem absolutely clueless as to what to do with the show and this whole squad to the Bronx/another Benson in danger arc makes me think that the current writers have run out of ideas and are just pulling stuff out of their asses. Season 24 has been weak so far, and I’m wondering if this is it for SVU. 

Perusing the numbers it looks like the zombified corpse of SVU will shuffle on unless Mariska decides she has had enough. It might last until scripted network television itself ends at this rate. NBC has much bigger problems and the series is still profitable for NBCUniversal even if it's creatively bankrupt. I do wish that someone at NBC had the guts to pull the trigger us a proper final season with lots of returning cast members (sort of like ER did) and put Hate Crimes on air to replace it as from what we saw of the cast and scripts that they used last season it would be a far better show. Mariska could do guest spots on that and L&O: OC and go off and do some sort of women in peril true crime series for Peacock. Ice-T could cameo and go make commercials and realty shows. I'm sure the rest of the cast would land on their feet as well, if nothing else as series regulars on FBI VICAP or having their characters move to Chicago. If only somebody somewhere among TPTB had the slightest interest in quality and creativity...

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Looks like a very good premise for tonight episode, where the BX9 gang threaten rape of possible new gang members relatives. I still don't know how Benson is allowed to work this case since she is a victim of the case she is working on. I also can't get it out of my head that Duerte maybe the real brains behind BX9 and the other guy is a figure head. Can a tree full of panties (or possible victims of rape)  actually hold DNA evidence, even if it's been in the open air for at least a year? With the rain and snow, I find it very unlikely, but there might be few that still contain evidence. It's funny how they close (what is it) 100 rapes in two days, so much for proper story telling and how they get a witness in the last 10 minutes to testify against Papa with rock solid evidence. Well it has been a better episode than some in the first half of the season

Edited by dttruman
  • Like 1

Wow.  Benson's howl at The Rape Tree was certainly...a choice.

55 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

There’s a person whose last name is Churlish??

And another character tonight was named Clem Shirk.  I mean, I know there are legal considerations when naming fictional characters on TV shows, but are they now just going for the most ridiculous names possible so they don't get sued?

• Like 7

I have less than zero interest in this storyline, and it’s a jumbled mess that’s hard to follow. We’ve seen numerous Benson in danger plots and big bad villains threatening her over and over and I just don’t care. I’m reminded of why I quit OC in this episode, it was just too hard to follow. The good news is is that this plot will apparently be over after the next episode.

Nice to see Carisi again, and Fin had some good lines as well but neither of them were in it enough. Velasco is good, but I hate Muncy, she has the emotional maturity of a 12 year old, where does she get off on hitting one of her bosses?! She’s a terrible addition the squad and appears totally clueless.

Benson screaming in the forest was classic MH overacting and was just painful to watch.

I’m hoping for good court scenes in the next episode but I’m afraid it will just be a soapy mess designed to placate the Benson/Stabler shippers.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

Hargitay doing too much with the screaming. Muncy has not been a good addition at all, I can't thin of anything good that she brings to the table. With Rollins gone I was hoping I would see more Fin, he is too underutilized and it's a damn shame because he's great character. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

Benson screaming in the forest

Oh, for the love of God...

Unless Liv encountered the Blair Witch or the other witch that wanted to eat Hansel & Gretel, there is no reason for this hackneyed crap.

Sigh.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5

Oscar Papa is a cold blooded psychopath but his greatest crime in this episode was talking with his mouth full. That is something I cannot deal with. At all. I wanted them to shoot him just for that.

The reason I stopped watching SVU four gazillion years ago was Melloni's over the top emoting and chewing of scenery. I started watching again after he left and when there was nothing else on that I wanted to watch in scripted tv on Thursday nights. So I have tolerated Hargitay for a few years now. But she is in Melloni territory with the dumb OTT crap now and getting worse every season. Also, it's all about her all the time. I find it hard to believe that she, of all people, is the one who keeps getting awards for these awful performances in this show.  Camryn Manheim would clean her clock by just walking into a squad room. 

Do you think MH threw the scream into that scene herself? I would hope that no professional writer would pen that stupid scene that way. It's gotta be her, right? 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, Demian said:

And another character tonight was named Clem Shirk.  I mean, I know there are legal considerations when naming fictional characters on TV shows, but are they now just going for the most ridiculous names possible so they don't get sued?

I am not a lawyer, but I have over 40 years of experience watching Perry Mason, but doesn't that disclaimer at the beginning cover that?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

The Good:
Carisi. He was one of the few people who were simply doing there jobs well, with the personal element in the background and shown clearly, but with a degree of subtlety and nuance. And he even got to tell Benson she was being ridiculous.
Fin. Again he was professional and had mostly competent or better writing throughout.
Velasco. He seems to have replaced Carisi as the squad member young enough to run and blend in who is actually written as a detective instead of as someone with trauma and empathy who just happens to have a badge.
The Bronx SVU guest cast. It was nice to see a group of detectives who simply wanted to solve sexually based offenses.

The Bad:
Waaaay too much BS (Benson Stuff). There was the ridiculous crusade to save the souls of criminals and change society. The ridiculous overacting (if a Benson screams in the woods and nobody cares does it make a point?). The terrible tactics and investigative work. The heavy handed exposition. Basically every terrible trope and acting choice we have grown to loath over the last decade or so packed into one episode. We even got the hypocritical "cathartic" police violence. About the only thing missing was Noah actually on screen.
Muncy is being used terribly in an episode where she feature heavily if the writer knows anything about character development and story logic.
The promo. Another week of this crap???!!! As a springboard to B/S shipping??????!!!!!!!!!

Another dud episode. At least it was better than last week?

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

So I have tolerated Hargitay for a few years now. But she is in Melloni territory with the dumb OTT crap now and getting worse every season. Also, it's all about her all the time. I find it hard to believe that she, of all people, is the one who keeps getting awards for these awful performances in this show.  Camryn Manheim would clean her clock by just walking into a squad room. 

Do you think MH threw the scream into that scene herself? I would hope that no professional writer would pen that stupid scene that way. It's gotta be her, right? 

She gave another one of her speeches to that kid who tried to kill her, so I thinking Haritay is hoping she gets another Emmy Award for that, even though she got many lesser awards. Got to give you credit for Manheim, she is talented in both drama and comedy. Loved her on an episode of "Two and a Half Men". It wouldn't surprise me if she came up with that scream herself, I just wonder if was suggested to the director or if she forced the director to use it.

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

The Good:
Carisi. He was one of the few people who were simply doing there jobs well, with the personal element in the background and shown clearly, but with a degree of subtlety and nuance. And he even got to tell Benson she was being ridiculous.
Fin. Again he was professional and had mostly competent or better writing throughout.
Velasco. He seems to have replaced Carisi as the squad member young enough to run and blend in who is actually written as a detective instead of as someone with trauma and empathy who just happens to have a badge.
The Bronx SVU guest cast. It was nice to see a group of detectives who simply wanted to solve sexually based offenses.

The Bad:
Waaaay too much BS (Benson Stuff). There was the ridiculous crusade to save the souls of criminals and change society. The ridiculous overacting (if a Benson screams in the woods and nobody cares does it make a point?). The terrible tactics and investigative work. The heavy handed exposition. Basically every terrible trope and acting choice we have grown to loath over the last decade or so packed into one episode. We even got the hypocritical "cathartic" police violence. About the only thing missing was Noah actually on screen.
Muncy is being used terribly in an episode where she feature heavily if the writer knows anything about character development and story logic.
The promo. Another week of this crap???!!! As a springboard to B/S shipping??????!!!!!!!!!

Another dud episode. At least it was better than last week?

Good call again!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, dttruman said:

It's funny how they close (what is it) 100 rapes in two days

I doubt, under the circumstances, that most of those rapes were reported. So they didn't close 100 rapes from the backlog (which is what McGrath implied), they created 100 new rape cases that they then closed. There is a difference!

• Like 4

I hate this storyline.  Too many people with too many agendas.  That chief of D's.... its almost as if this guy was never a cop.  Why is he so dumb when it comes to the methods of solving crimes.  

Why does Olivia talk with that deep staccato voice when Mariska's  voice is no where near that?  I hate that too.  

I like that OC has one storyline through out the season...it just doesn't work for me on SVU, told my daughter yesterday - can't we go back to to the days of a co-ed doing something wrong at Hudson U?

Edited by TV Diva Queen
ETA: to add "doesn't" because it makes a difference
  • Like 5
11 hours ago, Demian said:

I’m waiting for assorted members of the Lerpiss family from Parks & Rec. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I doubt, under the circumstances, that most of those rapes were reported. So they didn't close 100 rapes from the backlog (which is what McGrath implied), they created 100 new rape cases that they then closed. There is a difference!

Good point, but I still say it would be hard to check for DNA when those under garments have been outside getting rained and snowed upon for many years. Since most weren't reported, would it then be a "He Said, She said" sort of thing and the only thing going for the victims would be the Maestro's testimony and his recordings with Papa to support the evidence? If something happens to the Maestro, like things have been happening to others, would that hurt all their cases? I think the Maestro may have an accident next week.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I hate this storyline.  Too many people with too many agendas.  That chief of D's.... its almost as if this guy was never a cop.  Why is he so dumb when it comes to the methods of solving crimes.  

I don't really know who is to blame for this. Are the writers using this method, where they dumb down other characters or make them look apathetic to make another a certain captain of SVU Manhattan look really smart or compassionate respectively? Or are the writers ordered by Executive Producers to use this method every week?

• Like 4

This show would be 10x times better without the emotional Benson speeches. She doesn't even need it.
I really enjoy it when she is just doing police work. 
And that scream was so awkward...
I bet Oscar Papa will manage to get free on some legal technicality and he will be another of the dozens of Big villains coming after our Olivia.

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 5
7 hours ago, dttruman said:

I am not a lawyer, but I have over 40 years of experience watching Perry Mason, but doesn't that disclaimer at the beginning cover that?

A girl I grew up with has a brother-in-law who wrote for nighttime soap some years ago (Knot's Landing, I think).  He named a character after her - and said it's a pretty common practice!

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Even by Mariska standards she was really hamming it up this week. This episode just screamed "Emmy Consideration" from start to finish, especially with that big speech to the kid in the hospital and her awkward rape tree scream. Holy crap was that awkward, I actually laughed despite the horrible things happening. This episode was just ridiculous, that's two insufferable episodes in a row. I hate this stupid gang story, its just another one of those "Olivia in danger" plots mixed with a "big scary super villain" plots, both of which are always a huge drag. Olivia's stupid crusade is just so boring, I am so glad that at least it will hopefully be over by next week. There isn't even really that much to say, this was just boring. Like last week and the rapist targeting deaf women, the idea of a gang using rape to threaten people is an interesting thing to explore, but its all drowned in Olivia soapy nonsense. 

I never thought that I would ever have to type the words "rape tree" unless I was talking about Evil Dead, but here we are.

So many stupid Olivia speeches, she was really going full savior. I just hate that stupid tone she gets every time she gets on her soapbox, its just dripping in condescension and self importance. 

The rest of the squad was fine, except for Muncy, who just fully sucks. I really do not think that she should be a cop, she comes across as way to volatile and stupid. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 11

I don't have much to add but I want to agree with everything others have said about the horror that was this episode. It felt like it was about twice as long as usual because the writing and acting was all SO BAD. I asked my husband how long it took the monkeys with typewriters to draft this episode. Apologies to monkeys, who would doubtless do better than this.

14 hours ago, wknt3 said:

The ridiculous overacting (if a Benson screams in the woods and nobody cares does it make a point?). The terrible tactics and investigative work. The heavy handed exposition. Basically every terrible trope and acting choice we have grown to loath over the last decade or so packed into one episode. We even got the hypocritical "cathartic" police violence. About the only thing missing was Noah actually on screen.

All of this. I do not enjoy getting preached at and having everything explained to me. Show, don't tell, stupid writers 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Demian said:

Wow.  Benson's howl at The Rape Tree was certainly...a choice.

Best moment of my week, I think I burned 500 calories with my belly laugh at her primal scream. 

hate when they do serialized stories. The reason SVU is such a cash cow is because each dumb episode is a one-off. It's fun when years later they have a new crime that's a call back to an earlier season, but serialization only exposes SVU's many weaknesses. Nobody wants that, we just want our dumb fix! I know they feel like they have to try different things to keep up with streaming & prestige TV but every time they try they fail. STICK TO THE FORMULA. Get silly, give us some rich incestuous families or some pervy politicians. This is not a gritty gang show! Serializing it makes me less likely to tune in next week because I already know I don't like the story. It's much better to give me a new one each week and I can foolishly pretend maybe this next one will be good! 44 minutes of my life, that's all.

• Like 9
  • Applause 3

Long time lurker to this thread. Finally had to log in and vent.

Mariska should have her Emmy from 15 years ago repossessed because of that ridiculous scream. I felt secondhand embarrassment for her, but I think she sees it as award-worthy acting.

It's hard to believe this is still the same show that used to be so strong, capable of giving us complex, creepy, disturbing, and usually very well-acted and emotionally involving crime drama. Any bit of nuance and complexity went out the window quite a while ago and, at this point, the show has nothing new or interesting to say and has no other reason for continuing to exist other than that it still makes money for Dick Wolf and the network and because it is Mariska Hargitay's personal vanity project. The show has suffered tremendously from Mariska's ego and her apparent insistence that everything remain focused on Olivia at all times and that Olivia gets to be the hero at all times. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I haven't seen the episode yet but I think that's SVU's other problems (the first one being that it's too focused on advocacy as opposed to the case). Too many agendas. In the first half of the show, there never was this much department intrigue and I really don't know why they thought they needed it. Benson's supposed to run the squad and have her squad solve cases. The show doesn't need additional intrigue and Benson doesn't need an adversary. It's not that kind of show and it serves no real purpose.

• Like 4
On 1/10/2023 at 10:31 AM, dttruman said:

Does anyone have any idea how long this “SVU goes to the Bronx/gang coming after Benson” storyline is going to go on for? I was very bored during the last episode which was a disjointed mess,

That's the thing - it's not only a disjointed mess these days -- it's a boring disjointed mess. I can not longer really keep straight who's who - because none of them are particularly interesting.   And yet, I watch.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
22 hours ago, jb1183 said:

Long time lurker to this thread. Finally had to log in and vent.

Mariska should have her Emmy from 15 years ago repossessed because of that ridiculous scream. I felt secondhand embarrassment for her, but I think she sees it as award-worthy acting.

It's hard to believe this is still the same show that used to be so strong, capable of giving us complex, creepy, disturbing, and usually very well-acted and emotionally involving crime drama. Any bit of nuance and complexity went out the window quite a while ago and, at this point, the show has nothing new or interesting to say and has no other reason for continuing to exist other than that it still makes money for Dick Wolf and the network and because it is Mariska Hargitay's personal vanity project. The show has suffered tremendously from Mariska's ego and her apparent insistence that everything remain focused on Olivia at all times and that Olivia gets to be the hero at all times. 

UO, but this show should have ended at least 5 to 10 seasons ago. Now it's a joke.

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

UO, but this show should have ended at least 5 to 10 seasons ago. Now it's a joke.

Oh I agree 100%, I mainly watch SVU to hate watch it now, it’s a shame because it used to be great, but it’s a joke now - endless Benson melodrama, stale, predictable writing, and terrible trashing of good characters - just look at the god awful exits for Barba and Stone. It doesn’t help that Mariska can’t act her way out of a paper bag now, and she’s so egotistical that she demands the spotlight be all on her now, I think her influence has been the main cause of the show’s decline. It hasn’t been a good show since Munch and Cragen left in season 15, there have been some good episodes here and there, season 17 was pretty good overall and the start of season 22 was good, but overall the show isn’t good now. 
This storyline is a classic example of the poor quality of the show now, it features tired, stale tropes of Benson in danger, Benson personal melodrama, big bad super villains threatening Benson, and no role for anyone else. And Rollins last episode was more about Benson/Noah than Rollins, I’m not a Rollins fan but she should’ve been front and center in that episode.

I hope the Mothership outlasts SVU now that’s it’s back, I know a lot of people have issues with the Mothership revival but it’s quality is miles better than SVU, mainly because it focuses on cases not personal drama and doesn’t overfocus on any one character.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
On 1/14/2023 at 5:23 AM, jb1183 said:

It's hard to believe this is still the same show that used to be so strong, capable of giving us complex, creepy, disturbing, and usually very well-acted and emotionally involving crime drama.

Actually during the last Stabler seasons and the few that followed it was even worse. Much much worse. With all of his faults, I still find it watchable.  Although not as good as it was the first 4-5 seasons..
Right now it is a TV habit for me. I still try to understand why I kept watching during those horrible seasons.
Could it be SVU addiction? 😁

• Like 5
15 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

Did Benson not speak Spanish? And Italian, and French IIRC?

Thank you for bring that up and reminding me, because I thought she never trusted Duerte and she was doing that to test him to see if he was in league with Papa.

• Like 1

All of Mariska’s overacting was not only extremely cringe, it made Olivia look like an idiot. This woman is a twenty some NYPD veteran and captain of SVU, is she really so shocked by the kid who tried to kill her being young? She’s dealt with tons of cases where kids way younger then fifteen did way worse things then that, why did she practically pass out when he said he was fifteen? It was the same with her ridiculous rape tree scream, she’s dealt with way worse than this, having her freaking out every five seconds makes her look like some jumpy rookie and not an experienced leader. I know it’s so Mariska can try for that Emmy and do we can be impressed by how much she “cares” but it just makes her look stupid. 

• Like 8
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

It was the same with her ridiculous rape tree scream, she’s dealt with way worse than this, having her freaking out every five seconds makes her look like some jumpy rookie and not an experienced leader. I know it’s so Mariska can try for that Emmy and do we can be impressed by how much she “cares” but it just makes her look stupid. 

I am willing to bet that SVU is cancelled after this season and they are going to give Hargitay an Emmy as a going away present instead of for quality of work

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, dttruman said:

I am willing to bet that SVU is cancelled after this season and they are going to give Hargitay an Emmy as a going away present instead of for quality of work

I doubt this only because of the three L&O shows on the air now, this one is STILL the highest rated. And no way will NBC end it until every last drop of blood is wrung from the stone.

Not to mention that broadcast shows generally don't rack up many awards these days... *

(* Abbott Elementary being the latest exception to the rule!)

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I doubt this only because of the three L&O shows on the air now, this one is STILL the highest rated. And no way will NBC end it until every last drop of blood is wrung from the stone.

Not to mention that broadcast shows generally don't rack up many awards these day

I would generally agree with that, but the episodes have consistently taken complete nose dives when it comes to quality.

2 hours ago, dttruman said:

I would generally agree with that, but the episodes have consistently taken complete nose dives when it comes to quality.

Networks don't care about quality. They care about $$$$$$. And this show still makes some of that for NBC.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 1/14/2023 at 11:18 PM, Zaffy said:

Actually during the last Stabler seasons and the few that followed it was even worse. Much much worse.

I partially agree. As I have mentioned before there tends to be quite a bit of romanticizing that goes on regarding the level of quality of the series in the past. Part of it is that even the nadir of the first 15 years had a higher budget and more connections to the glory days of the show, even as it was tenuous at times with some of the classic characters disappearing for multiple episodes with the flimsiest of excuses to save money during the first rounds of budget cuts. I'm not sure however that it was much worse than the present. For one thing there was a certain level of narrative competency and production values that they don't seem to be have the budget to maintain today. I will say that Season 18 was consistently worse than present day SVU, but this season seems to be heading in that direction, with this episode being a prime example of that trend.

5 hours ago, dttruman said:

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Networks don't care about quality. They care about $$$$$$. And this show still makes some of that for NBC.

Correct. There is usually a certain amount of consideration given to quality, but it comes from the stars and producers. And in this case the 2 people who could make that call are more than willing to trash their legacy to keep collecting big checks. Sometimes network executives will consider quality as part of protecting the long term value of a series and the network, and to try to goose ratings by doing a final season "farewell tour" but NBC has too many problems and none of the executive weasels is sure how long linear television will even exist so they aren't going to make the call even if transitioning to something new might be a better long term move.

Edited by wknt3
ducking autocorrect
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I think some fans have noticed the cheapness of the show and the ratings have gone down a little. That will get the Network's attention and I going to assume Benson is getting tired of the drag also.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

If the Emmys have a category for Most Cringeworthy Moment That Turned a Drama Into a Comedy, the Benson rape tree scream scene is it.

They retired that award 15 years ago or so ...

cmbb.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I know that technology has come a long way, but how realistic is that they could get that much DNA off underwear exposed to the elements for that long? Animals, wind, rain, and snow would seem to hurt DNA chances.

Edited by ScorpioSoul